• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregyerbury

Private
18 Badges
Dec 29, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I only casually play this game but compared with the last time I play a colonization game it is almost pointless as most of the land in North America is already occupied and so there seems to be little reason to have colonization and expansion as ideas. Colonization and conquering seems to be a better approach making expansion almost redundant.
I don't have the latest DLC due to its negative reviews. Would that make a difference?

• 5Like
Reactions:
I only casually play this game but compared with the last time I play a colonization game it is almost pointless as most of the land in North America is already occupied and so there seems to be little reason to have colonization and expansion as ideas. Colonization and conquering seems to be a better approach making expansion almost redundant.
I don't have the latest DLC due to its negative reviews. Would that make a difference?
not really, devs massively buffed natives, so whilst we no longer have the whole of north america owned by europeans in the 1600s, we now have all of north america owned by natives in the 1500s. Hopefully they'll rebalance it in the next patch, they already got rid of the base gov reform buff natives got.
the patch made portugese and dutch colonisation alot more profitable with how cloves work, and SEA being more balkanised, but france, spain, and england are shafted

• 12Like
Reactions:
not really, devs massively buffed natives, so whilst we no longer have the whole of north america owned by europeans in the 1600s, we now have all of north america owned by natives in the 1500s. Hopefully they'll rebalance it in the next patch, they already got rid of the base gov reform buff natives got.
the patch made portugese and dutch colonisation alot more profitable with how cloves work, and SEA being more balkanised, but france, spain, and england are shafted
Is there a mod that gives the natives a nerf, like -99% gov capacity or -15% morale of army modifier?

Edit:
20210705172604_1.jpg

I might take back what I said about the -15% nerf, but seeing a 15k army from an OPM, this is a bit insane. Funny enough, a 2k army was enough to crush an army 7 times its size, albeit by 10 military levels difference. Since the native nation is in modern day Sergipe, it is weird seeing basically the whole population fighting in Rio de Janeiro.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Is there a mod that gives the natives a nerf, like -99% gov capacity or -15% morale of army modifier?
The natives are already super easy to conquer. It actually makes colonizing a better choice than before. It basically turns NA into Mexico but without all the overextension. For a while these was an AE bug but now it’s gone (at least in the beta, not sure about the release version).

A legitimate complaint about it is that is does make getting expansion + exploration less powerful/mandatory for colonization. Your mileage may vary on whether this is a bad thing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I returned today and played a game holland to Netherlands and I was so surprised to see so many natives nations in NA haha. But with 6000 soldiers I was able to crush 77000 Amerindians (even 3000 men's defeated 10X more foes). The only problem is that I needed to bring 4000 more to be able to siege.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The natives are already super easy to conquer. It actually makes colonizing a better choice than before. It basically turns NA into Mexico but without all the overextension. For a while these was an AE bug but now it’s gone (at least in the beta, not sure about the release version).
the player can manage armies and navies easily, as well as timing when to be fighting in europe and when to colonise in the US, but the ai struggles with this, so we didnt need the natives getting buffed this much without any appropiate mechanics for europeans to use to get to their historical extent

Reactions:
the player can manage armies and navies easily, as well as timing when to be fighting in europe and when to colonise in the US, but the ai struggles with this, so we didnt need the natives getting buffed this much without any appropiate mechanics for europeans to use to get to their historical extent
Not really the AI also can manage it, at least in my game the great power colonisers go conquering spree in new world unopposed until they got distract in old world, some of the native manage to reform into horde and catching up on tech then decide to murder them all lol

Though I will also note that the lesser coloniser like Netherland doesn't do so well in new world compare to Britain or Spain.

It's a little better with the last beta patch (1.31.5.2) , natives have been balanced (a bit), if you arrive before 1500 you should have some place to create a colonial nation

In my personal mod I made the natives unable to reform out of "nativeness" until they'd adopted the enlightenment institution, and some hands off games have shown that the GP colonizers tend to conquer everything except for some one tiny native who make it :)

Just a suggestion to you people who don't play for achievements!

• 2Like
Reactions:
The AI does indeed conquer native land, but the NA coast gets occupied before they colonize it, so they won't fight for it, and even if they did the colonial nation would have native culture. We really need some assimilation/colonization mechanics with the new natives.

