Castille didn't take Exploration question

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

agonistes

Colonel
29 Badges
Aug 13, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
If Aragon PU's Castille, and Castille takes Admin as a first idea, will they take exploration if later released?

I've got a really interesting game going, maybe the most interesting I've seen. Poland PU'd Hungary, but Bohemia attacked Hungary during the Polish-Hungarian war, as did Venice (and then Otto jumped on Venice), and Poland became the defender after the PU, so Poland became a monster fast (this was before 1460!). I was playing a small Brandenburg, telling myself I wasn't going to go crazy until 1600 or so, but then that happened.

Then Castille's ruler died, and Aragon got a PU over them, while Aragon was allied to Austria. And then Aragon forced the PU on Portugal. Portugal got exploration, but Castille took administrative. Right now, England, Castille, and France are fighting Portugal, Aragon (Aragon has eaten about 50% of Morocco), and Austria for Castille's independence. If successful, what are the odds Castille takes exploration at tech 7?

Its 1478, and only myself (Brandenburg) and Portugal have exploration. But Portugal has been wrecked three wars in a row, France then Aragon now the independence war (without losing land), and I think they have been too cash poor to send out a colonist. I'm the only one colonizing. Literally not a single other colony anywhere.

Very interesting game. Massive early Poland and Aragon. No colonizers. Can't wait to see what happens next.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is nuts.

So during the Castillian war for independence, Castille/England/France vs Aragon/Portugal/Austria, Burgundian Inheritance fires and Burgundy stays Burgundy. France objects and starts offensive war against Burgundy. Then Austria demands low countries from Burgundy.

Portugal has been fully occupied for about eight-ten years now. I'm still colonizing alone while the world falls into the abyss.

Poland has Wallachia and Serbia, so Otto is blocked going further into Europe unless he attacks into the Polish superblob.

Haha that sounds very crazy indeed - Screenshots would be nice :)

Regarding Exploration: As far as I understand Castile is almost guaranteed to pick it (x1000) unless it is a subject nation, doesn't have any ports or so (x0), so when they are not a subject nation anymore they should do so at the next opportunity.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Haha that sounds very crazy indeed - Screenshots would be nice :)

Regarding Exploration: As far as I understand Castile is almost guaranteed to pick it (x1000) unless it is a subject nation, doesn't have any ports or so (x0), so when they are not a subject nation anymore they should do so at the next opportunity.

Castille picked exploration at tech 7 once they were free. 1489 and STILL I'm the only colonizer! But now both Castille and England have exploration, so should see some activity soon.

I wasn't sure that they would if a subject. Portugal still took Expansion at 7 even though a March, if anyone is curious.

Sadly, everyone and their brother has exploration now, even Otto and Russia.
Unless things have changed in recent patches, the AI will NOT take exploration if they're a subject. If they took it before becoming subjugated, or if they were annexed and released, they're able to have explo ideas. IIRC it was a dev band aide fix to stop players from immediately vassalizing Portugal or another typical colonizer early on, ie before tech 5 or 7, and letting them colonize the new world for them, allowing the overlord nation to pick an actually useful idea while their subject made CNs.

No idea about expansion, though. If what was said is true, then it might not have the same block as explo, probably due to the lack of explorers meaning you can't discover the Americas, and otherwise revealed empty provinces are few and far between until mid game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Different game: France just got an early PU over Castille. Portugal took Economic second despite being independent. 1482 and I'm only competing with Portugal's Exploration at the moment.

I'm Tuetonic Prussia going for USA, with Mexico and Louisiana up and colonizing for me, and Indies are coming online soon. Soon as I unlock the Prussian governement, I'll switch to US. Take Divine before going Republic. I'm not 100% sure, and I'm curious if unlocking the Holy Prussian government will also unlock the Republic version as well if I switch to Republic after becoming US, or if I need to switch to Republic as Prussia, then to US.

In other words,
Teuton --> Prussia --> unlocks holy gov
then, Prussia --> US --> Republic : do I get the Prussian gov? OR
Prussia --> Republic --> US to get it.

I know you can keep the holy version if you tag switch to Poland. I DON'T know if Prussia switching to a republic unlocks the republic version.

Hmmm... I can just load the Poland game I guess and console in some reform to test.

Okay, Teutonic--->Prussia---> Poland, at least, can switch from a Prussian Monarchy to a Prussian Republic, so I will assume a Teutonic--->Prussia--->USA can switch from a holy prussian gov to a prussian republic.

I wasn't sure that they would if a subject. Portugal still took Expansion at 7 even though a March, if anyone is curious.

Sadly, everyone and their brother has exploration now, even Otto and Russia.

Any nation can take expansion, independent or not, as long as they meet the requirements (has exploration ideas, is a colonial nation, or borders a colonizable province), only exploration is hard-blocked by being a subject.

If you're intending to subjugate Castile and/or Portugal, it's advised to leave them until they reach Admin Tech 5, after which they'll pick Exploration and later Expansion, and now you have someone to do the colonising for you.