• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stnylan: That light of victory seems to be getting a little brighter, though I probably should have taken the offer Mexico made. I didn't think that the United States would cross the border. Live and learn I guess. I'll be including a screenshot with the update I am doing today.

Ghostwriter: I am working on an update now. I hope this was not too long and I am glad you are enjoying it thus far.

Coz1: I don't see any cracks in the United States yet. No split off New England or break away Desseret's. However, I think the vastness of their territory is beginning to get to them. It's a lot of land to stretch their troops across.

I'd also just like to thank Imageshack for hosting my images. Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

I am working on an update now

The North American Border War
Part III

"Ours is a just war, a holy cause. The invader must meet the fate he deserves and we must meet him as becomes us, as becomes men." -- John Pelham

The capture of General Joseph Hooker and the victory at Ainsworth revitalized the spirit of Columbia. The choking stench of imminent defeat was cleared from the nostrils of the populous as its brave soldiers pushed South. Once more detaching from Brigadier General Harper's force, Cadwell led two battered artillery divisions to Trail, on orders to eliminate the last of Hooker's command. On August 10th, Colonel Cadwell began shelling the U.S. constructed fortifications around Trail, forcing the disarrayed remnants of General Hooker's army to either abandon the town or attack. They choose the latter. The battle lasted less then three days, with over six thousand United States soldiers captured and more then half that number killed. With Trail once more opened to Columbia's military, the pathway to the territories of the United States was finally made available.

In contrast to the triumphs in the North, the battles for Texas continued to go badly. Having fought desperately for over a month at old river creek, Major-General Rupert found himself down to less then a thousand men. Refusing to give the order for surrender, Rupert took to his horse and tried to pick out the enemy commander from horseback. Unfortunately, an opportunistic enemy soldier noticed the Major-General and shot him just under the chin, knocking him off his horse. Lieutenant Yulsun rushed to the side of his fallen commander, only to find him on his last few breaths. Lieutenant Yulsun and the remaining forces of Columbia surrendered on August 28th, and after nearly three months of fighting, the United States claimed a costly victory at old river creek. Later Lt. Yulsun would report that Major-General Rupert’s last words were "Texas.. texas..".

General Duran did not meet the same fate as his friend Rupert, battling to victory against all odds in San Antonio. Yet despite preventing the United States from retaking San Antonio, Duran began to lose hope. Of his original thirty-six thousand men, he was down to less than three thousand and even less horses. With the remains of his army basically stranded in enemy territory, several of his close friends dead, and running dangerously low on supplies such as ammunition and water, General Jules Odo Duran decided to transform San Antonio into a fortress town. Ordering his men to take what was needed, as well as asking for any volunteers from the populace, the remains of his army fortified their position and dug in, with the slim hope of Confederate reinforcements.

generalduran3nf.jpg

General Jules Odo Duran

September saw the beginnings of Columbia's counter-attack against the United States of America. Unwilling to risk the destruction of Seattle or face Philip Sheridan's heavily entrenched force, Brigadier Harper devised a strategy that would involve attacks of US forces in Baker City, Portland and the lands surrounding Seattle, with the intention of surrounding Sheridan and cutting them off from any hope of reinforcement of added supplies. Colonel Latre quickly secured the township of Ellensburg east of Seattle, before plunging into U.S. held territory, entering Baker City unopposed. Not thinking that Columbia would actually attack U.S. soil, the Union army was slow in responding to warnings, arriving days after Colonel Latre to the hail of enemy bullets. Unwilling to allow the Union army a chance to recover, Latre emerged from the city with over thirty thousand horsemen all howling like banshee. With just under twenty thousand in rank, the Union forces fell back, only to be pursued relentlessly for the next two days, until finally surrendering at the start of the second night.

Having stopped Sheridan's hope of reinforcement, Colonel Cadwell and his artillery moved on Portland in an effort to complete the stranglehold around Seattle. Perhaps unwilling to be placed in such a compromising position, Sheridan massed the majority of his army together to attack Colonel Cadwell on the 23rd of October, abandoning Seattle. Seeing the opening for what it was, Brigadier General Harper deployed the Fort Vancouver reserves south to liberate Seattle. Philip Sheridan proved to be quite capable in combat, quickly forcing Cadwell entirely on the defensive, despite Sheridan's limited Dragoon troops. On November sixth, Colonel Cadwell was wounded in the left leg by a stray bullet, but his men continued to fight on. On the verge of victory, the battle soon turned against Sheridan when Colonel Latre and his cavalry reached the battle on the 20th of November. Realizing that the battle was unwinable, Sheridan, the Ogre of Olympia turned south, fleeing down the pacific coast. Dynadin Latre began to pursue the hated Sheridan, but was ordered back on orders by Harper. Unwilling to violate a direct command, Latre returned to aid in the capture of Portland and Oregon City.

Even as Columbia finally began to secure its borders, the United States was not without its own share of victories. In the South, large portions of the west had fallen to the Union advance of Major-General Oliver Howard's army and by late December, Benjamin Butler had broken the last Confederate defense in Louisiana, bringing about the fall of New Orleans.

As 1861 shifted into 1862 what had begun as a simple war against the corrupt and incompetent government of Mexico had somehow transformed itself into a full-fledged battle for the destiny of North America. South had turned against north, West against East with thousands dying in the process. Worst of all, the end did not look to be anywhere within sight.

columbia18624kg.jpg

Fifteen days after the start of the new year, the United States military once more pressured General Duran at San Antonio, however despite their superior numbers and fresh supplies, General Duran and the remains of his force managed to hold their ground, inflicting heavy casualties of the U.S. troops and forcing them to fall back. This victory was little celebrated by Duran and his men, who knew that with the Confederate west almost completely lost, that any hope of reinforcements was slim at best.

In the north the United States of America finally began to weaken, the vastness of their territory and the combat on multiple fronts taking its toll. While Sheridan continued to make a stand in Murray and more Union troops began arriving in Idaho and Montana, they were thinly stretched, with most resources being poured against the devilishly skilled armies of the Reb's. In late January, Colonel Latre took it upon himself to strike a decisive blow against the largest Union force. With Brigadier General Harper occupied with extending Columbia's lines to Great Falls, Montana - Latre took advantage of the loose command structure to organize an attack utilizing soldiers from Nelson, Spokane, and his own force in a joint attack upon the United States army in Murray. Perhaps a little over zealous, Colonel Latre did not wait for the rest of the army, engaging Sheridan's forces almost ten days before the rest of the divisions arrived. Yet, in spite of his own rashness, he soundly maneuvered against the skilled Sheridan, the two expert cavalrymen matching wits and ferocity, until the 15th of February when Latre's reinforcements arrived, overwhelming Sheridan and facilitating his surrender. Despite Colonel Latre's attempts to keep Philip H. Sheridan unharmed, too many hated the Ogre of Olympia and though he did make it back to Victoria for trial, he had suffered several savage beatings, as well as having several chunks of flesh cut from his leg and the loss of his left ear. Dynadin Latre's success brought him no small amount of fame and helped in earning him promotion.

latreyoung4fl.jpg

Even with victories along the home front, many in Columbia's political circles continued to clamor for peace. Word had come that General Duran had once more come under attack in San Antonio, this time by almost thirty thousand Union troops. Everyone knew that despite the general's skill, he could not hold against those odds. Those of Elliot West's Unionist divide argued in favor of ending the war with the United States and seeking a white peace, insisting that Columbia's original intention was to gain favor with the American's. Yet Unionist's loyal to President Silver's government claimed that such would be folly and that Lincoln had shown his true colors. They strongly advocated continuing the war, so as to not abandon the Confederate States in their struggle. The Young Columbia party for the most part stayed out of the debates, content to let the Unionist divide grow. Despite the limited number of seats they currently held, they were intent to recapture at least thirty percent of Parliament by June of '63.

On March 18th of 1862, Brigadier General Harper, having advanced past Great Falls became bogged down and then surrounded in the town of Minot. Running into several large divisions making up the new army of the Cumberland, Harper fought his way out of total encirclement and retreated back to Great Falls, sending scouts down the line to get an exact count on the enemy.

In Empire city Major Calderon nearly slaughters his entire division against Union forces. Only by luck was the newly promoted Brigadier General Latre able to arrive in time to save the remaining 293 troops of Calderon's force and push the U.S. back into retreat. Outraged, Latre dismissed Major Calderon, sending him back to Seattle for garrison duty.

April 4th, 1862
The Seattle Gazette, 5 cents

Sheridan to hold trial for war crimes!
Information on page 3

The CSA wins battles at Manassas, Little Rock and Vicksburg!
Confederate Generals Jackson, Bragg and Lee believed responsible for carrying the respective victories. Details on page 2
Brigadier General Latre captures Empire City.
The young hero expected to engage enemy forces within a week. See page 5.

African Namibia colony claimed by Columbia despite minor Portuguese and British complaints.
Turn to page 10 for more details

After relieving major Calderon's botched effort a month earlier, Latre defeats a large U.S. force from Sacramento near a brook east of Empire City on the 27th of April, skyrocketing his wartime fame. With his successes and the employment of more and more forces in the field, the war strategists in Columbia began to look at an actual direction for attacks. Thus far, territory was merely being attacked surrounding Columbia, but with the actual chance of victory now seeming possible, those in power began to look towards what would best serve Columbia in a post-war North America. Portland was an obvious choice, while the more ambitious looked towards San Francisco. A few set their sights on Great Falls, where Brigadier General Harper just recently managed to hold off a potential United States breakthrough thanks to the reinforcements provided by Lt. Colonel Berenguer. With May and the summer months fast approaching, new plans were being drafted and deals were brokered behind closed doors.

Ah, Namibia!

So I take it that you claimed it by getting all four building types?

Good luck against the USA! The whole continent is getting rather messed up...

I'm thinking if I was General Duran, effectively abandoned, I'd just declare independence and tell President Silver to come and get me. :g:

Great as always! I think you're right, the US is just a bit too big to defend against you AND the CSA. It's just a good thing Britain's sticking to whomping on Mexico. :X

With the captures of Hooker and Sheridan, it surely must give a morale boost to the people. The tide seems to be turning slightly in the north. I just hope that land mass is not disguising troops heading your way as we speak. Still - things are looking up. :D

anonymous4401: Yes. Namibia was perhaps the only region I could realistically have a chance of claiming at this point. All the other parts of Africa seem to have been seized up by France, Britain, Portugal, the USA and others. I just finished with the fourth building type and decided to risk it. I want a piece of Africa, it's only fair. Besides, the Tropical wood and Precious Metal in Namibia could be quite useful. Though I doubt i'll ever be able to seriously defend the region, but oh well.

As for the Continent being really messed up, I'd have to agree. For the most part though this has had more to do with some poorly executed wars by the AI. Mexico in general has been a problem. The First Mexican-American war ended poorly in land gains for the US and Mexico humiliated and in massive debt. I think their prestige was something like -400. It's ridiculous. Then the US made a little better gains in the second mexican-american war, but even that was ehh. The peace settlements have been what altered things drastically, I have a feeling if things keep going this way, the Europeans will be the big powers in the world. But I could be wrong, depends on how this war ends.

Catknight: Nah, General Jules Odo Duran is far too loyal to his country to declare independence. Besides, he'd still have the problem of the USA wanting San Antonio back and going through him to get it. As far as Great Britain coming to the United States aid.. eek, that thought just scares me. Though maybe they'll come help the CSA, that'd be nice. Didn't France and Britain sort of support the CSA in our timeline?

Coz1:It actually was hiding a few forces, but marching across all that land gives me a chance to fall back and dig in. Now that I've freed my own lands and advanced onto US soil, I can fall back and give up territory, if necessary. The Mexican intervention turned out to be a massive blunder, but knowing this administration they'll try to cover that up and blame everything on Lincoln. My biggest problem is manpower. I just don't have the population to compete with the USA. I don't have much of any immigration.

Thanks for reading everyone. I'll try to get another update out soon.

Machiavellian said:
As far as Great Britain coming to the United States aid.. eek, that thought just scares me. Though maybe they'll come help the CSA, that'd be nice. Didn't France and Britain sort of support the CSA in our timeline?

Hmm...I never heard about France caring one way or the other about the ACW, though I could be wrong. I tend to think they were busy eyeing Mexico greedily.

Britain on the other hand definitely thought about it. I suppose they were waiting for a stronger sign that the CSA could win before risking a major war. One of the Gettysburg movies puts an English advisor/monitor with Armistead's troops right before Pickett's charge, but I imagine that was 'creative license.'

Nah, unless they have a particular interest in your British Columbia holdings (they might 'til Canada forms, I don't know) you're probably safe. :)

Machiavellian said:
Didn't France and Britain sort of support the CSA in our timeline?...Thanks for reading everyone. I'll try to get another update out soon.

