Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #1: Welcome and Premise

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the artists tried to make a sci-fi interface that's not blue, but gave up :) Should be different enough to Stellaris as you'll see in future screens.

My problem isn't specifically the blue, it's that I don't like the sci-fi look.

Doesn't mean I won't buy the game (it's Age of Wonders, of course I will buy it!), but sci-fi style = meh.

My problem isn't specifically the blue, it's that I don't like the sci-fi look.

Doesn't mean I won't buy the game (it's Age of Wonders, of course I will buy it!), but sci-fi style = meh.

And i suppose you can change that too :)

Its like a new hairstyle after a while you dont notice anymore.

Man oh man oh man, so many questions about this dev-j.

Mainly, the modules, how does it work? In the ability list there aren´t any abilities listed that come from modules. Or is the Assault Jump an effect of the Jetpack? But then does this unit not have a melee attack? What effect does the Flechette Ammo have? What is the purpose of the eagle icon? Do some modules get an icon while others don´t? These units, are they Vanguard Liberators or Screaming Eagle Troopers or both?

How will defense and armor work and where´s the resistance listed?
In the blurb there´s mention of the Core and the Emperor. The core is reflected in the unit ability list. So what does it mean?

What´s the temple icon in the top right for?

No need to answer everything at once but I´ll invite you to try ... :)

Man oh man oh man, so many questions about this dev-j.

Mainly, the modules, how does it work? In the ability list there aren´t any abilities listed that come from modules. Or is the Assault Jump an effect of the Jetpack? But then does this unit not have a melee attack? What effect does the Flechette Ammo have? What is the purpose of the eagle icon? Do some modules get an icon while others don´t? These units, are they Vanguard Liberators or Screaming Eagle Troopers or both?

How will defense and armor work and where´s the resistance listed?
In the blurb there´s mention of the Core and the Emperor. The core is reflected in the unit ability list. So what does it mean?

What´s the temple icon in the top right for?

No need to answer everything at once but I´ll invite you to try ... :)

I'll take some stabs at this.

Assault jump is an effect of the jetpack, and ranged units don't have melee attacks by default. Try to avoid getting charged.
All flechette rounds eem to do is increase the damage of the basic ranged attack.

The eagle icon exists to distinguish upgraded units from un upgraded ones at a glance-see that the other marines in the stack don't have it on their card. They are stock. You probably select an icon when you name the unit.

Defence works just like aow3, except without the -10 factor. Damage is just attack- armour +/- some percentage. Resistances also work like in aow3, and this unit doesn't have any.

The emperor-did you think the star union was a democracy for some reason, what with the multiple doomsday weapons and mass enslavement?

CORE-it looks like this was, or is, the race name for the vanguard, as there's no other reason it would be in the unit ability list.

Temple icon looks like US capitol building, so I assume it's some sort of government type mechanic.

I really hope you pull it of but planetary sci-fi 4xs have often proved very hard to pull of.

And before that everyting sci-fi was white and plastic -- and flashing lights... Yes that we need in interface, arrays of flashing lights. :p

ecgungzyaaatapspxoht.jpg

Can anyone fill me in, I know nothing about this series but it looks like Endlesss space, am I wrong in this comparison?

Can anyone fill me in, I know nothing about this series but it looks like Endlesss space, am I wrong in this comparison?
Series consists of 4 (or 3.5) installments, all of which are TBS in a fantasy setting -> more like Endless Legends but has heroes (-> HOMM) and straight down the best combat system of all empire building TBS imho. You should give the previous installations a try.
So going to space is new for the series and honestly I don't know much about endless space to give you a breakdown of all the things that might or might not differ. But one differences is: In Endless space you are exploring the universe, while in planetfall you'll explore a planet and struggle for the control of the planet so ground based combat and base development will probably(?) play a much bigger role than it does in endless space.
Hope that helps

Closer to that would be civ beyond earth with more focus and much deeper combat system.

I do really look foward to play this gem on the PS4. If it comes out, it would be definitely the best Turn based game ever released for PS4.

Never thought that would be the next thing from the guys that made AoW3. Just as I was waiting for AoW3, I'll be waiting for Planetfall to come out, wish you guys luck and not-so-exhausting crunches out there!