• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- Factions. The same as rebels but more organized... As I get it you don't have much to do with them when till they rebel so I don't see much point.
They look like they change the game quite a bit if you're not playing as an independent character. In fact, it looks like it replaces the entire Plot mechanic.

They look like they change the game quite a bit if you're not playing as an independent character. In fact, it looks like it replaces the entire Plot mechanic.

I hope not fully, but only the plots for lowering crown authority, changing laws, installing someone, i.e. only state business. Assassinations are good already with 1.06 system, IMO.

Paradox should develop the term DLE insted of DLC!

Downloadable Expansion! ^^

Looks very promising. My hope is that this will pave the way for more patches to upgrade the religion feature. I'd like to see more influence over who becomes Pope, as well as more variety to the heresies - and the possibility of them becoming "Legitimate" religions with their own heads and moral authority.

blindedb.jpg

Sweet. That looks absolutely brutal.

I think I'm just going to blind everyone in the empire for the sake of it.

Also a suggestion, perhaps heresies should have their own faction. E.g. the cathar faction in historical France.
thats what i was thinking...

Dont know if i have it in me to want to blind someone, well unless they REALLY deserve it..........
I've heard being blind makes you not eligible for succession in the medieval roman empire.

Last edited:
"Watch your steps... Haha, brilliant!

I hope they give the historically blind characters the blind trait even if there is a slight difference of being born blind and become blinded. Actually they should have a blind trait as well... perhaps they have? :D

About frigging time! Gawd! :)

Keep this up, Paradox! Clearly you've fallen a bit behind the timetable, but eh. 3 more to go for phase A.

My worry with this one is that in some ways it seems like you're selling a big nerf of my favorite country for 10 bucks. :p You have until release to convince me that in the hands of a skilled player, this expansion can make Byzantium stronger than ever. If not, I may opt out.

Im VERY curious about what if any of the announced features will be available to more than just Orthodox nations (surely some of them are universal) and which will be given in the patch instead of sold in the DLC.... Something like Streamlined Mobilization should definitely be patched in for everyone, regardless or religion or DLC status. Hell, Streamlined taxation should go along with it.

Last edited:
So we basically have 4 features.

- Autocephalic patriarchs. Well... I'm not sure most players would notice that.
- Self-improvement. I don't get how it works yet. You get special events?..
- Standing armies. Good.
- Factions. The same as rebels but more organized... As I get it you don't have much to do with them when till they rebel so I don't see much point.

Looks like general expansion pack but too... limited. Only standing army feature looks like something big.

Well, look at it this way: Sword of Islam had what could be described as a limited set of new features as well. Sure, decadence might be a nice feature, and polygamy might be a nice feature, and fratricide/free revokation might be a nice feature, but they're not that big of a deal. However, when you combine them all together, you get a whole set of features that mesh to create an entirely new playing experience, something thats more than the arithmetical sum of its parts. I'm confident that these features will similarly mesh.

"Watch your steps... Haha, brilliant!

I hope they give the historically blind characters the blind trait even if there is a slight difference of being born blind and become blinded. Actually they should have a blind trait as well... perhaps they have? :D

I think I just got the "Watch your steps" thing just now. Black humor, ah.

It would also be interesting if you could get the blind event through random events, like if you were really sick or something or as the result of an accident or if you were ancient (like the Doge of Venice who basically conned the 4th Crusader into conquering Constantinople... when he was 90+ years of age and blinded, which by today's standards would be like a 200 year old completely paralyzed man on life support).

I hope that Paradox remembers the story of Belisaurius. Byzantine emperors blinding your top general can really go against you.

Belisarius was locked up but never blinded. The blinding is a later medieval myth. Narses was more than an adequate substitute for Belisarius in Italy and as a eunuch did not draw the same jealousy from Justinian.

I'm curious about the Pentarchy. In 1077, no Orthodox ruler has secular control of the territory for the Patriarchal Sees of Rome, Jerusalem, or Alexandria. Still, there were Greek Orthodox Patriarchs in all of the five original sees, with the exclusion of Rome, throughout this period. Although I assume the game will not seek to simulate this aspect, how does one go about installing new patriarchs to these historical sees?

Does a ruler simply install a bishop in the temple holding in these respective counties? So it would be Saint Symeon in Antioch, Jerusalem in Jerusalem, and Alexandria in Alexandria? The coat of arms in the screenshot appear to be new to this.

It's downloadable only, just like Sword of Islam.

This would be less confusing if you called your DLC "DLC" instead of labeling everything expansions.

I'm sensible to the need to make everything seem big for marketing purposes, so may I suggest some alternatives? "Premium DLC", "DLC plus", "Mega DLC", etc.

Expansion doesnt really fit your new business model, but it doesnt mean you cant find a new buzzword thatll leave people less confused.

Still, there were Greek Orthodox Patriarchs in all of the five original sees, with the exclusion of Rome, throughout this period.

Wrong.

There was only one Greek Patriarch, that of Constantinople. The Serbian, Russian and Bulgarian Patriarchs were all splinters of Greek Orthodoxy, but the rest of the Pentarchy was never Greek and hated the Basileus' attempt to make them conform to Greek doctrine so much that they joined forces with the Muslims whenever the Greeks tried to influence them.

The Pentarchy should be full for this whole period, with the Pope in Rome recognised by the orthodox Patriarchs and Alexandria/Cairo, Jerusalem and (later) Antioch as vassals of Muslim rulers. The Catholic patriarchs installed by the crusaders in Jerusalem and Antioch might not be recognised though.