AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lars Schneller Paperblazed is, in civilian life, one of our Administrators. He was also one of the first Dwarves to enlist in our Militia, taking part in the very first siege (back in 126) and personally killing three of the attacking Zombies... one of them by biting it to death. He is a Legendary Speardwarf in Iche Bins squad, and also has several other combat-oriented skills: Legendary skill in Fighter, Discipline and Observer, Master Shield User, Expert Armor User, Expert Wrestler, Adept Striker, Proficient Kicker and Competent Biter. A very dangerous dwarf.

View attachment 742397
Excellent! I remember there was a dwarf that used his teeth on the zombie, but wasn't aware he wasn't taken.

A great honor it is to be among the militia's founding fathers. May the fortress stand strong forever more!

The overhead magma holding tank is entirely finished except for the roof and the power connections. That last bit is going to be a real headache.

I've finally figured out an efficient way to get power to the overhead holding tank. It only adds 67 more power requirement to the 120 already used by the pumps immersed in the holding tank, and it allows the holding tank pumps to be turned off while the pump stack continues to run. Best of all, it will be completely enclosed, with no parts exposed to hostile flying building destroyers.

It required coming up with a way to pass Magma through a tile in one direction while power is flowing through the SAME tile at 90 degrees to that.

My head hurts.

In other news, our pump stack has reached level 101, and has only 60 more levels to go!

I've finally figured out an efficient way to get power to the overhead holding tank. It only adds 67 more power requirement to the 120 already used by the pumps immersed in the holding tank, and it allows the holding tank pumps to be turned off while the pump stack continues to run. Best of all, it will be completely enclosed, with no parts exposed to hostile flying building destroyers.

It required coming up with a way to pass Magma through a tile in one direction while power is flowing through the SAME tile at 90 degrees to that.

My head hurts.

In other news, our pump stack has reached level 101, and has only 60 more levels to go!
Huzzah!

We should also make a Cavern-scouring magma cannon, now that we got the holding tank planned and ready.

Zombie visitor.

AD_397.jpg

Forlorn Zombies are not (normally) agents of a necromancer. They are Dwarves (in this case) that were caught by Zombifying weather in a Haunted biome. They retain their intelligence and personality, and are not necessarily evil.

AFAIK Forlorn Zombie visitors are typically harmless.

The overhead holding tank is finished! Here are the power connections:

AD_398.jpg

Looks like a crazy mess, but I expect it to work. I've already tested for end-to-end power continuity, and it passed.

Levers. We gots them!

AD_399.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Every single one of those levers does something important enough that I felt the need to run a control circuit down here to our control room.

They raise and lower drawbridges, open and close floodgates and floor hatches, turn power feeds on and off, route flowing lava in different directions...

Forlorn Zombies are not (normally) agents of a necromancer. They are Dwarves (in this case) that were caught by Zombifying weather in a Haunted biome. They retain their intelligence and personality, and are not necessarily evil.

AFAIK Forlorn Zombie visitors are typically harmless.

The overhead holding tank is finished! Here are the power connections:

View attachment 742409

Looks like a crazy mess, but I expect it to work. I've already tested for end-to-end power continuity, and it passed.
Zombifying weather?

Some of the evil areas have weather that causes syndromes. One of the possible syndromes is Zombification.

"Undead created by evil weather gain immediate strength bonuses and acquire a status of Opposed to Life. They will tirelessly seek out living things to kill until they are struck down, which can take considerable effort."

Reading up on this atm.
Probably won't be up to speed until sometime tomrorow.
As I was getting lots of questions I thoguht I'd ask now, though.
Note that I'm very much a novice at DF. So expect me to know absolutely nothing.
I'd also like to be dwarfed, if that's possible. Give me whatever you think suits me.

Our Miners haven't located the flux (for steel-making) yet, but that's an academic point. Steel equipment is MUCH more time-consuming to make than Iron, Copper or Bronze equipment, so we'll put steel on hold for now and make all of our starting equipment out of Iron. Bronze would also be quick and fairly competitive with Iron, but (as usual) our Miners haven't located the Cassiterite (tin ore) yet either.
Can you later melt down iron equipment to reuse the iron?

Iron it is. Fortunately, it's the third-best weapon-grade material (after Adamantite and Steel), and by chance we sank our fort's stairwell right through a large deposit of Iron ore, Copper ore, and Coal. So we don't need to go looking for it... the spoil from our tunneling is full of Iron and Copper ores.
Isn't continuing that stairwell bad, sinc then you can't mine out the iron you discovered?

So we can start setting up a garden on the surface. This will require irrigating a stretch of land, since in this inhospitable biome we can't grow anything without prior irrigation. Fortunately, I had foreseen this eventuality and had our Carpenter construct the components that we will require for a couple of pumps. I'll want to set up a few retaining walls first, to make sure we don't accidentally flood anything except the intended garden site.
Why do you need pumps? Can't you just dig ditches and link them up with the river?

Meanwhile, with our two new Miners (now four in total including Hyme) we are expanding our bedrooms in preparation for the next wave of migrants.

AD_026.jpg
Why not making the bedroom corridors way way longer?

We started out in a bare rock biome, which prevented us from immediately starting an underground farm. We had to dig around a bit before we found a pocket of sand in which we could set up a farm. So, to reach our farm from the fort entrance, you go downstairs two levels then walk north along the corridor about 30 Urists, then follow the ramps up one level on your right (leaving you only one level below the surface, in that aforementioned pocket of sand). The farm is immediately to your left, and the kitchen, still and farmer's workshop are to your right.
Wasn't there also an entrance to the farm from above ground? And hence can't the fort be attacked that way?

"Undead created by evil weather gain immediate strength bonuses and acquire a status of Opposed to Life. They will tirelessly seek out living things to kill until they are struck down, which can take considerable effort."
Does not apply to visitors. Look up "Forlorn Zombie Visitors"

The cavern system is five levels high. I'll figure out a way to bypass it, and keep on heading downward.
Can't you just wall up parts of it and then have no worries?

I looked up those Giant Kingsnakes, and they are HUGE... four times the mass of an adult dwarf, and large enough that some races use them as exotic mounts.
Sounds like you were lucky to not have your dwarves eaten.

It's worth noting that unlike the first cavern, this lower cavern is overgrown with cave growths. By breaking through the wall, we've released the spores into our fort, so we can expect our sandy areas (which is only level 1 on this map) to start sprouting underground plants.
Can underground plants do damage?

The Outer Walls:

AD_086.jpg
Why not use the same type of rock for the walls? Would look better, I'd imagine.

1) Excavating a Magma Forge area down at the bottom of the world (about level 125 down). - Status: currently under construction
Why not just setting it up at teh shore of the magma sea in the cave?

3) Excavating the pit for our Dodge-Em Trap. Status: four of twenty levels done, project on hold.
Why does it need to be that deep?

9) Extending our outer walls up another level and giving them an overhang and fortification. Status: planned. Awaiting more stone blocks.
Why not make them even taller yet?

and add an overhang and some fortifications to keep out invaders that can climb.
Why do you need fortifications for climbers? Won't the overhang be enough to stop them?

AD_095.jpg

Currently in my office, having a snack.
Why are the offices above your one tile less deep?

Reading up on this atm.
Probably won't be up to speed until sometime tomrorow.
As I was getting lots of questions I thoguht I'd ask now, though.
Note that I'm very much a novice at DF. So expect me to know absolutely nothing.
I'd also like to be dwarfed, if that's possible. Give me whatever you think suits me.

Can you later melt down iron equipment to reuse the iron?

Isn't continuing that stairwell bad, sinc then you can't mine out the iron you discovered?

Why do you need pumps? Can't you just dig ditches and link them up with the river?

Why not making the bedroom corridors way way longer?

Wasn't there also an entrance to the farm from above ground? And hence can't the fort be attacked that way?
1) I'll dwarf you, sure.

2) Could do, could do. Recycling only returns about 30%-to-60% of the original Iron, though. With some exceptions... chain leggings actually returns 150%. More than you started with. We have THOUSAND of tiles of Iron ore, anyway.

3) Digging ditches doesn't irrigate. You need to spread mud on the surface of the ground. That's done by pumping water onto the surface, and then letting it run off or evaporate.

4) I'd like to minimize walking time. It takes the same amount of time to walk one tile down the corridor as it takes to descend one level down the staircase. So spreading out horizontally is inefficient. A bedroom that is thirty tiles away from the stairs is just as far away as one that is thirty levels below! So I spread my bedrooms across multiple levels instead.

5) No. There's a well on the surface, but I've walled and roofed it in completely, and it can only be accessed from underground, not directly from the surface.

Can't you just wall up parts of it and then have no worries?

Sounds like you were lucky to not have your dwarves eaten.

Can underground plants do damage?

Why not use the same type of rock for the walls? Would look better, I'd imagine.

Why not just setting it up at teh shore of the magma sea in the cave?

Why does it need to be that deep?

Why not make them even taller yet?

Why do you need fortifications for climbers? Won't the overhang be enough to stop them?

Why are the offices above your one tile less deep?
1) My wall would need to be as high as the cavern, which would require building scaffolding. Dwarves will not build a wall (or floor, etc) unless there is a solid place to stand orthogonal (directly N S E or W, not diagonally) to the spot being constructed. My dwarves would be exposed to attack for much too long.

2) Somewhat, yes. But dwarves are a renewable resource.

3) No.

4) It would take far too long to mine out and smooth thousands of blocks of a single type of rock.

5) Horrible creatures live in the magma. I need to be completely sealed off from the magma, but with direct access to it for the forges.

6) Even a twenty level fall only kills about a third of the hostiles. I've improved the lethality by plating the floor of the pit with Platinum plating. Hard and dense.

7) It would have taken longer. Three levels plus an overhang will stop everyone except Legendary Climbers (who wouldn't be stopped by added height anyway).

8) The fortifications are for our archers, to shoot from the wall top. I only do that if I have no safer choice, though.

9) Bedrooms take more types of furniture, and are used more often (so the happiness bonus of owning a large room is applied more often). Offices are fine with only a chair and table, unless it's a critical role like Manager or CMO (Chief Medical Officer).

Sounds like an automated iron farm in the making...
Typically, if we run short of metal we just confiscate it from Invaders. It is colloquially referred-to as "Goblinite".

Wagonlitz Stircanyons is a Legendary Weaponsmith, as well as being highly skilled at Armorsmith and Glassmaking. He is currently assisting with the construction of the 150-level-high Magma Pump Stack, which requires all glass components (glass is magma-safe).

AD_400.jpg