• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 25: Greek fire, Part 1 – Constantinople

Constantinople, 1161
Wilhelmina sipped some wine as she sat in a room in the imperial palace. “Constantinople’s such a nice place,” she said as she continued eating her dinner.

“You bet,” said her husband, Ali.

“Hey, could you get us some more of this fine wine?” Wilhelmina said.

“Yes, Your Imperial Majesty,” said a servant.

The servant turned to leave the room.

“Honey, what kind of wine is this?” Ali asked. “I don’t recognize it.”

“Don’t worry, it’s just some fine Burgundian wine,” said Wilhelmina, “Don’t tell the French about that.”

They both laughed, as there were no Frenchmen to talk to.

Crown Prince Wilhelm, Count of Constantinople and Baron von Berlin, and Prince Friedrich, Duke of Saxony, both young men now, were sitting on their side of the dinner table, drinking some Bavarian beer and arguing about who was the better ruler.

“Kids these days,” Ali muttered, “I bet that centuries from now, everybody will be drinking beer instead of wine!”

“I would think otherwise,” said Wilhelmina.

“Hey, they’re already doing it in Afrika!”

“Well, we never introduced wine to them initially, so…”

At that moment their discussion was interrupted by the sound of a distant explosion. A few seconds passed before the shockwave hit the palace, shattering windows and making the chandelier sway.

“What the…what was that?” said Wilhelm.

“My wine!” shouted Ali.

Wilhelmina looked at her wine glass, where dust had settled in her drink.

“Mother, are you okay?” said Friedrich.

“Yes, I’m fine,” said Wilhelmina.

She walked to the nearest balcony, where she got a view of the whole city. She looked for whatever was the source of the explosion. Then she saw it.

In the harbors of Constantinople, a warehouse and the surrounding piers burned, a thick plume of smoke rising from the ashes. This would have been completely ordinary if not for the fact that the nearby water in the Golden Horn was also on fire, with several ships starting to burn and their crews jumping overboard. A few minutes later, the harbor was rocked with several more rapidly occurring smaller explosions.

“Oh no, not the Greek fire,” Wilhelmina muttered.

“Oh yes,” said Kirill, suddenly appearing next to her.

“Oh, you again,” said Wilhelmina.

“I’m always here,” said Kirill.

“What do you want now?”

“Do you always have to ask that?”

“Of course. You’re my brother.”

“Sister, as your brother I don’t have to tell you everything. That’s how siblings work.”

“No it’s not!”

“Oh yes it is.”

“Mother?” said Wilhelm, approaching the balcony. “Who are you talking to?”

Kirill pointed subtly at Wilhelm. “You might want to talk with your son,” he whispered.

“Uh, nobody, just myself,” said Wilhelmina, “Go with your father and brother and investigate the explosion.”

“Yes, mother,” said Wilhelm, leaving the room.

“Sending your husband and sons to do the dirty work for you? Shame,” said Kirill.

“I am the Kaiserin!” shouted Wilhelmina. “I do what I want!”

“And I held you in such high regard, up to the second you stabbed me,” Kirill muttered.

“Why are you so annoying sometimes?!” Wilhelmina almost screamed.

She found herself talking to air.
2015-10-15_00045.jpg

The next day, Wilhelmina arrived at the warehouse, where the fires had all been completely extinguished overnight. Following her were her Varangians, the Norsemen who had given their services to the emperors and Kaisers of Rome.

“Mother!” Wilhelm said, Friedrich and Ali not far behind. “It’s worse than we expected.”

“What do you mean?” said Wilhelmina.

“The warehouse hit was our stockpile of Greek fire,” Friedrich explained.

“All of the scientists who know how to produce the Greek fire are missing, along with our entire stockpile of the liquid and the formula itself,” said Ali.

Wilhelmina was shocked. The loss of Greek fire was a huge blow for the Reich. The liquid had saved Constantinople from the Arabs twice centuries ago. It was an important part of the imperial navy, and its loss…well, the Reich navies would have a hard time fighting pirates now. And if the Persians or Norse or Russians or Khazars got their hands on it…

“Your loss,” said Kirill.

“AARGH!” Wilhelmina flipped over a nearby table, which flew through Kirill’s image.

“Why so angry, sister?” said Kirill, somewhat annoyed.

“Kirill! You’re responsible for this, aren’t you?!” Wilhelmina screamed.

“Mother? Are you okay?” Wilhelm asked. “Who’s Kirill? Kirill’s dead, isn’t he?”

“Yeah, I’m dead right?” said Kirill. “How can I cause all of this when I’m dead?!”

“I’ll get to the bottom of this and get back the Greek fire!” Wilhelmina shouted. “I will! Nobody steals my Greek fire and lives to brag about it!”

Kirill grinned. “That’s the spirit. Oh look, a pun! Or is it?”

And he vanished again.
2015-10-15_00046.jpg

Last edited:
The loss of Greek Fire... a bad day for the Reich, while a blessing for your enemies.

Chapter 26: The Wrath of Timur (Khan)
“I am the Lord of Asia. I am the Khagan of the Mongols and Khazars and the Padishah of the Turks and Tartars. I am the heir of the Khan of Khans himself. I am the Sword of the Sun, the champion of the Giver of Justice. I am the Iron Khan, here to avenge the defeat of my namesake with blood and iron. I am the rightful ruler of the civilized world, and you, Khagan of Rome, will submit to my power, whether you want to or not, just as the heathen Khagans of Persia and the Turks have.”
-Timur “the Conqueror”

“Blessed are we Romans, for we live in the age of the Augustoi! To battle!”
-Kaiser Martin I “the Noble”

Friedrich Augustin II was killed early on in the cavalry charge, slain by Timur himself, and an absolutely ferocious battle was waged over his body, one that only ended with the death of every single Reich soldier. Timur, the Lord of Asia, took no captives. “Kill all, burn all, loot all,” his eldest son and heir Shah Rukh later said of the Iron Khan’s approach to warfare. The body of the Kaiser, now uncontested by the Roman armies, was taken to Samarkand, where its head was paraded through the streets on a pole before being used as a decoration for the front door of Timur’s palace. As for the body…well, that was as far as the Reich spies got before they were found and executed.

And so ended the great battle, or disaster, of Tabriz, which became to be known as “Double Eleven” as the charge occurred on November 11, 1378. In terms of the percentage of troops lost, it ranked up there the Hebrides, Ergyng, Gloucester, and Worcester of the previous century (at or near one hundred percent casualties). Over ten thousand Ottomans, Fatimids, and Romans, about two thousand Timurids, the numbers of the slain were among the highest of any battle of the fourteenth century, at least on the Roman side.

2015-11-12_00055.jpg

A second legion under the command of Gunzelin and the kings of Scotland and Bavaria, numbering forty thousand, attempted to fight the Timurid force at Kirkuk. Twenty-two thousand Timurid soldiers were killed. There were no Reich survivors.
2015-11-12_00061.jpg

Savur fell back to Baghdad. In the cities of first Mesopotamia and then the rest of the Reich, the news of Friedrich Augustin II’s death spread rapidly, and the priests and patriarchs began calling the faithful to war. It did not matter that Timur was an almost unstoppable warlord like Ocuil Acatl was before him. The war against the second Lord of Asia was no longer, in their eyes, just a simple war as the barbarian invasions of Ocuil Acatl and Temur Khan were a century ago. It became a crusade, a holy war, despite the fact that Imperial Orthodoxy had no military doctrine. Under the call of the patriarchs, all of the people of the Middle East, Turk and German and Ashkenazi alike, answered.

