• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Adventurers_CadetsRMSr.jpg

Adventurers & Cadets: Realm Decisions & Events

After reading some past comments on this forums, I came to an agreement with a lot of the forum goers here that the "Adventurers" aspect from "The Old Gods DLC" was a sorely missed opportunity. Other aspects include of course, the Cadet Branches. Though I was initially against this, after some time I realised the cool aspects of this. With that I present you this mini-mod; Adventurers & Cadets.

Requirements
- Crusader Kings II version 2.2.1.1

Recommended
- The Old Gods DLC
- The Republic DLC

Installation
  1. Download the mod from the link below
  2. Delete any existing version
  3. Extract the downloaded content to: ***My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
  4. Enjoy

Current Features
- You can now just pack everything up and go on an adventure.
- Have your revenge upon adventurers by doing a payback adventure conquest upon them.
- Establish Cadet Branches for you siblings. Beware, this causes them to be a different dynasty from you.
- As a republic, bribe everyone (1000 Gold) and establish a monarchy.
- With a new honorary title, you can now adopt a person of your choice.
- If you are old and sick of ruling (age 50+, content or infirm), you can now opt to abdicate and retire to a monastery.

Planned Features
- Whole load of events.
- Opinions and shit.
- Aesthetics.

Screenshots

- Coming Soon -

Downloads: View attachment AdventurersCadets005.zip (Beware: this is Alpha so expect plenty of things to just not work, use at own risk)

Changelogs

Version 0.0.5
- Updated for compatibility with Art of War
- Updated for compatibility with Way of Life (Beta)
- Temporary Adventurer Titles should disappear now once land is acquired

Older Versions
Version 0.0.4
- Updated for compatibility with Charlemagne
- Added a decision to end the adventure (also dissolves the Adventurer title)
- Corrected a bug where a decision led to an incorrect event
- Fixed localisation error

Version 0.0.3
- Children of the new Cadet branch should convert to the proper dynasty
- Adventurers should lose their Adventurer title after gaining land (still very iffy on this)
- An optional converter which makes slight improvement on Groogy's Pet Project

Version 0.0.2
- Adventurers can now declare war via decision to claim a land they are currently on
- Events when you are an adventurer
- Reduced the amount of CTD when you decide to go adventuring
- Kings and Emperors who go on adventures, now become independent rather than staying a vassal to your heir

Version 0.0.1
- Added an ability to go on an adventure
- Added an ability to establish a cadet branches for you siblings
- Added an ability to form a feudal monarchy as a republic
- Added a new honorary title for adoption
- Can now adopt a person that is not of your dynasty
- Once certain requirements are met, players can now choose to abdicate

Compatibility
As this mod does not change any core files, expect it to be compatible with almost any mod.

Credits

yclept for his Founder of the Republic.

Last edited:
It is. You don't actually need to own any DLCs to load up this mod, only certain decisions.

Does adoption give an "adopted" trait to the adopted person? A drop in relation with vassals perhaps?

Are the Cadet branches completely random? By random I mean their CoA and name, they won't be related to the original dynasty right?

Apart from these questions, this looks like a nice minimod that should help with roleplay. Thank you.

Sounds great, I've always wanted to be able to abdicate and go adventuring.

Does adoption give an "adopted" trait to the adopted person? A drop in relation with vassals perhaps?

Not in this version, but it is planned.

Are the Cadet branches completely random? By random I mean their CoA and name, they won't be related to the original dynasty right?

Yes, though they will most likely take it from their residing location. It would be nice if we could implement proper Cadet Coat of Arms, but I am not a scripter.

Apart from these questions, this looks like a nice minimod that should help with roleplay. Thank you.

Glad to hear you like it. :)

hi, would you mind if i borrow you the base code for the abdicate decision to combine it with the "Monastery decision" mod please ?

hi, would you mind if i borrow you the base code for the abdicate decision to combine it with the "Monastery decision" mod please ?

Go nuts.

This is an interesting initiative, with much potential.

I have noticed that the localisation for the narrative event is wrong. It says, e.g. "tired of ruling and aspiring of something greater, Kingdom of Hungary goes on adventure" when it should says, paraphasing again: "tired of ruling and aspiring of something greater, <name of the king of hungary> goes on adventure".

When I clicked on the option in said event my game freezed and I had to close it, I'll test again, in case it was conflicting with another mod I was running at the same time.

Also, a suggestion, it would be advisable to make the decision/event give you a title of your same rank. In my example, it would be advisable that my king of hungary receive a tribal kindom title, instead of a ducal one. And specially, counts should not "upgrade" their tier.

(Indeed, depending on what direction do you want to follow, it could be advisable to have the titular title of as lowest a tier as possible, so that the adventurer could swear fealty to as many characters as he can on the fly. It would be a nice mechanic that the adventurer could offer to fight others wars in exchange for gold and prestige (and maybe "buy" upgrades for his event troops with it in the form of modifiers and traits. God, I'm a bit excited with this).

Edit: tested again, this time with a polish pagan duke and all was fine. Then I tried with the doge of Venice and crashed, then with the sheikh of Lerida and it crashed again.

Edit2: Changing tribe = yes for temporary = yes solves all cransings for me. I'm doing some experimentation with these things. It seems that normally if as a landless character you hire mercenaries they are hired off-map, in ANY/ALL if you look at the toggleable list in the right side of the screen. However, when I tried the decision in corsica (or was it sardinia?) the mercenaries appeared in mmy former capital.

I also tried changing tier = duke for tier = baron. The result was that I got no flag, but only a black sqare, lost acces to the botton to customise title (the button disappeared) and I remained a vassal of my former title.

So, would you mind if I borrow part of your code for experimental purposes and my personal projects (my submod for AGOT and my contribution for Princes of Darknes and Birthright mods) in exchange of sharing any changes I make on my own? As I said, my purpose is to turn that landless title in a mercenary title of sorts, where you can participate in wars in exchange for money and prestige.

Last edited:
This is an interesting initiative, with much potential.

I have noticed that the localisation for the narrative event is wrong. It says, e.g. "tired of ruling and aspiring of something greater, Kingdom of Hungary goes on adventure" when it should says, paraphasing again: "tired of ruling and aspiring of something greater, <name of the king of hungary> goes on adventure".

My bad, looks like I used the incorrect dynamic localisation code. Will be fixed in the next update.

When I clicked on the option in said event my game freezed and I had to close it, I'll test again, in case it was conflicting with another mod I was running at the same time.

This is odd... This mod should be compatible with anything so long as it doesn't use the exact same namespace. Could be something wrong with the event code.

Also, a suggestion, it would be advisable to make the decision/event give you a title of your same rank. In my example, it would be advisable that my king of hungary receive a tribal kindom title, instead of a ducal one. And specially, counts should not "upgrade" their tier.

(Indeed, depending on what direction do you want to follow, it could be advisable to have the titular title of as lowest a tier as possible, so that the adventurer could swear fealty to as many characters as he can on the fly. It would be a nice mechanic that the adventurer could offer to fight others wars in exchange for gold and prestige (and maybe "buy" upgrades for his event troops with it in the form of modifiers and traits. God, I'm a bit excited with this).

It was originally like this, but I decided against it since I wanted the title to dissolve (which it doesn't :angry:) once you aquired a real title. However, reading your ideas, it could be interesting though I am not convinced... yet. (Your idea seems to make this game more of an adventure RPG than a dynasty-simulating Grand RTS)

Edit: tested again, this time with a polish pagan duke and all was fine. Then I tried with the doge of Venice and crashed, then with the sheikh of Lerida and it crashed again.

I haven't actually tested the feature outside of a standard Catholic monarch. Disappointing to hear that it failed with Republic and Muslim realms.

Edit2: Changing tribe = yes for temporary = yes solves all cransings for me. I'm doing some experimentation with these things. It seems that normally if as a landless character you hire mercenaries they are hired off-map, in ANY/ALL if you look at the toggleable list in the right side of the screen. However, when I tried the decision in corsica (or was it sardinia?) the mercenaries appeared in mmy former capital.

How did you manage that? When I used "temporary= yes", the title immediately dissolved after a few days. Would you mind sending the changes to me so that I can test it out myself?

I also tried changing tier = duke for tier = baron. The result was that I got no flag, but only a black sqare, lost acces to the botton to customise title (the button disappeared) and I remained a vassal of my former title.

Barons aren't supposed to be playable with very limited features. Paradox might be secretly punishing you for circumventing their above-Count rule. :D

So, would you mind if I borrow part of your code for experimental purposes and my personal projects (my submod for AGOT and my contribution for Princes of Darknes and Birthright mods) in exchange of sharing any changes I make on my own? As I said, my purpose is to turn that landless title in a mercenary title of sorts, where you can participate in wars in exchange for money and prestige.

You may use any of these codes as you see fit. While you work on your own mod, it would be of great help if you could help with this as well, that way we both may benefit. :)

It was originally like this, but I decided against it since I wanted the title to dissolve (which it doesn't :angry:) once you aquired a real title. However, reading your ideas, it could be interesting though I am not convinced... yet. (Your idea seems to make this game more of an adventure RPG than a dynasty-simulating Grand RTS)

Well, if you are for a dynasty building approach, then you don't want your character to be reduced to a single titular title that is dissolved upon death. I mean, wouldn't that mean the the heir of your character would inherit no title and thus have an instantaneous game over? Moreover, I suppose that one can enforce title dissolution with an on_new_holder on_action, which is a more versatile option

And yes, I actually see CK2 more as a RPG with strategy elements than the opposites, and approach modding with that focus.

How did you manage that? When I used "temporary= yes", the title immediately dissolved after a few days. Would you mind sending the changes to me so that I can test it out myself?

In truth you are totally correct: I needed to delete both the tribal and the temporary statements to make it able to last. By the way

Barons aren't supposed to be playable with very limited features. Paradox might be secretly punishing you for circumventing their above-Count rule. :D

Yeah, most likely it was the evil Groogy who did this, hehe.

You may use any of these codes as you see fit. While you work on your own mod, it would be of great help if you could help with this as well, that way we both may benefit. :)[/QUOTE]

Many thanks! So, what is the planned purpose of the adventurer feature in your vision? What I told the other day about acting as aa mercenary can be viewed as a means to encrease your event army, so that a war is actually possible. Very much like the almogavares in real history: they were catalan adventures/mercenearies at the service of the byzantine emperor, campaigning in Anatolia, before they saw their oportunity and launched an adventure war for the duchy of Athens.

I'll send you a link to my code, if you want, though at the moment, is basically your own mod without the reibal = yes statement, and less restrictive prerequisites. In any case, I need to fix: the new title should be able to change from open elective, which it actually is, and it shouldn't be created as vassal of your former title, if your former title was above duke, which actually it is too. I think that the latter can be achieved by also creating a temportary empire title. The former will need meddling with the succession laws requirements. Or perhaps are you fine with it staying as open elective?

Well, if you are for a dynasty building approach, then you don't want your character to be reduced to a single titular title that is dissolved upon death. I mean, wouldn't that mean the the heir of your character would inherit no title and thus have an instantaneous game over? Moreover, I suppose that one can enforce title dissolution with an on_new_holder on_action, which is a more versatile option

No, you wouldn't get a game over because you left a realm to a kin of yours (unless you're insane), so upon death and dissolution of the title, you will immediately play as him/her.

And yes, I actually see CK2 more as a RPG with strategy elements than the opposites, and approach modding with that focus.

Well, there is nothing wrong with that.

In truth you are totally correct: I needed to delete both the tribal and the temporary statements to make it able to last. By the way

I see... Originally, it started off as a simple landless temporary title, but it didn't last more than a few days so I removed the temporary part and replaced it with tribal and found that you actually got to do a lot more stuff. However, this did mean that I ended up running into trouble of not being able to dissolve the title. Another reason for not making separate tiers is that in my opinion, all adventurers are equal except in the number of men they may field in the form of personal retinues.

Yeah, most likely it was the evil Groogy who did this, hehe.

Grrrroooogggyyy!

Many thanks! So, what is the planned purpose of the adventurer feature in your vision? What I told the other day about acting as aa mercenary can be viewed as a means to encrease your event army, so that a war is actually possible. Very much like the almogavares in real history: they were catalan adventures/mercenearies at the service of the byzantine emperor, campaigning in Anatolia, before they saw their oportunity and launched an adventure war for the duchy of Athens.

You are absolutely welcome. :) As of my plan, it is essentially what The Old Gods brought us, and ability to go on an adventure, see a land of opportunities and then seize it. My original intent was somehow be able to just travel around the world where people may join you or not, and when you came upon a piece of land of your liking, you could declare war via decision and a chain of events. After changing my adventure title from "temporary" to "tribal" and reading what you have in mind, I must say I quite like the idea of becoming a mercenary band who goes on a adventure and trolling the medieval world for shits and giggles. However, I do see some problems with it mainly in the areas of ability to resume saves, being hired by literally anyone (since you'll be so cheap being small) and then getting suddenly killed half-way across the world without ever knowing you were hired.

I'll send you a link to my code, if you want, though at the moment, is basically your own mod without the reibal = yes statement, and less restrictive prerequisites. In any case, I need to fix: the new title should be able to change from open elective, which it actually is, and it shouldn't be created as vassal of your former title, if your former title was above duke, which actually it is too. I think that the latter can be achieved by also creating a temportary empire title. The former will need meddling with the succession laws requirements. Or perhaps are you fine with it staying as open elective?

I'll see if there are other solutions to this whole becoming a vassal debacle.

Oh, but didn't intend in making the title a mercenary company in the sense of vanilla! Rather, what I want to do is this: If a realm within a certain distance of the province you are in is at war, and one of the sides is rich enough, you can offer him by decision to join the war (he can accept or deny, based on opinions and traits). Then, for each battle and siege, or maybe for each amount of warscore, if that is possible, you "employer" must pay you a sum of money. If he decides not to pay you you can switch sides or abandon the war, and gain a "refund" casus belli against him.

Then, you have a set of decisions to hire additional troops or buy modifiers with troops boosts, representing better equipement and such.

The heir issue is a problem. If you only have a title under open elective, after death I'm almost sure that you will NOT continue playing as your dynastic heir, but as the random guy that is elected for your title. Or so I think judging from past asystematic experience. But at any rate my knowledge regarding title-related mechanics are too rudimentary to be certain

Very interesting Lumberking! What is the compatibility of your mods (are they cross-compatible, compatible with other major mods?).

Last edited:
I'm currently using it (but have not enacted the new decision), and is the prestige requirement the only condition to form a new cadet branch?

I'm currently using it (but have not enacted the new decision), and is the prestige requirement the only condition to form a new cadet branch?

Prestige plus the siblings have to be of your dynasty in your realm. For example, you cannot declare someone who is already a cadet branch a cadet again nor can you do so if they are independent lords like the Karlings and the Jimenas. This is all still working in progress of course.