• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Since I cannot reach the computer now, can smbdy remind - which of the councillors/сommanders are now of iconoclast heresy and which are Orthodox? since it would be an important topic around the time, as I remember. also, can a character change his religion as a decision?))
((The Court Chaplain, Steward, Chancellor, and both commanders are Iconoclast, while the Marshal and Spymaster are Orthodox.))

((May as well do an ic while we wait.))
After things had quieted down Kallistos decides to give an approximation of the army while eating a chicken leg.
*Munch* "We currently can field an army of 492 and can levy 680 from the vassals," *Crunch* "however, I believe that I can train an additional 155 men raising the total to 647."
He finishes the chicken leg and throws it into a nearby bin and reaches for another.
"That results in a total army of 1326 men, which would result in us being the currently 4th strongest vassal of the Emperor, behind the Doux of Trebizond, the Doux of Nikaea, and the Doux of Abkhazia. If we go to war with any of our direct neighbors we would have little trouble winning."

(( Seeing as it's close to the deadline, there's only two people left to pick characters, and the current one hasn't been on the forums since Sunday, and the last one has been quite active, might I suggest you allow @Andre Massena to register a conditional pick in case @KeksimusMaximus doesn't show? ))

((I'll have a pick in a little bit))

yMzHUUR.jpg

This fine lady I will try to marry. Of course, that means my first ambition will also be to get married. (Free piety anyone ? )

After being married, I will make my intentions clear that I wish to become the Mystikos at the Doux's court.(Become Mystikos Ambition)

uUTs2Ah.jpg

I am an intrigue based character, so my first focus (aside from getting laid to produce heirs) will be Seduction. I will be looking at women in my court and that of the Doux, and get ;)

CX12IHn.jpg

My character looked like an 80 year old bald man. Let us correct that and edit that scruffy coat of arms to something better.

JzHYJFE.jpg

My Magistros will start working in Korinthos to improve my relations with my liege, my Protostrator will be training troops, my Sakellarios be collecting taxes (both home), My Mystikos will do ******* (Not publicish information). My court Chaplain, while not visible here, will be improving culture tech in Achaia.

I will be saving up any money I can get, and take the money option for my wedding.

I, Gregorios Stamopatas, Count of Achaia ,must however move against a centralization of the Duchy. There is already plenty of power in Korinthos.

((Since you aren't the ruler, I can't do most of these things. If you wish to marry, you will need the permission of your ruler. Setting ambitions and/or focuses is not possible, however. If I had to do that for everyone, the tag switching would be insane.))

With the understanding that we may indeed launch wars against our fellow vassals of the Emperor, long may he reign, I suggest that my Chancellor heads to Athens instead of Constantinople, as it is my understanding that my family does indeed have claims on the region.

((Fabricate Claims in Athens. Take the duchy claim if possible, and press it if we outnumber them. If the county claim pops, accept it (all this assumes we have enough money) and then fabricate claims on other counties in the duchy of Athens.))

Furthermore, for both my son's marriage, and my own, we will be accepting a cash dowry. ((As in game, I must choose for us both, I believe.))

((Fabricate Claims in Athens. Take the duchy claim if possible, and press it if we outnumber them. If the county claim pops, accept it (all this assumes we have enough money) and then fabricate claims on other counties in the duchy of Athens.))

((I haven't played CKII in a super long time, but if memory serves, whether we get a duchy or county claim is entirely random, correct? I can't somehow instruct the Chancellor to only pursue the duchy claim?

Also, by "press the claim", I assume you mean DOW?))

((I haven't played CKII in a super long time, but if memory serves, whether we get a duchy or county claim is entirely random, correct? I can't somehow instruct the Chancellor to only pursue the duchy claim?

((To the first, yes, it is random, I was just saying what to do if we get duchy claim as opposed to county claim. As to the second, yes, DOW, if we outnumber their levies and have ~50 in treasury (need some spending money for levies), so it will take time between fabricate claim, and declaring war.))

((From the wiki:

"All successful claims have a fixed chance to be duchy claims based on the chancellor's diplomacy attribute (10% if the diplomacy attribute is between 15 and 17, 20% if between 18 and 19, and 30% if 20 or above). Rulers that already have a county claim for the target province will only receive duchy claims (note that the same rules for successful duchy claim creation still apply for this case)."

I'm not familiar with CKII either, but I believe our chancellor, Theodoulos, has a diplomacy score of 14? Would that mean that it's impossible for us to fabricate duchy claims at present?))

((From the wiki:

"All successful claims have a fixed chance to be duchy claims based on the chancellor's diplomacy attribute (10% if the diplomacy attribute is between 15 and 17, 20% if between 18 and 19, and 30% if 20 or above). Rulers that already have a county claim for the target province will only receive duchy claims (note that the same rules for successful duchy claim creation still apply for this case)."

