AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just popping by to say that I enjoy this AAR and that I started playing DF again.

Keep up the good work Blue Emu!
Did you want a dwarf?

Yeah, somekind off military dwarf would be cool. Thanks for the idea.
You are Theusje Tomeletters, an Axedwarf in Hyme's squad. In civilian life, your profession was Gelder... chopping the balls off of domestic animals. Hopefully these skills will serve you well now that you are an Axedwarf.

AD_390.jpg

The world has entered a new age!

AD_388.jpg

AD_389.jpg

Apparently, this happens if enough Megabeasts are killed. The world remains in the Age of Myth as long as at least 2/3rds of the original Megabeasts are alive. Between 2/3rds and 1/3rd is the Age of Legends. Below 1/3 is the Age of Heroes.

AD_391.jpg

Gobbos, this time.

Tragedy struck AleDrinkers with the arrival of this Goblin siege. Urdim Zasitan, a Legendary Carpenter and one of the original seven dwarves, was a bit slow getting back into the fort when the Intruder Alert was sounded; and was crushed to death by a drawbridge closing while he was still crossing it.

Let that be a lesson to us all!

Fortunately, dwarves are a renewable resource.

Forty Gobbos on the map so far, including many Bowmen.

AD_392.jpg

Here they come.

AD_393.jpg

After losing half of their number in the Dodge-Em Trap, the remaining Gobbos lifted the siege and fled.

AD_394.jpg

"Beware its deadly blood!" means that it transmits a syndrome.

Forgotten Beast syndromes are totally random. It might be blisters, or permanent blindness, or instant necrosis of the central nervous system (and immediate death)... or something else.

View attachment 742266

"Beware its deadly blood!" means that it transmits a syndrome.

Forgotten Beast syndromes are totally random. It might be blisters, or permanent blindness, or instant necrosis of the central nervous system (and immediate death)... or something else.
Do we have any treehuggers we can expose to find out? :p

Reactions:
Do we have any treehuggers we can expose to find out? :p
Interesting thought... we have a few tree-huggers in storage. Not sure how we'd expose them without just getting them chomped.

... although it's no great loss if a tree-hugger or two gets chomped.

Dig out a room next to the cavern, but not quite breaking through into it. Set up a cage with a tree-hugger in it, inside the room. Wire up a remote control to open the cage. Seal the room off from our fortress with a drawbridge, and another drawbridge between it and the cavern... like an airlock. Set up remote controls for both drawbridges. Make sure both drawbridges are OPEN. Mine out the last bit of rock seperating the room from the cavern, then run like hell. Close both drawbridges before the Forgotten Beast shows up. Release the Elf. Open the outer drawbridge, to let the Forgotten Beast in.

Too bad for the carpenter.... Well, accidents happen.

Good thing we have marksdwarves who can safely take out the megabeast from a distance :cool:
The Megabeast is trap immunity? If so it can still dodge arrows? Can we make a dodge trap for tha cave but use the markmens behind slits to have the MB dodge out of the way and fall to his death?

The Megabeast is trap immunity? If so it can still dodge arrows? Can we make a dodge trap for tha cave but use the markmens behind slits to have the MB dodge out of the way and fall to his death?
There aren't enough levels below the bottom cavern layer for a Dodge-Em Trap. Also, we would have no way to maneuver the beast into the proper spot. If we could, the simplest solution would be to just drop a ceiling on it. We might end up doing that anyway. We can crush creatures under cave-ins without ever entering the cavern ourselves, and without exposing a route into our fort.

1) Go to the last solid rock layer just above the ceiling of the cavern. Hollow out a room, so that only the room's floor seperates you from the cavern. Then evacuate that room and seal it off again with a constructed wall, so there is no longer any way in or out.

2) Go to the level above that. Hollow out a room directly above room #1. Build a Support in the center of the room, and hook it up to a remote-control lever far away. Now channel out the edges of the floor, so that it is supported only by the constructed Support. Note that this channeling only connects Room #1 with Room #2... there is still no connection to the cavern. Then evacuate the room and seal it off again with a constructed wall, just as you did with room #1.

