Cities: Skylines (Steam) - Game crashes on startup, might be related to Paradox Launcher [Mac]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bohaska

Corporal
4 Badges
Jun 1, 2021
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Surviving Mars
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
Describe your issue
Game crashes on startup, might be related to Paradox Launcher

What is your game version?
N.A. I never loaded the game successfully

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
None

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I'm on Mac. After I bought this game a few days ago, I decided to play the game. When I click play in Steam, the Cities Skylines window opens for 1 second, and then I get redirected to the Paradox launcher, which is stuck loading. I then searched for a solution and decided to complete all the steps shown in https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/launcher-not-opening-mac.1402822/ and https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc...-My-launcher-doesn-t-work-my-game-wont-start- . However, the game still didn't work. When directly opening the paradox launcher, the launcher just gets stuck.
I'm not sure if this is related, but in Steam, I can't stop the game.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
I do not know how to replicate the issue.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 1.27.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 1.27.39 PM.png
    280,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

Did not work. Here are the logs. launcher-2021-08-26.log was empty

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    431 bytes · Views: 0
  • launcher-bootstrapper.log
    3,8 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    596 bytes · Views: 0
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.6-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!

didn't work, here are the logs again
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.6-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!

Attachments

4 KB · Views: 0
  • cpatch.log
    3,8 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    474 bytes · Views: 0
From those logs the launcher now installs and updates itself just fine. Then as seen in cpatch.log, when it runs there are no errors or problems evident.

Are you still seeing the symptoms exactly as you describe in your OP here, or have they changed in any way?

From those logs the launcher now installs and updates itself just fine. Then as seen in cpatch.log, when it runs there are no errors or problems evident.

Are you still seeing the symptoms exactly as you describe in your OP here, or have they changed in any way?
Still seeing symptoms. Launcher starts up and then gets stuck for a few minutes and then crashes.

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    4,8 KB · Views: 0
    7,9 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    718 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't know what could cause that on your Mac, I am sorry. Let's set you up to bypass the launcher:

- in textedit make a text file called dowser - make sure it is NOT an RTF file but plain text
- in it paste this content:
#!/bin/sh
open -a Cities.app
- move it to your Home folder (the one in Finder with the little house icon)
- run the Terminal app. That will open up a command line to that folder; do LS to check that dowser is there.
- then do this command: chmod +x dowser This is to set the file to be executable on your Mac
- right click on cities.app, Show Package Contents, open the launcher folder in there. Rename that dowser to dowser.org or whatever, THEN move the new dowser we just made into that folder
- delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder again
- Run the game

That should do it for you!

I don't know what could cause that on your Mac, I am sorry. Let's set you up to bypass the launcher:

- in textedit make a text file called dowser - make sure it is NOT an RTF file but plain text
- in it paste this content:

- move it to your Home folder (the one in Finder with the little house icon)
- run the Terminal app. That will open up a command line to that folder; do LS to check that dowser is there.
- then do this command: chmod +x dowser This is to set the file to be executable on your Mac
- right click on cities.app, Show Package Contents, open the launcher folder in there. Rename that dowser to dowser.org or whatever, THEN move the new dowser we just made into that folder
- delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder again
- Run the game

That should do it for you!
Bypassed the launcher, but I get a similar problem with the game getting stuck and then auto quitting
(though you could have just said remove the .txt extension)

Last edited:
Please attach this log file here:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Logs/ folder, and inside that /Unity/ folder. Please attach that file player.log here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

I've never seen a player log end like that. My best guess is a game or Steam installation problem.

Please try a **clean** reinstall:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Cities_Skylines/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<SteamID>/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines/
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- do a clean Steam reinstall

- Install the game again and see if it runs now.

Good luck with that!

I've never seen a player log end like that. My best guess is a game or Steam installation problem.

Please try a **clean** reinstall:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Cities_Skylines/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<SteamID>/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines/
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- do a clean Steam reinstall

- Install the game again and see if it runs now.

Good luck with that!
After reading the system specifications, it said "Does not support Intel Integrated graphics." May this be the problem? My computer uses Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 (built in). Sadly your steps did not help.

Attachments

• Player.log
    5,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Using Intel video systems does not generally cause the game to crash or hang, just to run slow. And it won't be the cause of the launcher not working.

The point at which your log stops, on my Mac it enumerates what DLCs are installed and then does a bunch of other Steam stuff. But if Steam were the problem,
the clean reinstall we did upthread would have fixed that.

There's something wrong on this Mac but I'm just not seeing what it is, I am sorry! We just don't see this kind of issue on MacOS , usually only Windows.

If you run a First Aid on your Mac's volumes does that find anything to fix?

What if you make another user in MacOS, log into the Mac as that, and try the game there?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, great!