• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, I thought PDS was a game. I meant integrating a more standard RTS, with controlling units and base building.

Well all Paradox Grand Strategy games are RTS's, remember, RTS just means it's a strategy game done in real time. So a Game like Civilization counts a Turn Based Strategy (TBS) while Europa Universalis 3 is an Real Time Strategy (RTS).

Well all Paradox Grand Strategy games are RTS's, remember, RTS just means it's a strategy game done in real time. So a Game like Civilization counts a Turn Based Strategy (TBS) while Europa Universalis 3 is an Real Time Strategy (RTS).

Its allways been a bit back and forth on what category our games should fall in, it is real time strategy yes but that sometimes confuse reviewers who for example compare our unitmanagement to the very similar(?) RTS:s Company of Heroes :p. Perhaps Real Time Grand Strategy (RTGS) since we can hardly convince the rest of the world to start calling Startcraft a Real Time Tactics game instead :)

Its allways been a bit back and forth on what category our games should fall in, it is real time strategy yes but that sometimes confuse reviewers who for example compare our unitmanagement to the very similar(?) RTS:s Company of Heroes :p. Perhaps Real Time Grand Strategy (RTGS) since we can hardly convince the rest of the world to start calling Startcraft a Real Time Tactics game instead :)

The category that is often used is Paradox games. Perhaps if other companies develop something similar we can tell if it is a general label now.

Don't you think you are being bit too generous with calling it even Real Time Tactics? I mean Total War is mix of Turn Based (Grand) Strategy and Real Time Tactics. I would call StarCraft - a Micromanagement Nightmare or simply Clickfest. Wouldn't you agree?

This (warning - really unorthodox usage of strategy in this article) and this is what i mean. Maybe some Tactical thinking is a plus but apparently it's the fast fingers that bring the championship home.

Continuous time, not real time, surely? Or if I started a game of EUIII today I'd finish it in AD 2433...
I'd bet invading an actual alien planet would take a bit longer than it does in StarCraft, too.

Oh, I thought PDS was a game. I meant integrating a more standard RTS, with controlling units and base building.

Speaking personally here you run the danger of trying to much and pleasing no one. You end up with a game that is not enough of an RTS to please RTS fans but loosing some of the elements of our current formula that people like. So I am personally a skeptic of such a route for game development.

I don't worry to much with basics like that, I just have RTS and TBS categorization and then I look deeper into the ones I find interesting. It's easier and always makes me surprised when I see something different.

2 questions:

1. Generally speaking, how much of your sales come from different parts of the world? Are they most popular in Europe? Or in America? Do you get substantial numbers of sales from China, Korea or Japan? Are your games even localised for asian languages?

2. Have you ever considered making a game based on the well known Chinese epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms, given that, along with the Sengoku Jidai, it's probably been one of the most used asian setting for strategy games?

At the height of their respective beauties, who do you think was better looking, Debbie Harry or Belinda Carlisle?

Hm, I gotta say Belinda Carlisle.

2 questions:

1. Generally speaking, how much of your sales come from different parts of the world? Are they most popular in Europe? Or in America? Do you get substantial numbers of sales from China, Korea or Japan? Are your games even localised for asian languages?

2. Have you ever considered making a game based on the well known Chinese epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms, given that, along with the Sengoku Jidai, it's probably been one of the most used asian setting for strategy games?

1. Most in the USA, after that the bigger countries in EU, like Germany usually comes high up. I'm not sure how it looks in Asia since we have a partner (Cyberfront) there who handles everything for us, localization, sales and all.

2. I'm not sure. I have not heard about it, but there are a lot of game discussions in the pub from time to time, and I'm not always there. :)