• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi all! I´m OOL but I tried the MOD yesterday and found that the spanish translation is not available. Was it delayed?

Thank you for your attention and keep up the great work :D
The mod works in Spanish, but translating it all is very slow, some things like Deities we have managed to translate, but not the mission trees, all mechanics should be in Spanish though.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You are right but I think that at least they can mod warscore costs so that you can take everything you occupied
terrible idea. The AI ranks what theyre losing based on warscore (this behavious is unmoddable) and youre basically asking to reduce warscore costs dramatically... the AI will then peace out for vast amounts of land and not recognise how stupid of a move it is. Or if they beat the player, they will ask for vast amounts of land which will feel terrible for the player and lead to a gameover instead of a vengeance story.

In addition, you only think this because of Alexanders conquest, which is adequately modelled with the diadochi conquest changes in the mod already. The idea that you can just take absolutely everything is incredibly ahistorical. it happend like... a couple of times, vs the countless wars where it absolutely, undoubtedly did not occur.

Your suggestion is neither historically based or gameplay based.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Important message from the development team of Imperator Invictus :
We are aware that this announcement will cause you frustration and we are absolutely sorry for this but unfortunately there will be a delayed DD today since this week you should expect a beefy DD.

• 4Like
Reactions:
terrible idea. The AI ranks what theyre losing based on warscore (this behavious is unmoddable) and youre basically asking to reduce warscore costs dramatically... the AI will then peace out for vast amounts of land and not recognise how stupid of a move it is. Or if they beat the player, they will ask for vast amounts of land which will feel terrible for the player and lead to a gameover instead of a vengeance story.

In addition, you only think this because of Alexanders conquest, which is adequately modelled with the diadochi conquest changes in the mod already. The idea that you can just take absolutely everything is incredibly ahistorical. it happend like... a couple of times, vs the countless wars where it absolutely, undoubtedly did not occur.

Your suggestion is neither historically based or gameplay based.
I don’t think that because of Alexander conquest but because in all ancient history there wasn’t a single case of a nation after they conquered every enemy city and destroyed every enemy army decide to peace out annexing only 1/10 of the occupied territory and also without any other conditions (it is impossible in the game right now). Historically a nation after winning a war would have taken every conquered land since it didn’t make any sense to return it to the enemy.
Also it seems that in your opinion warscore is an historically valid mechanic and it not should be replaced by actual mechanics that simulate the difficulty of annexing too much land.
Finally it is obviuous that AI needs a rework but I don’t have any experience with modding so I don’t know to what extent it is possible.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
DD11: Cyrenaica part 2/4 + Hotfix
Dev Diary 11: Cyrenaica part 2 + latest hotfix
Today we’ll be talking about part 2 (of 4) of Cyrenaican content coming in the future.
At the end of the DD, you can find the latest patch notes from the hotfix on Sunday.

Hi, I’m Torugu and I’m back for the second development diary about the new Cyrenaica content coming to Invictus. This time I will be talking about (most of) the remaining three mission trees that constitute the main Cyrenaica missions.

Last week I promised that we had something very special planned for Cyrenaica’s independence from Egypt. Before we get to that though, I’ll have to introduce you to the “main character” of the first couple of decades of your Cyrenaica campaign: Magas of Cyrene.

OarVmqcljtq2DXChbvR24Z-h2PEIsZIlLYGM-HF6WjRE8EH_n55Lh5yes7Ogg8V3H8FSxbTCEEccNvc2lcLxwC0to0f93Cx7ehCiaa2c3U5ycJtS-1XEmFcUhuwd6eb522rf9JMz

Magas starts the game in Egypt as the son of Ptolemy’s wife Berenike – though he himself does not have Lagid blood since his father was Berenike’s first husband, an unimportant officer in Alexander’s army. Despite being often overlooked today, Magas was very much amongst the inner circle of the Diadochi, in no small part because his mother appears to have been very good at placing her children in positions of power: Shortly after the start date of the game, his full sister Antigone would marry Pyrrhos of Epirus, his second sister likely married Agathokles of Syracuse, and his half-brother by Ptolemy I would supersede his older siblings and inherit the Egyptian throne as Ptolemy II.

But of course the reason why I’m talking about Magas here, is that just after the start of the game, Ptolemy I appointed Magas as governor of Cyrenaica. Eventually though, “governor” would cease to be enough for Magas. Thus, after the death of Ptolemy I, Magas would marry a daughter of Antiochus of the Seleucid Empire (the heir of Seleukos I) and with Seleucid support declare independence as King of Cyrenaica. The kingdom of Cyrenaica did not last long after Magas’s death – it was absorbed back into Egypt when Magas’s daughter and heir married Ptolemy III – but in some ways, Magas’s dynasty would. Ptolemy III’s marriage to Magas’s daughter started the Ptolemaic tradition of marrying close female relatives, and thus every Ptolemaic ruler after Ptolemy III is also a direct descendant of Magas.

