• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am truly sorry to hear that. I have had my share of problems with EEP as well, it is almost impossible to load a game from within a game. I believe that the EU2 engine has some sort of memory leak fault or whatever, that kicks in when a certain number of events are checked for at all times. And the EEP project might just kick that event limit over the edge, causing these faults.

Sure as hell is annoying to have the game crash at a certain date all the time, or have 3 eep events pop up at one time at the moment you load a game (after it crashed)...hopefully future patches will make EU2 more stable, and EEP will work painfree in the near future... Till then...

which version of the EEP are you playing with? i'm using the EEP_byzantium version in my game and it's worked fine so far (knock wood).

Thanks for the support, lads. :)

Seems as if a fair bit of the EEP players have managed to salvage their savegames, so I suppose it's just me being dim and all.

SM: No... I didn't mod anything else in the savegame. I even tried not looking at my BB... ;)

Galleblære: You've actually managed to load a game from within another game??? :eek: Wow! I've never managed that! CTD-O-Rama as soon as I try some trick like that...

Oddly enough, I have a few other EEP savegames (like Oman) working perfectly. I think I should've bought a computer that didn't have those Intel IV processors. They can measure your emotions... :D

KoN: EEP 1.1a_BYZ. :) So check province 418 (Poitou/city: La Rochelle) in the savegame, and delete it from France. :)

I've become disappointed and disgusted with the EEP as of late. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to use it to finish up my Eire AAR... unless I can use the save game without it.

Thank you for pointing out the Rochelle bug, I am glad I got this fixed before it corrupted my game. I am sorry that your's has been corrupted by it.

don't you mean delete it from england? :p

i'll do that when i get home.

thanks for the heads-up, but sorry that your game got ruined because of it. hope you can fix it.

btw, did you report it in the bug forum?

Originally posted by King Of Nines

btw, did you report it in the bug forum?

Don't report it there, as they will just tell you it is a EEP issue and close the thread. ;)

It's an EEP problem, so it should definitely be reported in EEP forum.

It was reported a few days ago. Replies have been less than useful, and the thread seems like it's pining for the fiords. You all know what that means. ;)

Still, I'll wait until over this weekend on deciding what to do. If I restart, I'll delete my posts, and then start from scratch. Which'll make your posts look rather silly, lads... :D

Originally posted by Norgesvenn

Still, I'll wait until over this weekend on deciding what to do. If I restart, I'll delete my posts, and then start from scratch. Which'll make your posts look rather silly, lads... :D

Oh, don't tell the poor manservant. He's in for a serious beating if that happens. :D

Seriously, I'll obviously delete my posts, and promise never to bring up anything of the sort in your restarted AAR. :)

LT

What? No manservant beatings? But, but... those are needed! :)

Hopefully, it won't come to that, anyway. :)

i get the feeling that the EU2 gods (BiB and co.) frown upon the EEP as a blasphemy...

I still have the CTD while loading the savegame, despite heavy editing of potentially hazardous details in the files.

So, I suppose that I'll start over. With no EEP, and just good ole EU II.

EDIT: So, from now on; expect posting of an actual AAR in this thread... :)

Anyway, the "manservant" line is too funny to leave out. Particularly considering that the word "helmet" was in that same line... ;)

So, don't delete your replies unless you feel that they are completely out of sync. The first part will probably follow the same strategy anyway. Pity that I had to quit, though. I had Kurland and the Highlands along with Holstein, Vorpommern and Mecklemburg. Things looked good. But, given that I was unable to load the savegame, I found it best fo start all over... :)

Last edited:
Okay, we're off again. I think this must be the longest "not-going-anywhere-so-far" thread in the forum... :D

I'll probably post the first details of Erik's reign tomorrow. :)

Tragedy. Absolute tragedy. Glad you're not so disgusted that you're giving up though.

Strangely, this seems to remind me of a certain MP game...you haven't been drinking and spilt something in your computer now have you? :D

Are you suggesting pieces of silicone do not desire to enjoy beer and cigarettes, MrT??? :eek: :D

Actually, it bugs me a lot that I was unable to find the culprit for the CTDs. EU II without the EEP is probably more stable, and I'm having great fun playing. :)

Help!! I can't find the AAR!! :confused: :D

The Reign of Erik of Pommern – The Years Of Expansion

Historical snippets and tid-bits: Erik af Pommern became king of Norway in 1388 at the tender age of 15. After the death of his aunt Margareta I, he also became Union king of the triple monarchy of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. What could have been a great reign (considering the length of it) was spoiled by Erik’s inability to heed the advice of the councils and his increasingly damaging and unpopular wars with the Hanseatic cities of Northern Germany. He was dethroned by 1438, and ended his life as a pirate on Gotland, having raided his former holdings in Bjørgvin (Bergen). The Union king was an elected king; it was only in Norway that hereditary kings would rule. This is another reason for Norway’s loss of independence – the Danish king became the hereditary king.

Copenhagen, January 1419.

Northern Europe. Only decades before the whole area was ravaged by the single biggest killer of the era; the Black Plague. Taxes had decreased dramatically, whilst the population had in some areas been halved. The peasants, formerly under huge pressure from the nobility, had won their freedom, as land was readily available in most parts of Sweden and Norway. Denmark remained a bigger agricultural producers than her union partners.

The cold winds blew in from the Skagerack over Sjælland. The flat island offered no shelter from the New Year storms. In the royal castle, king Erik was pacing along in dimly lit room, listening to the wind howling outside.

“Your Majesty…?”. The old servant spoke softly. He didn’t want to enrage Erik.
“Ah… I didn’t hear you coming. I wonder what the new year will bring us, Sten…”
“Your Majesty, I wish I knew too. But we have no sage, nor wise man here”. The old man smiled slyly. “Of course, the Archbishops would balk at such men…”
“Yes, yes. I am worried. I inspected our troops today. It is understandable that they celebrated the new year last night, but they look life riff-raff. Instruct the colonels to intensify the soldiers’ training. Try to make soldiers out of those peasants”. Erik sighed. He still spoke German. The old servant Sven was among the few others at the Castle who spoke German. One of the Norwegian councillors also spoke German. He was a bishop, and had been trained in Lübeck.

A few days later, an emissary from the Swedish Union Council arrived in Lund, having travelled from Kalmar. He was received by the local commander.
“I have a letter to the King”, he said.
“I will see to that it is delivered”.

The gist of the letter was that the Swedish Council requested that Denmark and Norway honoured their obligations stipulated under the Union agreement, and declared war upon Novgorod. Both the Norwegian regent Sigurd Jonsson and Erik followed suit reluctantly.

1419 – Europe ablaze.
In Northern Germany, the Hanseatic alliance was attacked by Poland, Lithuania and Brandenburg. The Hundred Years’ War saw England annexing Orleans, while her former ally and vassal Brittany turned upon Burgundy. Alliances were forged and left just as easily. 1419 also saw a heretic rise to the throne of Bohemia.

The First Hanseatic War

While Sweden and Norway were busy attacking Novgorod, Erik decided to take advantage of the Hanseatic League’s precarious situation, and declared war upon Holstein on the 7th of October. A rag-tag peasant army, supported by some thousand knights invaded Holstein, while the entire Royal Fleet was dispatched to the Sound, where a fleet from Mecklemburg and Pommern was driven back to port. Several Hanseatic ships were sunk.

The Danish war effort was less than brilliant. In January 1420, the entire army was driven back from Holstein, following an attack by forces from Mecklemburg and the Duchy of Holstein. Rumours had it that Erik had flogged one of the commanders afterwards. More troops were levied from every farm in Jylland. Erik was determined to win this war, no matter the costs. To cover his back from unwanted aggression, Erik managed to marry his niece to one of Henry V’s cousins, and also managed to marry into the royal house of Oldenburg.

Erik changed his strategy. He is quoted to say: “Why let the biggest fleet in the Baltic Sea remain unused and just rot in the harbour?”. Troops were landed in Mecklemburg, Holstein and Livland, and sieges were quickly instigated. By the 5th of August, Holstein fell. The army moved into Bremen, and in a bloody battle annihilated Bremens mercenary army. The Hansa was under pressure.

The worried elector of Hannover joined the coalition against Denmark, but as Mecklemburg fell to Erik’s now seemingly invincible troops, Hannover became the next victim of Denmark’s knights.

The Northern theatre saw Danish troops capture Livland, and moving out to be ferried to Pommern. After the fall of Lübeck, Danish knights attacked Stralsund in Vorpommern, burning several small villages on their way. Erik had instructed the knights to put the fear of Danebrog into the Pommeranians. "Show no mercy! Let the Pommeranians eat the scorched remains on their fields and smoked fish!", king Erik shouted to the knights assembled at the castle.

All was not well, as rats escaping from an arrested Hanseatic ship spread the Plague in Gotland. Nearly two thousand people died in Visby alone, rendering the city much like a ghost town.

By April 1423, Hannover accepted to become Denmark’s vassals. The battles against Pommern and the Teutons still raged on, and both Mecklemburg and Holstein refused to bow to Denmark’s demands of full annexation. Erik was furious. When confronted with these setbacks by his councillors, he went into a raging fit. By July, however, Pommern surrendered the city of Stralsund and the province Vorpommern to the Danish crown. It seemed as if Erik’s popularity at home was safe for now. After his knights had ravaged Hinterpommern and burnt the city of Stettin, the king of Pommern agreed to become a Danish vassal.

Mecklemburg’s rump army had sought refuge by taking Berlin from Brandenburg. Erik sent messengers to Brandenburg to get military access, and the elector prince agreed to Erik’s request. Danish armies poured into Berlin, having annihilated a small force of Mecklemburg’s Flemish mercenary troops, and liberated the city. The elector prince wrote a long letter, complimenting and thanking king Erik’s resolution. This alliance was cemented by the marriage of Erik’s young nephew and the elector prince’s youngest daughter in December 1423.

By October of 1423, Bremen agreed to become Denmark’s vassals, and Mecklemburg and Holstein ceased to exist as independent entities, and were swallowed by Denmark. The Hansa’s power was broken, and trade was once again in the hands of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. However, all was not well, as one of Erik’s closest allies, nobleman Søren Bjerregaard, was assassinated by a former Hanseatic official a month later.

January 1424 saw Sweden extracting Ingermanland, Kexholm, Karelia and Kola from Novgorod. A year later, Novgorod ceased to exist as a political entity as it was incorporated into the Greater Grand duchy of Muscowy. King Erik seized the opportunity to marry a daughter of the Grand Duke in Copenhagen the same year amidst grand celebrations.

The next few years were peaceful in Denmark. The rest of Christendom viewed king Erik and Denmark with suspicion, yes, in some cases even outright hostility. The kingdom’s territorial gains had severely damaged its reputation, which was rather bad.