3) Maneuver the beast underneath the two rooms, and pull the lever. The Support disintegrates, dropping the floor of Room #2 down through Room #1, where it smashes through the floor of Room #1 and continues on into the cavern, impacting the cavern floor and destroying anything underneath it. The hole left in the ceiling of the cavern leads only to Rooms #1 and #2, which you have already sealed off with constructed walls.

Last edited:
The fourth level of the overhead magma holding tank approaches completion.

AD_395.jpg

After completing the outer shell and removing the scaffolding, the only remaining tasks will be the roof and the power connections (that last one will be a bugger).

Too bad for the carpenter.... Well, accidents happen.
Yes. Remember that the dwarves are autonomous. If I waited until every dwarf was inside before pulling the lever, there might be a long delay before anyone answered the "Pull the Lever" signal, and the hostiles might get in. So I have to estimate movement rates and orders delays, and give the order while the last few dwarves are still approaching the gate. In this case, I might have cut it too fine... or maybe the dwarf got distracted by something and wasted some time.

Ah, man. I wish I knew what I looked at in this game. Hopefully Steam Edition will help us who are too lazy to sit and figure this game out. Well, I will give it another shot.

Anyway, this AAR has been a joy to read, although I hardly understand technical side of things.

Would it be possible to get a dwarf? Give me whoever you think fits. Preferably someone with high potential. Thanks!

Ah, man. I wish I knew what I looked at in this game. Hopefully Steam Edition will help us who are too lazy to sit and figure this game out. Well, I will give it another shot.

Anyway, this AAR has been a joy to read, although I hardly understand technical side of things.

Would it be possible to get a dwarf? Give me whoever you think fits. Preferably someone with high potential. Thanks!
It's the technical aspect of the game that I enjoy... I always play a Mechanic, and my ambition is to build insanely complicated machines that effortlessly kill our enemies.

In one of our previous games, I built a weapon three stories tall and physically larger than our entire fort. It actually NEEDED to be that large, in order to work properly. It fired half-ton blobs of water at just under the speed of sound. Naturally, they would simply annihilate any creature they hit, usually blowing it to pieces.

It required nearly 3000 components, assembled in a specific order. Its first test firing killed a Megabeast (one of the worst monsters in the game) sixty tiles away.

Here's a description: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ess-main-thread.390202/page-215#post-15545976

Did you want any particular type of dwarf? Military? Civilian? A noble? A skilled craftsman? A peasant?

It's the technical aspect of the game that I enjoy... I always play a Mechanic, and my ambition is to build insanely complicated machines that effortlessly kill our enemies.

In one of our previous games, I built a weapon three stories tall and physically larger than our entire fort. It actually NEEDED to be that large, in order to work properly. It fired half-ton blobs of water at just under the speed of sound. Naturally, they would simply annihilate any creature they hit, usually blowing it to pieces.

It required nearly 3000 components, assembled in a specific order. Its first test firing killed a Megabeast (one of the worst monsters in the game) sixty tiles away.

Here's a description: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ess-main-thread.390202/page-215#post-15545976

Did you want any particular type of dwarf? Military? Civilian? A noble? A skilled craftsman? A peasant?
I'm certain technicalities are a ton of fun once you're a bit more advanced. But for now, they are like rocket chemistry to me:)

As for the question, if there is any NPC dwarf that has achieved something remarkable so far, I'd be the most happy to be him. As for the class, I'm mostly indifferent, but for a slight preference I'd go for a noble.

Lars Schneller Paperblazed is, in civilian life, one of our Administrators. He was also one of the first Dwarves to enlist in our Militia, taking part in the very first siege (back in 126) and personally killing three of the attacking Zombies... one of them by biting it to death. He is a Legendary Speardwarf in Iche Bins squad, and also has several other combat-oriented skills: Legendary skill in Fighter, Discipline and Observer, Master Shield User, Expert Armor User, Expert Wrestler, Adept Striker, Proficient Kicker and Competent Biter. A very dangerous dwarf.

AD_396.jpg

• 1Haha
Reactions: