• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Storey Spreadable Glory of God coming right up, half fat, courtesy of St Ivel Gold ;)

thames I'm told poverty is a good thing - GP is clearly going straight to hell whereas Roger is busing building a stairway to heaven :D

Rex Angliae It is a tasty looking morsel to be sure.

Ladislav Thanks for posting, I like all my readers!

Fiftypence Thank you.

As for the next update, I have one event finishing ironing out the wrinkles. Should have a post up this afternoon *cross fingers*.

- Of the Year 1092 -

That winter was very cold, the coldest that I could recall in my time in England to that point. The rivers froze in their course, beasts would die covered in frost, and many people also perished, among them Lord Butler who passed into the Mercy of the Lord on the Feastday of St Apollonia, two days into the Season of Lent. This death precipitated a small crisis, for the question arose who should govern Somersetshire in Earl Roger’s stead whilst he was away.

In London the Council was in deep debate, and divided. Lord William, seeing a chance to extract revenge was pushing the candidacy of his former chaplain, John de Villula. Since he removed himself to Bath this false successor to the apostles had turned the ancient city of Bath into a den of whores and robbers. The only surety for a man’s life was his favour, and this favour could only be bought at great expense. Men had to place themselves and their entire families into servitude, only to be abused all the more. He auctioned the predendaries of his see, and one could buy a rich parish for thirty marks, or a poor one for five. He spent this ill-gathered loot on his own pleasure, including many grand houses for his own enjoyment.

To propose this unworthy creature Lord William had secured the support of Earl Edwin of Chester, by blandishments and favours (including, it is said, his virgin daughter raped for her father’s ambition). When the Marcher Earl suggested that instead Lord Humphrey was the natural choice Earl Edwin responded by making false accusation that Lord Humphrey had sworn a monk’s vow in secret, and even now he broke it, being married. In this, he said, he was encouraged by my lady Yolande, whom he called harlot and named Delilah. The Council was in uproar over such groundless allegations, and yet the good prelate Anselm had to take this business seriously.

So it was Lord Humphrey explained how this rumour might have come about. Years before, while his brother Osmond was still alive, he had asked his father’s permission to take the Holy Vows when he was of suitable age. Lord Roger denied this, knowing his son was unsuited to the world of the cloister. Moreover, he laid before the legate evidence of the rule of the simoniac Villula, and told him that others could confirm the man’s corruption.

Yet we had other allies. Ever since the matter of Alweard’s return Lady Sybilla had been cultivating the friendship of the Earl of Norfolk, and he had come to hold her in very high regard. So it was she prevailed upon him to see the righteousness of our cause and the weakness of our opponents. More surprising was when, in the next Council session, Earl Morcar broke with his brother and denounced him in front of the entire council, for he had been incensed by his brother’s claims against the Lady Yolande. This decided the matter, and Lord Humphrey was appointed Deputy Sheriff, and Lord William was again thwarted, for a time. For his part Anselm began an investigation into the Bishop of Bath’s nefarious activities.

Humphrey de Courseulles thinks he could be a better chaplain - reward generously (6 gold to Humphrey)
Marshal Osmond Butler dies of Old Age
Humphrey de Courseulles made Marshal

Despite these travails Lord Roger was ever in our prayers and foremost in our thoughts. In the spring we heard word from the King, who wrote a long letter telling of how he and the German troops had been ambushed in the mountains of Navarre and nearly the whole host had been destroyed. The king himself had only barely escaped into Castille, where the infidels were checked and had themselves been routed. Yet we heard nothing from Lord Roger, and this cast a great pall over the entire court even though there was much to celebrate, not least the successful birth of a daughter to Lord Humphrey and Lady Yolande, named Umfreda, on the last day of June.

Umfreda de Courseulles 4/6/5/8

Yet at last our prayers were answered, for two weeks later a ship arrived in London from Lord Roger, bearing several letters, some for the Council and some for his family.

Departing from the Porto in Braganza there was a great storm, and his fleet and the fleet of the King of Scotland became separated. Some said that they should turn back, yet Lord Roger was true in his course and they sailed down the coast, raiding as they went, until at they sailed their ships under the fortress of Huelva. The King of Seville had granted this whole area to a Lord who had his chief seat in the fortress of Niebla, some 20 miles away. But at Huevla he maintained a strong fortress because of the excellent harbour. Hearing of Lord Roger’s advance he mustered his forces, and attacked us as our army disembarked.

Lord Roger had been prepared for such low tactics and had ensured that the whole army was blessed and sanctified, that every man began the day without sin and had kept the night in vigil. Now armed and armoured by the Lord of Hosts they descended from our ships and made great slaughter in ranks of the heathen. In chaos part of the army withdrew into the fortress of Huelva and the rest fled in the direction of Niebla.

Now the King of Sevilla was beset on all sides, for seeing how he was assailed from every quarter all his enemies made war on him. The City of Corduba took up the cause of Toledo, whom Sevilla had just crushed, and over-ran these recently conquered lands and began to press into the heartlands of Sevilla itself. Moreover they sent an army into Navarra. Meanwhile the Lord of Zaragosa permitted free passage to the army of the King of Castille as he attacked our enemies from the north. The defenders of Huevla, beleagured by the army of Lord Roger, soon surrendered. As he moved out to siege Niebla itself Lord Roger dispatched his messenger who brought these tidings I have just related.

The ship also brought back a captive, an infidel mason who had agreed to be baptised and had taken the name of John. This John brought with him knowledge of how the Romans of old had built, for copies of their documents remained in the infidel lands, and John had learned from them. My lord ordered all such works to be gathered, and in his missive he had also wrote of his intention to have these works sent back to the Great Library.

Basilican Structures discovered in Somerset (Research Brickwork Structures)

Three months later Lord Roger wrote again, and he told of how the King of Scotland had arrived and laid siege the great castle of Badajoz, further up the country, and of how everywhere the King of Sevilla was being defeated. The Earl Roger himself remained intent upon the siege of Niebla, which was well provisioned and cunningly defended. As he waited for the city of fall he made the entire country his, and began to grant manors to his retainers. Also in this letter he commanded that a wealthy manor be set aside for Lady Adelaide, for her years of service, and she was granted East Lydeard, formerly held by the King but given to Lord Roger before he sailed. Thereafter the roughness of the seas and general inclemency of the weather prevented further communication.

Steward Adelaide FitzOsbern served for many years (Adelaide Prestiage +50)

Lord Roger had also written to order that his son, Master Serlo, be trained in the arts of war so that he could become a mighty captain. The young boy was not the most gifted childhood fighter, being rather slight of build, but where he lacked in strength he made up with the boundless enthusiasm of youth.

Serlo de Courseulles - Martial Education

This energy would sometimes land the little boy in trouble, as it would often cause him to cross his elders. So it was one November morning, when Lord Humphrey and all of us were visiting the Great Monastery, in his tireless desire to slay enemies he ambushed his brother, Master Silvester, while the latter was at prayer. Master Silvester had quickly taken to the life at the monastery, and displayed such immediate and comfortable devotion that the Abbot remarked it was as if he were destined for this life. He also displayed an incisive and roving intelligence, and was quick to learn anything he was taught. He was very friendly with his brother Lord Humphrey, and there was not a trace of the rivalry that had beset my Lords Humphrey and Osmond. Master Silvester was full of wrath at being disturbed and made a plaything, but true to his calling he did not give into his rage but instead talked to his brother (I was present) and said how Serlo must learn patience it he were to amount to anything. I believe Lord Humphrey was humoured, and put young Serlo in Silvester’s charge until he would call them both to the Christmas Court. For four weeks Serlo had to live by his brother’s strict routine, mirroring his actions and having his boisterousness tempered by the lash and by holy fare of bread and water. Young Serlo never again troubled his brother in any fashion.

Silvester de Courseulles gets back at others (+Vengeful)

That Christmas was most noticeable for the insult that Alweard offered to my lady Valdrade, daughter of Earl Roger and lady Adela, who was making her introduction at Court. I shall not repeat the filth that passed from his mouth, but my Lord Humphrey hearing his sister so abused expressed his anger in no uncertain terms, and Alweard was unable to eat any but the softest foods that whole winter on account of a broken jaw. The Legate Anselm then enjoined a peace on the Court, but Lord William was ordered to depart as soon as the weather cleared. We returned to Taunton soon after, to news that my Lord’s long companion and helper, Lady Emma de Leyburne, had passed away in her sleep the night after the Feast of the Epiphany. She was buried with great honour at the Great Monastery. Soon after Lady Yolande announced she was again pregnant.

Valdrade de Courseulles - Court Education
Lady Emma de Leyburne dies of Old Age

Game Notes

By the end of this update I was 55 gold into the red, and was desperately hoping not to get that 'sell the library' event.

I actually have no idea what happened to King William, but I think what I've said is a reasonable hypothesis. In any event Corduba conquered Navarre around this time. Indeed, Corduba is busiy gobbling up everything in sight. Sevilla had managed to conquer Toleda, but has clearly been exhausted by the war because she has no armies left to defend herself. I attacked a vassal - the sheikdom of Niebla. As for the Scots one month they weren't there, and the next month they were. Thankfully not siege-stealing! Basically, when it comes to crusading counts aren't terribly effective!

Stnylan,The usual high standard update. This remains a "must-read" for me and I suspect many others. Great work.

Finally got around to finishing this. Also to posting. A very nice read, as many have said before me. Pray, continue!

Edit: forgot to say: good luck on the crusade!

Last edited:
Finally got around to catching up here and it sounds like it's been busy. As for the $ issues - if you are fighting a vassal of Sevilla, they may offer you a nice financial settlement that allows you to keep crusading against others. If they have anything to give, that is. And good thing the King of Scotland isn't stealing your sieges...yet.

As for home - nice work with Yolanda. Now she needs to have a son for it to truly mean anything.

And finally, who will take over this telling once Brother William passes I wonder?

Great work, as usual. And keep the faith down south. :D

Crusades are always a big money waster, but the greater glory is much more important. :D I agree with coz1: see if you can mug some infidel. The AI does have an odd habit of hoarding money and then offering it all when it gets beat.

I liked the "John" part. Just make sure he's not a false convert! I think Serlo is going to be an interesting character, too. Hopefully he'll learn patience and put on a little muscle! :D

Good luck in Iberia, watch out for those Scots! :D

Dear All

Sorry for the interruption to this again. There has been a rather nasty few thigns going on at work which was taking my time. Then last weekend I had more important matters on my mind. Given that the situation at work continues I am not sure whether I will be able to continue this AAR much at all, but we will see how things play out.

All the best
Lewis

If you decide to come back to it, stnylan, we will be here. Until then, take care of those more important things in life and even if this does not continue, know that we here will be a place to come to when you need to get away...and even write a little bit. :)

Take care of yourself and you and your family are in my prayers.

stnylan - any chance that you might find the time (and game) to get this baby back up and running? And if not - can we expect a new one from you? This was a great effort and I always love your work. Just thought about it earlier this evening and thought I'd toss out a bone...see if you might chew. :D

Strange to say I have been tossing that one around in my mind the last week or so. Considering resurrecting this one or thinking of ideas for a new one. This one might be quite an interesting exercise from the 'chronicle' perspective - since I would mostly be working from my notes (I tend to take fairly extensive notes as you might recall) On the other hand I was also thinking of doing something similar to Director's Essays on Bremen, or perhaps just a series of short stories sort of like an Edward Rutherfurd novel. Or just a new chronicle. I do like chronicles. Were I to start a new one though I'd wait until after I came back from my holiday. If I decide to resurrect this one, it'll happen sooner.

I took up your suggestion and had a couple of enjoyable hours reading through this. The chronicle perspective makes for a great change from the usual, more 'realistic' narratives. I especially liked all those scenes where brother William would heap praise on Lord Roger or one of his family members, only for it to be followed by one of those damning little green lines like "Lord Roger displays cowardice in battle" or "Lord Humphrey gains the trait vengeful". Not only was it genuinely funny to read the brother's verbal acrobatics to turn those bad episodes into examples of virtue, it also served as a reminder that this chronicle is not, unlike most narratives on these boards, an objective retelling of what happened.

Now, I am aware that you just started "In memory of France", and mighty fine that is too, but do you still entertain any hopes of continuing this? I'm still waiting for evil William and his plaything Allweard to get their just rewards...

Anyway, regardless of whether you'll ever continue with this, it is a very pleasant read. Thanks for pointing it out to me. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Personally I thought the cowardice in battle episode was one of my finest moments in this AAR.

However, alas, I've decided not to try and resurrect this one. I did consider it very seriously, but reading through it and my notes I realised I had simply forgotten too many details to keep the consistency. I do hope to have another chronicle in time.