• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, I can only agree about day and night cycle. Even if it would take some longer time to develop, it is something necessary for that kind of games.

I'm also disappointed about the lack of a day/night cycle, but the fact that they're not including one means that they've probably built their entire simulation around this fact. Changing it now could conceivably cause major rewrites of the fundamentals of the game's implementation and the game's design in general.

I'm also disappointed about the lack of a day/night cycle, but the fact that they're not including one means that they've probably built their entire simulation around this fact. Changing it now could conceivably cause major rewrites of the fundamentals of the game's implementation and the game's design in general.

I wonder what the real reason is for not including day/night cycle...it's a big question mark in my head. :huh:
I just hope they don't make a wrong decision, many people would like to see a day/night cycle.

I wonder what the real reason is for not including day/night cycle...it's a big question mark in my head. :huh:
I just hope they don't make a wrong decision, many people would like to see a day/night cycle.

The answer is easy: Time and focus. CO is not a big studio with a lot of manpower. They need to focus their manhours. Day/night cycle is at best a visual neat feature, but since the time of day isn't important in a city builder, it effectively becomes a 'nice to have' feature. Therefore it is a lower priority than other more important features to get the basic game working.

But as having pointed out; this doesn't mean a day/night cycle isn't going to happen, but it probably won't be there on release (although, I imagine it will be a free patch feature later on).

Except we've been led to believe they have other future titles they are aiming to deliver, which means that like CitiesInMotion2, enhancements to Skylines may be minimal after release while they concentrate on the next new game. For the price of SimCity5, I expected the game to have everything. For the proposed $30 of Skylines, I am more prepared to accept a game that only involves certain aspects of the simulation.

For example, for that price I got Prison Architect. Graphics are 2D, something I wouldn't accept for $60 but for $30 just planning out a 2D prison has given me lots of fun.

Who has led you to believe that? In fact, the developers and Paradox publishing has indicated on several occasions that things will be different from CiM.

Well if I am wrong then I am probably getting confused with another game company. There are quite a lot of new games I am keeping an eye on and it's completely possible I read that elsewhere.

The answer is easy: Time and focus. CO is not a big studio with a lot of manpower. They need to focus their manhours. Day/night cycle is at best a visual neat feature, but since the time of day isn't important in a city builder, it effectively becomes a 'nice to have' feature. Therefore it is a lower priority than other more important features to get the basic game working.

But as having pointed out; this doesn't mean a day/night cycle isn't going to happen, but it probably won't be there on release (although, I imagine it will be a free patch feature later on).

I'm relatively sure I've read our developers say they left the day/night cycle out of the game as it would just "flash past" due to the high actual speed of a game like this. Simulated days would be very, very short.

Nevertheless a nice visual feature to have and maybe something to be added later :)

I'm relatively sure I've read our developers say they left the day/night cycle out of the game as it would just "flash past" due to the high actual speed of a game like this. Simulated days would be very, very short.

Nevertheless a nice visual feature to have and maybe something to be added later :)

Of course, since calendar days in these games usually take a couple of seconds, these cycles are usually abstractions. Take The Settlers for instance. It is completely unrealistic that they are capable of building buildings so fast, when you still have to sit around waiting for material. But in fairness, far less material than in real life is needed in these games. Because - again - they are abstractions of reality.

I doubt anyone here is thinking that with a day/night cycle, we'd have to wait several minutes if not hours for each day to pass.

I assumed the simulation would be the same sort of speed as CIM2? Plenty of time for night time in that. Just need to keep hours of actual darkness to under 6 hours like summer if people find the dark boring.

You could just look at how SimCity 4 worked - the day/night cycle and the traffic associated with different times would be shown, but it wouldn't correlate with the actual game time at all; the 3d cars actually shown would serve only as visuals to display traffic, and night would also serve only as a visual (a really cool looking visual :D ).

Of course this assumes that the individual cars in the game are just for display purpose and aren't actually direct representation of game agents or whatnot (like in the new SimCity, I believe).

I basically spend all of my time in these sort of games in day mode, after all you need to see to build stuff! I only very occasionally switch to night mode to admire the view for a minute. Therefore, I would agree that day/night cycles are a nice feature to have but not necessary to enjoy the game.

This is one of the reasons i'm not having high expectations for this game even tho it's my absolute favourite game genre, who knows what else will be left out because of "low manpower"? I smell repeated rows of buildings, very little micromanagement and countless bugs at release.

I really hope modding will be simple and without major restrictions , that's actually so far my only hope for this to become the city builder we've wanted since SimCity 4.

I am going to give the developers the benefit of doubt until the game is actually released. I do not believe that because they are more focused the game is going to get worse; in fact, I believe the opposite. A lot of games fall flat because they aren't focused enough and want everything on release.

I am going to give the developers the benefit of doubt until the game is actually released. I do not believe that because they are more focused the game is going to get worse; in fact, I believe the opposite. A lot of games fall flat because they aren't focused enough and want everything on release.

I guess I've just been dissapointed too many times when it comes to city builders, I'll just wait and see.

We believe our efforts are needed elsewhere than adding a day/night cycle that would be purely a visual feature in Cities: Skylines. The decision has been made and there will not be a day/night cycle at launch. We'll see what happen after the launch later :) I hope this is not the feature that defines if Cities: Skylines is a good game or not!