Despite the fact that the eastern tagmata had been all but annihilated, allowing Timur to run freely through the Ottoman, Fatimid, and Komnenoi domains, all was not lost. A few weeks after Tabriz, all four legions from Britannia, accompanied by the legions of Gallia, Italia-Afrika, Hibernia, and Caledonia, arrived in Provincia Syria-Palestrina on the Imperial Fleet.
2015-11-12_00062.jpg

They were immediately marched over land to the battlefields in Mesopotamia. Leading the famed fifty-thousand strong Twentieth Legion, the legendary scourge of barbarians and the ultimate decider of battles, was Kaiser Martin I von Hohenzollern himself, seeking vengeance for the untimely death of his father, the sword of Friedrich I at his side.

As the legions began their march across the deserts and plains of Iraq and Syria, the Timurids continued their march westwards, sacking and looting all in their way. It would not be long before the Ottoman capital of Baghdad fell to the Iron Khan. A small Kurdish militia under Baron Rafiq of Maragheh sacrificed itself to buy the Twentieth Legion and Baghdad more time.

Finally, at the city of Deir, on the fields of Anah, just a few days away from Baghdad, the combined forces of Christendom engaged Timur’s invasion force in a brutal battle.

Caliph Savur led a charge on the center of the Timurid army, while Duke Heinrich von Hohenzollern of Saxony attacked the left flank and Commander Gunzelin von Hohenzollern’s divisions attempted to surround the right flank. However, this left the joints between the three Reich divisions open, a fact that Timur exploited mercilessly. Day after day he relentlessly pounded the gaps with his heavy cavalry, attempting to separate the flanks and then finish off each division separately. Savur could not afford another Tabriz. If he died, his armies would fall apart, and then they would all die. No, that could not happen.

Once Heinrich and Gunzelin had secured their positions, Savur ordered all of his flanks to simultaneously strike at all sides of the Timurid army. The sipahis, kataphraktoi, and knights charged straight at the center while the longbowmen rained volley after volley of arrows down on the Lord of Asia’s armies.

Seventy thousand Romans. Seventy thousand Timurids. There could only be one winner.

For days the Timurids held out against the Reich assault, the Iron Khan’s infantry locking their shields together in an improvised testudo formation. The shield-wall was the only thing between the Mongols and certain death at the hands of the vengeful Romans. Timur, getting desperate, called for reinforcements from occupied Persia. However, Martin simply called in the Twentieth Legion from Mesopotamia to reinforce his own armies. A bloodbath ensued at Deir, both sides throwing thousands upon thousands of men at each other to die and drag out the battle for day after day. Neither side wanted to give up. German knights cut down Mongol keshiks, only to be cut down in turn by more keshiks, which were then cut down by kataphraktoi and sipahis.

For every Reich soldier killed, three Timurid warriors were killed in a slaughter that shed so much blood even the barbarian false god Huitzilopochtli would have had trouble drinking it all. For weeks the fields around Deir ran crimson red with the blood of both Mongols and Romans. For months the grass and soil of the area would be stained red. For years the population of the entire region would remain at thirty percent of its pre-Tabriz levels. For decades the Reich would reel from the immense casualties it had taken at Deir, thirty thousand if its men cut to pieces under Timurid hooves and Mongol blades.

But it was Timur whose empire suffered even more.
2015-11-12_00068.jpg

Thirty thousand Romans were killed in that bloodbath, but fifty thousand Timurids had been taken down with them. Martin could easily replace his casualties with reinforcements from his European legions, but as for the Lord of Asia, the troops lost at Deir included many of Timur’s best troops, those which had fought in Afghanistan, Turkestan, Khiva, and northern Persia, those which had won victory for their khan and for the Sun. Timur could not replace his veterans. It was as simple as that. From the moment the Timurids retreated from Deir, their armies crippled by the bloodbath, the tide of the war began to turn.

Savur chased the Timurid survivors into nearby Oromieh, where his forty thousand men attacked Timur’s broken army of twenty thousand men. Despite being outnumbered, Timur made good use of the nearby terrain. He situated his troops on the roughest terrain available so that the Reich legions would have trouble moving. He also camped and entrenched himself on the banks of a river, so that any Reich assault would have to cross the river to get to him.

When Savur did arrive, he fell right into Timur’s trap. But that didn’t matter, as the organization of the Lord of Asia’s army collapsed rapidly under the Ottoman assault. In the end, Timur was forced to retreat again, although he had lost one of his commanders, the mayor of Samarkand.
2015-11-12_00071.jpg

Both sides lost about eight thousand men, which dropped Timur’s army to thirteen thousand but left Savur’s army at around forty thousand, including the reinforcements from a nearby legion that Martin had sent him.

Timur rapidly recalled his other large invasion force, which was sieging Samarra, to reinforce his broken army. However, Savur’s men moved fast and caught up to him on the hills of Chaldiran, where Timur had set up his defenses on the tops of the hills. Day after day Savur sent his infantry to march up the hill and dislodge the Timurids, but Timur simply rained down hail after hail of arrows on the Ottoman troops. Cannons weren’t of much use here either, as they had horrible accuracy and long reload times; both sides nonetheless still employed cannons during this battle, which was probably the reason for the extremely high death tolls suffered by both the Reich and the Timurids.

Both Timur and Savur continuously called for reinforcements from reserve armies, though it was Savur who could get more reinforcements. By the end of the battle, the Ottoman forces numbered about sixty thousand, outnumbering the Timurid armies two to one. Again, Timurid morale collapsed in the last days of the battle, and another slaughter ensued, one almost as devastating as Deir. Over eighteen thousand men were killed on both sides, though on the Reich side that meant twenty-five percent casualties and on the Timurid side that meant over fifty percent casualties.
2015-11-12_00072.jpg

2015-11-12_00074.jpg

Timur’s armies did not retreat into Timurid-occupied northern Persia. Instead, they ran back into the heart of Mesopotamia, where Savur attacked the eight thousand Timurids with an army of almost forty thousand Ottomans. Again, both sides called for reinforcements, though Savur managed to call in twenty thousand and Timur could only call in another two thousand. Both sides lost about six thousand men, and Timur’s force was routed again.
2015-11-12_00076.jpg

While Duke Heinrich of Saxony stayed behind in Baghdad to recover from his wounds, Savur and Gunzelin marched on to destroy the Timurid survivors. At the city of Erebuni, Savur’s forty thousand men assaulted the one thousand Timurids, who were entrenched in the hills again. As the call of “Allahu akbar!” and “For Tabriz!” rang out from the legions, the Timurids stood at their defenses, ready to die for their khan and for the Sun.

Twenty-five Romans were killed in the ensuing slaughter.

There were no Timurid survivors.

Meanwhile, Martin began diverting some legions to attack and destroy the Immortal forces that were sieging southern Mesopotamia. That was accomplished quickly and effectively. At the Battle of Samoudah, almost seven thousand Persians were annihilated by the Roman legions, who suffered 128 casualties.

Timur fled into Persia, where he made a stand with three thousand troops at the city of Rayy, which also happened to be an Immortal stronghold. At the battle of Shahryar, Timur managed to negotiate a temporary alliance with the leader of the Immortals, allowing him to integrate the Persian holy order’s forces into his own army. That didn’t help him much, as a Reich legion of about eight thousand came down upon the combined Timurid-Immortal army of four thousand and utterly annihilated them. Only four hundred Timurids and Immortals survived Shahryar, while only nine hundred Romans were killed. Rayy subsequently fell to a Reich assault.
2015-11-12_00080.jpg
2015-11-12_00081.jpg

Desperate now, Timur ordered an assault on the Azerbaijani city of Lankaran, only for the invading army of five thousand to be destroyed by a small legion of ten thousand under Gunzelin’s command. Timur was rapidly running out of manpower.

Martin began an offensive into Timurid territory, with Savur commanding the legions. In one battle at the city of Rarem in northern Persia, Savur’s army of twenty thousand met a Timurid army of equal strength. The Ottoman and Reich forces lost only a thousand men, while Timur suffered over twenty thousand casualties.

With his entire army devastated, Timur agreed to a peace. Martin was victorious in halting the Timurid advance westwards. A year later, the Zoroastrians were also forced to surrender.