IIRC, CatKnight is on the money! what France miscalculated was that a weakened USA (with the loss of the Southern States) would have made the French advances into Mexico a done deal! for France to obtain Mexico, all France needed to do was insure that the South won it's indepencence... however, if France had come to the aid of the Confederates, what would Britain have done???

that said, it appears that the USA is big enough, and therefore, strong enough to waste both the South and Columbia. :eek: that said, manpower may determine the issue...

EXCELLENT UPDATE!

Sorry for this non update. I was trying to write an update today, but I thus far just can't wrap my head completely around some of the stuff that is going on in this war. I'll try to figure things out and get an update before the weekend finishes.

Thanks for the comments about Britain/France and the CSA question. If I do manage to come out of this war, which looks like it could be possible (As long as the CSA doesn't collapse - because if they do, I am doomed), I think i'll try and stay away from big wars. Maybe try to buy some land.

The North American Border War
Part IV

GUNPOWDER, n. An agency employed by civilized nations for the settlement of disputes which might become troublesome if left unadjusted.

With more authority to do as he wished, as well as now being Harper's equal and not his subordinate, Brigadier General Latre deemed that the best way to win the war was to strike continuously against the United States. While he did not advocate inflicting the same suffering Sheridan dolled out to the inhabitants of Olympia and Seattle, he did wish to undermine President Lincoln's ability to keep his citizens safe by striking deep into the California and the so called Bread-basket states.

With the aid of the 10th infantry regulars in addition to his own cavalry corps, Latre broke through two meager US lines of less than three hundred soldiers each, before engaging an army of thirteen thousand camped on the northern bank of the Boise river. The United States army was without a seasoned commander, having until two days ago been committed in battle against the rebellious Nez Perce Indians. Believing the army under Latre to be another, far larger wave of the Indians, the Union soldiers fought with bloodthirsty abandon, forsaking the idea of surrender as they fought to defend Idaho's settlers from what they thought were savage injins. The battle lasted several weeks, during which the Yankee's soon realized their initial mistake. Falling back to Challis, they abandoned Boise to Latre and Columbia on the 23rd of May, secretly hoping that the Columbian's would take over the task of eliminating the Nez Perce and other native tribes.

Meanwhile, in Columbia's Capital a new political attack was being directed at President Silver and his supporters, once more championed by Elliot West. Waving documents of the rejected peace proposal from Mexico that was rejected ten months ago, Representative West and his supporters claimed that the President's greed had not only prevented the success of Intervention, but had allowed a European power to dictate order on the continent. What he was speaking of was the rather secretive May 14th Treaty of Cuyamaca. Only just learning of this treaty, it in effect granted Napoleon III the lead role in reshaping Mexico. In a surprising move, The Emperor and his Spaniard allies recognized the rebellion armies of Don Goluco de Common, with a capital in San Luis Potosi as the legitimate government of Mexico. A conservative, Spanish blooded land baron, Don Goluco was one of the leading rebellious factions, though not believed to be quite as strong as the Zapotec Benito Juarez, considered to be leader of the Liberal movement and one of the causes of the civil war. With strength in Veracruz, Tabasco and the south, as well as influence with several smaller movements in the North, most expected peace terms to be dealt with him. Yet the Catholic Bishops openly opposed the Liberals, who sought to end the church's political influence in Mexico. It was through them that France was able to create a peace. Yet mere words written on paper did not change the war, but Don Goluco de Common was clever enough to realize that and so made an offer that both Spain and France could not refuse. To Spain, the provinces of Tabasco and Compache were given. After Veracruz province, these two were the most strongly held by Juarez's faction and the Spaniards ruthlessly aided Don Goluco de Common in suppressing his enemies. To the Emperor Napoleon III the northern regions were granted, including the cities of Tucson, San Diego and Los Angeles. It was this that so outraged Columbia's politicians, who long expected Los Angeles and San Diego to be the prizes for which the Mexican war was being fought.

Elliot West repeatedly made reference to the previous peace, which would have supported Juarez, as well as grant Columbia Los Angeles, San Diego and Corpus Christi. With the Britain still battling in Mexico, optimists pointed out that de Common's faction would not necessarily win, but few in Parliament truly cared whether the Liberals or Conservatives won out. Elliot West concluded his attacks on the administration later that week, but not before bringing up the fact that contact with General Duran had ceased and it seemed apparent that he was either killed or captured by the United States army.

President Silver, Abraham Near, Prime Minister Nedrow and his Cabinet met throughout June, debating what to do now. Elliot West was right and they all knew it. It was concluded that Mexico was now a lost cause and the best chance of saving face would be to side with the French and Spanish in supporting the "Government" at San Luis Potosi. On July 1st, 1862 after several meetings with Don Goluco de Common and his advisors a peace was hammered out between Columbia and Mexico. The treaty was rather complicated, but in essence it provided that once Mexico was returned to stability under de Common's government that indemnities would be paid to Columbia for three years to repay them for their help in stabilizing the region. In addition the regions of El Paso and Roswell would be ceded to Columbian authority, as well as Buena Vista, Lubbock, and Dallas. However the last three regions would not be turned over until Columbia effectively crushed Juarez's supporters in Caliente, Sonora, and Hermosilla. It was far from the peace that Columbia desired, but with the economy beginning to suffer the continued cost of the war, it was deemed acceptable.

Using the last of the forces in Mexico along with British Forces granted permission to operate in the area to capture and eliminate the last of Juarez's rebels in the north Sonora, Hermosilla, and Caliente were turned returned to Mexico on the 12th of July in exchange for the promised territories.

July 1st, 1862
The Chicago Tribune, 7 cents

Kansas City in Rebel hands! Boise occupied by Columbia!
Our brave Union forces prevail at Manassas and Norfolk.

This brutal war continues with no end in sight. With battles raging around Indianapolis and Columbus, the State of Ohio seems to hang in the balance. Reports continue to indicate that the Southern Rebels are poised to strike at St. Louis as well, even as Columbia's cavalry sweep down the Pacific coast. President Lincoln seems confident that North will prevail.

Having defeated what he viewed as the main obstacles in the path to expanding the theater of combat, Brigadier General Latre spent the month of August going over maps of California and sending scouts far and wide. He soon learned that only a small force of fewer than twenty thousand infantry stood between him and the prestigious prizes of Sacramento and San Francisco. While no politician, Dynadin Latre had his own thoughts about the future of Columbia and in his vision he saw it straddling the Pacific. He knew that as long as the United States maintained the ports in Red Bluff and San Francisco it would forever challenge Columbia for supremacy of the sea.

