• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OMGZ, no wonder the Normans grow up the way they do ...
This thread is certainly not a template for good parenting. I don't recommend introducing your child to lepers or beating them when they misbehave. I mainly wanted to try and explain how hurting some prisoner in the dungeon can result in the brave trait!

Anfroi has the makings of a star: 11pt brave 6yo who adds charitable.
He certainly does! Roussel is actually a pretty good mentor as his main flaws are lustful and paranoid.

He seems destined to receive a bear hug from Robert that ends with a dagger embedded between his shoulder blades. Excellent Update.
:) I'm glad the bad seeds of their relationship are being made clear. It's bad enough Robert is older but a bastard, then add on that Anfroi is outshining him in their father's eyes...

• 1Like
Reactions:
This thread is certainly not a template for good parenting. I don't recommend introducing your child to lepers or beating them when they misbehave. I mainly wanted to try and explain how hurting some prisoner in the dungeon can result in the brave trait!

He certainly does! Roussel is actually a pretty good mentor as his main flaws are lustful and paranoid.

:) I'm glad the bad seeds of their relationship are being made clear. It's bad enough Robert is older but a bastard, then add on that Anfroi is outshining him in their father's eyes...
An typical example of Norman parenting!
Roussel also display signs of typical parenting from his parents ...
Not the first time a bastard becomes duke and king.

• 2Like
Reactions:
At least Roussel's success in parenting Anfroi but not Robert should appease Theophano. He is taking better care of their son after all!

• 1Like
Reactions:
An typical example of Norman parenting!
Roussel also display signs of typical parenting from his parents ...
Not the first time a bastard becomes duke and king.
He probably did have a bad upbringing, considering he spent most of his life as a wandering mercenary.

There is a possibility Robert could pull a repeat of William the Conqueror/Bastard, but he'll have to convince people he deserves to rule...

At least Roussel's success in parenting Anfroi but not Robert should appease Theophano. He is taking better care of their son after all!
There is a silver lining! :)

This plan might fall apart though when Ermyntrude gets upset about his treatment of her son. Roussel will probably then compensate by being awful to Anfroi if his track record is anything to go by.

Reactions:
Just found his namesake on youtube
That's a really good summary of his life. Nice find!

It shows how dynamic of a person he was, and how close he got to forming a stable realm. If luck had gone his way, he might have made it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 18: The Breakup (Aug. - Dec. 1082)
Chapter 18: The Breakup ( Aug. - Dec. 1082 )

In March, Roussel received word that the Seljuk Sultan Alp Arslan ‘the Glorious’ had declared war on Vahram for his remaining territories in Cilicia. Vahram’s army was totally destroyed in a battle that spring, leaving him totally defenseless as the Danishmends occupied his remaining keeps. By early August, he surrendered Cilicia and was left with an extremely isolated realm centered on the great city of Antioch.

PbPxfk2.png

Roussel had decided that several laws in the duchy needed to change before his sons could inherit. First, he wished to further centralize the realm so Anfroi could control more territory directly. Second, Roussel wanted to change the inheritance away from gavelkind. Unfortunately, several of Roussel’s vassals were totally opposed to these changes since they wanted to keep the realm as decentralized and weak as possible.

Most of them changed their minds when Roussel provided a not insignificant sum of money, but two remained unconvinced. Mayor Aubrey was open to negotiating, so Roussel began personally lobbying the man for his support. The second opponent, Mayor Philotheos, had been a vassal of Nikephoros and hated Roussel with a passion. Unfortunately for him, Roussel was not amused by his antics, and the Normans did not like him either.

Hzf370i.png

Good news arrived in early November as the Seljuk realm experienced a major revolt. A coalition of the Sultan’s vassals believed he was ruling as a tyrant and wished to depose him in favor of one of his weaker sons. Alp Arslan was one of the greatest military minds of the eastern world, so Roussel suspected he would win, but it might take some time.

L6DNSxD.png

Roussel was going over some papers in his chambers when Mechthild stormed in. Roussel initially smiled, expecting to take a break with his lover. However, her face was very red and looked as if she had been crying. As the duke rose and took her in his arms, she shoved him away.

“It is over, my lord! My husband confronted me about Herman, our son,” she cried out.

“Well, did he believe the boy is his?” Roussel demanded.

