• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Toio said:
is'nt the guy she married historical the HRE from HAB?
I'm not sure I understand correctly. Maximilian? Historically yes but if marriage is with PFA or KLE, Austria, HRE or not, is not chosen. Why Austria should gain provinces in this case?

Toio said:
is'nt the guy she married historical the HRE from HAB?
I guess, ....the dutch hated the german brought over by MAX so we must presume the dutch would also hate the germans from KLE and PFA

They did not hate them for being germans.
Part of the bad feelings came from different religion where the devoted catholic Habsburgs tried to support Catholizism and part came from the attempts of the Habsburgs to create a central government and effective taxation that would have taken away many of the privileges of the dutch provinces and allow the Habsburgs to spend dutch taxes in other parts of the Habsburg empire.

That is in part simulated by the dutch revolt events - if the owner of the dutch provinces is not catholic/CRC or not centralistic then the dutch won´t revolt away.

YodaMaster said:
I'm not sure I understand correctly. Maximilian? Historically yes but if marriage is with PFA or KLE, Austria, HRE or not, is not chosen. Why Austria should gain provinces in this case?

i am saying that option a should be like this

#(1477) The Marriage of Mary of Burgundy
event = {
id = 3597
trigger = {
exists = FRA
exists = HAB
}
random = no
country = BUR
name = "EVENTNAME3597" #The Marriage of Mary of Burgundy
desc = "EVENTHIST3597"
#-#Mary of Valois was the only daughter of Charles le Téméraire (Charles the Bold) and so heiress of all the rich Burgundian domains from the Saone River up to the Low Countries. When her father died in 1477 at the age of 43, Mary was only nineteen and Louis XI of France seized the opportunity provided with his rival's death to take possession of the duchy of Burgundy and also of Franche-Comté, Picardie and Artois. He justified his military intervention with the fact that these lands had always been fiefs to the French crown and that with Charles' death, the last member of the French Valois dynasty they had 'de facto', according to the salic law, reverted to France. But the choice of which prince should marry the duchess would be of particular importance for the future political and economical stability of Western Europe, so he urged Mary to accept his son, the Dauphin Charles, as husband, in order to secure the inheritance of the Low Countries for his descendants too, even by force of arms if necessary. Mary, however, distrusted Louis and declined any French support and offer of marriage but, in order to be recognized as legitimate ruler over the Low Countries and to get financial and military help of Flemish cities against the French aggression, she made so great concessions as to reduce the Burgundian states effectively to a sort of federation of provinces. Satisfied that the country was sufficiently weakened and disorganized, Louis XI ordered his army into Artois and Hainault, but the imminence of danger seemed to revive in the Burgundian provinces a spirit of loyalty towards the Valois heiress and arrangements were made for the marriage of Mary with Maximilian of Habsburg, Archduke of Austria and son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III. The alliance with the Empire was intended to save the inheritance of the young princess from the French hands. However it would result in thereafter making Low Countries direct dominions of the House of Habsburg. The marriage between Mary and Maximilian was hastily celebrated at Ghent on 18 August 1477.

date = { day = 18 month = August year = 1477 }

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME3597A" #Marry the Archduke of Austria
command = { type = breakvassal which = FRA }
command = { type = breakvassal which = ENG }
command = { type = stability value = 2 }
command = { type = dynastic which = HAB }
command = { type = setflag which = [Habsburg] }
command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -50 }
command = { type = wakeleader which = 027303 } #Maximilian (BUR)
command = { type = independence which = FRI }
command = { type = independence which = KLE }
command = { type = independence which = HAN }
command = { type = independence which = KOL }
command = { type = independence which = PFA }
command = { type = independence which = OLD }
command = { type = independence which = BRE }
command = { type = independence which = MUN }
command = { type = independence which = LOR }
command = { type = independence which = HES }
command = { type = independence which = MAI }
command = { type = independence which = SAV }
command = { type = independence which = HEL }
command = { type = independence which = PRO }
command = { type = revolt which = 338 } #Geldre
command = { type = revolt which = 380 } #Flandern
command = { type = secedeprovince which = TYR value = 374 } #Alsace returned to Sigismund of Tyrol #Alsace
command = { type = secedeprovince which = TYR value = 373 } #Baden returned to Sigismund of Tyrol #Baden
#just in case Savoy, Switzerland and Palatinate already exist, even if partially
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SAV value = 404 } #Piemonte
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SAV value = 405 } #Savoie
command = { type = secedeprovince which = HEL value = 388 } #Bern
command = { type = secedeprovince which = HAB value = 380 } #Flandern
command = { type = secedeprovince which = HAB value = 387 } #Franche comte

