• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XVIII: The Conclave of 1860
  • WzsJ3Ljl.png

Innocent XIV Exit

The pontificate of Innocent XIV can be considered a successful one in the grand scheme of things but the reader should keep in mind that, despite the modern view of Mastai Ferretti as the first true Italian pope, there were many junctures at which things could have ended very differently. His most vaunted achievement, the conquest of Veneto, was a risky venture from the start and was obtained mostly due to Napoleon III’s desire to remove a rival great power from the region. Venice once more could have caused his downfall if a mass popular rebellion had broken out but here the pope showed his main strength. Though not a reformer by nature, he was capable of bending when necessary to avoid the breakup of the Papal States and, in so doing, instituted the foundations of our modern educational system which holds him in such high regard.
    On the economic front, we have seen that Cappellini instituted several reforms that finally managed to give life to an industry that had long been slumbering due to the extremely limited amount of funds it was granted. Though the Latin Monetary Union would be chipped away at in the following decades, the institution had the double advantage of tying the Papacy with the French Empire, guaranteeing a near-permanent alliance, and incentivizing investments for the newborn Roman industry.
    The global growth of the Papal States was commented upon by many contemporaries and it seems that serious thought was given to considering the Papal States as one of the Great Powers of the world. This did not materialize in the end since the wars in Germany kept the international community busy for a time but can still be seen as a testament to Innocent XIV’s unique combination of luck and skill.
    The pope's death caught many by surprise since he was still relatively young and was expected to survive perhaps another decade. This left several of the cardinals in the unusual situation of not having planned for the succession and lead to one of the most sedate yet anxious conclaves ever recorded.

fnc8lqrl.jpg

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Libero Cappellini

Wednesday 25th of July 1860

Nearly every ballot counted distressed me today. Cardinal Cangiano has almost secured the required majority and is missing just a couple of votes. Though his opinions have softened since we first met, I fear that his selection would be a return to reactionary Gregorys and Urbans, far from the right direction for the Church. I had hoped that Cardinal Lisi would have been a good liberal option but he only got a minimal amount of votes. The worst element, however, was the number of preferences that I received. I am currently the runner-up in the election and the most viable progressive alternative to Cangiano.
    I'm at a loss as to what I should hope for. My elevation would spare the Church from another round of reaction but it would forever trap me in a duty that I do not desire. I cannot even refuse this burden as I would be throwing away the trust that so many people have placed in me. I know that this matter is out of my hands and I will not change the Lord's mind with my petulance but I can do nothing if not pray. O Lord, I am not worthy to receive this heavy honor but only say the word and I will obey.

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Diomede Cangiano

Thursday 26th of July 1860

This conclave is a pendulum between hope and disappointment. I have swung from excitement at the possibility that I might be elected to disappointment when I saw my votes decline to hope in my belief that Libero would be a competent leader even if I do not agree with him in every matter.
    I weigh my choices with every moment and wonder if I should fight for the position or if I should allow the election to take its course without my interference. A struggle would certainly satisfy my vanity, yesterday I went so far as to compare the merits of different pontifical names for myself, but I question my suitability as a candidate. Libero has organized the finances of the state for almost a decade while I only have minor experience in regional government.
    On the other hand, I need to also consider that this is probably my last opportunity to become Pope and I must think about the legacy I will leave behind. Granted, I am a good archbishop but is that all I can aspire to be? Nobody ever believed I would get to this point yet here I am a hair's breadth away from a place in the history books. Do I really belong in the hallowed company of the successors of Peter? So many questions and voting already resumes in the morning.
    I pray that divine inspiration will strike me in my sleep and finally push me to one destiny or the other.

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Annibale Lisi

Friday 27th of July 1860

For the last day, I have been oscillating between numbness and terrified excitement as Cappellini has caught up to and surpassed Cardinal Cangiano by the skin of his teeth. Can I really hope for a Pope who does not see reform as a necessary evil but rather an end in itself? I have gathered up votes for Libero at each recess and I feel that the tide is turning but I dare not speak out loud for fear of breaking some spell.
    Despite all my perturbation, neither of the candidates seem as preoccupied as me. They are both rapt in thought with Cangiano making only timid attempts to talk to other cardinals and Libero filling out his ballot at a glacial pace. Do they not understand the influence that they are grazing with their fingers like Adam with God? I know that the cardinals would never accept me as Pope but, if I were in their place, I would be doing everything in my power to secure my position. However, I don't live in such a world and I must work just as hard to have Libero as Pope, if for nothing else than to push him towards the changes I know he aspires to.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Callixtus IV
  • Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: habemus Papam! Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum Liberum Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Cappellini, qui sibi nomen imposuit Callixtum Quartum

Chapter XIX: Go South Young Cardinal
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Giulio Felicetti

Saturday 17th of October 1863

Once again we are victorious! We have managed to chase the Sicilians back to the fortresses around Ancona, and Perugia is saved from a siege. Concurrently, General Borbone delle Due Sicilie has shown that he can be trusted in a fight against his erstwhile compatriots.
    I think that the old man has a certain amount of innate skill in war, especially in the pursuit of fleeing enemies, but he lacks the proper caution that is needed in most circumstances. For example, last week, as we headed towards Perugia, he saw a scouting party by the banks of the Trasimene and determined to chase after them before they could notify the rest of their army. That would be a fair enough decision but what he did not notice, and soon became apparent, is that this party was en route to their encampment and was already within sight of it. By the time our cuirassiers reached their intended targets, they were within range of a copious amount of infantry groups which wreaked havoc among the cavalrymen and killed several hundred of them. To avoid a complete massacre, I had to order our artillery to fire on the shore of the lake to interrupt the charge that the Sicilians were preparing and allow for our men to return to our main body. This is not to say that the general is incompetent. While certainly no Hannibal, he later managed to competently use our advantages against the enemy and achieve victory at a limited cost.
    Our next move is clear at the moment, we are to ensure that no foes lie in hiding in the mountains and, once we have a safe path, we should head to Ancona and free the city from its occupiers. On the other hand, general Lanza of the Two Sicilies, the rival we have chased this month, seems to have gotten the message and has fled to Aquila where it seems that he wants to join up with the force that has just captured Ancona. This does provide us with the opportunity to set a trap for them once they decide to counterattack but I need to ask Borbone if he has some relevant experience from his service in Greece.
    It is funny to think that this is the same man I read about in the newspapers back in Milan and it is interesting to find which details were real and which were added through Austrian censorship. The Lord has his methods to weave the different threads of our life into a coherent tapestry and I never cease to be amazed at the things He pulls from my past. I will take the opportunity for a small visit to Assisi on our way East and pray at the tomb of Saint Francis; though I see victory within our grasp, I am sure that additional divine help will not do us harm.

ht2bMzul.jpg

Wednesday 11th of November 1863
    I should strive to remember from now on that leading from the front is dangerous and gunpowder does not much allow for heroics as I had hoped. The damnable Sicilians almost caught us off guard for the beginning of the battle but my last-minute insistence on sending out our cuirassiers gave us enough warning to properly form battle lines in a setup that was favorable to us. This time, the enemy decided to attempt to dislodge us from our position with a tremendous barrage of cannon fire that did little damage overall but forced us to stay hidden until dusk since our own artillery is less than one-tenth of theirs. Before night could fall, Borbone proposed that we attack enemy lines just as our opponents were preparing to move to a more defensible position. We quickly devised an attack plan and, before the opportune window passed, we commanded a full frontal assault that the Sicilians were not prepared to withstand.
    When I saw the old general charge personally into battle alongside the cavalry, I would not allow myself to be left behind as a common camp follower and I threw myself into the fray as well. The charge filled me with fear and delight in equal measure and I sent out a prayer to the Virgin Mary to grant us victory in battle, the wind making my eyes water throughout the ride. I am convinced that this prayer is what spared me when a cannonade in my direction sent shrapnel flying through my position and killed several of my men where they stood. I, on the other hand, was blessed with a mere wound to the thigh and a dead horse beside which I lay with a pistol tight in my hand and terrible anticipation about the result of the battle. Thankfully Borbone came through with his plan and the assault was a rousing success, stopping the Sicilians from breaking our lines and relieving the siege of Ancona. Though I thought the general to be a daft old man, his performance today has raised him up considerably in my esteem, I should only remember to not let my pride get the better of me in the future and ensure my safety before risking actions like those of today. The doctors say that the wound is not serious and the leg will heal normally enough but I will be forced to rest for a while before I can mount a horse again.
    I have insisted that I nonetheless be carried with the army as we chase our defeated foes back through the Appennines and later on to Naples. It weighs on me that Ancona will remain out of our hands but I recognize that the enemy capital is what will end this war and I am not about to let the French be first to the prize.

Sunday 14th of February 1864

One more day and we will be in sight Naples, I have already prepared my sermon for the Cathedral of San Gennaro when we finally enter the city and I can feel that the war is over in practice if not in form. Though the capital itself is quite lightly defended, I would prefer to first capture the fortress of Capua to avoid unnecessary risks in our moment of victory. We haven't seen any Sicilian soldiers since last month's battles near Formia and now the French have garrisons in Gaeta and Aquila which ensures safety for the core Papal territories. I have also heard that the French have landed in Sicily and are quite thoroughly occupying every corner of the island which means that either King Francesco is hiding a large army in the Apulian countryside or we have nothing left to fear.
    In the meantime, I have just gotten news that, while we fought and bled for months to secure Apulia, the Savoyards have managed to absorb Tuscany without firing a single shot. If the accounts I have read are to be believed, Piedmontese agents sparked riots in Florence which ended with the deposition of the grand duke and the establishment of a transitional government whose first action was to have a plebiscite for annexation to Sardinia-Piedmont. Of course, the vote succeeded with a ninety-five percent approval and such a large number has seemed to be deeply suspicious to many, but the Savoyard army moved into the Grand Duchy before the news could spread and the deed was done.

z5FLXWal.png

I am a little concerned that the Pope did not express condemnation of this occurrence and this adds to the perplexities I have about his governance. News about violence in Greece comes in every other month and Callixtus seems to think that these thugs will be placated by concessions but history has shown us time and time again that this approach only causes the rebels to ask for more and more. When I come back to Rome and present the pope with the Sicilian standard from Naples, I will have to take the opportunity to talk to him about these issues that have been worrying me.
    For now, I will focus on the task at hand and ask Borbone to take on Capua while I keep an eye on Naples to avoid any unwelcome surprises. And besides that, tonight I will give thanks to the Blessed Virgin and continue to make preparations for my mass of thanksgiving once we have ended the war.

Chapter XX: Where is Victory?
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Diomede Cangiano

Monday 21st of March 1864
    My arrival in Paris has exceeded expectations as the Emperor himself came to greet me with a lavish honor guard. I am being housed in a luxurious palace along the Seine and have been told that the Sicilians have been lodged not far away. I need to spend some time preparing my remarks for the annexation of Puglia though I am surprised that the Emperor did not ask for an audience ahead of the conference to coordinate our actions. I imagine it is something to do with it being his city and the need to hold up a certain appearance to his people. In any case, I will attempt to talk with him before the main discussion takes place.
    I must say that I am a little nervous at my role in this historic treaty but my heart swells with pride whenever I remember that the Pope placed his trust in me out of all his servants to obtain the best definition of Puglia that I can. I sincerely hope that my abilities will be up to the task but I believe that we are in a good enough position to ensure a smooth negotiation. I will spend my first night here in prayer and ask the Lord to guide my words and ensure that the trust placed in me was not in vain.

Tuesday 22nd of March 1864
    I have been lured into a despicable trap and the French have me by the throat. This morning I was corralled to the place of our meeting together with the Sicilian ambassador as if I were on the same side. I did not have the opportunity to talk to Bonaparte prior to the session and was left completely in the dark as to his intentions.
    When the Emperor finally deigned to show up, he began to talk about his plans for the independence of the island of Sicily as the sole condition to be placed upon the losing side. I could not hear the next words he said as the blood pounding in my ears and the heat taking over my face washed out any further context. I could not believe that this pallid imitation of a despicable man would dare deprive the Church, which he claims to protect, of the spoils it has earned with the blood of its soldiers.
    I asked Bonaparte why he thought that this would be a good solution and how the Papal States would be repaid for the deaths of its citizens. He had the gall to reply that the Papal States had lost merely a few men and that, since French forces had occupied the island and Puglia still remained in Duosicilian hands, Sicily should be the territory discussed in the treaty. If that is the case, I replied, then surely it would take at most a couple more months to put Puglia on the table as was agreed before the war was even declared. He simply said that, since the French army is the only one with enough men for an occupation, he did not intend to risk more lives on his side for little personal gain. I could not think of a rebuttal at that time because the words stuck in my throat since I could scarcely believe that a ruler would value expediency over the honor and goodwill of those that he calls his allies.
    Even in this behavior, Bonaparte had concealed his most refined betrayal until the end of the day. As the meeting ended, he announced that Sicily would have to be constituted as a kingdom to ensure its stability and that he had chosen his cousin Prince Napoleon-Jerome to take up that mantle. I was left staring into space at the enormity of this revelation. That a single Bonaparte may sit on the throne in France can be accepted by pinching one's nose but a return to Bonapartes on the other thrones of Europe brings back distasteful memories for all. If that were not enough, this new king is married to a Savoyard princess and adds yet more isolation and danger for the Papal States against the rising tide of Sardinia Piedmont who I am sure is in private talks with Bonaparte to expand their domain.
    By the time I heaved myself out of the chair, I was the last person remaining in the room and could think of nothing else but to send an urgent message to Callixtus asking him for any scrap of guidance he might have. I do not know if I will manage to receive a reply in time but I pray that the Pope will provide me with a tool to unravel this conspiracy.

Ru5WbFMl.jpg

Friday 25th of March 1864
    I am pleased that I managed to get a reply from Callixtus before the situation got too far out of hand but that is the most positive thing I can say about my current situation. The proposed solution is shaky at best but I understand that it is as much as can be hoped for in the present circumstances. The first condition for our acceptance requires that the Kingdom of Sicily sign a defensive and offensive alliance with the Papal States to ensure Italian stability and guarantee our continued access to the Mediterranean. It was not a great feat to get Napoleon and Plon Plon to accept this since I am sure that they also do not want to push the balance of Italy too far and there is no way to use this against them.
    The real sticking point was the signature of a document that would render Sicily forever separate from Sardinia-Piedmont with France, the Papal States, and Two Sicilies acting as guarantors of that freedom. This did not sit well with the new King and his Piedmontese sympathies, firstly for the limitation of his authority in foreign diplomacy and secondly because he would not accept a nation with claims on his kingdom to be indicated as its defender. It was here that the elderly Prince of Cassaro finally made his presence relevant and supported my proposal. He noted that the balance of power in Italy cannot survive with the possibility of the Savoyards taking control of both ends of the peninsula and that the Neapolitan court may have many flaws but lack of honor is not one of them. If the Kingdom of Sicily wishes to be an equal participant in Italian politics, it should be free from the influence of those who would be its hegemon and stand proudly on its own merits.
    So, buoyed by this support, I managed to reclaim a small amount of dignity in this shameful victory. The day was long and the discussions difficult but, in the end, the Emperor caved under the pressure and accepted the treaty with hardly any serious modifications.
    I wrote a message to Callixtus for his final approval and we will have a final signing ceremony in a few days. I worry about his judgment of my performance but I'm sure he understands the difficult situation I was in and will judge this small victory in my favor.

Monday 28th of March 1864

The ink is dry, the seals have been placed and Sicily returns to the world once more. One really must wonder how many Sicilies a single peninsula can hold, maybe Sardinia and Corsica should be renamed as well but I mustn't give Napoleon any ideas.
    I jest. If nothing else to cleanse my palate from the humiliation that was forced upon us and the future ahead. I hoped that I might return to serve Callixtus face to face back in Rome but he has told me that I will still be needed in France for some time. The Pope does not trust the emperor for obvious reasons and wishes me to keep an eye on the situation, especially because of the saber-rattling aimed at and coming from the new German Confederation.
    Bonapartes and German unions, have we learned nothing from the last fifty years? I will have to do my best to observe and stabilize the situation from my position, I can feel that the future of the Papal States depends on it. Callixtus has not told me his plans but I know that something big is in the air and I understand the enormity of the trust that is once again being placed in me. Whatever it takes, I will make sure that France remains firmly on our side.

d1kXphtl.png

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXI: Of Conures and Cholera
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Patrizio Formica

h9RbHdUl.jpg

Wednesday 4th of December 1867
    It's a bit of a disappointing week so far. Just like the last one, I suppose, but I hoped to gather more interesting material for my report to the Pope. I'm convinced he's not all that bothered about my work but it's always good to have something impressive to show for one's employment.
    I'm not really sure who else I could write to now since I've run out of most of the people I can think of in the medical field. I suppose I could investigate if any of the other cardinals have connections in that direction but I always feel as if they have no interest in giving aid to their new brother.
    I could pad out my report with some of the incidental information I received, there's that Bohemian monk and his talk concerning pea breeding which is better than nothing. The news was at least marginally more thought-provoking for me since it made me wonder if something similar happens with conures though extending the theory sounds like an intricate problem. I'm pretty confident that a few of the younger birds are on the cusp of maturity so it might be a fun experiment to take precise numerical notes in the next mating season.
    But I have skirted around the issue of collecting proper medical information for the pope. I'll give myself a little respite for the rest of the week and on Monday I'll ask a few of the other junior cardinals for any contacts they may have.
    God knows how much I hate having to deal with this sort of politicking.

Friday 4th of December 1868
    The documents have been signed and sent, which allows me to celebrate a well-deserved Christmas rest. This whole ordeal with the vaccinations turned out to be a thundering nuisance but I'm certain that Callixtus will recognize it as the firm progress that I know it to be. I am still confused by the exact principles behind this method but my agents have guaranteed that the procedure is sound and was even used by Pope Innocent XIV back when he was a cardinal. The idea of the long-term effects that this might have on the natural order made me uneasy but I was assured that a similar measure has been implemented in England for the better part of a decade and there appear to be no ill effects. This convinced me enough that I decided to write up a little law that mandates a smallpox vaccine for every inhabitant of the Papal States with particular attention to newborn children. Of course, in the spirit of Callixtus' reforms, the treatment will be available to all citizens free of charge.
    It will take a little bit to have the superstitious peasantry accept the new state of affairs and I understand the apprehension that they might feel since I am still squeamish about it even though I have the privilege of being advised by the best medical minds of the States. I should have doctors dispatched to the areas that are expected to be most resistant and have them present the benefits of the treatment, maybe even perform it in public on themselves to ensure that there is no doubt in relation to the goodness of vaccination.
    Besides all this work, I am excited for the first meeting of the Aviary Association that I managed to form with a few fellow cardinals. I'm excited to present the results of my last breeding seasons where the numbers seem to match the predictions I found last year. A few cases still seem to be off but it's good to have a rule of thumb I can use to find new or rare morphologies. And now, with the new generations coming of age, I am curious to see what their breeding will bring and the frequency at which the future chicks will resemble their grandparents. I'll have to think of something good for the inaugural speech, I don't want to spoil the results but I will find a way to showcase my findings in an enticing enough manner.

Pw71Lk7l.jpg

Saturday 3rd of April 1869
    Work is plodding along nicely and I've even managed to complete a new ordinance. It's not too impressive but I have received assurances that it will save almost as many lives as the vaccinations we introduced. So from now on, doctors and nurses will be required to wash not just their instruments but also their hands before they deal with patients. Several of the men I spoke to made a big fuss about the indignity of being considered unclean but by the time I interacted with a few of them I had a well-practiced response to get rid of them. This development comes on the heels of a philosophical principle that I really worked hard to comprehend. Though it may sound like the ravings of a paranoid madman, it appears that diseases and other such ills are caused by invisible living beings that can be transmitted to people through several means of contagion.
    I was upset to discover that this was known to a number of professionals for quite some time but many doctors vehemently resisted these advances, instead sticking to the old principle of miasma. I am told that a Tuscan man, Filippo Pacini, discovered the animalcula which cause cholera by the effect of their nefarious influence. I have sent him a request to leave the Kingdom of Sardinia and come to Rome in exchange for a leading position in our medical system. I can hardly imagine what a gut-punch it must have been for him to make so great a discovery and nonetheless remain ignored due to the reticence to accept change. If there is one thing that the Vatican Council is making clear it's that there is no space left for the detritus of history but we should push forward into the future. Of course, I do not mean that we should abandon all tradition, especially when it comes to matters of faith, but there is no harm in the abandonment of superstitious elements that the artists are so fond of idolizing.
    In any case, I have already received a letter from Pacini in which he accepts his appointment and promises to emigrate within a couple of months and lend his skills to our benefit. I suppose I will have to provide a suitable laboratory for him but I am not quite sure what is the best way to achieve this. I could send some circumspect letters around to the doctors we already employ and ask them, under the pretense of ensuring the quality of their facilities, what is the setup of their own laboratories. Once I have that information, I can make an order for whatever exaggerated quality of equipment they pretend to have.
    Yes, that should work fine. Once all of that is done, I only need to write up a report for Callixtus so he can see how well everything has progressed while he's at work in the Council. I expect that he'll appreciate that.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXII: The First Vatican Council
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Annibale Lisi

t4nie80l.jpg

Wednesday 6th of January 1869
    Callixtus, bishop, servant of the servants of God, with the approval of the sacred assembly has inaugurated the first session of the Vatican Council. It has taken many months of planning and many long nights of intense discussion with the Pope but everything is finally in place. Bishops from around the civilized world have gathered in St. Peter's Basilica to drag the Church kicking and screaming into modernity. I am concerned about the vast accumulation of privilege in these halls and I fear that many of these prelates will stand against the introduction of fresh air to these musty old halls but I must remember that I have the full authority of the Pope on my side. Though he is of timid character, I have seen his dedication to the cause in his recent reforms and I know that he only needs a subtle push to let his true colors shine through.
    The first few sessions of the council will not be particularly interesting since they will deal with the confirmation of matters that have been well established in the past nineteen ecumenical councils and I doubt that there will be any significant objections to the Nicene Creed. The hard part will come in a few months but for now, I must get to know every one of the bishops here assembled and find how we can convince them to see reason. Lord give me strength and inspire your servants to do your will.

Sunday 28th of March 1869
    I feel drained today and only wish to take myself to bed, but I must venture on and record the culmination of this month's proceedings. Though the official declaration describes all of the resolutions in detail, it never shows the amount of work that goes into every single word. Despite or maybe because of this colossal effort, I am fully satisfied by the final version of the Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Faith.
    I will now go through its different sections and jot down any comments I consider important to remember for the duration of the council or even later if some bishops decide to renege on their oaths.
    The document begins by repeating the condemnation that the fathers of Trent placed upon the heresies that allow religious questions to be a matter for the judgment of each individual. I remember that quips were thrown around to the effect that since Christ himself designated us as the rock upon which his Church is built, it is fair to admit that we have greater authority than schismatics who consider mythomaniacs and tax-evading charlatans as prophets and theologians.
    This levity was followed by a blanket condemnation of the doctrines of pantheism, materialism, and atheism. Here I felt that some of the attendees went a little overboard with their connections (a fact that will become obvious later on) and conflated these heresies with many of the developments of modernity such as the sciences and, though they dared not say so explicitly, the social reforms that Callixtus has promulgated so diligently. I could not let the discussion continue after such an attack and I spent a good while breaking down these accusations and repeating that we cannot abandon ideas that help us do the Lord's work simply because they might be also used by heretics, lest we also declare food and water to be anathema. My retorts knocked the opposing faction off their balance and the Pope echoed my thoughts before providing a gentle encouragement to continue on.
    The rest of the week dealt with our declaration of belief in Almighty God in all of His glory, the truth of His supernatural revelation as contained in written books and unwritten traditions passed on by the apostles inspired by Christ or the Holy Spirit. We then ended on the divine gift of faith and the indication that the existence of the Church is a kind of great and perpetual motive of credibility and incontrovertible evidence of her own divine mission by virtue of her propagation, holiness, and goodness, catholic unity and unconquerable stability. At last, here, there was accord among the bishops and cardinals, I always appreciate those days when we can fully agree. I treat these periods as well deserved respites from my trials and an indication that, despite our differences, we all wish for the good of the Church.
    As the new week started, we got down to the relationship between faith and reason, a discussion that claimed most of my peace of mind then and later on. An initial majority of the attendees wanted to set in stone that any findings by science that appear to contradict the divine word must be forbidden and kept away from faithful Christians. There I had to step in and wrestle with a coalition of Spaniards and Frenchmen who would not compromise on their idea that since faith is above reason and reason cannot contradict faith then the deviant teachings need to be considered heretical. I argued with them for days on end from dawn until dusk trying every angle I could think of until I finally managed to get my rivals to bend with the concession that reason on its own is never able to penetrate the divine mysteries because they can only be granted by faith. However due to reason's God-given nature, if the disciplines of science find something that appears in contradiction with ecclesiastical teaching, that is a sign that the interpretation of scripture or tradition must be discussed afresh to account for the new insight gained and thereby the older interpretation can be set aside. In fact, so far should the Church be from hindering the development of human arts and studies, that she must strive to assist and promote them in many ways. For she is neither ignorant nor contemptuous of the advantages which derive from this source for human life, rather she acknowledges that those things flow from God, the lord of sciences, and, if they are properly used, lead to God by the help of his grace. I remember many ancient men looking distressed and confused at the new proclamation but I knew I had the key prelates in my hand. When the voting came, Callixtus announced that my amendments had been approved in their entirety.
    This Calvary of a month ended with the announcement of the anathemas and thankfully it resulted principally in a summary of the previous week's battles. It was proclaimed that he should be anathema who says that nothing exists besides matter, that God cannot be known with certainty by the light of human reason, that divine revelation cannot be made credible by external signs, that all miracles are impossible and that divine revelation contains no true mysteries. And finally, we come to this morning when the cold day did nothing to restrict my sweating at the thought that the chapters on faith and reason could be discussed once again. A terrible knot took up residence in my throat while Callixtus read the anathemas to be placed and while the votes were counted. But no great opposition came, every one of us exhausted by the past conflicts accepted that further discussion would be divisive and futile. Thus he is anathema who says that human studies should not guide and inform the interpretation of divine revelation and that it is not possible that the dogmas propounded by the Church might be amended by the advancement of knowledge.
    The Lord tests all our faiths in these circumstances but I have emerged from this trial stronger and more determined than ever to save the Church. My work is not yet done but I feel that an important foundation has been set for this great reform. But now, it is with tired eyes and aching back that I happily welcome this night's respite.

Sunday 16th of May 1869
    It is not often that one manages to define a dogma in their lifetime but that is what we have done this day. The First Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Christ has been finalized and consigned to history but I am not as pleased as I once was.
    This was the first time where I really had serious disagreements with Callixtus. I hoped to have the bishops officially enshrine papal infallibility once and for all but the Pope opposed me on this. He did not do so in public during the council but preferred to take me aside for a private meeting far from anyone that could hear. He told me that he did not believe that he was infallible even when speaking ex-cathedra nor especially in his personal life. He claimed that his election had been a fluke and that, if that could happen to him, how many more popes could be elected that have no business wielding their authority. I stood without thoughts and stared at him then, I did not speak until he called out my name and asked me what I thought. I offered some feeble sentences about how he is the right man for the position but I know now that I don't really believe that. All I had before me was an anxious man hoping for some guidance and I wanted to make him infallible. I proposed that we take a seat and talk about the situation person to person and Callixtus' face beamed the greatest relief that I have ever seen, like a diseased man who has discovered that he will not die of his ailment. We discussed the question for several hours and I understood the entirety of his feeling on the matter: it is important that the Pope's authority not be questioned while he lives but, as our declarations in the last month indicate, there will always be room for improvement on what one generation or Pope considers as dogma. I agreed that the principle was coherent with our previous declarations and suggested that it could be affirmed that a Pope's statements ex-cathedra are infallible during the Pope's lifetime but may be overturned by another successor of Peter if he is able to garner the support of enough bishops as in an ecumenical council. This still did not sit easily with Callixtus but I saw that he had been utterly drained and would not argue the question further.
    And so the next day, I suggested to the assembly that the sitting Pope be considered infallible when speaking ex-cathedra but a successor may amend previous declarations after taking the counsel of the bishops manifesting the tradition of the churches. Here there was little opposition by the prelates, who I can tell are already tired of this long sojourn and mainly wish to return to their posts away from Rome. This meant that the proposal was fully accepted and the Constitution was ready by the end of the week with the clauses on the Primacy of Peter and the Pontiff, and the problematic issue of infallibility.
    I said that I am not as satisfied as I once was and I fear this will continue for the last leg of the council. I thought I was crafting these changes together with the Pope and his silence was a form of assent to my changes but now I fear that I may have pushed him too far. He crumpled so thoroughly during our conversation that I feared he would break down at any moment and I cannot help but be weighed down by guilt for my actions, though I believe I am in the right. I must make sure to keep a closer eye on him from now on, for both the Church's sake and mine.