By mid-August Latre and his cavalry forced a battle with the United States infantry near Goose Lake in northern California. The battle was relatively unmemorable, with a sound defeat handed to the Yankee's. Following up his victory, Brigadier Latre spent the month of September bringing first Sacramento and then San Francisco under Columbia's military authority. The fall of the Californian cities was both trumpeted and decried in papers throughout North America. Papers in New York called it a "Catastrophe", following with sharp criticism of President Lincoln, who found he was coming more and more under attack by his contemporaries in the Union.

Farther North, those under the command of Harper were making slow progress through Montana. While they had pushed aside the few forces of resistance challenging Columbia's thrust east, they found the winter to be a great foe, hampering their ability to travel onwards past Great Falls at any significant rate. Readjusting his time scale, Brigadier General Harper notified the President and War department that he did not expect to reach Helena till at least late January.

Latre too was experiencing some difficulties in the later months of the year. While his problems were not due to harsh winter weather, they would slow down his occupation of California nonetheless. Missed by his original scouts, Major-General Latre, having received a field promotion for his successful campaign into California, discovered that the United States did indeed have more troops in the area. According to the new information, about twenty five thousand Union troops were camped in fortified positions in and around Carson City. After failing in several attempts to bait them into abandoning their position to attack his own army, which he sought to make seem much smaller, Latre ultimately decided to attack the entrenched divisions. He was well aware of the damage his own force would take in the attack, but also knew that if he left the Union forces in place, they would threaten the entire campaign to capture California. On November 27th, 1862 the Armies of the United States and Columbia engaged at Carson City. The fighting was sporadic and lasted for a period of just over a month, with high casualties on both sides. Fortunately, Major-General Latre and the brave men of Columbia prevailed, forcing the U.S. troops to flee south towards the small city of Las Vegas on January 7th 1863, coincidently the same day Brigadier General Harper managed to capture Helena and most of the Idaho-Montana territory.

Six days after the start of December the British crown signed a peace with Mexico, effectively recognizing the government of Don Goluco de Common at San Luis Potosi. While this technically ended Mexico's foreign wars, it was hardly a kind gesture from the United Kingdom, who under Lord Palmerson's direction felt no need to be merciful to Mexico. Tacitly aiding Don Goluco in crushing the last of Juarez's rival faction, British armies smashed resistance at Veracruz and upwards all along the Gulf Coast. Yet these regions were not returned to the Mexican government, instead Great Britain forced Don Goluco de Common to accept British authority over the whole of Veracruz, the Gulf cities of Corpus Christi and Matamoros, as well as several occupied cities along Mexico's Pacific coastline. This was undoubtedly Lord Palmerson's attempt to keep Britain on equal footing with its rivals France and Spain in the area. Thankful for Britain's aid in crushing Juarez, who they turned over to de Common on December 20th, the new government at San Luis Potosi had little choice but to accept England's terms.

Deciding not to execute Benito Juarez, Don Goluco de Common simply imprisoned him pending trial. It was clear however that the date for the trial would likely be a very far in the future. Shortly after Christmas and before the new year, Don Goluco de Common was appointed President of Mexico, though it appeared that at least for a while he would be more of a dictator than anything else, supported by the Catholic Bishops and his fellow land barons.

In Columbia too the seeds of political ambition were being planted, with a presidential election little more than six months away. The Young Columbia Party for their part when with a largely conservative and safe candidate for a Presidential bid that was expected to bare little fruit. Peter Albert, the former Prime Minister decided lead his party as the Presidential nominee with the simple slogan "With him we can return to the proper course". For the most part the party's efforts were focused on regional seats of Parliament and the governorships up for contesting. In many respects Peter Albert was outshone by rising stars within the Party such as Daniel Clanton, one of the few representatives to maintain his seat during the election of '58 and Leland Stanford, the New York born industrialist and current governor of Upper Oregon. Leland would be also be supporting his brother-in-law for his previous governorship while he made a bid for Parliament. Of course the reins of his rail and mining company was under the management of his brother and in most cases himself.

The Redemption League also made a bid for President, though the only time it ever got much support was during the Athabaskan uprising at Fort Yukon in early January. The normal bigots and radicals were making attempts at office, with a gray haired ex-corporal of the Yukon war by the name of Jesse Anders as their presidential candidate. Few expected the Redemption League to get any real votes, though the Unionist's supported their candidates in regions where the YCP was strongest, mostly to have the League's support in breaking up unwanted rallies.

It was however in the Unionist Party camp where most of Columbia's attention turned in December and January, as Elliot West of the Unionist divide rallied for the party’s support of his nomination for President over Declan Silver. Unionist Party leaders tried to come to terms with the rivals, but the divide had only continued to grow since the war began, with several members of Parliament having lost relatives, including sons and grandsons in the costly war. Deep into the month of January no peace between the two individual men could be made and it seemed apparent that the Party would split, if not for the intervention of Abraham Near, who President Silver truthfully wanted to carry on as President. Near proposed a vote within the party and in effect created Columbia's first party primary, a system that while at first simple and small in scope, would over the years become an important aspect of Columbia's political system.

The Unionist primary occurred on February 10th, with the two main contenders being Rep. Elliot West and Vice President Abraham Near. In the end, Abraham Near won out, the influence of the Prime Minister and the President clearly felt. While Elliot West and the Unionist divide accepted the results of the Primary, bitterness over the result ran throughout the election, while the Unionist presented a united front against their opponents, the divide was still very real. The Primary also caused the Unionists to get a late start on the campaign trail, leaving openings for their opponents to make gains. In December, the YCP used the war and the resentment of the United States in rallies to boost their candidates; though many were tired of war and feared the Young Columbian's would be even more likely to continue the bloodshed. In addition to the Party campaigns, other individuals not affiliated with the candidates began to meddle, including the prestigious Professor Seidita of Prince George University who advocated the extension of Citizenship to all peoples within Columbia, regardless of race. He tried to point out the problems with the current system in a post-war Columbia, but soon both the Unionists and the YCP attacked his reasoning’s. While the YCP was growing more and more lax on limited citizenship, its key members still did not believe the vote should be extended beyond white men.

Meanwhile, even as the Unionists were squabbling over their candidate, the Confederacy was continuing to surprise and astound the United States. In the West Lieutenant General Ewell continued to fight back against Butler in Louisiana, even as the government of the Confederacy welcomed the Dakota and Cherokee's of Oklahoma to their cause, recognizing the state of Sequoyah as part of the CSA. For the United States, Major General Latre of Columbia continued to plague the far west, pursuing the forces he encountered at Carson city to Las Vegas. There they attempted to fight, but tired from their long trek under the desert sun, they soon surrendered to Columbia's cavalry.

February 15th, 1863
The Vancouver Sun, 5 cents

According to a recent poll, information suggests 85% of the population desires peace!
Study on page 6

The enemy continues to lose ground!
Major General Latre holds his position in Las Vegas. Our heroic allies the CSA retakes Manassas and Norfolk after three pitched battles led by James Longstreet and Thomas Jackson. Lt. General Jackson is currently engaged in battle near Fredricksburg, while Longstreet has joined up with Lee in the Confederacy's push on Maryland and the U.S. Capital.For more information turn to page 3.

Various fronts of the North American Border War, February 1st 1863

In late February Major General Latre continued to win praise at home as his galant attacks upon U.S. forces reached the borders of Elko. By the middle of March, Latre and his troops had routed the Union army from Elko and on the first days of april he led a dawn attack upon troops east of Elko, surprising them and setting their barracks on fire before retreating with his cavalry back to his lines at Elko. Yet even Dynadin Latre's heroics were over shadowed in early April, when news reached Columbia that Virginian General Robert E. Lee had triumphed over Union forces, winning the major battle of the Potomac, opening the way to Washington D.C., the Union also suffered further defeat with the fall of St. Louis.

On May 2nd, 1863 President Silver became ill once more, forcing him to tone down his official duties, as he required almost complete bed rest. Keeping the public in the dark about his condition, he continued to advice Abraham Near on his campaign and government policy. On May 12th the United States of America used Great Britain to present a treaty of peace to Columbia. THe United States was willing to cede the territory around Portland, Baker City, Murray and Missoula. While the treaty was considered, ultimately it was rejected on several points. With the recent success of the CSA, President Silver felt that a little more pressure should be put on the USA. What's more, the treaty offer was not mentioned to the public of Columbia and Abraham Near began promising that if he was elected, the Unionist Party could gain a favorable end to the war within three months. The YCP were outraged at the sneakiness of the manuever, but could do little but minic the Unionist Party. The Unionists were supposed to be anti-war, while the YCP were anything but, providing a bad political climate for the Young Columbia Party.

With the election quickly looming ahead, a mix of good and bad news appeared on the pages of Columbia's papers. In San Francisco, massive riots had broken out, with citizens taking to the streets after a particularly acrid and vitriolic editorial by a newcomer to the city. The writer, one Mark Twain, has recently fled from Virginia City Nevada where he became known for his often moralistic, though humorous, diatribes against public figures and institutions. In San Francisco this was no different. Fearing he would be executed for starting a riot, he pleaded his case to the military authority through an associate of his. He was in fact surprised by the simple warning and fine he recieved, thanks in part to the Columbian respect for free speech and press.

The more promising news were a string of Confederate successes, including the capture of Washington D.C. and Salisbury. Though Lincoln had escaped north, along with most senators and congressmen, the symbolic and morale victory was still clear. The Unionist party's strong ties to the CSA only aided them in the polls and when election day came on June 4th, 1863 it came as little surprise that Abraham Near had won the Presidential election, making him the fourth President of the Democratic Republic of Columbia. Yet the Unionist victory was far from overwhelming, with the loss of a fair share of seats and state positions lost to the Young Columbia Party, which exceeded its goal claiming thirty-eight percent of the seats in Parliament, tripling the number held in the last four years. What was worse was that a large majority of the seats lost were those loyal to Silver and Near, leaving the Unionist divide and Elliot West all the stronger.

abenear9qb.th.jpg

Abraham Near, the fourth President of Columbia.

At Great Britains urging, the United States of America once more presented a treaty to Columbia on June 28th, 1863. Though the treaty did not change much, it now included the large stetch of land south of Baker City. With much of the public clamoring for peace the the cost of the war beginning to take its toll, despite the Mexican war reperations, President Near agreed to sign what became known as the Salem-Baker treaty. With the loss of D.C. and the unfavorable peace of the Salem-Baker, it is still a surprise that Lincoln managed to win re-election in November of '63.

The Borders of Columbia following the Salem-Baker Treaty of 1863.

The North American Border War came about primarily through the failings of President Lincoln of the United States and his hawkish administration. His attempt to distract the country from the growing slavery debate and the schism in the South by War against Columbia only furthered the troubles of the USA. When the movement for secession did come, Lincoln found his forces stretched across a vast border, with a war in the distant west unfinished and a new detirmined enemy to the South. Furthermore, today most scholars believe that Columbia's intentions in Mexico were not hostile to the United States, with plans to court friendship and alliance with America on the table. One wonders what would have happened had Lincoln not been so eager for war.
-- Manuel Baralanau, 19th century historian

Last edited:
Well, I really have to hand it to you - peace for you in N.A. and without the US falling apart (though the Confederacy certainly helped your cause.)

I sensed a bit of the Nixonian "secret plan" in the election campaign. Looks like it worked out for the Unionists as well.

However, you might want to check that historian at the end. That's some time-travel. ;)

Thanks for the responses. I also just noticed that this AAR got Showcase of the week. I really apprieciate the readers who are sticking with this and commenting and I want to also welcome any new readers. This last update took me a while, as I had difficulty making sense of some of the peace treaties and events going on. I hope I was able to blend it together at least somewhat realisticly. France stealing Los Angeles and San Diego from me was quite frustrating though, but I shouldn't complain, as I thought I was going to get crushed by the United States of America.

hasskugel, GhostWriter: Thank you! I glad you are enjoying it thus far. I was very worried about this update to be truthful.. and I also had the dreaded pain of losing half of it and then having to rewrite it, which is why I didn't post it until monday, as opposed to Sunday as I had promised.

Catknight:No kidding. Columbia in the North, Russia in Alaska, Britain and Spain in Mexico. France in lower California. The CSA still struggling for independance. I meddled and I think I may have made things worse as well, as you'll see in next update.

Coz1: Oh no, the time traveling historian has been discovered! Now you know how this time line got out of control.. In all seriousness, I just missed that. I'm not sure if I was tired or it was a typo, but it has been corrected. Thanks for the catch. Columbia is indebted to the Confederacy, without them I am almost certain the U.S. would have continued to send wave after wave into Columbia until they forced some humiliating peace on us. I just noticed that Columbia has never had a President for two terms. I guess I could have made Silver run for the second term, since the Unionists did win again, but when I was playing I got the idea that Silver was old and dying.. Well, we'll see if Near can break that trend.

I will try to update soon, may not be as large an update as this one though.

Columbia's False Peace

PEACE, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting.

