• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
War then, but with an eye to internal things as well. Foulques is not so clever as he thinks he Is, by my reckoning..

Yeah, Foulques has a mind for war. But as a schemer? He's not nearly as proficient. The good news for him is he's not a big player in France, so right now, he's well served by his military mindset. Should he actually achieve short-term goals, he'll need to be a bit more careful. His plans may not be so salvageable next time.

I have an inkling that Andre is not one to simply sit around and nurse a grudge when he could be acting. Replacing him may have been a necessary move, but adding insult to injury by humiliating him like that may have earned Folques a rival he ought not underestimate.

Diplomacy would have served him well. Unfortunately, Foulques is just not diplomatic. I try to have it so that he does the basics, especially with those who he has to be respectful toward, but that mask falls easily, especially to those he can afford to let it happen against. And even with him being "respectful" toward some, I wouldn't call him beloved by anyone at this point.

Reactions:
Chapter 5 - January 1067
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 5

January 1067 - Southeast of Angers, Anjou, France

Finally, a chance for glory.

Foulques d’Anjou had been counting down the days until he would finally have a battle worth something. Crossing over to Vendome quickly after declaring against Geoffrey, he found a small levy. His commander Amaury had dealt with them well enough – 1200 men easily handled 100. It was over so quickly, the count had not even gotten a chance to bloody his lance.

Battle_of_Lavardin.jpg

His hopes again rose upon hearing Geoffrey was moving the bulk of his army – his levy from Anjou – into Tours. He assumed Geoffrey would rush his men across and attempt to make his stand as Foulques re-crossed the Loire, back into Tours.

But it was not to be – instead Foulques and Amaury found no resistance as they returned to Tours. Upon meeting Marshal Leon at the keep, they learned Geoffrey had instead decided to remain in Anjou, preparing his defense for when Foulques attempted to cross into the county.

Despite the risk of an assault across a river onto a fortified position, Foulques was very eager to give battle.

Though he consoled himself with study of strategy at his keep, and trying to produce an heir with Beatritz, what he really craved being in the midst of a life and death struggle, his enemy within striking distance of his sword… the rush of battle as they locked blades…

He almost had ordered his army forward before it was time. Amaury and Leon held him back however, and Tours’ force would not cross the Loire until Duke Guilhem’s men neared Anjou. To the east, Duke Robert’s army was fast approaching as well.

Duke_Guilhem_joins_the_war.jpg

Duke_Robert_joins_the_war.jpg

What Foulques didn’t understand was why Geoffrey waited – while his position was strong if Foulques alone attacked, he would almost certainly be overrun once the two other dukes joined the fray.

The answer came late in December. Geoffrey had wed.

Lithuaise de Normandie was the woman. Foulques initially worried such a marriage would align his brother the armies of the Bastard, but in fact, but while her uncle was a William, it was William, Count of Eu, a cousin of the man aiming to take English crown.

Still, the Count of Eu had men, and if Geoffrey could secure an alliance with him, it would complicate matters.

“This is Andre’s doing,” Foulques insisted when he had learned of it.

“We don’t know that,” Mayor Guilhem said. “Anyone with sense would have told Geoffrey he had need of allies.”

The steward’s reasoning didn’t make Foulques feel more secure. Not only had his brother potentially found an ally, the count’s new chancellor had taken ill in recent weeks. Without a proper physician in court, Bernard de Brosse had taken whatever aid he could find, and thus far, his condition only appeared to be worsening.

Foulques knew there were whispers that this was a sign he had committed a foul deed against Andre, and that he was being punished as a result. A few others believed it meant the old chancellor was in fact evil, having run to the court of an excommunicated man. Perhaps, they said, he had also used dark magic to curse the position of chancellor.

It made Foulques desire action. He again pressed to just attack Geoffrey, believing his leadership would be enough to smash his brother, regardless of his strong position. Again, he was counseled out of it – just barely – by his advisors and his wife.

But now, as the forces of the dukes closed in on Anjou, Foulques would have to wait no longer.

Atop his steed, he moved the horse back and forth in front of the line. He had already given his speech to his men – talking of the forces of the two dukes closing the vice on Geoffrey’s forces and how glory awaited them on the other side of the river.

Battle_of_Cholet.jpg

Foulques gave the order for his men to move and his skirmishers attempted to thin the path through. He did not have a great deal of archers, but his brother’s forces had fewer, and the infantry soon moved across the Loire.

The infantry battle was fierce, but the force of Tours managed to push the Angers army back enough to give space for the cavalry. Without delay, Foulques charged his men through as they prepared to strike at the enemy infantry.

Lances lowered they launched a full on charge into the second line of Geoffrey’s infantry in the center. Splinters from his lance sprayed in each direction, but it did its duty. The furious assault slammed into the row of troops and with no spears to protect them, the unit soon began to melt away in a mix of chaos, fear and panic. Foulques kept his broken lance as it still was able to do damage to foot soldiers from distance.

His cavalry and guard made short work of the infantry unit, and the count searched for his brother. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a unit of cavalry counter charging his own infantry. Hoping to find his brother there, Foulques shouted for his cavalry to follow him into the fray once more.

They caught some of the opposition cavalry off guard, having not entirely cleaned up the infantry just yet. Foulques, now in close combat, dropped his broken lance and drew his sword. He soon crossed blades with one knight, parrying blows with his shield until, finally an opportunity came to slash. The knight was a touch slow in his response, and the attack hit home.

Thanks to the knight’s mail, the sword was limited in the damage it could do on impact. But it’s effects were just as deadly, as the knight was knocked from his horse and fell to the ground. When he staggered to his feet, Foulques slashed the man across the face.

The fighting continued, and Foulques continued to search for Geoffrey, but was unable to find him in the chaos. Could his brother have not had the courage to lead his men? Foulques thought little of Geoffrey, but never believed him craven.

His search was stopped, however, as he began to notice his men being pushed back.

“Our left has been fallen back across the Loire,” one of the knights informed Foulques. “Their right pushes back against our center.”

Foulques did not expect the battle could turn against him. Where were the dukes’ armies? They were supposed to have pinned the flanks, allowing Foulques to overwhelm the center.

With a kick to his horse, Foulques led his men back out into the thick of the battle, hoping a swift counter charge against the enemy right could push them back and regain the momentum. Armed with fresh lances, Foulques and the cadre of knights did slow the infantry assault, which, not being very numerous, fell back.