WJkzm7el.jpg

Monday 7th of June 1869
    The council has finally been closed and allows me to take a deep breath and rest for the first time in half a year. The Dogmatic Constitution on the Heresy and Orthodoxy of Modernity was a comparably sedate affair which mainly involved one long conversation with Callixtus.
    The issues on the table were colonialism, socialism, and the key issue of the unification of Italy. As last time Libero, or well...it doesn't matter, was in quite the sorry state but he was constantly diligent and helpful with the discussion. I remembered my previous experience and tried to allow for a pause each time we concluded an element but he insisted that we hammer everything out that very day.
    We began with the theme of socialism as it is the one that we most agree on. Simply put, we accept the general principle that a state, and the Church by extension, should endeavor to provide their subjects with the means to ensure a good life for all. The only element of this philosophy that we abhor, however, are the errors that Marx made with regards to religion and collectivization. Religion is not so much the opiate of the masses but rather a restorative spring of water that serves to alleviate the suffering of those who need solace most and as such, Christ deserves a place at the center of civil life. As for property, we deem it unreasonable to not allow for a man to work hard and improve the lot of his family for, if God himself judges us based on our merits or failings, we should apply the same principle on Earth and allow earthly rewards for those who work hardest for them.
    We then came to the issue of the colonies that the Great Powers have begun to set up to tame the uncivilized regions of the world. I must confess that I had not given the issue much thought before that day but it seems that Libero had spent many a sleepless night in thought about the practice and the Papal States' involvement in the same. He told me that bringing the light of Christianity and civilization to people so backward and unconscious of their sins should be considered as a moral imperative equivalent to that of saving the souls of the sinners who live among us every day. He shuddered at the thought of entire hordes of people who live their whole lives without the knowledge that they are damned and, at best, can hope to wallow in limbo until judgment day; a terrible loss that can only be rectified by the gift of God's light into their lives thus allowing them true control of their destinies. But the shadow of history caused Callixtus to fear that unscrupulous people might take advantage of the newly baptized innocents and curse them in this life though they may be saved in the next. He asked me to set into words some declaration to be included in the Council's documents that could be equivalent to "Sublimis Deus" for the savages that still exist in the world and anxiously await our arrival. I asked him whether it is his desire that the Church involve itself in these potential new colonies and he committed to a long pause. The Church yes, he said, but not the Papal States. Our realm is far too weak at the moment to fund such a project and there are urgent issues at home to be considered.
    The issues surrounding home were those that started up more of an argument between us. I was keen on a formal declaration of the Pope's influence over Italy and a call for the Italian people to join together under the authority of a single religious and temporal leader. Callixtus disapproved of that idea. He regretted the necessity of the Papal States expanding beyond its traditional borders and saw Urban's expedition as the first step in a chain that may lead to the destruction of the Papacy or, worse, its corruption. Though unification seems inevitable at this point, he saw it rather as a constriction of communities that, in most cases, have been separate from each other for over a thousand years and have little in common beyond a basic language. I disagreed almost in anger with this fatalist view of the situation and pointed to the case of Germany where the Prussians are constructing a grand state with a multitude of different peoples who nonetheless hold a common identity. These Germans are now at the center of the European stage, feared and admired by the entire continent; a similar process could happen to Italy and the Papal States but with the guarantee of a force for justice always stable at the top. The Pope laughed when I said that. Had Alexander VI been a force for justice? Had Urban IX? Is Callixtus IV? If Italy is to be united then it should be only seen as a political affair borne out of defense, not a religious dogma that taints the faith by its use as a shallow tool of ambition. It must be acceptable for every Italian to defend their homes if they do not wish for new rulers as any sane man would do. I tried to oppose this point but, for the first time, I can remember, the Pope silenced me and said that his mind was made up. The official document now contains a nebulous clause stating that the Pope welcomes the right of all Italians to be governed by a just ruler whoever they may be. The "just" was my addition and nobody much thought about it. Who knows? A more ambitious Pope may come up with a suitable definition for justice.
    And so ends the Vatican Council, a drawn-out affair that leaves me both more cynical and more hopeful. I no longer know what Callixtus' ambitions truly are both for Italy and for the Church and I fear that he is hiding something from me. I will have to pay even closer attention in the future.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXIII: Like Leaves Upon Autumn Trees

Monday 25th of October 1869
    The Pope warned me that this would happen and I tried my best to get ready but, now that it's here, I can't breathe. I don't know why Callixtus thinks that I should lead this operation, at most I can help with the logistics but at worst I will just deliver reports of terrible happenings. A small consolation is the fact that both Sicily and France have agreed to help us in the war so that will take some pressure off me and our soldiers. I was hoping that neither side would fall into a provocation but the Savoyards have miscalculated and gotten caught distributing bribes to prompt an annexation of Romagna as they did for Tuscany. Callixtus could do nothing else but respond to this but this does nothing to reduce my dread.
    I have to collect my thoughts and go over the guidelines that I have been given. Take Tuscany then move on to Milan and hopefully, by then the French will have taken Torino and forced a peace. Hope is not something I would want to consign the lives of thousands to but I don't really have a choice in the matter. I need to provide orders to Generals Cattaneo and Pacoret to move on towards Florence and secure the area while de Liguori can wait on the Lombard border and hold back any possible counterattacks.
    This reminds me, I have to circulate mobilization orders to all the reserves we have and get them to the fronts as soon as they are equipped. I don't know where is best to send them but all I can do is wait for more news about Savoyard actions.
    Is it better if I move closer to the front to get better information or will I just risk getting caught off guard by rapid actions? For now, I should start to gather information here in Rome and, if things go well enough, I will move into Tuscany to receive information there.
    I am dreading the upcoming months and I pray that the Piedmontese focus their attention on the Alps and leave a clear field for us in Central Italy.

NkLoay9l.jpg

Monday 8th of October 1869
    Oh, God. I can't think straight and even if I could I cannot think of anything that would make things better. The Pope is going to kill me when news comes to him and there is nothing I can do. I managed to lose forty-thousand soldiers in a feeble attempt to take Grosseto and at this very moment, the enemy marches into Romagna with only goodwill left to shield Rome itself. I have stared at the battle report all day long in the hope that maybe I misread the casualty list but no, every time I see it there, four out of every five professional soldiers we had has been returned to the earth. I have to react to this somehow and I have to mitigate the blow for Callixtus if I don't want to be sent as a missionary to some godforsaken place in the middle of nowhere.
    First I have to defend Rome, I will call Cattaneo's army back to Lazio but make sure to keep them far away from the eyes of the city. I also have to send more letters to the reserves and guarantee that the defeated army is brought back to an operable state in the hope of a counteroffensive or at the bare minimum a valiant defense.
    Oh God, what have I done? How heavily will this crime weigh upon my soul when the time comes and I am called to give an account of myself? What worthy penance can I do? I cannot talk to the Pope about my soul now since I still have a job to do but when the war is done I will prostrate myself before him and beg for forgiveness both earthly and heavenly.
    But I can't focus on that yet, I need to plan. I can start by sacking Cattaneo and give him his part of the blame in this fiasco and then I'll call up someone else. I think I remember that someone told me about a General Ferrari. He's supposed to be an adventurous new promotion but skilled in his own way. He'll do well enough. I must try my best to avoid the Papal States being split in half so I will dispatch Ferrari and his men to Perugia to keep an eye on things. But what if Rome is targeted? The army must be on high alert at all times and rush back to defend the city at a moment's notice. I have to remember to commit Admiral Zunica to blockade Genoa and avoid any attempt at a surprise naval invasion.
    Each time I receive news I am torn between the hope of a French advance and the terror of a Piedmontese victory. I must pray that the former materialize soon or I can feel that I will lose my mind if not my soul.

Friday 31st of December 1869
    I am still dizzy with excitement and exhausted with all the goings-on in the past couple of weeks. I got the news of our victory in the Ligurian Sea with my first letter in the morning. At first, I was floored by a monumental weight on my chest since I read the battle as a defeat: six ships lost on our side and five from the enemy did not seem like a good outcome and I don't think we could cope with a loss in the Tyrrhenian Sea at such a delicate point in the war. Thankfully, as I read the details of the message in a blind panic, I stumbled upon the sentence "The Sardinians retreated to the port of Livorno where they are currently blockaded". At this point, I breathed a sigh of relief long enough to buoy a hot air balloon. After a follow up with some aides, I am now lead to understand that our losses are mainly due to older sailing vessels in the Sicilian navy and a couple of leaking transports in our own while the Savoyards lost two modern ironclads besides their own transports.
    This success pairs well with our defense of Florence against a small Piedmontese force last week and I might even try to break the remaining hostile army around Bologna with those same men to secure a good negotiating position for ourselves. I am both happy and ashamed to admit that France has played the lead role in capturing the goals of the war. Milan and Nice are in their hands and it's only a matter of time before Turin itself is forced to surrender. On our side, we've lost Perugia and Ancona and suffered the catastrophe in Grosseto which puts us in a hazardous position overall, I don't envy whoever will be in charge of our peace negotiations.
    I'm not sure why a ceasefire has not yet been called, surely there is nothing more that can be gained by the French? I have detested this war every day it has gone on with the constant fear of some new horrible news and never a moment of internal peace. There is nothing I wish more than to once again return to my pleasant diversions and leave this insanity behind me.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXIV: Pummeled Piedmont and Rising Reich
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Diomede Cangiano

Monday 25th of October 1869
    I have waited five long years but it seems that Callixtus' plan has come to fruition and I need only hold things in place for a while longer. Even though I received a message about the new direction a few weeks ago, I am still worried and confused about the development. I never took the Pope for a warmonger but he has attacked more countries in the last decade than any pontiff I have ever seen. I have had an unpleasant pressure on my chest these last days while I wait for the formal declaration and I hoped that the sensation would leave me once the announcement came but the news is out and the weight has only intensified. I trust and respect Libero but I cannot seem to make peace with Callixtus' behavior. I have written personal letters to him in the hope that he might change his ways but I never receive significant replies and certainly no change in actions. He is charging the Papacy into the unknown with new ideas and laws but no firm anchoring anywhere and I fear where this will lead us. This new conflict will throw Italy in the direction of the Germans with a destructive desire for hegemony over our peers.
    Speaking of which, the Prussians and their new Confederation have been a thorn in my side since the Sicilian treaty. Napoleon hungers to break up this entity before it becomes unstoppable and I've had to do my darndest to hold him back and deflect him to petty issues in Africa where he can exhaust his imperial ambition bit by bit. This has caused some small African tribes no end of misery but at least I have kept Europe from erupting into flames. I dearly hope that this clash with the Savoyards might keep him distracted at least long enough for my task to be completed. As for after, I am not sure if anyone will be called to keep the situation under control; it may be that a confrontation is inevitable and I have patched up things just enough to ensure our survival. For now, I have asked Napoleon to meet with me to refine the details on the acquisition of Savoy where I will do my best to draw out the process and crowd out all other thoughts for now.
    I must get some rest and forget for a moment the months of trouble that await me. At least in sleep, I may rest easy.

YlGfkY4l.png

Sunday 2nd of January 1870
    Dear God, those madmen have finally done it. Leopold von Hohenzollern is King of Spain and Europe is on fire. It seems that the Prussians have abandoned all subtlety and accepted a clash on all fronts. France and Russia have declared war on the North German Confederation and Spain which forced the Papal States to join Bonaparte in this senseless conflict. The people of Paris are full of confidence and patriotism for this cause but I have begun to fear for my safety and have made plans to escape back to Italy through Marseille if the enemy army comes into view.
    Our fight with the Piedmontese is not going well and I fear that, with Napoleon occupied on three fronts, the tide might turn against us and who knows then what Vittorio Emanuele will demand then. All around there is chaos and there is so little I can do to help. I asked for an audience with the Emperor and it was refused with the promise that I will be seen once the enemy is crushed. I hope that this means a quick resolution but, if my previous experience can be relied upon, the denial is more a prophecy of German victory.
    I pray constantly to God that he might protect his people from the onslaught and deliver me from evil as my sole power lies far outside the sphere of Great Powers. Oh Libero, why have you left me here with this task?

Thursday 17th of February 1870
    The fight against Piedmont is over and we have snatched victory just as the Prussians have started to push into Lorraine. I hope that we shall never have to face these Germans that appear to have swatted Russia aside like an annoying fly and have now set their eyes on Paris.
    I am grateful that my peace treaty was mostly finalized before the fighting began and there were only a few minor quibbles to be solved before setting the seals on the accord. Napoleon was not present for the discussions, rumors say that his sickness has worsened with the condition of the German war and he is not long for this world. He was represented by Émile Ollivier who seems to be preparing the Empire for a succession at an inauspicious moment. Piedmont as well was represented by a shadow: Emilio Visconti Venosta would have been a competent diplomat at any other time but the spirit of Cavour and his failed unification looms large on every action he has to take. However, with Turin surrounded by French troops and no armies to speak of, the Savoyard cause seems lost. Their only card on the table is our desire for a quick peace.
    The first draft of the treaty was the one I had discussed with the Emperor a few months ago: Milan and Lombardy to the Papal States and Savoy to the French Empire. Visconti Venosta was prepared to accept these terms but Ollivier demanded that his country receive greater compensation for its leading role in combat, something that no-one could deny they had had unlike their demands in the Sicilian negotiations. He began by demanding Sardinia and the Aosta Valley in addition to the previous requests. I could certainly not allow an angry and wounded France to have a foothold on our side of the Alps, let alone a base a stone's throw from Rome. I did my best to calm the man both in the meeting and in private with the justification that Sardinia would be too troublesome to occupy under the current situation and that Aosta has nothing of value. Ollivier huffed and puffed at this suggestion threatening that the Papal States were on thin ice already for their lax contributions to the Prussian war and we should count ourselves lucky that the French Empire still accepts to take part in our squabble. The discussion was adjourned to the following day when Visconti Venosta provided a way out by offering up Nice as a sacrifice to the Gauls. A prosperous city with preexisting ties to France and some strategic importance satisfied (though not enough to endanger Italy) both mine and Ollivier's conditions. Nice's fate was sealed when an aide whispered in the French minister's ear that German armies had shattered Lorraine and were descending on Reims.

VG1A2ZMl.png

So after a blessedly short deliberation, I managed to end my residence in Paris. Callixtus has written to congratulate me on the positive result and invited me back to Rome. I could feel that, despite the wars he has caused, he spoke often and with grave words about the conflict and did not believe that the Prussians can be defeated. I write this en route to Marseille as I had planned and the trains are filled with soldiers on their way to the front to try and hold back the German tide. I pity these young men and I am grateful that Libero has shone through with his decision to withhold our youth from more carnage. However, I must admit that Ollivier's reproach still stings at my conscience whenever my thoughts wander, lives may be saved but is it an honorable thing?
    I do not belong to this world anymore. Too much has happened in too little time and I can no longer make sense of it. I thank God for giving me the strength to do my duty but now I must finally rest.

Author’s note:
    Cardinal Cangiano was the last relevant cardinal born in the 1700s and fully shows it by identifying with the ideals of a bygone age.
    His performance as Archbishop of Florence was not particularly noteworthy and he managed to obtain a place in the curia under Innocent XIV as an unthreatening conservative balance to Cardinal Lisi. In this role, it is noted that either Cangiano was overestimated or the latter underestimated as there are no records of a vocal opposition from the Florentine cardinal to the sweeping reforms of the First Vatican Council.
    Cangiano’s main contribution to Papal history is his diplomatic work in Paris where many speculate that Callixtus IV may have sent him in a sort of exile for political or private reasons. His negotiation of the two peaces has been viewed warmly by most historians which state that, while not extraordinary, he managed to make reasonable progress with the hand he was dealt, solidifying valuable steps on the road to Italian unification.
    Finally, with regards to his potential election to the Petrine See, most are comfortable with the view that he would have been the wrong Pope for the time and might have caused the Papal States to be swallowed by the rising tide of Sardinia-Piedmont in its attempt to unite the Peninsula.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXV: Do Unto Others
  • From the personal diaries of Pope Callixtus IV

Thursday 14 November 1861
    I still have to refrain from looking around me when people ask for the Pope but today I have finally begun to take actions beyond the simple acts of everyday governance. The Lord has chosen me to guide his flock and I must assume that the experiences I have had so far are to be a guide for the future. Back in the days of Gregory, so long ago now, I realized that the only way in which the Church will remain relevant in the future is to open itself up to change and listen freely to those new ideas that the world brings us. Guaranteeing publishing rights to everyone who has the means to do so was one of the first thoughts I had when gifted with my burden but it has taken me so long to smooth away the fears and doubts of the Curia. Thanks to all this work, my seal now lies upon a law that guarantees free speech to anyone who wishes to criticize my government and the repurposing of the old state-controlled newspaper. Now that I can no longer simply go among the people and speak to them, it is imperative that I know their struggles.
    The loudest cries for reform come from the Peloponnese. I never understood what Urban was thinking in his decision to subjugate the Greeks but now the time has come to rectify this mistake as well as my powers allow me. Since the conquest, the native Greeks have been treated as second-class citizens without the ability to rise in local government and clauses in the legal system that forces them to defer to both mainland and immigrant Italians. So far, the answer to their dissatisfaction was the suppression of their voice but I cannot see this reach any solution until the Greeks are entirely gone. Consequently, I have decided that I will set the equality between Greek and Italian into law. I will ask Cardinal Lisi to help me with the details to ensure the cleanest possible transition and finally interrupt the cycle of violence that has already claimed too many.

e04ZXbLl.jpg

Monday 16th of February 1863
    Today was a refreshing return to my younger days when I could just go around talking to people without ten secretaries micromanaging everything. I visited the arms factory just outside Rome and personally inspected the premises to ensure that the workers are well treated and my industrial legacy is not tarnished. I made a point of appearing unannounced and the palette of expressions that went across the faces of laborers and overseers is certainly something I'd love to see again. It's an amusing party trick if nothing else. In any case, I talked with some of the employees to gauge their satisfaction with the establishment and which ideas they had for an improvement in their conditions. While I did not find confirmation for the horror stories I heard about from certain foreign factories, I was struck by the number of injuries that can and do happen from time to time. This was combined with an ample range of salaries for individuals with the same responsibilities where strong young men would make up to twenty grani each week while women, children, and the elderly could barely reach ten. These are minute quantities and I understand the logic behind them but no person can live with a modicum of dignity for just ten grani.
    My round of interviews was interrupted by the arrival of a few of the main shareholders in the company, some of whom I recognized from receptions at Andrea's house and others from my earlier days of investment promotion. They all looked rather distressed and asked me if I had been approached by any Socialist firebrands but I reassured them that no such thing had happened and I explained my findings to them. We then discussed how an increase in pay might be requested by their employees and how a change might be obtained. I was told that the workers did not have a say in the size of their income but they were informed of the sum upon employment. A long discussion proceeded from this premise where I told these gentlemen that it was their sacrosanct right to profit off of their investments but they could do so without forcing their laborers into grievous injuries and starvation. For the rest of the day, we hammered out a deal on where to go next and what measures should be implemented, each tempering the other's fervor. Finally, we agreed that all workers, no matter their condition, should be paid a minimum of fourteen grani every week and, to address the issues that might arise, that they could join a union under a Papal Legate who will inform me of any common complaints that arise and need to be addressed.
    It was one of the most exhausting days in my recent memory but I am convinced that its fruits will be most sweet. I will have to consult with members of the Curia to extend this solution to all Papal territories but I doubt they will resist me on this. With this mission, I feel that I may finally understand what I was put in this place to do.

Wednesday 30th of September 1868
    I am still cleaning up the macabre fruits of my war. I received a fresh reminder when I noticed an increased amount of children who work in factories and reports of many that die in mines across the country. This made me ask them why they pursued such dangerous jobs and if there were none for their parents. I received the same answer every time: their fathers had died or been mutilated beyond working.
    I thought that Innocent's school system would take care of these children until they were old and durable enough to not die or be injured in such numbers. I was wrong. The two years of cursory education that they receive, are not sufficient to educate fatherless youth. What they would need is a longer course of study up to eleven or twelve years. I've almost concluded the final touches on my plan of a curriculum but I feel that it is not enough.
    I have thought that unscrupulous people might choose to forego the education of their children, even for free, with the desire to send them to work for more profit. With this in mind, I've started work on a partial prohibition on hard labor for minors. I've only discussed the plan with a few confidants so I'm not sure what the measure will include or exclude yet but I feel that it is my moral obligation.
    I am sure that my burden will not become any lighter in the coming years. I only hope that I am doing the right thing.

fNOn5Esl.jpg

Thursday 7th of July 1870
    I often question the wisdom of the Holy Spirit in choosing me for this position. I would have been a much better servant than I am a leader but I understand that it is not my place to judge. In the third war of my Papacy, I am tired of slaughter, especially for lands so distant as Alsace-Lorraine, and, in that spirit, I have decided to keep the Papal forces around Milan where the wounds of the Piedmontese conflict are still fresh. When I visited the city a few months ago, I saw the cheering crowds along the path of my parade but some darker faces being kept at bay by the guards told a different and dangerous story. I do not wish to make another Peloponnese out of Lombardy but the reports I have received greatly discouraged me.
    Pamphlets that advocate for the freedom of Milan are in wide circulation and I am informed that vast amounts of weapons have been disappearing from the market. My intelligence has given me estimates that over seventy-thousand Milanese might be ready to take up arms against the Papal garrison. Our tired and undermanned army would have a hard job suppressing a revolt of that magnitude and, even if it could, I doubt that a massacre of such proportions would endear me to the Venetians and the Greeks, not to mention the Lord our Father.
    I am told that the protests stem mostly from the impoverished pockets of the region's cities and their desires for further rights. Accounts on the state of Piedmont's labor laws were conflicting, with some claiming that they are comparable to ours and others who believe that we are miles ahead of their standards. Regardless of the truth of these rumors, it is clear that I must appeal to these people to ensure the safety and stability of the region. A first element that should calm them will be opening up the administration of workers' unions to the workers themselves. I can already hear Cardinal Cangiano rail about the risk of Socialists taking control of these institutions but I don't see this as much of a problem as long as they accept the government of the Church. Finally, I am sure that an increase in the minimum salary will have them look favorably upon the new management. I was thinking to establish the base at twenty-two grani per week and slowly increasing it each year up to thirty-one by 1875.
    I hope that these provisions will be sufficient to win over the protesters to my side. If not, then I hope that I will be forgiven for my role in the troubles to come.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXVI: We Were for Centuries Downtrodden, Derided
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Giulio Felicetti

Tuesday 23rd of February 1870
    I am speechless at the state of Milan after the French occupation, artillery damage and soldiers' bivouacs are now the city's main attraction. If only that dunce Formica had acted with the least bit of competence, then we would have had the city and taken proper care of it. Of course, I was the preferred candidate to lead the endeavor, but the Pope must have been hard-pressed to choose between a typhoid-ridden competent man and a healthy incompetent one. In any case, I am happy to return to my archbishopric in the guise of a governor and recover my strength in a familiar environment.
    Say what you will about the Savoyards, but they knew what they were doing with Lombardy. The regional administration will require minimal change and, since most of the Piedmontese officials have left already, it will probably amount to nothing more than filling a few vacancies in the upper levels. The industry is also quite impressive overall although the French got far too comfortable with their occupation and confiscated a lot of material from the factories in the area. This has led to the unemployment of approximately half the craftsmen in Lombardy and significant social unrest. Since Callixtus has given me great autonomy in my actions, I have decided to begin my government with the donation of large incentives to the Milanese capitalists so that they may get the economy up and running before the workers are poisoned against us.
    It is strange to see that the prominent families have remained entirely unchanged if only the Austrian cockades are swapped for the Papal ones. That is a great flaw of my home, it has grown soft under foreign rule for the last three hundred years and its upper class has degenerated into spineless servants for whoever is the ruler du jour. The people at least had the courage to rebel against the Austrians back in '48 but their planning was lacking as it often is with such things. Now, it comes to me to whip this city into shape and ensure that only the useful nobles remain while the others are made aware of their pointlessness.
    This reminds me that I really must pay a visit to my parents since I have postponed it for quite long enough at this point. I remember how confused and disappointed they looked when I told them I wanted to become a priest. "But you could do anything you want" they said, as if I had not thought of that every time I surpassed my peers and finally caught a glimpse of the divine. For what better way is there to use one's gifts than to serve omnipotent God and give thanks for everything He bestows upon us? In giving thanks, I was not surprised to find that I rose through the ranks until my current station, proof once again that the Lord provides for his faithful.
    I should consider these thoughts for my first mass in Papal Milan, I must make the people understand that we are not here to oppress them like those that came before but rather to make them better and give them a privileged place among the Catholic nations.

EnUcs1Rl.jpg

Thursday 7th of July 1870
    Today was quite eventful with a fulfilling briefing on the status of the manufactory and some unsettling news from the Pope.
    The Milanese industry has managed to recover from the effects of the occupation and the supply lines have been redirected towards Rome. At this moment there is a total of approximately sixty-thousand laborers in factories across Lombardy which add up to over twice the number that can be found in the rest of the Papal States. Despite all of the work done, I still find peasants pouring into the city with cries for further jobs. To deal with this, I have chosen to make a considerable investment into the expansion of a pre-existing small arms factory in Monza which will cover the workers' needs for a while. In the meantime, I have conducted frequent sermons at mass on the futility of just bundling up one's wealth and not putting it out in the service of the State and Christ. After all, "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" so men must endeavor to spend their money in productive endeavors and not rest upon it without effort. To my great satisfaction, this has gotten many in the old family circle to follow my indications and a prodigious number of industrial distilleries has begun to grow in the countryside.
    It would only be good news if not for the one from Rome. I assume that the blasphemous Lisi put these ideas into the Pope's head, but it seems that Callixtus believes the Lombard situation to be dangerously unstable and he has bent under this unseen pressure. I simply heard the grumbling of some malcontents who whine to make up for the irrelevance of their lives but it appears that the magnitude of the threat has swollen with each kilometer from here to Rome. And so, the pope has decided to not only allow for worker-led unions but even to allow them to be explicitly socialist in nature. Imagine that. Not just allowing, but protecting the spread of seditious ideas that threaten the Church itself. I did not much mind Callixtus at first but ever since the Vatican Council I lose confidence in his faith with each passing day. The simple fact that the Bible, the divinely mandated word of God, could be reinterpreted based on information of dubious provenance is absolutely inconceivable to me and I am outraged that there was not deeper resistance during deliberations. This situation is all Lisi's fault, of course, he accosts every opponent with honeyed words and dulls his antagonist's mind to the point that they can no longer think with enough clarity to repel this heresy. This arch-puppeteer even tried his tricks on me once, compliments and praise and friendly gestures while he concocted the most bitter of poisons. Thankfully, the Lord instilled me with ample faith to resist such subterfuge and I stood firm in my resistance. Unfortunately, that was not enough to alter the course of the council but at least the Lord will know his own.
    These are the thoughts that plagued me this day and I felt the strongest need to write them down as if to exorcise the wrathful sin that had begun to build up within me. With this exercise, I can feel the calm of virtue return to me and my soul. I must not indulge in rage but plan and struggle so that the object of my fury shall be no more and justice be re-established. The Lord, in His wisdom, will give me the patience for the task.

Iu4aFVEl.jpg

Friday 15th of December 1871
    I have taken my time with this pope and given him the benefit of the doubt regarding the policies he has enacted but today is the last straw. In the past, he made some changes to resist real or perceived threats from the population and, while I do not condone this sort of behavior, it was a misguided attempt to fix a problematic situation, but he has begun to upend the social order without any real need for the modification or thought of its consequences. For example, he recently prohibited children from doing physically demanding labor which may sound like a compassionate idea in theory but will surely result in greater suffering for families since their sons and daughters will not be allowed to earn their keep but be a drain on resources until they reach an arbitrary age at which they can finally give back to their struggling parents. He then goes on to try and fix his blunder with the forced introduction of a minimum wage upon employers who are punished for their investments by having to support those parasites who can do work of abysmal quality and still be paid as if they had done well. The Lord himself tells us in the parable of the barren fig tree that those who do not bear fruit should be cut down and not simply allowed to be a burden on their productive neighbors.
    I have been raging against these reforms for quite a while, first with a private display of disapproval and recently in public so that I may ensure that the Church's resources are not squandered but put towards its betterment. However, my pleas to those in power have fallen upon deaf ears and it is time that I find alternative means to do my work. I have sent out feelers to find cardinals or potential cardinals that are equally as worried about the current situation as I am. As I expected, there is no lack of resentment for Callixtus' changes and I have managed to form a small bloc for myself with the aim of making our voice heard in case of new proposals.
    I think that the group is of a good size for the time being but I am interested in swaying Cardinal Andreano to my side, he has expressed concerns with the Vatican Council and, though he has not committed to my cause yet, he seems both influential and malleable enough to carry other cardinals with him. On the future cardinal front, I have met with a young theologian called Vincenzo Fatta who has intrigued me significantly. His Sardinian birth has hardened him sufficiently to the government in Turin which is a safe political position and, in the meantime, his religious studies have brought him to my same conclusion in terms of the pope's heterodoxy. As such, I have decided to sponsor this rising star and ensure in one way or another that he will grow to aid me in the fight for proper interpretation of the scriptures.
    A new chapter is opening and I can feel that my prayers will soon be answered.

Chapter XXVII: No Peace for the Wicked
  • A collection of pamphlets from the Hellenic Independence Front collected by Papal counterespionage

wvivATPl.png

24th of November 1861
    Brothers and Sisters of the Peloponnese, we encourage you to maintain your resistance against the foreign invaders. Their military and cultural suppression of our customs have not succeeded in breaking our spirits as they once thought. Though their soldiers can occupy the cities and the fortresses of our beloved country, we hold the power throughout the land and must continue to put pressure upon these tyrants. Through boycott and sabotage, we have managed to destroy the factory that they intended to impose upon us and now their new pope seeks to placate us by allowing for newspapers and giving us citizenship. This retreat is nothing but a sign that they are weak and feel the pressure that we put upon them every day such that we have no choice but to continue in our fight to break them at last.
    Though this organization can only publish the truth in opposition to the laws of the colonizers we recognize that it is a great boon to our cause that even civilian publications can speak their mind in support of our independence despite heavy censorship. It is by these means that we will be able to sway the vast majority of our compatriots to realize where their true loyalties lie and join us on the barricade in our efforts to fight for freedom. One such publication has even managed to re-publish poetry by the great Dionysios Solomos and even the dreaded Italians have been unable to stop his testimony from reaching our people. We leave you now with his most proud and enduring work so that it may be a constant reminder of the mission we have embarked upon.

I shall always recognize you
    by the dreadful sword you hold,
    as the Earth with searching vision
    you survey with spirit bold.

From the Greeks of old whose dying
    brought to life and spirit free,
    Now with ancient valor rising
    Let us hail you, oh Liberty!

14th of August 1866
    Sons of Greece, why do you still take up arms for the benefit of our oppressors? Is a warm meal truly worth betraying your country and your people? Have you truly been so warped as to believe that these foreigners have our best wishes at heart?
    This Callixtus seeks to divide us and bribe us into servitude with a minimum wage but we do not want any of his pity money. After all, this great bounty of wealth was taken from our lands by a ruler and a government we have no say in choosing. We were given citizenship with great pomp but this gesture is absolutely meaningless when we have none of the political rights that our compatriots in Athens do.
    We know that there are many Greeks in the Papal army that begin to doubt their indoctrination and search for a way out of their bondage, join us and free your nation! If enough of you recognize the injustice that thrives all around you and rise up in rebellion, we can push the invaders back into the sea and rejoin our motherland.
    Remain strong and do not be blinded by false promises, there is nothing to be gained in gilded chains.

24th of September 1872
    My fellow workers, for too many years the oppressors have tried to suppress our spirit by dividing us against each other. They made us believe that we were the lone wretched nation in their lands who suffered under a foreign yoke but we now know that they were nothing but lies from cowardly old men who cling to the remains of their own power like rabid dogs to an old bone. Just a few months ago the citizens of Milan were ready to rise up against this unholy pope and their rage was set aside a mere millimeter from revolution when he promised reform and allowed the socialist cause to set up their own unions.
    This is the crux of the matter, we are not merely citizens oppressed by foreign invaders but workers oppressed by the capitalists and priests who would see us in chains. It is therefore imperative that we join forces with each of the oppressed masses in these Papal States to once and for all gain freedom from Rome and freedom from slavery. I know that many of you will be shocked to hear that we should fraternize with the Italians that have come into our lands but I urge you to remember that this was not their choice. The terrible rigors of subsistence in Italy forced them to seek a new life but even here they find oppression and abuse. We must sway them to our way of thinking and march together as brothers into a more prosperous future for each of those that have been betrayed.
    The pope has attempted to sway us once more by giving us morsels of this great future while he keeps the rest of the feast for himself and his cronies. Do not be fooled by this sneering gift, when the revolution comes we will have infinitely more advantage without the need to grovel for it.
    I invite you all, loyal devotees of the revolution, to resist the restrictive laws put in place and flock to the university of Nafplion en masse on the anniversary of the murder of professor Grigorios Kanelotis and give your support to the lectures there which tell the truth about the inhumanity of the system we live in. Fear not the enemies' feeble reprisals, they have not enough soldiers to snuff out the strength of our ideas.

QdAMwRIl.jpg

22nd of October 1872
    The enemy have finally shown their true colors and blood runs through the streets of Nafplion as we had long expected. It was a glorious day of sunshine at the university where we had gathered to confront our oppressors and have them face their iniquity. Of course, the governor sent in his lackeys to disperse us but we would not bend to the threats of such a man. We chanted and shouted the righteousness of our cause at the police who had come to stamp us out until one of these animals decided to shoot a man of our own without provocation. More of them then shot into our crowd and we were given no choice but to retaliate in kind and pushed them back to their governor with tails between their legs.
    But we cannot revel in such a victory because its bloody cost was, as always, delivered onto us alone. Innumerable bodies littered the premises and all of them were bodies of the proletariat, not one of the masters had risked their lives but they sent underlings to do their dirty work. So it is with capitalists and imperialists everywhere, they may say that create value or spread civilization but the only thing they ever do is sit in their offices and give orders that end people's lives. If any of the nations of the world have a shred of honor and dignity they would see this as the time to give us our freedom but I believe that nobody will come until their own citizens rise up.
    I speak to you now, brothers and sisters with which I have spilled my blood. The lives we have lost will not be lost in vain as long as we continue to fight, as long as bosses and invaders cannot sleep soundly in their beds, and as long as their fear our reprisals with every breath. Last night's bombing has rid us of one governor but more will come in his place, we must spread our fight to Italy where the pope and his lackeys think themselves safe so that they may understand what suffering they place us under.
    Long live the revolution and death to the pope king!

Chapter XXVIII: Ein Volk, Ein Reich
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Annibale Lisi

Saturday 15th of August 1863
    I've allowed myself a summer of rest after my mission in Greece and it turns out to have been the right decision. I enjoyed a brief to return to Pescara for a little while and check in on my parents since they are getting on in years and I want to ensure they are properly taken care of. I was a little worried about the suspicious behavior of the Sicilian authorities during my visit and I had to spend several hours explaining my reasons for being there and that they were not political in the least but merely personal. It seems that Callixtus has begun to foment discord between our two nations in my absence. I really wish he had consulted me for this matter, the Two Sicilies could be a valuable ally but now he's gone and thrown it all away. I offered mother and father to come back to Rome with me in case things turn ugly, but they said that it is too late to leave home at their age. I suppose I understand the feeling, but I can't help but be irritated that I was not consulted in the Pope's decision. I thought that we had reached an understanding after the conclave that it would be better for everyone if we set aside petty politics and worked together. I will have to redouble my efforts when I return to Rome to ensure that our alliance is not broken.

24Ks6HDl.png

In other news, things in Germany have started to deteriorate at an alarming rate and Austria has just suffered a crushing humiliation. I don't shed any tears for those absolutists but the North German Confederation, well Prussia really, has achieved complete hegemony over the German-speaking peoples and it is just a matter of time before Europe has to contend with a hungry behemoth at its center. They have not yet expressed any desire for closer political integration, but it is logical to assume that the newly formed nation will aim for centralization. I imagine that Bismarck is in wait for some suitably grand gesture to create his union of German peoples. Who knows, Austria might even be persuaded to abandon its empire and join this new entity. I'm not sure how I would react to that sort of a union because, on the one hand, a Berlin-facing Austria will leave behind a significant power vacuum in the Adriatic and the Balkans at large, something that we could take advantage of but, on the other hand, the German-Austrian union might be a terrifying hegemon under which we could not survive.
    I will write to Callixtus in the morning and let him know my thoughts on the matter. Now that I am back, I should give new life to our relationship and keep him focused on his many duties to ensure that our newly sprouted collaboration bears fruit.

Tuesday 13th of October 1868
    Most of the preparations for the council at the start of the year are finalized, only the participants and minor administrative tasks are still missing. The Pope can deal with the different cardinals, bishops and eminent theologians that need to be invited while I might take a look at the more menial logistics whenever I will be less burdened by work. It still seems unreal and I'm sure that the realization will hit me solely when I see the Vatican filled with robed figures, but the anxiety has begun its slow build. There is so much that depends on this council and I need to make sure that everything is well organized and the scales are tipped in the right direction before the deliberations even begin.

BEJj5qGl.png

A brief...distraction? arrived today in the form of news from Germany. It seems that Ludwig's castles could not save him from the Prussian onslaught. The war that began on some transparent pretext of Bavarian interference in Baden has ended with the destruction of the Bavarian industry and its political humiliation, enough to ensure that they stay out of Bismarck's way for the moment. The news itself is nothing extraordinary with Europe having spent the last years bracing for the inevitable put-down of Prussia's rival, but its combination with the council has brought me to think further with regards to the Italian question. The Savoyards have tried their best by simply devouring Modena Parma and Tuscany which may work well in their limited environment but I believe that this would begin to fail if applied to the whole peninsula, especially if the Papacy is to be involved. If I had to think of a unitary Italy today with the Pope at its center, I would have it be a federation of states with co-equal powers on the loose model of the Swiss Confederation with the Papacy in the role of international representative and mediator. Clearly, this is mere speculation and the practical details would depend on the circumstances of federation but I believe that such a model would smooth over old animosities and allow for a strong external image. Germany has the advantage that, with Austria out of the picture, there is no significant counterweight to the Prussians while in Italy we have three principal realms that are equipotent and each is sure to demand that their rights be respected.
    I must discuss this matter with Callixtus especially since I believe that we have not touched the subject on any previous occasion. If we want to spur unification forward, there is no better opportunity than an ecumenical council to make a grand proclamation.

Thursday 23rd of October 1873
    Another long day today. The responsibilities keep piling up with each passing week and my back has become sore as if in some poor joke about carrying the weight of the world. The fading light of autumn has also worsened my situation as I am forced to write by the light of a feeble candle rather than a glorious sunset. I suppose I have nobody but myself to blame for wanting to climb to this position, but I think that I would have greater peace of mind if I were the delegator and not the delegate. Who knows, Callixtus has become frail and I am still in good enough health. I cannot be faulted for a little hope, though I fear that reality would be far crueler than the evening desires of a tired man. I will cut this speculation short by committing to paper a summary of the latest issues I have had to deal with.
    The Peloponnese continues to fester as a thorn in our side as it has done for the last thirty years. Though most of the would-be revolutionaries have lived as Papal subjects their entire lives, their resolve has not waned an iota from the day of invasion. Urban's folly may have been a good way to garner the attention of Europe, but it has given us an ulcer that will end only with the Greeks and Italians going their separate ways whether by peaceful means or otherwise. I've spent most of the week trying to disentangle the mass of discriminatory laws in place for the Peloponnese that cause most of the Greek anger but it is a pile of contradictions, attacks and counterattacks that has accumulated over so many years as to be almost inscrutable. I have done the best that I can with the resources I have but my heart sinks if I try to think of the sheer volume of work that awaits me. And no end is yet in sight.
    Closer to home, the ranks of the army have filled up again drop by drop as the Milanese warm to our stewardship and begin to sign up for service. I was happy to note that Modena has also seen a swell of recruits thanks to their new archbishop without prior prompting from me. I will have to find out more about the fellow and send him a letter of thanks, it's always useful to get to know rising stars that might soon end up in the Curia. Besides this good news, I've stumbled on a roadblock while arranging the purchase of state-of-the-art artillery from France. Apparently, the republic does not like us very much so we will have to make do with what we have until the situation improves. I should really ask Callixtus to send someone there full time to sort out the situation because I cannot deal with the issue as much as I think it deserves.

CVERGmXl.png

Finally, I sent a letter of congratulations to the German Kaiser and the King of Bavaria on their recent union. They have flirted for a long while, but they have managed to finalize their agreement to have a single German nation. Rarely enough for such letters, I am genuinely impressed with their achievements: in a decade Germany has gone from a fractured mishmash of statelets into the dominant power on the continent. I wish something like that could happen for Italy as well. Our recent wars have made a simple diplomatic solution unfeasible at this point, but I must admit that the limited number of Italian powers always meant that each one could consider itself the potential head of a unified state. At this point, if it weren't for the Papacy's moral and religious authority, Piedmont would be considered as the most likely contender for the role of hegemon. They are blessed with a strong military and industry while being considered among the Great Powers of the world; their sole real weakness is their lack of strong allies. The Papal States are less fortunate in material advancement due to Innocent's innovations only arriving halfway through the century, but the Papacy is more well-loved by the other Italians and has a French titan in its corner. I can feel that a great war for the soul of Italy is on the horizon and one way or another I will have to deal with it in some way. And given Prussia's formation of Germany in similarly cataclysmic circumstances, I believe that their model will be a good basis for us. A strong Papal State at the center of Italy and perhaps someday Europe.
    But this talk is premature, and I must focus on the tasks at hand. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I sense that Callixtus grows fainter and fainter with each time I meet him. Each task he delegates to me brings further whispers of conclave. We shall have to see.

Chapter XXIX: Peace in Our Time?
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Luca Andreano

Sunday 16th of November 1873
    I thought my duties as cardinal would keep me in Rome for longer but any chance to visit London is a good one. It's been a few years since the last time I was here but it seems like all the important parts are the same with Simpson's and Rule's treating me to a serenade of roast and oysters. I even managed to re-connect with a few old friends and spend some time in humorous conversation about the good old days and checking how far everyone has managed to sneak into government. I left it to the last minute but I've managed to find time on Sunday to finally read my briefing on this Congress of London, the Ottoman part was clear enough from the start but I confess that it took me quite a while to find where the hell Mazovia is and then I began to wonder why anyone should care about it. The note from Callixtus said that I'm to befriend the other leaders and show the Papal States as the core of Italy, I suppose that someone will have to believe it though I expect the Savoyard ambassador will be belligerent in that field.
    I am unsure of which steps I will have to take next but it's certainly an advantage that France is not present at the table, busy as they are with their new republic, because it will leave me ample space to maneuver without the risk of a faux pas. Courtship of Germany is the obvious choice but I would not mind a closer relationship with the Russians even though it seems that these are mutually exclusive goals. As for the British, I don't expect that Gladstone will have much of a desire to associate with us peasants on the continent.
    I'm sure that the situation will be cleared up once the games begin and we can see which way the pendulum swings.

Friday 21st of November 1873
    The dinner at Algernon's estate was truly marvelous and blessed with a most exotic roster of guests. It is truly a great nation that allows the nobles to be members of parliament without all of the trouble the rest of us have to go through to enter into government. The feast allowed me to unwind a little after this week of labor which did at least provide a few interesting results.
    Things are not looking too good for the Ottomans as it seems that every man in Europe wants them off the continent and back into Asia. The British and Russians stare at maps of the Eastern Mediterranean like hungry wolves as they continue to add moves to their great game while Bismarck seems intent on leaving nothing in the Balkans to chance as the Turks melt away into history. The Austro-Hungarian Andrássy mostly seemed interested in Bosnia and hopped onto the bandwagon as soon as the tide of conversation made itself clear.
    As for us Italians, Visconti Venosta tried to talk the Russians into taking the Papal Peloponnese for Greece to allow for greater stability in the region, forgetting entirely that this is not a congress about the Balkans but about the Ottoman Empire. The scoundrel attempted to stroke Prince Gorchakov's ego with words of "such a pious man as the Tsar would surely be overjoyed with the person who provides him with a united Orthodox Greece". I was forced to counterattack and stop the Prince from dreaming, by pointing out that a large proportion of the population of the Peloponnese is made up of Italian Catholics and the Greeks of the region had not called for a resolution in their name. I then appealed to the British with implications that the Papal States could be a useful ally in the Mediterranean and a buffer against an over-eager Russia.
    In the end, the motion was dropped and we continued the work of carving up the Ottoman lands. Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, and Greece have managed to extend their domains over the Slavs that each of them claimed and have thus solidly fallen into the Russian orbit. The Turkish breakdown also included the creation of a Bulgarian Kingdom with a certain degree of international autonomy since the new nation will greet a German prince on the throne but also maintain its cultural and religious ties to the Tsar in Moscow. At that point the Sultan was left with only a small exclave on the Adriatic that provided an awkward dilemma for the rest of us: the land was of no interest to any major power but allowing it to remain in the Empire would have negated the whole pretext of protecting the Balkans from the Ottoman decay. The customary German prince was suggested but it seems that that option had overstayed its welcome with Bulgaria being a large enough prize and so, as no other monarch had expendable relatives, it was decided that the Beylik of Albania would be made into an autonomous princedom under a local ruler to be chosen by the Albanians themselves.

pgA01Scl.png

With the responsibility firmly handed over to someone else, our merry band of plotters melted away into separate parties where more pleasant negotiation can be taken into account. I personally took advantage of my friendly peers and floated around among several British ministers and managed to gain a bit of useful information for the next days. The common idea is that though Gladstone has no intention of forging any long-term alliances, the cabinet will be damned if Russia does not let the Poles go now that it has managed to spread into the Balkans. Extreme options were threatened but I trust that there will be no need for arms given our diligent work on the Ottomans.
    Now I find myself forced by the drink to return speedily to bed and we shall see on Monday how dearly the Poles wish to gain their independence.

Sunday 13th of September 1874
    The pleasant reunions of the last year have vanished like snow in spring as the participants became certain that war was inevitable. It's quite a shame as well because for the longest time it looked as if everything would work out and a small independent Poland would be created under British protection. We worked for months on which little town should be on which side of the border, I was even called to speak with regards to provisions relative to Poland's position as a Catholic country and its relation with its Orthodox minorities. But in the end, it was Skierniewice that broke us, the Russians claimed that it was an essential city for their control over their border with Germany but the opposition claimed that it would be too great a threat to have a Russian base only a few kilometers outside of Warsaw. The talks then stalled and the Austro-Hungarians jumped at the chance to wash their hands of the whole thing and leave the conference. As the words became more and more heated I did my best to calm everyone's spirits but, given that the only Catholics present were the Piedmontese and the Poles, I was not able to gain much success. Visconti Venosta even unilaterally placed his nation in support of the German provision in a clear bid for recognition. Fortunately for Italy, Bismarck barely acknowledged this empty gesture and verbally besieged Gladstone with the specter of Russia's dominion over Central Asia and Constantinople if they were not stopped in their ambitions at this juncture. Prince Gorchakov shouted back that Russia would not be dictated to by German upstarts and that the British should be very careful to not become their puppets.
    The audacity of that statement grated with the Briton and he sided with the Iron Chancellor to teach the Tsar a lesson in respect. Not only that, but the original goal of a Polish Mazovia was transformed into an ultimatum of full independence for Poland by Monday upon threat of war. The Russian then stormed out of the room shouting that they were bluffing and would not dare do such a thing because they would be scattered like every past foreign invader of Russia.

iWAoTRRl.png

In the end, I was the last left in the room with a handful of miscellaneous clerks to whom I asked to put on the record that the Papal States were opposed to such a conflict and would endeavor for peace. I have no illusions that this was nothing more than a gesture but, after all, I was only here as an observer and the real players lie far from Rome. Germany especially is a cause of both concern and aspiration for Europe since a great power of that magnitude in the heart of the continent can be a great boon or terrible danger to each of us. And to think that this came out of a ragtag group of minor nations that no one could ever remember. Of course, I have been thinking on the matter of Italy and its place in this new world of colossal Empires and I feel that Gioberti and the neoguelphs had made a fair point, the Pope should preside over a united peninsula with the existing kings firm in their role in local government. This would allow us to punch above our weight in international politics and preserve our Catholic roots against the onslaught of communists and atheists that are so popular in certain circles. Speaking of which, I even briefly met that Marx fellow at a social gathering a few months ago and I'm sure he did not recognize me as a man of God because he leapt into such a tirade against religion that I myself felt dirty for having witnessed it. A positive is that he scoffed at the Peloponnesian peasant's claims to follow communism as, in his mind, they were deceived by nationalist reactionaries aiming to take advantage of them and the lack of an urban proletariat precluded revolution from that land. This whole matter will be something that has to be addressed sooner or later, I don't know if it warrants a letter to Callixtus himself but Cardinal Felicetti's thoughts seemed to be along the same lines so I should certainly start with him.
    Now it has become late and I would do best to sleep a little before I begin my trip back to Rome.
    Oh, will you look at the time, it's already Monday and the war has begun.

Chapter XXX: Bella Horrida Bella
  • From the personal diaries of Pope Callixtus IV

Sunday 3rd of May 1874
    I have finally come to accept the unacceptable, bloodshed is necessary for the survival of the Papal States. I tried to bring peace to my country, but it seems that the world does not wish to leave us alone. I have already committed two wars that have caused the death of tens of thousands of my subjects and more than twice as many rivals. Despite this carnage, I have decided that, if we are to resist Piedmont's advance, we will need to bring the Two Sicilies into the fold. Apulia would be a good start since the region contains a significant amount of their population and industry and would provide welcome ports towards Greece. I have sent out agents to stir up tension in the region and build local support among the peasants and minor nobility. I expect that we shall obtain the necessary justification for the occupation within a few months.
    These cynical and impure thoughts are painful to write but I must remember that my actions are for the greater good. I can only hope that the new French Republic will perceive the scene in the same way as I do, I don't think I could bear another vicious war on my soul. I want the struggle to be over before it has had the chance to draw too much blood.
    For now, I will not think of such things. I will take a long walk as I wait.

e5WRcG3l.jpg

Monday 2nd of November 1874
    My initial regrets about the coming conflict are building with every piece of news I receive from the Two Sicilies. The agents I sent lacked discretion and word of their presence started to spread, with France, in particular, having sent a formal complaint with a warning against further action. I almost broke down then, but I still hold out hope that an election might change their position. The Duosicilians themselves have tightened their security on the border and have been spotted executing military exercises in Apulia and off the coast of Sicily.
    I sent orders for extreme caution with the agents already present but today I felt the nauseating sting of disappointment once more. One of my men was arrested during an attempted meeting with some aristocrats in Bari and was found to be carrying forged documents and leaflets to be distributed to the citizenry.
    The shame I feel is immeasurable.
    I do not know if I should continue with this venture. It is wrong in the eyes of the international community and blunder after blunder has shown that I am not striving for peace in the region. That said, I know well why I started this whole sordid business. Piedmont encroaches every day more and even now they whisper into the ears of King Francesco that a referendum for annexation would be the best option. I wake up every morning and wince at the thought that it may be the day that I find myself surrounded. Maybe this is what Urban was thinking in his time: an unjust war to ensure the survival of the Church.
    Will I create another Greece? With its endless cycle of bombings and protests matched by brutality and suppression? I cannot know. Lord, why have you chosen such a poor servant to guide your people? I am not worthy of this great burden you place upon me.
    I cannot let these thoughts get to me. I must reach the end of the path I have begun. Posterity may damn me, but this is what I must do.

Tuesday 23rd of February 1875
    Everything was ready for my final act of war, but this long-suffered plan has fizzled out into nothing. We had received assurances and a formal request from local power brokers in Apulia to come and rescue them from the Duosicilian misgovernance, but this spark was drowned. Due to the blunders of last year, both the Two Sicilies and Piedmont had begun to amass troops on our border, in reaction I wrote letters to France and Sicily with entreaties to join in the fight and preserve the balance of powers in Italy. The responses were similar enough that I suspect the French had a good hand in writing both of them and the verdict was as I had feared. The balance of powers was not in their interest as long as war stood upon the scales. The declaration by the Apulians was certainly not as spontaneous as the Piedmontese referenda but had been forced upon gullible people by unscrupulous Papal agents who had been caught in the act several months ago. Any act of aggression on our part would be met with a breaking of the French alliance.
    I suppose that's that then. The conflict has been averted despite all my attempts to the contrary. I would be lying if I said I am not relieved but there is a bitter taste in my mouth. I have appeared as an unscrupulous warmonger on the world stage without even reaping the rewards that may come with such a judgment. I could take this as a sign that I had taken the wrong path and peace is the best option after all, but I don't know if I believe that entirely. I am now left to wait for the next opportunity to present itself while I fight off those who would welcome Piedmont as overlord to the Peninsula.
    It is so tiring.
    I think it will do me well to retire to the countryside and rest for some time. Cardinal Lisi was my choice for Pope, and he has served me with unwavering loyalty all these years. He will govern in my stead as I recover my strength. I cannot step down from the cross, but some vinegar will do to sate my thirst for now.

Chapter XXXI: The Conclave of 1875
  • SdM5Gvtl.png

Callixtus IV Exit

Callixtus IV died on the 29th of September 1875 after having guided the Church to become the preeminent power in Italy. However, as he himself realized, this had not come without cost as the rest of Europe was forced to take a side on the issue of Italian unification under a theocracy. In France especially, those of republican inclinations often voiced their opposition to the Papal alliance and contributed to the fraying of this relationship that had lasted for half a century.
    Another factor for which Callixtus’ papacy is remembered is that of his industrial policy and the expansion of this sector from a small operation of about twenty thousand workers in 1860 to one hundred and twenty thousand in 1875. This exponential increase can be understood in terms of the pope’s expansion into the heavily industrial region of Lombardy, but this would only provide a partial answer. Callixtus had long had an interest in the potential of the new technology in his younger years and there is ample evidence for serious investments made in the sector to keep the fledgling state competitive with its more established neighbors.
    However, the main legacy of this pontiff will always be his extensive social reforms and the First Vatican Council which, despite modifications from Vatican II and Vatican III, remains the bedrock of the modern Catholic Church. The embracing of modernity in a time when traditional religious institutions were seeking stability was unexpected and widely commented on in the circles who understood its implications. A Church that embraced innovation rather than merely choosing to tolerate it is one of the factors that saw foreign observers prefer the Papacy to some of the more conservative Italian powers of the time.
    The institution of a partial conciliarism on the model of the Council of Constance was revolutionary in Catholic theology with the end of a religiously autocratic Catholic Church and the inauguration of what some call the “Papal Principate”. Though the research is still inconclusive, it appears that this decision convinced many protestants, especially in Mitteleuropa, to convert in numbers not seen in recent memory.
    This is to say that Callixtus is often indicated as the architect of Papal Italy and, though he was not wholly successful, he features frequently on lists of the most influential popes in history.
    The conclave succeeding his death is characterized as a rather mysterious affair where even those closest to the Curia did not properly understand how the election moved, but what is certain is that backroom deals were the order of the day and had a monumental effect on the future of Italy.

fpccrhal.jpg

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Annibale Lisi

Wednesday 13th of October 1875
    I still need to get used to the idea that Libero is gone and now, without him, the spotlight is on me alone. I passed from confusion to elation during the election today since I have been entrusted with a simple majority of the votes. I don't maintain any illusion that the election is over, but I know I need to now dedicate myself to the consolidation and expansion of my lead.
    Felicetti is second at the moment and he appeals strongly to those that want reform to slow down and return to a style of government more in line with their memories of Gregory. In the meantime, I stand in an opposite political position with the promise to build on Callixtus' legacy and propel the Papal States into the world of tomorrow. In the middle lie a couple of minor candidates with few votes and these are the people that I must rally to my side. I know that reform has not sat well with everyone and many are tired of war so I have to remind them of the great prosperity that a Callixtine agenda has brought and my preparedness for the job. For goodness' sake, I was acting Pope for the last six months and a close collaborator for almost a decade; if anyone is qualified that is me.
    But I need to be careful to not overstate my role, lest the cardinals think I already had my papacy and others should take the position now. I must prepare for a protracted conclave and make my moves with careful precision to ensure that another Callixtus might rise to the throne of Peter. In the morning I will approach the supporters of Formica and Andreano, the other two candidates appointed to the Curia in recent years, and see that they wish to maintain the current course.

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Giulio Felicetti

Thursday 14th of October 1875
    Today's counts have gone according to plan and we've managed to reduce Lisi's lead to nothing at all. Andreano accepted our little deal and has agreed to elevate my chosen cardinals upon his election in exchange for my share of the votes. In fairness, after a pontiff like Callixtus, it was always unlikely that I would be chosen as a successor but Andreano is traditional enough to be accepted by my followers while appealing to those cardinals who feel uneasy with Lisi's quasi-heretical ways.
    I pray to God that he may lead the Church away from the spiritual tribulations that it has faced in these years just as I endeavored to reverse the damage. I know in my heart that my efforts in this conclave will be successful, but I also understand that the Lord is showing us how hard we have to fight to ensure that the Church is not corrupted and cast into modern obscurantism.
    I take special care that this lesson is learned by any like-minded cardinals that they may understand what a great responsibility they are faced with. Some may have been seduced by Lisi's honeyed words, some by his heterodoxy while some merely by his experience. This last largest group is the one I must focus on. They need to see that a young shepherd is a much better choice than an experienced wolf who has shown in every one of his actions that he is no friend of the Church and just wants to bend it to the will of Socialists and atheists. We only need a third of Lisi's supporters and we can greet a new righteous pope, fewer still if we can crush little Formica and his non-entity voters. These, perhaps more than the radicals, are the greatest cancer within our mother Church because they join us only when they can achieve nothing with their noble status while they care little for faith or even God. The new pope will have to burn away this corruption and return the clergy to its true vocation.
    Sicut in caelo etiam in terra.

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Patrizio Formica

Friday 15th of October 1875
    I have gone to sleep every day more exhausted than the last. All of this politics really saps my strength with not much to gain on my side. I was ready to throw my weight, such as it is, behind Felicetti but then some mysterious backroom deal happened and now Andreano, young and green as he is, is the man against Lisi. Yesterday was a stalemate between the two but today a couple of the members of the Aviary Association shifted their votes to the long-serving grey eminence. Seeing how that shift has begun to take place, I see no reason to hold my pool in reserve anymore and I will move to endorse Andreano so that we may try the unknown moderate rather than the familiar radical. However, if each of my supporters chooses to follow my lead, Andreano will only have a paltry majority of one and that can change in a heartbeat. I'm sure Lisi is deep in the games he has invented in the past decade and will not give up the fight easily while I have no idea what the newcomer is thinking. Perhaps it is unwise to merely vote against someone without being sure upon whom we are deflecting power.
    I cannot deal with so much uncertainty for such an important position, I pray that this conclave will emerge with a strong victor and a Papacy that will do the least damage to the Papal States by allowing us to live in peace. And, who knows, it might not matter at all with Lisi either sitting on the throne or pulling the strings from behind the scenes regardless of the opinions of cardinals. That, at least, is mercifully out of my hands.

From the personal diaries of Cardinal Luca Andreano

Saturday 16th of October 1875
    Another inconclusive day. When this started, Felicetti offered his support in the hope that it would be a quick victory, but the election has dragged on since then with only a couple of votes changing hands. I fear that my moderation is tainted by Felicetti's aid and even moderate partisans of Lisi will be difficult to sway at this point.
    Despite how gloomy this might seem; I still firmly believe that I can break this deadlock and win the election. Though it has taken me an impressive amount of time, I have conversed with the most influential cardinals in detail to understand what they would want from me as pope and why they are still supporting Lisi. It turns out that many of them expect a short papacy to wrap up the loose ends that Callixtus left behind with his reforms and not a great leap ever forward. I did my best to remind them that Callixtus was a moderating influence on Lisi and if he were elected, he would not be content to curate someone else's legacy but would cast us far into the unknown.
    I felt a spark of hope when I managed to make some of them waver in their conviction and ask me if I would collaborate with Lisi if I were to win the election. I, of course, remained noncommittal but I need to weigh that option carefully: the man is fifteen years my senior and is unlikely to outlast me, it could be an acceptable sacrifice. I will think on this in the night, and I must make sure that Felicetti hears nothing of this, the last thing I want is for him to squander all this hard work.

Innocent XV
  • Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: habemus Papam! Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum Lucam Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Andreano, qui sibi nomen imposuit Innocentem Quintum Decimum

Chapter XXXII: King of Kings and Lord of Lords
  • From the personal diaries of Pope Innocent XV

OTW77Wbl.jpg

Friday 12th of January 1877
    I had agreed to today's meeting mostly out of curiosity for why Kings Girolamo and Francesco wanted to meet with me in Terracina of all places. Now I can't believe how well it played out! Through covert and explicit signals, it has become clear that the king of Sicily finds himself alone and set adrift without his imperial cousin to support him while the king of the other Two Sicilies is in an enormous amount of debt and with some form of revolution at his door. I've also managed to find old reports directed to Callixtus that indicate that he had gathered significant support among Apulian magnates for a Papal invasion of the region. With all of this information into account, I expected that there might be a request for an alliance guarantee or some large loan, but things became clearer when they knelt for a bit too long upon meeting me. The suppliant kings did nothing less than offer their countries as an addition to the Papal States on a few limited conditions. The first one is that they would be able to maintain a degree of authority within their former borders, a fair enough request and something I can get Lisi to work on for me; secondly, they asked to have a say in the laws of the new state and finally, they asked for help in stamping out the rebellions and paying the debts they had accrued.
    Of course, I had to make a big show of humility and the usual, without letting this opportunity pass me by. In the end, I accepted the heavy burden they placed upon me with the required grace as soon as my own conditions were set. While I would happily embrace them into the Papal States, they could not seriously consider being treated as full equals of the pope and as such, they should accept that the sitting pope should have veto authority over any resolution passed in the new state, although the kings would be consulted in any important matters that come up. I did not continue too far into the minutiae of our agreement, but I simply gave them my word and my signature that their initial conditions would be respected as long as they respected my own. A more formal and binding constitution will have to be written up and, since this is not my strong suit, I can think of no better person for the task than Cardinal Lisi. He can see it as something to make up for the lost papacy, a gilded capstone to an already brilliant career. I'm sure he will enjoy himself.
    As for me, I invited my new subjects to a grand feast where we could eat, drink, and be merry before the inevitable discussions on technicalities ruin the atmosphere. I am quite impressed that despite the amount of wine that flowed there were no insults flung between the two kings about the rightful ownership of the island of Sicily; no, they were the image of propriety and never stepped out of line once. They must be truly desperate to set aside even the pettiest of differences. Speaking of which, I must talk to Francesco about the name of his kingdom: it was fine when he could hope to take back the island but now it's just ridiculous, he should call it Naples and be done with it so that we can start this state without meaningless names adding clutter to the already verbose constitution that Lisi will put out.
    Only little more than a year and I have already been blessed with this incredible boon. I admit that I was a bit worried about this role, but it seems that it suits me quite well and, after all, it's simply a matter of choosing the right people for the job and I certainly know people. I know that Victor Emmanuel will be livid at this news, he had draped himself in all the paraphernalia of a king of Italy and now he finds himself in a minority with vain claims to a realm much larger than his own. I pity the man, but I hope we can obtain some deal, there is plenty of space for kings under the papal tiara.

v4kt6JLl.png

Saturday 20th of July 1878
    The die has been cast and the army is on its way to Turin with the French on their way. I almost regret the Republic's involvement in the war since I don't want to give them any reason to presume that they might have some leverage on the new Italy, but I suppose that their armies will help us end the war before any other foreign powers have time to disagree with our unification.
    To think that it could have been so much easier. Victor Emmanuel had agreed to negotiations on the status of Piedmont-Sardinia in the greater Italian realm and we had almost reached an agreement with him having one third of the seats in whatever legislative assembly we would conjure up. The official treaty was being checked for loopholes by those so inclined when that fool decided to go out on a hunt and caught his death in cold. The newly minted Umberto IV of Savoy decided to inaugurate his reign by ripping up the deal we had obtained with such effort and proclaiming to all members of the international community that he would not submit to any foreign power.
    I tried to deal with my frustration by spending a pleasant evening with my fellow kings visiting in Rome and it soon became quite obvious that they were enthusiastic about the Savoyards joining the fold. I presume that this is more due to their desire to appear wise in their submission rather than a real belief in the Italian project though. I also feel that Francesco blamed them for his kingdom's economic woes, although I believe he can safely take responsibility on that front, given that Apulian industry is flourishing under the Papal umbrella. In any case, I ended the evening secure in the knowledge that annexation should be one of my chief options if I want Italy to succeed. Since I hadn't ever taken a decision of this magnitude before, I thought it prudent to converse, separately of course, with Cardinals Lisi and Felicetti. Here I received an enthusiastic endorsement once more with Felicetti urging me onwards and making allusions to Austro-Hungarian lands while Lisi's eyes glazed over as he salivated at the idea of writing an even more extensive constitution.
    As such, I decided to issue a proclamation that Umberto could not be considered a just ruler if he was so eager to break treaties and, according to the words of the Vatican Council, it is the Pope's duty to take stewardship over the Western parts of Italy and bring order to the region. In the last few days, the Savoyard clergy has agitated for annexation but were brutally suppressed by the king which gave me no choice but to issue a stark response. In light of these recent events, I was forced to declare war on the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont to ensure the security of all Italians.
    And so, I have declared my first war and I just hope that the excitement of it peters off lest I become addicted to the thrill. I don't expect the conflict to be difficult especially with the newly recruited Army of the South and its fifty-thousand men added to our previous forces. I have given orders to take Tuscany first and only then to aim for the capital. This will be a long few months reading battle reports but I'm sure that the end result will be worth it.

Monday 25th of November 1878
    Today was a hugely eventful day and I am left dazed and pressed against my chair by stale anxiety. The morning was extremely pleasant to start with since I received reports of the fall of Tuscany to our forces and general Caraga's occupation of Alessandria which brings us only a couple of days' march from Turin itself. With this success added to the pile, I can think of nothing ill to say about this endeavor. So far, we have won three major victories against the enemy and each at a reduced cost in lives and Armando Caraga has revealed himself to be an excellent addition to our armed forces despite his youth. The day began to sour when I received a report that the French had beaten us into Turin and, despite that, they managed to let the king escape with the government all the way to Sardinia where we will be forced to give chase. Despite this shift in focus, I have still ordered Caraga to place his own garrison in Turin to make sure that there are no surprises during the peace talks as has happened before with the French.
    As soon as I had finished these provisions, I received a formal letter from the Austro-Hungarian embassy with a message from the Emperor himself filled with threats against us if we are to continue with the war. I hoped for a nice relaxing afternoon, but I saw it shatter before me and I had an aid call Cardinal Felicetti to discuss our next steps. His reaction shocked me a little as he made a big show of how glad he was that we had been threatened. He explained that he could not think of a better way to prove ourselves on the world stage than swatting away the pretenses of a Great Power on its way out. So, far from aiming for conciliation, we wrote a response that can be loosely summed up as "You wouldn't dare and even if you did you would regret it" but fortunately Felicetti had a more formal way of writing it up.
    And that is the current situation, given the rapid collapse of the Savoyards an Austro-Hungarian invasion could be promptly met but I do hope that we will manage to end one war before another has to start. Now my eyes are heavy, and my mind is lost in fog so I shall head to my sleep and hope that the world will be clearer tomorrow.

Friday 27th of December 1878
    Cagliari has fallen and the war is almost over. There is nowhere left for Umberto to escape and we are in talks with Prince Amedeo, who seems to have some negotiating power, while his brother still evades us. This means that in the early days of January we will be able to ratify the final unification of Italy. Of course, the post-war situation is a bit in the air right now since we have not yet made a final decision on the status of the former Sardinian territories. Lisi is working day and night on a solution to that but, for now, I need to turn my gaze to the East and take control of the Alpine passes. Clearly, Franz was not bluffing and has sent us a final ultimatum to leave our newly occupied lands or they will force us to do so.
    The day was taken up by discussions with the French ambassador who brought me the news of Cagliari and it was a painful discussion throughout. He let me know in no uncertain terms that President MacMahon was on his way out and soon there would be a much less favorable government in place. He could only guarantee support for Italy in a defensive war that would not result in any territorial annexations. I tried to protest that the Austro-Hungarians hold many lands that are populated by a majority of Italians, but he would not hear of it. I had no choice but to accept his conditions; however, something must be done about France's flagging support for our cause. Cardinal Felicetti has long advocated for German overtures and I think it is time that I finally give him the satisfaction, he certainly won't be happy about the no-annexations clause.
    But now is a time for celebrations, I will summon the other kings for a triumphal banquet and let others worry about the future while we enjoy our victory.

ZfQXQKHl.png

Chapter XXXIII: The Lying Name of Empire

Monday 3rd of February 1879
    I had hoped that the first day of the conference might relieve a little of the boredom accumulated in the last few days, but I suppose I was mistaken. The day's proceedings consisted mostly of the main players sizing each other up and lobbing backhanded compliments at each other in the hopes of gaining a minute advantage at the negotiating table. Bismarck, the man of the hour, just passed me by with a nod carefully calculated to be the bare minimum acknowledgment possible and then flew over to Sir Edward Malet to compliment him about the sheen of his buttons or some other suitably British thing. The only man who had the decency to stop by and ask after the Pope was Beñomar who brought me the greetings of King Alfonso and wished me a good conference. The rest of the day was really more of the same, I would just chase after the refreshments in the hope of seeming busy and then shuffle around without making eye contact and trying to find a gap in the circles of ambassadors where I could occasionally chuckle or offer some mumbled comment of approval.
    I hated every moment of the charade and I can't believe I have to spend two months here in talks about who-knows-which god-forsaken land in the middle of Africa. I didn't even receive much of an assignment from Innocent, just "report back any important decisions" which I presume means "let me know who is shouting at whom and how loud". My comfort here is that it feels like Innocent wants to give me one last job before I permanently retire and, with everything going on back in Italy such as constitutions and the war, he had many worse options available.
    I suppose I better get my rest now; I need to make the most of the time I have to myself these days.

cCXM4BVl.jpg

Thursday 20th of February 1879
    Finally, a change of pace that I can write home about. The last weeks of staring at maps while others wink and make contented sounds at the stroke of a ruler did absolutely nothing to gain my attention. My greatest achievement in this time was the realization that the tiles on the ceiling are slightly larger than those on the floor to account for perspective, so not much of a fun time.
    Nonetheless, today our dear host Bismarck gave us quite a show for the sake of some forgotten deserts in Somaliland and Hereoland. The British ambassador, Malet, had been arguing with the Chancellor for a while that these regions were of vital interest to Indian Ocean shipping and surely the German Empire would not wish to burden itself with such disconnected provinces that would give it no advantage. Bismarck shot back that the only way Britain had ever left Europe was through the acquisition of "disconnected provinces that would give it no advantage" and it was about time for other nations to make their mark on savage land. Malet replied that Britain needed these colonies to ensure its access to India, but Bismarck would not be dissuaded and became redder and redder to the point that a couple of aides were exchanging glances to see if they might need to physically restrain the towering man from his British counterpart.
    Unfortunately for, well everyone I suppose, the discussion ended in a status quo with Germany maintaining its colonies in the two regions and Great Britain maintaining its unsanctioned ports just out of eyeshot. In the aftermath of the meeting, I noticed the iron chancellor sneaking away while offering a fat cigar of the highest quality to Courcel who seemed reluctant at first but accepted the offer nonetheless. This might also be worth a report, but I might just wait a few more sessions to see if a true accord is made.
    I think tomorrow we'll start to deal with the Portuguese claims in East Africa, but I expect it to be a calm enough day since they have a historic presence in the region and there isn't really a valid justification for major changes. Here's hoping that I'll have the chance to witness another day of theater.

Wednesday 12th of March 1879
    God, I can't stand that Karl, I knew that he would be frustrating, but I hadn't anticipated quite how much. Today we had to talk about the Inner Congo and what is to be done with that uncharted land of which we really only have an approximate size and nothing more. Everyone knew that this territory had been de-facto claimed by the King of Sweden's African Association for the Civilization of the Congo and there was uncertainty over whether to accept this claim or divide up the land among the triad of France, Germany, and Britain. Though I was not privy to further details, I heard rumors that the three powers had attempted to reach a deal on this question in the past weeks, but negotiations had broken down over the possession of some river or other landmark and the last meeting had ended with someone, the identity of which changed from telling to telling, storming out in a rage with no lack of profanity.
    Today's meeting lent credibility to the rumors from the offset when Bismarck, Malet, and Courcel proposed in unison that the Inner Congo should be assigned to King Karl's humanitarian association for the enlightenment of the savages. In their harangue, they stated that, because Sweden-Norway had kept itself removed from broader European politics since the Congress of Vienna, its King would be a prime candidate to hold this land in trust without fear that he might fall on one side in the future.
    With the three largest players so aligned, the vote for approval went through without much real opposition. Sure, I did my part and relayed Innocent's opinion that Belgium or Portugal should be granted the region, but the proposal predictably fell on deaf ears and ended with my token objection to the original motion.
    The end of the day brought the conclusion of another conflict that had begun to flare up between the big three but this time it appears that a compromise was reached at Britain's expense. The regions in question were Cameroon, Gabon, and Outer Congo with the expectation of future expansion to the North of the Swedish Congo. In the end, with backroom deals far from my eyes, Germany took Cameroon, and France the remainder while Britain was outvoted at every step until Malet's look of shock and anger became an anticipated moment of levity for me.
    Despite my initial skepticism, the conference has turned into a genuine amusement even if it is only as a passive observer. The play of glances and comments that can be interpreted in a bouquet of ways and require involved decoding are laid out in front of me as a rebus of continental proportions. I don't lose sleep over the British being rebuffed especially since they managed to secure claims on most of Africa; in any case, I'm surprised that the Germans and French could reconcile so quickly after the war, but I imagine that the Colonies are worth but an Alsace-Lorraine.

Saturday 29th of March 1879
    We have reached a final decision on the Franco-British border, but I don't think it will do anyone any good. Even though we have been wrapped in discussion for weeks over who has the right to own Outer Hausaland and the Upper Volta, I suspect that there is a Penelope unstitching the agreement every night. First, we started with a river then we found that the maps of the river were insufficient, so we moved to hills and mountains but found that the region has few of these features, none of which of strategic importance. The only possible method was then to improvise with Malet and Courcel exhibiting themselves in mental acrobatics as they attempted to justify their claim on this patch of desert or fallow land. All the while, I noticed Bismarck making little asides to different minor ambassadors and even myself at one point. Though I can't quite remember the exact words, it was something to the effect that Malet reminded him of a camel trying to drink in every last drop of desert as if his life depended on it. Today the dispute was finally settled in the most unsatisfying way possible for all parties when our Prussian friend managed to gain approval for a preliminary border halfway between British and French claims with the eventual possibility of review after an expedition is sent to the region. Everyone knows what that means, but war later is better than war now with all conference members involved.
    I think we're all tired of Berlin and we will benefit from a return to our homes and business as usual. I'm looking forward to the next conure breeding season and I'll be back just in time to plan which morphologies I should aim for in the next generation.

ArssliU.png

Africa After the Berlin Conference, disputed areas striped.​

Author’s note:
    Cardinal Formica retired in April of 1879 and died peacefully only ten months later and is still today honored by the Italian Aviary Association with a plaque in their Roman headquarters.
    Regarding his political contributions, he is a little-known cardinal from the pre-unitary period and is usually mentioned for his poor performance during the ’69-’70 war against the Kingdom of Sardinia.
    His most significant positive contributions are in the medical field where he implemented the details of Pope Callixtus’ healthcare reforms by inaugurating the first national vaccination in the Papal States.

