• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
1388071488446.jpg

Something·Possibly·Quite·Roman

***(No longer supported)***​
Has been succeeded by Empires & Republics

Ever wondered what the hell ERE meant, as if it was some kind of typo of the HRE? Perhaps you wanted to rule an empire by the name of the Eastern Roman Empire, but all you get is something called the Byzantine Empire? Or ponder if there was an Eastern Roman Empire (ERE) then why there isnt a Western Roman Empire (WRE) that is not the Holy Roman Empire? The answer to this and much more is that history and historical revisionism is a bitch and that is a fact!

This mod probably does nothing to address any of these questions and issues, but it does bring something more "Romanism" into an era that is supposed to be devoid of such thing and rather filled with those who like to pretend to be it. There has been a recent trend of a "better Roman stuff" mod that intends to bring back historical fidelity into the game when it comes to the topic of all things Roman, this on the other hand though does not shy away from real history, brings historically plausible fantasy into the world of Crusader Kings II. ERE? Check. HRE? Check. WRE? Check. Fantasy empires that really shouldn't exist in this time period? Of course! There are a bit more to this, so check them out below.

Requirements:
Crusader Kings II version 2.1.6
Legacy of Rome DLC
Sons of Abraham DLC

Installation:
Using whatever archiver you're into, locate where ever your save folders are located (***/paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II) and extract the contents into the /Mod folder. If you're having trouble, post on this thread or PM me with your Operating System and I'll give you a bit more detailed step. Also, if you have a previous version installed, don't forget to delete that first!

Current features:
- Introducing a forgotten Empire: the Western Roman Empire with its own honorary titles to hand out.
- New formable Empires and Kingdoms.
- New bookmarks.
- Renaming of several empires including the now Eastern Roman Empire.
- Special Casus Belli to challenge Imperial Authority.
- De-Latinisation of previously Latinised Empire.
- Restore the united Roman Empire via traditional conquest route or by uniting the two halves.
- Catholics can now mend the schism with the results being all of Christendom becoming united (same goes for Orthodox decision as well).
- Turks with the correct title can now claim or wage war to become the Qaisar of Rum.
- Once the player restores the borders of the Ancient Roman Empire at its peak, the player can decide to re-divide the empire back into West and East.
- If the player is sick of blobbing, then they can now opt to return the Dominate back to the Principate, the result being Rome will now become a Merchant Republic (requires being a Roman and "The Republic").
- Once making money becomes boring, they are free to either return to being an Empire or commit the ultimate taboo: declare yourself King (requires being Roman).
- If a player feels like a challenge, via decisions and events, they can revive the old Roman culture and/or return to the Hellenic Pagan religion (latter requires "Sons of Abraham" and "The Old Gods").
- As a homage (nothing more, nothing less), Roman Hellenic Pagan can form both the Western and the Eastern Roman Empires as well as restoring the united Roman Empire.
- As a Roman, the player can now adopt a person of their choosing (Augustus).
- New Roman cultural buildings and retinues.
- Just cause it pissed me off, there are no republic or theocracy vassal limit.
- Now announcing an integrated mod within a mod: Converter Kings Universalis! Part based on a pet project and part based on the CK2-EU4 Converter Improvement Project, this customizes the converter specifically for this mod as well as improving on it overall. (Currently in Beta stage)

Screenshots:

None

Credits
Arcvalon for the Special CBs from his Imperial Legacy Mod.
Cuthuthulu for the Converter from his CK2-EU4 Converter Improvement Project.
frankatank109 and fanoI for their bookmarks and flags from their The Commune of Rome Mod.
neondt for the Florence Nation for EU4 from his Repubblica Fiorentina Mod.
omega20056 for the localisation from his Project: Augustus - Roman Realism Mod.
yclept for the entire Republic system from his Founder of the Republic Mini-Mod.

Download: View attachment SPQRvFinal.zip

I hope you enjoy this and a feedback of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Cool mod you got here! I'd make the Western Roman Empire red, if I were in your shoes.

Lotta rome mods lately. I love it!

SPQR.jpg

Something·Possibly·Quite·Roman

Ever wondered what the hell ERE meant, as if it was some kind of typo of the HRE? Perhaps you wanted to rule an empire by the name of the Eastern Roman Empire, but all you get is something called the Byzantine Empire? Or ponder if there was an Eastern Roman Empire (ERE) then why there isnt a Western Roman Empire (WRE) that is not the Holy Roman Empire? The answer to this and much more is that history and historical revisionism is a bitch and that is a fact!

This mod probably does nothing to address any of these questions and issues, but it does bring something more "Romanism" into an era that is supposed to be devoid of such thing and rather filled with those who like to pretend to be it. There has been a recent trend of a "better Roman stuff" mod that intends to bring back historical fidelity into the game when it comes to the topic of all things Roman, this on the other hand though does not shy away from real history, brings historically plausible fantasy into the world of Crusader Kings II. ERE? Check. HRE? Check. WRE? Check. Fantasy empires that really shouldn't exist in this time period? Of course! There are a bit more to this, so check them out below.

Requirements:
Crusader Kings II 2.1.5.5
Legacy of Rome DLC (for most things)
Sons of Abraham DLC (for some things)

Installation:
Using whatever archiver into where ever your save folders are located (***/paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II) and extract the contents into the /Mod folder. If you're having trouble, post on this thread or PM me with your Operating System and I'll give you a bit more detailed step.

Current features:
- Byzantine Empire has been renamed to the "Eastern Roman Empire"
- Three pretenders in the West, e_france and e_hre are both called the "Holy Roman Empire" while e_italy is now called the "Western Roman Empire"
- For the above cases, the culture required to form is Frankish, German, and Italian respectively, and only one can exist at a time
- Two new titular empires; the Bulgarian Empire and the Serbian Empire (Coat of Arms currently not working properly)
- Only one of the above two, the Russian Empire, or the Eastern Roman Empire can exist and their creations are culture dependent too
- The Empire of Scandinavia has been renamed to the "Kalmar Union" based on the historical union of the three kingdoms, except now you can do it a few hundred years earlier
- All of the empires above now can no longer formed except as a decision
- De-Latinisation of previously Latinised Empire names except for Carpathia
- Both the Western and the Eastern Roman Empires can restore or unite to become THE Roman Empire
- Catholics can now mend the schism with the results being all of Christendom becoming united (same goes for Orthodox decision as well)
- Once the player restores the borders of the Ancient Roman Empire, the player can decide to re-divide the empire back into West and East
- Lots and lots of localisation
- If a player feels like a challenge, via decisions and events, they can revive the old Roman culture and/or return to the Hellenic Pagan religion (latter requires Sons of Abraham pretty much)
- As a homage (nothing more, nothing less), Roman Hellenic Pagan can form both the Western and the Eastern Roman Empires as well as restoring the united Roman Empire
- Ethiopian and Nubian cultures now have Petty Kings instead of independent Dukes
- The Empire of Abyssinia has been renamed to the Ethiopian Empire
- Just cause it pissed me off, there are no republic or theocracy vassal limit
- Also, Paulicians no longer have Patriarchs

Planned features:
- Implementation of special CB for big enough countries to depose the Emperors of their region so that they can claim it for themselves
- The ability to restore the Roman Empire (Dominate) back into the Roman Republic (Principate)
- Potentially an ability for the Turkish Rumites and maybe the Ottomans to usurp and proclaim themselves as "Qaisars"
- Perhaps more decisions and events

Screenshots:

2014-06-0600002.jpg

(The former Byzantine Empire: Eastern Roman Empire)

2014-06-0600003.jpg

(De jure borders of the Western Pretenders)

2014-06-0600004.jpg

(Frankish Holy Roman Empire)

2014-06-0600005.jpg

(European de jure Empire borders)

2014-06-0600006.jpg

(The lonely African States)

2014-06-0600007.jpg

(Revival of the Western Roman Empire)

Download: View attachment 109144

I hope you enjoy this and a feedback of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

May I suggest that rather than dividing into West and East, there also be an option for a tetrarchy?

Oh cool mod! Though one little nitpick "Only one of the above two, the Russian Empire, or the Eastern Roman Empire can exist and their creations are culture dependent too" if I'm reading this right only one of these 4 empires can exist at a time according to this, which is wrong historically since the ERE was alive around the same time as both the Bulgarian and the Serbian ones, would be a bit odd if you need to kill the ERE to form them when historically those two only needed to take a good chunk of Roman territory before they proclaimed themselves empires.

EmperorG - I believe he is saying that Russia cannot exist at the same time as the ERE.

This is most likely because Russia or rather Muscovy proclaimed themselves the Third Rome

What are the reqs for forming the Serbian and Bulgarian Empires?

Cool mod you got here! I'd make the Western Roman Empire red, if I were in your shoes.

Lotta rome mods lately. I love it!

I'm not really good with RGB so I left it as is. Also, I don't want things to get confusing between it and Britain.

so have hellenic pagans been modified outside of the form empires part?

What do you mean? I have modified Hellenic Pagans a bit, but to become it via events you need to be a Roman Emperor (East, West, or United) and a Demon Child or a Pagan.

May I suggest that rather than dividing into West and East, there also be an option for a tetrarchy?

As I would love to do that, my skill as a modder is rather limited and as such this is as far as I can go for the time being.

Oh cool mod! Though one little nitpick "Only one of the above two, the Russian Empire, or the Eastern Roman Empire can exist and their creations are culture dependent too" if I'm reading this right only one of these 4 empires can exist at a time according to this, which is wrong historically since the ERE was alive around the same time as both the Bulgarian and the Serbian ones, would be a bit odd if you need to kill the ERE to form them when historically those two only needed to take a good chunk of Roman territory before they proclaimed themselves empires.

You are right about Bulgaria and Serbia. I just left the limiter for gameplay reason and do intend to tweak it once I figure out how to make CBs.

EmperorG - I believe he is saying that Russia cannot exist at the same time as the ERE.

This is most likely because Russia or rather Muscovy proclaimed themselves the Third Rome

Yup, you're right on the mark. Though Muscovy's Third Rome came a lot later, should Constantinople fall a lot sooner, then Muscovy's rise should come sooner too.

What are the reqs for forming the Serbian and Bulgarian Empires?

Neither them nor the Eastern Roman Empire and the Russian Empire can exist, be Serbian and hold the Kingdom of Serbia or be Bulgarian and hold the Kingdom of Bulgaria, and also you need to have a large-ish realm, kinda like the requirement for forming the Holy Roman Empire.

I'd suggest adding some duchy requirements to those two, and not having the ERE exist is nonsensical, perhaps you could restrict it to having ERE realm size be less than, say 75.

I'd suggest adding some duchy requirements to those two, and not having the ERE exist is nonsensical, perhaps you could restrict it to having ERE realm size be less than, say 75.

I've made it nonsensical for now until I can figure out a better way of doing things (not just idea, but also the right code!).

Like I said, I'm an inexperienced modder, there is only so much I can do. :closedeyes:

I can help you if you want, though not this weekend since I have exams.

I can help you if you want, though not this weekend since I have exams.

Gladly have you on board. Working on mods by yourself is really hard.

Right, something most people forget about the Kalmar Union, it's capitol was in Kalmar. So you'll need to change the landed_titles.txt capitol location to reflect this. (Duchy of Småland, Province Möre (the one on the Coast))

Also while the games use of "Scandinavia" is anglicized and ahistorical, asking anyone from the northern countries, they'll agree that "Skandinavien" in Swedish/Danish and "Skandinavia" in Norwegian, is actually a better localized name, considering the current CoA in game for it, if your going to call it the KU, you should use the historical CoA available. The only other alternative there is would be "Norden"/"Nordiska Riket", a regional name that's the same in all three Kingdoms, and coincidentally is also the area that best reflects the borders of the e_scandinavia in game. In English the name would then be "The North/Nordic Kingdom" You might also want to have a chat with Sotof on steam and try to get his "union flag" if your using Norden.

That said, I love all the Roman mod ideas, and your looks really fun.

Last edited:
Right, something most people forget about the Kalmar Union, it's capitol was in Kalmar. So you'll need to change the landed_titles.txt capitol location to reflect this. (Duchy of Småland, Province Möre (the one on the Coast))

Also while the games use of "Scandinavia" is anglicized and ahistorical, asking anyone from the northern countries, they'll agree that "Skandinavien" in Swedish/Danish and "Skandinavia" in Norwegian, is actually a better localized name, considering the current CoA in game for it, if your going to call it the KU, you should use the historical CoA available. The only other alternative there is would be "Norden"/"Nordiska Riket", a regional name that's the same in all three Kingdoms, and coincidentally is also the area that best reflects the borders of the e_scandinavia in game. In English the name would then be "The North/Nordic Kingdom" You might also want to have a chat with Sotof on steam and try to get his "union flag" if your using Norden.

That said, I love all the Roman mod ideas, and your looks really fun.

Thanks for that, and I must say the thing about Kalmar was an oversight.

I love the split back into two feature, as you know i argued quite alot for that feature, in the other two mods. Diarchal rule is after all a very Roman thing, like slavicist asked, are you plotting any other division patterns like a Tetrachy, were you have two diarchies all under one Imperial Crown.

Easiest way to accomplish that is to set up De-Jure Diarchal Kingdoms that encompass say Croatia/Serbia/Bulgaria/Greece/Anatolia/Georgia/Syria/Jerusalem/Egypt in the East or Italy/France/Burgundy/Lotharingia/Brittany/Frisia/England/Wales in the west, and simply calling them Western/Eastern Diarchy. Basically the Empires but shunted to a Kingdom level. For a Tetrarchy then you'd have to have a Ducal title that encompasses certain areas of the new Kingdoms, see the image for the historical setup.

Presuming of course that you want to Keep the Empire United, otherwise it's just using the Imperial Titles to split it up.

Last edited:
I love the split back into two feature, as you know i argued quite alot for that feature, in the other two mods. Diarchal rule is after all a very Roman thing, like slavicist asked, are you plotting any other division patterns like a Tetrachy, were you have two diarchies all under one Imperial Crown.

Easiest way to accomplish that is to set up De-Jure Diarchal Kingdoms that encompass say Croatia/Serbia/Bulgaria/Greece/Anatolia/Georgia/Syria/Jerusalem/Egypt in the East or Italy/France/Burgundy/Lotharingia/Brittany/Frisia/England/Wales in the west, and simply calling them Western/Eastern Diarchy. Basically the Empires but shunted to a Kingdom level. For a Tetrarchy then you'd have to have a Ducal title that encompasses certain areas of the new Kingdoms, see the image for the historical setup.

As much as I'd love to implement a working Diarchy and Tetrarchy, it is both the limit of my ability as a modder and possibly the game engine. Shifting de jure borders around can screw over how other realms are played and you can't prevent the AI from forming more than one titles. As such, the current system is the dissolution of a united empire and dividing into two parts where should you award one title to a vassal, the empire is united in name only (ie your imagination). The most I am able to do for the division, is change up the de jure make-up so that you don't have to go through using the "Transfer Vassal" to have one part of the empire as a single bloc before awarding the co-Emperor title.

As much as I'd love to implement a working Diarchy and Tetrarchy, it is both the limit of my ability as a modder and possibly the game engine. Shifting de jure borders around can screw over how other realms are played and you can't prevent the AI from forming more than one titles. As such, the current system is the dissolution of a united empire and dividing into two parts where should you award one title to a vassal, the empire is united in name only (ie your imagination). The most I am able to do for the division, is change up the de jure make-up so that you don't have to go through using the "Transfer Vassal" to have one part of the empire as a single bloc before awarding the co-Emperor title.

Actually, you can disallow the AI from creating specific titles. And using that feature you could probably create a working Diarchy or even Tetrarchy.

Edit: That said, you don't actually have to change any Borders, just split up the De-Jure, into as i called it Diarchal Kingdoms.

Last edited:
This is the mod I've been looking for, thank you. Also I would like to see the Western Roman Empire as light red and the Restored Roman Empire as Dark Red, but that is a small gripe.

This is the mod I've been looking for, thank you. Also I would like to see the Western Roman Empire as light red and the Restored Roman Empire as Dark Red, but that is a small gripe.

WRE = Crimson
ERE = Tyrian Purple/Scarlet if the RE is Restored.
Roman Empire = Tyrian Purple

historically this is most accurate to roman custom. apart from the second ERE colour ofc.

WRE = Crimson
ERE = Tyrian Purple/Scarlet if the RE is Restored.
Roman Empire = Tyrian Purple

historically this is most accurate to roman custom. apart from the second ERE colour ofc.

I'll get around to it once I figure out how to work this whole RGB thing.