• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JohnathanCrow

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
Manual Download | Steam Workshop
Current version: 1.04
Compatible with: All patches

Description
Some of the vanilla sounds are too long, distracting, or unpleasant, so this is a small mod to remedy that.

Features
  • Shortened or otherwise altered some long event and action sounds
  • Replaced some unpleasant sounds like on character death, or clashing sounds
  • Included Jordarkelf's 'No Naval Sounds During Combat' mod
See the changelog below for all changes.

Compatibility
Should be compatible with other mods that don't change sounds, and should also work with all versions of CK2.

Integration
I would prefer to keep this mod completely independent, but let me know if you feel strongly about integrating it.

Installation

• Extract the folder and .mod file to 'Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod'
  • Select it in the launcher and play
  • Alternatively, use the Steam Workshop link at the top to subscribe via Steam

Changelog
Code:
[b]1.04[/b]
* Navy selection equalised to reduce low frequencies and faded earlier
* Navy movement equalised to reduce low frequencies and faded earlier

[B]1.03[/B]
* Child birth replaced with less unpleasant crying
* Council and religion tab view music removed
* Optional silent child birth file removed from mod files

[B]1.02[/B]
* Child birth replaced with 1.00 version
* Optional silent child birth file added to 'subtle_sounds/sound/alt'

[B]1.01[/B]
* Child birth replaced by simple piano melody
* Unused siege sounds removed from mod files

[B]1.00[/B]
* Character, letter and narrative events edited to be simpler
* Message, income and outgoing money notifications slightly edited
* War declaration and army selection shortened
* Character death replaced with less unpleasant crow call
* Child birth volume reduced, compressed and shortened
* 'No Naval Sounds During Combat' by Jordarkelf included

Last edited:
Is there any chance you make a version of it without the sound of newborn baby screaming?

@maitrecarrote: I did cut down the length of the vanilla newborn sound, and slightly reduced the volume. I don't like the sound either, so if you have an idea about what kind of sound would be better then I'll change it.

@Finarfin: That won't work; it will just give him an even longer and slightly louder version of the newborn crying. Instead, you'd have to replace the newborn sound with an empty .wav file, so that it still overrides the vanilla sound but contains nothing.

I've used the piano tone character selection sounds to make a new, less obnoxious birth sound. It's fairly vague, so if you have an idea for something more appropriate, let me know.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the current baby cry at the time of birth. It's not like children are being born every minute. I can't think of anything that would be more appropriate for this event.

Whilst I don't like it, my main problem was that it went on for too long (there was the first initial cry, and then an extra little gurgle/sob that I cut off). As I said, the alternative (more vanilla, but not quite) sound is still in the download and can be renamed to replace the new version.

Played for a while with the new childbirth sound and I don't like it. I'm going to switch this back soon to my original cut down vanilla sound, or maybe create an empty .wav for it instead. Which would be better?

Played for a while with the new childbirth sound and I don't like it. I'm going to switch this back soon to my original cut down vanilla sound, or maybe create an empty .wav for it instead. Which would be better?

To be honest, I'm not sure which sound is which, though I am running your original upload of Subtle Sounds and I really like the raven and the newborn babe, so whichever baby file that is is the one I personally like.

I changed the sound earlier from the crying to a short piano melody, but it doesn't really work, so you might as well just keep the current version as I'm going to change it back to that anyway. What I'm asking is - is the newborn cry that you already have better than no sound at all?

Edit: for the moment I've changed this back to the original version. If anyone wants the birth to be silent, move 'childiborn.wav' from Subtle_Sounds/sounds/alt' into 'Subtle_Sounds/sounds' and overwrite.

Last edited:
I am replacing some of the sound effects as well and have a technical question you might be able to help me with.
For some reason the wav file I created doesn't play at all, I just get silence, but when replacing it with another random wav from my sound library as a test it worked. This made me wonder if there are specific requirements for the wav files and what could be causing them not to play. Maybe some kind of metadata created by the program I used to create the custom wav messes things up ?
Is there a way to get debug info from the audio engine ?

The files need to be 16-bit wav. The DAW I use defaults to 24-bit when exporting, so check your options before doing so, or convert them.

However I already exported in 16-bit... Will investigate some more, probably missing something obvious here.

Do you have any idea if it's possible to get some debug output though ? Just in case I run into more issues when happily modding.

EDIT:
Because of your suggestion I checked again and found out that Cubase has been a cheeky bastard and exported in 32bit while I thought I set it to 16bit. Guess I wasn't awake properly last night... No wonder it didn't work. Thanks again for helping out.

Last edited:
I'm as good as finished with my sound mod but I noticed that there are certain sounds that never play, also not the original versions that exist in the sound dir. For example 'battle_lost' and 'battle_won' never seem to be heard, also not when adding 'volume = 100' to the sound.sfx file.
It seems Paradox disabled these effects some place else, any ideas ? Did you ever got those sounds to play in the game ?