Augustus - Teaser #7 - 31st of July 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pigs in Space - a Paradox game.

I'm going with a Rome - or possibly classical world - game, partly because I want Paradox to do an ancient world/Rome game (and not a space one), and partly because I think the hints are pointing that way. Here's my take:

1. This will be our first new major IP released since the original Crusader Kings over 10 years ago.

EU:Rome was not technically 'major IP', since, as I understand it (I never played it), it was a spin-off of the Europa Universalis IP. I don't think Paradox has any major IP focused on Rome, so it would fit the bill.

2.Seven and Three are important numbers.

Seven hills of Rome, three members of the Triumvirate? Fall of the Roman Republic, perhaps?

3. There will be no stabbing of pigs.

This could be interpreted as being either for or against. Obviously it's a reference to Rome: Total War. Some people assume that, because there won't be stabbing of pigs, this means it isn't a Roman game at all, but that isn't necessarily true. It might just mean that it's a Roman game that won't be as silly as Creative Assembly's.

4. Terrain truly matters in this game.

Some sort of foray into tactical battles? Probably not; it probably does denote some sort of very heavy focus on military strategy, though. How would this fit with a space game? Is the 'terrain' that matters a reference to planets? Perhaps, though it would be a more apt description if we were talking about Roman legions marching around.

5. Game Director is Henrik Fåhraeus, 15 year industry veteran, lead designer behind the Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron series.

This isn't too helpful; I'm sure he's pretty talented and could work on any range of games. Still, note the mention of CK and HOI - is this a hint that we're going to get a combination of character focus and massive strategic warfare? Roman civil wars, anyone? Hmm?

6. Elections and Technological Development are important parts of the game.

Yeah, this screams Roman history to me. Possibly classical history more generally.

7. This is a project we've always dreamt about doing, something all of PI have been involved in, not just the PDS developers.

Something all of Paradox have been involved in? Does that mean that all of Paradox have already contributed to this game? Or does it mean that all of Paradox have worked on the sorts of gameplay elements that we're going to see in the game? Like a mixture of CK's character focus and HOI's total war focus, perhaps along with EU's colonisation? Such as we might see in a game about the ancient world and the Roman Empire?

No hints clearly rule out a Rome/Classical Antiquity game so far, and I think it and a space game are the biggest contenders. However, I think the case for a space game is stronger, beecause of the trademarks, because of the interest from various PI/PDS employees in space games (try to dig up quotes of them saying they'd love to make another Rome game, though, maybe there's more?), and the constant references to NOT making Rome II (including hint 3).

Paradox has a way to make it: POPs. We need POPs. They're also good for elections indeed.

Yes, POPs can into space. That'd be awesome and perfect!

Yeah, that's simply speculation. There's no reason to believe a unified government would erase cultural differences at all. Some governments might, others might not. In any case, as far as humans are concerned, there are always people who do not want to be like others, so I have a hard time believing that.

It is absolutely speculation but so is the idea that cultural differences will keep existing. Assuming that a status quo will continue is just as much speculation as assuming that things will change.

I was also not clear in my statement I realize. I don't think a unified government will erase cultural differences, I think the speed and easyness of sharing information does (and is allready doing). Not having a unified government is basically the biggest factor in keeping that from happening completely.

The way entertainment from the US is used world wide, the way western business suits are the standard all over the world, the way English is spoken as a second language by more and more people. I just seeing it happening man.

But as you said, still speculation.

Im not sure how would space game work with crusader kings II mechanics.. I kind of imagine it being more of Europa Universalis space empire building game paired with victoria II mechanics (somehow), not CKII role play dynasty game. Playing as character (person) in space game just doesn't work.

Paradox has a way to make it: POPs. We need POPs. They're also good for elections indeed.

Yeah I'm totally more on board for a V2 space GSG than a CK2 space GSG. There's nothing like the POP system to make you feel the scope of your nation. Pdox has the ability to model billions of people in real time.

Eh, excuse me...

How can it possibly be a SPACE GAME ??

THINK

Homeworld... Galactic Civilisations II & III.... Master of Orion II and III coming shortly... etc

Would need to be 4D ... ??

Are you seriously telling me that Paradox can do a 4D game BETTER than the above list.

ye cannae do a space game on a wee map... like RISK!

... come on... !!!!

Im not sure how would space game work with crusader kings II mechanics.. I kind of imagine it being more of Europa Universalis space empire building game paired with victoria II mechanics (somehow), not CKII role play dynasty game. Playing as character (person) in space game just doesn't work.

Emperor of the Fading Suns did it 20 years ago.

Okay, I'm calling it. It's a grand strategy game in space (not a space 4x). My take on the hints:

I think you are completely right. And I like it.

what about near space. only the solar system. Terrain would fit the different known planets. and because earth is still in the picture you can still use earth nations as playable groups. this would eliminate aliens from the picture but it would be the age of discovery in space.

Eh, excuse me...

How can it possibly be a SPACE GAME ??

THINK

Homeworld... Galactic Civilisations II & III.... Master of Orion II and III coming shortly... etc

Would need to be 4D ... ??

Are you seriously telling me that Paradox can do a 4D game BETTER than the above list.

ye cannae do a space game on a wee map... like RISK!

... come on... !!!!

Of course they can do a grand strategy space game better than the rest. Their other games are already superior to your list.

I don't necessarily agree. In a space setting where traveling from star system to star system is a pretty big hassle and sharing information between planets also will be severely limited it's not to farfetched that a large empire will have a structure that looks quit feudal.

I don't necessarily agree. In a space setting where traveling from star system to star system is a pretty big hassle and sharing information between planets also will be severely limited it's not to farfetched that a large empire will have a structure that looks quit feudal.
As long as I get to purge heretics.

POPs in a space game? Okay... how many different pops would the earth alone need? :p

As far as POP types go? Probably not that many. I mean, V2 uses the same representation for fishermen and lumberjacks, tailors and tank-makers, etc. Just astract jobs into the appropriate representations.

And if this hypothetical game were to have aliens...the POP system would really set it apart. Space games tend to put brick walls between "factions" and don't model cosmopolitan worlds like Coruscant well.

As far as POP types go? Probably not that many. I mean, V2 uses the same representation for fishermen and lumberjacks, tailors and tank-makers, etc. Just astract jobs into the appropriate representations.

And if this hypothetical game were to have aliens...the POP system would really set it apart. Space games tend to put brick walls between "factions" and don't model cosmopolitan worlds like Coruscant well.

If POPs include culture and religion again... We need many POPs :p I personally hope it's not one culture per planet... That's allways annoying in space games. It don't make much sense to have such homogenious planets...

POPs in a space game? Okay... how many different pops would the earth alone need? :p

I'm thinking something more streamlined, in the way it was implemented on Rome. Something like Species, Social Status and Faction, so to say.

Sounds like Space, Migrational Era is less likely. Stellaris it seems to be.

Sad, I really had hoped for Antiquity/Migrational Era... At least it means I won't be as interested in this and can save me money. :p

Not sure I'm gonna write off a space game immediatly, would have to see what they had planned for it. That said, I'd probably wait for a sale, would much rather have an ancient/classical era game :I

In answer to Raph's excellent post from page 1 of this thread:

I have space games here on my hard drive. I've tried to play them, but simply cannot get into it at all.

I wouldn't buy a space game from Paradox. Come to think of it, I DID, Sword of the Stars... eek!

I think FOR ME, if Paradox announce a space game next week, I'll go off in the the desert for 40 days to contemplate LIFE and how cruel it is... WHY ME!

lol