Chapter XXXIV: It’s a Long Way to Piemonte
  • From the correspondence of Corporal Luigi Ughetto

UyWUwBVl.png

Alba, 10 February 1879
    Dearest Tina,
    I'm sorry it took so long to send you a letter, I've barely had a moment to myself with all the training. The Romans seem awfully worried about this war and they want every one of us in Austria next month already. I had counted myself lucky to miss out on the fighting when the Romans came in with their French friends but, now that we've lost, I suppose I don't have much of a choice left. On the bright side, I met Pinin (you know the one, he moved to Alba a while ago and gave us that fancy dresser) and we got on famously, we really should invite him over for dinner after this is over. Unfortunately, we're not in the same platoon but we cross paths often enough so that's good news to me.
    I remember that you told me to write where we would be heading but the sergeant said that we can't give that sort of information in letters so the best I can say is that we'll head East until we find the Krauts and make them to back off. In any case, we'll leave soon and we should meet up with the fancy soldiers all the way from Torino. I even heard that the new king might see us off, that would be quite the sight, especially since we didn't even have time to see his brother on the coins.
    I have to go now to prepare the baggage but give a kiss to Perin for me and you can show him this letter so he can practice his reading.
    Always yours,
    Vigin

ODsxjR0l.jpg

Treviso, 1 March 1879
    Dear Tina,
    It's been a long and tiring series of train rides, but we are finally at the last camp before we head off into Austrian lands. Now, I know you said you're worried, but you wouldn't believe how many men are here ready to fight on our side. It may sound crazy, but Pinin reckons that we have almost twice as many soldiers as people live in Turin. It starts to become more real after you meet people coming all the way from Sicily and you can only understand a word or two of what they're saying. I was talking with some of the boys from my platoon and they told me I should watch my wallet around those Neapolitans, so I made sure to be extra careful whenever I happen to see them pass by. I have to say, I feel a bit like a boat in the forest with these strange types out and about, but I suppose it's nice to have a common uniform to tie us together a little bit. We're lucky that our lieutenants are mostly good Piedmontese folk because I don't think I could react quickly to the Romans giving orders, but I guess that the officers are required to speak Italian to communicate with the higher-ups. Even the Pope sends us messages of encouragement in Italian so I'm doing my best to learn. It's nice to know that Perin will learn some of the language in school as well.
    Anyway, we'll be here for a few more days and I hope to have your answer by then, but you can keep sending your mail here since this is where they'll keep it for us until we find the next safe place to make camp. I hope that running the shop isn't too hard on you and make sure to ask the Ferreros for help if it gets too straining. I'll do my best to return home as soon as I can.
    Yours from the front,
    Vigin

Gorizia, 12 March 1879
    My darling Tina,
    It's wonderful to be able to write to you at last since the past few days have been a terrible affair. I'm thankful that you managed to light a candle for me at the Madonna's sanctuary because I think that's what saved me from a couple of close calls yesterday. I'd like you to return one of these days and give thanks on my behalf, I'll give my own thanks when I get back home.
    The good news is that we've finally made it to the city of Gorizia even though we've had a hell of a time getting here. I imagine it's a charming town when it's not being shelled, but our men had to do some pretty rigorous bombing with the artillery to push the Austrians out, they were dug in like you wouldn't believe. I must confess that while the guns went quiet, and the lieutenant gave us the signal to go for the city I did get quite scared. It's a marvel how slippery your rifle becomes if you're anxious, but I tried my best to think of my duty and do what I'm told. I was lucky to meet Pinin before the push and the daft fellow said he would race me to the town, that lifted my spirits a bit and it still makes me smile to think of it (He won the "race" in the end, my side took a while to push past a bridge the Krauts were holding on to). I'm glad we can now rest for some days while the general makes his plans, although I don't look forward to dealing with the bodies left behind, I'd cross myself whenever I pass them but there's far too many to recognize in the worst parts.
    Oh, we've also started to mingle more with the southerners and most of them are good enough people. You would laugh if you saw us chatting though, we look like a band of Gariboja talking as slow as possible to make sense of our words. I'm getting along well with a lad called Luca, he says he's a fisherman down in Sicily and he's hoping to help his family with a debt once he comes home. It'd be nice to have him over for dinner someday as soon all this is done, I'm sure you'd get along.
    How are things in Monchiero? I've read that Tilda is helping out with the shop so thank her on my behalf as well, I haven't seen her husband, but I'll give you any news whenever I get any. I'm happy to hear that Perin is behaving and his signature on your last letter gave me the widest smile I've had in weeks.
    Let me know how you've been doing, and I'll try and write to you again if I have the chance, we should be in the area for a few weeks still.
    Yours sincerely,
    Vigin

2rnXBZUl.jpg

Adelsberg, 3 July 1879
    Dear Tina,
    It's been a rotten few weeks but at least we get to send and receive mail today although the bloody rain will find a way to ruin that too, I hope this letter isn't too smudged. We've been stuck in our defensive trenches around the town of Adelsberg pushing back attack after attack of the enemy and we've lost about half of our men with no end in sight. Luca says he heard from an officer that the Austrians are close to a retreat but I'm not sure I fully believe that. Even if that's true, we're heavily outgunned and the Krauts shell us every hour of the day and night and there's nothing we can do but hide away and wait for the next assault. It might sound strange, but I often find myself bored out of my mind here; sure, there's constant danger but there's nothing to do except watch and wait. I chat with Luca every once in a while and we tell stories of home but there's only so much you can say after weeks of nothing. When the rain first started to fall, we all welcomed it as something new to experience but I now definitely would prefer to be bored and dry rather than bored and wet. You may have noticed that I haven't written about Pinin but I wouldn't worry too much about him, the lucky sod was transferred south to Istria where he and his fellows can simply occupy a few poorly protected cities by the seaside. I was hoping I'd come to see the sea, but I'll have to wait a little more for that.
    I miss your hugs and your smiles but getting your letter is the best part of my weeks so I beg you to write with even the simplest difference. I'm happy to hear that you're in good health and I hope the summer sun is growing some fine grapes to give us a nice vintage for when I'm back. I'm sorry that Perin is a bit of a handful these days but I'm sure he just misses his father. Give him a kiss from me and tell him I'll bring him back something nice if he's a good boy.
    I can't write much longer because the postboy is leaving soon but know that I cherish you every day and I can't wait to return home at last.
    Forever yours,
    Vigin

Ragusa, 19 September 1880
    Dear Tina,
    We've finally made it to Ragusa and it's a wonderful sight. The Austrians had only a minor garrison and they surrendered almost as soon as we attacked; the rest of the day was just an improvised parade through the streets of the city. It brought tears to my eyes to see the cheering people waving Italian flags and every one of us was laughing and smiling because after so long the war is almost over. Even the officers decided to make it a special occasion by giving us the promotions that they'd held back during the march so you can call me Corporal Luigi Ughetto from now on. Needless to say, the rest of the day was spent in merriment with the Austrians and our worries far away.
    The celebration was a godsend for all of us, but I saw many strong hard men burst into tears after a few drinks and I don't blame them. I try not to worry you, but it has been a huge trial for each of us to have to fear for our lives every day and not know if we'd ever return home, but now we can finally hope. I can't believe I'll be able to come back to you in just a handful of weeks, after so many months of separation, and see how my son has grown up. I've finally seen the sea and it's so beautiful tonight.
    I will see you so soon my darling and even then, it won't be soon enough,
    God bless you,
    Vigin

Author's note:
    Corporal Luigi Ughetto was injured and lost his leg in the battle of Karolyvaros five days before the armistice. He was awarded the War Merit Cross for his service.

The Austro-Italian war ended in a decisive victory for the Italo-French side and resulted in the forced reduction of the Austro-Hungarian army, the payment of hefty reparations, and the creation of an independent Dalmatian state under the direct authority of Pietro Doimo Maupas, archbishop of Zadar.

Gh5wettl.png

• 1Love
    • 1Like
    Reactions:
    Chapter XXXV: From Architecture to Antiquities
  • From the personal diaries of Cardinal Alberto Pala

Saturday 12th of July 1879
    Turin seems to be prosperous under our new administration and things remain quiet even with most of the soldiers off in the East caught in their struggle with the Austrians. In my introductory tour of the city, I was shown a great many of its beauties and there was no lack of Italian flags waving and curious crowds gawking at the new papal legate. I was even honored with a vision of the Holy Shroud and given the possibility to gaze into the face of Our Lord; while I have seen many relics in my time, it is truly an honor to see one of Christ himself.
    Now that I am a little more settled in my quarters I have begun to deal with my official roles. I need to remind myself to be gentle with the pride of these people who long thought themselves masters of Italy but are now left in wait of a verdict on their ultimate fate. I briefly met king Amedeo and he seems to be a good Christian ruler, innocent of his brother's treachery; despite him being defeated I must do my best to treat him like the king he is.

jlJxembl.jpg

As for more ground-level matters, I've had a conversation with architect Alessandro Antonelli about how to continue his oeuvre. This building seems to have had a troubled past since it was started by Turin's Jewish community as a synagogue until they ran out of money and sold it to the city itself a few years back. Now, I'm called to choose which direction is best for this structure as the representative of the new administration. The past few years have set Antonelli on the path of constructing the tallest unreinforced masonry building in the World, even surpassing the great pyramids of Egypt. The passion that this architect has for his work despite his over eighty years of age is both remarkable and commendable, with such a man at the head, I'd be happy to provide the funds to complete the work while he still lives. As of now, the building is about half its final size and construction is underway on the second order what has been dubbed a "little temple" in the Greek style; past that, I've agreed with the architect that a spire to the top would be the most striking conclusion to the work. We had a bit of a discussion about what should go at the summit of this spire, Antonelli was partial to a star but I disagreed with the idea due to its more Savoyard connotations. As a counter, I suggested that the peak be topped by a bronze statue of Saint John the Baptist who can better represent the union between Rome and Turin in his dual role as patron of the city and as a prophet of Our Lord. I expected some significant pushback from him but he took off almost as if it were his own idea, sketching like a man possessed a model that I was most pleased with.
    Finishing up the building will cost us 33.000 dramme but it's well within what the Pope allowed me to use and it's well worth it since the economy is in excellent health despite our engagement in the Austrian war. Speaking of Italy, I will soon ready myself for a night of Opera at the Teatro Regio where I have been honored with a seat at the king's box, just beside Verdi himself. I think that my choice of Nabucco will be appreciated by the attendants, sure it's a bit of an old play but I think that it's the best way to exemplify Italian unity and freedom from foreign oppression. I must remember to properly praise King Amedeo and make sure to not insult his and his people's pride accidentally but I have full confidence that it will be an amicable and jovial affair.
    I'm looking forward to the performance.

Thursday 7th of October 1880
    Firstly, it is with great happiness that I can note the end of the Austrian War and the final confirmation of the unity of Italy. I have read that the conflict was quite hard-fought but we've managed to humble the Austrians who derided us for centuries and free the Dalmatian people from their oppressors. I need to plan out some formal celebration in Naples as I'm sure that there will be plenty of goodwill for Italy's first united success and the return of her brave sons.
    With that out of the way, these days have also been eventful for my visits to the ancient cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. I had of course read of the story of the place and Pliny the Elder's untimely fate but I had not truly understood the magnitude of the site itself. The preliminary studies I commissioned have given an estimation of one-tenth of the size of modern Rome which is astonishing in terms of the treasures that we could uncover as the digs proceed. I must note that we have proceeded far beyond the mere grave robbing done decades or even centuries ago as we have begun to use modern scientific methods to properly understand the life of the local population when some of the apostles still lived. The head archaeologist here is the native Neapolitan Giuseppe Fiorelli and he has been painstaking in his explanations to me as to why it is important that the position of each artifact is meticulously reported and how we can learn much not only from artifacts made of gold and jewels but also from the mundane tools that the common folk use every day because they are what truly connects us to that time. I was given a grand tour of the exposed areas of the city and I even looked on as a new insula was being uncovered bit by bit, but Fiorelli was most excited to present me with his brainchild, about which I had some reservations. He supposed that the bodies of the wretched inhabitants of the city will have wasted away under the ash but the space that their frames once occupied should be empty; following this train of thought, he decided to fill these cavities with plaster to extract the shape of the deceased. I was presented with one of these gruesome statues when it was first extracted and I confess that I held tight to my crucifix because, despite these people being all presumably pagans, this process feels oddly sacrilegious. I voiced my apprehensions but Fiorelli explained that human forms are not the only ones that are privy to this treatment but also plants and wooden artifacts that would have otherwise been lost; all in the service of producing as clear a picture of the past as possible.

UMTKR1Nl.png

The rest of the day proceeded much as it had started among the buildings of a lost world and, as we were about to take our leave, Fiorelli asked me if I would be amenable to opening the site to the public, for a fee of course. I told him that I had no particular opposition to that development but, in exchange, I would like him to help me with my development of the new National Museum in Rome; the project is in an advanced state but I could do much worse for a curator of Classical Antiquities. Fortunately, I received a gracious acceptance and now I only need to decide the broader details of how the collection should be set out.
    I am mainly concerned about the so-called Secret Cabinet that King Francesco seemed quite eager to give over to us. When I visited the place, I soon came to realize that this eagerness was due to the room being exclusively filled with pornographic material extracted from earlier digs at Pompeii and Herculaneum. And when I say pornographic I do not merely mean the depiction of sexual acts between men and women but with members of the same sex, men and animals, and grotesque individuals with monstrous proportions in their pudenda; this, more than anything, shows how far we've come since the time of pagan debauchery. I felt faint at this display and ready to relegate these obscenities to the obscurity to which the Bourbons had chosen to consign them but today's visit with Fiorelli has given me a change of heart. I want to be clear that these objects should not be freely available to the public but it would not be unreasonable to allow access to scholars of mature age and respected morals with the purpose of granting a clearer picture of the distant past. I know that some may object to this categorically but there must be a reason if these artifacts have survived the millennia and hiding them for everyone would be as good as destroying them, and it is always a great sin to destroy art, no matter how objectionable. One hopes that the museum in Rome will have simpler decisions and less questionable material.
    Having said this, my day is not yet done as I must visit the Vesuvian Observatory that we recently refurbished and I will be told how exactly these people intend to predict future eruptions of the volcano. I am quite fortunate to have such an eventful assignment.

Monday 21st of February 1881
    I could not have hoped for a better inauguration to the National Roman Museum. The amount of work involved in the preparation was quite significant but I'm happy to see that the effort has been recognized and this evening was a pure celebration with the most influential people in Rome. The pope himself attended and thanked me profusely for the work before giving his compliments on the organization of the various exhibits. I was also accosted by a number of other cardinals and emissaries of the kings in Italy who asked my opinions on the state of the nation in a way that made me think each expected a precise answer in their own direction. I tried my best to brush these probes off because I have no intention of having my good work be co-opted for a cause that I do not believe in, but I'm unsure whether I succeeded in my neutrality.
    Speaking of the work, I have the greatest appreciation for the help of Giuseppe Fiorelli from Naples and Giovanni Battista de Rossi from here in Rome. With one curating the Roman antiquities and the other the Apostolic ones, I could not have hoped for better collaborators in this endeavor. Fiorelli has gotten plenty of experience back South but, while de Rossi was a relative novice in the field, he managed to bring his immense experience to bear with only some gentle guidance to stop him from constructing a temple to epigraphy. In the end, we managed to construct an exhaustive timeline from the foundation of Rome itself to the Donation of Sutri, with each room after Peter's arrival displaying the parallel lives of the emperors and the popes. I'm especially proud of the Constantinian chamber where enlightenment, at last, arrived to the ancient city and, it can be argued, began the temporal power of the Papacy that we can see today.

q7naPH2l.jpg

Now, with peace rampant in all of Italy, I'm sure that this grand display will be properly appreciated and visited from every corner of the country as we realize the magnitude of what joins us. I wish a thousand of these years on our young country!

• 1Like
    Reactions: