• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice, now improve the ledger : mostly to see literacy by state, but also to solve one of the most annoying and click-hungry thing : to be able to build forts/naval bases quickly. Right now it's a bitch !

Yes, a comprehensive ledger a la EU3 complete is badly needed in V2. In it's current state, I only really use it to check army or navy sizes prior to attacking.

As for the message system - marvellous, frankly. Anything which gives the player more control over the amount of information springing into his field of view every second of the game is hugely welcome; I really don't care if Peru has signed improved relations with Nepal, but if two of my hostile neighbours are improving relations with each other then it's fairly important for me to know about it.

Could there be a way to set warnings to pop up when a major reaches a certain level of influence with a minor? For example, if Spain is in my sphere, it'd be useful to be able to get a warning whenever another major's influence gets to 90 or whatever I want, so I can take action before they can pop them out of my sphere.

Maybe they could change the outliner a little bit. Currently you can see the flag of countries that spend influence in the outliner, maybe change the color of the flag border depending on the influence they have, like green 0-30, yellow 31-59, red 60-100

Although admittedly it would only serve a single purpose, a slave state mapmode would be useful (or adding it to another map mode).

cool feature

(someone give a yell to the CK2 team to port this feature to be applicable to individual characters)

Wow. This is probably one of the things I wanted most for EU3. To get it here would be just as awesome :)

Maybe they could change the outliner a little bit. Currently you can see the flag of countries that spend influence in the outliner, maybe change the color of the flag border depending on the influence they have, like green 0-30, yellow 31-59, red 60-100

It needs to be a message because the outliner isn't big enough. I can't even fit my whole sphere into the outliner, let alone view anything else in it at the same time.

It needs to be a message because the outliner isn't big enough. I can't even fit my whole sphere into the outliner, let alone view anything else in it at the same time.

We just need a bigger outliner, and several of them side by side. I make it no secret that my dream game will just be hundreds and hundreds of Outliners, side by side, feeding me nothing but text until I enter an aspergic coma of outlined bliss.

If your opinion is that AHD is a patch: Nowhere. Equally, it is pointless to post to say you're not interested. It is a contentless, or spam, post. If you have specific concerns or questions within the scope of the weekly DD, post them in the thread of course, but we don't need an update from everyone who is not interested.

I am totally uninterested in reading developer diaries... when I should be playing the beta! Get to the most important task you have, also known as telling me where to download it! I mean good golly Miss Molly, hurry the heck up and beta me babe!

I love this feature. In fact, I was just whining to myself last night about the sheer number of useless messages I get about dinky countries that I can't turn off or I'll miss the big important messages about countries I care about.

I WOULD LOVE HAVING THE POWER TO TURN OFF MESSAGES RELATED TO BATTLES AGAINST REBELS AND OTHER REBEL RELATED STUFF WITHOUT MESSING UP SIMILAR MESSAGES ABOUT INTERACTIONS WITH ACTUAL COUNTRIES. HINT HINT.

Hint. Hint. Hint. HINT. HINT. HINTHINTHINTHINTHINTHINT.

I would also like a hunt the rebel button for armies, and the ability to apply various new graphics to new units. Like, PDM has a horse artillery unit that lacks an image because it's not possible to stick one on. The unit works great, it's just sans little identifying icon.

I'd also like engineers, planes, tanks etc to be given unique dividers so that they aren't merged into existing dividers. It looks weird when a unit claims to be entirely artillery but is actually entirely engineers!

All that said, I love the greater focus on ensuring the player has the ability to filter incoming information in various handy new ways. Up with that sort of thing!

Like, PDM has a horse artillery unit that lacks an image because it's not possible to stick one on. The unit works great, it's just sans little identifying icon.

Um, we can add an icon. I just never got round to it. It's not the dev's fault, that one is all mine :p

This would be so nice to have in EU3. Any chance of having it added via a patch or another expansion?

+1 -- it would even more useful in EU 3 because there are so many more countries to keep track of.

This pretty much means that poor Sokoto won't have anyone reading about the Fulani Jihad. :(

(Excellent idea by the way! I am tired of "Austria discredited Prussia in X Random German State" and "Prussia has banned the Austrian Embassy in Y Random German State")

What I want is a notification of an uprising in my sphereling, so I can elect to go save them if it is significant. Having to pan around the map frequently to check on important spherelings' stability is annoying, but I don't really have a sane alternative to that yet.

Love the system. You've already mentioned that we'll likely get the option to select a whole continent, but how about a "Neighbours" option? Or an "in sphere" option?

the best guess one adds both. remember you can also do this from the diplomacy screen where you have all sorts of sorting options

*lots of enthusiastic suggestions*

doing separate messages for rebel combat/sieges is on my todo list since reading these suggestions.

i dont want to be rude but my excitement for the "patch" is fading away
While your excitement for insert product might be fading is a legitimate opinion;

You're doing a pretty bad job of not being rude. You might want to try harder to convey what you "want" (to convey) in future posts.

So don't post in the DD threads then.
Honestly I have to say this has got to be a pretty less interesting dev diary.

HOWEVER, it is a major improvement (that will likely apply to other future paradox games I'm guessing) so it's very good to hear. It won't add to the fun things that much but it probably will reduce the tedium at the very least by 30% which will overall make things a lot more fun for Victoria 2 and every other game that has a similar system implemented in the future (and no doubt if AHD has a new demo for it then it will mean less people turned off by vichy 2 for information overload reasons with an improvement in how information is given).

While after putting too many hours into vichy two I usually tend to have a pretty good idea of everything that's going on and has happened in the past year that's relevent, not everyone plays day by day to quite the same level I do so I'm sure it'll benefit them much more. This is something that will definitely benefit novice users a hell of a lot, so for purely selfish reasons (wanting to get people who haven't played vichy 2 into it) this is pretty good to hear.

Yes, a comprehensive ledger a la EU3 complete is badly needed in V2. In it's current state, I only really use it to check army or navy sizes prior to attacking.
Kind've offtopic but I find the section of the ledger that shows total pop sizes can be a good compliment to the military score for assessing your competing nations military. Knowing how many total soliders (in solider pops) that France, Austria and Russia has can be very useful.

It'd be nice if diplomatic points say also served as espionage points though. I feel kind've weird knowing a very accurate number about any nation in the world's military via the ledger without any costs involved.
Perhaps an option in the menu that enables the "all seeing ledger" or disables it as well for those who prefer to not use that feature. Like perhaps basic info could be seen for all countries but ship numbers are only accurate to within 10 (236 ships either gets truncated or rounded to 230 or 240 respectively) and only appear on the ledger at all after a year (without a spy being sent).

Last edited:
doing separate messages for rebel combat/sieges is on my todo list since reading these suggestions.

heart_2_by_ares7755-d3gwswp.jpg

podcat, you are my favorite. Every time I whine about something you're like "oh let me whip you up a nice glass of that thing you wanted."

But seriously though, once you're done whipping messages into shape a better interface for armies would be awesome. You can't just glop wildly different unit types into the same divider, that breaks the rules man! You know, the rules that say you never lie to the player about their capabilities, or the capabilities of the opponent on the interface unless you have a d _ m _ good reason for it.

Putting engineers in the artillery slot is a silly lie. Telling me I have an alliance when the AI has a secret pact to the contrary with a third party, on the other hand, would be a good lie. Please remove the bad lie (and consider adding in some good ones).