• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

martindude03

Recruit
52 Badges
Oct 19, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II
I am on a Mac, and I have tried other solutions found on this board (Deleting the launcher folder, verifying the integrity of the files), but when I open the game on steam, the launcher still does not open. The paradox interactive folder reinstalls itself, but the only thing in the folder is launcher-v2, which only contains a logs folder, which only contains logs, attached below. Is there another way to reinstall the launcher besides deleting it and opening eu4 on steam?

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    215 bytes · Views: 0
Is there another way to reinstall the launcher besides deleting it and opening eu4 on steam?
HOI4 and Stellaris will install the game launcher. But I assume they have the same problem?

Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.8-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

Good luck with that!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Andrew, I have the exact same issue, the only files left in the launcher v2 are log files. Maybe overzealous in cleaning out all of the files...

Dowser log states the following:

020-12-02 03:10:51 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:10:51 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
/Users/chris/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2
2020-12-02 03:48:17 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:48:17 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:48:40 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:48:40 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:48:51 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:48:51 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:49:03 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:49:03 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:49:28 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:49:28 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:50:06 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:50:06 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:56:21 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:56:21 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:
2020-12-02 03:56:34 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 03:56:34 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:

Would you recommend installing the Mac package and if so can you give me an updated link fro it? Thanks.

Simply deleting the folder I mention in post #2 really should fix that. It will also delete the log files, so if they are still there I guess we need you to try deleting that folder again.

Deleting the folder and then pressing the green play button in Steam, just results in Steam briefly launching, running and then closing immediately. Steam appears to recreate the ~Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive folder containing logs only with the following dowser log.

2020-12-02 16:55:59 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2020.2
2020-12-02 16:55:59 [main] [INFO][0m The bootstrapper file does not exists:

I'm not clear where the actual installer app is located, because Steam does not appear to be loading it.

UPDATE:
So Steam was not triggering the launcher when the green play button was pressed. Solution in Steam: -> Manage -> Browse Local Files -> run the file "launcher-installer-macos" -> [runs in terminal - launcher v2.05 & 2.11 are opened, updated and downloaded] -> wait for launcher to load all DLC -> Play

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The forced update and manual install of the launcher in this thread also fixed the problem for me.

I was seeing Steam just sit there showing "running" while nothing happened, or an almost instant crash if I booted the game directly from the app. It *looks like* the problem was my security settings; a normal run was blocked from executing so I had to right click and open that way to give permission to the launcher installer.

Commenting because I've been chasing this issue for hours across numerous threads. THIS IS THE SOLUTION - the forced install above is the missing piece.

The forced update and manual install of the launcher in this thread also fixed the problem for me.

I was seeing Steam just sit there showing "running" while nothing happened, or an almost instant crash if I booted the game directly from the app. It *looks like* the problem was my security settings; a normal run was blocked from executing so I had to right click and open that way to give permission to the launcher installer.

Commenting because I've been chasing this issue for hours across numerous threads. THIS IS THE SOLUTION - the forced install above is the missing piece.
I don't understand exactly where you have to right click to give permission to the launcher installer ? That is far from a clear instruction.

I don't understand exactly where you have to right click to give permission to the launcher installer ? That is far from a clear instruction.
Sorry - I didn't consider my comment a part of the solution so I wasn't specific. When the launcher installer has been downloaded, and before you run EU4 from steam, navigate to the folder ([user]/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Europa Universalis IV/ for me but you can locate it with the Mac search tool) and instead of double clicking the "launcher-installer-macos" file, which I found was blocked by my system, right click it and select open. This gives you the option to proceed anyway despite the security objection. This is just speculation from me, but I believe that the security objection was what stopped the auto-boot happening by simply hitting "play" in Steam.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sorry - I didn't consider my comment a part of the solution so I wasn't specific. When the launcher installer has been downloaded, and before you run EU4 from steam, navigate to the folder ([user]/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Europa Universalis IV/ for me but you can locate it with the Mac search tool) and instead of double clicking the "launcher-installer-macos" file, which I found was blocked by my system, right click it and select open. This gives you the option to proceed anyway despite the security objection. This is just speculation from me, but I believe that the security objection was what stopped the auto-boot happening by simply hitting "play" in Steam.
Thanks for the explanation I will try it.

Tried it, the NOT-launcher still don't work for me.

Last edited:
I have been trying for close to a year to play on my laptop... This finally did the trick for me after hours of searching different forums for answers. Thank you so much!