• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yclept

First Lieutenant
67 Badges
Jul 25, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
[Mini-Mod] Founder of the Republic

What is it?

Founder of the Republic is a (mini) mod that implements a single decision allowing you, as a feudal (but not tribal!) Duke, to found a Merchant Republic and continuing playing as its first Prince-Mayor whilst taking a prestige hit. To take the decision, your character has to meet the following requirements:

• (Version 1.2.0: Both Downloads) Their primary title must be higher than Count tier.
  • (Version 1.2.0: Standard Download) Their primary title must be of Duke tier (i.e. Petty King, Tribe of X, Doux, etc.).
  • (Version 1.3.5: Both Downloads)They must not be Tribal (as Tribes have a mechanism in vanilla for becoming Republics).
  • They must be independent.
  • Their capital must be in a coastal province.
  • They must personally hold a City in that province (a vassal holding it doesn't count).
  • No existing Merchant Republic can have trade posts in their demesne. (Was realm prior to Version 1.2.0)
  • They must have at least 500 gold.
  • (Added 1.4.0) If you are using the 'Way of Life' DLC you must either have Business Focus, or instead be of Vaishya caste.
  • (Added 1.0.2) Must be at peace and must not be under a Regency.
  • (Prior to 1.4.1) Must be male (CK2 Before 2.4.1 had a bugged Republic screen with a female ruler who had a male heir)

The following additional effects occur on taking the decision, or shortly after you become Prince Mayor:

• Loss of 250 prestige
  • (Added 1.3.0) If you are of Brahmin or Kshatriya caste, you will be reduced to Vaishya caste (only effects characters who have caste)
  • (Added 1.1.0) +20 opinion with Patrician vassals for 10 years
  • (Added 1.1.0) +20 opinion with Midas Touched, Fortune Builder, and (from 1.4.0) Vaishya caste vassals for 10 years (not cumulative with Patrician effect)
  • (Added 1.1.0) +20 opinion with Midas Touched, Fortune Builder, and (from 1.4.0) Vaishya caste courtiers for 10 years (not cumulative with Patrician effect)
  • (Added 1.1.0) Permanent -15 opinion with feudal adult members of your character's dynasty who are not Midas Touched, Fortune Builder, or (from 1.4.0) Vaishya caste
Only players get the decision, NPCs need not apply.

Once upon a time you we'ren't supposed to be able to do that

No, you weren't supposed to be able to do that even with a mod, you're supposed to get 'game over' as soon as you turn non-feudal, and there was no official way to get around this. I therefore used to use a big fat kludge to sneak the change in without the game quite noticing it should have given you a game over.

See 'how it used to work' if you want details.

However Charlemagne introduced the modding command 'create_family_palace = yes' as part of the method used to support tribes becoming republic and 1.4.0 of the mod now uses that instead, and since 1.4.1 also uses set_government_type.

What about Kings and Emperors?

Personally, Kings and higher taking this decision goes rather too far over my suspension of disbelief line, but since people have requested it, I have (Version 1.2.0) added a separate 'AnyRank' download that should work for all titles above the rank of Count. The 'Standard' download continues to be restricted to Dukes. Expect the AnyRank version to be even more unbalanced than the Standard version, and somewhat less polished.

I don't know which version takes precedence if you attempt to use them both together, so don't do that :)

What about 'A Game of Thrones'?

(Updated 1.3.3) There is a very out of date download for the version compatible with older versions of the 'Game of Thrones' mod. If you're starting or loading a vanilla game game, pick 'Founders of the Republic - Any Rank' or 'Founders of the Republic - Standard' from the mod list; Alternatively pick 'Founders of the Republic - Game of Thrones' if you're starting or loading an AGoT game. Note that if you pick the wrong combination the mod won't actually be loaded and the decision won't appear.

Requirements

Crusader Kings II version 2.0.2, 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 (Sons of Abraham), 2.1.1 - 2.1.6 (Rajas of India), 2.2.0 (Charlemagne) , 2.3.x (Way of Life) , 2.4.1 (Horse Lords)
The Republic DLC

Download

Earlier Versions

Changelog

Version 1.4.2
  • Fix crash on start when used with CK 2.4.2

Version 1.3.4 (AGoT Only)
  • The default Republican Law should now be set when founding a republic in the A Game of Thrones version.
  • Various texts should use more AGoT-y terminology.
  • Confirmed appears to be working with AGoT-0.7.2

• Updated for compatibility with 2.4.1 (Horse Lords patch).
  • (Experimental) Allow female rulers to Found Republics, as the most obvious UI bug with this appears to be fixed. Note that Republics are locked into Agnatic-Seniority succession, so make sure you female character has male relatives of her dynasty, or you'll have no-one to inherit!

Version 1.4.0
  • Rewritten to use the same underlying method to make merchant republics as introduced with the Charlemagne patch for the tribal decisions, rather the original unsupported 'sneak around behind the game's back and so it doesn't notice and game over' method.
  • Since no temporary title is now used to make the Republic, the bug where the temporary title would very occasionally stick around should be gone.
  • Since no temporary title is now used to make the Republic, the requirement that your character must hold only one title at their highest title rank has been removed.
  • If you are you using the 'Way of Life' DLC you now need to have either chosen Business Focus or be of Vaishya caste before you can take the decision.
  • The opinion penalty after creating the Republic with dynasty members is skipped if they are of Vaishya caste.
  • A opinion bonus with Vaishya caste vassals courtiers for 10 years after creating the Republic, has been added.
  • A note about the founding of the Republic is now entered into the Chronicle.
  • The text of the Narrative event has been tweaked slightly.

Version 1.3.5
  • Updated for 2.2 (Charlemagne patch).
  • Characters holding a tribal primary title no longer get the decision, as vanilla now gives them a decision to becomie a Republic at a high enough level of tribal organisation.

Version 1.3.3
  • Synchronised with Steam Workshop versions
  • 'AnyTier' now 'AnyRank'
  • AGOT compatible version split out into a separate download

Version 1.3.2
  • There is no 1.3.2

Version 1.3.1
  • Tribal titles (below emperor) should again convert without giving a game over.

Version 1.3.0
  • Now officially works with 2.1.x/Rajas of India
  • If you have Brahmin or Kshatriya caste, you will be reduced to Vaishya (traders and artisans) caste. No effect if you don't have caste.
  • The newly made Patricians will also be set to vaisya caste if they were previously Brahmin or Kshatriya. Again no effect if they don't have caste.

Version 1.2.1
  • Added shim to allow the AnyTier version to be loaded with The Game of Thrones mod.

Version 1.2.0
  • The no war, no regency, and not imprisoned conditions should now be working again.
  • Fixed opinion boost for qualifying courtiers not picking up localization,
  • Tweaked text of the Narrative dialog announcing the new republic.
  • Trade post condition relaxed to be no trade posts in demesne rather than realm.
  • Now comes in 'Standard' (Dukes only) and 'AnyTier' (Dukes, Kings, Emperors) downloads.

Version 1.1.0
  • Confirmed that events weren't actually being eaten. Phew!
  • Now uses a Duke temporary title instead of a King one, so looks much smoother.
  • Culture set on temporary title to appease the validator (problem report by Nivve)
  • Decision is now High Priority. This means that that 'New Important Decisions' button willl appear when you meet the requirements.
  • A Narrative dialog will announce the Founding of your Republic immediately before your new Patricians show up.
  • Added positive opinion effect (+20, 10 years) with your new Patricians and Midas Touched and Fortune Builder vassals and courtiers.
  • Added negative opinion effect (-15, permanent) for adult feudal dynasty members.

Version 1.0.4
  • Officially compatible with CK2 2.0.4 (was anyway, but now official)

Version 1.0.3
  • Decision now requires being male. This due to the CK2 not properly supporting female Patricians, who get a bugged family palace when they have a valid heir under Patrician Elective succession.

Version 1.0.2
  • Decision now requires being a peace
  • Decision now requires not being under Regency

Version 1.0.1
  • Corrected decision tooltip to correctly pick up text for requiring a single ducal title

Last edited:
How it used to Work

I abused the landless adventurer system, by creating a landless temporary Duke title and giving it to your character. Then I made your capital the Coastal City that you hold rather than the Feudal Barony. The Republic was then automatically created a day later. Apparently because you had an equal rank title to that of Prince Mayor, the tricked the code into not giving you a game over, but because that title was landless, you'd still lose your feudal status. Then in a follow-up event that I set the temporary landless Duke title to be your primary title, which caused it to disappear. Yes it's odd that this is necessary.

Since I was relying on an internal quirk in the implementation how both the landless adventurers and the Merchant Republic creation system interacted, I was forever surprised that no patch broke mod.

Really, the miracle was not that it worked well, it's that it worked at all.

Nowdays (since 1.4.0) I use the officially supported non-sneaky method introduced with Charlemagne, and if you're modding something like this you probably should to, unless you have a very good reason.

Does it work with other mods?

I don't use any of the big mods myself, so it's only very lightly tested (if at all) with them. I think I've isolated things such that it should, but I don't know for sure.

(1.0.2) I've now tried it myself with CK2+ making the Republic of Gotland at the Old Gods start, and it seems to working for me as I would expect.
(1.2.1) For 'A Game of Thrones' you'll need the Any Tier download and you'll need to make sure you tick 'Founders of the Republic - Any Tier - AGoT' in the mod list when loading with the main Game of Thrones mod, rather than than non-AGoT entry immediately above it in the list. As AGoT is a total conversion, I needed to add an additional line in the .mod file to persuade CK2 to allow it to be loaded with AGoT. It's likely that any other total conversion mods will need something similar. It still needs testing that the decision actually works correctly.

Known Problems
  • Only English
  • The caste changes, break the concept of caste (However, not changing caste also breaks the concept of caste).
  • The Narrative text, doesn't use 'The' when referring to the original title. This makes sense in some cases ('Gotland') but not for others ('The Rustamid Sultanate').
  • Some of your new Patricians tend to end up with no courtiers.
  • You can get a game over if you have Merchant Republic vassals when taking the decision. I don't have a reproducible case of this outside of AGoT (Ageon conquers New Valayria rather than Westeros) so I'm not sure of the precise criteria for triggering it. It is not just having a single Merchant Republic vassal as that works okay when tested with the Byzantines.
  • (1.4.1) There appears to be a small bug with CK2 2.4.1 that means your character may display their Republican title as if it were a Feudal one. For instance they will referred to as 'King' rather than 'Prince Mayor' . This is only cosmetic, and will fix itself once you reload your save.

Kudos and Credits

neondt for the inspiration provided by his 1136 Novgorod Republic Mini Mod.
Caesar01, Darkgamma and AnaxXiphos for the thread on how to add icons to decisions
Alech for trying it with CK2+ and bug reports.

Last edited:
Interesting. I just wonder how did you accidentally make temporary duke title stick around. It seems to me that temporary duke title will disappear just like temporary king title. Could you upload the version using temporary duke title?

Interesting. I just wonder how did you accidentally make temporary duke title stick around. It seems to me that temporary duke title will disappear just like temporary king title. Could you upload the version using temporary duke title?

Well I would have thought so too but it's just a one word change from KING to DUKE in the title creation command...

...Here you go FounderOfTheRepublic_Duke_1.0_ck2_2.0.2.zip :)

I guess we'll see how it gets on with CK2+ then :)

Worked just fine in the first test-run :) There is some strangeness with succession, but I'm not sure that's the mod. I think that might have more to do with the way Republics handle the other titles in the demesne.

There is a small bug in the family House...
wrong holding.JPG

I think the succession for the dynasty is wrong. It is still listed as Gavelkind.

Edit: No. It's something to do with the de Jure capital of the duchy...

Edit2: Hmmm, well it seems it only stops my from building improvements in the House Estate until I've had a succession. After that everything seems to work just fine. Strange.

Last edited:
There is a small bug in the family House...

Hmmm, that is odd. I thought it might be something to do with having an heir that would be the same as under Gavelkind as under seniority, but I just tried with CK2+ making Gotland with a ruler designed chap with one son, and it all works as I would expect.

Is there any dukedom in particular I should try?

I tried with Brittany. Here is the save:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a85xjr3dg422ezy/WGl-DMWIXT
You need to load it with the latest CK2+ mod (core rules, flavorful titles, better armies and cultural titles enabled).

Just to check, I should be playing as Queen Freyja the Tyrant, who has one daughter, and has gone the full North Korea in Brittany?

Immediately taking the decision as her, it looks okay so far, I get the family palace to come up, and I can start building a mansion.

EDIT: Okay got it to happen. Needs her to have a male heir.

EDIT: Unfortunately this looks like it's down to simply being a female Prince Mayor with a valid Patrician Elective (and therefore male) heir. Most likely I'm going to have to prevent you from taking the decision if you're a woman.

Last edited:
Just to check, I should be playing as Queen Freyja the Tyrant, who has one daughter, and has gone the full North Korea in Brittany?

Immediately taking the decision as her, it looks okay so far, I get the family palace to come up, and I can start building a mansion.

EDIT: Okay got it to happen. Needs her to have a male heir.

EDIT: Unfortunately this looks like it's down to simply being a female Prince Mayor with a valid Patrician Elective (and therefore male) heir. Most likely I'm going to have to prevent you from taking the decision if you're a woman.

I thought it might be the fact that the ruler was female. Thanks for looking into it :)

Updated to 1.0.3. You now have to be male to take the decision. Not particularly happy about that, but female Patricians appear to be buggy and broken in CK2 at the moment. I guess not surprising given it wouldn't ever happen in vanilla.

For female rulers, maybe add a check if they have a male heir, then have the decision also make them abdicate to this heir?

Wonder if female patricians could be made to work if you changed the inheritance laws to allow agnatic-cognatic for Patricians, currently they're locked to agnatic. I guess that still won't allow for female doges though.