command = { type = secedeprovince which = HEL value = 1612} #Schwyz
command = { type = secedeprovince which = PFA value = 345 } #Pfalz
command = { type = secedeprovince which = PFA value = 347 } #Würzburg
command = { type = removecore which = 374 } #Alsace
command = { type = sleepevent which = 3319 } #FRA: The Valois inheritance of Burgundy
command = { type = sleepevent which = 137046 } #BUR: The House of Kleve-Mark settles in Burgundy
command = { type = sleepevent which = 137044 } #BUR: The House of Wittelsbach settles in Burgundy
}

but if action c is taken then both PFA and KLE do not get dutch culture in their respective events

the action a, if taken would then have a secedeprovince from HAB to BUR in 1512 for the province of flanders

and also a secedeprovince from HAB to SPA in 1556 for the province of franche comte

Toio said:
but if action c is taken then both PFA and KLE do not get dutch culture in their respective events
We need to rework descriptions to match this.

Toio said:
the action a, if taken would then have a secedeprovince from HAB to BUR in 1512 for the province of flanders

and also a secedeprovince from HAB to SPA in 1556 for the province of franche comte
Ok but it could end in conflicts between HAB and France because of the cores. Is it really necessary to model this when Maximilian is ruler of Burgundy through Mary and his son Philip after the death of Mary, at least until Treaty of Senlis?
Isn't it better for France to focus on BUR, if necessary?

I use the HAB/BUR tags intentionally for gameplay purpose.

This change can have huge impact.

#(1512) Flanders and the Burgundian Circle
event = {
id = ????
trigger = {
exists = BUR
}
random = no
country = HAB
name = "EVENTNAME-----" #Flanders and the Burgundian Circle
desc = "EVENTHIST-----"
#-#Since the county of Flanders was part of the Burgundian Netherlands. Flanders became part of the Seventeen Provinces in 1477, when the territories fell to the House of Habsburg via Maximilian I. In 1512 , Flanders was incorporated into an Imperial Circle of their own, the Burgundian Circle.

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1512 }
offset = 30
deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1512 }

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME-----A" #union with Burgundy
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
command = { type = secedeprovince which = BUR value = 380 } #Flandern
}
}

#(1519) The Habsburg inheritance - the Spanish line will rule
#by Bordic
event = {
id = 179085 #triggered by SPA_285259 A
trigger = {
core = { province = 387 data = SPA } #Franche-Comté (Spain inheriting Burgundy)
}
random = no
country = HAB
name = "EVENTNAME285259" #The Habsburg inheritance
desc = "EVENTHIST179085"
#-#In 1496, when the King of Aragon Ferdinand and the Queen of Castile Isabella married their heir Joan the Mad to Habsburg heir Philip the Fair, they started the historical union between what would be called the Spanish and the Austria Habsburgs. The son from this marriage, Charles V, would become the emperor of the largest territory in Western Europe, having inherited the lands of Castile, Aragon, Burgundy and Austria. The Habsburgs would pursue this intra-family wedding policy till the end of the 17th century. King Karl has decided to rule the Habsburg dominions from his Court in Spain.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME179085A" #Humbly accept Karl's wise decision
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = infra value = 500 }
command = { type = diplomats value = -6 }
command = { type = domestic which = CENTRALIZATION value = 1 }
#Burgundian inheritance and claims
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 337 } #Friesen
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 338 } #Geldre
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 339 } #Holland
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 340 } #Zeeland
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 376 } #Nivernais
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 377 } #Luxembourg
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 378 } #Brabant
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 379 } #Artois
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 380 } #Flandern
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 383 } #Picardie
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 386 } #Champagne
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 387 } #Franche-Comté
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 409 } #Bourgogne
#Italian conquests
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 393 } #Napoli
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 394 } #Apulia
}
}

#(1556) The Empire of the Habsburgs
event = {
id = 179089 #triggered by SPA_285252
random = no
country = HAB
name = "EVENTNAME179089" #The Empire of the Habsburgs
desc = "EVENTHIST285253"
#-#In 1556 Emperor Charles decided to abdicate and before his retirement to the monastery of Yuste in Extremadura, he passed his imperial title to his brother Ferdinand, who he already entrusted with the government of the Habsburg hereditary lands in 1521 and supported his election as King of the Romans in 1531, making him his designated heir as Emperor. After Charles's abdication, Ferdinand would have assumed the title of Holy Roman Emperor, Charles seemingly having agreed to exclude his own son Felipe from the succession to the Austrian line of the House of Habsburg, which instead passed to Ferdinand's eldest son Maximilian as much as the imperial title.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME179089A" #Support Charles' will
command = { type = treasury value = -200 }
command = { type = relation which = BAY value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = BOH value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = BRA value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = BRE value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = HAN value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = HES value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = KLE value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = KOL value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = LOR value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = MAI value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = MEC value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = MUN value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = OLD value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = PFA value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = POM value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = PRM value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = PRU value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = ROM value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = SAC value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = SHL value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = STR value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = STT value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = TYR value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = U16 value = 50 }
command = { type = relation which = WUR value = 50 }
command = { type = secedeprovince which = SPA value = 387 } #Franche-Comté
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME179089B" #Ignore Charles' will
command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 24 }
command = { type = vp value = -5 }
}
}

these are how or when the events occurred

on franche comte

The name Franche-Comté did not officially appear until 1366. It had been a territory of the County of Burgundy from 888, the province becoming subject to the Holy Roman Empire in 1034. It was definitively separated from the neighbouring Duchy of Burgundy upon the latter's incorporation into France in 1477. It was transferred to Austria in 1481 and to Spain in 1556.

If you see in early pages of his thread you will find that we already discussed this topic of Franche-Comté being HRE territory and not HAB territory...

Apart from this, there is a FRA event dealing with FC being ceded to Burgundy during the Italian Wars. How would you deal with this?

And about hating the Germans, wasn't here stated that the Dutch were Germans during this period of time, and that "being Dutchman" was only to feel independent from Spanish Habsburgs?

Bordic said:
If you see in early pages of his thread you will find that we already discussed this topic of Franche-Comté being HRE territory and not HAB territory...

Apart from this, there is a FRA event dealing with FC being ceded to Burgundy during the Italian Wars. How would you deal with this?

And about hating the Germans, wasn't here stated that the Dutch were Germans during this period of time, and that "being Dutchman" was only to feel independent from Spanish Habsburgs?

I cannot find it, please let me know the post #

The german hatred was due to MAX bringing bavarian and/or High german troops to the low countires to monitor his lands while the low german troops ones departed for GEL, FRI, OLD, bremen areas

the failure to pay his troops led to these troops ravaging the countryside.

Toio said:
I cannot find it, please let me know the post #
Bordic said:
Page 17, from post #338
And involved events for secession of Franche-Comté in French events are FRA_170000 "The Treaty of Senlis" (to Burgundy), FRA_170159 "The neutrality of Franche-Comté" (to Burgundy), FRA_12027 " François Ier against the Empire" (to Spain) and FRA_12028 "The Peace of Cambrai" (to Spain).

Franche-Comté as condition of SPA core is used in many FRA events.

YodaMaster said:
Franche-Comté as condition of SPA core is used in many FRA events.
FC as condition of SPA core is used in each event dealing with Spain inheriting Burgundy. It is one of the main conditions used to test if France and Spain are acting historically in the Low Countries. TYW and WoSS were also consequences.

Not to mention Dutch revolts from Spain...

Bordic said:
Page 17, from post #338.

ok, I read it through to 346. in which I raised the question as well.

If this is the consensus fro FC then ok, but what about flanders?

and also

why is a flag= Breton Lords in a trigger ??

#(1493-1498) The Treaty of Senlis
event = {
id = 170000
trigger = {
exists = BUR
event = 170061 #FRA: Margarete's dowry
OR = {
event = 170206 #FRA: Duchess Anne of Brittany Surrenders
event = 170158 #FRA: Duchess Anne of Brittany Surrenders (BRI doesn't exist)
vassal = { country = FRA country = BRI }
alliance = { country = FRA country = BRI }
AND = {
flag = [Breton_Lords]
NOT = { exists = BRI }
OR = {
owned = { province = 414 data = -1 } #Armor
owned = { province = 415 data = -1 } #Bretagne
owned = { province = 416 data = -1 } #Morbihan
}
}
}
}
random = no
country = FRA

I seem to be unable to fire this event.

On another matter.....should there be a way for SPA or HAB to own the lowcountries if BUR gets wiped out after 1477 and before 1517? . I mean it happens about 50% of the time in my games.

[Breton_Lords] is set in FRA_170200 "The Treaty of Châteaubriant". There is no problem for its use as a condition. In FRA_170000, it is included in the OR condition that is open enough to see the event firing, at least if Burgundy exists and FRA_170061 fired.

About Flanders, problem is always the same for me: For the gameplay, is it wiser to have Flandern as part of Burgundy (even if ruled directly by Maximilian and this is the case for Burgundy as a whole through Marie and his son afterwards) or have it directly owned by Austria and under French core (possible war with unwanted results)?

How could SPA or HAB have a presence in the lowcountries if other countries annexed all the involved provinces in the area?

YodaMaster said:
[Breton_Lords] is set in FRA_170200 "The Treaty of Châteaubriant". There is no problem for its use as a condition. In FRA_170000, it is included in the OR condition that is open enough to see the event firing, at least if Burgundy exists and FRA_170061 fired.

About Flanders, problem is always the same for me: For the gameplay, is it wiser to have Flandern as part of Burgundy (even if ruled directly by Maximilian and this is the case for Burgundy as a whole through Marie and his son afterwards) or have it directly owned by Austria and under French core (possible war with unwanted results)?

How could SPA or HAB have a presence in the lowcountries if other countries annexed all the involved provinces in the area?

I have tested my recommendations and I see that we need to leave events as they currently are........the only issue now is the mass dow on BUR by neighbours after 1477....currently a 10 province BUR ( in 1477) after marrying HAB is involved in 7 separate wars. by 1481 BUR was left with 1 province. Clearly we need to see what the issue is.
My changes which I am testing is a lowering of BB, so I have a -5 BB on the great privelege event and a -5 BB if mary marries MAX

Tested many games and i see a BUR which at the time of the marriage with mary have a BB of between 25 and 35. This leads to many wars after 1477 because BUR release (give independence) many owned nations and thus look weaker

I am unsure if this is the only reason for the many wars BUR have to fight

Yes, this is probably the main cause and I observed it too. Don't forget AI countries will focus on the country with the biggest BB (player or AI) but relative strength is taken in account too.

AFAIK, 1 BB point is lost for each seceded province but this is not very much when 6 BB points were needed to conquer the province. And this is almost always the case with conquests of Burgundy and monoprovincial countries.

Last edited:
YodaMaster said:
Yes, this is probably the main cause and I observed it too. Don't forget AI countries will focus on the country with the biggest BB (player or AI) but relative strength is taken in account too.

AFAIK, 1 BB point is lost for each seceded province but this is not very much when 6 BB points were needed to conquer the province. And this is almost always the case with conquests of Burgundy and monoprovincial countries.

should we then have a reduce BB by 10 for the great privelege event and also a reduce BB of 10 in option A of Mary of burgundy

I am testing ATM

YodaMaster said:
Ok, inform us of your result.

tested 3 games, only one war against FRA by BUR .......dow came from BUR

no other wars.

YodaMaster said:
It seems fine. Which events did you modify for the BB loss?

these below

Code:
#(1477) The Great Privilege
event = {
	id = 137311
	trigger = {
		flag = [Brussels]
	}
	random = no
	country = BUR
	name = "EVENTNAME137311" #The Great Privilege
	desc = "EVENTHIST137311"

date = { day = 1 month = february year = 1477 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1477 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME137311A" #Abide in order to acquire assistance and defend the duchy
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = treasury value = 100 }
		command = { type = INF which = -2 value = 10000 }
		command = { type = CAV which = -2 value = 4000 }
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 338 value = -10 } #Geldre
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 339 value = -10 } #Holland
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 340 value = -10 } #Zeeland
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 378 value = -10 } #Brabant
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 379 value = -10 } #Artois
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 380 value = -10 } #Flandern
		command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = badboy value = -10 }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = -1 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 137312 } #BUR: The Lowland Rebellion Is Crushed
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME137311B" #Refuse to relinquish any hold on the Low Countries...
		command = { type = revolt which = -2 }
		command = { type = revolt which = -2 }
		command = { type = revolt which = -1 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 137021 } #BUR: The new Archduke of Burgundy
	}
}

#-#In the chaotic and volitile political environment that followed the demise of Burgundy's most aggressive ruler, Charles 'the Bold', Mary, Duchess of Burgundy and daughter of Charles, was inevitably forced by her disgruntled subjects in the lowlands to sign the 'Great Privilege' in order to obtain their assistance against the aggression of the King of France, Louis XI. The Charter of Rights obtained from Mary restored to the Flemish burghs all the local and communal rights which had been abolished by the arbitrary decrees of Mary's predecessors in their efforts to create a centralized state in the Low Countries. Declarations of war, peace treaties, and taxation, among other issues, were now subject to the consent of the Three Estates in the Low Countries.

Code:
#(1477) The Marriage of Mary of Burgundy
event = {
	id = 3597
	trigger = {
		exists = FRA
		exists = HAB
	}
	random = no
	country = BUR
	name = "EVENTNAME3597" #The Marriage of Mary of Burgundy
	desc = "EVENTHIST3597"

date = { day = 18 month = August year = 1477 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3597A" #Marry the Archduke of Austria
		command = { type = breakvassal which = FRA }
		command = { type = dynastic which = HAB }
		command = { type = setflag which = [Habsburg] }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -50 }
		command = { type = wakeleader which = 027303 } #Maximilian (BUR)
		command = { type = independence which = OLD }
		command = { type = independence which = BRE }
		command = { type = revolt which = 338 } #Geldre
		command = { type = revolt which = 380 } #Flandern
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TYR value = 374 } #Alsace returned to Sigismund of Tyrol #Alsace
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TYR value = 373 } #Baden returned to Sigismund of Tyrol #Baden
		#just in case Savoy, Switzerland and Palatinate already exist, even if partially
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = badboy value = -10 }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = removecore which = 374 } #Alsace
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3319 } #FRA: The Valois inheritance of Burgundy
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 137046 } #BUR: The House of Kleve-Mark settles in Burgundy
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 137044 } #BUR: The House of Wittelsbach settles in Burgundy
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3597B" #Marry the Dauphin of France (End Game)
		command = { type = dynastic which = FRA }
		command = { type = independence which = GEL }
		command = { type = revolt which = 334 } #Münster
		command = { type = revolt which = 334 } #Münster
		command = { type = revolt which = 335 } #Oldenburg
		command = { type = revolt which = 335 } #Oldenburg
		command = { type = revolt which = 336 } #Bremen
		command = { type = revolt which = 336 } #Bremen
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = HAB value = 374 } #Alsace
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = HAB value = 373 } #Baden
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = HAB value = 387 } #Franche-Comté
		#just in case Savoy, Switzerland and Palatinate already exist, even partially
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3178 } #HAB: The Habsburg inheritance of Burgundy
		command = { type = trigger which = 3180 } #HAB: France inherits Burgundy
	}
	action_c = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3597C" #Marry another Prince instead
		command = { type = setflag which = [Imperial_candidate] }
		command = { type = land value = 1000 }
		command = { type = domestic which = ARISTOCRACY value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = CENTRALIZATION value = 2 }
		command = { type = domestic which = INNOVATIVE value = 1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = MERCANTILISM value = -2 }
		command = { type = domestic which = QUALITY value = 1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = SERFDOM value = -2 }
		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = -150 }
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 48 value = 4 }
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027005 } #Philippe IV le Beau
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027006 } #Charles II
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027007 } #Philippe V °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027008 } #Philippe VI °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027009 } #Philippe VII °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027010 } #Charles III °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027011 } #Philippe VIII °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027012 } #Ferdinand Ier °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027013 } #Charles IV °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027014 } #Charles V °
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 027015 } #Ferdinand II °
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027017 } #Philippe IV *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027018 } #Charles II *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027019 } #Jean II Roi de Lune *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027020 } #Henri Ier *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027021 } #Charles III *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027022 } #Philippe V *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027023 } #Marie *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027024 } #Charles IV *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027025 } #Jean III *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 027026 } #Henri II *
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3178 } #HAB: The Habsburg Inheritance of Burgundy
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 22007 } #U16: The sale of Friesland
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 273037 } #SAC: The sale of Friesland
	}
}

#-#Mary of Valois was the only daughter of Charles le Téméraire (Charles the Bold) and so heiress of all the rich Burgundian domains from the Saone River up to the Low Countries. When her father died in 1477 at the age of 43, Mary was only nineteen and Louis XI of France seized the opportunity provided with his rival's death to take possession of the duchy of Burgundy and also of Franche-Comté, Picardie and Artois. He justified his military intervention with the fact that these lands had always been fiefs to the French crown and that with Charles' death, the last member of the French Valois dynasty they had 'de facto', according to the salic law, reverted to France. But the choice of which prince should marry the duchess would be of particular importance for the future political and economical stability of Western Europe, so he urged Mary to accept his son, the Dauphin Charles, as husband, in order to secure the inheritance of the Low Countries for his descendants too, even by force of arms if necessary. Mary, however, distrusted Louis and declined any French support and offer of marriage but, in order to be recognized as legitimate ruler over the Low Countries and to get financial and military help of Flemish cities against the French aggression, she made so great concessions as to reduce the Burgundian states effectively to a sort of federation of provinces. Satisfied that the country was sufficiently weakened and disorganized, Louis XI ordered his army into Artois and Hainault, but the imminence of danger seemed to revive in the Burgundian provinces a spirit of loyalty towards the Valois heiress and arrangements were made for the marriage of Mary with Maximilian of Habsburg, Archduke of Austria and son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III. The alliance with the Empire was intended to save the inheritance of the young princess from the French hands. However it would result in thereafter making Low Countries direct dominions of the House of Habsburg. The marriage between Mary and Maximilian was hastily celebrated at Ghent on 18 August 1477.