“He did, but I can not be with you anymore! He is still suspicious, and I do not want my dalliance to become known!” Mechthild cried. Roussel tried to console her, but she pushed him away and ran from the room, still greatly upset.

yWUFr7R.png

“Damn it all! That woman worries too much, and her accursed husband should mind his own business!” Roussel fumed. He picked up his chair and smashed it against the wall, venting his anger. A servant came running to investigate the commotion, and Roussel cursed the man for his trouble. That night, he proved unable to sleep and was consumed by worrying about his wife, lover, former lover, and numerous children. The romances were becoming too entangled, and Roussel found himself sneaking around his own keep to keep the peace.

P56W70S.png

Mayor Aubrey continued to reject Roussel’s attempts at flattery and persuasion, ignoring a letter that the duke had written to him. However, one of Roussel’s courtiers set the plan to kill Mayor Philotheos in motion by poisoning the mayor at a banquet. The plan went off without a hitch, leaving Roussel one step closer to consolidating his power over the duchy. However, nothing could lift the duke’s spirits, and he continued to be consumed by stress…

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Women! Roussel should really worry less about them than about his realm's situation. For now, with both the Byzantines and Seljuks in revolt, Charsianon is safe, but for how long will that last?

Consolidating the realm is fine and certainly useful, but he should really think about how he shall deal with the two powers surrounding his piece of Anatolia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Anfroi needs to grow up Fast! Stress is a Killer. What is Alp Arslan's senior holding, Iraq or Persia?
I always found it crazy how stressed is basically a death sentence in this game!

I believe Alp Arslan's senior holding is Persia.

Women! Roussel should really worry less about them than about his realm's situation. For now, with both the Byzantines and Seljuks in revolt, Charsianon is safe, but for how long will that last?

Consolidating the realm is fine and certainly useful, but he should really think about how he shall deal with the two powers surrounding his piece of Anatolia.
I believe Roussel is coming up with a mad plan, but we'll have to wait to see the details...

Is it too dangerous to backstap Alp right now?
Yes, he has almost 22k levies even with a good chunk of his realm in revolt against him, and I have maybe 5k plus 3-4k from Theophano's mother, my ally.

I'm mainly waiting for Alp Arslan to die so a less skilled ruler can take over, hopefully reducing their levies. Part of the problem is the Seljuks start with some event spawned troops, so more wars will wear them away, evening the gap somewhat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The seeds of discord begin to sprout from within the Seljuk Empire. Perhaps Roussel's successors might be able to break into Armenia during their lifetime? Even Cilicia might be a good avenue to expand, linking up with the Mediterranean. That is, if he can centralize the state and not have it collapse from within upon his passing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The seeds of discord begin to sprout from within the Seljuk Empire. Perhaps Roussel's successors might be able to break into Armenia during their lifetime? Even Cilicia might be a good avenue to expand, linking up with the Mediterranean. That is, if he can centralize the state and not have it collapse from within upon his passing.
That's what I'm hoping, but it usually takes the Seljuk's a while to implode. I've found that after Alp Arslan dies, the sultans usually get worse and worse, eventually culminating in a massive revolt. Otherwise, a Crusade could be useful to shatter them, but those haven't activated yet.

Reactions:
Attention, Attention All Readers. You are currently reading the Q2 2021 ACA CK2 Winner! Congratulations, @RustyHunter!
Thanks for the shoutout @Midnite Duke ! And thanks to all my readers that voted for this AAR! I was quite pleasantly surprised when I saw the results, and I really thank everyone for their support.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 19: A Family Dispute (May 1083 - Nov. 1084)
Chapter 19: A Family Dispute ( May 1083 - Nov. 1084 )

The rest of 1083 was quiet, but Roussel still continued to feel overwhelmed and worried about the future. This only got worse when the Greeks ended their revolt and stabilized under Emperor Michael VII. Most Greeks were unhappy with the man, and the only people that liked him were those that used him as a puppet or were swayed by his flattery. Fortunately, the man was cowardly and more likely to while away his time in the safety of his palace, not on campaign on the frontiers.

i9i86uA.png

Roussel continued to educate Robert and encouraged him in his aggression. The two’s only positive bonding was during military training, so Robert sought to please his father by becoming the strongest and meanest of the children. One of the cooks’ sons was the brunt of this, but Roussel was proud to see the boy could stand up for himself.

X9JY8xf.png

1084 opened much worse as Roussel fell ill. At first he thought it was a cold, but it suddenly worsened and left him bedridden for most of each day. His wife and lover both tended to him in his illness, studiously avoiding each other in a truce that had occurred years before. Roussel could not take his mind off the future and continued to work with Mayor Aubrey, the last obstacle in securing the duchy.

Aubrey paid the duke a personal visit and was greatly flattered by Roussel’s frank trust in him. The duke eventually extracted a guarantee that he would support a change in the duchy’s inheritance law, removing the final obstacle.

ZJGGVJW.png

Roussel continued to be overwhelmed by fever and symptoms of his possession flared up during this time. Talk of his madness spread throughout the court, especially as he continued to make transformational changes in the duchy. William Gifford, the court chaplain, was named count of Lykandos, elevating another Norman to the minor nobility. This decision was not controversial, but it paved the way for decisions that would divide the realm.

Vrj1Hsp.png

Next, Roussel named a Greek lowborn, Basileios, as commander. The man had fought on the wrong side of a Greek civil war and escaped to Roussel’s realm to sell his services once more. He had distinguished himself as something of a strategist, intriguing Roussel greatly.

7t0lz6J.png

In early July, Roussel had entered a deep fever, drenched in sweat with slightly unfocused eyes. He had sent a servant to gather the council in his chambers, and the group filed in one by one. Theophano also joined them in her role as regent and caretaker for Roussel. Most of them had looks of concern as they saw his poor condition but held their tongues.

“I have gathered you today for an important decision I have decided to make,” Roussel began. He was interrupted by a wracking cough and then continued, “My children by Ermyntrude are now legitimate children of my family.” Theophano’s face betrayed her shock and outrage as she began to protest, “You would let a bastard inherit over our son?! That is against the teachings of the church, is it not William?”

Court Chaplain William began to stutter out a response when Roussel spared him the embarrassment. “The good chaplain and I have already discussed this. Anfroi remains my one and only heir to all titles I hold upon my death. This just allows Robert, Lancelin, and Ferant to inherit my family name and the respect it deserves. This conversation was not for debate, it has already been decided.”

TvzMkYH.png

Theophano stormed from the room, outraged at her husband’s selfish actions. Anfroi was also upset because his half-siblings would now be rivals upon his father’s death, and Theophano had convinced him his father secretly planned to make Robert heir. Roussel’s illness passed a week later, but the consequences of his decisions appeared much more permanent. The duke had succeeded in isolating another of his sons, but perhaps the gulf between them was not irreparable?

90yNn6m.png

Notes: This inheritance change/legitimization was partly motivated by game considerations and partly by the story for this AAR. I want to have a large family since Roussel's dynasty starts with just him, and it seems dangerous to only have one legitimate son when he's had so many bastards. However, I needed to use elective monarchy to keep Anfroi the heir after doing this since I don't think Robert would get to jump ahead of a legitimate son.

For the AAR, I think it does a good job complicating relationships even further. Anfroi now hates his father for the threat to his inheritance while Roussel's marriage is back in the toilet. I hope it sets up some interesting conflicts in the next generation of the realm, so I hope no one minds my use of the slightly gamey elective

monarchy. In the future, I intend to resist my urges to nominate the best child and instead try to keep a realistic line of succession.

I'd also like to mention, there should be one more narrative update to set up the foreign situation, and then a major war!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The count looks like a reserve Santa from Byzantium, in other words a wolf in sheep cloth.

ps. why is the wives brother in jail? and in whose?

• 3Like
Reactions:
The count looks like a reserve Santa from Byzantium, in other words a wolf in sheep cloth.
The beard really completes it! You're right to be cautious though, he is fairly dangerous

ps. why is the wives brother in jail? and in whose?
Good eye on catching that! It will become very important in the future. He used to be doux of Dyrrachion but had his title usurped by a vassal. When the vassal won and became doux, he imprisoned Theophano's brother. He has not felt like releasing her brother which will eventually be a problem...

The stats on the Basileus! The last time that I saw anything like that, it was an imbecile who had mastered one area. The Basileus has a S1 education and no points in education!
He's not quite that bad, but only just! He has actually grown an impressive amount since we last saw him 12 years ago! He would make an interesting AAR in his own right as this is his second time as Basileus.

iN7EBsq.png

Yes it makes Roussel look smart :)
It's like running from a bear, you just have to be faster than your friends :)

Reactions: