• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I may also advocate for trying out a game as an absolute demon on earth (not NK-mode). It's surprisingly fun (if you can stomach all kinds of atrocities committed by such a character). Thanks to your local unfriendly demon-worshipper, it's even viable.
Playing a Vlad the Impaler style character could be fun and the total opposite of my normal strategy!
At least even the ordinary game gives you the chance to try out many different types of characters. As the Hel-worshipping Dark Fylkir of my current Rurikid game has shown me. If it gets too much, you can go back to a goody two-shoes afterwards, or something in between.

I like the way you’ve RPed Roussel In this one and the latest exploit is entirely in character. And probably pretty common for the time. It still goes on today, alas!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I like the way you’ve RPed Roussel In this one and the latest exploit is entirely in character. And probably pretty common for the time. It still goes on today, alas!
I'm glad it came off that way! He's certainly not a role model, but that makes him more believable.

At least even the ordinary game gives you the chance to try out many different types of characters. As the Hel-worshipping Dark Fylkir of my current Rurikid game has shown me. If it gets too much, you can go back to a goody two-shoes afterwards, or something in between.
That does sound intriguing...I don't know what kind of men Roussel's sons will be since there haven't been any events yet, but they will almost certainly come out differently.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 15: Shaping an Heir (Nov. 1080 - Mar. 1081)
Chapter 15: Shaping an Heir ( Nov. 1080 - Mar. 1081 )

Another feast was held after the harvest to celebrate the marriage of Robert de Ferrers, Count Henry's son and heir, marriage. It was not as large a celebration as before, but all the notables of the realm still made an effort to attend. Roussel was heavily involved in the ceremony since the bride, Oriel, had been one of Theophano's ladies. The young woman knew court etiquette and household finances very well, making her an excellent match to a future count. Robert was not so versatile, but he was a skilled warrior and budding tactician.

5gnX7vw.png

Roussel and Mechthild had continued to meet in secret despite the risk of upsetting her husband. It became something of a game as she tried to slip away from her husband while Roussel dodged his wife, Ermyntrude, and his children. This had been relatively harmless until Mechthild informed Roussel she was almost certainly pregnant in December. The two decided the best solution would be to pretend the child was legitimate and unconnected to Roussel in any way. In exchange, Roussel guaranteed the child would be taken care of and raised as a noble.

gJGgKlk.png

Over the fall, Vahram had managed to stabilize his realm and rebuild his army to roughly 1000 men. He had spent these months besieging keeps across Cilicia, slowly turning the war back in his favor. Roussel was uncertain what had happened to the Danishmend army since they had not raised any more soldiers despite all their territories being unoccupied. If the trend continued, Vahram might hold Cilicia and prevent further Seljuk expansion.

In January, Roussel's spymaster reported on a major engagement between the Greek emperor and rebel army. The rebels had placed Constantinople under siege, threatening to topple the emperor and establish a new ruler. The emperor led a smaller but more skilled army against the rebels in a desperate attempt to relieve the capital. The rebels used their superior numbers to great effect, overrunning the emperor's army and sending him into route. Roussel's spies did not know how many soldiers fell, but it was a significant victory for the rebels and allowed them to continue to threaten Constantinople.

laXU6c6.png

As February began, Roussel's (legitimate) son, Anfroi, became old enough to require a guardian to guide him into adulthood. The sad reality was that very few people in the duchy were worthy of tutoring the heir, so Roussel became the boy's guardian. Roussel vowed he would sharpen Anfroi into a warrior capable of guarding the realm and possibly expanding it against the neighboring states.

Whatever happened, Roussel did not want his son to become a soft, spoiled noble unable to do anything but indulge his fancies. Roussel had met many a man in his years as a mercenary and despised them as the fools they were. His son would be raised to understand struggle and discipline, the keys to good rulership.

LsSQzWO.png

Note: Another relatively short chapter, but I had some time, and there's a bit of a gap between the end of this chapter and anything else I can write about. I hope it's filled with enough interesting events since I think many of these should become more significant as the AAR progresses.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The father’s ambitions are reasonable enough - but of course give no guarantee.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you mind refreshing me on Roussel's stats and education? If you are feeling gamey, you can shift Anfroi to a tutor with a 4star education just before he turns 16 to increase his chance at a four star education.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At least Anfroi is already a better back-stabber than Robert.
I'm pretty pleased with his stats so far, especially considering he has no traits yet.

The father’s ambitions are reasonable enough - but of course give no guarantee.
It really hinges on whether he lives long enough to stabilize the realm. He hasn't given any sign of dying, but medieval life is far from certain...

Do you mind refreshing me on Roussel's stats and education? If you are feeling gamey, you can shift Anfroi to a tutor with a 4star education just before he turns 16 to increase his chance at a four star education.
Roussel is a 4 star martial character with martial being his best stat at 18, followed by 5 diplomacy, 8 stewardship, 4 intrigue, 10 learning. Not an amazing character but fairly solid.

Reactions:
Roussel is a great tutor. Anfroi is accumulating the important but mysterious base value points. I would be quite happy with a 45point character like Roussel.
I really am, and he has a lot of interesting traits that make him complicated. I hope the sons will turn out well, there are four (so far), so odds seem to be in my favor. Anfroi should start to develop some character now that he is 6 and can get events for traits.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A good decision. The boy needs to learn to take nothing for granted - the Norman state in Anatolia is in a precarious situation.

It's good news if Vahram can hold his duchy. And no matter if the emperor is fully defeated or not, Byzantium remains unstable, which can only mean good news for Roussel as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A good decision. The boy needs to learn to take nothing for granted - the Norman state in Anatolia is in a precarious situation.
That is for sure! I have quite a few levies (~5000), but that's basically nothing compared to the Seljuks' ~20,000 and Byzantine's ~8,000 during the revolt.

It's good news if Vahram can hold his duchy. And no matter if the emperor is fully defeated or not, Byzantium remains unstable, which can only mean good news for Roussel as well.
I'm hoping he can, but I really don't know what is going on with that goofy war. The Danishmends have had plenty of time to rebuild but haven't done anything! I do appreciate the Byzantine's instability since they have claims to all my lands and could attack whenever.

Reactions:
An interesting tale! Getting myself caught up and it's an enjoyable read, I look forward to seeing where this goes. Also yes, sometime the game can suprise you with how inactive/defensive bigger opponents can be.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks @Superstorm ! I really appreciate your following along and hope to keep you interested. Feel free to comment on old parts if you want and I'll do my best to answer them.
Also yes, sometime the game can suprise you with how inactive/defensive bigger opponents can be.
I'm not going to complain! I think the Seljuks are more focused on the east, so I'll just keep hoping they ignore me!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 16: The Passing of the Old Guard (Apr. 1081 - Nov. 1081)
Chapter 16: The Passing of the Old Guard ( Apr. 1081 - Nov. 1081 )

The rest of the winter and early spring were quiet and had few events of note. In April, the Greeks and rebels encountered in another battle for Constantinople. The numbers were much more equal this time, but the emperor led 1500 reinforcements into the battle at the decisive moment, shattering the rebel army. This suddenly made the rebellion far less certain, and it appeared it would be a race to see which side could rebuild its army…

ZNv9Bq2.png

On July 6, Mechthild gave birth to her and Roussel’s child but managed to pass the boy off as her husband’s. Roussel was not confident the charade could be continued since the boy might look like him as he grew older; Ranulph and Roussel looked very different from each other, so the only hope was the boy had more of his mother in him…

iaYDSef.png

In September, the Greek emperor faced another revolt even though he had not put down the first. This consisted of Duchess Theophanos’ mother and uncle and intended to place Prince Michael Doukas on the imperial throne. This left the emperor with the core territories around Constantinople, eastern Greece, southern Greece, and the western coast of Anatolia. About half of Greece and three quarters of Anatolia were warring against the emperor which left the outcome uncertain.

Yy240CM.png

Roussel had been informed of this new revolt by Aubrey, one of his spymaster’s best agents. The woman was hideous to look upon, but she had a knack for getting information. After informing Roussel of his mother-in-law’s revolt, she had remained in Kaisereia seemingly collecting new information.

Roussel had been speaking with his current spymaster, Mayor Aubrey (Note: well that’s confusing!), when he noticed the woman watching intently. His spymaster was clearly oblivious they were being spied upon and continued to discuss the identity of his informants throughout the keep. This embarrassing episode convinced Roussel that Lady Aubrey was the right spymaster for him.

bTsp6Sn.png

Lady Aubrey quickly achieved results by acquiring inside knowledge on the revolts against Constantinople (Note: She got me military tech, but I don’t have any satisfying way to explain that in narrative). Mayor Aubrey had been upset by his dismissal, but Roussel now knew he had made the right choice.

The remaining fall passed in peace until November. On Nov. 12, Marshal Simon died after he had suddenly fallen ill a few days before. He was only 45 and had worked his way up from an infantryman to trusted lieutenant of the mercenary company. Despite being a commoner, Roussel had named Simon his marshal and trusted the man in matters of war. There had never been a chance to land him, and now there never would be…

R2p0QlN.png

Simon’s funeral was one of the grandest the duchy had seen in its short existence, and Roussel walked with his friend all the way to the grave. As Simon fell ill, he had made Roussel promise to honor him in death as he had in life, and Roussel excelled in this duty.

Despite being a friend, Simon had also been one of the most skilled generals in the entirety of the duchy. Roussel was the only man comparable in skill, so there were large shoes to fill, and Roussel’s council was suddenly much weaker. Toros Pahlavuni, another son of Hetum, was appointed as marshal since he was the most skilled general beside Henry de Ferrers. This also served to further bind the Pahlavunis to Roussel’s realm, and it might grant some legitimacy in future plans to take more of Cilicia.

K56wZxn.png

The final problem was that Simon had been tutoring Robert, Roussel’s oldest (but illegitimate) son in the ways of war. Once again, there was no capable man to take over the studies, so Roussel shouldered the burden himself. Theophano was not amused by his close involvement with the bastard, but he brushed off the criticism by promising to focus his efforts on Anfroi.

Ia4EW0w.png

Roussel entered a period of melancholy after Simon’s death due to suddenly being confronted by his own mortality and the relentless approach of death. None of Roussel’s sons were old enough to rule, and a loyal set of advisors was only slowly beginning to form.

Roussel was sulking in his chambers with a window open, breathing in the cold morning air. He was roused from his reverie by a sudden knock on the door, followed by a servant announcing his presence.

“My lord, I was sent to inform you of new gifts awaiting you; a book of poetry and a new falcon are available for your pleasure.” With that, the servant was dismissed and left Roussel to his thoughts. Clearly only someone who knew Roussel was distraught would think of providing these gifts, but the question was who. It was not appropriate to ask the servant, for what if it was Mechthild?

Roussel returned to his slump, but the seed had been planted. A few hours later, he resolved to take the falcon hunting and thoughts of Simon soon fell away.

S6gDeBl.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Prepare for Bad Hunt! I wish that, with scandalous councilors, female subjects would get a opinion buff instead of a negative. It is a little bit jarring for me to see marshal and spymaster instead of protostrator and mystikos while in Byzantine area of influence.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The counsellors loyalty is inspiring ...
It certainly isn't my best showing. I believe there's a -30 penalty from revoking the city and bishopric earlier while there's another penalty for the female spymaster. It would be a lot better if there weren't those penalties.

Prepare for Bad Hunt!
I never understood why this is a 50-50 event. It seems like certain traits could influence one or the other, or at least change the likelihoods a bit. I would certainly prefer Roussel to be a falconer, he doesn't strike me as much of a poet.

I wish that, with scandalous councilors, female subjects would get a opinion buff instead of a negative.
That is a good point. I'd never thought about that, but now it's a little annoying it isn't that way. That'd make it a much better tradeoff if there's an important duchess and some countesses or something.

It is a little bit jarring for me to see marshal and spymaster instead of protostrator and mystikos while in Byzantine area of influence.
Just another hint of how the Normans are different. It won't be quite as weird once the Crusades start, assuming they go well, as more Catholics fill up the Holy Land. I think that's part of the appeal of the Bailleul start since it is very unique and different.

Reactions:
Chapter 17: Molding an Heir (Dec. 1081 - Mar. 1082)
Chapter 17: Molding an Heir ( Dec. 1081 - Mar. 1082 )

Roussel had spent the remainder of November hunting with his new falcon and found he greatly enjoyed it. The hunt helped take his mind off of Simon and accept his passing while also allowing the duke to roam across his realm and see its condition. After finishing his latest hunting trip, he returned to Kaisereia and decided to focus on educating his heir, Anfroi.

nnMvvfB.png

About a week after his return, Roussel was searching through his keep for the boy. As he passed the dungeons, Anfroi emerged carrying a bloody knife and covered in filthy clothes. The duke was shocked by what he saw and just stared for a moment. As Roussel recovered he advanced on the six-year-old and saw the boy's expression change from one of pride to fear.

ktuVzlg.png

"Son, you have just done an evil thing. Come with me, and I will teach you the right way." With that Roussel turned about and headed through the keep to the stables with his son hot on his heels. He ordered a servant to saddle up two horses, and father and son mounted once they were ready. The two exited the keep and rode through the city streets until they reached the town square, shadowed by a handful of Roussel's guards.. A platform had been set up and a crowd was gathering. Anfroi saw a man being led up the platform in shackles, flanked by two guards and a headsman.

"Papa, what did that man do? Are they going to hurt him?" Anfroi urgently asked.

"He was a thief who robbed travelers and hurt many of them. He is going to be executed, and you are going to watch." Roussel watched the boy's face pale as this revelation. "This is true justice, not what you did in the dungeons. Those people are there because I do not wish them to die. Your actions violated my will and hurt people that did not deserve it." With that, Roussel went silent and watched the execution proceed.

The prisoner was forced to his knees, the headsman took position, and the axe came down. The head was not severed in the first blow, so he gave two more blows before it was done. Anfroi's face had somehow gotten even paler, and he appeared ready to retch. "I have one more lesson for you, son. Follow me," Roussel said as he motioned for Anfroi to guide his horse after.

The two of them journeyed deep into the seedy side of the city until they arrived outside of a worn down church. It appeared abandoned and no one could be seen up or down the street. However, Roussel dismounted and pounded on the main door. A young woman appeared, dressed as a nun. Her habit was incredibly worn and covered in some sort of bodily fluid.

When she saw Roussel, her face betrayed her shock, and she struggled to find her words. "H-how may I help you, my lord?" she finally squeaked out.

"My son would like to meet one of your patients," Roussel replied. The nun started to protest, but Roussel silenced her and insisted. She left them in the front room and rushed into the back of the church.

"Father, what is going on here? I do not understand what I'm supposed to learn," Anfroi said. Roussel motioned for him to be quiet, so the two waited in silence for the nun's return. A few minutes later, she finally arrived, bearing a stretcher together with another nun. On the stretcher was one of the most hideous men Anfroi had ever seen. His face was misshapen and discolored, covered in some sort of rash. His nose was nearly flat, and he appeared to be in pain. The nuns set the man down and left the room.

"What is your name, man?" Roussel demanded. The man turned his head to look at Roussel and said, "I am Alexios. What could you want with a leper like me?"

"My son is learning a lesson in justice and suffering. I would like you to tell him of your life," Roussel said. He then turned to Anfroi, saying, "Go and sit with him. Listen closely for even the most humble man can teach you something." Anfroi hesitated, obviously terrified of sitting with the leper. His father's stern look galvanized him though, and he took a seat next to the man.

Anfroi saw the man's hands for the first time and was even more repulsed. The fingers were swollen and deformed, making the hand look more like a paw of some strange animal. "W-what happened to you?" Anfroi finally asked. The man shifted on his stretcher and began talking.

Alexios spoke of his time as a farmer, with his wife and five children. They had not made much money, but they were happy and had a good life. However, when he came down with leprosy, his family shunned him and the villagers drove him off the farm. He lived in the underworld of the city, shunned and scorned until he eventually discovered the church. From there he had helped the nuns until his leprosy became so bad he was largely helpless.

Anfroi was shaken by the man's story and brought to tears by his suffering. When the story had finally ended, Anfroi held Alexios' misshapen hand and thanked him for his story. With that, Roussel led his son back to the keep, content in the lesson he had learned. A few days later, several of Roussel's guards went by the church and made a sizable donation.

7t080rL.png

On the 20th, Lancelin, Roussel's second bastard son came of age and was assigned to Count Henry's care. Roussel was already busy taking care of Robert and Anfroi, so he left his trusted lieutenant to handle his third son. Henry appreciated the sign of trust and promised to take good care of the boy.

Meanwhile, Anfroi had clearly learned much from Alexios the leper. Theophano had given the boy a toy a week or two ago, and the charitable little rascal gave it away to the smith's son! He had mumbled something about how the smith's son did not have any toys, and that was not fair. Roussel was pleased the boy had taken the lesson to heart and was practicing it even when his father was not around.

SEz1jgI.png

Unfortunately, Roussel could not figure out where he had gone wrong with Robert. The boy was cruel and unkind to his peers, always getting into fights with them. Perhaps Simon had spoiled the boy...regardless, Roussel caught Robert fighting with another boy and broke it up. After yelling at Robert, he beat the boy to teach him a lesson, yelling about how Robert was soft and spoiled by his mother, Ermyntrude.

yfDYviT.png

The beating did not get through to Robert as he became jealous of Anfroi's relationship with their father. The unfairness of it all stewed in Robert's heart, turning him against the duke and his brother. The only lesson he had learned was to not show his feelings because he'd just be punished. Roussel had unknowingly set his eldest sons on diverging paths, sowing the seeds of future conflict...

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: