• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arumba

Colonel
74 Badges
Mar 10, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Ancient Space
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis III
  • March of the Eagles
Download:ClearCombat

This is a mod designed to make the combat tactic system very simple:
Good commanders are better than bad commanders.
Icons are VERY clear at a glance to indicate how a flank is doing without requiring a hover-tooltip.
JJ0WmE7.jpg

Generalized modifiers for terrain so you don't have to memorize 14 different numbers affecting 7 different unit's offense and defensive penalty/gain.

Changelist:
The following terrain advantages have been altered:
hills bonus + 10% to all
mountains bonus + 20% to all
river crossing -10% to all
major river cross -20% to all
straight crossing -30% to all
amphibious landing -30% to all

The AI will now always provide leaders to AI raised vassal levies (This prevents the AI from constantly sending in troops with no commander)
The player raised vassal levies still require manual assignment of commanders, like in vanilla. Don't forget!

There are now only 6 possible 'tactics' that can be used in combat:
no commander tactic: -50% offense and defense scores to all units (this is used only when there is no commander in charge of a flank, such as when the commander is killed in combat)
bad tactics: -30% offense and defense scores to all units (the worst possible commander is still always better than no commander)
poor tactics: -15% offense and defense scores to all units
average tactics: no modifiers to offense and defense scores
good tactics: +15% offense and defense scores to all units
excellent tactics: +30% offense and defense scores to all units (a very good commander will make his troops roughly 2x (1.3/.7) as strong as a poor commander. 5,000 can beat 10,000 if the martial scores favor the underdog)

The likelihood of using a tactic is based on the commander's martial score, with every point from 1-30 affecting the outcome.
Here is a colored table to illustrate the change in likelihood based on scores:
VFOZuKx.jpg

If you are using Project Balance Mod, you should use this download link instead for a PB compatible ClearCombat Mod: View attachment ClearCombat for PB.7z

Last edited:
an interesting approach :p

This is an interesting approach indeed - instead of keeping with the existing more complicated system, or making it even more complicated, I'm surprised there hasn't been any mod (at least since I first got into CKII mods) that just simplifies the system. I wonder how this affects wars on the grander scale.

Having looked over your code, I see one glaring flaw: every single tactic is marked "flank_has_leader = yes" with the exception of no_tactic, which is marked "always = no # never use unless set explicitly by code". That does not sound to me like it's going to fire if no other tactic is available to fire, it sounds like it's never ever going to fire -- which means that flanks with no leader have zero tactics, not even "no tactic", and can't engage in combat. Have you tested leaderless flanks to see what they do in combat?

I strongly advise you to leave no_tactic alone and not tamper with it, and use the modifiers you've given it in a separate tactic called "No General on the Field" or something that triggers when "flank_has_leader = no".

Oh, and the tactics for the different phases are all named the same. You have three "bad_tactics = {}", and so forth. Can you even do that? I was under the impression that each tactic defined a distinct entity or object and they weren't permitted to use the same name. Have you actually tested this in-game to make sure it functions like it's supposed to? I'd think you'd need to have at least "bad_tactic_s", "bad_tactic_m", "bad_tactic_p".

Also I didn't think the pursue phase used tactics like the other two phases. It seems to me that whenever a flank enters the pursue phase, its tactical icon remains unchanged from whatever it was last phase. I was under the impression "pursue_tactic" in vanilla was just a placeholder. I'd be very interested to learn whether you've seen distinct pursuit tactics being activated.

It does work, and yes it was tested.
Also, I only changed the sprite of the no tactic 'tactic', and added the damage/defense modifiers. It was always set to 'always = no', even in vanilla.

What it does it says that they cannot use that tactic, EVER, unless there are no other tactics available. This is made to happen by setting every other tactic as 'flank_has_leader = yes'.

The tactics are separate from each other because of each section referring to it's combat phase:
Code:
bad_tactics = {
	days = 5 
	sprite = 1
	group = skirmish
That group = skirmish forces it to not be involved with the other named tactics
And you can reuse names, it will just share the same localisation. (which is fine in this case)

In pursuit phase they do not use any tactics, but I filled it all in just in case.

If you are concerned about whether it works just launch it, it works fine.

It was always set to 'always = no', even in vanilla.
I know, that's why I was recommending you create a new and separate tactic that doesn't have that flag set. I was under the impression it needed to be there for coding reasons. If it works fine the way you have it, disregard, I guess.

And you can reuse names, it will just share the same localisation.
But that doesn't work everywhere, surely? I can imagine it causing huge problems in landed_titles.txt, for example. I'm very surprised it works here. Oh well.

I know, that's why I was recommending you create a new and separate tactic that doesn't have that flag set. I was under the impression it needed to be there for coding reasons. If it works fine the way you have it, disregard, I guess.

But that doesn't work everywhere, surely? I can imagine it causing huge problems in landed_titles.txt, for example. I'm very surprised it works here. Oh well.

Beats me, it hadn't even occurred to me that it might not work. Yet it does! So I guess that is a good thing then :)

Mod Updated:
No commander penalty increased from -40% to -50% (Now will generally only apply if the commander is killed in combat, or the player foolishly forgets to appoint army leaders) This represents the confusion a flank would experience after losing its leader in action.

The AI will now always provide leaders to AI raised vassal levies (This prevents the AI from constantly sending in troops with no commander)
The player raised vassal levies still require manual assignment of commanders, like in vanilla. Don't forget!

It doesn't work everywhere, landed_titles specifically doesn't like it, but it works in some places; triggered_modifiers for example will function perfectly fine with duplicate names if the triggers are different (at least it appears to me that they do).

TPATT has their own combat system, and I believe PB does as well, so I don't think it would be.
PB doesn't change combat tactics, so this mod should be 100% compatible.
If Arumba wants, I'll add it to the list of compatible mods.

This is intriguing, though I wonder if it results in battles/wars taking significantly longer than they do in vanilla. I'll try running it next game, I believe.