• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One thing I liked upon reading this AAR is that it's like some prequel to Lion in Winter or something, bickering brothers, a dotting mother, court intrigue, consider me subbed! I'm looking forward to see if the d'Anjous might become Kings of Jerusalem, or if God wills it, follow in their cadet branch's destiny and become Kings of England!

Blessings upon the rightful Duke of Anjou!

Now let's see if he can keep it...

That is the rub. There aren't too many claimants right now, though that will change in time. And Foulques still lacks children, and has a wife who is now 40 in-game...

A very good dream sequence. It took me a moment to work out what was going on. Very well written indeed.

And now success. What will Foulques do Now, one wonders.

Thanks. Dream sequences can be hard so I'm glad this one played well.

Next up... Foulques looks for opportunity. Though he has named one target a few times. It's just a matter of his chancellor getting what he needs to secure it (and a bit of council wrangling).

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it so far!

So Geoffroy fled eastwards... the HRE or Poland (this county's CoA is not the most memorable one :p), so as long as the French crown is secure, Foulques shouldn't fear him too much.

Yes, Geoffrey's official whereabouts will be mentioned in the next update. And while he doesn't need to fear him too much... he remains a lingering threat that could strike if Foulques makes some mis-steps.

One thing I liked upon reading this AAR is that it's like some prequel to Lion in Winter or something, bickering brothers, a dotting mother, court intrigue, consider me subbed! I'm looking forward to see if the d'Anjous might become Kings of Jerusalem, or if God wills it, follow in their cadet branch's destiny and become Kings of England!

Thanks, and I'm glad you've like what's come to this point. I've never actually had a character become the King of Jerusalem in CK2... so that would be something new for me. And I'm always looking at England for an opportunity to find a claim. But it's become a touch more complex there for now, I think, thanks to events which will be revealed later.

Next chapter should be up in a bit.

Reactions:
Chapter 9 - October 1067
Before Plantagenet -Chapter 9

October 1067 - Anjou, France

Foulques shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

It was still taking him some time to get used to it. He had been conducting business from there in the main hall over the past few weeks, but it still bothered him as he sat in it for long periods of time. Beatritz had suggested he just needed more time in it, but Foulques wasn’t so sure. Perhaps he would pay to have a new one crafted.

In the meantime, it was time for more business.

“Who is the next one?” Foulques asked Mayor Guilhem.

“Geoffrey’s court physician,” the mayor said. “A woman by the name of Adalmode. A nun, who your brother coaxed from a convent to serve him.”

The new duke had recently sorted his council, with some assistance privately from Beatritz, who had made the suggestions on who should remain and who should be removed.

The only two changes she had made was to marshal - she suggested the Baron de Cholet as he was both capable, and had more status than Leon or Amaury. She also suggested Ebbon, the Bishop of Fontevraud, as Court Chaplain since, as she put it, Beranger could read, but he was hardly a man of learning.

Anjou_council_1.jpg

Anjou_Council_2.jpg

The entire council was present as Foulques held court in these early days, though they were remaining silent on most matters. For the most part, the new duke was merely meeting with people across duchy while also sorting disputes that had been left unresolved as a result of the war. This next situation was a case of the former, rather than the latter.

There was no court physician to compete with this Adalmode, but Foulques felt he needed to at least go through the show of having this woman presented to him before agreeing to keep her in court.

“Step forward, Adalmode,” Foulques said. A thin, woman who appeared to be around 40 years, wearing a headdress walked toward him. Yet despite her frame, there was no weakness or frailty in her steps.

“My lord,” she said as she knelt before Foulques.

“Tell me,” Foulques began, “you served my brother. Do you still serve him? Or will you serve a new master?”

Adalmode raised her head, pinning the duke with her gaze. “I serve only God. And I do so by healing his children. I did so for your brother. I may do so for you. If that is not enough, then I will return to the convent and help the girls there. It makes no difference to me.”

Foulques looked toward Beatritz, seated in a smaller chair next to him. He whispered: “Your thoughts?”

Beatritz looked the woman over. “We have need for a physician do we not? Poor Bernard may still be with us had we found someone earlier. And I have not heard a bad word spoken of her yet.”

Foulques nodded. “Very well Adalmode. We will be happy to have you remain with us. Arise.”

Adalmode did as she was instructed. “Thank you my lord.”

She left and another man approached. Beatritz leaned in.

“Mayor Renaud of Saumur,” she whispered.

“Ah, and you say he bears me no ill-will for the sacking?” he responded.

“If may a little, but he is the one I told you about,” Beatritz said. “The one who seeks status.”

Foulques gave a slight nod. His wife had told him Renaud had dreamed of a spot on the council, and was angry to be left off. Thankfully, she believed he was a man who wished to be seen with those of the noble class - friendship with the duke would soothe his frayed feelings.

“You requested to see me, my lord,” Renaud said as he knelt before Foulques.

“Yes,” Foulques said. “I have had most of Geoffrey’s former men come to pledge themselves to me. Yet you have been absent. Why?”

Renaud did not raise his head. “I have been seeing to the town of Saumur, my lord. You may remember, it was recently sacked. The people are rebuilding.”

“So you harbor ill-will toward me for the sacking?” Foulques asked.

“I understand it is the way of things in war,” Renaud said. “You merely asked why I have not come to Angers. That is the long and short of it, my lord.”

“You are here now then,” Foulques said. “What say you? Do you pledge your loyalty to your new duke?”

Renaud still did not look toward Foulques. “I am always a loyal subject of the duke of Anjou.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze as he tightly gripped the rests of his chair. This Renaud was beginning to test his patience.

The duke felt a soft touch on his hand. A glance to his right revealed Beatritz with a calm expression. She mouthed “offer your hand.”

Foulques closed his eyes, took a breath and stood up from his chair. His heavy sword clanged against the wood as he rose. That managed to draw Renaud’s gaze up and the duke believed he saw the hint of fear in the mayor’s eyes.

“Arise, Renaud, mayor of Saumur,” Foulques commanded.

Renaud’s eyebrows rose and he remained motionless for a time, seemingly scanning the hall for some hint as to what was happening. Eventually, he pushed himself upright, finding himself looking up at Foulques. The duke had descended the few stairs separating him, but still stood over him.

That’s when the duke grasped hold of Renaud’s arm.

The mayor flinched but Foulques pulled him close.

“Difficult as it must be to face me after the sack of Saumur,” Foulques said, “you did so. You are a brave man, Renaud, and a fine mayor to your people. I am happy to accept your service.”

“I… thank you my lord,” Renaud said.

“You appear to be well-built,” Foulques said. “Have you seen battle?”

“Leading local men in dealing with bandits and thieves, my lord,” Renaud said. “It has been some time though.”

“Then you may be out of practice,” Foulques said. “No matter, I would have you train alongside me, if you would allow it.”

“Train… alongside you, my lord?” Renaud asked.

“You have not lost your hearing in battle, have you?” Foulques asked. He gave a light tap to Renaud’s arm. “Yes, I would like you train beside me. What say you?”

“I… I would be honored my lord,” Renaud said.

“Good, I will not keep you from your duties in Saumur for too long, but I should hope to see you once a fortnight?” Foulques asked. “If it would be not much trouble.”

Renaud shook his head. “Of course not my lord. Thank you my lord.”

The mayor still seemed to be in stupor as he walked off. Foulques gave a slight shake of his own head as he returned to his chair.

“He is yours,” Beatritz whispered.

“We shall see,” Foulques whispered back. Then he raised his voice to normal: “Is there any other business?”

“A letter,” the steward said. “A request from William, Count of Eu. Bishop Ebbon holds it.”

“Probably wishes to negotiate the return of his niece,” Foulques said. “Read the letter.”

Bishop Ebbon began: “Dearest Duke Foulques, please accept my congratulations on your ascendence to the chair of the duchy of Anjou. I have no doubt a man of your talents will do well in the role.”

“He wants something,” Foulques said. “Let’s hear it.”

“There is the matter of my niece, Lithuaise. She is married to your brother, but is now in your custody. I would ask for your kindness, and release her so she may serve in your court.”

“What?” Beatritz asked.

“Bishop, do you read it correctly?” Foulques asked.

“I do my lord,” the bishop said. “He asks for her to be released from the arrest, but he wishes for her to serve. He believes her to be a worthy lady for the duchess, whom does not have any woman of high birth in her retinue.”

“He presumes much,” Beatritz said. “Why does he not seek an annulment?”

“He may not be able to,” the steward said. “He ignored an excommunication to marry her to Geoffrey.”

“And he does not wish her sent to her husband?” Beatritz asked.

“Her husband is displaced, disgraced and hiding in Bourgogne,” chancellor Guillaume said. “He likely sees no value in it.”

“So he has a niece he cannot marry to another,” Foulques said. “He hopes this arrangement benefits him more.” He chuckled. “And why should I placate a man who serves another liege, and gave aid to my brother?”

“Agreed, my lord,” Beatritz said.

Mayor Guilhem leaned in. “My lord. Perhaps it would be wise to adjourn temporarily for a private session of the council? This matter, I believe warrants further consideration.”

Foulques gave a small sigh but nodded.

These meetings were what he disliked about ruling - he hated it as a count and things were likely to be even worse now that he ruled the duchy.

He had half a mind to send Beatritz in his place, but thought better of it. While she certainly had more of a taste for such matters, he would not have his reputation sullied by having people think his wife ruled in his stead.

She frowned as he left her to join the rest of his council, away from the hall, but that would be the extent of her protests. She certainly would not make a scene in public, and likely would keep it muted in private.

Once they were in the war room, complete with a large table with a map of France strewn across it, Foulques demanded to know why Mayor Guilhem had asked for the meeting.

“I believe you should strongly consider accepting the count’s request,” the steward said.

“Give into a Norman?” Guillaume asked. “I think that is unwise.”

“The lord may stand to benefit,” the steward said.

“How so?” Foulques asked.

“Her family, whether we like it or not, is powerful,” the steward said.

“Her immediate family is not,” Guillaume interjected.

“Her extended family is,” the mayor continued. “This gives us a connection, which might be useful later, but not one that is official and binds us. And the count may be willing to repay your generosity later.”

“A lot of questions in that,” Guillaume argued.

“And your objections?” Foulques asked.

“She is a Norman whom we know little about, beside that she is married to your brother,” Guillaume said. “Nothing about those facts make her suitable to remain here, and by so close to your family, my lord.”

Foulques stroked his goatee. “Do any of the rest of you have an opinion?”

“Should… matters not turn out well with the Duchess and your attempts to have a son,” Adrien, the spymaster said. “The girl is still young and might make for a suitable wife. Or mistress…”

Foulques lowered his head. He suspected Beatritz’s eagerness to send the girl along was due to exactly what the steward said. But the steward made good points.

“You now plot against the duchess?” Guillaume demanded of Adrien.

“I merely state facts,” Adrien said. “Our lord likely wishes for a son. And should the duchess not provide one…”

“He is bound by God to remain by her side,” Guillaume said. “Lack of children is not grounds for annulment. Is that not right Bishop Ebbon?”

Bishop Ebbon nodded.

“That is not my concern at this moment,” Foulques said. He turned to the Baron de Cholet. “What do you think of the girl?

“I have concerns,” he responded. “Of her ties to your brother. She may work for his ends, as he is not far. Even if he is not in the realm, he resides on its border.”

“To what ends?” the steward said. “Geoffrey no doubt moves against you, but she cannot have any love lost for a man who abandoned her to her fate. Even her uncle - you would merely discuss with her how her family does not wish her to return to his court. If she believes this court to be the only place she may call home, she should treat it as such.”

“I will watch her like a hawk,” Adrien added.

The duke looked at de Cholet once more. “Does that allay your concerns?”

“Enough,” the baron said. “Enough that I do not have a strong objection.”

Foulques looked toward Bishop Ebbon. “And you?”

“I believe mercy is the proper choice,” the bishop said. “I would also send her to be with her husband, but I suspect that is not a true option.”

“Correct,” Foulques said. “She has some value. I will not hand that over to Geoffrey, or her uncle, out of kindness.”

The duke sighed. “I have made my decision. Let us return to the hall.”

Foulques led the others back to the main hall, though he stopped short of entering, allowing the council members to do so first and position themselves. Then the duke followed and took his seat in his uncomfortable chair.

“Upon deliberation, I have decided to release the girl,” Foulques said. “Lithuaise shall remain in our court, and as the count suggests, she shall be one of the duchess’ ladies.”

“What?” Beatritz said. “But you said…”

“I have thought better of it,” Foulques said. “She will be one of your ladies though you are free to give her a role among them as you see fit. Treat her with the respect befitting of someone of noble birth.”

Beatritz’s pale complexion reddened and Foulques could see her lips tremble. She was not the bravest of women but he wondered if perhaps this would prompt stronger resistance.

“As you wish, my lord,” she said after a moment. “I shall welcome her among my ladies. I am sure she is well-versed on some of proper etiquette my lower-born ladies lack.”

Foulques nodded. He suspected she would protest in private to him, but that was something he could handle.

A few minutes later Lithuaise was brought forth before the duke and duchess. She was mostly well-kept - despite being in their custody she was kept under house arrest, rather than the dungeon.

“My lady, your uncle has pleaded for your release,” Foulques said. “I feel generous enough to grant it.”

Lithuaise looked up with some relief as a small smile formed on her lips. “Thank you my lord. You are most generous. Then I am to return to Eu?”

“You will not,” Foulques said. “As you are still my brother's wife, your uncle requests you remain in this court and serve the Duchess as one of her ladies.”

Lithuaise’s mouth hung open. Shaking her head she muttered: “My father would not. He would request to my uncle would have me return to Eu or request I join my husband.”

“Your husband hides in Bourgogne,” Foulques said. “Perhaps your family has no use for a son who cowers. And you are married and thus cannot marry again. If you would like to see what he has written…”

Ebbon offered her the letter. Lithuaise gave a slight shake of the head. Foulques doubted she could read.

“If you wish to leave, I will not stop you,” Foulques said. “You are free to find your place elsewhere.”

He could see her eyes widen and her hands tremble. He knew she could not go. A stronger woman might have taken her chances. But she was not.

“I… again am thankful for your generosity, my lord,” Lithuaise said. “I will happily serve the duchess in any form she sees fit.”

“Be warned, “ Foulques said, “the duchess expects the highest of standards.”

He gave Beatritz a sly smile. Her only response was a glare, first at Foulques and then at her new lady.

“Come girl,” Beatritz said, “the others should meet you. We can then go over… your duties.”

Her head drooped, no doubt sensing the duchess’ discontent. But Lithuaise obeyed, following Beatritz out of the hall.

“That may be trouble, my lord,” the steward said.

“She is fortunate the duchess is not cruel,” Foulques said. “But we shall see what comes of it.”

“Aye, my lord. We shall.”

Duchess_Beatritz.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Mmm, that could go either way I think. His wife may well have ways of making her feelings plain, and exacting punishments.

41 and no children? time to get a new wife...

Beatritz is such a lovely woman, being both slothful and gluttonous. I am sure this council will cause less trouble than the previous chancellor, wherever he may hide...

Ah, Geoffroy is in Bourgogne. Would the county not be in another duchy than Robert's (and in another realm), I am sure it would cause quite a lot of trouble.

Mmm, that could go either way I think. His wife may well have ways of making her feelings plain, and exacting punishments.

I've thought plenty as I wrote the update (and since writing it) how Beatritz would handle it based on her traits. I am leaning toward her being rather passive aggressive, especially to Foulques, since she would be hesitant to confront him directly. That can manifest itself in a number of ways though.

Foulques may be wise to remember, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" ;)

That would be wise, since as Foulques grows in stature, he becomes a larger target.

41 and no children? time to get a new wife...

Ah, but easier said than done. Foulques still has dreams of going beyond his duchy. And Beatritz does deliver one of the most powerful men in the realm as an ally. However, at some point, he needs some children. And Foulques knows that. Beatritz does as well.

Beatritz is such a lovely woman, being both slothful and gluttonous. I am sure this council will cause less trouble than the previous chancellor, wherever he may hide...

Ah, Geoffroy is in Bourgogne. Would the county not be in another duchy than Robert's (and in another realm), I am sure it would cause quite a lot of trouble.

Poor Beatritz! It seems as though she is not the most popular. It's always funny seeing those trait on a character who looks thin in their portrait, since in my mind that would indicate they would be on the portly side (I mean, a lazy noble who stuffs their face any chance they get), so despite Beatritz looking thin in her portrait, I imagine her being heavy-set due to her habits. (Similar with Guillaume de Guines and Foulques' sister Hildegarde) In any case, I plan an update in the near future that features things from Beatritz's point of view that gives some insight into her thoughts.

The council remains problematic (doesn't it always?) - but the next update will show why you are correct that they will cause less trouble, for the time being anyway.

It is in the HRE - literally the county next to Robert's though. So Geoffrey is close, yet beyond Foulques reach. Likewise, Geoffrey is not popular inside Anjou, so he is limited in what he can do as well. But if either brother slips up...

A note: I have played up through 1080 and I don't want to reveal too much. (I'd love to play more, but I don't want to get too far ahead and lose focus of the events early on) I do try to make sure decisions and scenes have some meaning, though in some cases they are less of foreshadowing for a big event and more of "another brick in the wall" for a character's actions, personality change or attitude toward Foulques in the future.

I plan to have the next update up late tomorrow, though since it's finished it's always tempting to post it sooner. If I get done with the update after that, I may.

Thanks, as always, for the comments! They are much appreciated and add to the fun of writing this.

Reactions:
then,,, even if she gets a little upset... time for a mistress and a legitimized bastard

Reactions:
then,,, even if she gets a little upset... time for a mistress and a legitimized bastard

All I'll say is: that idea could play well in Anjou in the coming years. ;)

Reactions:
Fantastic AAR so far! You really bring personality to these characters. Subbed.
Thanks! That's my aim and I hope I can keep them interesting.

Next update will be posted momentarily. Really wish I'd taken more screenshots in the first few years. I took some later of the characters that pop up in this chapter and the next one, but those screenshots would contain spoilers. So, you'll just have to take my word for their character descriptions for now.

Reactions:
Chapter 10 - November 1067
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 10

November 1067 - Anjou, France

Foulques kept his eyes on the map laid out on the large table before him.

His eyes kept drifting toward Maine, the county which he desired most. A battle with William the Bastard was what he dreamed about in his most fanciful moments - a chance to prove his mettle against a man who had developed quite the reputation as a leader and conqueror.

And yet, while that increase in William’s reputation increased the duke’s desire to test himself against him, they also made such a test impossible.

With William in control of England, how could Foulques stand a chance against his forces? Even if Foulques won a battle, or two, he could not win the war. Not with the troops on hand. Not with the gold on hand. Perhaps if there was a revolt?

“You wished to see me, my lord?”

Foulques looked up to see the familiar face of the Baron de Cholet in the war room. The duke smiled.

“Ah, hello my friend,” Foulques said. He walked over to a metal pitcher. “Care for some wine?”

“Aye,” the baron said. Foulques poured him the cup and then raised his toward his vassal. The baron sipped it then raised an eyebrow.

“It’s from the south,” Foulques said. “A gift from my brother in law.”

“It is different,” the baron said. “But pleasant enough.”

“Yes,” Foulques said. “Now then, to business. I wished to talk to you before this council meeting. Your stance on my title revocation law.”

The baron took another drink. “If I may speak freely, my lord.”

“You may.”

“As a vassal who… may have land revoked, I am not keen on it.”

Foulques nodded. “I suppose I understand such a concern. But know I would not turn on you, my lord, unless you gave me cause.”

“I… believe you my lord,” the baron said. “But only because I believe you look for prey larger than Cholet.”

Foulques swirled the wine in his cup, while giving the baron a sly smile. “I have not my claim yet. But I think I shall, soon enough.”

“And you need this to legally revoke it from the boy,” the baron said. Foulques gave him a nod. “I still have to give pause, my lord.”

“Aye,” Foulques said. “But… I would ask of you to set aside your reservations, and vote alongside myself and Mayor Guilhem.”

“You have the mayor’s support?”

“I do,” Foulques said. “He has agreed to back me on council matters for a time - something we had worked out when I was a mere count. As I did once, for you.”

The baron chuckled. “I wondered when you would ask that favor returned.” He sighed. “My word is good, my lord. You shall have my vote.”

“Thank you, my friend,” Foulques said. “I do expect some… grumbling from the council. But they will not be able to stop it, with your support.”

An hour later, Foulques proved to be right. There were voices of discontent, specifically from Guillaume and Bishop Ebbon. Guillaume warned of how naked Foulques’ intentions were, and how the regents for the young Count Bouchard would see the act of aggression coming.

“Yes,” Foulques said. “But he is a boy. He can do little. Once you have gotten me the claim, and our troops have recovered sufficiently from the war with Geoffrey, Vendome will be ours.”

“Does it speak well of us to do such things to loyal vassals?” Bishop Ebbon asked. “Geoffrey was a different matter - he had violated the will of the church, and you had rights to Anjou. But the boy has done you no wrong.”

Foulques nodded. “You are right. He has done me no wrong. But I have a larger goal in mind. Vendome is a necessary step.”

“I do not like such things,” Ebbon said.

“In this case, you do not have to,” Foulques said. “I have the votes I need from the Baron de Cholet and Mayor Guilhem.”

“Then the matter has been resolved,” the steward said. “The council approves the right of the Duke of Anjou to revoke territory if the vassal has violated his oath, or the lord has a claim on the county.”

Guillaume sighed. “This may make my job more difficult, my lord.”

“I have faith you shall succeed despite such difficulties,” Foulques said.

There was a knock on the door to the war room. Louis peeked his head in.

“Forgive the interruption my lord,” he said. “Lady Hildegarde has arrived.”

“Then business is concluded for the day,” Foulques said. “Where is the duchess?”

“She is being informed so she may meet you in the main hall,” Louis said.

“Then let us not dawdle,” Foulques said.

The duke was expecting Hildegarde and her daughter Vainmonde on their way through to Burgundy. His sister was newly widowed - her husband Joscelin de Courtenay having passed over a month back. He had hoped to convince her to remain in Anjou, but his sister was stubborn in her plans.

The short, stocky woman trudged into the main hall of the keep, still wearing her hood. The young girl was by her side, along with a another woman. When they finally reached the duke and duchess, she lowered the hood, revealing her long red hair and stern expression.

“Hello sister,” Foulques said. “I hope the journey has treated you well.”

“No rain, so well enough,” she said. Hildegarde smiled and bowed before Beatritz. “Congratulations on your new title, my lady. Anjou has never had a more beautiful duchess.”

“You are as kind as you are lovely, sister,” Beatritz said. “And I am very grateful to meet you Vainmonde. I did not get to see you at the wedding.”

The young girl, who was just six, looked at the duchess nervously. She remained clutching the third woman’s hand. Foulques guessed it was her governess.

“Wife, may you show Vainmonde how a duchess lives?” Foulques asked. “I’m sure she would be quite interested. After all, she may be fortunate enough to be one herself one day.”

Beatritz nodded. While Vainmonde was hesitant to follow, a push from her mother got her moving, though she continued to hold the other woman’s hand.

“Who is that?” Foulques asked.

“Alix,” Hildegarde said. “She has a stern hand but will do until I choose a proper teacher for Vainmonde.”

Foulques nodded before showing his sister toward a hallway. Now alone, they walked through the keep, Hildegarde taking stock of their surroundings.

“When was the last time I was here?” she wondered aloud. “Was it Geoffrey’s first wedding?”

“Too long, sister,” Foulques said. “I was hoping you would consider staying longer.”

Hildegarde shook her head. “No. We should make quickly for Burgundy before the weather turns sour. If we dawdle here, that will surely happen.”

“Is there a great rush?” Foulques asked.

“Mother and Duke Robert aim to find me a new husband,” she said. “Time is of the essence in these matters. I am over 30 summers. Soon, I may be considered too old.”

“You concern yourself too much with such matters,” Foulques said.

Hildegarde glared at him, hands on her wide hips. “Yes, I am certain you are not the least bit concerned over your wife’s lack of children. And surely, you have said nothing to her, or others, about it.”

Foulques’ gaze drifted away from his sister. “She is a bit older than you.”

Hildegarde continued on. Foulques followed, though they remained in silence for a time. She seemed reticent to chat.

“If I may inquire,” he spoke up, “what befell Joscelin?”

Hildegarde sighed. “I do not know. My poor husband complained to me he had felt tired in the late summer. Then, one morning, he did not rise at all. When the physician saw him, he said his soul had already left his body.”

Joscelin_de_Courtenay.jpg

“And they could discern nothing?”

“None that I was privy to,” Hildegarde said. “I suppose it matters not.”

“If it were foul play,” Foulques said.

“I do not suspect it,” Hildegarde said. “He did not suddenly fall violently ill. He merely… did not wake.”

“I am sorry for your loss,” Foulques said.

Hildegarde responded with a grunt and continued on. Finally they reached a set of ramparts, overlooking the Maine, which flowed into the Loire a little further downstream. Hildegarde leaned out, seeming to take in the view.

“Lovely,” she said.

“Yes, one of the strong points of my new home,” Foulques said. “Which, you congratulate my wife on attaining, yet nothing of me, who actually attained it.”

Hildegarde turned to him. “Oh forgive me. I was planning on waiting until I was able to give my condolences to Geoffrey, who lost it.”

Fouqlues did not respond.

“I offered my congratulations on the duchess for her new title,” Hildegarde said. “She did not do anything ill to obtain it. You wish for a pat on the head for stealing from your own blood.”

The duke narrowed his gaze. “I did not steal. I should have you know, I could have. My advisors wished for me to plot his murder. I refused.”

Hildegarde shook her head. “You wish commendation for not stooping as low as to be a kinslayer?”

Foulques slammed his fist onto one of the stones on the rampart. “I took what he could not defend. I shall not have you judge me.”

“I shall judge you as I wish,” Hildegarde said. “You may not want to hear it. But then you should not have asked my opinion.”

“I did not expect my sister to think ill of me,” Foulques said.

“What would you expect Geoffrey’s sister to say?” Hildegarde asked. “Because I am his sister as well.”

“I did not expect you to favor him,” Foulques said.

“I favor no one,” Hildegarde said. “I care for both of you. And that is why it angers me you would turn on your own blood for a title.”

“A title he could not defend,” Foulques said. “It was my duty to defend the duchy.”

“Yes, from your wicked, excommunicated brother,” she said. “I heard of your reasons. I do not believe them for a moment. Lie to others Foulques, but do not lie to your sister and expect her to accept it.”

Foulques took a deep breath. “What would you like me to say?”

“The truth,” Hildegarde said.

Foulques did not face Hildegarde, and took a few steps away from her. “I did it because we need to reclaim the lands lost. We would never do it under Geoffrey.”

Hildegarde nodded. “Thank you.”

Foulques turned back to her. “Is that enough to reclaim your favor?”

“You have never lost my favor nor care,” Hildegarde said. “I do not approve of what you have done. I will never approve of what you have done. But why does that matter if I still wish the best for you and your family? Do you feel as though you have done him wrong?”

“No. I did what was necessary.”

“Do you seek to convince me brother?” Hildegarde asked. “I am not so sure.”

“Did you speak to your husband in such a manner?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Hildegarde said. “But you are not my husband. You are my brother - the same brother I slapped on the hand years ago for stealing treats before supper. I’ll not slap you now, but I will tell you my thoughts when you ask for them.”

“Then I will not ask for them any further,” Foulques said.

“That is your decision,” Hildegarde said. “Now, I will ask you - do you think ill of me, for my opinion?”

“I think you lack understandings of these matters,” Foulques said.

“Mmhmm,” Hildegarde said. She sighed. “Do you wish more of me brother? I do appreciate you opening your home to me and my Vainmonde, but I am tired from the day’s travel.”

“Of course sister,” Foulques said. “Let us return to the main hall.”

That evening Foulques stood alone in the war room, goblet of wine in hand. His eyes lingered on Vendome.

The boy has done nothing.

His eyes drifted toward. Maine. He wanted it. It belonged to Anjou. It had been stolen from his family’s demesne. Yet… it was beyond his reach.

Geoffrey was different. There was reason there.

His gaze slid to the east. Nantes, perhaps? The petty king of Bretons did not pay homage to any liege but did not command numbers like William could in England. And Foulques’ family had once held influence in the region...

I’ve betrayed blood. Am I truly different than Robert the kinslayer?

But they could still command numbers beyond what Foulques could muster. Unless he secured Vendome. With all three counties, in time, he could challenge the Bretons.

It is the way of things. It is my nature. The nature of all great men. Did Alexander ask permission to march across Asia? Did Caesar when he conquered these very lands a millenia ago?

It all started at home. Anjou must be his in its entirety. From there… new roads would lay open to him.

She will never understand. Neither will they. That is why they are where they are. And why I will be more. So much more.

Foulques finished his wine in a gulp and slammed the goblet down. He knew his path.

And that path took him next to Vendome.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
He is thinking rather big for his boots.

And a few home truths for Foulques. His self-deceit may yet, I think, be his undoing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques is starting to travel down a dark path. Geoffrey at least was excusable, so long as Foulques had the explicit sanction of the Church; trumping up false claims against a child, however... Even if he gets his way, I have to wonder if it will come back to haunt him in the future.

Reactions:
If he starts to doubt now, then everything he has achieved so far only faces a far more dangerous threat...

especially as it Angers Hildegarde. ... I'll show myself out.:D

Just a note, in Angers, we can't see the Loire, but the Maine (the Loire is kilometers up north). :)

Nice updates, I like the pace and your characters. I'm sorry I did not have time to comment lately. I read a few chapters in a row, and your story is great. Keep it up ! :)

you could give the boy the title back, and he will be your vassal

Reactions:
He is thinking rather big for his boots.

And a few home truths for Foulques. His self-deceit may yet, I think, be his undoing.

It well might. Thankfully for the duke, he has outside forces in his life to keep him in some sort of balance. For now anyway.

Foulques is starting to travel down a dark path. Geoffrey at least was excusable, so long as Foulques had the explicit sanction of the Church; trumping up false claims against a child, however... Even if he gets his way, I have to wonder if it will come back to haunt him in the future.

As you'll see in the next part, there are some repercussions forthcoming for Foulques. They may start small, but do the ripples build into a tidal wave against him? That remains to be seen. (Literally - since I'm just in 1080. A lot more could happen)

If he starts to doubt now, then everything he has achieved so far only faces a far more dangerous threat...

especially as it Angers Hildegarde. ... I'll show myself out.:D

:) Doubt or not, the problems Foulques will face will grow as he does. He still has quite a few potential dangerous situations that could backfire on him in the future.

Just a note, in Angers, we can't see the Loire, but the Maine (the Loire is kilometers up north). :)

Nice updates, I like the pace and your characters. I'm sorry I did not have time to comment lately. I read a few chapters in a row, and your story is great. Keep it up ! :)

D'oh! Looked up the general location of things when I wrote the battles (and thrown a bit by how the game really does a poor job at showing the proper locations in relation to the Loire, Cholet is south? of it according to the map?) but I did see the castle at Angers was right by a river. I thought it the Loire, but I see I was wrong. A reminder to always double check. (I may go back and edit it)

And thanks for the compliment! Glad you're enjoying it.

you could give the boy the title back, and he will be your vassal

I may not have explained this well in this chapter - Count Bouchard is already Foulques vassal as Vendome is part of the duchy of Anjou when the game starts. However, he means to strip him of the title entirely as he'll gain more men and lower resistance in the duchy to his actions by doing so. Sorry for not making that clear!

Aiming to get the next part up tonight (it's written, just reading it a few times over to see if I want to change anything) Then I'm hopeful to get the following part up by the end of the week, but I expect RL to be hectic over the next few days, so that's not a guarantee.

As always, thanks for the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 11 - March 1068
Before Plantagenet- Chapter 11

March 1068 - Bourges, France

Note: In this chapter the in-game event references something happening at Foulques' court. In this case, since the location does not matter for the event, I felt it better to include it here. Hope that does not bother anyone.

Another year, another wedding.

In truth, Foulques did not expect to be present at one so soon. But his mother worked quickly.

Hildegarde was the bride as she married Etienne, the Count of Bourges. He was a man some 16 years her elder, though that was no more than a minor concern for the duke.

The larger issue was Bourges bordered Tours. It was no secret the count desired the county and was rumored to be petitioning the king to create the Duchy of Berry, which would grant him claim over Tours.

Of course, now he might not even need that. If Hildegarde bore him any children, they would have proper claims through her.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, he was on the verge of being drawn into a conflict he did not seek.

Some of Duke Guilhem’s vassals, led by Count Hugues of Lusignan, had recently rebelled against their lord. And naturally, Guilhem looked to his ally for aid.

Rebellion_in_Aquitaine.jpg

Foulques had joined the war. But he had not mobilized his armies yet. Between his army and his brother’s, the levy of Anjou had been severely weakened. Leading it into battle now would put him at risk - while his forces with Guilhem’s were stronger than the rebels, isolated, the Anjoy levy was not.

And any men lost now would take time to replace. Time he did not wish to waste. Once he had the claim on Vendome, he planned to make his move as soon as he had the numbers to siege it down. He suspected he’d need at least 2,000...

The situation left Foulques in a rather foul mood as he looked out at the rest of the hall. As it was at his wedding feast, his family was here, including his half-siblings, Robert, Simon and Aureade, and Duke Robert. There was no Geoffrey of course, and Robert’s neither Robert’s oldest son, Henri, nor his now-married daughter, Constance, were present.

In little mood to talk, Foulques had worried his half-brother Robert would be a bother. But the younger Robert had hardly said two words to Foulques since arriving. In fact, he seemed rather cold to him.

Perhaps he had taken my refusal to offer him a place at court harder than expected.

Still, it suited Foulques fine. It allowed the duke to keep mostly to himself, examining the quality of food and entertainment, comparing it to his wedding to Beatritz.

“Stag,” Foulques said. “But little boar. Given his age it is hardly surprising. I doubt the count can hunt an animal so dangerous.”

Beatritz rolled her eyes.

“My lord,” she said, “While boar would have been more appealing to our tastes, the feast prepared is still magnificent.”

“Yes, you have sampled enough of it to know,” Foulques said.

“I enjoy myself,” Beatritz said. “It is a feast. That is its purpose.”

Foulques gulped down some of his wine.

“And when will you fill your purpose?” he said. “And give me a son? This count eyes my land you realize? And now that he is to bed my sister, he has reason to seize it if I have no sons.”

“I… I am certain in time…” Beatritz stammered.

“In time,” Foulques started as he drank down his wine. “Your time is nearly up, is it not?”

Beatritz stared at him for a moment - her lips trembling and her pale complexion reddening. But she did not argue. Instead she pushed herself away from the long table and disappeared down one of the hallways.

You should not have said that.

“Bah!” Foulques said as he quickly washed the thought away with more wine.

“Sending the wife away in tears,” Duke Robert said as he took Beatritz’s seat beside Foulques. “I have not managed that in some time.”

“You… brag to me about sending my mother away in tears?” Foulques asked.

“Did I say your mother, boy?” Robert asked. “She has never been one for such things. No, but the ones before…”

He chuckled. Foulques stared at Robert with some trepidation. “Do you need something of me, lord Robert?”

“I need nothing,” Robert said. “However, the king…”

Foulques poured himself more wine. He had heard Philippe had, as one of his first acts upon assuming full control of the realm, appointed Robert his chancellor. Such a move surprised Foulques since Robert was not the most diplomatic man, and Robert’s desire for the crown was well known.

Robert_updated_stats.jpg

“I’m surprised to see you serve our liege,” Foulques said. “I seem to remember a conversation not long ago about how most Kings of the Franks are not worth our time?”

“I’m sure you also remember Duke Guilhem?” Robert asked. “You think it wise to allow him unchecked influence over our liege? I thought it not.”

“The Duke has problems of his own right now,” Foulques said.

“Aye,” Robert responded. “And you have been asked to help him?”

“I will honor my alliance,” Foulques said. “The rebels will receive no quarter from me.”

“I suspect Guilhem expects more than that, boy,” Robert said.

Foulques sipped his drink. Such talk left him feeling stressed. So Foulques turned back to other matters.

“So you serve the King of the Franks now. Then do you still believe him a weak boy?” Foulques asked. “That may not make you an effective chancellor if you cannot convey your belief in your liege.”

Robert said nothing at first, swirling his drink, staring at it, before taking a sip. “I… admit, the boy has impressed me. He speaks well. He is well-informed. And I am not alone - those that meet him find him cordial, well-mannered and likable. I think he has much greater potential than my brother ever did.”

That is surprising to hear. To impress Robert, who had done nothing but sneer at the very thought that he was subservient to his nephew during the campaign, Philippe must have some talent. Whether it was as impressive as Robert said, or if the old Duke merely sought to expand his power in a different manner, is something Foulques would have to see for himself.

Robert_praises_Philippe.jpg

“He thinks highly of you, boy,” Robert said. “And I do not believe it is entirely Guilhem’s doing.”

“Perhaps I shall meet him soon,” Foulques said. “I have yet to pledge myself officially to him.”

“You would be wise to do so soon,” Robert said. “I believe he has a place for you. But places can be taken… by others.”

Foulques stared into his drink. He was not certain how to respond to that. However, he did not have to as his half-sister Aureade, who had just come of age, approached and stood by the two men, in silence.

“Do you want something girl?” Robert asked.

“Mother wishes to see you, brother,” she responded.

“What does she want?” Foulques asked.

“She did not say,” Aureade said.

“I should not keep her waiting then,” Foulques said. “Where is she?”

Aureade directed him to the hallway where Beatritz had run off to. As he approached, his wife emerged. Tears were drying on her cheeks. They traded looks at one another, but said nothing.

Any lingering guilt Foulques had was replaced by a sense of dread. He had a feeling he knew what this was about.

“You wished to see me mother?” Foulques asked as he found her, leaning against the stone in the dimly lit hallway.

“I tire of this,” Ermengarde said.

“Of what?”

“Of having to remind you of what is proper at every wedding we attend together,” Ermengarde said.

Foulques dropped his head. “I voiced a concern.”

“You belittle your wife for not giving you a son,” Ermengarde said. “I was unaware Beatritz had ordered you away from your marital bed, to galavant around Anjou attempting to bring your brother to heel.”

“I had a duty,” Foulques said.

“You have a duty to your wife,” Ermengarde said. “The physicians all say it is required for her health. For any woman’s health.”

“I… shall strive to do better in the future,” Foulques said. “Since returning, I feel I have done as I should with her.”

Ermengarde let loose a loud, sarcastic laugh. “My son, you believe you should belittle your wife and force a pretty young woman upon her ladies?”

“It is my right,” Foulques said.

“I never said it was not,” Ermengarde said.

“Did you just wish to question my relationship with my wife?” Foulques asked.

Ermengarde shook her head, then motioned for him to follow her further away from the feast.

“No, but it was a good chance to remind you to treat your wife well,” Ermengarde said. “She may bear you a son yet. And more importantly, a man who makes an enemy of his wife gives his other enemies opportunity to strike.”

“Do you know of an enemy?” Foulques asked.

Ermengarde lowered her head. Her eyes fell away from Foulques'. “Geoffrey seeks to end your life."

Foulques’ stomach sank. He did not know why he should be surprised - his brother surely hated him for usurping his title and chasing him from the realm. And yet… it stung.

“Then I should return the favor,” Foulques said.

“I think it a waste for you,” Ermengarde said. “You will find few allies in Bourgogne. You would be wiser to make sure Geoffrey cannot touch you. Keep an eye to suspicious activity in your duchy and court. Make sure your master of spies is favorable to you. And keep your wife a happy woman.”

Foulques nodded. That he was the target of a plot by Geoffrey was… concerning. But he would not hide. He was not craven.

And it did reassure him that his mother appeared to back him, unlike Hildegarde.

“I do not back you over Geoffrey,” Ermengarde said upon receiving his thanks. “I support all my children. I do not wish harm on any of them. That is why I warn you of Geoffrey’s plot. And that your half-siblings look upon your gains with envy. And Robert encourages them.”

“I don’t… understand,” Foulques said.

“That they would want what you have?”

“No,” Foulques said. “That I understand. But if you do not favor me, why tell me such things?”

“Because if you are prepared, then they will think wiser of even attempting it,” Ermengarde said. “You were able to attack Geoffrey because he did not keep himself strong. But if you maintain your levy and keep gold flowing, it will be hard for Robert, Simon or Aureade to press any claim. Same to for the Count of Bourges, regardless of how many children Hildegarde gives him.”

“Worry not mother,” Foulques said. “I would crush whoever stands against me.”

Ermengarde grabbed his face and pulled it toward her, her stare pinning him as much as her hand did.

“Do you not hear me? I do not tell you this so you may kill your siblings. I tell you this so you understand how to avoid needless conflict entirely! I am sick over what transpired between you and Geoffrey. I could not stop it - but I will stop any further war between my children.”

Foulques did not say anything to that.

“Silent?” Ermengarde said. “Good. Think upon what I have told you. It may save your life one day.”

“I will… mother,” Foulques said.

“Let us return to the feast,” Ermengarde said. “We should congratulate your sister once more before she joins her new husband in their marital bed.”

….

Foulques awoke the next morning with a slight headache and his mouth dry. He looked for water, but did not see any. He shook Beatritz, who was snoring beside him.

“No water?”

Her long, dark hair covered much of her face. She pushed it away, revealing half-open eyes. “I must have forgotten, my lord. I apologize. I’m certain your sister’s new servants will fetch you some.”

The duke frowned. She normally was not one to forget such matters after Foulques had drunk heavily the night before. But perhaps she had as well? Foulques did not know how much Beatritz had drunk, just that he had listened to his mother’s advice and taken her to bed with him.

Throwing on a tunic quickly, he opened the door to this quarters. However, there seemed to be a bit of a commotion with servants and courtiers bustling about.

“What is this about?” Foulques asked as he grabbed one of the men.

“The Duke of Burgundy and his family are preparing to depart, my lord,” the man said.

“So quickly?”

“It seems to be a matter of great import,” the man said.

“And that matter is?”

“I do not know my lord,” the man said. “My apologies.”

Foulques let the man return to his duties, closed the door to his quarters before throwing a dress at Beatritz. She stirred once more.

“What… is something happening, my lord?” Beatritz asked.

“My mother and the duke depart,” Foulques said. “Urgently it appears. We should see why.”

There was no resistance from Beatritz, who did her best to quickly climb into her dress. The two hurried toward the guest chambers where his mother had been residing.

“Foulques!” Ermengarde said. “I was about to find you.”

“What is going on?”

“Your stepbrother Henri…” Ermengarde said. “He is dead.”

Henri_de_Bourgogne_dies.jpg

Foulques’ eyes widened. “Dead? What happened?”

“He was on a hunt,” Ermengarde said. “And struck by an errant arrow.”

“An accident?”

“So they say,” Ermengarde said. “Though no man is willing to admit who fired the arrow.”

“You are not convinced?”

“No,” Ermengarde said.

She pulled Foulques close in an embrace.

“Henri was not my son by blood,” she said. “But I feel his loss all the same because I do have sons. And one who is a target. Remember what I told you. Promise me you will remember and listen to my words.”

“I will mother,” Foulques said.

Ermengarde kissed him on the cheek and then did the same for Beatritz.

“Fear not my lady,” Ermengarde said. “It will not be long before you are with child. As I told you, I have dreamt it.”

“Thank you,” Beatritz said. “And my prayers are with your family.”

Footsteps approached the chambers. The three looked to the doorway to see the younger Robert.

“Are you ready to depart mother?” he asked.

“I am,” Ermengarde said. She looked at Foulques once more. “Please, remember my words.”

He nodded and gave his mother one last embrace before she departed.

As he looked at them walk away, Foulques remembered his conversation months before with his half-brother - how he said there was suspicion and intrigue rampant in Burgundy and how he hated it. This likely only served to further his distaste for his home.

And yet, Foulques remembered his mother’s warning - that his stepfather had likely poisoned Robert and his other half-siblings against him. Not totally, but suggestions of greatness was all an ambitious man like the younger Robert would need to dream.

He did not know why he opened his mouth. Only that he did.

“Robert!” Foulques called out. His half-brother turned.

Offer him friendship. Do him better than you did Geoffrey.

“I am sorry… both for your loss, and that you were right.”

The two men stared at each other from across the hallway. Foulques searched anything more he could say - many things came to mind, but nothing escaped his lips. Finally Robert just shook his head.

“Small consolation, that,” he said as he turned back and continued on his way.

“So tragic,” Beatritz whispered to Foulques. “Do you think… your mother suspicions are right?”

Foulques said nothing He just continued to watch them as they walked off, with his eyes increasingly focusing on his half-brother. Henri did have plenty of sons. And yet...

He… couldn’t have… could he?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: