• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ragnarok Ascendant

Captain
15 Badges
Apr 10, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
This is mostly based off my experience running a Void Dwellers megacorp.

Megacorps need a lot more civic diversity. They're basically locked into a certain playstyle of xenophilic happy fun times. Influence crunch hits hard when trying to expand in the early game via branch offices, and said branch offices are too heavily locked into pop values for anything beyond energy and don't give very much in terms of resources from my experience (I think this is largely due to power creep over time since 2.2).

There's another thread here that discusses rebalancing the entire playstyle of megacorps. I'm not going to touch the civics stuff, I'm mostly focused on branch offices.

So, a few basic improvements are in order.

1) Change how branch offices expand. Gate the number of buildings behind techs, not pops - Society tech representing your megacorp's ability to manage conflicting fields on the same planet.
2) Branch office buildings are offered improvements at pop thresholds for a given planet. So a mining one can upgrade 10->20->50->100 minerals on a 0->10->40->80 pop threshold, as explained in dev diary #190 with the new infrastructure changes.
3) Have branch offices offer more to the host, and incorporate AI response. Say you have a branch office on a planet with Private Military Industries and Military Contractors. PMI should buff local ship build speed or lower the cost of vessels slightly - you're basically localizing heavy industry to a degree other political entities can't accomplish - and the AI should have incentive to build a shipyard there. Similarly, mining groups should provide more than 1 miner job, and instead buff miners slightly (not to a huge degree, obviously). Tying back in with 2), the upgrades to these branch office buildings should improve the buffs.

Separately, I think that there should be a Megacorps playstyle that lets you sell fleets to other empires wholesale.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
You should check out the new dev diarys: Branch office buildings are now tied to capital building upgrades, with an additional slot granted by a tradition. This means it's based on planetary infrastructure, with pop counts only being a pre-requisite (also front loads the branch offices buildings: 1st slot at 10 rather then 25, 2nd at 40 rather then 50). While I do like the idea of branch offices getting scaling benefits with size, I'm not sure how balanced it would be, same with local buffs from the buildings.

100% agree on a civic to sell/rent fleets (I'd go with an overhaul to the naval contractor civic). I played a mercenary megacorp in a RP Multiplayer campaign, and it was loads of fun.

Reactions:
You should check out the new dev diarys: Branch office buildings are now tied to capital building upgrades, with an additional slot granted by a tradition. This means it's based on planetary infrastructure, with pop counts only being a pre-requisite (also front loads the branch offices buildings: 1st slot at 10 rather then 25, 2nd at 40 rather then 50). While I do like the idea of branch offices getting scaling benefits with size, I'm not sure how balanced it would be, same with local buffs from the buildings.

100% agree on a civic to sell/rent fleets (I'd go with an overhaul to the naval contractor civic). I played a mercenary megacorp in a RP Multiplayer campaign, and it was loads of fun.

Huh. Must've missed that when they were going over infrastructure in general. #190, right? Isn't it still pop-gated, though? After all, the capitol building wasn't said to be changed in any way. I'm talking about decoupling it entirely from pops and basing it only on your willingness to invest in managing branches via tech upgrades and resources.

I'm terrible at balancing things. I play Gigastructures, balance is only a suggestion to buy time for my Nidvaellir Hyperforge to come online. :p

I was incredibly disappointed that 'naval contractors' meant 'you're going to take things by force' rather than 'tipping the balance of galactic wars by selling an overpriced fleet to a useful lackey'. I want to give people titans dammit.
(Okay but seriously, nudging the Marauders out of their preferred market would be hilarious).

Reactions:
Huh. Must've missed that when they were going over infrastructure in general. #190, right? Isn't it still pop-gated, though? After all, the capitol building wasn't said to be changed in any way. I'm talking about decoupling it entirely from pops and basing it only on your willingness to invest in managing branches via tech upgrades and resources.

I'm terrible at balancing things. I play Gigastructures, balance is only a suggestion to buy time for my Nidvaellir Hyperforge to come online. :p

I was incredibly disappointed that 'naval contractors' meant 'you're going to take things by force' rather than 'tipping the balance of galactic wars by selling an overpriced fleet to a useful lackey'. I want to give people titans dammit.
(Okay but seriously, nudging the Marauders out of their preferred market would be hilarious).

Currently, you just get a flat bonus from branch office buildings. Disconnecting branch office buildings from pops/development entirely means you can just plop down a bunch of mining operations on some new colony and get 40 minerals... even if there aren't any actual miners on the planet, or even pops beyond the starting two colonists. It's both not balanced and doesn't make much sense that a full ecumenopolis would have the same opportunities for development as a newly made colony.

Currently, you just get a flat bonus from branch office buildings. Disconnecting branch office buildings from pops/development entirely means you can just plop down a bunch of mining operations on some new colony and get 40 minerals... even if there aren't any actual miners on the planet, or even pops beyond the starting two colonists. It's both not balanced and doesn't make much sense that a full ecumenopolis would have the same opportunities for development as a newly made colony.

Then what would you suggest to avoid pop-gating?