• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If it is only the 1300s you can probably manage a world(such as it is) conquest.

The Flood, Part I- Normans are Coming

War Begins

This time period is also known as the Flood. Basically, it meant that Sayer put the Norman war machine on overdrive and went on to a great conquest spree across Europe. Or, more poetically, like the great dam had broken and released the Normans, who flooded the Europe. It was not a single war, but rather a series of wars, fought all over Europe. Only one thing was common about this- there was no resistance. There were sieges, there were some minor battles, but Europe had been splintered enough and Normans were scary enough that open field battles with the Normans were more of a rarity then norm.

In March 1308, Normans declared war on the following rulers:
- Kaiser Gebhard of the Holy Roman Empire, claiming Duchy of Köln
- Duke Meinhard of Gelre, claiming Gelre
- Duke Seighard of Swabia, claiming Swabia
- Duke Andres II of Uppland, claiming the last land Germans had in Italy, Brescia
- Duke Rudolf of Brandenburg, claiming county of Altmark (and his duchy)
- Duke Anselm II of Thüringa, claiming county Bourgogne
- Duke Markward II of Upper Lorraine, claiming Upper Lorraine
- Countess Beatrice of Poitou, claiming county of Poitou
- Count Peire of Navarra, claiming county of Navarra

In addition, King Anfroi of Frisia went to far for Brabant in January 1308. King Tancred of Burgundy declared war on Duke Arnauld of Burgundy, claiming county of Dijon in April 1308.

Sayer’s personal armies were all occupied in Germany. In addition, armies of France, Aquitaine, Frisia, Bavaria, Italian vassals, Portugal, Barcelona, Burgundy and Germany were used. It is predicted that the total number of Normans in various battlefields across Europe reached over 200 000 soldiers- and that was still not all the Normans had to offer.

First one to fall was Poitou. In May, the province was Norman and the Norman troops marched on to east. Navarra fell in June. So did the Duchy of Gelre.

sicily534.jpg

Situation in Germany in the middle of Summer of 1307. To make it short- everyone is fighting everyone and Normans are everywhere

Meanwhile, in Denmark, Queen Maren I ended her short reign and Johann IV rose to the throne, meaning that the Denmark was united once again and also meaning that they were able to send troops to fight in Germany... for a while. In half a year, Denmark was engulfed in a civil war once again.

sicily535.jpg

New King of Denmark- and after half a year, yet another civil war. They'll run out of Ylvings if they keep it up...

In October, King Anfoi of Frisia took Brabant. In November, Sayer took Anhalt and ended Duchy of Brandenburg. Thus ended the first year of the war.

In January 1309, Duke Anselm of Thüringa gave up his holdings in Burgundy. Also in January, Kaiser Gebhard II gave up Köln, the biggest loyal Duchy he had in mainland Europe. Lastly in January, Tancred of Burgundy took Dijon.

In February, Duke Sieghard of Swabia gave up and ceded the Duchy to Normans. Finally, in April, Duke Markward I of Upper Lorraine gave up, giving Duchy of Upper Lorraine to Normans. Upper Lorraine was all Sayer needed to create the Kingdom of Lotharingia. Duke Adam of Alsace, loyal Hauteville, was given both Upper Lorraine and title of the new King.

A year had passed since the declaration of wars. All the wars but the one with Duke Anders for Brescia had ended in favour of Normans. In total, Sayer gained total 18 provinces during that time alone. The flood had begun...

sicily536.jpg

Kaiser giving up is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Flood! This will be series of short chapters, each about a year. The main problem now is that even when i made a personal record of starting 9 wars simultaneously, there is nothing much to write about them other then "went to province x, assaulted, moved to province y, scared some enemies in the way" etc. No-one dares to fight be no more! Anyways, when the Flood is done, there will not be much of Europe that is not Norman.

Anyways, enjoy the ride!

Nikolai - already on it! :p

SirkTheMonkey - factions... Basically meaning that when i destroy most of the enemy armies, his vassals think it is a good time to rebel. Meaning that the vassals will lose everything as well, but heh, their problem. Anyways, striking fast and hard enough?

Ricardo Rolo - yes, co-operation is the key. Vassals clean up, then i clean up, then they again. Makes things more effective :) And moving on towards monochromatic, but it takes time.

DensleyBlair- Shetland, the final hiding place for the Irish kings. I haven't usurped the title and i've let them keep this one island for their pleasure. So, if you want Kingdom of Ireland, you have to to go Shetland, everything else is Norman. Orkney is Norwegian, yes. As for map- on it!

bogmod- that might be possible. If i manage to splinter up Ilkhanate and not too much people turn Cathar, so i can Holy War till the end, then map conquest might be doable.

Very well played. Grabbing hold of 18 provinces in one fell swoop is nothing to be scoffed at - even for the Normans. Hopefully the conquest will continue yet. Remember - the map needs to be a lovely shade of purple by the end. Those colours in Scandinavia are hideous ;)

So, the empire finally gets to Colonia Agrippina ... :D And so the "Holy" """"""Roman"""""" """""""Empire"""""""" has barely no Roman lands at all and TBH is of the size of one of your vassal kingdoms ( Like Anatolia )

I sincerily hope you make a detour to Denmark to punish them for the griefs they putted you in since they decided to go to Hungary mess out with your plans. And OFC, I hope that the flood gets to atleast Moscow ;)

The mighty flood washes away all Papist filth and leaves the lands a nice shade of Cathar purple. I hope you take advantage of Denmark's disunity to stick the knife in.

once you got europe, you can go reclaim your homeland.

a WC seems to be pretty doable, even if it isnt, i'd be very intrested in seeing how this would playin in eu3/eu4. as OP as could be obviously, but epic.

The Flood, part 2- To the Baltic Sea

Second Wave Begins

In April 1309, the previous wars had almost ended. That meant that Sayer could let the recruited levies go and thus, made way to new declarations of war. Meanwhile, more rulers of the Holy Roman Empire thought it would be a good idea to rebel against their beloved Kaiser- or the Norman conquests had opened up new interesting lands for Normans to conquer.

So, without further ado, here come declarations of war:

- Duke Ruprecht of Luxembourg, owner of a single county of Luxembourg.
- Duke Philip of Meissen, the main revolter, and his main holding of Meissen. Unfortunately, this does not end the rebellion as Philip also owns part of Saxony and Thüringen.
- Duke Manfred of Mecklenburg and his 4-province Duchy of Mecklenburg.
- Count Steyn of Gelre, a single province in the Kingdom of Frisia
- Count Ruprecht of Breda , a single province in the Kingdom of Frisia

In addition, former King of Leon, now Duke of Badajoz, Guichard de Capet, had to face another rebellion- a league led by Count Julien d’Anjou of Nevers. Result- Queen Maud of Aquitaine declare war on Nevers in May 1309, followed by King Tancred of Burgundy with declaration of war against other former subject of Guichard, Count Alain of Auxerre. Alain was fighting against tyranny- Guichard thought it would be a good idea to revoke the county. Didn’t matter, in the end, Normans were the ones who gained it. King Anfroi of Frisia also expanded his holdings inland, declaring war on Hainault.

Breda was the first to fall- in July 1309. Gelre followed in August and Luxembourg in September. Nevers fell in October 1309. Hainaut fell in January 1310.

sicily539.jpg

Breda had just fallen, other holdings in Holland are under siege by Normans

Counts of Paris

Something more important happened in January 1310. Queen Clemenza of Leon had finished her war against Guichard, claiming County of Alcantra, part of Duchy of Badajoz. It meant two things: first, there was only one province in Iberia left that was not Norman. Second, Sayer could claim the title of Duchy of Badajoz.

It was the last Ducal title of poor Guichard. When Hugh Capet, first of the Capets and first Capetingian King was crowned back in 987, little did he dream that only 300 years after, his descendants would have squandered it all... Capets, Kings of France and later Leon, proud rulers of Gallia and half of Iberia, had lost it all. Guichard was back where they started- as Count of Paris.

No wonder the loss drove him crazy...

sicily537.jpg

Lands of former King of Leon after Sayer usurped his Ducal title- and Count of Paris himself. Quite a sad lunatic....

The Baltic Sea

In March 1310, Sayer took Mecklenburg. 3 provinces in the shore of the Baltic Lake and an Island of Rügen. It meant that the Normans had gotten themselves first ports upon a new sea- the Baltic Sea. It also meant that the Normans had reached further North then Romans ever did- and to Normans, it was like coming home. Scandinavia, their original homeland, was just a stones throw off. And Baltic Sea used to be the pond of their ancestors...

With the conquest of Mecklenburg, Norman conquest of the last sea of Europe, the Baltic Sea, had begun...

sicily538.jpg

Port to the Baltic Sea is open... and the new Duke

Also in March, King Tancred of Burgundy took Auxerre. Last country to fall was Maissen in June 1310. With that, another wave of Norman flood had washed Europe. Total 11 provinces this time around. As for Brescia- one civil war in Holy Roman Empire ended in Kaiser’s favour, so the white peace was signed and Duchy of Upsala managed to hold the last province in Germany.

This is it! With the fall of Meissen and Mecklenburg, i actually have enough holdings to usurp the title of the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire. Now, if them bastards would finish their civil war, the Holy Roman Empire goes to the recycle bin of history. One problem is that the civil war doesn't seem to end...

Oh, and one mistake about the previous chapter: it was 1308-1309, not 1307-1308. Corrections have been made.

DensleyBlair - pace had slowed down a bit, but overall, the conquest continues. And don't worry, i'm standing in front of canvas and there is nothing but purple color in my buckets!

Ricardo Rolo - yes, one of the biggest provinces, all mine! And i own more land in Germany then Kaiser does. Much more land. As for Denmark- don't worry, they are on the menu.

SirkTheMonkey - right, that you for reminding- i have Pope to deal with as well. :) And don't worry, Denmark will get it!

grumphie - still, i think too OP. If i play Europe Universalis and begin with all of Europe, how long will it be before i conquer Okinawa? :p 100? 150?

If you do claim the Holy Roman Empire title, remember it just gives something for your vassals to want and if you destroy it all de jure lords of the HRE will have a negative opinion modifier of you for a while.

Congratulations on being de facto Holy Roman Emperor. Are you able to create Francia and Britannia as well? I don't imagine you'll be able to do Hispaña, but having five empires would be pretty good ;)

I'm looking forward to the next one.

When you usurp the HRE, will you destroy it? I think you should, Rome need no friggin' second title. It's insulting.;) Also you risk losing half of your empire if some inheritance goes awry.

Not much to say about the conquests. On the point of converting, if you wanted to have a not-cakewalk game you could have the Roman Empire collapse once the CK2 map has been conquered. Break up the Empire into its constituent kingdoms and duchies and you might have an interesting map of Europe. Rename Catholicism and remove the Papacy mechanic and you've got your dominant Cathar faith that can go through a mid-life crisis when some Germanic priest comes up with his theses.

Leon's time came and the Normas saw and conquered. Just a few bits left outside the Roman Empire. New rulers in the hRE are always welcomed with an invasion of the Normans. This war will look to splinter the HRE and then leave former vassals, now independent ripe for a Norman incursion.
You are working your way to Scvandinavia. Its time, too, will come.

To be honest, I would strongly advise you to not usurp the HRE title, because it will either give you a possible inheritance issue ( the HRE at this point does not seem to be elective as the Roman empire is ) or a -50 in relations with the vassals you have in Germany for disbanding ( BTW the same applies to any of the possible emperor titles you can create, except ( maybe, since I'm not sure if cathars can create it ) the Latin empire, because it is a titular ( hence hollow by itself ) title ). It is far better to continue the whack a HRE emperor game until he is the emperor of some long forgotten county in the far north after all his vassals rebelled against him .

On the rest of the update ... I think that the western Europe is pretty much bagged at this point and that your vassals are doing a good job cleaning up the remains ... so you should start hammering the Golden horde before they resolve their internal squabbles. That or go north , that as far as we know, is still as rebel infested as it was some updates ago ...

The Flood, part 3- Clearing out Pawns

Small Wars, Small Gains

In June 1310, Normans continued their hunt, but this time, the game had gotten smaller. More like leftovers from previous conquests, the conquests themselves posed no challenge to the Normans.

The targets this time were:

- Count Payen of Caceres, last of the independent lands in Iberia
- Count Hugues of Bearn
- Countess Adelaida of Charolais
- Count Lothaire of Sens
- Duke Rostislav of Moravia, currently holding counties of Brandenburg and Anhalt, war is against Brandenburg

In September 1310, war for Caceres ended. With that, all of the Iberian peninsula finally belonged to Normans. The conquest had started as early as Asclettin’s time, when in 1142, Normans took the Duchy of Mallorca. First conquest in the mainland of Iberia was done by grandson of Asclettin, Emperor Bohemond I. In 1193, he tried to take Seville, though he died in the process. His son, Bohemond III, finished the job and Normans had gained their first lands in peninsula. Now, a little over 100 years later, they owned it all.

In November, Bearn fell. In November, Sens and finally in December, Charolais. It meant that with the exception of Count of Paris, all of France and Iberia were belonging to the Normans.

sicily540.jpg

Map of Gallia and Hispania

Death of the Kaiser

In December, poor Kaiser Gebhard of the Holy Roman Empire died. Poor Kaiser had ruled for only 3 years when the sneaky Prussian duke Ruprecht managed to outwit the Kaiser in battle and kill. There was much cheering in Norman lands and Sayer sent Ruprecht a complimentary fruit basket. It also meant that new Kaiser Gebhard, just 8 years old, would take the crumbling Empire to his hands. Not much Holy, not really Roman and definitely not an Empire anymore, Gebhard III was probably not very happy child to inherit such a burden.

sicily541.jpg

The new Kaiser.. perhaps the last Kaiser?

In January 1311, Norman war for Brandenburg ended. Also meaning that Normans inherited a war with the Holy Roman Empire, who also had claim on Brandenburg and thought it would be a good idea to make good on that claim- even before the civil war in Gebhard II-s time broke out.

sicily543.jpg

Sometimes, you inherit a war

Cleaning up Some More

While waiting for the war with the Holy Roman Empire to end, Normans turned their eyes more south. In January 1311, the wars were declared on following rulers:

Duke Janos I of Nyitra, for county of Pressburg
Count Kalman of Saris, for the county of the same name.

Both of them were Hungarian, both of them were Arpad and together, they owned two remaining provinces in the Kingdom of Hungary that were not Norman. By July they were over and Hungary had been swallowed by the Roman Empire.

Also during that time, Sayer finally made peace with the new Kaiser. For the first time ever, Normans signed a white peace instead of forcing Germans to surrender, but hey! it was a defensive war, holding back Norman war machine.

sicily544.jpg

For the first time, white peace!

This year saw only 7 provinces gained.

Finally, something really strange:

sicily545.jpg

Sayer started to make things right, by killing the Khagan, but in 1312, Khagan died of natural causes. Old men like catharism, it seems.

This time, not much gains, but hey! At least we got a Cathar Khagan!

BogMod - know. But most of the vassals i have are anyway near 100, so it wouldn't matter much. Plus- most of the conquest to Germany had been made in Sayer's time. Meaning that all the nice titles i have given away still net me few hundred points of extra bonus per ruler, so most don't even notice the HRE is gone, they're too busy polishing their new crowns.

DensleyBlair- yea, can create Brittannia and Francia, but i prefer not to anyways. Better just to keep one- less hassle, plus i've got the Roman Empire, who needs Francia or Britannia anyways? :p

Nikolai - it is going to get soooooooooo destroyed!

SirkTheMonkey- that might actually be an idea, you know. Civil war in Hauteville Empire- or just doing what Constantinus do, but dividing more. I'll think about it.

Chief Ragusa- indeed, everything seems to fall under me. And if i'm not mistaken, Scandinavia's part will start after 2 episodes.

Ricardo Rolo - what i've written to BogMod. -50 is not that scary. Plus, taking the title is making some fast conquests possible- before everyone turns into Cathar. And just leaving the Empire be still takes too long, i think.
Oh, and Golden Horde- next time!

White peace? That will not do! Only total victory is allowed ;)

Good to see Iberia has been taken. I imagine France will fall soon.

Looking forward to the next one.

I am shocked, horrified, and slightly disappointed that the mighty Normans would accept a white peace with thea hated Kaiser. How badly did Catharism spread during the Khagan's reign?

Well, I could say that I actually predicted a Cathar Khagan , but I was joking at the time :p Atleast I hope that the next invisible Khagan is a good catholic unlike his father, and that there were not much of converts in the Horde ...

Anyway it is good to see Hispania and Galia ( almost ) cleaned up and that Hungary is also suitably purple in the maps. I would say that now is the time to either go to the homelands or to go defend the heritage of Rurik :p