• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quirinus308 said:
I can't remember do you gain prestige orreduced bad boy from releasing a satallite?
How much prestige do you gain from releasing a satallite?
You'll lose some bb and that's it, you may get some prestige over time but it aint much.

I say: Crush Denmark and then rebuild!

The Gonzo said:
I say: Crush Denmark and then rebuild!
Since he needs prestige, uniting Scandinavia and annexing Denmark without a war seems to be a better option ;)

I've noticed an most of the replies to this thread come from people with Swedish flags for their avatar

Cant you not unite Scanadnavia unless you 1) Never had a war with denmark 2) Sweden supports denmark in the prussian war?

Neither of those have happened...soo...

Quirinus308 said:
I've noticed an most of the replies to this thread come from people with Swedish flags for their avatar
that will make it easy for me to find my last message when i log back in each time! :D

anyway, the only solution i know to your cash and prestige problems are not considered good form in an AAR... sorry about that! :wacko:

this is an amazing AAR! ! ! :cool:

Quirinus308 said:
And I have noticed most replies to this thread come from Swedes.

Other than that I'm just stunned you annexed Russia. Now take out the German Minors. Back to the roots, stay a warmonger!

Iron_Skull said:
Cant you not unite Scanadnavia unless you 1) Never had a war with denmark 2) Sweden supports denmark in the prussian war?

I didn't know about the war part, I'll have to reread the event file, if that's the case then I've already messed up. Anyway, I've noticed that the schleswig question is about to fire, so it looks like I'm about to get a war with Prussia and Austria.

CSK said:
And I have noticed most replies to this thread come from Swedes.

Other than that I'm just stunned you annexed Russia. Now take out the German Minors. Back to the roots, stay a warmonger!

Really, annexing Russia was not much of a challange once I got past the second war. There are so few small arms on the market right now, that the AI could never build any units to oppose me, and when he did, I quickly eliminated them. Through the course of the 22 wars I fought with Russia, I think he only built 4 or 5 new units. Of course there were partisans, but I never let my wars last to long for that to be a problem.

What amazed me however is that I've not faced any bad boy wars. My only land borders to wory about are with Prussia and Austria. I guess they are to intimidated by the size of my army to declare a badboy war.

Right now badboy is around 450!!!

As far as warmonger goes, I don't really see any way out of the prestige hole I'm in without going to war. I'm doig great on my research, but no inventions will fire because of my negative prestige, which means that although I've researched interchangeable parts, I still can't get any machine parts factories.

Iron_Skull said:

He as Sweden needs to pick Scandinavist surge when the war arrives, then he must make sure that Denmark doesn't lose any of it's provinces.
Then in 1863 the country that has the highest prestige will form the Union.

Doesn't look good for Quirinus there :p

Quirinus308 said:
Right now badboy is around 450!!!
:eek:!!!
Quirinus308 said:
As far as warmonger goes, I don't really see any way out of the prestige hole I'm in without going to war. I'm doig great on my research, but no inventions will fire because of my negative prestige, which means that although I've researched interchangeable parts, I still can't get any machine parts factories.
Then you will have to conquer some machine parts factories.

Given the prestige hole that I am in, and the fact that I need to get out of it immediately I thought I might ought to address some more of my personal house rules, so that the integrity of this AAR remain unexploited. (not counting the 22 wars with Russia)

1. Regarding Uncivs
No outright annexation of China as an unciv (although that would solve all my problems) Other uncivs are ok, but I will not be attacking them at this time because I've got other fish to fry.

2. Stealing Claims
The AI doesn't defend its claims, so stealing them is a bit of an exploit, however; You can't just ignore those claims and hope they go away. Furthermore with a 450 badboy there is no hope of trading them, so here is my personal rule: Claims may be stolen during war provided that the war is won fair and square (lets say a war score of 70 or better), if I propose the peace deal. If the AI offers peace it will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

3. Multiple wars of prestige
This is different from breaking a peace treaty for the purpose of getting more land (obviously I am in favor of that). This strategy involves declaring war on a German minor, and getting all the Germans to join in the war against you. You then make a separate peace deal with each one, but you claim nothing there fore you get 100 prestige with each deal, and their defensive treaties are still intact. You then repeat the process. It would only take two or three such wars and I could be back in the positive on prestige. My rule on this one is simple, no white peace. If I conquer a one province German minor, I will annex it. Larger countries may offer a peace deal that involves territory, and that is acceptable, but not letting the nation off free and clear just to rack up the prestige.

If anyone can think of any other exploits that I need to avoid please let me know.

Also I never adjusted the Bavarian mobilization pool, so I will have to say they are exempt from the no white peace rule (its 80 freaking divisions)

Last edited:
King Oscar I ruled over the largest empire since the Mongols, and yet he still did not get any respect. At the dying request of his father he had continued the policy of conquering Russia, but in doing so the national treasury had become bankrupt. The other nations of Europe and the world rather than being impressed by Sweden's ability to conquer a nation ten times it's size were instead mocking the kings inability to manage his finances.

Things had gotten so out of hand the Kingdom of Prussia and the Empire of Austria were trying to bully Denmark regarding the Danish holdings in Schleswig. Denmark had been under the protection of Sweden for almost 10 years (since the Third Baltic War), so these actions were not just against Denmark, they were against Sweden. The king knew that war was coming, and his advisors were urging him to take this opportunity to show the world the greatness of Sweden and restore her image by not only protecting Denmark but by crushing anyone who would dare stand against the Swedish Empire.

It was also hoped that by protecting Danish interest it would show the Danes that Oscar I was their friend, and possibly lay the foundation for the reforming of the Kolmar Union (the unification of all of Scandinavia under one monarch).

Last edited:
The Planned German Campaigns

At present the nation has -2360 prestige. I am hoping to eliminate this in 6 years through a series of wars in Germany.

The German alliances are starting to crumble.

Hanover and Frankfurt am Main have withdrawn from the alliance and have formed their own alliance. Prussia has guaranteed the independence of both.

Braunschweig has also withdrawn, and stands alone, but Prussia has also guaranteed her independence.

The only full alliance that is in place is between Prussia and Mecklenburg.

All others have mutual defensive alliances.

I will launch a series of wars against the German states and make separate peace with each nation. All peace deals will involve a transfer of land wherever possible. No white peace except in cases where there is 0 war score. Below are my projected wars for the upcoming German Campaign. Below each war are the countries I anticipate fighting in that war and my projected prestige gains in each individual peace settlement.

Schleswig (with Denmark)
Prussa 40
Austria 40
Mecklenburg 100
180 Total prestige gains

Hanover War
Prussia 40
Hanover 90
Frankfurt am Main 0 (will not do separate peace due to no land connection)
-1 Prestige for War declaration
129 Total prestige gains

Braunschweig War
Braunschweig 33
Prussia 60
-1 Prestige for war declaration
93 Total prestige gains

1st Major German War
Oldenburg 100
Hamburg 33
Mecklenburg 33
Nassau 33
Hesse-Darmstadt 100
Anhalt 33
Hesse-Kassel 100
Saxe-Weimar 33
Saxe-Meiningen 33
Lübeck 33
Bremen 33
Lippe-Dietmold 33
Saxony 100
Saxe-Coburg-Gotha 33
Bayern 30
Baden 100
Würtenburg 100
Austria 40
Prussia 60
-1 Prestige for war declaration
1059 Total prestige gains

2nd Major German War
Oldenburg 33
Hesse-Darmstadt 100
Hesse-Kassel 33
Saxony 100
Bayern 30
Baden 100
Würtenburg 100
Austria 60
Prussia 60
-100 Prestige for war declaration with a peace deal
516 Total prestige gains

3rd Major German War
Hesse-Darmstadt 33
Saxony 33
Bayern 100
Baden 33
Würtenburg 33
Austria 100
Prussia 100
332 Total prestige gains

4th Major German War
Bayern 33
Austria 100
Prussia 100
133 Total prestige gains

My total projected prestige gain is 2442. This assumes that everyone honors their alliances (which is certainly not guaranteed) Should any alliances get broken, that will only work in my favor as it will allow me to declare an extra war without violating a peace treaty.

Quirinus308 said:
...My total projected prestige gain is 2442. This assumes that everyone honors their alliances (which is certainly not guaranteed) Should any alliances get broken, that will only work in my favor as it will allow me to declare an extra war without violating a peace treaty.
that certainly looks good. it will be fun watching it play out! ! ! :cool:

Akaki said:
Simillar thing could be done in Italy I think... right?

It could but...
1. The Italian alliances are not as complete as the Germans. Only the Papal States have an alliance with everyone else.
2. There are a lot less Italian states than Germans, so the prestige gain is not as great.
3. In this particular game, Sardinia has already annexed all the minors. Italy is at present divided between Sardinia, Papal States, and 2 Sicilies.

Hmm...
For some reason I think Sweden needs a Mediterranean port. I'll have to look into this after the German campaign.