• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
it seems you have awfully little in terms of really mobile forces.
That's pretty historical imo. In 1939 the German army, though ready for war, wasn't all that motorised nor large. The wehrmacht was expanded by almost 50% in 1940-41 and that's when it became a really mobile and a large army

Reactions:
You can hold 6 divisions in every slovakian-poland border provinces and 20 division in every your border provinces with Poland.Poland AI concepted on defend against Germany,not for invasion in Slovakia
I was not taking a defensive stance :). There is a VP located in the Southeast part of Poland. I want it fast, I want to minimize my casualties, I want to be able to assault Krakow too, and finally I want to use these forces to surround Warsaw from the East. All this require more than 6 troops.

Bye bye, Poland, it's been nice to know you. Pretty lovely map of the disposition of your forces, btw. But it seems you have awfully little in terms of really mobile forces.
As Ruostenyrkki wrote it, I think that this is not un-historical.

Vfu1QPo.jpg

Last edited:
Why are there so few VPs? It seems pretty easy to defeat smaller countries without really crushing their armies. (But I guess that's what blitzkrieg was supposed to be about...)

It is the case with AoD as well. HOI 3 can spread more due to having more provinces, nothing new here.

BTW based on your AAR I decided to buy the game as it´s quite cheap. How much IC do you have by now?

Last edited:
Why are there so few VPs? It seems pretty easy to defeat smaller countries without really crushing their armies. (But I guess that's what blitzkrieg was supposed to be about...)
Smaller countries means easier to be defeated by larger countries implicitly. When there is no hope at all to reverse the situation once the front line has been crushed, there are some justifications for the surviving soldiers to surrender. Unless you know the future.

It is the case with AoD as well. HOI 3 can spread more due to having more provinces, nothing new here.

BTW based on your AAR I decided to buy the game as it´s quite cheap. How much IC do you have by now?
Welcome to the club! My current effective IC is 302 just before the war.

1ufmcJk.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting... so does the AI get some bônus? Because in my game playing as UK, Germany has more than 500 (playing with WiF2 BTW). Could that be only by sliders and ministers or is there some AI bônus? Or maybe they simply spam IC more?

Hey, if you have the save fro mbefore the war and some spare time, perhaps you could play as Poland against the behemoth you created just for fun? :)
I may give it a try, that is good idea. I have all the saves anyway.

Interesting... so does the AI get some bônus? Because in my game playing as UK, Germany has more than 500 (playing with WiF2 BTW). Could that be only by sliders and ministers or is there some AI bônus? Or maybe they simply spam IC more?
Germany's AI probably produce another round of industries, but the main reason is the bonus that AI receives.

And it´s a big one... Loading as Germany in 1933 start as human or loading as other country and seeing their IC, the difference is massive. How much is it? Or is it because the AIs don´t start with the massive dissent?

There are some differences as far as dissent is concerned, that's for sure.

Also, WIF2 uses AI cheating to a great extent, because the author has no illusion that the game will be challenging for an experienced player without this. And WIF2 is definitely NOT for newbies.

Well, now that we're at war, maybe it is time to retire the 'Völkischer Beobachter' and replace it with the Wochenschau, or perhaps some sort of 'Kriegsberichterstattung'.

There are some differences as far as dissent is concerned, that's for sure.

Also, WIF2 uses AI cheating to a great extent, because the author has no illusion that the game will be challenging for an experienced player without this. And WIF2 is definitely NOT for newbies.

Well I found the file :)

Think the bonuses are quite massive and I personally hate games that give such boosts. I´ll cut them in half. The problem as I see it is that the bonuses aren´t revealed, and thus you think that missions like Smear campaign are worth it when they are not, as the AI soon loses its dissent.

Well, now that we're at war, maybe it is time to retire the 'Völkischer Beobachter' and replace it with the Wochenschau, or perhaps some sort of 'Kriegsberichterstattung'.

I second this.
Reading the 'Völkischer Beobachter' gives me uneasy chills.

Thank you for the reminder. I posted something like that in the past, for after the beginning of the war.
I don't want the Wochensau since it was quite creepy if I remember correctly. I thought that the Völkischer Beobachter was not as bad, but De Cive appears to think differently. I will defer to him since I am not German.
It will be Die Wehrmacht then.

What does the "Scapa Flow attack" event do?

Your subs will sink the Royal oak (British battleship) and perhaps something else

So it's based on the historical sinking of that ship (by a sub), or are there ahistorical results (a German "pearl harbour"-like carrier strike)?

Thank you for the reminder. I posted something like that in the past, for after the beginning of the war.
I don't want the Wochensau since it was quite creepy if I remember correctly. I thought that the Völkischer Beobachter was not as bad, but De Cive appears to think differently. I will defer to him since I am not German.
It will be Die Wehrmacht then.

I am really enjoying your AAR and my sole opinion shoul not prevent you from using the Völkischer Beobachter in the futur. It was the central NSDAP newspaper after all and I can understand that one might use for historical flavour.

Eventually I might be a bit more sensitive on this subject than other Germans so decide for yourself.

My point is that the Völkischer Beobachter was a paper focusing on Nazi agitatation and used harsh, cynic and aggressive language. Besides the infamous "Der Stürmer" it was one of the most active Nazi press organs that propagandized that racist and anti-Semitic body of thought that eventually led to the holocaust.

Not that there is any of that in your version, I am just trying to explain why some people might feel uneasy.

I guess "Die Wehrmacht" is a really good idea as it concentrates what Darkest Hour is about... being a wargame.

Well after seeing what happens in-game, I think when I play Germany I will simply remove all AI boosts :)

The problem, IMO, is that the mod forces the player too much to do historical choices. IMO as much as I like the decisions etc that the mod gives, Fernando Torres made some dubious choices about the difficulty in his mod.

"The humans play better than the AI". Sure they do. However, much of that has to do with the fact that players will play two or three times, correct their mistakes (oh why I spent so much on diplo, or why I built that) and then "power-game" - that is, make only the "best" choices. For example, you simply didn´t use intel or other fancy options like wargames, and instead used Money elsewhere, and used a rather standard build. That is bad gameplay balancing, and its why I like Ironman mod for EU 4. You make mistakes and move on, and there is no "best" way to play. Here, you play a country two or three times, find the optimal path, and only use it.

IMO normal should be that, normal (and thus allow the player to follow many paths), and Hard and Very hard be focused on veteran players. As it is, it´s simply impossible to do ahistorical stuff in the mod, or even use other paths.

On the other hand if you do accomplish a Seelowe or invade SU from Turkey I will be impressed and accept my noob status :)

Last edited:
I must disagree emphatically with what was said above. The problem of all HoI2 games is the fact that the AI is scripted and it is by default rather bad. Humans develop strategies and then implement them; if they run into a problem, they improvise, adapt the strategy, and continue. HoI2 AI simply builds units according to a pre-set template and then more-or-less randomly uses them against the player. This inability to think, to react and adapt to players' strategies needs to be offset by something - and the choice WiF made was to give the AI really tough bonuses to force the human player to really capitalize on his (or her) advantages - or lose the bloody game. It may be frustrating to some players that they just can't win every time, but if that's the case, don't play WiF.

Another thing is that this mod is really meant to give you a WW2 experience. Ahistorical outcomes are of course possible, but that's not what this mod is about.