2015-11-12_00095.jpg
2015-11-12_00104.jpg

In the north, the Norse attempted to invade Mexica-occupied Iceland, only to be repelled by a Mexica army of over a hundred thousand. In November of 1382, the Norse decided to abandon the invasion of Iceland and instead invade the Reich. By June of 1383, the Norse had been utterly defeated, with Fylkir Hjalmar II suing for peace.
2015-11-12_00112.jpg

Three years later, news came from Central Asia of the Lord of Asia’s death. Timur had died, though the spies stated that he had “died in battle against himself” for some reason. Whatever the case, his son Shah Rukh was the new Lord of Asia.
2015-11-12_00126.jpg

The first thing Shah Rukh did was to invade Persia again with reinforcements from the Yuan Dynasty. The Shahanshah, still recovering from his losses in a devastating civil war following the first Timurid invasion, was caught unprepared. Martin attempted to send aid to the Persians, but the Moabadan-Moabad declared a Zoroastrian crusade for Mesopotamia again, eliminating any hope of Roman-Persian military cooperation.

In 1392, a small Portuguese city, a rather insignificant one at that, was inherited by a Norseman who had sworn allegiance to the Fylkirate. Martin promptly invaded both the city in question and Denmark.
2015-11-13_00010.jpg

As the invasion of Scandinavia continued, Persia fell to the renewed Timurid offensive, with Shah Rukh taking Esfahan and forcing Shahanshah Humayan I Seljuk into exile in Baluchistan. The Persian Empire lost the entirety of its heartland, which fell under Timurid occupation. Shah Rukh ordered force-conversions of the Zoroastrian population to Zunism at once. On the 27th of September 1393, Shah Rukh personally led an assault on the Hashshashin fortress at Alamut, and despite taking heavy casualties and surviving at least twenty assassination attempts, the Timurids stormed the stronghold and killed every single Hashshashin member they could find. The remaining assassins scattered throughout the Reich and Timurid territories, hunted down mercilessly by the Mongol forces. After about two hundred years of existence, the Hashshashin, the former Muslim holy order which had converted to Zoroastrianism and alternatively helped and hindered the Reich, was no more.
2015-11-13_00018.jpg
2015-11-13_00019.jpg

Shah Rukh moved his government to the former Persian capital of Esfahan, intent on making it the capital of a new Zunist empire, the true center of the world, while Humayun set up a capital in Makran, on the coast of Baluchistan, where he made an agreement with the Samrat Chakravartin of India. Reinforcements from India began arriving a few months later, allowing Humayun to begin making plans to liberate Persia.

Martin was alarmed at the recent developments in Persia, but he was busy leading troops in central Sweden, so he did not have time to deal with the Timurids. Fylkir Hjalmar II died sometime during the war and was succeeded by his four-year-old daughter, Aleta, who became the Fylkja. Aleta’s regents were forced to surrender after a Reich army of sixteen thousand utterly wiped out an army of eighteen thousand Vikings, taking almost no casualties.
2015-11-13_00025.jpg
2015-11-13_00026.jpg

It turned out that the Norse ruler of the Portuguese city was actually the King of Norway, who was forced to swear fealty to Martin. And thus the Kingdom of Norway was established in that single city in Portugal. A few years later, the “King of Norway” inherited the Norse Kingdom of Leon-Andalusia, establishing the Norse Kingdom of Norway-Leon-Andalusia.

With control over Hispania reasserted, Martin turned to the Middle East to deal with the Persians invading Mesopotamia. Originally there were two holy orders that served as the Moabadan-Moabad’s armies: the Immortals and the Hashshashin. The fall of Alamut destroy the Hashshashin Order, leaving only the Immortals to fight the Reich. Gunzelin led the Eighth Legion to attack the Immortal army that was heading for Baghdad. All five thousand Immortals were killed in a single battle against the Eighth Legion, which lost eleven men.

Finally, the Moabadan-Moabad agreed to a white peace with the Reich, as since the Zoroastrians had no armies to fight the imperial legions or any cities to siege nobody could make any progress in the war.
2015-11-13_00032.jpg

Martin ordered a triumph to be held in Constantinople, as he simply had so much money in the imperial treasury he didn’t know what to spend it on.

That was when Shah Rukh attacked the Reich, intent on avenging his father's losses.
2015-11-13_00033.jpg

Chapter 27: Greek fire, Part 2 – Crimea

Crimean coast, 1161

“Pirates!” came the call from above-decks.

That was enough to jolt Nikephoros out of his bunk. He quickly put on his armor and picked up his sword. He was a member of the Sixteenth Legion, part of the division reassigned from Taurica to help the imperial navy hunt down the pirates who had stolen the Greek fire.
2015-10-15_00051.jpg

He emerged on deck just as the pirate fleet came within firing range, and strategos Andronicus Palaeologus shouted, “Prepare for battle! It is time to show these outlaws what happens when they mess with the Reichsflotte!”

The pirate ships attacked first, unleashing a devastating and constant stream of liquid fire upon the Reich vessels and confirming that they were the pirates they were looking for. One, two, and then three ships were quickly engulfed by the flames, their crews jumping overboard to escape the flames, only to find that the water did not put out the intense flames.

“Fire back!” shouted Andronicus.

Several catapults and ballistae launched stones and arrows at the pirates at the same time the crossbow archer division let loose with their arrows, covering the sides of some enemy ships and blanketing the decks with metal and feathers.

Nikephoros watched as one of the Reich vessels sailed up next to a pirate ship and disgorge its division of Sixteenth Legion soldiers onto the enemy ship.

“Alright, lads, prepare to board!” shouted Andronicus.

His ship came up alongside an enemy one, and the sailors threw grappling hooks to lash the two ships together.

“Charge!”

The Reich soldiers stormed the pirate ship and engaged the pirates in close combat. The outlaws were relatively skilled in combat, putting up a fight against the Sixteenth Legion’s men for much longer than Nikephoros expected.

Fighting a naval battle was far different from fighting a regular battle, Nikephoros thought.

1024px-Greekfire-madridskylitzes1.jpg

Depiction of the use of Greek fire

Constantinople, Blachernae Palace

The door to the throne room swung open, and Megas Droungarios John Komnenos walked in, still wearing his armor. The black eagle of the Komnenoi was proudly engraved on the sides and front of his suit, though the main branch of the Komnenoi that it represented had long since died out and had been succeeded by the Komnenoi cadet branch in Mesopotamia. Wilhelmina was not intimidated by this man, as she knew that her eunuchs and Varangians would make short work of him if he attempted to seize the throne.

“Well?” Wilhelmina asked.

“My Empress, the Imperial Fleet has located the pirates,” said John, “There was a battle off the coast of Taurica, in which we lost much of the task force. They managed to escape, but we…we managed to capture one of their ships, along with its crew.”
2015-10-15_00053.jpg

The man motioned to his servants outside, who left and returned, dragging a young woman in chains into the throne room.

The instant the woman was brought into the room, Wilhelmina couldn’t help but compare her to her mentor, Gunhilda. Like Gunhilda, she had cut her hair shorter than usual and was wearing trousers instead of a dress. Her eyes carried intelligence and defiance like the former soldier. There was something about this woman…

“Your Majesty, this is Despina,” said John Komnenos, “Megas Doux Theodoros Doukas had the same reaction to her when I brought her before him. Strategos Andronicus Palaeologus’s men found her apparently commanding one of the pirate ships, the one that we captured.”

“Get your filthy hands off me, you pig!” shouted Despina, thrashing around in her chains, “My father will kill you!”

John Komnenos raised his hand as if to strike her. “Why, do you know who I am? Your father is nothing compared to me. He is an outlaw, a criminal, lower than swine—”

“Pirate king!” Despina said defiantly, “Kyrillos the Pirate King! Get it right!”

“Yeah, get it right, he shares my name,” whispered Kirill into Wilhelmina’s ear. She simply swatted away the image.

“Enough,” she said, “Megas Droungarios Komnenos, leave the prisoner alone. She may have vital information that we need…as well as a suitable hostage.”

John Komnenos left the room.

“Yeah, like where I am,” said Kirill.

“Will you just shut up for a second?!” whispered Wilhelmina.

Kirill waited a whole second before saying, “Okay, that’s out of the way. So I bet you’re going to just throw her in the dungeons with my wife and daughters then…”

“Why would I do such a thing?” said Wilhelmina.

“Because I know you,” said Kirill, “Deep down inside you, that’s you. That’s the sister I knew. And that’s who you’ll be to the end. A woman paranoid about keeping her grip on the throne intact.”

“Enough!” she shouted.

“Your Highness?” said a eunuch.

“Nothing, I’m fine,” said Wilhelmina.

Constantinople, January 1162
One day, servants found a piece of paper nailed to the gates of the palace. It was signed by a man named “Kyrillos” and acknowledged that the woman held prisoner was his daughter. Kyrillos was offering an exchange: Despina for the liquid fire formula, stockpile, and scientists.

Wilhelmina paced the floors of the palace, thinking about what to do. She could simply send in the Sixth Legion to the island Kyrillos wanted to meet on and destroy his forces or deploy the fleet to ambush Kyrillos’s ships, but she knew Kyrillos would not fall for that trick.

“Oh he will,” said Kirill, standing behind her.

“No,” said Wilhelmina, “He won’t.”

“Ah, so we finally got past that whole ‘get out of my face’ stage, eh?” said Kirill, looking slightly amused. “Well, I’ll have you know, you have two choices: send in the fleet and legion, and risk Kyrillos escaping, or you could do things the sneaky way, like pretending that you are going through with the deal and then backstabbing him. Or you could just do the trade and get it over with, avoiding the backstabbing and all that. But it’s up to you, sister.”

Wilhelmina stopped to think. “I think I have an idea, Kirill…”

She turned and found that Kirill had vanished again.
2015-10-15_00054.jpg

Has India done anything at all or are they just chilling in their isolated corner of the world?

The Greek Fire event chain is always entertaining. Here's hoping you actually catch the Pirate King.

Has India done anything at all or are they just chilling in their isolated corner of the world?

At one point in the 12th century they had a huge doomstack which they used to invade Afghanistan. They won but then promptly lost their gains in a Ghaznavid invasion when the doomstack was destroyed during a huge civil war where basically every single Indian vassal rebelled. Now they're just chilling around, hoping the Timurids don't go full Mughal on them...

Could we get a map of the world at this point? It seems quite a bit of territory is changing hands.

Could we get a map of the world at this point? It seems quite a bit of territory is changing hands.
Yes, that along with some other information will come up once we hit 1400. I'll also give a brief explanation of what happened in various parts of the world.

Chapter 28: Persepolis
“Great empires have been forged and destroyed here. Persia’s fortunes rose and fell with this great city. The first Persian Empire built this city. When the city fell to the Greeks, the Persians fell with it. The second Persian Empire inherited this city. When the city fell to the Arabs, the Persians fell with it. The third Persian Empire knew about this city. When the city fell to me, the Persians have fallen with it. This city has seen over a thousand years of battle. It has always been the battleground between the east and the west, between Greeks and Persians, between Romans and Persians, between Romans and Arabs, between Romans and Mongols, and now between us two. There can only be one victor at the gates of Persepolis!”
-Khagan Shah Rukh “the Holy”

“If I was given a choice between living on my knees and dying on my feet, I would gladly die on my feet. Saint Wilhelmina protect us!”

The instant the Timurids began their invasion of the Reich, the Persians struck back, using their reinforcements from India to attack Timurid-occupied Persia and Afghanistan; India, Persia, and the Reich, the three great empires of the east, were all indirectly supporting each other in fighting the Timurid hordes. As the Persians invaded from the south and the east, the Reich legions invaded from the west, picking off Timurid scouts and skirmish forces and then retreating before the main Timurid armies could catch up. Martin kept this up for over a year, his strategy to bleed the Timurid armies as dry as possible while the Persians engaged the main armies in eastern Persia.

Then, in September of 1396, all of the imperial legions converged on the province of Shiraz, where the Sixth Legion, numbering twenty thousand, had come under attack from a Timurid army of fifty thousand men, commanded personally by Shah Rukh himself. Shah Rukh had predicted an easy victory when he assaulted the Sixth Legion at Shiraz, as he outnumbered the legion five to two. What he didn’t know was that it was a trap Martin had set, as another fifty thousand Romans had begun to march on Shiraz the instant the Timurid armies engaged the Sixth Legion. Martin had adapted the tactics used by feared barbarian leaders such as Ocuil Acatl and Genghis Khan and was now using them against the barbarians to devastating effect.

All of the armies, Persian, Ottoman, Fatimid, German, and Timurid, converged on the same location outside of Shiraz, where the Sixth Legion had entrenched itself on the hills near some ruins dating from the time of the first Persian Empire. Had Martin not been here to fight, he would have realized that the ruins were those of the city that Alexander the Great had sacked and burned down thousands of years ago. That city was the very embodiment of Persia’s soul.

It was known as “Persia’s city,” or simply Persepolis. And the battles fought there would go down in history along with Ergyng, Tabriz, and Deir as ones which would decide the fate of a mighty empire.
2015-11-13_00047.jpg

The Lord of Asia had concentrated his entire force into a single coherent mass capable of crushing everything in its way except for an equally large mass. As Shah Rukh moved into the ruins of Persepolis, the Reich legions continuously harassed the Timurid warriors with hit and run tactics, appearing from behind the columns and walls of the city to inflict small damage on the enemy before vanishing into the dead city once again. This had a large effect on the morale of the Timurids, so when they finally made it to the plains they were quite disorganized. Attrition was making short work of the Timurids, for in such a large group it was hard to distribute resources appropriately and on time. Hundreds died by the day.

When they reached the open plains outside the ruins, they were immediately met with Ottoman and Reich cannon fire. A dozen guns boomed with the sound of thunder, lobbing iron projectiles at the Timurid army at unnatural speeds. The ground in front of the Timurids exploded with shrapnel as men and horses were blown to bits. The survivors, having never experienced such an artillery bombardment before, scattered. Meanwhile, the Sixth Legion, from its position high up on the hills, began raining down volley after volley of arrows on the Timurids, doing extensive damage to the flanks and allowing the kataphraktoi to charge at the center from all sides.

Disorganized, Shah Rukh attempted to order a retreat, but the Ottoman sipahis made sure that nobody would escape. Forced to give battle, the son of the Iron Khan ordered his men to fight to the death.

The battle lasted for at least two months. How long exactly, Martin did not know, as he was hit in the knee with a Timurid arrow and spent the next few months recovering, issuing orders to his troops from his bed while the King of France and King of Scotland continued to lead the legions.
2015-11-13_00048.jpg

The battle was over by mid-October, with the Reich utterly victorious and the Timurid army shattered. Over forty thousand Timurids were killed, as opposed to five thousand Romans.
2015-11-13_00049.jpg
2015-11-13_00050.jpg

After his wound healed, Martin quickly got on his horse and rode out to his troops just as they were attacked by Shah Rukh’s entire army, which now numbered around thirty thousand. The Romans and the Timurids clashed again near Shiraz, though this time Martin chose the city of Bishapur as the battlefield due to its hilly terrain.
2015-11-13_00051.jpg

When the two armies clashed again, both sides called in reinforcements from the rest of Persia, and by the end the Timurids had fielded about fifty-five thousand men on the fields of Bishapur to fight the Romans’ forty-eight thousand. Despite the fact that he was outnumbered, it was the cannons and the kataphraktoi which decided the battle in favor of the Reich. Martin personally led a cavalry charge on the direct center of Shah Rukh’s attacking force, which broke the Mongols enough for the flanking cavalry to finish off the rest of the Timurid army. The Romans lost thirteen thousand men that day, but the Timurids lost over three times that number.
2015-11-13_00052.jpg

The battles of Persepolis and Bishapur were enough to drive Shah Rukh to the negotiating table, but Martin wasn’t done with the Timurids yet. Instead of immediately forcing a surrender on Shah Rukh like his predecessors would have done, he went after the remaining Timurid armies, intent on completely destroying the Timurid military and guaranteeing the Persians a victory over Shah Rukh after the Romans withdrew. In several repeated battles, Martin’s armies engaged every single Timurid army they could find, regardless of size. Each battle was an overwhelming victory for the Reich, with only a few hundred Romans killed but at least a few thousand Timurids taken down with them. A joint Persian-Roman army succeeded in taking the Timurid capital of Esfahan, while the Persian armies finished off what little opposition Shah Rukh could field.
2015-11-13_00054.jpg
2015-11-13_00057.jpg

2015-11-13_00065.jpg

Martin himself marched the Sixth Legion all the way to Samarkand, sacked the city, and “liberated” the body of his father, Friedrich Augustin II, which he reinterred in the Hohenzollern imperial crypt in Potsdam with full honors. Then he marched back, destroying at least three Timurid armies on the way before the Persians could get them.
2015-11-13_00071.jpg
On 26 December 1399, three hundred and twenty-four years after the Christmas liberation of Jerusalem by Friedrich the Great, Martin the Noble forced Shah Rukh to surrender to the Reich, leaving the Lord of Asia at the mercy of the vengeful Persians.
2015-11-13_00072.jpg
2015-11-13_00073.jpg

And so the fourteenth century, a century of sweeping changes, came to an end.

What a way to end the fourteenth century. A hundred years filled with far ends with another massive war. The Reich maintains the status quo, destroying all who would try and topple them.

The battle lasted for at least two months. How long exactly, Martin did not know, as he was hit in the knee with a Timurid arrow and spent the next few months recovering, issuing orders to his troops from his bed while the King of France and King of Scotland continued to lead the legions.

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Reactions:
Update 28: The Known World in 1400

This was His Imperial and Royal Highness Martin I "the Noble," Kaiser of Rome, Germania, Carpathia, Britannia, and Arabia; King of Prussia, Bavaria, Greater Moravia; Duke of Brandenburg; Lord of Berlin and Constantinople; by the Grace of God Defender of the Faith, Sayyid descendant of the Prophet Muhammad, descendant of the Saoshyant, etc. etc.
2015-11-13_00084.jpg

Europe in 1400 has vastly changed over the last one hundred years.
2015-11-13_00075.jpg
The Mexica Triple Alliance has been pushed back by the combined forces of the Norse Empire and the Reich, with the Acatls only holding on to Iceland. It is only a matter of time before the Norse decide to finish them off once and for all.
2015-11-13_00077.jpg

In Central Asia, the empire of the Iron Khan is among the most powerful in the region, but they have been significantly weakened after the Reich victories of Persepolis and Bishapur. The Persians, their ranks boosted with reinforcements from the Empire of Bharat, are poised to reclaim what is rightfully theirs and push Shah Rukh back to Samarkand.
2015-11-13_00074.jpg
Lithuania has expanded further up the Baltic. It ceased to be a Reich protectorate and tributary state during the reign of Reinhard the Mad, and his son and grandson never bothered to reestablish the tributary relationship, as they did not need any tribute and the Lithuanians were capable of standing up to the Norse on their own now.
2015-11-13_00076.jpg

2015-11-13_00078.jpg
Abyssinia has been at peace ever since the milkhemet reshut of the late 13th century, and its relations with the Reich have long been normalized. Bharat has also remained at peace, its armies among the most capable in the world besides the Reich's, though it is not a hermit kingdom. It has established friendly relations with the Persian Empire in exile, as Shah Rukh has made clear his intentions to conquer India.
Control of the steppes is divided between the Yegu Khanate and the Onggirat Khanate, the latter of which is still ruled by the descendants of Genghis Khan. In the north lies the Empire of Yavdi, which had been in existence from at least the twelfth century. Over the course of its existence Yavdi had variously lost its founding dynasty, the Yavdi, abandoned its nomadic traditions, abandoned Tengri in favor of the Suomenusko religion, was repeatedly partitioned between the Norse, the Yegu, the Onggirat, and the Mongols before managing each time to regain its independence, and finally abandoned its Finnish heritage in favor of the Mongol culture that Genghis Khan was a part of. In the Tarim Basin, wedged in between the Timurids and the Onggirats, lies the remains of the old Ghaznavid Khaganate. For centuries, the Ghaznavids had been the dominant power in Central Asia between the Persians and the Indians, having fought off multiple Indian and Persian invasions over the course of its existence. Its founder was a Muslim Turk named Sabuktugin, but when Islam collapsed due to the repeated crusading of Friedrich the Great his descendants turned to Zunism. The Ghaznavids were subjugated in the early stages of Genghis Khan's conquests, providing many shock troops for the Khan of Khans in his other conquests. During this time the Turks abandoned Zunism in favor of the Slavic faith, which they retained up until the Timurid invasions and conquests. In the span of a few years Timur had seized all of the Ghaznavid territories east of the Tarim Basin and began conquering his way into Persia, leaving the Padishah to rebuild his empire in the east.
2015-11-13_00079.jpg

Aside from multiple ill-fated invasions of the Reich, the Malian Empire remains at peace.
2015-11-13_00080.jpg
The borders of the Reich remain unchanged, along with the distribution of faiths inside its borders. Much of Hispania is still divided between the Norse in the south and west and the Christians in the north and west, with Portugal and Galicia abandoning worship of Odin in favor of the West African religion. Judaism remains firmly rooted in Arabia and Ethiopia, though Islam is beginning to make a comeback in Azerbaijan and Baghdad, where the two Caliphs hold court.
2015-11-13_00081.jpg
Inside the Timurid Empire, forced conversions are carried out against the Zoroastrians in occupied Persia. Many are forced to renounce Zoroaster and praise the Sun. Those who do not are executed.
Zoroastrianism lives on in Persian Baluchistan, where the Shahanshah continues to rule, though the Persians who managed to escape the Timurid conquest are eager to return home and seek vengeance on the Zun-worshippers.
Jainism and Buddhism have been completely eradicated from India for some time now.
2015-11-13_00083.jpg
The Norse of Scandinavia remain Norse, though those in the Lithuanian territories are reluctantly accepting worship of Perkunas. Russia remains Slavic, as it has for decades. It has been the target of at least twenty Suomenusko crusades, at least five Romuva crusades, and at least ten Tengri crusades, all of which ended in a Russian victory.
2015-11-13_00082.jpg
Religion in the steppes changes as rapidly as the position of the sun in the sky. The remnants of Judaism in the steppes is left over from the the Saray Khaganate dominated the region but was slowly picked apart by the Tengri khanates of Yegu and Onggirat. Finally, the Yegu Khanate finished off the Saray Khaganate, and the Jews fled to the Onggirats, where at least one khagan made Judaism his state religion, while another was a Zunist; most khagans are still Tengri-worshippers though. In Yavdi, there are some Norse followers, but the Yavdi government does not tolerate their presence and roots them out whenever possible. Some Yegu vassals have adopted the Finnish religion, while a lone rabbi on the Yegu-Yavdi border continues to preach Judaism independent of all developments in Saray.
In the Ghaznavid domains the Turks, Uyghurs, and Khazars under the Padishah's rule still follow the Slavic ways. They are the last Slavs outside of Russia.
2015-11-13_00085.jpg

Cultural makeup of the Reich has changed significantly since the 14th century. This is most evident in Italy, where most Italians have either begun to identify themselves as Germans or adopted the Lombard traditions of their ancestors. The Scots are slowly being assimilated into German culture, while Anglo-Saxon has made a comeback and now competes for dominance of England with English. Southern England is divided between the Germans and the Anglo-Saxons, while the Occitan culture is beginning to be assimilated into German as their French counterparts have been centuries ago. The Balkans have been divided between the Greeks and the Germans, with the Germans settling everything north of Greece and the Greeks getting everything else. The eastern Poles have resisted assimilation, though the western Poles have.
2015-11-13_00090.jpg
"In the Norse Empire, most Norsemen are Norse and Norse," goes a popular saying in the Hansa.
Finnish culture has been all but eradicated in the Yavdi Empire.
2015-11-13_00086.jpg
The steppes are almost entirely Mongol, with Khazar holdouts in Yavdi and the Ghaznavid Empire.
2015-11-13_00088.jpg
Most Arabs have long been assimilated into German or Ashkenazi culture. Those who refused assimilation found refuge on Socotra.
2015-11-13_00089.jpg
2015-11-13_00087.jpg

Some in the Timurid Empire have adopted Mongol traditions, most of them in the area around Samarkand, where Shah Rukh held court before his capital moved to Esfahan.

The fourteenth century has ended. A new age of rebirth is beginning as the Reich begins to move not just out of the Thirteenth Century Crisis, but out of the Middle Ages and feudalism itself.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 29: Greek fire, Part 3 – The Island

An island in the Black Sea, 1162

Wilhelmina stepped off her small boat, Megas Droungarios John Komnenos and a division of Varangians following closely behind. Despina was brought in chains by more soldiers who followed the Varangians.

Kyrillos was already on this small and barren island, some of his fellow criminals standing beside him, malevolent and mischievous looks in their eyes. He wore elaborate clothing, if one could call it that, and had golden rings all over his arms and wrists. He didn’t look like any stereotypical generic pirate, but rather like a more practical criminal.

“Hey, want to talk to him first?” said Kirill.

Wilhelmina simply swatted away the apparition.

“Empress of the Romans,” said the pirate king, “Hand over the girl, and I hand you the formula. That is the deal.”

“Or you could just backstab him now and get everything,” said Kirill, “I guarantee it.”

“Shut up, I’m thinking!” Wilhelmina snapped.

The other pirates gestured to an old man they held in chains, a piece of paper in his hands. Behind him was a stack of moderate-sized boxes that were presumably filled with the liquid fire.

Wilhelmina looked over at John Komnenos and pointed at Despina. The Megas Droungarios nodded and shouted orders to the Varangians, who escorted the young woman to the front. Luckily Megas Doux Theodoros Doukas wasn’t here, Wilhelmina thought. Theodoros would have made things unnecessarily complicated, as befitting of a major dynatos.

“Ah, following through on the deal?” asked Kirill. “Whatever happened to ‘We will not negotiate with pirates’?”

“I never said that, that was Theodoros!” Wilhelmina responded. “You know Theodoros!”

“That arrogant young man, yeah I know Theodoros,” said Kirill.

The Varangians released Despina at the same time the pirates released the old man. Kyrillos motioned to the rest of his men, who began picking up the boxes and carrying them to Wilhelmina’s side.

When the boxes were all on Wilhelmina’s side and the old man and Despina had traded spots, Kyrillos and Kirill grinned, and for a second Wilhelmina thought he was going to backstab her.

“Told you so,” said Kirill.

“I am an honorable man,” said Kyrillos, “I have fulfilled my part of the deal. You’re lucky you captured my daughter. If you had got my wife though…Anyways, this deal is concluded. You got your fire back, I got my daughter back. May we part ways and never see each other again. Oh, and sorry about the warehouse. Standard pirate procedures. We had to cover our tracks.”

The pirates retreated to their ships, to Kirill’s amazement.

“Get—him—now!” shouted Kirill.

“No!” whispered Wilhelmina.

“You really going to let him get away?!” said Kirill.

“Yes,” said Wilhelmina.

They returned to their ship and sailed away, back to Constantinople.

2015-10-15_00055.jpg

The Dardanelles Straits, a little bit later

Wilhelmina sat in the captain’s cabin of her flagship as Theodoros Doukas and John Komnenos entered or rather were directed into the room, as they were arguing with each other quite fiercely.

“The Komnenoi claim this victory!” shouted John. “It was our ships that got him first!”

“No, this is the Doukai’s win!” shouted Theodoros. “It was our men that stormed his ship!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did NOT!”

“Did TOO!”

“I suppose if you’re going to argue that then it Andronicus who should get the credit, as he commanded your ships!”

“That doesn’t even make sense! He’s just a strategos! Not even a major dynatos!”

“Enough!” shouted Wilhelmina. “Quit your petty dynatoi feuds just for one day at least! You are here to tell me about the results of the ambush!”

“Wait, what?” Kirill said.

“What, you didn’t know? Aren’t you just a figment of my imagination?” Wilhelmina said.

“Hey, sometimes I need to take a break from being a figment of your imagination—or maybe I’m not a figment of your imagination,” Kirill said.

“Your Majesty, the ambush was a success!” said Theodoros, excitedly, “After some elaborate planning and strategic maneuvering around his ship, we then placed mines in front of his path before proceeding to—”

“Oh, please!” said John, quite annoyed, “To clarify, we got him. We also got Despina back too. His galley is currently controlled by Theodoros’s—” John glared at Theodoros. “His men. That pirate ring will never threaten us again.”

“Excellent,” said Wilhelmina, “Good work, men. Theodoros, you may go now.”

Theodoros bowed and left the room.

Megas Droungarios John Komnenos, bring me the prisoners.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

Despina and Kyrillos were led into the room, both in chains now, by John Komnenos.

"Ah, so you're going to either execute them or imprison them like with my family," Kirill said, "Smart move you're doing there, sister."

"Shut up!" Wilhelmina said.

To her two prisoners, she said, "I am a merciful Kaiserin. Megas Droungarios, unlock their chains. They are to be set free at once."

"WHAT?!" shouted John Komnenos.

"WHAT?!" shouted Theodoros Doukas, who just walked back into the room at that moment.

"WHAT?!" screamed Kirill in Wilhelmina's ear, half sarcastic.

"You heard me, unchain them immediately!" Wilhelmina demanded.

"But with all due respect, Your Highness--" Theodoros said.

"My word is law! Do you question my will?" Wilhelmina snapped.

"Uh, no..."

"Then do as I say or I'll have you fired!"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Theodoros took the keys out of John's still paralyzed hands and unlocked the pirates' chains.

"Kyrillos, for your actions this last few months, I commend you," said Wilhelmina, "You have managed to do what no army, no government, no king or emperor has ever done and steal the liquid fire. I cannot simply throw such a man in the dungeon, no matter what crime he committed. Therefore, in my infinite mercy, I pardon your crimes against the Throne and the Reich and designate you Count of Naxos. There you may rule over the islands justly and legally in peace; as you referred to yourself as the "Pirate King," so you will be true nobility now, though it is beyond my power to make you a true king. In return for your freedom and titles you will loyally serve me as both a vassal and as a fleet admiral, protecting the Throne which has shown mercy to you. Should you ever rebel against me or a higher-ranking noble, you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of Reich law. Understand?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," said Kyrillos.

"We shall remain loyal to you for the rest of our lives," said Despina, "Thank you, good Kaiserin, for your mercy!"

"Really, Wilhelmina?" said Kirill

Wilhelmina smiled as the ship entered the harbor of Constantinople. "Oh yes, brother. I am merciful. Sadly you couldn't accept my mercy while you were alive."

Kirill scowled a little bit. "You win this time, sister..."

And he vanished again.

Wilhelmina stepped onto the deck and took a breath of fresh sea air. The sky was bright, and Constantinople looked like it was shining. She had done it--where the men had failed she had recovered the liquid fire. The Reich was safe again. Now she could finally return to Berlin and to her court.

"It's good to be Kaiserin," she said to herself.
2015-10-15_00056.jpg

Chapter 30: 300
“Three hundred years ago, my ancestor Friedrich the Glorious proclaimed the creation of the Roman Reich. Now, I can tell you that he would be proud at our progress. The Reich is the most powerful nation in the known world. This is only the beginning of a thousand years of a new Pax Romana, a thousand years of Roman domination, a thousand year Reich!”

(Gargling sound is heard from the baby) “Her Imperial and Royal Majesty the Fylkja Aleta I Estrid, Commander of the Norse faithful, hereby declares a Helig krig against the infidels of the Reich. Our enemies will tremble in fear as our berserkers fight in the name the All-father!”
-Fylkja Aleta’s regent

On 7 December 1400, the Reich was attacked by the Norse yet again. The worshippers of Odin were now led by an infant girl named Aleta, and her regents were eager for war.
2015-11-13_00125.jpg

Martin gave them their war and the berserkers their glorious deaths in battle. Martin deployed at least eight legions to invade Denmark, as was expected by everybody. What was not expected was that the Malians then invaded Provincia Afrika.
2015-11-13_00127.jpg

Martin led an army straight through Denmark and into Sweden, destroying every Norse army in his path. Even armies of twenty thousand and even forty thousand were no match for the unstoppable Reich legions, with nobody surviving the deadly offensives; the Vikings were devastated by repeated artillery bombardments which they had never seen before.
2015-11-13_00130.jpg
2015-11-13_00132.jpg
2015-11-13_00133.jpg
2015-11-13_00134.jpg
2015-11-13_00135.jpg
2015-11-13_00136.jpg
2015-11-13_00139.jpg

By 1402, the overeager regent was forced to surrender, and Martin turned his attention to Mali. He sent in the legions of Hispania, Afrika, and Mauretania to defend against the Malian forces sent across the Sahara in the name of the Spirits. Every battle was a victory for the Reich. The Malian emperor himself was unable to participate, as he had somehow been imprisoned in Martin’s dungeon.
2015-11-13_00151.jpg

Just when the West African High Priest agreed to a surrender, the Zoroastrian Persians invaded Provincia Mesopotamia, almost immediately after Shahanshah Humayan II managed to defeat Shah Rukh and liberate the Persian heartland. Three years later, the Zoroastrians surrendered, with almost no armies having been sent to invade the Reich.
2015-11-13_00150.jpg
2015-11-13_00156.jpg

Meanwhile, Martin ordered celebrations for the three-hundredth year anniversary of the founding of the Reich to begin. Massive triumphs were held in all of the major cities of the empire, outdoing everything did at the previous bicentennial celebration. He had a lot of extra money in his treasury, so he spent lavishly on everything.

In 1409, one of Martin’s cousins, Robert, became an adventurer and rebelled two years later, raising an army and declaring himself Kaiser…in eastern India. Martin simply raised two legions in Baghdad and Abu Dhabi and waited a whole year for Robert to march across India and Persia and get to the border. Robert walked right into a trap and his army was annihilated in several quick battles against the legions. He was imprisoned but later pardoned and given a small mansion in Berlin where he could live in peace.
2015-11-13_00165.jpg
2015-11-13_00171.jpg
2015-11-13_00173.jpg

In 1415, Fylkja Aleta, now a young woman, invaded the Reich again, this time personally leading an army of berserkers in Sweden. Around the same time, the Malians invaded again.
2015-11-13_00175.jpg
2015-11-13_00178.jpg
2015-11-13_00181.jpg

By March of 1416, Aleta agreed to a surrender, with the capital of Uppland and most of Denmark under Reich occupation and Martin himself about to destroy Aleta’s army.
2015-11-13_00182.jpg

Two years later, the Khan of Yegu converted to Zoroastrianism, and the Malians were utterly defeated by the legions again.
2015-11-13_00186.jpg
2015-11-13_00190.jpg

In 1418, the Persians invaded again, with the Moabadan-Moabad eager to defeat the Reich, despite the Shahanshah’s protests. Martin didn’t even bother to mobilize more than one legion, confident that only the Immortals and a few mercenaries would follow the Persians into yet another suicidal war.
2015-11-13_00194.jpg
The Empress-consort died on 19 November 1419 of old age. Martin never recovered from the death of his beloved wife, and he refused to remarry, despite the Queen of Wales proposing a marriage to her sister and heir on 7 December.
2015-11-13_00195.jpg
2015-11-13_00196.jpg

One week later, Martin followed his wife to heaven.
2015-11-13_00197.jpg

Thank you for the world update, things are quite complicated culture-wise for the world. Should make for some fun upon conversion.

I like Saint Wilhelmina more with every chapter on her. She handled the Pirate King beautifully. The banter with Kirill is fantastic as ever.

So many more wars, but the Reich will not fall. Martin was an excellent emperor. How old is Friedrich III? He might be your last ruler in CK2.

Thank you for the world update, things are quite complicated culture-wise for the world. Should make for some fun upon conversion.

I like Saint Wilhelmina more with every chapter on her. She handled the Pirate King beautifully. The banter with Kirill is fantastic as ever.

So many more wars, but the Reich will not fall. Martin was an excellent emperor. How old is Friedrich III? He might be your last ruler in CK2.
He's a bit young (30-ish), so he'll probably last until 1444 barring any "accidents.":D

Does anyone ever notice that the emperors and empresses almost seem to be talking to ghosts? :rolleyes:

Now I'm wondering how a claimant to the imperial throne ended up in eastern India. What a weird place to launch an invasion from. :p

Chapter 31: Saint Wilhelmina, Gunhilda’s Daughter
“Do I have to repeat myself? Go out there and fight, soldiers of Christ!”
-Saint Wilhelmina

“Not even the emperor of Mali could beat me in a straight fight, Fylkir! What are your chances of beating me?”

-Saint Wilhelmina

"She may not be Gunhilda's daughter, but Gunhilda would still be proud of her."
-Ali, Kaiser-consort

The Khagan of Saray converted to Norse one day out of the blue. His only comment on the matter was that “Odin is cooler than YHWH.” All of his vassals promptly rebelled and threatened to put a Jewish khan on the throne, which resulted in the Khagan quickly converting back to Judaism.
2015-10-15_00057.jpg

Wilhelmina was not concerned with the rather fluid nature of religions in the steppes, as the Malians were invading Mauretania yet again.
2015-10-16_00001.jpg

She promptly got on her horse, rode all the way to the front, and invaded Mali at the head of the Fourteenth Legion, quickly sharpening her military skills and defeating the Malian emperor’s army in a battle near Timbuktu. It was said that she personally fought the Malian emperor in personal combat and defeated him, managing to throw him on his back and accidentally rendering him comatose.
2015-10-16_00003.jpg
2015-10-16_00004.jpg
2015-10-16_00005.jpg
2015-10-16_00006.jpg
2015-10-16_00007.jpg

The West African High Priest was forced to surrender in January of 1165. A few months later, Wilhelmina received a puppy as a gift from one of her Jewish friends, which she named “Hunter.” This hunting dog would be one of her most faithful companions for the rest of her life.
2015-10-16_00017.jpg
2015-10-16_00020.jpg

Peace lasted the whole of three years, ending with a Norse invasion in 1168. Wilhelmina sent King Burchard II of France to deal with the Norse before deciding to lead the legions herself. She then invaded Denmark at the head of the First Legion, seizing at least seven cities before Fylkir Haraldr II engaged her in battle. Saint Wilhelmina proceeded to defeat Fylkir Haraldr in personal combat, humiliating and gaining the respect of the Norse, while the First Legion destroyed the Norse army and scattered its survivors. Upon returning to his palace, Haraldr immediately sued for peace in December.
2015-10-16_00030.jpg
2015-10-16_00031.jpg
2015-10-16_00033.jpg

In 1171, her husband Ali died as an infirm old man. Wilhelmina stood at his bedside to the very end. She loved him dearly and never remarried, wearing black clothing for the rest of her life; future scholars would claim that Wilhelmina's marriage to Ali was the "ideal marriage." Mourning lasted for several weeks, but Wilhelmina herself never stopped mourning.
2015-10-17_00009.jpg

When the Persians invaded in 1174, Wilhelmina reluctantly got on her horse and rode out to the front.
2015-10-17_00014.jpg

2015-10-18_00001.jpg

Persia, November 1174
Wilhelmina charged through the chaos, her sword rising and falling as she cut down more and more Persians. She was getting old, but she could still fight. Ahead of her were even more Persians, following the Moabadan-Moabad into battle. They were steadily pushing back the Roman troops, though Wilhelmina knew she could simply call in more reinforcements.
There were too many of them. She was getting overwhelmed now. She cut down another Persian only to find herself surrounded by a ring of Zoroastrians. She was trapped. The Persians closed in on her.
Her eyes swept around, trying to find weaknesses in the ring, but there were too many of them. She would likely die here, and that would be catastrophic for the Reich.
She needed help, but her men were elsewhere and likely would not make it in time. Then she remembered what Gunhilda said about her visions guiding her. They seemed awfully familiar to...
"Kirill, I'm going to need your help," said Wilhelmina, softly.
"Yes, sister?" said Kirill, appearing next to her.
"Look, I know we're not on the best of terms, but I want to let you know that I'm a different person now," she said, "I'm not that ruthless killer I was when you were alive. I've changed. I've grown. I'm sorry for everything."
Kirill just looked at her. "And I'm sorry too," he said, quite seriously, "Sorry for having to fight you in life. You know, I've always wanted to atone for my sins."
"Then help me now," she said.
"Gladly," he said, and Kirill's image vanished.
The next thing she knew, she was throwing herself into the Persian mass, her sword whirling around her as an extension of her arm, which she barely felt. She felt like she was in a trance as she hacked apart each Persian with ruthless efficiency, her mouth shouting orders at a pace so rapidly she could not even hear what she was saying. Her mind was filled with Kirill's voice, telling her where to strike, where to dodge, who was behind her, everything she needed to know. Everything felt so distant from her...
She snapped out of her trance some time later, surrounded by the bodies of at least twenty Persians, as the Reich soldiers simply stopped fighting to stare at her. She stared back.
"What?" she said. "Go back to fighting!"
And they did.
2015-10-18_00002.jpg

Chapter 32: Friedrich Augustin III and the Giant of Napoli
“1418 – A giant destroyed several villages in Napoli, but then disappeared without trace.”
-Friedrich Augustin III’s chronicler

“Uh, a giant? Seriously?”
-Friedrich Augustin III

Napoli, 1418

A Lombard merchant was setting up his vegetables at his stall at the town market. It would only be a matter of time before the customers arrived, and he expected high profits.

Suddenly everything darkened around him, and some other merchants began muttering and pointing at something in the sky. Was it an eclipse?

The merchant looked up and saw for himself, just in time for an enormous foot to slam down on top of his stall, crushing everything in the area. The merchant managed to jump out of the way of the giant’s footsteps before he too was squashed like a bug.

The huge beast let out an inhuman roar as it continued its rampage through the city.

The merchant, though, looked at the remains of his stall. He had worked so hard to build the stall and grow those vegetables. That was why his family had moved from Marrakech to Napoli, to make more money. This stall was only one of the many stalls his family’s company ran, and his family’s company sold much more than mere vegetables, but this had been his passion, his whole life’s work, literally crushed before his eyes.

“MY CABBAGES!”

---

Friedrich Augustin III looked over the reports the mayor of Napoli had given to him. Apparently a giant was terrorizing the entire region. This sounded like something out of the stories of Kaiser Sigismund “the Dragon-slayer,” which involved his ancestor fighting a dragon in Marrakech. Why do the monsters have to be in really weird locations? Friedrich Augustin thought. Couldn’t they all just appear in Germany to begin with?

“Bloody Lombards,” he muttered, “Are you kidding me?”

“Oh they’re not kidding,” said Saint Wilhelmina, who was wearing her armor, “There’s what appears to be giant out there, and I suggest you find out what it really is.”

“Are you saying it’s not a giant?”

“Hey, just because it does everything a giant does, well, does not make it a giant.”

“You’re confusing me, it’s obviously a giant.”

“Calm down, child. All I’m saying is, be careful out there.”

“Well, then, what should I do, figment of my imagination?”

Wilhelmina smiled. “Am I a figment of your imagination, or not?”

And she was gone.

Friedrich Augustin personally led the Fifth Legion out to where the reports indicated. The soldiers of Legion V von Italia had some of the most advanced weapons the Reich had. While the majority of them carried swords and shields or were knights, a significant number of them were armed with guns, and no less than eight cannons were taken with them. This giant picked the wrong time to mess with the Reich, Friedrich Augustin III thought.

His mind wandered off to the events of a week ago. He was in Rome, discussing theology with the Ecumenical Patriarch and the rest of the (Orthodox) Vatican, when news came of his father’s death from old age. The Patriarch promptly crowned him on the spot. Friedrich Augustin was still trying to get over the fact that his father was dead and that he was Kaiser now. He was caught completely unprepared, though his father was getting quite old, but then again everybody else was also caught unprepared. And then all of this nonsense of a blasted giant? Well, at least he could show off his martial prowess to everybody here.

“Steady, men, we are approaching the village!” he shouted.

As soon as he said that, a large humanoid form blocked out the sun, plunging the entire army into relative darkness.

Men and horses began screaming as the form raised its right arm. Its hand began to glow a light blue color, and there was a small humming noise which gradually got louder…

Suddenly, blue light shot from the giant’s arm and slammed into the ground right in the middle of the army, instantly incinerating hundreds of men and causing the survivors to scatter, some of them severely burned.

“What the…” said Friedrich Augustin.

As the giant approached the legion, each footstep causing the earth to shake violently, Friedrich Augustin began to make out details of the behemoth. Its “skin” and “clothes” glinted under the afternoon sun, looking almost like metal. Its face looked remarkably human, but instead of two eyes it had one large rectangular opening covered with glass, through which he swore he saw the outlines of small human-sized figures darting in and out of sight. Smoke, both black and white, drifted upwards from small chimneys all over the back and “head” of the behemoth.

This was no giant, Friedrich Augustin thought, it was merely an automaton, constructed by men! And automatons could be destroyed…

Noticing how the arrows that his archers fired failed to pierce the giant’s skin, he instead turned to the artillerymen.

“Cannons!” he shouted at the artillerymen. “Aim for the creature’s legs and fire!”

“But sir, the archers—” began an officer.

“The old days of dragon-slaying knights are over!” shouted the Kaiser. “Fire on the beast and kill it!”

“Yes, sir.” The officer relayed the orders to his fellow artillerymen.

The giant noticed the cannons. It turned around and raised its arm again, the deadly hand once again glowing and humming blue…

Before the giant could attack again, all eight cannons blazed with the sound of thunder, and a second later eight iron projectiles pierced the “skin” of the giant, with iron flying in all directions and strange black liquid and sparks leaking from the holes.

The behemoth reeled, as if in pain, the light in its arm suddenly cutting off. It let out an inhuman shriek which shook Friedrich Augustin and every other soldier down to his spine. It attempted to move, but its legs were too damaged.

The Kaiser again looked to his artillerymen, who were desperately reloading. They had no time. Finally, they finished and fired again. The cannons boomed again, launching the projectiles at the behemoth again.

Before the cannonballs hit, the giant was enveloped in what appeared to be bright white light. When the light vanished, the giant had disappeared as well, the cannonballs flying straight through the empty air it once occupied. It had disappeared without a trace except for the huge depressions in the ground, the destroyed villages around it, the deaths and severe injuries of hundreds of Romans, and the huge smoking crater of scorched earth right in the center of the Fifth Legion. But even that evidence would be cleaned up as well, given enough time.

“What the blazes was that?” said the officer.

“I don’t know,” replied Friedrich Augustin, "I don't think we'll ever know."