Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #42: The Spacers NPC Faction

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope they have a battle cry of "Mediocre!" :D
Honestly given some of today's gamer culture, these guys existing post-apocalypse like this is not so hard to believe. Imagine if all the rabid Fortnite fans had to stop playing their game, and could get their hands on real guns... :D

Oh and I bet this is the music that plays at their bases and from the Mad Preacher's loudspeakers (I hope people get the reference)

Last edited:

Thanks for the refresher. I did read that (all the developer diaries, actually) but probably skimmed it too fast to retain some of the details. My personal tendency is to ignore canned scenarios and campaigns and just play the sandbox game (think Civilization here) but this game may tempt me to actually try the campaigns. It seems clear though that the campaigns are restricted to linked scenarios or missions on the same map. There does not seem to be a map to map campaign mechanism mentioned yet - one where you take a hero and key units from one planet to the next. That would have been sweet. Perhaps it was one of the things they did not want to reveal in the developer diary, who knows? OTOH, it might be impractical since most tech is revealed by the end of most games. Unless, of course, the scenario editor allows for prolonged tech development...for example, our hero starts on planed A with tier 1 tech, then by the end of the scenario, launches off to Planet B with one tier higher tech, and so on, until he hits the final "boss" planet where every tech is known and exploited. That would be interesting to play, to me at least.

There does not seem to be a map to map campaign mechanism mentioned yet - one where you take a hero and key units from one planet to the next.

This is exactly what happens in the campaign.

That's part of it being a campaign, and has been in every single AoW campaign, from AoW1, through AoW2 and SM and into AoW3.

edit: heroes and leaders go forward, not units usually.

Nice that heroes go, too bad about units. I was thinking of games like Panzer General where you take your army with you to the next battle map all leveled up and specialized. Good news overall, though.

Nice that heroes go, too bad about units. I was thinking of games like Panzer General where you take your army with you to the next battle map all leveled up and specialized. Good news overall, though.

From memory, when I dabbled in making a campaign for AoW3, you could set certain units to be carried forward, or to be there in the next map (so effectively the same) which makes me think you can do the same in PF.

However, the game structure is very different to Panzer General etc, where your aim was to manage your army iirc, and you had limited forces and limited means of reinforcement, whereas this is much more 4x territory.

Isn't Fantasy General the fantasy spin off of Panzer General? And isn't there a sequel coming? That seems to have a consistent army that carries from mission to mission, and actually looks like an interesting game.

so they are basically players
wonder if they will become playable faction someday

In theory very doable.

You'd just have to duplicate all the race entries for an existing race, then edit them to be the dwelling race, and then modify the necessary entries for secret tech etc stuff.

Quite time consuming though.

This is assuming the system is the same as in AoW3.

From memory, when I dabbled in making a campaign for AoW3, you could set certain units to be carried forward, or to be there in the next map (so effectively the same) which makes me think you can do the same in PF.

However, the game structure is very different to Panzer General etc, where your aim was to manage your army iirc, and you had limited forces and limited means of reinforcement, whereas this is much more 4x territory.

Isn't Fantasy General the fantasy spin off of Panzer General? And isn't there a sequel coming? That seems to have a consistent army that carries from mission to mission, and actually looks like an interesting game.
Indeed there is a remake of Fantasy General in the works but I know almost nothing about it as yet. Might be fun but on the whole I don't like the mostly scripted battle maps in the PG series. But if they can put together procedurally generated maps and even some randomized scenarios, that would be a different matter.

Nice. Could also make the Mantra of the Branded really tempting for the Syndicate if they can stand the smell of the ones they buy it from. They've got the psionics needed to get the effigies on the field, and don't mind sacrificing Indentured to do it. (Of course, this is just theory-crafting.)
The Syndicate of course has a Olfactory Filter for dealing with those dirty lunatics not worth of being slaves spacers.

Where are the purges?
FYI, the Flamethrower solution of Promethean is called "Pyrx".
And who says they actually developed/deployed it for only the Xenoplague?

Battle for Westnoth comes to mind as a example. And it is a free game that also uses Hexes.

FYI, the Flamethrower solution of Promethean is called "Pyrx".
And who says they actually developed/deployed it for only the Xenoplague?

Yes, i know and still i ask: Where are the purges? Killing every lifeforms in a planet with fire is not a purge in Stellaris. In any case is just Armageddon or Javorian Pox bombardment. What i ask for is the real purges, the massive and cruel killing of a designated life form based on a galactic scale. I insist on my original statement: The Star Union is too much nice to be a Stellaris empire :)

Yes, i know and still i ask: Where are the purges? Killing every lifeforms in a planet with fire is not a purge in Stellaris. In any case is just Armageddon or Javorian Pox bombardment. What i ask for is the real purges, the massive and cruel killing of a designated life form based on a galactic scale. I insist on my original statement: The Star Union is too much nice to be a Stellaris empire :)
Okay, why do you asume the Kirko were actually the only life encountered by the Star Union?
It looks more like it was the only life they could control after some selective murder.

At least it as the only life, until tehy tried again with the Xenoplague.

Okay, why do you asume the Kirko were actually the only life encountered by the Star Union?

Dunno, maybe because i don't assume that? We don't know yet of other beings destroyed by the Star Union. A previously believed-to-be-destroyed-race that rise again and seek revenge can be a good idea for a DLC, but right now we don't know if that is the case. I for one, hope it is :)

Dunno, maybe because i don't assume that? We don't know yet of other beings destroyed by the Star Union. A previously believed-to-be-destroyed-race that rise again and seek revenge can be a good idea for a DLC, but right now we don't know if that is the case. I for one, hope it is :)
Or actually the campaign storyline. We know that something blew up the Hyperspace hubs, but not a lot beyond that.
For all we know, hyperspace travel was murdering Hyperspace life by the billions each day and they simply retaliated.

Considering all the other bleep we know the Star Union did, it seems short-sigthed to asume they never comiited purge level attrocities just because we do not know about them yet.
Especially since our current Window is only about playable Factions. And being Purged kinda of makes you unplayable...