• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I - The rule of Demaratus Demaratid
  • This is me. I'm a Ruler. I lead people. And Rhodes. Someday Rhodes will be great, and I will be to thank for it. I promise! Pinky swear!
    M8UYqO6.png

My term is five years long. After building lots of boats (I love boats!), and some soldiers, I sent them to Crete. We've got friends there, on Crete. I asked them and they said yes! But some advisor said they wanted to take the city I wanted and was about to. So I said, "I'll take it without a Casus Belli! I said so. It worked. My friends helps me. And MY soldiers came there first! But the people on Rhodes thought me silly. I am NOT silly!
    mSqwsTv.png

Then, as we were sieging, some friends on Crete decided to ask for help to take another city. I said yes. I hope I can get that city too.
    aKyhq9H.png

But before I could get my city, my term was up. I had to give the Archon title to my general. He is a nice guy. The soldiers like him. I like him too.

Chapter II - The Rule of Aristobulos Demaratid
  • *sigh*
    Kids... I am the Archon. I command a mighty army. You better give me respect. R-E-E-S-P-E-C-K-T.

What?

I'll have you head, kid!

drpQT6W.png

Anyways. We won the war. Took the city. And got money for it. No land. The stupid kid, he didn't wait for a claim. Our allies had a claim. Can't have future targets take land and get stronger. So, money. Just you wait.

dpamf5q.png

I didn't waste time though. Made a claim on Knossos. Turns out my grandma's brother's cousin was king. Or something.

8J5V6oy.png

War was won handily enough. Only one claim, stupid allies had other claims. Didn't get them far, though. Took Knossos, some gold, and released a city. To be consumed later.

dE2IyHo.png

Then my term was up. Stupid ulcers.

Chapter III - The Rule of Dikaiarchos Demaratid
  • Ah! The smell of money - of opportunities! I am, as all should know, Dikaiarchos Demaratid. A man of commerce. Of worth. Of importance!

But don't tell my wife. Or my lover. They might think I'm full of myself.

In fact, if you see my wife, tell her I'm not in. She's dreadfully expensive.

DyvErCK.png

As is only proper for a man of commerce, I seize opportunities. Rhodes need land. Lots of land. To, err...trade. Yes. Yes. Trade. And loot, if you excuse my language.

LrK8FZI.png

Alas, the war did not end before my term was over. Some people died, we are out of manpower. But that is the lot of my successor. I'm taking a cruise of the Med now, thank you.

Chapter IV - The Rule of Arrhidaios Demaratid
  • Don't you love it when people do the legwork for you. A war won, me to gain the glory - my relative counting his few coins, ME gaining the spoils as I saw the war through?

My name is Arrhidaiuos Demaratid, and I will profit from this office.

kPljVLw.png

Under MY supervision, no less than THREE provinces were gained. There will be more. So what if our manpower is spent? So what if we can't get any mercenaries to do our dirty work? We have a big army, and I intend to use it. For the best of Rhodes, and for the best of my pockets.

syCfNvu.png

Our former allies the Gortyna and their feudatory Tarrha will soon be mine. I mean ours. Gortyna has a 10 year truce with us, but Tarrha does not. Gortyna just had to take the bait. Ah, people are so...dependable.

UrHr4hK.png

So we did go in the red after my precedessor mismanaged so much into his pockets, but after some creative book keeping and conquests, we're all good.

CrhGeK7.png

Well, there is the slight problem of our army being only one third of what it was before the war, and our neighbours cancelling their agreement and claiming our land. But I am off to the beaches, that is problem for the next guy.

Chapter V - The Rule of Demaratus Demaratid (again), Antisthenes Demaratid, Machatas Demaratid and Arrhidaios Demaratid (again!)
  • Ah! Back at it! Back in the limelight! Back to being all successful!

I am Arrhidaios Demaratid, and I'm back baby!

Took some time, but here I am. Me! Older, wiser, and boy will I be successful! Make my mark!

After I did my successful stint as Archon, Demaratus took over. He built things. Not big things, just marketplaces and stuff. BORING.

5blOgC4.png

Then the young and handsome Antisthenes took office. He was all looks. BORING.

6qr9aFF.png

Then a FILTHY POPULIST took office. Under him, we finally got our troops up to a good size again.

ry0dXrc.png

Which brings us back to me. The guy with the brains to use them.

fo9QXcb.png

I used the fodder to gain GLORY and LAND to our realm. It's money in stuff like that. Crete is ours, save the westernmost part, which belongs to Phrygia. I'm not stupid, you know. And we got a sizeable foodhold in Anatolia, adding 10 cities there. And gold. Gold is always good.

7r6C5j8.png

But sometimes you have to, you know, spend gold to gain gold. And reknown. People will forever know me as the one who built the Colossus of Rhodes. Chicks dig that.

bqmkUTS.png

zF4gqTy.png

But you know what I don't dig? Lazy workers. Thankfully I know how to persuade people.

9hh0KiI.png

But alas, I had to give away my title to the next dude right before the big opening. Just my luck. And of all people, it just had to be Demaratus Demaratid, the blabbering fool!

Chapter VI - The Rule (Again) of Demaratus Demaratid
  • Hello, it's me. Again. Third time's the charm they say. Not that I did bad the other two times. I think. I mean, I got friends and Rhodes is much bigger now than when I first took office. Just look at this:

XQPIKlT.png

My friend Arrhidaios begun to build a big statue. It's almost like a toy solider. Only big. I was so happy when it got finished. It brought money to Rhodes. I think that is good.

ZRBQcOo.png

8T5CI08.png

And then it was my friend Antisthenes Demaratid's turn to be Archon. He's a nice guy.

Chapter VII - The (Short) Rule of Antisthenes Demaratid, Euthykrates Demaratid and (full rule of) Periodas Demaratid
  • Man, what a ride. I was destined to this. Destined. Ordained by the gods.

First, Antisthenes was elected Archon.

ubC9BBW.png

He died.

0lzKdu8.png

Then the imbecile Euthykrates claimed the office.

WZZl55r.png

He declared war in the Peleponnes.

qGdYavI.png

Then subsequently died four months later. Making me the Chosen by the gods.

oOiuvqV.png

The war was naturally won. The gods are on our side. Naturally. It went so well, our rank among the nations rose to hitherto unseen hights. All in a day's work.

hxHPjRo.png

XTpQty6.png

But, alas, the gods are cruel. Egypt took notice and declared war upon us.

tzXK0wS.png

Then again, the gods are fickle. What could have been a disaster, turned out better. The Egyptians went into civil war.

EsPKWqK.png

While they fought among themselves, we held the Olympic Games. The gods favor us and the peoples of the world liked us even more. All was good.

3h7sOCv.png

nT8DtMK.png

Seeing as the gods favored us, but knowing we might still get invaded, I got appointed Dictator. Good times.

KbdvveI.png

The war ended a year later, no blood spilt. The gods are merciful!

XPszbJ2.png

And so my watch was ended. Unfortunately, the gods decided to "bless" us with a populist. Ugh.

Chapter VIII - The Rule of Hektor Demaratid
  • Hello the people! I am your man. The man of the people, as you might say. Some call us populists...ugly things. I am here to tell you this is not true. We are men of the people - YOUR representative at the top of society!

6pgnffO.png

I am told we are out of manpower. Thankfully Lycia is not a problem for our mighty forces! We will make them part of Rhodes. The people wills it!

BkubrB2.png

Oh sh.......

LGFkDRf.png

Quick! Annex Lycia! For the people!

25Q3Q55.png

Oh sh......

7Cv8qlB.png

Well, well. Gotta go! You know, when a man's gotta go and all that. Sayonara!

Chapter IX - The Rule of Philon Gylippid
  • Slaves! Slaves everywhere! Before this war started, we had barely 20 odd census units of them. After having fought Phrygia for a while, we were up to over 60! As the benevolent ruler I am, I personally approved the emancipation of 26 census units to freemen. I'm a nice guy like that. They won't move back home though. There are limits.

gqO1jd6.png

I'm Philon Gylippid by the way. Pleasure to make your aquaintance.

dt1Sb8i.png

The war ended with us claiming the province of Milyas and some gold by the way. Effectively doubling our presence in Anatolia.

LXuysr3.png

However, the war against Aetolia goes pretty much downhill. We are in no way able to press back. I see the writing on the wall here. And Right before the end of my term, Macedon decided to take the fight to us. Heavens have mercy on us!

59Dc3hK.png

Thankfully, the new Archon has direct access to the gods!

Chapter X - The Rule of Antisthenes Demaratid
  • Woe me. Woe. Woe I say! I am Antisthenes Demaratid and I had to forsake the Greek mainland to Aeotolia. History will surely remember me well, I´m afraid.