Peace had come to Columbia after over two and a half years of calamitous war. While figures were far from accurate, it was estimated that over 215,000 of Columbia's brave soldiers died in the war. For a country with a population well under three million, this was all the more tragic. Worse yet, such numbers were optimistic and did not include civilian casualties. Despite winning the war against the far larger United States, few citizens celebrated the victory. Most were too busy mourning the dead or trying to pay the bills. As the soldiers began to return home, many civilians saw first hand the price of war, as amputees and the crippled filled the train platforms, no longer the vibrant young men they had been in the summer of 1860.

Volunteers and those drafted sought to return to the factories, mines and lumberyards, many struggling in jobs they once easily managed. For the most part the Factories were eager for the increase in employees and expanded their operations beyond pre-war levels. Others did not return to civilian life, remaining in the military to protect Columbia's borders or secretly taking up the Confederate flag and uniform in an effort to continue aid to the Southern cause.

As the price of the war began to sink in Newspapers and editorials attacked the United States and Abraham Lincoln anew, calling for the U.S. President to end his murderous rampage. More and more articles appeared championing the Southern cause and the nobility of the various Confederate Generals.

One of several political cartoons featured in Columbia lambasting Lincoln.

President Near also had his own set of problems. While he was able to keep Prime Minister Christian Nedrow and the majority of the Cabinet in place, the selection of his Vice President fell to a Parliament not particularly friendly to his administration. The divided Parliament took two weeks to finally decide on the selection, ultimately going with the one Independent in McKenzie Hall, Joesph Lafayette Meek as Vice President. Meek, a former mountain man, was one of the original explorers of Oregon territory and had helped forge both of Columbia's constitutions. Having served as a Sheriff and a Marshal back when the region was still just a territory, Meek was well respected by the people and thus able to maintain his seat despite holding no party allegiance. With a native Indian wife and mixed children, Meek was strongly opposed to the Residency laws, instantly putting him at odds with the President.

meek7eq.jpg

Joesph Lafayette Meek, 1810-1875

Aside from an uncooperative Vice President, Abraham Near had a multitude of issues with which to deal: prisoner exchange, management of new territory and their populations, infrastructure repair and other post war developments. After seeking advice from Declan Silver, Christian Nedrow, and Delazon Smith he had an idea of the course he wished to steer the country. In a sign of good faith, President Near consulted with Meek afterwards, informing him of his attentions. To the President's surprise, Joesph approved of the outline he was given, though did comment about the unfairness of the residency laws. The President, having no intention to even attempt repealing any of the Residency Acts, promptly ignored the complaints and made a note to avoid that topic in the future.

Further East the war was still in full swing and on July 7th of 1863, to the shame of Lincoln, the State of Maryland secedes and joins with the Confederacy. From the temporary capital in New York, Lincoln was frantically continuing his campaign for reelection against those who wanted peace. Bold promises of maintaining the Union and recapturing D.C. were made, though it was clear that pressure was beginning to take its toll on the U.S. President. In December, the Union conducted a large attack against the Confederate Capital of Richmond, but despite an initial setback, the CSA troops under Jackson managed to defend the city, repelling the Union forces. Even so, somehow Lincoln prevailed in the election of '64, promising to carry on and preserve the Union and it's rightful claims at all costs. It is likely that the brilliant amphibious capture of D.C. in October had much to do with his victory.

Back in Columbia, Prime Minister Nedrow was conducting Parliament in an attempt to admit the Yukon as a state, along with plans to extend the borders of Upper Oregon east and the creation of the newly acquired Lower Oregon. At first there was some resistance to the proposal, particularly from Unionist's previously loyal to President Silver, who opposed granting the Yukon Territory enhanced status. However, with the residency acts still in effect the Prime Minster was able to win over a majority of Unionists in Parliament. Many members of the Young Columbia Party also approved of the act, hoping that making the Yukon a state would revitalize the effort to remove the Russian influence from the continent. On February 1st, 1864 the acts of Statehood passed, along with a three-year plan to transfer citizenship to the former Americans. This proved relatively simple and led to few if any objections. This was in part due to the fact that the majority of lands taken from the United States were territories, not yet granted full statehood. In lower Oregon's the switch over was exceptionally smooth, for while previously a U.S. state most of the inhabitants had more in common with the people of Columbia then they did with the inhabitants of Michigan or New Jersey.

The next domestic issue on Christian Nedrow's list was the economy. This he handled with no small degree of skill, persuading all parties necessary to agree to the adoption of a decimal monetary system, largely based on Sweden and the United States. This was effortlessly approved and by March 9th the first coins and paper money of this new system were distributed. Previously British and American currency had been used. Many agreed that this shift was a long time in coming, going so far as to say it should have occurred years ago. All had the motto Esto Perpetua upon them, as well as the Merlin Falcon. The one cent coin pictured McKenzie hall, the ten cent President Moore, the fifty cent coin President Silver, and in a concession to the Young Columbia Party the 100 cent coin pictured Esmond Wright. Which explains how they came by the names a Kenzy, a Moore, a Silver, and a Wrightlin respectively. The paper money had repeated themes, as well as portraying Dr. John McLaughlin on the 50 and Abraham Near on the Five.

With Nedrow handling the monetary situation and other domestic issues, President Near was able to focus on using Columbia's newfound prestige to make some friends in the international community. Sticking with the foreign policy of his predecessors, relations were approved with Hungary and Krakow, as well as making new ties with Switzerland, Brazil and most importantly France. Now a territorial player on the continent, Abraham Near decided that it would be wise to transform France into a potential Ally. Several diplomatic overtures were also extended to Russia, though it was hardly viewed as a friend to those in Columbia. However this program bore fruit when on February 5th, 1865 the Empire of Russia agreed to the sale of Wrangel to Columbia for forty thousand Wrightlin's, several technology secrets and Columbia's claim on South New Guinea. This was a high cost, but ultimately viewed as worthwhile as it allowed the border defenses to relax some. It did however put Columbia in debt, a matter the government soon sought to correct.

The October of 1864 proved interesting in several respects. For one, Prisoners were exchanged between the United States and Columbia, with intermediating aid from the United Kingdom. Of particular note was the exchange of Joseph Hooker for General Jules Odo Duran who had been captured by U.S. forces in Texas. Despite United States demands, Colonel Sheridan was kept a prisoner of Columbia, and was in fact currently being tried. Most expected he would hang, though a few believed he would instead get the firing squad. The former President Robert Moore passed away on October 3rd, surpassing the life of his party by almost ten years. This funeral was heavily attended, with famous guests like Queen Victoria's eldest son Prince Edward. Lastly it was in October when a major border dispute erupted between Mexico and the United States of America. With the United Kingdoms support, the war mongering Lincoln threatens war with Mexico and Don Goluca de Common's government. Unwilling to back down from threats and thinking the Britain would not interfere, Mexico declares war on the United States.

Even with Columbian divisions carrying the Confederate flag and fighting with the CSA, President Near sought other ways to aid the South, knowing that for Columbia to prosper the Confederacy had to survive. He knew that if the Union triumphed over the CSA it would only be a matter of time before they sought revenge on Columbia. To those ends it was deemed acceptable to open trade with the CSA, offering them all manner of military technology at reduced costs. For knowledge of steel railroads, members of the Olympia military academy traveled to Richmond instructing in military plans and the secrets of Iron muzzle loaded artillery.

The CSA sought to capitalize on the new situation, intensifying their push on the West, which had all but collapsed in 1862. Though General Braxton Bragg and Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest despised one another, by 1865 they had learned to work around such difficulties, successfully recaptured much of the west. In addition, by February Lt. General Forrest's brilliant campaign led to the fall of U.S. Texas. This set the stage for Columbia to further aid the Confederacy. On March 1st, 1865 The Columbia controled regions of Texas were established as an independant state, with John Henniger Reagan as its interim authority. Yet this was only a temporary state and over the next few days a plebiscite was held within the region, both free east Texas and the Confederate occupied East participated. Within ten days Texas had decided to become a member of the Confederacy, taking up arms for the Southern cause.

During the spring of 1865 Britains involvement on North America increased, with their armies overrunning Mexico, despite objections from France and Spain. In the North too the British were meddling, lending troops from British-Canada to fight under the U.S. flag. Yet even with Britains surprising aid, the Union continued to suffer set-back after set-back, losing D.C. once more to Robert E. Lee in the late stages of April.

Suffering a stroke on May 17th, Former President Declan Silver was the second Columbian president to die in the last two years. His funeral was a quiet and somber affair, attended mostly by friends and relatives. Undistracted by his friends death, President Near concluded a massive international deal on May 30th, 1865. In it Buena Vista was sold to France, while Columbia bought Banff and McLeod in the north from Britain, contributing some money as well as offering Roswell and a few colonial claims. With the last of Mexico's indemnities, Columbia's economy was back on track and its debts paid off. Highlighting that fact, the very next day diamonds were discovered in Angra Pequena, a part of Columbia's Namibia colony.

The New-York Times
NEW YORK, SUNDAY, JULY 3rd, 1865.

Awful Event
~~~~~~~~~~
President Lincoln shot by an Assassin

The deed done at the Winter Garden Theater last night
THE ACT OF A DESPERATE REBEL
The President Still Alive at Last Accounts.
No Hopes Entertained of His Recovery.
Attempted Assassination of Secretary Seward.
DETAILS OF THE DREADFUL TRAGEDY.

Manhattan, New York July 3rd, 1:30 A.M.: Last evening at about 9:30 P.M. at the Winter Garden Theatre, the President, while sitting in his private box with Mrs. Lincoln, Mr. Harris, and Major Rathburn, was shot by an assassin, John Wilkes Booth, who suddenly entered the box and appeared behind the President. The play that night was Shakespeares Hamlet, starring Edwin Booth, who is currently being held for questioning.

The theatre was densely crowded, and everybody seemed delighted with the scene before them. During the third act, and while there was a temporary pause for one of the actors to enter, a sharp report of a pistol was heard, which merely attracted attention, but suggesting nothing serious, until a man rushed to the front of the President's box, waving a long dagger in his right hand, and exclaiming "Sic semper tyrannis," and immediately leaped from the box, which was in the second tier, to the opposite side, making his escape amid the bewilderment of the audience from the rear of the theatre, and mounting a horse, fled.

The pistol ball entered the back of the President's head and penetrated nearly through the head. The wound is mortal. The President has been insensible ever since it was inflicted, and is now dying.

About the same hour an assassin, whether the same or not, entered Mr. Sewards' apartments, and under the pretence of having a prescription, was shown to the Secretary's sick chamber. The assassin immediately rushed to the bed, and inflicted two or three stabs on the throat and two on the face. It is hoped the wounds may not be mortal.

The nurse alarmed Mr. Frederick Seward, who was in an adjoining room, and hastened to the door of his father's room, when he met the assassin, who inflicted upon him one or more dangerous wounds. The recovery of Frederick Seward is doubtful.

It is not probable that the President will live throughout the night.

On an examination of the private box blood was discovered on the back of the cushioned rocking chair on which the President had been sitting, also on the partition and on the floor. A common single-barreled pocket pistol was found on the carpet.

A military guard was placed in front of the private residence to which the President had been conveyed. An immense crowd was in front of it, all deeply anxious to learn the condition of the President. It had been previously announced that the wound was mortal but all hoped otherwise. The shock to the community was terrible. The nations outrage is now fully directed at the Southern Confederacy, of which this is its most dispicable of acts.

Vice-President Johnson is in the city, and his headquarters are guarded by troops.
The shocking news of early July. Most in Columbia did not mourn Lincoln's death, but looked down on assassination. For its part, the Confederate States of America made protests that it was not responsible.

Abraham Lincoln's assassination by John Wilkes Booth shocked the government in Columbia. While President Near later suspected it was the doing of the CSA, he made no real attempts to discover the truth. The truth was that it was in fact a Confederate conspiracy, though Booth's brother's Edwin and Junius Brutus who were later found guilty of conspiracy by the USA had no part in it. During an October 1864 trip to Montreal, John Wilkes Booth met and conferred with Jacob Thompson, chief of the Confederate secret service. It is there that the plot was hatched, though John had been acting as a spy for the South for a long time before hand. William H. Seward, the United States Secretary of State survived his brush with another of the Confederacy's assassins.

After the tragedy, the Presidency of the United States fell to a Southerner and a Jacksonian Democrat, Andrew Johnson. Immediately the radical Republicans in Congress and the government rallied against him, fearing that he may have known about the assassination and would sell out the North. Seeing the nation on the verge of collapse the Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton urged Congress to hold until the war could be resolved. Soon however Stanton discovered that Johnson was in talks with Richmond to end the war, the next day Johnson dismissed Stanton. Congress was up in arms, the North was in Political chaos and the Union Generals were desperately trying to throw back the advancing Rebels.

Demonstrating its sheer dominance, the United Kingdom had almost completely occupied Mexico by August of 1865 and on the 21st of the month, forced Don Goluco de Common to sign a new treaty. The Palmerson-Common peace granted Britain dominion over the provinces of Valladolid, Tiascala, Charcas, Santiago, Guadalajara, Caliente and Albuquerque. Columbia was rather dismayed that Britain now had a sizable landbase to the south and began making arrangements to tighten security and better relations with the other European powers, especially France.

The end of 1865 and the holiday season was spoiled by a sudden crash in Columbia's economy. While this mostly effected the wealthy, as it was tied to trade investments made overseas regarding Africa and the colonies, it did undermine Chistian Nedrow's economic advance of the previous year.

While Columbia's eyes were clearly focused on North America, the World powers were more interested in Europe, where tensions had been developing for quite some time. By late January they came to a head when Prussia made an attempt to force Austria to accept it's leadership of the German people. The Habsburgs of Austria of course thought this ridiculous and refused Prussia's demand. On January 24th, 1866 Prussia declared war on Austria. Unwilling to become entangled in Germany, France decided to sit out the conflict, as Austria's many German allies joined its side. Prussia, who had far less allies, called on the aid of Hannover and Mecklenburg who's governments both agreed to go to war.

In North America, Columbia's soldiers fighting for the Confederacy engaged British marines in service to the Union's cause at Hammond, a town just south of Chicago near Lake Michigan. In perhaps one of the oddest battles of the war, the Columbian's proved themselves an equal to the British elite, though not without leaving many dead. This victory did lead to the 'Confederate' capture of Chicago on May 8th however, crushing Union morale further, if that was possible. The few optimists left in the Union hoped that the CSA's election would bring about favorable change, as Jefferson Davis having held the office for six years, was unable to run again. However pessimist in the North pointed out that none of the potential candidates would be much different in regards to the North.

On the 1st of May, 1866 Columbia's first Ironclad was christened in Portland's harbor. In attendance, Vice President Meek gave a short speech, followed by the firing of one of the RCS Yukon Lady's mighty cannon. The next month Parliament ratified the entry of yet another state, Alberta, consisting of the former territories of Banff and McLeod.

columbia18664dy.jpg

By July Jefferson Davis, the first President of the CSA, said his goodbyes, claiming he saw a beautiful future for the Confederacy. His successor and the winner of the election was former ranking General Albert Sydney Johnston. A man who at the start of the Civil War was almost universally considered to be the finest soldier in the Country, North or South. A friend of both Davis and Lee, the 63 year old Kentuckian served with Houston in the first Mexican war and commanded the famous 2nd Regiment which included the likes of Robert E. Lee, Hood and Hardee, among other notables. He had also crushed the Mormon uprising in Utah prior to joining the Confederacy. Early in the war of Northern Aggression he commanded skillfully until he was shot in April of 1862 on the battlefield of Shiloh. Nearly dying of bloodloss and infection, he was fortunate to have a skilled doctor on hand who amputated his left leg and saved the General's life. President Johnston, accompanied by his Vice President, Thomas Lanier Clingman of North Carolina, a former U.S. Senator and Brigadier in the Confederate army, shook Jefferson Davis's hand and gave a passionate speech. He called for a 'Just and equitable peace' and confessed that he 'only regreted so much blood must be shed to obtain it'. With an overwhelming victory over his opponents, few in the South were upset over the election results.

By August, despite Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant once again securing D.C. and the Potomac, the Union was ready to collapse. With General Lee moving on Pittsburg, Major General J. E. B. Stuart's hammering of Pittsburg, and the forocious Major General John B. Gordon's capture of Cleveland it was only a matter of time. As October rolled around, the Confederate forces had traveled far North, fighting in places never imagined in '61, such as Buffalo NY. Pittsburg and Detroit were in Southern hands and despite an impending impeachment, Union President Andrew Johnson was still in office, seeking terms with the new President at Richmond. In one last ditch effort by the Union, General William T. Sherman, with the help of Major General George Thomas drove their armies headlong into the Confederate lines. In some of the most brutal fighting of the war, Sherman and the brave soldiers with him managed to retake Columbus, Ohio and push Southwards in Manassas. The resulting "Last Stand of Manassas" was the last Union victory of the war as well as the much loved "Stonewall" Jackson's last stand. Giving his life for the cause of Southern independence, Thomas J. Jackson was given later given a lavish and widely attended funeral, with full military honors.

Before the lengthy Civil war could come to a close, Prussia and Austria came to terms, with victory technically given to Austria, though many of its allies had since become absorbed into Prussia's dominions. Scholars in Europe long after have debated who truly won the war. In other international news, perhaps seeking to appease worries of North American interference, Great Britain officially created the Dominion of Canada on June 13th, 1867. This move was widely praised in Columbia, for obvious reasons.

Finally on July 1st, 1867 peace between the North and the South was declared. Though sure to be impeached, Andrew Johnson signed an agreement with Confederate President Albert S. Johnston. Demanding Kentucky, New Mexico and the Indian Territory the CSA took a hard line. Caving to nearly all terms, Andrew Johnson quickly became one of the most hated men in the Union. The South had won its Independence at last and finally all of Columbia's young men could come home.

Nice update, can you tell me what the cartoon says because i can't make out all of what lincoln says (something like "reminds ome of a story"). Oh and i'm sure that the US will build up in the peace and finish the CSA later (nothing i like better then seeing the CSA lose).

Wow! That was a very well-written update!

It feels as if the events in the game actually happened, in real life!

Since this AAR got the Showcase award, I figured I'd put some extra work in and basically spent all my free time yesterday and today thinking up ideas/researching/and writing this Bonus update. I really do enjoy telling this tale, especially with the positive response. Before I discovered this Forum back in the summer of 2003, I used to subject my friends (who aren't nearly as into Politics, Strategy, History and especially Alternate history as I am) to my tales, games, and ideas just to have someone to share them with. I am thankful I no longer need to do that.

Seidita:Thank you kind sir. Being a born and bred NYer myself I have to say that I also tend to side with the North and usually enjoy seeing the Rebel's get trounced. In this case however I was more than happy to root for a Confederate victory. Playing from the perspective of the Columbian Government, I'm very much pro CSA. As for the Cartoon, Lincoln's response seem's to be him rambling for a lame excuse he says "Well the fact is - err, by the way that reminds me of a STORY!" I found the Cartoon somewhere and thought it fitting.

anonymous4401: I really appreciate that! I think it is one of the best compliments I have gotten in a while. I do try to research somewhat and think about the world that is being created as a whole. Then I mix it around in my head, applying my knowledge of various theories of war and politics, insert my version of fictional and historical personalites.. and just try to write it as best I can with the ultimate goal of trying to make it seem realistic or at least plausible. I do try to intermix historical with fictional, for both people and events. For the Lincoln assassination article I actually dug up the old New-York times article of it and inserted it directly, though obviously I changed some of the info to fit the story and shortened it.