Reactions:
In my personal mod I made the natives unable to reform out of "nativeness" until they'd adopted the enlightenment institution, and some hands off games have shown that the GP colonizers tend to conquer everything except for some one tiny native who make it :)

Just a suggestion to you people who don't play for achievements!
The funny thing is, people will complain (maybe rightfully) about super-natives owning the entire continent being ahistorical, and then mod the game to make it so that Europeans control the entirety of the Americas by 1700 AD and feel good that their game has been made more true to "history".

Of course, you can play however you want, but you're basically trading one form of nonsense for another.

• 20Like
Reactions:
The funny thing is, people will complain (maybe rightfully) about super-natives owning the entire continent being ahistorical, and then mod the game to make it so that Europeans control the entirety of the Americas by 1700 AD and feel good that their game has been made more true to "history".

Of course, you can play however you want, but you're basically trading one form of nonsense for another.
I see what you mean, but I think the game plays much more fluently if natives are more or less hardlocked as natives until the 1750s, than them reforming too early! It leaves much more room for interaction between the more unique colonial and native governments, and colonizable tribal lands along the coasts.

Reactions:

One form of nonsense is more realistic than the other. Would it be that hard to have reused relocation cb to push natives across a region or two so we can found Georgia later than the other colonies

Speaking of Georgia, is it still not nonsense that everyone just forms giant vice Roys for their colonial nations rather than several different tags that could unify if annoyed ala Dutch revolt

• 1Like
Reactions:
One form of nonsense is more realistic than the other. Would it be that hard to have reused relocation cb to push natives across a region or two so we can found Georgia later than the other colonies

Speaking of Georgia, is it still not nonsense that everyone just forms giant vice Roys for their colonial nations rather than several different tags that could unify if annoyed ala Dutch revolt
No, the entire American continent being entirely colonized by European powers in 1700 with a population of 1000 Europeans at least per province is absolute nonsense. The previous model of total European control of the Americas every game was totally unrealistic, but curiously never was complained about. I wonder why!

Of course, the current iteration of natives is also total nonsense of about the same caliber. But this time it's benefiting the wrong nations.

• 17Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
No, the entire American continent being entirely colonized by European powers in 1700 with a population of 1000 Europeans at least per province is absolute nonsense. The previous model of total European control of the Americas every game was totally unrealistic, but curiously never was complained about. I wonder why!

Of course, the current iteration of natives is also total nonsense of about the same caliber. But this time it's benefiting the wrong nations.
Except the previous version was complained about, and people were happy to see a native rework, but we had magical horses and elephants appear as well as native map painter instead of an indepth work.
Tribal lands could've been ported to African tags to, hell Mali has an event of tribal chiefs trading with Portuguese on the southern coast they could've used, but tribal lands was kept as a NA and 3 SA tag rework

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions:
Except the previous version was complained about, and people were happy to see a native rework, but we had magical horses and elephants appear as well as native map painter instead of an indepth work.
Tribal lands could've been ported to African tags to, hell Mali has an event of tribal chiefs trading with Portuguese on the southern coast they could've used but tribal lands was kept as a NA and 3 SA tag rework
Most of the complaints I saw about the previous version were basically "this system makes the natives WAY TOO OP!" (even though the end result was almost always European control from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego). Maybe some people were actually looking to make it more realistic, but from my point of view the central issue was "the wrong sort of people are being overpowered" as opposed to attempting to make something realistic.

I'm not saying the new system is any better, but it's also not much worse in terms of results.

• 3Like
Reactions:
[...] The previous model of total European control of the Americas every game was totally unrealistic, but curiously never was complained about. I wonder why!

[...]

I'm guessing that you don't frequent the forums that much because one of the most popular threads in the last year is "Europeans colonize all the Americas super quickly". It is up there with "Ottomans OP" and "pops are a must have" in terms of appearing every other week or so.

Now, since Leviathan the complainant turned from "Europeans colonize all the Americas super quickly" to "Natives colonize everything and have absurd Dev". Your mileage may very when it comes to agreeing with the people posting such statements but to say that no one ever complained about Europeans colonizing too much and too fast is misrepresenting a popular complain.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.