CbfwY0o.png

DtpZJd2.png

That is all there is to say. The Macedons are not invading after our mercenaries sent them packing from Anatolia. But they are numberous over there.

tc2eCYw.png

The military faction is taking over now. May they be of the more blessed sort.

Chapter XI - The Rule of Klearchos Demaratid
  • Attention!

This country is in danger, and will be ruled as such; with strict dicipline! I am Kelearchos Demaratid and I am you Archon; your commander. Obey!

ee0UBnI.png

First of all: With the Macedon pig's defeat in Anatolia, we soon secured a white peace. One day. One day we will return the favor and take the fight to them. I swear by the gods.

lOOSRYq.png

Secondly, our forces together with our rebuilt military will crush these Phrygian dogs that dares to declare on us. They consider us weak. We are not.

jWkYlfW.png

Unfortunately the war was not won when my term was up. This Hektor has a second chance to redeem himself.

Chapter XII - The Rule of Hektor Demaratid and Mnesidemos Demaratid
  • Well then. The people's choice is back in town! And just in time to score some points and slaves from the Phrygians! Life is good!

4cfgea5.png

After five years of looting and, frankly, winning the war all by myself from my popular p(a)lace in Rhodes, I was, unfortunately, required to give the honor of signing the peace to Mnesidemos. He's all about money, that bastard.

wu7FbMp.png

Heeeeeeelloooooo everybody! I am the one to make you rich! And you! And you! Slaves, land and money everywhere!

YFqaC5b.png

I, the great Mnesidemos, gave you all this! Remember it, and prosper!

Chapter XIII - The Rule of Antisthenes Demaratid, Anaxikrates Demaratid and Kephalon Demaratid
  • Gods be merciful! It was a long road, but finally I am here - Archon of Rhodes and ready to set my mark on the world!

After the war against Phrygia years ago, Antisthenes rose to office. A good man, a godly man. But he could not make his mark. It was too soon. We needed to rebuild.

79XeM3f.png

Then the filthy, ungodly, populist manbaby Anaxikrates rose to office. A poor excuse of a man, he did nothing of worth.

J8DC8DF.png

But then the gods stroke him down as the ungodly tend to do! It was time. Godly ordained time. For me, Kephalon Demaratid, to make my mark!

eAIjptZ.png

And mark it, I did. The Phrygians were at war; weakened. We were, if not strong, then wealthy. And what is wealth good for if not spent? On mercenaries for example? If needed? You know the answer.

zGJHAHu.png

And so it was. Four years later, close to the end of my term, we got what we wanted. Peace in our time. For a time. And lands. Lots of lands. It's good to be Archon.

fddzl40.png

And so my watch is ended.

Chapter XIV - The Rule of Mnesidemos Demaratid, Kineas Demaratid, Molon Xerxids and Pytodelos Agathoclid
  • Behold, my children! Behold, as we rise! Behold how the gods use us small humans to rise to great hights!

And leading you; this humble servant, Pythodelos.

3wEenGM.png

But before me came other giants (although less than your humble servant before you). First was Mnesidemos - he who oversaw our prestigous first victory in the Olympics.

XgycWfK.png

NiWEcBw.png

He died, as all mortals do. In his place Kineas rose.

hRyxIWh.png

Kineas grew our coffers almost fourfold. This secured us a victory in any war waged; as we could buy the mercenaries needed. The gods truly are blessing us!

He was then replaced by Molon, the man who guided by the gods declared war on the godless Phrygians.

dbVYpp9.png

VXAtujn.png

Which brings us to me, Pythodelos - the man who guided by the gods, guided Rhodes into what will surely be a meteoric rise. We are now truly a major power among lesser powers, led by lesser men!

Kie9QSX.png

And so my watch ended.

Chapter XV - The Rule of Derdas Demaratid, Kineas Demaratid and Molon Xerxids
  • Bless us oh gods, as you have blessed us before. We thank you for your blessings, given to us time and time again!

I am Molon Xerxids, and I am the speaker of the gods' will.

dbzQViF.png

Before me, lesser men were in office.

First, there was Derdas Demaratid. A man of my faction, a man of promise. Yet the gods struck him down before his time, his lunacy slowly building, then exploding as he rode a pig over a cliff. He was found days later, a broad smile still on his face.

kCsN9zU.png

Then KIneas Demaratid was elected in his place. He accomplished little.

hH1d0Q3.png

Which brings us to me, the gods' chosen and the bringer of doom to the Phrygians!

YvjlJjo.png

Naturally, this requires a steady hand, and I got a nice dictator title for my efforts!

KFnUTdL.png

And as expected, we won handily. Glory to Rhodes - blessed by the gods!

22Ukt6B.png

R0rxaky.png

Chapter XVI - The Rule of Zoilos Mithridatids
  • Genious. I am. A genious. That is what everyone says. Zoilos, they say, you are a genious. Of course, they are right. I know how to rule, and rule well.

LFBwTqN.png

First of all, you need to be hard. Harsh even, if needed. You need to cruzify your enemies, when needed. Ruthless. Yet, kind when appropriate. The slaves...that was not the time to be kind.

dOqdQQ2.png

The weak, by the way, they need to be...protected. Mysia Abrettene was weak. Small, no allies. Situated between us and Phrygia.

OdwV0rg.png

Macedon thought us weak. We. Are. Not.

U0wXkUD.png

Contrary to Mysia Abrettene. They are goners.

9Fbpedf.png

My time as Archon is over, but the Macedonians will soon rue the day they crossed us. Dropidas, for all his populist silliness, will know what to do. I left him plenty of money and manpower, and a nice army.

Chapter XVII - The Rule of Dropidas Persid
  • Hi there people I'm Dropidas Persid, people say I'm the popular man in Rhodes!

0TznaOF.png

My term was guided towards one goal: Beat back the forces of Macedon - for the people! And beat they were. All of the province of Hellas went to us! And some nice other cities as well. It's no secret why I'm popular, is it?

4RjQQUP.png

As thus, we got Athenai under our control. The home of the philosophers of old needed to be protected. We are not savages. We are Rhodians!

xvOsdqk.png

Chapter XVIII - The rule of Aristobulos Demaratid, Molon Xerxids and Zoilos Mithridatids
  • Hello! The genious is back in town! Just had to wade through some mediocre people. All part of the job.

First, Aristobulos reigned. He did well, building up the manpower base and all that. Boring work, I know, but someone had to do it. And Aristobulos was the man of the hour.

4lMUfW3.png

Then Molon Xerxids took over. Good man, if a bit of a religious nut. But we all have our kinks, don't we.

AIl7SuX.png

Then he died.

bdVK3g3.png

As I took over, I realized, as the genious I am, that we needed troops. Lots of them. So I started a massive buildup of forces in Hellas. And then Macedon went into a succession crisis. Glorious! For us.

Uk5g3lv.png

This needed to be taken advantage of, at once. Especially as Macedon already were at war with mighty Rome - whom themselves were on and off at war with Carthage, ceding and taking the same land all the time. Of equal strength, with us as the tipping point into oblivion!

8abYKrN.png

nzcU5Ct.png

And so my watch ended, early in the war, advancing on all fronts. I really am a genious.

Chapter XIX - The Rule of Kephalon Demaratid
  • Attention!

I, your commander in chief, Kephalon Demaratid, am speaking!

The war against the Macedonian scurge went well at my assuming of command, my predecessor did a good job!

a8gKDzE.png

Soon, the largest battle in our lifetime raged, and we were victorious! Good men, good men...

MWXGWVx.png

Our glorious army steadily went north, and soon the enemy capital, Pella, was taken by our forces.

2HkkJFw.png

Soon thereafter, the enemy accepted a harsh peace, with us taking most of their heartland. Victory!

K180ogb.png

I had to make a decision on how to treat Pella, and let it be known; I respect Alexander and his legacy!

XoiIeff.png

And so my watch was ended.

Chapter XX - The Rule of Menelaos Xerxids
  • Well, well, well... I am at the top. Controlling Rhodes, the mightest of the mighty! I am Menelaos Xerxids, and it is time we we west!

feMsEEM.png

It is 602 AUC, and my underlings tell me we control 203 cohorts and 107 ships. Rome, just having won another of their many Punic Wars, are at war with Macedon who we just beat, and are weakened from their struggle with Carthage. This is the time to strike, the reports say they are almost out of manpower and have only 2/3rds of our cohort numbers! Rhodes, arise!

lW3breJ.png

NwBzIBV.png

And Rome proved to be no match for us. Admittedly, they won a few battles, but we won the war! And I must say, the income of our humble republic is quite something; even with several mercenary companies in our employ, we are getting a positive income!

b8Dl1hX.png

Behold, Rhodes the mighty!

hxvCxDF.png

And so my watch has ended.