• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The marriage seems to have begun in a businesslike way - let’s hope the heirs start popping out soon! While Nikephoros I clearly not to be trusted, Roussel is sounding pretty shrill about him. A bit cheeky, given how he got his title in the first place.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The marriage seems to have begun in a businesslike way - let’s hope the heirs start popping out soon!
I think that's inevitable for this era and rank of nobility. Roussel is the only character in his dynasty, so I need lots of heirs!
While Nikephoros I clearly not to be trusted, Roussel is sounding pretty shrill about him. A bit cheeky, given how he got his title in the first place.
I've been trying to get across Roussel's paranoia, so hopefully it's not too hamfisted. Roussel is the protagonist, but he is certainly not the hero of this story. I've played a bit ahead, and the character flaws keep coming...

Reactions:
Chapter 3: Opening Moves (Dec. 1071)
Chapter 3: Opening Moves (Dec. 1071)

Nikephoros rejected Roussel's demand that he renew his vassal oaths, causing Roussel to attempt to revoke Nikephoros' counties. However, Nikephoros raised his flag in rebellion, marching against Roussel's territory in Charsianon.

0VygjIN.png

Roussel gathered his own levies in Kaisereia, numbering almost 3000 men. They were joined by soldiers' families, cooks, prostitutes, and many other camp followers.

Roussel was headed back to his personal tent after meeting with his commanders, Henry and Bishop Bohemond. He dodged a cart trundling along, passing rows and rows of tents. As he neared his tent, he saw a most beautiful woman roasting a hog over a fire. She was clearly not a noblewoman, but there was a certain charm about her.

"Greetings, what is your name?" Roussel said as he approached.

"My name is Ermyntrude, my lord," she stammered out.

"What a charming name. Would you accompany me to my tent?"

"Certainly, my lord. I would be pleased to serve you."

Together, the two went to Roussel's tent. He found it so relaxing to speak with a Norman woman who understood him and had so much in common. As the night went on and the wine flowed, the conservation turned from Normandy to more intimate matters...

qC8MTrL.png

Reinvigorated by his evening with Ermyntrude, Roussel and his army marched north to meet the levies of Nikephoros. Scouts had reported the Greeks were across the river, making a battle just a matter of pinning them down.

Roussel finally got the rebels to commit to battle near Sebastea, within the county of Charsianon. Roussel was confident of victory, easily outnumbering the rebels, but he did not want to take significant casualties. The terrain was fairly flat, denying either side an advantage. Roussel and his commanders planned to use their superior cavalry and heavy infantry to break the Greeks, capturing many in the rout.

KtNQrif.png

Surprisingly, the rebels advanced on Roussel's position, beginning the battle. Their forces were arrayed in one long line, with the archers screening the attack and cavalry held in reserve. Due to Roussel's superior numbers, he was able to stretch his line much further. Bishop Bohemond was expected to brush aside opposition on his flank and surround the Greek center.

As the rebels approached, Roussel ordered his archers forward to harass the advance. In the first volley, the Greek peasants on Roussel's left flank panicked, making Bishop Bohemond's task even simpler. As the Greeks made their final approach, Roussel withdrew his archers and ordered his infantry forward. On the left flank, Bishop Bohemond advanced almost unopposed, disrupting the flank of the rebels' center.

As Roussel's heavy infantry hit the rebels' center, their line collapsed almost immediately. The battle quickly devolved into isolated pockets rather than a continuous line. Roussel thought he spied the banner of Nikephoros, surrounded on one side by Roussel's light infantry. Seeing a gap in the line, Roussel led his household knights forward in an attempt to capture or kill Nikephoros. The knights were arrayed and charged forward. The Greeks realized their danger just in time to panic, collapsing as the Normans attacked.

NcPGPzT.jpg

Roussel's lance struck home, shattering a Greek warrior's shield and knocking him to the ground. Roussel cast aside the broken lance and drew his sword, slashing at the terrified rebels before him. A well-armored Greek advanced on Roussel, attempting to close in and strike a blow. However, Roussel had a greater reach attacking from horseback. Roussel urged his horse forward, causing the man to stumble backwards and lower his guard. Roussel exploited this moment of weakness, landing a solid blow. The rebel collapsed to the ground, yielding to Roussel; he must have been the leader because his surrender caused the others to turn and flee. Many of Roussel's cavalry pursued the scattered rebels while the rest looted or took prisoners.

erxV3NP.png

Roussel was still wearing his mail, covered in sweat and rebel blood, when his guards entered the tent with the Greek leader in shackles and heavily damaged armor. One of the guards jabbed him with the shaft of a spear, forcing him to his knees.

"I present Mayor Germanos, leader of the rebel army, my lord," one guard said.

"Where is Nikephoros? I saw his standard in the center, but find you instead," Roussel said.

Germanos hesitated for a moment, finally saying, "He remains in his keep. He said he no longer enjoys camp life, ordering me to lead the campaign instead. I suspect you can find him there, leisurely waiting for word of my success."

"Well, Mayor, I shall allow you to send him a message, but it will not be of your success. Inform Nikephoros I have crushed his army and demand his surrender. If he refuses, I shall siege his lands and drag him out of his keep myself!" Roussel boasted.

CmH7ghP.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Reinvigorated by his evening with Ermyntrude
It’s good to be the Duke! Into battle with a sharpened lance ...
Seeing a gap in the line, Roussel led his household knights forward in an attempt to capture or kill Nikephoros.
This ended well, but it could have been like Richard III at Bosworth. :eek:

A devastating victory in the end. It would take a miracle for his rebellious predecessor to recover from that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Rebel Scum is perfectly willing to toss the Head Roach Under the Bus!
They sure are! Why would some Mayor be interested in a revolt when his liege can't even be bothered to show up? I guess Nikephoros is really satisfying his slothful trait.
It’s good to be the Duke! Into battle with a sharpened lance ...
:D That's probably the hardest line to toe with CK2 AARs. Everyone knows what's happening, but I don't want to make it too weird.
This ended well, but it could have been like Richard III at Bisworth. :eek:
I had to look this up, but they are eerily similar! Luckily, the Greeks were totally unprepared for the Norman charge.
A devastating victory in the end. It would take a miracle for his rebellious predecessor to recover from that.
I would have to agree. I suspect the next chapter will cover the closing stages of the rebellion, and maybe its immediate aftermath.

Reactions:
Chapter 4: End of the Rebellion
Chapter 4: End of the Rebellion (Jan. 1072 - Sep. 1072 )

After crushing the rebels' army, Roussel and his men headed for Nyssa to begin a siege. They arrived on Feb. 19, while the rebels withdrew to Tyana to try to raise new levies.

GcGJP5M.png

On Feb. 24, Ermyntrude informed Roussel that she was pregnant with his child. The two of them had been together regularly on campaign, but Roussel ordered her to return to Kaisereia due to her pregnancy. Rumors were sure to spread, but he couldn't keep the mother of his child in a siege camp.

YxblAIn.png

The siege finally ended in early June, so Roussel led his forces to Tyana to crush the remnants of Nikephoros' army. This battle was much harder as the rebels established themselves on a large hill, forcing Roussel to attack.

hbS4LKW.png

Roussel outnumbered the rebels vastly, but the terrain was certain to make the approach more difficult. The archers were not very useful for this battle, while Roussel's knights struggled to make a solid charge uphill. Roussel ordered his peasant levies forward, knowing they would likely be pushed back by the Greeks. Sure enough, the levies routed down the hill toward Roussel's forces. The rebels were not disciplined, and many of their levies charged down the hill in pursuit. As the Greek line became disorganized, Roussel and his knights fell upon them, routing the enemy.

hm7B8BU.png

Roussel's excellent ambush gained him much renown among the realms of Anatolia. He certainly had much to be proud of, having crushed the rebels once more. Once again, one of Nikephoros' commanders was captured, this time a lowborn named Sergios. Nikephoros must have been hiding in the keep in Tyana as he still refused to face Roussel in battle.

3KgavVL.png

Roussel periodically received news from his wife in Kaisereia. She had been ruling as regent in his absence, often adjudicating any disputes and ensuring taxes were collected. During this time, Roussel had also ordered his chaplain, Bishop Turstin to begin tutoring Theophano in Norman culture. He must have also spoken to Theophano of religion because she told Roussel she had decided to convert to Catholicism.

znNQnmB.png

The final battle of the rebellion occurred in Nyssa after Roussel's forces had pursued the rebels for a month and a half. The rebels were crushed once more, convincing Nikephoros to give up before Roussel came and dragged him from his keep.

SSJ23LZ.png

On Sep. 7, 1072, Nikephoros surrendered to Roussel and gave up his revolt. In return, Nikephoros was placed under house arrest, imprisoned within his chambers in Roussel's keep. Roussel did not hate Nikephoros, so he did not wish to destroy the young noble. Nikephoros' fate was uncertain, but he would likely lose at least one of, if not both, of his titles.

MLAOnrU.png

With the rebellion crushed, Roussel would soon be returning to his keep. He had not seen his wife Theophano for almost 9 months, while Ermyntrude was due to give birth soon. In many ways, war was much simpler than the maelstrom Roussel was sure to face in Kaisereia...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nikephoros' fate was uncertain, but he would likely lose at least one of, if not both, of his titles.
I thought it was going to be one or both of his heads! :D

All goes well enough, even if a decision about a bastard will loom - and Theophano is likely to be displeased.

From the frying pan to the fire. Being general is easier than juggling a wife and a pregnant girlfriend.
That's what I'm thinking! And there aren't likely to be many more wars to get away from it all.
I thought it was going to be one or both of his heads! :D
Well, Roussel hasn't quite gotten into that part of Byzantine politics yet, but he's always willing to try new things!
All goes well enough, even if a decision about a bastard will loom - and Theophano is likely to be displeased.
Yes, he is certainly upsetting one of the women in his life. About par for the course for medieval rulers, but still not a nice situation.

Reactions:
Chapter 5: Trouble on the Homefront (Sep. 1072 - Feb. 1073)
Chapter 5: Unrest at Home (Sep. 1072 - Feb. 1073 )

With victory over Nikephoros, Roussel began to march back to Kaisereia with Nikephoros in tow. On the way back, he received word of a war in Cilicia; Iosephos had decided to usurp Lykandos from Gagik, former king of Armenia and current count under Iosephos. Both sides were evenly matched, but Roussel would have liked to join and tip the balance. Unfortunately, he did not a claim to press or an alliance with either side. He would have especially liked to join Gagik and humiliate Iosephos in revenge for his past betrayal.

yeZrsK7.png

Roussel reached Kaisereia on Sept. 18, and two days later he was a father. Ermyntrude had given birth to a healthy baby boy, named Robert. Ermyntrude initially wanted to name the boy Nigel, but Roussel overruled her.

g7LuxBZ.png

Roussel was in his personal chambers considering what to do with his new son when Theophano stormed in.

"You bastard! How could you do this to me?!" Theophano screamed. "You humiliated me! I am your lawful wife before man and God, and you choose that Norman harlot over me!"

Roussel stood up from his chair, forcing Theophano to sit across from him. He poured two glasses of wine, offering her one.

"I do not know what you've been told, but I do not humiliate you, my wife. I admitted my dalliance with Ermyntrude, but he shall remain a bastard. Whatever children we have together shall inherit, I guarantee you this. Ermyntrude's son shall never rule in Charsianon."

Theophano departed in silence, clearly not satisfied by Roussel's concession, but glad that he had not completely humiliated her by legitimizing the bastard. Roussel also agreed to keep Ermyntrude and her son in a separate wing of the castle where they would not disturb Theophano.

In early October, Roussel's lords finally approved the institution of Low Centralization. This allowed Roussel to directly govern another county. Nikephoros had long opposed this law change, but his imprisonment removed his votes. After convincing Bishop Turstin, the law was passed. Roussel then decided to revoke the county of Nyssa from Nikephoros and govern it personally. No one objected due to Nikephoros' revolt, and many considered it a light punishment. Nikephoros remained under house arrest, and Roussel was certainly not through with him...

m5W6k0w.png

The winter months passed quietly until an incident in mid-February. Roussel was in the local church, listening to Bishop Turstin read from the Bible in Latin. Suddenly, Roussel screamed in agony, falling from the pew onto the floor. As the priest rushed to his side, Roussel began screaming about a seven-eyed lamb holding seven scrolls. Even more bizarrely, Roussel was screaming in bits of Norman French, Greek, Latin, Armenian, and other unknown languages. This was impossible! Roussel only knew French and Greek, never having spoken anything else.

Suddenly, Roussel screamed, "The seven eyed Lamb had been slain, but it lives again! Stay away from me Bishop, you are a deceiver, wicked in your ways!" Roussel then began screaming obscenities at Bishop Turstin, cursing him for his lying ways. As Theophano tried to help Roussel, his eyes rolled back in his head, showing only the whites, as his mouth began to froth.

"Do not touch me woman, for I am with the Lamb and the Lamb is with me!" After this, Roussel fell silent, passing out from his exertions. His body was no longer writhing but was boiling hot to the touch.

OcTt55v.jpg

None knew what to say of Roussel's outburst, but his most loyal friends, Simon and Humbert, rushed him to his quarters in the keep. All were told to keep quiet about what they had witnessed, but rumors were spreading like wildfire anyways. Many began to speak of Roussel as possessed by a demon for how else could he know such things? Even Roussel's closest companions had been disturbed, and no one was sure what would happen when he awoke...

BlkNWZd.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ermyntrude initially wanted to name the boy Nigel, but Roussel overruled her.
A good decision! :D
I admitted my dalliance with Ermyntrude, but he shall remain a bastard. Whatever children we have together shall inherit, I guarantee you this. Ermyntrude's son shall never rule in Charsianon.
Theophano departed in silence, clearly not satisfied by Roussel's concession, but glad that he had not completely humiliated her by legitimizing the bastard.
Handled as well as it could be, I guess.
Roussel then decided to revoke the county of Nyssa from Nikephoros and govern it personally. No one objected due to Nikephoros' revolt, and many considered it a light punishment.
One or both heads to be lopped off at a future point? Perhaps Roussel can claim it was the seven-eyed lamb that made him do it!
Suddenly, Roussel screamed, "The seven eyed Lamb had been slain, but it lives again! Stay away from me Bishop, you are a deceiver, wicked in your ways!" Roussel then began screaming obscenities at Bishop Turstin, cursing him for his lying ways. As Theophano tried to help Roussel, his eyes rolled back in his head, showing only the whites, as his mouth began to froth.

"Do not touch me woman, for I am with the Lamb and the Lamb is with me!" After this, Roussel fell silent, passing out from his exertions. His body was no longer writhing but was boiling hot to the touch.
Many began to speak of Roussel as possessed by a demon for how else could he know such things? Even Roussel's closest companions had been disturbed, and no one was sure what would happen when he awoke...
Uh oh, not good. Still, it shouldn't completely incapacitate him from ruling. Unless it gets worse ... I hope he hasn't been targeted by one of those Satanic cults. :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully he will get the modifier that has hand of god leading army (do not remember exact wording but 20 martial is very good).
That would be quite interesting! I have never had a possessed character before, so this could be interesting
A good decision! :D
That's what I'm thinking! If even an Australian doesn't approve, who could?
Handled as well as it could be, I guess.
Yeah, Roussel's lustful trait certainly gets him into trouble...
One or both heads to be lopped off at a future point? Perhaps Roussel can claim it was the seven-eyed lamb that made him do it!
That's what I'm thinking! Who knows what the voices might say!
Uh oh, not good. Still, it shouldn't completely incapacitate him from ruling. Unless it gets worse ... I hope he hasn't been targeted by one of those Satanic cults. :eek:
I hope so too! I can always legitimize Robert if necessary, so the game isn't over (knock on wood), but it could get pretty weird...I'm not sure how to handle the possession exactly. I'm thinking random fits of madness, but then he's functional and normal most of the time. What do you guys think?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Roussel seems like an interesting character.

Interested in seeing how this demon possession affects him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Roussel seems like an interesting character.
I think so too. There's just enough historical information to give a feel for him, but there are a lot of details that can be filled in. Thanks for following along, and hopefully I can keep it entertaining!
Interested in seeing how this demon possession affects him.
I'll be curious too. I have to do some thinking on how I want things to go as well as what events the game gives me.

Reactions:
Chapter 6: Visions or Delusions? (Feb. 1073 - June 1073)
Chapter 6: Visions or Delusions? (Feb. 1073 - June 1073)

Roussel was in his chambers, though they were only dimly lit by a single candle. His head ached, and his throat was parched. Next to him was his wife, Theophano. She had pulled a chair beside his bed and waited for him, though she had clearly fallen asleep.

Roussel tried to speak to her, but his throat hurt. Instead, he gently nudged her shoulder while he drank from a pitcher of water on the table near his bed. Theophano woke with a start, clearly surprised to see Roussel awake and seemingly calm.

"I see you are awake husband. You have been sleeping for over a day now. Some thought you might never wake," Theophano said. "What is the last thing you remember?"

"I remember Bishop Turstin preaching, and then I was someplace else. I saw a Lamb with seven eyes and seven horns. It spoke to me, and then it removed a seal from a scroll. A rider appeared; he was a giant, at least seven feet tall, atop a huge white horse. The man bore a bow, and he placed a crown upon his head. Then he rode off, swearing he would conquer!"

"Roussel, you must not speak of these things to anyone. It is unnatural for you to see such visions; some people speak of it as the work of the Devil. Humbert and Simon have clamped down on such talk, but the rumors still persist. You must not add fuel to the fire, or the peasants may rise against us."

"I swear I am not possessed! Have you not read of the prophets in the Bible? They saw visions stranger than mine, and yet I am accused of demonic influence? Keep Turstin away from me, I do not want to deal with his false concern." With that final pronouncement, Roussel stood up to leave.

Theophano hurried after him, grabbing his arm as he headed for the door. "My husband, you must realize that it is not natural! Perhaps you are right, and it is like the prophets of old. But what if you are wrong, and these are false visions? Please, just talk to Turstin. Surely he can help to determine what these visions mean and where they are from."

Roussel shrugged Theophano off, grunted in acknowledgement, and was on his way to the council chambers. Theophano was greatly upset, throwing the now empty pitcher of water against the wall and tearing Roussel's bed apart. She sat herself down in the corner, tears trickling down her face.

On May 5, 1073, Roussel was informed that Doux Nikephoros of Opsikion, Theophano's grandfather, had died in his sleep at the age of 71. With his death, Theophano's mother, Euphrosyne, inherited his duchy and counties. Since Roussel had married her daughter, the two were closely enough related to form an alliance. Messengers were sent, and the agreement was made on May 24.

ebjdl68.png

Duchess Euphrosyne was one of the strongest vassals of the Greek's empire, so together they could likely face any opponent. Roussel hoped to avoid getting drawn into the byzantine schemes of the Greeks, but the alliance might require his involvement. Instead, Roussel planned to use the Duchess as a threat rather than a military ally. No enemy should attack Roussel because that might draw the Duchess in, likely turning the tide of battle.

vNcBdHL.png

Roussel had stopped seeing Theophano after seeing what she had done to his chambers. He absolutely refused to speak of his visions with Bishop Turstin, and his wife could not forgive him for this. With his wife angry, Roussel was driven into the arms of his lover, Ermyntrude. This angered Theophano even more, causing her to argue with Roussel even more.

Roussel's fits also continued, seeming to happen at random. Sometimes he would go weeks without issue, while other times he would have several fits in a single day. There had been no more strange visions, but Roussel continued to collapse, scream in pain, and yell curse words during these fits. Ermyntrude did not seem to mind, but Theophano became more convinced each time that they were the work of a demon.

After every argument with his wife, Roussel went to Ermyntrude to vent his frustrations and relieve his stress. After another night complaining of his wife, Ermyntrude suggested they retire to an estate in the countryside, escaping the stress of court. There, they would be free to live like man and wife, pretending Ermyntrude was the duchess and not Theophano...

ZlpHb55.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ermyntrude suggested they retire to an estate in the countryside, escaping the stress of court. There, they would be free to live like man and wife, pretending Ermyntrude was the duchess and not Theophano...
With everything else Roussel [edit - a/c changed it to Rousseau! :D] needs some relief - that’s a nice event for the diplo and health buffs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Is he possessed by the devil or a devil woman?
That's certainly open to interpretation!
With everything else Rousseau needs some relief - that’s a nice event for the diplo and health buffs.
Everyone can use a vacation! It also helps to offset some of the downsides of being possessed.

Reactions: