Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #1: Welcome and Premise

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sad to hear about the AoW3 forums shutting down. I like them a lot better than the Paradox ones. I guess its that I prefer reading black letters on pastell ground over white on blue, and that ppl can truly choose a representative avatar pic there, instead of having to pick from a lame and limited selection of low resolution pics from owned games. Also, here on the Paradox forums, I´m always getting lost xD.

I have mixed feelings about leveling up of units and leaders in a Sci-fi game. Imo, in most(and the best) fantasy settings the power comes from what the unit/character is, and it is possible to develope ones body, mind, soul or a combination thereof to the point there it exceeds anything that worlds sience has created, or even can create.
In Sci-fi settings(or the current real world tech level), the power comes almost exclusively from the gear, and the only correct way to express a veterans superiority over an inexperianced soldier would be through higher initiative in an initiative system in combat, instead of player turns; and more resistance to purely psycological effects.

Yes people get attached to individual units. We see the importance of leveling next to the ability of adding mods and giving them names. A personal little wish is logging feats for individual units. "Killed a hero" "Protected the Capital" etc. Maybe we'll get to implement that one day.
And possibly replace the unit name to something unique? Like Warden, Sentinel, Silent death?

Cant wait what the new 64bit game engine will bring. Please consider doing a DD on that and what is now possible compared to what a 32bit game engine cant do.

I don't like that the unit from screenshot have bare hands while the rest of their body is fully armored. It looks weird. Almost like AoW3 berserkers ;)

I like how infantry unit edition looks right now. Can we have a little glimpse of how would mechanichal unit creation look like? Personally i'd like to see somethiing like Earth 21** franchise. At least like E2150: hull (defines hp, armor and movement abilities) + weapon + special mod (like power shield). That would be really nice.

Last edited:
I like how infantry unit edition looks right now. Can we have a little glimpse of how would mechanichal unit creation look like? Personally i'd like to see somethiing like Earth 21** franchise. At least like E2150: hull (defines hp, armor and movement abilities) + weapon + special mod (like power shield). That would be really nice.

It won't be like that. Currently you got a base unit and up to 2 modifications.

There's still work needed to be done on unit module slots. Adding slots is easy enough, but dangerous balance-wise. More testing will show.

Tier 4 spam is on our radar.

It can also get tedious - imagine building up a special commando squad or an army and having to assign multiple mods to every single darn unit individually. Now imagine doing that for multiple armies on a massive map.

Another thing to consider - can you remove a mod? Imagine your favourite dude/dudette leveling up tons and you getting a perfect high-power mod for him/her, but he/she already has the mod slots occupied. Can you remove the old mod to switch in a new one? Does the new mod replace the old one with the old one disappearing? If it is Fletchette rounds, why not. If it is an implant... nyeeh. Might the mods even be upgraded separately (or get upgraded along with the unit that wears/uses it to symbolize the unit becoming more proficient with that specific mod)?

There are plenty of questions to ask and no doubt they are being discussed internally, hope to hear about the decisions in a few weeks (mods are surely getting their own dev diary episode, right?).

This is a neat direction. I've been a fan of Age of Wonders since before it was Age of Wonders. (AoW is a spiritual successor to Master of Magic. Look it up, kids) I was initially apprehensive about the changes from Shadow Magic to AoW3, but quickly took to it, and have close to 1500 hours on record. One of my favorite games of all time. I have no doubt that Triumph will deliver a great game regardless of the direction they take, as they have proven this to me in the past, and I'm sure I will lose many more hours to it.

Renaming the Screaming Eagles? It's a good name already, but, how about Bullets with Eagle Wings? Nope, Hawkeyes? No, Flying Buttresses. Oh, hell I'm not coming up with anything better than that right now. Fast Firing Falcon Flyers! Damn, nope, nothing.

Now, how about playtesting? Will anyone be able to get in on the alpha or beta? I'd love to showcase it on my twitch channel.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the dev diaries!! And weekly, wow! Will be reading them to know more about this. So far from release (or I've missed the release date) I won't speculate, too many things unkown and others will change.

Tier 4 spam is on our radar.

What about tier 3 spam?
In case of impossibility to spam T4 (you make some kind of limit for t4 units) people begin to hire next most powerful units if they have access. Are you sure that advanced modules can negate the difference between low and high tiers? What about modules for t3/4 units? Will you make modules for high tier units worse on balance purpose?
Personally, I was a bit sad when you said that 6 slots stack system won't change. 6 slots aren't enough, you need to choose best of the best (OP from OP) for your army. In Aow2 we have 8 slots and could choose weaker or special units more freely.