I'm not familiar with CKII either, but I believe our chancellor, Theodoulos, has a diplomacy score of 14? Would that mean that it's impossible for us to fabricate duchy claims at present?))

((I wasn't too sure on the threshold for such an action, but I knew it was possible, so I made sure to account for it.

Since we can only get a county at a time, I'd rather fabricate multiple claims before pressing, unless council urges quick action, or something akin to that.))

It has missed my attention that one of my vassals desires marriage.

So be it. He shall be permitted to get married.

I give permission for Gregorios of Achaia to marry Aikaterine Amalfinos.

((Private - alxeu))

Laurentios, Mystikos of Achaia, appeared before Strategos Christophoros in his audience chamber, empty but for the two of them. He usually addressed his liege when no one else was present. The business they discussed was best left private.

My lord, I shall endeavour to ensure the loyalty of your subjects. If anyone questions your reign or plots against you, I shall find them. With the right words placed in the right ears, I can dissuade others from taking action against you. Nothing will occur within your duchy without your knowledge.

If, perhaps, you desire to take more direct action against your subjects, neighbours, or even liege, you have only to ask and I shall carry out your will. Perhaps others could even be encouraged to assist your efforts.

As always, I am here to serve.

Laurentios bowed to his liege and slipped into the shadows, disappearing without a trace as was his way.

((Hard to IC anything specific when I have no idea what my character will get up to, but can't resist the chance to be a shadowy spymaster. :p))

All right, with Andre Massena making his choice, that covers us for the original round of characters. Everyone should either have a character at this point or the 25 point bonus.

To the members of the council (@Michaelangelo, @Idhrendur, @Dohaeris, @DragonOfAtlantis, and @Marschalk): remember that you have a say in your particular sphere of events, as well as the disposition of your characters (in the sense of your role: Idhrendur, for example, could decide to collect taxes in a certain province, with the approval of the ruler). You should also be ready to decide events as they occur during the game, although @alxeu may overrule your decisions at any time. You must, however, weigh in on any decisions the ruler makes that addresses your particular sphere.

@alxeu: If you don't mind, I would like a single post with all of your decisions (or links to same) so I don't have to track down all of the posts. :) You can PM it to me if you prefer.

It was hard being the only woman at court.

True, there were washerwomen, servants, and kitchen-maids lurking about the palace. But Eupraxia was the only lady. It was very lonely.

Her father, Demetrios, served in the strategos' cataphractarii against the Arabs and the Bulgars and he gained a place at Christophoros' court at Acrocorinth due to his loyal service and prodigious skills. At Acrocorinth he met Eupraxia's mother, Euphrania. Unfortunately she died when Eupraxia was very young and it fell upon Demetrios to raise his young daughter. Demetrios was a big, clever man who was a master with a horse and lance. He had always guided her, protected her, and shown her the way. He promised he would arrange a suitable marriage, perhaps to a stratelate or patrikios.

But had died at the very end of the war against Khan Telets, a mere two years ago. Now she was completely alone. Now that she was a woman grown, Eupraxia could feel the lustful stares from her fellow courtiers. She knew they wanted her. Quite a few men at court had complemented her on her expressive, purple eyes and her long, straight black hair. Did they truly find her beautiful, or was there so little other options?

She would have to get married, and quickly. With no family or known kin, it would be up to her to arrange the match. Some would consider that improper, but so be it. She could not chance the stableboys taking her maidenhood in the middle of the night. These were dangerous times with Arabs and pagans threatening the frontiers and religious turmoil embroiling the Empire.

Eupraxia tidied her hair and doused herself some of the perfume her father left her. With no strategitissa, she was quite literally a lady-in-waiting. Until the strategos remarried and his son, Aniketos, found a bride, she had all the time in the world to herself. She took a deep breath and hoped she looked nice.

Now she would see what the men of Achaia had to offer...

You are right, my son, I shall change my plans.

The marriages shall be reversed.

I will marry the Frankish woman, and you, the Lombardian Princess.

It would do well to have a skilled consort for the rest of my life, but an alliance with Lombardy for both our lives.

As for my memory, yes, I did remember my daughter's marriage, though I forgot about the non-aggression pact with it.

For the council spot, I will grant you the title of "Designated Regent," should something happen to me, otherwise I'd prefer you as one of my commanders, which means I can not have you busy collecting taxes. Despite this, I shall still consult you as an unofficial Councillor, as your word is just as important, on or off the council.

((Why not betroth Aniketos to your granddaughter, Princess Anthousa? You can't ask for a better match than to a princess born in the purple and you get to uhh keep your bloodlines pure, so to speak.

Also I made an IRC channel for this game. /Join #DAR ))

Last edited:
The Man with No Name (I)

The Eternal City of Constantinople was disgusting that time of season. As he rode through the noisy streets, Theodoulos the Chancellor, the Magistros of Achaia, was steadily looking forward – and yet he kept noticing things. The faces of the many citizens were glum, the merchants peddling pomegranates, pears and fish at the market did not sing and joke with their customers as they usually did. Even near the race-tracks of the Hippodrome, where the supporters of the four chariot teams, the Blues, the Greens, the Reds and the Whites were usually drinking, brawling and debating, it was much more quiet than ever. It seemed that the imperial capital has drowned in the waters of suspicion, hatred and fear. And even if Theodoulos already did not know the reason, it would have been evident to him now.

As his small procession (three mounted men-at-arms, two mounted servants, several donkeys overlaid with bags) reached the great building of Hagios Sophia (all the members of the Achaian delegation made the sign of cross), they saw a group of monks and nuns being led by guardsmen in red cloaks, commanded by a fierce-looking official in a burgundy tunic. Some of them were crying, some praying – and some simply keeping silence, but the faces of all of them were swollen from beatings, some missed teeth, the others – even eyes. Several of these clerics were nursing broken arms, several using crutches and canes – and yet neither the soldiers not the bureaucrat in burgundy took any notice of that. One of the warriors took several images of Christs and saints from under his clothwa – and the official pointed at them, roaring at their prisoners. – Spit on them! Spit on them, you idolators! Then the Basileus would pardon you! There was a great commotion among the monks – and yet none of them did. One of them answered. – The Emperor is high, yet God and the laws of the Church higher! In the next moment the soldiers started whipping the monks and hitting them with the hilts of their swords and butts of their lances. The shrill cries of pain were loud – and yet Theodoulos could still hear the official barking. – Send these rebels to prison… and the sluts, the so-called nuns, would become wives to the brave warriors of our Emperor. A woman should serve God and Caesar by her womb, not by speaking about theology!

When the Achaean delegation left the street, Theodoulos heard some of his people muttering angrily. He himself felt pangs of uneasiness. Despite the fact that he never was quite religious and prayed as it was told by the authorities, the chancellor still remembered how his mother secretly blessed him with a icon of Holy Trinity when he was leaving for the army. It has been hidden inside his shield for several years – blessing him without anybody else knowing it.He still remembered how warm was the wood, when he kissed it respectfully– and how he sometimes prayed to it before large battles. This shield has been lost during the massacre of Rishki Pass, when a Bulgarian arrow pierced the shoulder of Theodoulos – and stopped his brief association with dangerous and prohibited iconodule sentiment. For both the previous Emperor, Leo the Issavrian, and the current, Constantine, saw it as a pagan practice – and prosecuted its supporters, destroying their monasteries and churches. What has previously been a honored tradition of the Eastern Church was now a crime. And Theodoulos partially was happy that he now had no ties to that tradition – or crime. It could ruin all his life design – and yet he still had doubts and felt guilt about this affair.

From his childhood Theodoulos was enamored with the life of the nobles, lords and patricians. He himself was not of high birth and did not even possess a family name. However his father was a priest and a secretary to a bishop, a man of bookish knowledge – and he has passed the same knowledge to his son. By the age of sixteen, the boy already read in Hebrew, Latin and Frankish dialect, was acquainted with the works of Cicero, the codex of Tribonianus and ancient classics. Bright and honest, he was liked by his tutors and peers – and many in a small private academy he attended were sorry when Theodoulos left for the army to fight in the Bulgarian wars of Emperor Constantine. He proved to be a brave soldier though and was liked by his commanders as well, one of them finally making him his aide. Then he moved on to civilian offices, serving in various judicial and administrative positions in Achaia until the Doux made him his Magistros. And Theodoulos was sure that by zealous and loyal service he would reach what he craved – move to nobility, leave a legacy for his children.

And even if it meant that he had to close his eyes when he saw some controversial things sometimes – so be it.

- Master Theodoulos! – a messenger in the colors of the Doux of Achaia suddenly appeared. His cloak was covered by specks of dust and his face was sweaty. Jumping to the ground, he bowed and gave Theodoulos a letter from his master. – It was hard to find you… Thedoulos smiled. – Well, our lord has sent me to parley with the Court of the Basileus – and it means I have to visit many important people and coax them… Then he opened the envelope – and bit his lip, considering something. – Well… It seems we would not stay here for long.

To Christophoros, Strategos (Duke) of Achaia ((alxeu - Private))

My lord,

I do hope that you and your family as well. Hearing of you orders, I would immediately leave for the borders ofAthenes to try to legitimize your rightful claim to the region. Having studied ancient papers within the libraries of Constantinople, I believe that your House has definite ancestral rights to it, through Codrus, one of the last Kings of Athenes, whose blood may flow in your veins. If you would order me so, I would also hold talk with various powerful people of this province who are not happy with the current rule and try to assure them that under your hand they would be much more prosperous.

Regarding Constantinople, I must inform you that the mood is rather gloomy in this most glorious of all cities. The actions of our august Emperor against the iconodules have made many of the nobles belonging to this line of hought hate him fiercely. Most vicious rumors are in the air and it is said that there are disturbances even in the family of the Basileus himself, for Irene, the wife to his heir, Lord Leo, is said to be a strong supporter of the veneration of icons. Nobody knows to what this division would lead in the future.

As your humble servant, I also ask you for one thing. Having spent most of my life in military or civilian offices, I could not find a family. It is my strong wish that you, kind Strategos, would help me to solicitor a wife of well means and good qualities, of a fine family whose name I may pass to my children. If your lordship graciously agreed to assist me here and act as my patron, I would forever be grateful.

Your loyal servant,
Theodoulos

((Ask to get married to some debutante or invited noblewoman of noble blood with good traits matrilinealy)

Last edited:
((I've been sure that we can't wage war on other vassals under medium CA, and I've checked it again. Gave Christophoros a claim on the duchy of Athens with the console, and tried to declare war - not possible. Also, if you hover over the description of limited CA, the tooltip says that vassals can wage war on each other again. So there might be another reason to confuse the poor magistros Theodoulos :rolleyes:.

Also, @Marschalk , if you are married to a noblewoman matrilineally, you would leave the court, so it might be a better idea to matri-marry an invited débutante without looking at traits.))

((In summary, given I can't press claims after all, keep to the plan of my original post for positions of Councillors, and my ambition and focus shall remain the same as well.

The marriages mentioned will be changed. My son will be married to the Lombardian princess I mentioned in my original plan. He will also be Designated Regent, as well as made Commander of Achaia.

I will be married to the Frankish noblewoman I mentioned.

Money is to be stored up, for now. After a year or so, I'll probably start spending it on upgrades for my holding.

Any marriages requested by members of duchy shall henceforth be approved, unless the spouse resides in my court, in which case, I will consider it first.

I will continue to request centralization, as it will be necessary for me to have a large enough demense (taken from my fellow vassals, not my own vassals, mind you) to actually field a reasonably-sized army in the field.

For the marriage events, keep the money. It's more important than the prestige. Prestige is rather easy to accrue.

With that in mind, if there are still any gray areas, I'm open to a PM conversation.

Edit: Here is original plans:

((If I recall correctly, under Medium Crown Authority, I can't invade my fellow vassals, so...))

In the first year of my glorious reign, we shall focus on development and outside opportunities.

First off, any Councillor spots currently held by someone shall be left alone for now ((Wouldn't be nice to instantly deprive someone of a Council position)), unless they are grossly incompetent ((i.e. much lower in stat than possible replacements)).

Secondly, on the first day of the year, these are my decrees:

WsxGMUB.jpg

My Councillors are ordered to do the following jobs, noting that my Magistros is the only one leaving the capital.

fuIeIxg.jpg

Envoys are to be send to propose my marriage to this Lombardian princess. An alliance is to be created once the marriage is accepted, if possible.

hXvqRZv.jpg

My son is to be married to this Frankish woman, who is very skilled.

K2M2Ia1.jpg

I, meanwhile, shall focus on getting married, and on hunting, two completely unrelated ventures.

As for general business throughout the year:

I noticed that I have a limit for the amount of vassals I may have, but an extremely low limit for amount of lands I may personally administrate. If the Emperor was to grant me new lands, I would hardly be able to rule them.

Therefore, I request a centralization of the duchy.

As for the rest of the year, noting my (hopeful) alliance with Lombardy, I shall create a faction in the Byzantine Court to reduce Crown Authority, noting that even though it would reduce my own authority, I will still be able to gain lands within the empire for ourselves, though we won't be telling the Emperor that, now will we?

Otherwise, stockpiled money is to be kept over 50 gold whenever possible, and if my holding can be improved while keeping 50 gold in the treasury, do so.

That is all.
))

Last edited:
((Could you link the original post in this one?

Which councillors have yet to weigh on in their respective plans?))

((Could you link the original post in this one?

Which councillors have yet to weigh on in their respective plans?))

((Just did it. Check my post again!))