But when the cavalry gave chase, they ran into the retreating enemy and much of the center, now having regrouped. The infantry counter-charge caught the knights by surprise, and Foulques men soon found themselves in a swarm of men, limiting their mobility.

Foulques thrusted as he could with his lance. It wasn’t hard to hit something, but the count knew he was a target as well. He did his best to maneuver as to avoid being knocked from his horse, but if things did not change soon, he knew he may well end up cornered…

“A dangerous game you play, brother!”

As Foulques heard that in the distance, he turned to see the mass of men began to melt away. To his right, Foulques saw more cavalry, hitting the infantry from the sides and rear. The charge allowed Foulques men to seize control once more, as Geoffrey’s army again broke.

He would never admit it, but Foulques breathed a sigh of relief. He looked back and acknowledged the young man beside him.

“Robert, what took you so long?” Foulques asked.

“Father thought it amusing to see you squirm,” Robert de Bourgogne replied. The teen gave his half-brother a slight smirk.

Foulques was not sure if the younger Robert was joking. In a way, he preferred not to know. “Where is your father?”

“He reinforces your center,” Robert said. “You would have been able to retreat… had I not arrived.”

“It is appreciated,” Foulques said. “A good experience for your first combat action! Next time you should try leading the initial charge. That is where real men are forged.”

Robert shook his head, though the smirk did not leave his face. “As you say, brother. There will be time for that talk later. For now, should we not be running down these men to make sure they do not regroup?”

Fouqlues stared at his brother, but did not say a word before urging his steed to a gallop, in pursuit of his knights and the men they hunted.

Victory_at_Cholet.jpg

….

A lone man rode up to the main camp. He gave his horse to a young man and dismounted, before hurrying into the command tent, where Foulques, Duke Guilhem, Duke Robert and the younger Robert gathered, each with a cup of wine in hand.

“Ah, Amaury,” Foulques said. “This is the man I was telling you about Robert. A fine commander. And you said you met him earlier, Duke Guilhem?”

The Duke of Aquitaine nodded. “Yes. He was rallying his men after your brother’s forces had pushed back. Your bravery is to be commended.”

“That flatters me more than you know, my lord,” Amaury said.

“Any news of my brother?” Foulques asked.

“No sign of Geoffrey, my lord,” Amaury said.

The battle had been a total victory. Geoffrey’s army had been overwhelmed, with half of its number dead or captured. Around 500 had fled successfully, though much to Foulques disappointment, it appeared Geoffrey was among them.

“Does he run to Angers, I wonder,” Duke Robert asked aloud.

“He would be trapped like a rat,” the younger Robert said. “He likely flees with his army. We should hunt them down.”

“While Angers has been stripped of it’s levy?” Guilhem asked. “The keep likely has its garrison and nothing more. It must fall for this war to be won. It would be foolish to chase the rats when we can destroy the nest!”

“If we leave them,” the young man said, “they may continue to be pests. 500 men may not be many in the face of our army, but that is still large enough to raid our peasants and cause unrest.”

“Forgive the boy,” Duke Robert said. “He’s young. All young men want to do is fight. No sense of the larger picture.”

Foulques noticed his half-brother furrow his brow. But he kept his mouth shut.

“My brother’s concerns are noted,” Foulques said. “But Duke Guilhem is right. The keep at Angers will never be riper for the taking than it is now. Our supplies are high and our morale equal to that. And that victory should give pause to William of Eu, should he have been harboring any ideas of joining Geoffrey. We make for Angers in the morn.”

“Here, here!” Guilhem said. He raised his cup of wine. “Congratulations Foulques. This battle is but a step – however, it is a large step.”

The count tipped his cup to the duke and drank down his wine. In truth, he had hoped to capture Geoffrey and win this war in one glorious fight. William of Eu remained a concern.

And he did harbor some worry over the subordinates Geoffrey had – while the talented Baron de Cholet had overseen the defenses, Foulques had heard he had not taken part in the fight – perhaps ordered not to by Geoffrey. Next time, the baron might - and Foulques knew him well from their days on Geoffrey's council. He was a force to be reckoned with.

Then there was Andre, who no doubt was working his best to secure more allies, whether it be in men or money, for Geoffrey. He surely wasn't able to curse anyone... but a small part of Foulques wondered if perhaps he was being shown favor by a higher power.

Yes, this battle was a fine start, Foulques thought, but far from finished.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well now, always nice for things to get off to a rousing start, but do I detect a hint that perhaps his allies do not quite respect Foulques as he thinks they should? It is almost as if he is a useful pawn in their own games.

Well now, always nice for things to get off to a rousing start, but do I detect a hint that perhaps his allies do not quite respect Foulques as he thinks they should? It is almost as if he is a useful pawn in their own games.

I would agree with this, for sure. Both dukes are quite powerful in a realm that can be easily destabilized and certainly have to factor in their own interests. And from a realistic standpoint - Guilhem holds more troops than any man in France, including the king. Robert is a Capetian, son of a king, uncle to the king. They both probably (and arguably rightly) see Foulques as a potentially useful individual, but beneath their stature, even if he does rise to duke.

Just as a question for those of those who are following along, how are you liking things so far? Is the pace too slow? Anything you'd like to see more of? Less of? Since this is my first AAR, feedback can definitely be helpful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 6 - June 1067
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 6

June 1067 - Angers, Anjou, France

Foulques d’Anjou stroked his goatee as he stared at the man before him.

He was not much younger than the count, and though his face was chiseled, he was rather rotund. But that face did not betray emotion, even though nothing had been said for a good minute.

That discipline would be useful to have, Foulques thought.

“Guillaume,” Foulques began, “Lady Beatritz says you will make a fine chancellor. Why should I believe her?”

The young man looked up at the count. “I am humbled by the countess’ praise, my lord. I cannot offer any guarantees – just that I will work to achieve your goals. I may not have a background in diplomacy, but I have other means of securing your aims.”

He was honest on that front.

“And why would you wish to serve me?” Foulques asked.

“An opportunity to do more than simply exist in a court,” Guillaume said. “And you do the Lord’s work – being willing to attack one’s blood if he violates the will of the church.”

Foulques was surprised to hear Guillaume speak of that – did he truly believe this war was over anything but titles and territory? If so the late Bernard de Brosse’s work would have greater impact than the count would have imagined.

Much to the count’s disappointment, Bernard had not recovered from his illness. His condition steadily declined over the weeks of sickness, and no treatment he sought seemed to help. Finally, he was bedridden with a high fever in mid-February, and did not rise again.

Bernard_de_Brosse_dies.jpg

Beatritz had informed him that some suspected the Great Pox. Others still, to dark magic from Andre. In the end, it did not matter – Foulques was once more in need of a chancellor who could find him a claim on Vendome and still had no one in the county to fill the role.

So again Beatritz returned to the list. With Foulques laying siege to Angers, he allowed her to select the candidate she felt best, then send him to her husband to approval. Guillaume now stood before him, and Foulques was left to make a decision on the man’s merits.

At least he is not from the south, Foulques thought. Instead Guillaume was from the north, near Flanders. He likely also hoped, as Bernard likely had, to secure his own claim if he proved himself useful, but Foulques had begun to accept that was unavoidable.

The count’s half-brother Robert leaned in. “You would use a man as chancellor who was not educated in the ways of diplomacy?”

Told to observe by his father, the teen seemed compelled to also give his opinion. Not that it was a bad one in this case.

Still, Foulques was left without many options, and he was on campaign. Bernard had also lacked a proper education, though he had little time to prove whether it was a hindrance. He may as well put this man to work – every day someone was not working on the Vendome claim was another day lost.

“Unconventional does not mean he cannot do the job,” Foulques said. “We shall see how he does.”

Turning back to Guillaume, Foulques said: “Very well Guillaume de Guines, you may take up position in my court, and as my chancellor. Return to Tours and my steward, Mayor Guilhem, will explain your task and what your predecessors have left behind that can aid you. You can depart in the morn.”

“Thank you for your confidence my lord,” Guillaume said. “I shall not let you down.”

Guillaume_de_Guines_stats.jpg

Guillaume bowed to Foulques and then headed off, mounting a horse and starting on his way back to the main camp. The young Robert shook his head.

“You should have found a man who was trained to be a diplomat,” Robert said.

“When you have a county of your own, brother,” Foulques said. “Then you may choose your own chancellor.”

Robert ‘s brow furrowed. Fouqlues knew his half-brother wasn’t in line to secure any land at the moment – he had two older brothers for the duchy of Burgundy and two older brothers for the duchy of Anjou.

Angry over that comment? Learn your place then, Foulques thought.

“Come, we should rejoin your father and Duke Guilhem,” Foulques said, throwing a pat on the back on the young Robert.

The two men untied their horses from their respective tree branches, mounted them and engaged in a gentle trot back to the main camp. They were about a half mile away from the army, which was now in its fifth month of laying siege to the keep at Angers.

The meeting’s distance from the main camp was no accident. While he had no qualms putting his half-brother in his place, Foulques had little desire to have to deal with comments from the two dukes, with whom the count had to be far more… delicate with in his responses.

Truth be told, Foulques was pleased to have his mind on something else for a few days. He was growing impatient with the progress of the siege. Bandits had raided the army’s camp, stealing supplies and killing small numbers of his men. Small units he’d sent to root out the troublemakers had not only failed, but actually cost him more men.

The count suspected the bandits weren’t quite acting independently either. While Geoffrey was probably not wise enough to organize them into anything useful, or coordinate them with the defenses of his keep, Foulques guessed the Baron of Cholet was.

Rather than wait any longer, Foulques desired to just storm the keep. The garrison numbered less than 1000 men, and the combined forces of the attackers sat near 8000. It would be bloody, but taking Angers would demoralize Geoffrey’s forces. It would also free up the army to crush the remnants of the opposition army, which had regrouped and now made camp in Vendome.

Siege_of_Anjou.jpg

Naturally, the dukes were opposed to such a move.

“But Geoffrey may be in the keep!” Foulques had argued a week before at a strategy conference with the dukes, young Robert and commander Armaury. “We could take it, and if we fail to capture him, then turn our armies on the Geoffrey when he flees to his army in Vendome.”

“He baits you,” Guilhem said. “He knows he has no chance if we wait them out. So he hopes you either storm the keep and suffer heavy losses, or that you to raise the siege, allowing his garrison to resupply. So he presents the army as an attractive target. It’s simple.”

“And if we capture him,” Foulques said. “We win the war.”

“I do not think he would allow himself capture,” Guilhem said. “He did not present himself in either of your first encounters. I suspect he will be gone as soon as you make a move in either direction. You will not find him, and we will lose more men than necessary. ”

“Simple, and obvious, boy,” Duke Robert said. “He's desperate. The keep will fall by September. Yet you’d fall for his bait so easily? And here I thought you believed yourself the smarter of you two.”

Foulques wanted to snap at his stepfather’s snide comments. The elder Robert was not one to bite his tongue and the count was growing tired of it. He was arrogant and overconfident for someone that did nothing more than extort his own vassals.

Surprisingly though, Foulques did have an ally.

“We need not raise siege though,” the younger Robert said. “Let Foulques and I take the army of Tours and half of the Burgundy army. There will be more than enough to maintain the siege with you and Duke Guilhem. While you keep the garrison at Angers from resupplying, we crush Geoffrey’s army in Vendome.”

“I think the young Robert has the makings of a fine commander,” Foulques said. “I would be honored to have him alongside of me for this.”

The older Robert laughed as he stared his son down. “You think you command my armies, boy? Maybe one day, but not today. I brought you to learn, not to give orders.”

“But, is part of learning not also learning how to give orders?” the younger Robert pleaded.

The elder duke drank from his goblet of wine. “Yes, learning how to deliver my orders, boy.”

The teen was so frustrated after the exchange, he slammed a table and stormed out of the tent. While Foulques, Guilhem and Amaury were speechless, the old Robert just chuckled.

“Impatient boy,” he said. “He’ll learn his place in time.”

His ally lost, Foulques knew he had little chance of convincing the dukes to follow his plan at the meeting. Guihelm had no desire to put his troops into battle unnecessarily and the dukes seemed unwilling to continue the siege if Foulques departed.

And even if they were, the count wasn’t sure he could trust them not to blow up the alliance on their own squabbles. It was clear Robert and Guilhem did not care for one another – one being a member of the Capetian royal house and the other being from the very independent-minded south.

Thus, Foulques was left with little choice but to wait out Angers. He had shared drinks on a few evenings with Amaury and the younger Robert, who lamented the decisions of the older dukes. But none could do anything about it but drown their disappointments.

“I am the grandson of a king!” the teen said the evening after his outburst in the meeting. “Yet they look at me like I am some lowborn welp.”

Foulques gave a glance to Amaury, who was far from noble born. But the teen did not pay it any mind.

“Your father is the son of a king,” Foulques said. “So he thinks himself all of our rulers.”

“He also thinks himself a great commander,” Robert said. “But I bested him in our last two games. He’s an old fool.”

“Quite the accomplishment, brother,” Foulques said. Robert shook his head.

“Nay, everyone beats him,” Robert admitted. “If father was a skilled man on the battlefield, he is no longer.”

The teen’s sentiment gave Foulques confidence, should he ever need to deal with the old duke in battle, he would best him. It also made the count wonder if perhaps his half-brother might have a desire to remain in Angers when this conflict was over…

“I would avoid him,” Amaury said the next day. “The boy has talent, but also a claim to your lands. You would willingly invite a wolf into your henhouse?”

“He dislikes his father,” Foulques argued.

“Because his father rules the duchy,” Amaury said. “If he were to come to Tours, he would dislike you, because you rule. It is the way with him. He is ambitious, envious… he believes himself everyone’s better.”

“Some would say that of me,” Foulques said.

“Aye, and are they wrong?” Amaury asked.

To that the count did not respond. And he declined to offer Robert a place at his court later that day.

Foulques’ mind had admittedly returned to the thought as he and Robert talked with Guillaume. He believed the teen capable. But he could see Amaury was right – Robert did fancy himself a ruler without a title. In Tours, or Anjou, he would eventually chafe under Foulques.

The two men arrived back in camp and found a bit of a commotion. When the two dismounted, a red-headed, bearded courtier, Louis, rushed up to the count.

“My lords!” Louis said. “An emissary from the king awaits!”

“From King Philippe?” Foulques said. “Here to speak with one of the dukes?”

Given that Duke Robert was the king’s uncle, and Duke Guilhem was the king’s marshal, either would have made sense.

“Nay, my lord,” Louis said. “His message is for you.”

“For me?” Foulques said. “I wonder what it’s about?”

The young king was nearly of age, but had plenty to worry about when he took full control. Besides the Duke of Normandy attempting to seize control of England, there was the looming threat of the Emperor to the East. And of course, there was Robert, who always seemed to be angling for the crown.

But he'd never had business with Foulques. What could he want?

When they arrived at the tent, the emissary was within, waiting alongside dukes Robert and Guilhem.

“You wished to speak with me?” Foulques asked the man.

“I do,” the emissary said. “King Philippe has heard of your exploits in this quarrel with your brother the Duke. He is most impressed.”

"The boy-king can see talent when it shines brightly enough,” the older Robert said. “I suppose that gives him some advantage over his father.”

“You would do well to remember who our liege is, Robert,” Guilhem said.

“Philippe has as much royal blood in his veins as I do,” Robert said. He turned back to the emissary. “Get on with it. What does the boy want?”

The emissary glared at Robert before producing a parchment. “Our liege requests Lord Foulques take command of one of his armies.”

King_Philippe_first_offer.jpg

“So Philippe is looking for his dukes to lead his armies?” Robert said. “Even as we fight wars of our own?”

“Not dukes,” the emissary said. “Just the future Duke of Anjou, my good Duke of Burgundy.”

Robert turned to Guilhem. “Your doing, marshal? When you went Paris a few months ago?”

Guilhem nodded. “The king merely asked if I had seen anyone of promise thus far in this family squabble. I told him the count had shown promise and would be worth keeping an eye on.”

Foulques’ eyebrow rose. Guilhem was praising him to the king? That… was certainly a good thing.

Robert sneered. “As I’ve said, we are fighting our own war here. A king cannot expect a lord to abandon his men on a whim. Perhaps when Lord Foulques finishes his war, he will be better able to answer the king’s call.”

“I shall keep that in mind if the king ever asks whether you would be fit to be a commander,” Guilhem said, “In the meantime, I imagine the king would like to hear what Lord Foulques has to say.”

Foulques was speechless. How could he give an answer? It was an honor to be asked to become a commander for the king. And it came with recommendation of his brother in law, who obviously held influence in court.

Influence in the court of a king… who was weak. A king whom one of his closest allies, his stepfather, wanted to be rid of.

But a king nonetheless… a king who could bestow favor… territory… and perhaps aid against a strong William the Bastard of Normandy, whether or not he won his conquest of England.

“I…” Foulques stammered. “I… cannot.”

“You decline the call of your liege?” Guilhem demanded.

“Abandoning my men,” Foulques said. “Is not something I can do. Perhaps when this conflict is done. Please tell the king that I am honored and humbled by his call. And by your recommendation as well, Duke Guilhem. It is… just not possible at this time. I am needed here. But know, the king shall have the men requires, should he request them when I have become Duke of Anjou. I swear as such.”

“I see,” the emissary said. “I will pass this along to the king. I cannot imagine he will be pleased.”

“The boy-king must learn a crown does not mean you get everything you desire,” Robert said. “Now begone! We have a war to win.”

“The king shall hear of your insults Sir Duke,” the emissary said.

“And he must learn to have tougher skin,” Robert said. “I said worse to his father.”

The emissary shook his head and then stormed off, leaving the dukes, Foulques and the younger Robert alone.

“Lord,” Foulques said. “I turned down the king.”

Robert laughed. “My boy, the king of the Franks is not worth worrying about. There is a worthwhile one every 100 years. The rest cower in the Ile de France, hoping they keep their crown. And then every two hundred years, one doesn’t.”

“And if Philippe is the one in 100 years?” the younger Robert asked.

Robert laughed. “The welp will not last the decade. The buzzards circle. The Emperor, the Bastard, Toulouse, Flanders. He should be grateful if I took the crown from his head. He might live to a ripe old age if I did. I would not kill my nephew.”

Foulques raised an eyebrow. He doubted Robert’s sincerity there. His stepfather was not known for his kindness – and leaving the rightful king alive would hardly be prudent.

“And I truly hope I did not insult you by refusing,” Foulques said to Guilhem. “But while you could leave your men in this conflict, I cannot. It is not your war. It is, however, mine.”

Guilhem’s face did not betray any emotion. He merely sipped a cup of wine. “Understandable. I am not certain I share Duke Robert’s assessment of our young king’s capabilities, but I do know why you may not wish commit yourself to anything now.”

He took another sip. “But I would caution against putting too much stock in the words of a man who wishes to undermine the crown for his own gain whatever chance gets. Rest assured, listen to the wrong man, and you will not advance far in the realm.”

“Wrong man?” Robert asked. “You inherited your holdings because your brothers died. I have my land because I took it and would not let it go. When fortune does not smile upon you, Guilhem, what will you do then? I already know what I did.”

“I control the king’s armies,” Guilhem said. “You would be wise to remember that, lest they are directed at you.”

“My lords!” Foulques interrupted. “The decision was mine, and mine alone. If you are angry at anyone Duke Guilhem, focus your ire at me.”

A silence fell over the tent. Guilhem took a deep breath.

“As you say, my young count,” he started, “the decision is yours. I shall hope you reconsider once this conflict has ended. Now, if you will excuse me, I believe I shall retire to my tent for now. Good day.”

Once Guilhem was out of earshot, the younger Robert spoke up.

“Does he think himself king?” the teen asked. “He thinks he can dictate to you, brother, as if you are one of his vassals?”

“His knights make him confident,” the older Robert said. “If he had a claim to the throne, no doubt he would think himself capable of taking it. Alas, he does not. So he thinks he can make himself the man behind the throne.”

And he might be right, Foulques thought. The count sighed. “I think I also shall retire. Brother, my lord.”

Foulques took his time as he wandered back to his personal tent. The sun had begun to set on what had been an eventful day, though not in the way he had necessarily hoped.

The count stopped upon seeing Amaury addressing another soldier.

“My lord,” Amaury said. “Do you need something?”

Foulques paused. “Amaury, I have turned down a king. Is that mad?”

Amaury was silent for a moment. “Yes, for a man such as myself.”

“And for me?” Foulques asked.

“You are of noble birth, my lord,” Amaury said. “I cannot say. I would think if our liege values you, then you are in no danger. He will merely work harder to make you his.”

Foulques nodded. “Thank you, Amaury.”

“Whatever you need, my lord,” Amaury said.

As he returned to the tent, Foulques felt a little better of his choice. Or at the very least - he was less worried it would destroy his alliance with Duke Guilhem or draw the young king’s ire on a permanent basis.

He would have to be wary, however. As a mere count in Tours, Foulques was limited in who he dealt with as his own man, rather than someone who, directly or indirectly, represented his brother. As a duke, he would be his own man - dealing with men like Robert and Guilhem as equals and directly with kings like the young Philippe, without anyone to protect him. His decision today likely would not harm him, but if he made the wrong move in the future…

Foulques did not sleep well that night.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh my what a tricky business that is. You can tell Foulques impatience and uncomfortableness with this situation, the pivot between two great lords. And the this offer ...

He is learning.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just as a question for those of those who are following along, how are you liking things so far? Is the pace too slow? Anything you'd like to see more of? Less of? Since this is my first AAR, feedback can definitely be helpful.
I'm still following along. Just finished scene 3 and the dialogue and pacing are more than fine. I had some RL issues that has kept me from keeping up regularly but trust that I will when time permits. For a first AAR, this is exceptional. Keep it up, I would say!

And the scene with his wife was a high note. Well done. Good use of not just the traits to flesh her out, but so too her characterization. Mixed with the irritating council, it made for a fun read! :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh my what a tricky business that is. You can tell Foulques impatience and uncomfortableness with this situation, the pivot between two great lords. And the this offer ...

He is learning.

Agreed. And he'll be doing some more learning shortly.

I'm still following along. Just finished scene 3 and the dialogue and pacing are more than fine. I had some RL issues that has kept me from keeping up regularly but trust that I will when time permits. For a first AAR, this is exceptional. Keep it up, I would say!

And the scene with his wife was a high note. Well done. Good use of not just the traits to flesh her out, but so too her characterization. Mixed with the irritating council, it made for a fun read! :)

Thanks! Appreciate people are liking the way it's gone so far.

And I toyed with a few different ways of handling that conversation. Beatritz can be... hard to find a balance for, since I want to display that she's got plenty of administrative sense, but she's craven, so she may be hesitant to actually show that sense. Glad you liked it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7 - August 1067
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 7

August, 1067 - Angers, Anjou, France

After over a half year, the gates of Angers finally lay open.

At the head of a small cadre of knights, rode Foulques atop his steed. Beside him, Dukes Robert and Guilhem, along with the count’s half-brother Robert. Behind the nobles, was commander Amaury.

Those few who watched the procession enter the walls did so in hushed tones. Foulques was not sure what he expected - a small part of him hoped the people would be happy to have a competent ruler at the seat of the duchy and show that appreciation. But as he entered as a conqueror, who had starved the keep into submission, such hopes were more fancy than he would have liked.

Upon reaching the main hall, Foulques looked around. It was mostly deserted - the servants were likely hiding out of fear. He had instructed his men to refrain from looting and plundering - he had plans to rule from this keep after all - but he knew some of it, especially from the armies of Robert and Guilhem, was unavoidable.

The silence was eerie though - the only sounds that could be heard were the rustling of their mail and swords, along with their boots against the stone.

Finally, the count walked confidently up the few steps, turned and sat himself on the large, wooden chair.

Fall_of_Angers.jpg

“Enjoy this seat, my lord,” Amaury said. “It shall be yours permanently soon enough.”

“Not soon enough for my liking,” Foulques said. “Have we found anyone?”

“No sign of the Baron de Cholet,” Amaury said. “He appears to have fled just before the surrender. And it is as we heard from our spies, Geoffrey is not here either. Their decision to run may have weakened the morale of the garrison and forced a quicker surrender, my lord.”

The older Robert laughed. “If that boy fought as well as he ran, this war would be very different.”

“If Geoffrey fought as well as he ran, we wouldn’t need to be here,” Foulques said.

“If he is not here, then he likely sits with his army in Vendome,” Guilhem said.

“Then we should finally move there and crush him,” the younger Robert said. “As we wished to do earlier. Now that we have taken Angers, we can end this resistance with a victory there.”

“I would think you would have learned by now, boy” the older Robert said.

The younger Robert lowered his head. “I apologize father. What would you council?”

The duke nodded. “Saumur does not possess a large wall like Angers. We could easily sack it in a few days. The men could use with some good plunder. This keep has… disappointed.”

Guilhem nodded. “I agree Saumur should be our next target but would prefer we lay siege. As it is not a keep it should surrender within a month or two.”

“Meanwhile valuable time is wasted,” Duke Robert said. “We could sack the town and destroy Geoffrey’s remaining force twice over in the time it takes to starve them out.”

“May I remind you, Duke Robert, that my men provide the bulk of our army,” Guilhem said. “You would throw their lives away so freely?”

“They came to fight, not wait for people to starve until giving up,” Robert said. “Let them have at it. And really, Guilhem, you have the most men in the realm. Surely you can spare a few.”

Foulques knew where this argument was headed and was about to open his mouth to interrupt. But he did not need to - a man hurried into the hall, before being stopped by two guards. After promising important news, he was allowed entry, though kept under watchful eye of Amaury.

“My lords, word from Normandy,” the man began. “William of Normandy has won the crown of England!!”

English_Normandy.jpg

“Truly?” Duke Robert asked. “The bastard has managed it?”

“Is the king of England… what was his name,” Foulques asked. “Dead?”

“Harold Godwinson lives, but is prisoner to William,” the man said.

Guilhem chuckled. “It appears even a Norman bastard has claimed a crown before you Robert.”

“Mind your words,” Robert said. “Or I may make you regret uttering them.”

“Bold words Robert,” Guilhem said. “Which is about all you do well at these days.”

“If you wish action, then say so,” Robert said. “I warn you though, since the days of Clovis, we Franks usually enjoy putting you southern fools back in your place.”

“This is not necessary, father,” the younger Robert said. “We can all agree the Bastard getting the English crown is trouble for us all. We should save our aggression for if we are drawn into war with him.”

The old duke smirked. “He won his crown. Now let’s see him keep it.”

“Part of the reason I have brought us together,” Foulques started, “was to counter the Bastard. It is something to consider - if perhaps we can work together in the future to ensure his power is checked.”

“And if checking his power involves taking Maine, you would not object,” Robert said. He turned to his son. “Your half-brother is not as clever as he thinks himself to be.”

“It is not my intention to be clever,” Foulques said. “It is my intention to win what I desire through war, as I do now. I haven’t a mind for politics or scheming. I do for battle.”

“As you say,” Duke Guilhem said.

“The news of the Bastard’s success is disheartening, but not our true concern,” Foulques said. “We must focus on winning this war, not a possible one in the future. I do agree a move against Saumur is our best course of action. Whether that is to lay siege to the city or storm it… it seems we are split. I say we reconvene in the morn to discuss the final course. A night of rest will do us all good.”

The men began to disperse, but Foulques pulled Duke Guilhem aside, into a small chamber. The count was remiss to do it - but he knew this was likely the best course, rather than waiting until the morning.

“I do not wish there to be any secrets between us, my lord,” Foulques said. “We are bonded through marriage after all.”

“What is this about then?” Guilhem asked.

“I have already made the decision on what to do next,” Foulques said. “We will sack Saumur.”

Guilhem narrowed his gaze. “It appears you listen to Robert’s council far more than mine. Perhaps you do not view me as strong an ally as he.”

“There is reason my lord,” Foulques said.

“Robert is motivated by greed,” Guilhem said. “Perhaps you are too young to remember his ways, but he seeks to plunder the town and enrich himself, as he has always done in these matters. However, this time he is free to use my men to do so and you would grant him that.”

“My stepfather’s motives are his own,” Foulques said. “I am not his vassal, nor are you. We both act on our own free will, which is why I felt necessary to tell you why I do as I do. Otherwise, I would understand if you did not back our decision with your knights.”

“And your reasons are?”

“I wish to end this conflict as quickly as possible,” Foulques said. “My spymaster reports Geoffrey attempts to reconcile with the church. If he does, we shall lose our reason for the war, and be forced to end it, giving back our gains.”

“I cannot imagine he would have much success,” Guilhem said.

“I could,” Foulques said. “The church wishes to see the man humbled. If he is desperate enough, Geoffrey will throw himself on the mercy of the clergy.”

Guilhem nodded. “That is a concern.”

“And it is not the only one,” Foulques said. “There is still his Norman wife and the Normans have finished conquering England. They are free to turn their attention to us if they so choose.”

“She is not even the daughter of a count,” Guilhem said. “You fear needlessly. I doubt her uncle intervenes, let alone the Bastard. He has greater concerns - he may have won England but keeping it is another matter. Those Saxons will not take kindly to a Norman overlord.”

“I know he is up to something,” Foulques said. “You, as marshal to the king, have no doubt heard he seeks to increase council power in the realm.”

“He does,” Guilhem said. “But he has little support.”

Geoffrey_faction_leader.jpg

“It is not whether he succeeds against the king or not,” Foulques said. “Because he will not. But he should be seeking to avoid the ire of the king, given his situation. Yet he makes waves. There must be a reason for it. He seeks someone’s favor, be it the church, the Bastard, or another lord.”

“I feel you jump at shadows,” Guilhem said.

“Perhaps I do. Yet it is still a risk I prefer not to take,” Foulques said. “We could take Saumur at the cost of a few hundred men. If the Normans or another lord intervene, more will die. Do you wish to stake their lives to such a bet?”

Guilhem pinned Foulques with his gaze. “You do not care about my men.”

“I do not,” Foulques said. “But you claim to.”

Guilhem’s gaze did not leave Foulques, but his lips formed a wry smile. “Very well. We shall do things your way. I do hope you remember my graciousness in the future my dear brother. After all, the south of the realm can be even more unsettled than the north. The king’s authority is worth as much as your brother’s down there. Disputes often come to blows.”

“I have no concerns,” Foulques said. “With the combined force of our armies, we will have no difficulties dealing with the Duke of Toulouse, or any unruly vassals.”

“It is funny you speak of the Duke of Toulouse,” Guilhem said. “For the Duke is set to be wed – to Constance, your step sister.”

Foulques paused. “I admit, I was unaware. Once I knew Robert would not marry her to Geoffrey, she no longer occupied my thoughts.”

“You would be wise to keep abreast to your allies as well as your enemies,” Guilhem said. “But I mention it just so you know you may need to choose who you keep friends with. And I should hope it is with me rather than that old fool.”

“I will honor our alliance,” Foulques said. “You may have no doubts about that.”

“Good,” Guilhem said. “Then, if there’s nothing more, I shall see you in the morn, where, I shall mention I have reconsidered and do believe the attack on Saumur is our best strategy.”

Foulques’ eyebrows rose.

“Just so that there are no secrets between us,” Guilhem said as he left the room.

Foulques let loose a small sigh. That could have gone worse... but it could have gone better.

Constance’s marriage to the Duke of Toulouse had escaped his attention. And it could pose a great deal of problems.

Not only would it potentially splinter his alliance, his half-siblings had claims on Anjou and Tours. He wouldn’t put it past one of them to work to take it from him – and the Duke of Toulouse would make a powerful ally. At least, he realized, Guilhem did still require his aid.

And then there was the Bastard. Foulques had intended on making a play for Maine. He hoped William would lose to the English king, and with the Duke of Normandy weakened, Foulques could turn his allies on him.

But now? William could call the full might of England behind him. Surely that would be more than even Foulques and his allies could fight against, even if the count succeeded in his ambition to seize control of all three counties in the duchy of Anjou.

Foulques cursed under his breath.

Even as things go well, dark clouds are always on the horizon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well Foulques is not completely hopeless on the diplomatic front, but it is true that he lacks the smoothness of a true diplomatic. As he says, his own talents lie elsewhere.

I did have to chuckle though at the following exchange.

“It is not my intention to be clever,” Foulques said. “It is my intention to win what I desire through war, as I do now. I haven’t a mind for politics or scheming. I do for battle.”

“As you say,” Duke Guilhem said.
What makes this little exchange so delightful is how Foulques appears not to notice exactly what it is that Duke Guilhem has said - and why would he? I imagine the Duke though smiling - at least internally - at this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
With his membership in the faction, Geoffroy might cling on to some other hopes - council members to interfere, or even the king... though it may be too late for that.

While I'm only chiming in right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying how it is going. Keep it up. :) And as it is the initial setup and war, the pace fits very well.

I'm quite enjoying Robert the elder and his sense of humor, as well as the banter between him and Duke Guilhem :)

Folques shows that he's no slouch when he puts his mind to it -- but as @stnylan (and, admittedly, the man himself) have pointed out, he's clearly much more in his element when he has a clear enemy in front of him. Relying too much on his ducal allies to see him through his conflict might end up being just like relying on quicksand to give you a sure footing -- and perhaps end just as messily.

Well Foulques is not completely hopeless on the diplomatic front, but it is true that he lacks the smoothness of a true diplomatic. As he says, his own talents lie elsewhere.

I did have to chuckle though at the following exchange.

What makes this little exchange so delightful is how Foulques appears not to notice exactly what it is that Duke Guilhem has said - and why would he? I imagine the Duke though smiling - at least internally - at this.

Yup. Foulques was so focused on defending himself (and dealing with the argument) he completely missed it. I would say Guilhem has plenty of confidence he can handle Foulques. (Though Robert and Foulques, if it came to pass, might be another matter- hence his concern here)

With his membership in the faction, Geoffroy might cling on to some other hopes - council members to interfere, or even the king... though it may be too late for that.

While I'm only chiming in right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying how it is going. Keep it up. :) And as it is the initial setup and war, the pace fits very well.

I've been impressed by the AI at times managing to weasel out of certain defeat in my wars before, so Geoffrey being up to something that would let him off with those factions, yeah, there were a lot of possibilities there.

Thanks for the feedback! I believe you are right and time will move a little faster when this war and its fallout concludes.

I'm quite enjoying Robert the elder and his sense of humor, as well as the banter between him and Duke Guilhem :)

Folques shows that he's no slouch when he puts his mind to it -- but as @stnylan (and, admittedly, the man himself) have pointed out, he's clearly much more in his element when he has a clear enemy in front of him. Relying too much on his ducal allies to see him through his conflict might end up being just like relying on quicksand to give you a sure footing -- and perhaps end just as messily.

I enjoyed Robert and Guilhem as well. I imagine Robert as being rather cocky, having essentially gotten concessions out of two kings in his lifetime. But Guilhem rightfully should be confident too - he is arguably the most powerful man in France. They work well playing off each other.

As for relying on those dukes having drawbacks, it has happened in other games of mine. Does it happen in this one? We'll see...;)

Reactions:
Chapter 8 - September 1067
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 8
September 1067 - Vendome, France

Foulques found himself seated in Angers.

Taken up in his position as the Duke, he stood in judgement of his brother Geoffrey. The older brother was on his knees, bound in chains, with barely enough dignity to look up and face his younger brother.

“My lord!”

Foulques turned to his wife. Beatritz was practically glowing – they said being with child did such things to a woman. She nodded for him to proceed. But how to go about so? Did he merely lock Geoffrey in the dungeons, and lose the key? Did he dare execute his brother and gain the same kinslayer mark as his stepfather? Or would he show mercy and let Geoffrey go?

“My lord!”

Foulques again looked to Beatritz, only to find her not there. Instead his older sister Hildegarde stood, also with child, looking upon him with disapproval. When he turned to his other side, his mother Ermengarde was present, also shaking her head.

Before him, Duke Guilhem and Robert stood, laughing, as Geoffrey rose from his bounds. He came at him with a sword, and Foulques found himself slow to react. He tried to parry the blows, but an impending sense of doom overwhelmed him, seconds before one of Geoffrey’s strikes found his mark.

“My lord!”

Foulques jerked up from his sleep. He was on the ground of his tent - the walls of Angers were nowhere to be found. Neither were Beatritz, Hildegarde, Ermengarde, Geoffrey or the dukes. Instead, there was only Louis, the red-headed, bearded courtier from Tours.

“My lord,” Louis said. “Geoffrey’s forces mean to treat.”

The count shook off his nightmare. “Where are they?”

“A mile away from camp my lord,” Louis said. “They come under a flag of truce.”

Foulques nodded. It could be a trap – a last desperate play from Geoffrey. Could that be what his dream had foretold?

Regardless, he was not craven. He would see what his brother wanted.

Surrender would make the most sense. Saumur had been sacked weeks before with the loss of just over 200, allowing Foulques to turn his army back toward Vendome. His force had won the initial skirmish at Cloyes over the forces there, with Guilhem and Robert’s forces arriving yesterday to turn it to a rout. Geoffrey had not been among the dead – not a surprise given that it was rumored he was not even among those who fought.

Victory_at_Saumur.jpg

Battle_of_Cloys.jpg

Rout_at_Cloyes.jpg

However, Foulques was no fool. When the time came, he, his half-brother, Duke Guilhem, and Amaury rode out with their men just a few hundred paces behind, just in case of treachery. The older Robert has departed after Saumur to attend his daughter Constance’s wedding.

A small force was arrayed on the other side of the plain – it could not been more than a few hundred men at most. A few men on horseback rode out to greet them. Foulques recognized the man in front – the Baron de Cholet.

“Thank you for agreeing to treat,” the baron said upon reaching them.

“Where is my brother?” Foulques demanded.

“In truth, my lord,” de Cholet began, “I do not know. He abandoned us as we retreated from Cloyes. He even left his wife behind.”

“That should remove any fear the Normans will aid him,” Guilhem said.

“Aye,” de Cholet said. “His Norman family will not approve of his actions, if he runs there.”

“He will not,” Guilhem said. “If he has any wits.”

“No matter,” Foulques said. “Why have you called this meeting? Do you continue to fight on or will you acknowledge me as your liege lord?”

“That is the reason for this,” de Cholet said. “I command the remaining forces of Angers. And the men who represent Count Bouchard’s regents are here as well. They are in agreement – your brother has failed in his duty and we are no longer obligated to pay him homage. Instead, we would do so to you, my lord.”

“Then you and your men may return safely to their homes and to their wives and families,” Foulques said. “My quarrel was never with them, or you, it was just with my brother.”

“You are most gracious,” de Cholet said. “I am sure they will be grateful for such mercy.”

“You did your duty,” Foulques said. “And I look forward to performing mine.”

With that the men turned and rode back to their respective armies.

“Congratulations, my lord,” Guilhem said.

“And I thank you for your assistance,” Foulques said. “It will not be forgotten. All of you.”

With a smile Foulques took the standard of Tours and Anjou and rode up and down the ranks in front of his men, shouting “victory!”, with Amaury and Robert following close behind.

As the cheers and shouts rained down upon him, Foulques struggled to remember a moment that left him as proud.

He had done it.

Foulques_usurps_title.jpg

….

A few hours later, Foulques poured out cups of wine in his command tent - one for himself and one for his half-brother. Robert took it with a grin as the two clanged their cups together.

“I notice we do not have Duke Guilhem present,” Robert said as he sipped his wine.

“I shared a glass with the Duke earlier,” Foulques admitted. “And there will be time as we ride back to Tours. He will wish to see his sister before he returns to Bordeaux. However, I needed to share in the celebration privately with my favorite brother.”

Robert chuckled at that. “But I do not give you a duchy, as Geoffrey has!”

Foulques raised his glass to that. “It is unfortunate your father could not be here for the end of the conflict. But I suppose it is hard to delay weddings with the Duke of Toulouse.”

Robert smirked. “Especially when the bride is practically bursting with child.”

Foulques eyebrows rose. “Your sister?” Robert nodded. “I had no idea.”

“It is a well-guarded secret,” Robert said. “The Duke had visited with my older brothers while father was away. During that time, he bedded Constance. She hid that fact - not even father knew until she shamefully confessed.”

“Her belly became too big to hide?” Foulques asked.

“Possibly,” Robert said. “Father thinks Constance too simple to think of a plan to conceal such matters for long.”

Foulques let loose a chuckle. Though, in some regards he found himself envious. He had no idea his step sister was so fertile, while the only place Beatritz was with child was in his dreams...

No… his alliance with Duke Guilhem had been worth it thus far. And he remained confidence it would help him in the future.

“What did your father do upon learning the truth?” Foulques asked.

“You remember when he let loose that tirade?” Robert asked. “But would not reveal what it was about, though I assured you had no part in it? That was when he learned.”

“I see,” Foulques said. “I can imagine his words for the duke.”

“He had to be measured, given he wished to the marriage,” Robert said.

“It appears he has succeeded,” Foulques said.

“Yes, but not without some difficulties,” Robert said. “Months passed and the duke would not budge. It wasn’t until mother apparently threatened to reveal the duke the father of the child, if he did not agree, that there was a breakthrough. The duke at first thought her bluffing, but mother reminded him that Constance is merely her step-daughter, and it would not reflect poorly upon her reputation if Constance was shown unchaste.”

Foulques laughed. “Mother will be cowed by no man.”

“That she will not,” Robert said. “Thus she convinced the duke to marry Constance. Since father could not attend then, it was done in secret, with mother and my eldest brother Henri witness, as to make sure it would be done before the child was born. Now they have a more public celebration, where mother, father, and my other siblings attend.”

“And you do not,” Foulques said.

“Someone has to command father’s armies,” Robert said.

“Is that the true reason?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Robert said. He paused. “And no.”

The young man poured himself another cup of wine and sat on a stool. “Sometimes I envy you brother. You are by yourself in Tours. You need not deal with having your father and mother watch over you, your brothers look at you with suspicion, all the while they all scheme to stab each other in the back.”

Foulques sipped his drink. “You realize, brother, the war you have just taken part in.”

“I would prefer if my father and my other brothers did as you and Geoffrey,” Robert said. “Line up their men on a field of battle and see who is the strongest - to the winner, Burgundy.”

“And you would see yourself as the winner,” Foulques said.

Robert shrugged. “Perhaps. Perhaps not. But it is preferable to this skulking.”

“Then perhaps you should depart,” Foulques said. “You have talent. I’m certain another court would have need of your services.”

“If an invitation were to come,” Robert said. “Perhaps I would consider it.”

Foulques knew Robert would likely join him in Anjou if he asked. But he was reminded of Amaury’s warning. Friendly though he may be now that would likely change over time.

And then there was his dream. If perhaps Geoffrey was not the one to betray him, could it be Robert?

“I’m sure one will come in time,” Foulques said. “Or perhaps fate will make it so that you find your way into land. Perhaps a marriage.”

Robert’s eyes dimmed as he took a large gulp of his drink. “Perhaps, brother.’

Foulques felt a pang of guilt. He did wish to give his brother a position. He could make him a commander, or marshal.

But Amaury was right - it was not worth the risk. In time Robert would grow to desire the county. Whether he would work against him in the shadows, as he claimed to hate, or challenge him openly, in some ways, was irrelevant. And there would be no more dangerous place for Robert than in Foulques court, where he could gain allies and weaken him from within.

Meanwhile, Foulques had to worry about setting up the administration in his new duchy. Geoffrey’s mismanagement would need to be corrected. All while dealing with the potential threat to the north in the Normans, the threats within the realm, and any desires he had to expand.

No, Foulques had enough to worry about now. His brother would have to make his own way.

Maybe in time, we can be allies again, Foulques thought.

The new duke gave a slight shake of the head. He knew such thoughts were likely nothing more than a dream - while a nightmare was far more likely.

Geoffrey_hates_Foulques.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A very good dream sequence. It took me a moment to work out what was going on. Very well written indeed.

And now success. What will Foulques do Now, one wonders.

Reactions:
subbed!

So Geoffroy fled eastwards... the HRE or Poland (this county's CoA is not the most memorable one :p), so as long as the French crown is secure, Foulques shouldn't fear him too much.