With the history lecture out of the way (you have my apologies for the length, but I thought it was important to set the scene), here is how this all plays out in game:

The Queen’s Firstborn

This is the first Cyrenaican mission tree and the only one that will be available until it is completed. It is divided into three parts:

nocYP80fbv2ta5Gi3GPJdeIjHKJbAaGOXvE5D1pRrHQq9PpFQxs4SWPwQxl2HGr29JMiP1HJr3k9debARqKRfdS7q-3j4Q0l26WL_6ANViBFZSoxTFr0s7aljy5YqHhxBBM5TgH5

(in fact the tree is so big, I may decide to split it in two and make the orange part a separate tree)

The Beginning

The first part of the tree deals with Cyrenaica’s fate as a subject of Egypt. Cyrenaica starts the game as independent, having slipped out of Egyptian control due to the events surrounding Ophellas’ death (see last week’s DD for more info). However, the very first mission starts an event chain that will make it an Egyptian subject and Magas the ruler.

PbGRS2HMhKmoFyeNpx1wDlZQvfHIa5q1-tOHF4LBTzw89NiEvKcpTFaJZeqa1Jiay-XKSt3jrxkx-yIbUx2_Sd7RucjlaGvHzojzaV0mBz6rfedTNIukoepSRiMuAliTk7j9_gcJ

You’ll have to stay a subject for a while, since that obviously means you are very limited in your foreign policy, the tree provides you with several tasks regarding the internal management of Cyrenaica. On the left side you are asked to make a choice on how to treat the Libyan natives that are still living alongside the Cyrenaican Greeks. Peaceful coexistence is the longer road (you will have to get your civ level to the point where the barbarian strongholds in the south of Cyrenaica start disappearing), but rewards you with free pops and useful bonuses.

4Kx0GFp2wKZcSU21md3MIF5OcY4Lm9K_nHS5L-gZBM-V6Fql-3rqOXZ1vgE4dJzUAjN24kIJ2r5A5oufxJ2jCoi03Oqcm4wD94D7v8vKCkJwlktCXs5vOC6H8JO6vEXMvZnOt8o4

On the other hand, suppressing the Libyan by military force will be much more quick and may assimilate some of the more civilized Libyans instantly – but the Libyans are not likely to go down without a fight.

Both choices also have something a little bit special as a reward for completing them. The peaceful branch is a requirement for several unique events throughout the other mission trees. The “special feature” of the suppression branch is still a secret for now (look forward to part 3).

j79_XmhBsFpFA1o7S4xvnq-HTKujMA1Vad4IziA_xQ4bvp78Qh9LpowXc-hv0FnfkCyQ_UqL2qHbZIimai0bGNWlCw3A7m66p6pk6p5WU7sxDuMl6NG6Ii8t_SsDrAeUDL-iHjWL

The right half of the first part of the mission tree has tasks that are intended as preparation for the later branches of the mission tree, and will usually want to choose them based on the choices you plan to make later.

eIrmq4WB6V4dmR4jJfBSIJG4ExLMg7psy4eXOlZsbz6h_upFYjqofhAff2z1sfW-urwMiq23nId-o63RRks_UIH8B-rMiZz1D_0OiI0tnpq_YwqlfuseZdn_JTRFnCOHyd5LFqjc

The Death of Ptolemy

As long as Ptolemy is alive, you will have to remain an obedient subject (you could declare independence manually if you really wanted to but doing so will bypass the entire tree). Once Ptolemy is dead though you have the opportunity to make your move. You have the choice between two paths: Either, follow Magas’s historical path and become independent or attempt to overthrow Ptolemy’s legitimate heir and claim all of Egypt for yourself.

9bHXPjObj9-hs69ycWphRDgnwVuT_TddOqswNK92X8PFf2g6qTor-N-4gOGVPE9SYldAHVnVFKUfY9bxDW5NjorBmmMBINxbQXjOMpf_b73_fFYSmISHLC393I2aZ3HT5pogbDPp

Should you get stuck on one of the earlier missions the game will even give you the choice to skip the first part of the tree

Independence for Cyrenaica

This path leads you along the historical path towards Cyrenaican independence. (This path is required to unlock all other main Cyrenaica missions.) The first step in the process is loosening your ties with Egypt: Completing the mission “Take Control of Foreign Affairs” will change you from a Feudatory – which can be annexed and called into war – into a Colony (the same subject type that Athens gains if it decides to remain an Antigonid subject via the vanilla missions).

rfVSHhpYKQ1MtaRjKTwspJxWprIGtGZ5GjwxgVsDSqNEUH0KKAUvQ5UeUk0urtGy-BKgnUAHkrvk5gTm8jSx_DM0IJ-eo2bTjseXXJCmu640kkE-dNKp_oMzMcxuDGZGPrhOb4mn

Next you are given the opportunity to seal an alliance with one of the major Hellenistic powers by entering a royal marriage. Unfortunately, Magas’s historical wife isn’t born yet when the game starts, but if you choose to ally with the Seleucids the code will do its best to find the closest existing character to the historical Apama II.

Once your preparations are finished, you can use the War of Independence task to start a war against Egypt. This war will be made a little bit easier by the fact that the game considers Egypt to be the aggressor in this war.

c7Js268ZryTM5LJD3CsnqWCxp3tqCXCLW7Gb_tnVhu8ZAyhVMgA4f4Dn4frtuWQXbIeOkMySsRJMboYEDQrFCi112AjaIDDAj-WmCsD3ajPGpi9FA1mUr-RqtEwIv0v7NpmZBF7v

Egypt for Magas

However, Magas might not be content with just Cyrenaica. As an alternative to the historical path, you can choose to push Magas’s (admittedly flimsy) claim on Egypt itself. We decided to include this branch for two reason:

1) It reinforces the close link between Cyrenaica and Egypt during the time period. Historically, Cyrenaica was often drifting in and out of the Egyptian sphere of influence, and it is often difficult to say whether it was an integral part of Egypt or a subject under the rule of a side branch of the Ptolemies.

2) This gives us the opportunity to represent some of the civil wars that often ravaged Ptolemaic Egypt in a way that is fun and interactive for the player. In fact, many of the missions in this branch are inspired by the civil war between Ptolemy VIII, Ptolemy VI and Cleopatra III. (Ptolemy VIII ruled from Cyrenaica for a time before regaining control over Egypt.)
However, unlike aforementioned Ptolemaic claimants, Magas’s claim to the throne is very weak: He may be the son of the Queen, but he is not related by blood to Ptolemy himself. Thus Magas will have to secure Claim Support if he wants to have a chance to take control of Egypt.

Claim Support is a new mechanic that’s unique to the coup branch of the Cyrenaican missions. Claim support can be gained by fulfilling mission tasks, through events, and through special decisions and character interactions. Following the mission tree will net you some Claim Support, but to have a fighting chance in the civil war that’s about to come you will need to convince provinces and characters to join your side. This can be done via special decisions (for the provinces) and via a special character interaction (for characters).

JKI-3SLcwtQR8bf28R8lj4sU53VJdGdmY9Vqh0qiARc8KZD4b2HeZNgM__HI-3uPo6nmhzPhMX-q0nb0MLKc_lHd5TIKBoU3OanzQyr8d7dEObARUIKwHI6RtwBLztubOzvwm9kD

Recruiting a governor is expensive, but may be well worth the cost.

Once you take the decision/character interaction the target will ask you for something in return for their support.This could be a simple lump sum of money, a request to throw a character’s rival out of your coup faction, or a number of other things. If you satisfy the province/character you will receive an amount of Claim Support relative to the importance of the target. Characters will also join your side once war breaks out, provinces will be more likely to join though they might not if your overall coup support isn’t high enough.

HAMV1KhtSw4Ido1kARbtoooL2-TR2MeT620EtQxssAmzFScQYDw4EyFhGMvxhVX94DvwaJ15NSXhSpdrEFes4MCWsNVlkzqomEpFaFe1C-BlRM6Ww-mGeokLF1jOTK7fUJAxYd2j

There is one way for you to get a significant amount of coup support with relatively little effort: Promise to install a better claimant as your co-ruler. You can try to win the support of one of the adult sons of Ptolemy, though they will be difficult to convince and may have their own ideas about how to rule the country. Alternatively, you can “convince” one of your younger (< 20 years old) half-siblings to join your cause by weaseling them away in the night. Note that both options will heavily favour the historical heir, Ptolemy II, if he is not already the ruler and fulfills the other requirements.

Once all your preparations are complete, you may push your claim by starting a civil war. Doing so will make Cyrenaica part of Egypt with you as it’s ruler and will instantly start a civil war with the strength of your faction dependent on your Claim Support.

Winning the civil war will make Magas the undisputed ruler of Egypt. At least until your co-ruler comes of age (should you have chosen to appoint one)...

The Riches of Egypt

Of course, a coup is not the only way for Magas or his heirs to gain control of Cyrenaica. Should you decide to follow the historical path during the initial mission you will be given access to the “Riches of Egypt” mission tree. The Riches of Egypt covers expansion into Egypt as well as the struggle to take control of this rich and densely populated area. Due to the missions contained in this tree it will only be available to monarchies (so if you’re planning to become a republic through the political reform tree, you might want to complete this tree first).

gkb6NMwIZN3-S7S0fOID02Ao88zh9pdEiuE1p87AEfQiSIxhXrS9hRx2gyWhHegLRgaYMYw2mjKVhXClJ3SajTZZ-Jr_JAa2VvSY48pBqhswrSRhWCtdtZjexi8T93caMC9B_sIL

The left side of the tree covers your countries efforts to bridge the gap between Egypt and Cyrenaica by settling the barren borderlands and by expanding the caravan road that crosses the desert.
hu9tB6OVN4EwvU17mnqSYI8-gcpTmjlSxJnblUanjh_Z-3_fb6jaEzENVNjCDiUCL4sWBSrdhaNrNbI4SappWjLCXvOzOF92nSD7qvlE-SZTnFdnAu9zIFtkxSRz54eWo7tozsbn

The right-most branch focuses on the worship of Zeus Ammon - a Libyan deity that was extremely popular in both Cyrenaica and Egypt (as Amun). If you complete the tasks in this branch you will gradually adopt more and more of the Egyptian Pharaonic traditions which will make ruling Egypt easier - though it may upset some of the Greek citizens under your rule.

1veUdgUBvxcE8kEpNaSZZwfxTACgB44461NJcaNYDVtkGKGqJpJMeft6FZVciJOwFgP248l9InxYcdzc6Vu9Zvo1wL1-tLBpVBBAMk4jEb_DttvfxZL3piZOcwrTSGej6MjFAopl

Finally, the middle branch forms the core of the entire tree. Here you will have to conquer Lower Egypt and decide how to deal with Alexandria. Historically, Kyrene was an important factor in Alexandria’s rise as an intellectual centre (many of Alexandria’s most famous scholars were born and raised in Kyrene); while on the other hand the “brain drain” to Alexandria was an important factor in Kyrene’s slow decline. Now Cyrenaica will have the opportunity to do the same to Alexandria should you manage to capture the city.

JCwd3teqhQjp8WWQ8zTMGdhlYNIk_qwAs2Ur7E5Xz4M2efyUmUI-UHTPYBK9osUZ61zuX1v6H6mdp8MXiZTXA6pkFogrt-GarMU7zsZb4SmtV6EIgxgtNRbLQo2yJGtLukvaNHC9

If you capture Alexandria you may even have the chance to take back a “souvenir”

Finally, there is one thing that has always bothered me when conquering Egypt: I really don’t like how Egypt gets “split in two” when you conquer their capital region as another country. Often this forces you to either conquer all the way up the Nile, or to spend the rest of the game with a horrifically bisected Egypted. With Cyrenaica, I really wanted to avoid encouraging the player to conquer southern Egypt or Arabia (I envision Cyrenaica very much as a mediteranean power). So the final mission of this tree makes sure that Egypt is taken care of.

g2CM6ML_X5b1lQ5QcNYccbrM-NVYF2S43Xfd_mmzIKuNkjU7IVgUxcSkwayQGl0r-KWaj81oRxQcXNKuY1_nXjORfURyT9Tf-8cVa8VDAU6IHme3Sb7UXRNMUAQpXDk52w0No9lZ

The green area in the screenshot above indicates the territory you need to hold to trigger this event. There are two different events, that will trigger depending on whether Egypt holds more territory in Africa/Arabia or along the mediteranean coast. This is a difficult task to balance, and I’m very open to feedback regarding requirements etc.

The Jewel of Libya (Part 1)

The final - or rather part thereof - is about the Silphium trade. This is actually only half of the tree, but the other, non-Silphium-related half requires integration with another mod and that isn’t quite ready yet.

u2DSNL2LAzIbD_pzBDKN41hSdHH-0fCc00f9WaRGFNfnJN4jrftRcPTnimmxjs8hC-mIdmBE3IaZ1-sdHu1tcSPKcvIMFBseHCH5nBsAkt6XcwHNTV5AbZ4cCxDqysZsjqjzrSkP

As some of you may know, Silphium was Cyrenaica’s most valuable export. It was used both as a culinary herb and as a form of medicine. Of particular note is its use as a contraceptive - it was said to prevent pregnancy and induce abortions in pregnant women. (This claim is made credible by the fact that many of its modern extant relatives produce estrogen - meaning that Silphium might have worked as a form of hormonal birth control not unlike the modern pill.) Most importantly though, Silphium could not be cultivated and only grew naturally in Cyrenaica - meaning that Cyrenaica had a complete monopoly on this valuable resource.

Historically, overharvesting would eventually lead to the extinction of the plant - and it is widely believed, though difficult to prove, that the modern “heart” symbol originated when medieval Europeans misinterpreted drawings of Silphium in ancient manuscripts.
In game, the silphium trade is represented as a series of powerful bonuses to your economy, which you gradually stack up as you advance through the tree.

0nTTRYI6CPjDx1YtBWPIfVkdvUnOLVPJLK1szNDUyoIiuOKR_1QTYh-CeYTuygjczfeWRQxjVVtHKlX9lLurrxKYQaN3kzEOwYYXrJxME5yq5pJCZt-jQJ8ixB9m596OO-mVOeny

You will also gain several new sources of spices

One of my personal favourite missions in this tree - though only indirectly related to Silphium - is the Harbour at Apollonia task. Historically, the city of Kyrene did not have a port, instead trade occurred through its harbour at Apollonia (Apollonia Kyrenaike in-game). Over the course of the game’s time frame Apollonia would go from “minor port town” to “one of the five most important cities of Cyrenaica”. To represent this change I have decided not to remove Kyrene’s port at game start. Instead, the task in this tree requires you to found a city and build a port in Apollonia. Once you have done so and completed the task, all existing port levels in Kyrene (max 5) will be removed and will instead be added to Apollonia. For each port moved in this fashion, Kyrene will gain a stacking modifier equal to the effect of one port building and two random pops will move from Kyrene to Apollonia.

HgoVS0V0CuVb5h0iXIjIIzfqOEGOg2DdJOcydu2uz0e44WsU4ZtSpuRYA89_RkTbGHDymH4fa2AbLPCwER4hhI8sDRbyUmIlhjW_bvPAxmZzhQsP84DruuPCWprECfPpgUqp8fqv

However, much like in real life, the blessings of silphium will not last forever. Several decades after you start the mission tree you will be given a warning that Silphium is growing more scarce. This unlocks a series of decisions that will make you pay for the “privilege” of nerfing your silphium related modifiers to something more reasonable. If you don’t complete the decisions in time… you will have to say goodbye to your contraceptive fuelled narco-state.

0AoaK2aNtpjzmaHgj993gLp_9RbAzX6XO_7hSSgxWj0RMS82Sx3SyqS_RsJa-1YVkGnOOnxK_gS5UPzYrfVdD6oIeBrU6B55SBr_1EB3wqfjcAJvCYET2zoM_ucPlC9QGo5hvclF

The extinction event chain is something we will have to balance carefully. My goal is to make sure that allowing extinction is a valid choice - maybe even the better one (objectively speaking, loss aversion is a powerful drug). But I also don’t want to make it impossible to avoid extinction. (Right now avoiding extinction is probably a bit too powerful). One thing that should help in this regard is that the player won’t know EXACTLY when the final extinction event triggers. Hopefully that will create a situation where you could avoid extinction, but you’re tempted to hold onto your powerful bonuses for juuuust a bit longer.

This is all I have to share for now, but look forward to part 3 of the Cyrenaica reveal. There is a lot more to come.

Now back to Snowlet: next week we will not be talking about Cyrenaica because it’s still in development and we have so much more content planned.
But don’t worry, I have a feeling that many people will be happy with our DD next week.

As people may be guessing, we’re building up to a major update but you’ll have to wait a bit more as we still have many DD’s with plenty of content planned before it would get released.

Now, the latest patch notes from the hotfix:
V1.0.2b - "Just the beginning" hotfix
- Translated new Iberian Deities to Spanish
(Spanish translation is under heavy development but it takes very long. It's like translating a book but almost every word has to be googled because it’s obscure history.)
- Updated French Translation for Israel Formable
- Fixed a lot of bugs with the Macedonian trees
(Basically tooltips and checking some wrong provinces)
- Fixed Argead tech not appearing
(You can find it in the religious tree on the right part if you have the Argead bloodline on your ruler)
- You now only get the Lighthouse mission if you have the Antipatrid bloodline, not all Macedonian trees like before
(Previously you got all the Macedonian trees which totally broke the game, but the lighthouse one is still possible so anyone with the bloodline can build up Macedon proper.)
- Fixed a bug where League of Corinth doesn't properly annex small subject states

Finally I have some news about the Dev Clash, next sunday on the 1th of August, there will not be a Dev Clash because a lot of people are absent, the session will be delayed by a week.

(Fun fact: this is the longest DD we’ve written and originally, the plan was to include everything left related to Cyrenaica but it would be twice as long as it is now so we decided against it.)

• 30Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
Wouldn't have minded a even longer dev diary, especially one filled with interesting and innovative mechanics like this one. Thank you for your hard work!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will Improved Buildings 2.0 and Bigger Government - More Offices & Laws ever be added into and integrated within this mod? Same goes for Alis Ubbo, Seven Sages, The College of Pontiffs, and English version of ‎Until the end of the world‎ mod? Also would like to see Hibernia filled out.

Also will you add in cultural families for for some of pre/Paleo European groups like the Etruscans(much of Northern Italy and Italic people) and Sardinians(more of inland and and other Western Mediterranean Islands)? Along with a tradition tree for the Germanic group?

Etruscans and Italic people are not Latins or Romans. The Romans were basically Hellenized Latins. Kind of like how Alexander and his father Macedonia might have been originally closer to their Thracian or tribal neighbors before voluntarily Hellenizing themselves due to trade and eventual conquest of their more developed and established Greek neighbors. Even among Thracian elite Greek was becoming increasingly the language and "high" culture of choice. Many tribal societies or even early settled people are sometimes inclined to complete acculturation if not straight up assimilation when neighboring more influential cultural sphere.

The Latins and native people in Southern Italy might have been more like their Italic neighbors to north before they became increasingly Hellenized often through continued exchanges to point they identify more with the Greeks then some Italic people even if they still consider themselves their own cultural group. Sicily should be mix of Greek, Punic, and Nuragic cultural family inland. Sicel I think is term for native pre Punic/Greek/Latin natives of Sicily which would just be inland group switching to Nuragic culture family.

The Raetic and Ligurian should be in the same culture family as Etruscan along with anything along the Italian northwest coast should be in that general Italic family. The Italic people in Venetic and Liburnian should either be in the Italic group with above or honestly separate family themselves. While not as Hellenized as Latins or Romans. at least Venetic people, they are more so Hellenized then most of their neighbors. But they also have more Celtic, Balkan, and even Germanic cultural influences due to its location.

Much of inland Po Valley should be Celtic at game start. The Raetic likely came in existence fleeing Celtic invasions of Po Valley centuries before so they do fall in Italic culture.

Modern historians often fail to contextualized how much Romanization completely reshaped numerous cultures and languages in these regions they took over. Some languages and cultures just die or faded with time under centuries of Roman rule because Latin language became more useful on daily basis and especially among elites to point some just ditch old language and even aspects of its culture at times("when in Rome they say). Modern historians often over generalize bunch of smaller tribal groups and their identities especially Germanic ones which is likely due to them wanting to avoid certain topics of culture and identity related to more modern history and politics(post modernism and critical theory of modern social sciences often make historians and academics too overly dismissive of cultural identities while they conduct their studies. Also bunch of race nonsense and biases in past two to three centuries has made ethnography harder field to study without biases, "twisting" of history by secondary sources, and for some reason some still get overly passionate about the results).

The saying "when in Rome do as Romans" was often true because if you acted Roman to them you were one. That is often how assimilation work and getting access to social mobility. Modern analyze/studies and research by people either oversimplify these tribal groups and empire/kingdoms or overthink it. The "noble savage" is trope and bit of generalization itself but early people often tended to be much more diverse then most nation states or even some places now. Each tribe had different customs, laws, traditions, personal deities, lifestyles and etc but often more inclined to acculturation and assimilation strongest cultural influences.

For example, Alexander the Great even as king of Macedonia did not impose or mainstream Greek language or "unified" it under that of his own regional dominion group but from Athens. His teacher was Aristotle and Athens for centuries was renown as academic and cultural center of Greek world while Macedonia was backwater that use to not even be considered Greek or "barely" was to point some almost got refused part in the Olympic games.

Rome and Greece are oddities when it comes to when they set up their cultural spheres. Most did it rather early like Bronze Age or deeper. The Romans and Greeks were some of last but some of most impactful in doing so until rise of Islam which undid much of there cultural sphere later on

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hello, thank you for the best mod, at all. I've got a question about mission trees for Seleucids, there is no option to set Antiochia as capital? I have found the only possibility to set Seleukia as Med capital. Thank you.

1627896255640.png

Reactions:
Hello, thank you for the best mod, at all. I've got a question about mission trees for Seleucids, there is no option to set Antiochia as capital? I have found the only possibility to set Seleukia as Med capital. Thank you.

View attachment 745082
Currently the mission scopes to the wrong province, this is a vanilla bug that will be fixed next update, but it is however intended that Seleukeia Pieria becomes your capital, not Antigoneia which doesn't have a port.

Reactions:
DD12: Scythia and Sardinia (Part 1)
Dev Diary 12: Scythia and Sardinia (Part 1)
Today we’ll be talking about part 1 of Scythian and Sardinian content coming in the future.

Hello everyone, it's Eleran (OmegaCorps) and Hannibal_theCannibal (traced_169) back again to talk to you all about our next project. Following the good feedback we received from the 'Forgotten Children of Hellas' mission, we took the lessons learned and turned our attention to something a bit more focused and ambitious in scope, namely Scythia and her neighbours.

---Geographic and Game Start Changes---

In its base form, Scythia is an underperforming steppe tribe that is usually destined for either rapid defeat by its neighbours or, at best, relative obscurity. Scythia's lack of presence in the region and general lack of flavour is acutely felt, as any Scythian player will tell you. In addition to this, Scythia's capital is outside it's historical borders at game start and it's close relatives / rivals, the (archaeologically estimated) ‘Sarmatian’ successor tribes, the Iazyges and Roxolani, are absent from the base game - during the 3rd century, migrations stemming from eastern expansion pushed many step groups westwards, across the pontic-caspian steppe, forcing them into the originally 'Royal Scythian realm. To address this, we've undertaken a slight rework of the Taurica and Sarmatia regions of the map to estimate the general zones of habitation and control each tribe would have during this fluid period.

Before:
image7.png

After:
image6.png

A few changes should be immediately obvious: Scythia has been split effectively in two between Scythia proper to the west and the new tag, Iazyges, to the east. Scythia's new capital will be on the Dnieper River on the previously uncolonized province of "Ish", which will be renamed to Borysthenia in order to complement the selection of Greek names given to territories in this region. (Though we would have preferred to name the capital city in its original Scythian or even corresponding Greek name, sadly no surviving records are available to us.)

As Scythia's supposed royal residence/capital during and after the long and prosperous reign of king Ateas was a hub of both land and sea trade, we were looking into making the territory port-friendly and the adjacent river a useful trade route. The Iazyges will gain control of the port city of Tanais, which will serve as their capital.

‘Sarmatia’ has been renamed into Roxolania, as this group, along with several others, maintains materially ‘Sarmatian’ qualities but is referred to in recovered texts by a different name, having different rulers and migrating to separate parts of Dacia after the tribe has traversed the Pontic steppe. The Roxolani, and other tags with ‘Sarmatian’ as their primary culture, will have access to a decision to form "Sarmatia" and create the formidable nation which rivaled the Pontic Scythians in their rule of the Don river.

Before:
image5.png

After:
image2.png

In addition to the Scythians and Sarmatians, we're making some ‘slight’ changes to the territories north of the Caucasus mountains. A new tag we are inserting around the Volga river is the Aorsi tribe, a large and powerful tribe recorded by the Chinese as well as the Greeks, which has been downsized here to exist in-game but to block off colonial routes of expansion for those players who gravitate towards creating a massive tribal monster stretching across the northern border of the map.

Material evidence of the Siracians exists in a far wider range of the north caucasian land, and their presence seems to have included a much greater influence at game start than they currently maintain, matching the Sarmatians for size and controlling the valuable Kuban valley the Scythians once thrived in. Conversely, while the “Lezgi” people existed, their tribal strength and presence is poorly attested to during this period. What is known is that their group fit a caucasian-continuum style, differing from the steppe-based tribes; we have thus moved the Legian culture into the Caucasian culture group. Siracia will also be enlarged at Legia's expense. Lastly, in order to give the tough, mountain dwelling people of Albania a bit more staying power in the game’s long run, they'll also get a few territories from Legia on the west bank of the Caspian Sea.

This is what it looks like overall:
Before:
image8.png

After:
image3-png.745121

Our hope with these changes is to breathe a bit more life into the western steppe region, mimicking the success Invictus has had with Southern Iberia. Speaking of which, we also plan to give many tags in this region new heritages AND some slightly revised levy templates!

---Heritages---
Many of the steppe tribes in the base game are left with standard forest / mountain / pirate / etc. heritages, which tend to make you feel like you’re playing an unappreciated nation. While we are not adding dozens of missions and flavour events to every nation in the northern Black Sea region, we felt that the least we could do to give these nations some love and some amount of variety was to provide them with a fresh heritage that will help them to stand out. Perhaps you want the full Scythian package we plan to provide, and a fresh heritage is simply the cherry on top of massive content sundae. Perhaps you think you’re better than the Scythians, and you just want to toy with them as the Roxolani, outpacing them at every step with your massive movement speed modifiers. Or perhaps you really hate all these steppe groups riding around, and you play as the Maeotians, enjoying the show as those pesky hordes dwindle in size, suffering incredible attrition to the regrettably poor quality land you live on. Whatever your preference, we hope you can better pursue it with a new heritage.

Scythian Heritage
Horse Archer Discipline: +10.00%
Enslavement Efficiency: +10.00%
Unintegrated Culture Group Happiness: -3.00%
The Scythian horse-riders come from a long line of steppe nomads ranging across the steppe-lands from Hungary to Mongolia, but this specific group has been credited with such feats as assisting the sacking of Nineveh, ruling the country of the medes, and halting Persian King Darius’ invasion of Europe. It is no wonder they say the Athenians hired Scythians as a police force.

Iazygian Heritage
State Religion Happiness: +5.00%
Light Cavalry Morale: +10.00%
City Build Cost: +15.00%
Westernmost of the currently classified “Sarmatian” groups, the Iazyges were the first to ride through the old land of the declining Sythians long after the golden age of their King Ateas. Riding on horses shining with armor, wielding the long, two-handed kontos spear, they eventually crossed the Tyras as the Cimmerians had once done and lived in the land of the Dacians, fighting the locals and, soon enough, the invading Roman legions.

Roxolani Heritage
Unit Movement Speed: +20.00%
Global Food Modifier: +10.00%
Fort Maintenance: +10.00%
The second ‘Sarmatian’ group to cross the Dnieper after the Iazyges, the Roxolani were similar to those before them, riding well-armored horses and dominating the plains. After failing to conquer the Bosporans alongside the Scythians in the Crimea they moved on, past the Tyras, and entered Dacia/Moesia, coming into conflict with the natives and their Roman neighbors.

Siracian Heritage
Army Morale: +5.00%
Unintegrated Culture Happiness: +6.00%
Omen Power: -5.00%
Flavour text TBD

Maeotian Heritage
Hostile Attrition: -1.0
National Pop Growth: +0.05%
Pop Assimilation Speed: -5.00%
A diaspora of marsh-dwelling tribes, the Maeotians, collectively referred to after the nearby lake Maeotis (modern sea of Azov). Little is known/recorded about these peoples, but in a conflict with the Bosporan Kingdom and the Sindi, it is written that princess Tirgitao of the Ixomatae led a war against the Sindi and Bosporans due to her mistreatment as the Sindi king Hecetaeus’ wife.

Sindi Heritage
Unintegrated Culture Group Happiness: +6.00%
Light Infantry Discipline: +10.00%
Import Value: -5.00%
Often understood to be the ruling tribe of all the Maeotian tribes, this nation originally situated itself on the side of the Cimmerian Bosporus opposite of Bosporan Pantikapaion before being pushed back by Bosporan invasions and annexations. One of their kings, Hecetaeus, caused a great war, taking advice from the Bosporan archon, Satyros, to imprison his own wife and take a new one.

Aorsi Heritage
Global Commerce Income: +5.00%
War Score Cost: -5.00%
Civic Provincial Investment Cost: +15.00%
Recorded by both eastern (China) and western (Europe/American) sources as a powerful expansionist tribe, they performed a large part in the many series of westward migrations pushing from western central asia. They supposedly originated in central asia, moving west to cause the western 2nd BCE to 200 AD migrations multiple tribes experienced.

Chersonesan Heritage
Mercenary Maintenance Cost: -10.00%
Ship Damage: +5.00%
Cohort Loyalty chance: +10.00%
Chersonesus is a Greek colony, but the lands around it in all directions are Tauri, inhabited by those scythian-like men and women who play piracy upon Greek mercahtns, sailing from Kalos Limen. These are resourceful and unforgiving. people.

---Levy Templates---

Looking at the original setup for levies of the two main cultures in the areas we’ve been altering, the realm of the Scythian and Sarmatian tribes, we felt a redo was in order. Where the raising of a great horde of cavalry is something to look forward to each time the player or AI sets off on the warpath, the original templates for these cultures didn't quite capture that feeling. With the revised levy templates, both cultures will see a significant increase in cavalry and a corresponding reduction in infantry. Now, while open combat with an enemy force on favorable terrain like ‘plains’ or farmland will offer a distinct advantage, sieging or assaulting enemy forts will prove to be much more of a challenge due to the cavalry-heavy composition these nations now possess. Nomadic warfare tactics will force the player to be faster, strategic, and cunning in order to capitalize on your strengths and punish your enemies weaknesses.
image9.png

Not only will this region feature new borders, tags, heritages, and more historically accurate levy compositions, but we're also expanding the cultural content for these tags as well. New Heptadic deities, Scythian treasures, a new bloodline, and even two possible wonder decisions will add more content and choices to tags playing in this area. While all this extra content is still in development, we have a few deities that we feel comfortable showing off in this dev diary.

---Deities---

The Scythian / Sakan / Steppe groups of the period are recorded as maintaining a similar religious structure to the general Indo-Iranain concept of the major 7 deities, ordered in a system of hierarchy and fundamental importance - Tabiti/Fire at the top to represents heat, fire, and the hearth. The second tier contains Papaeus and Api, equating to the Greek Zeus and Gaia, sky and earth. The third rank contains: Targitaos, Goetosyrus, Argimpasa, and the 'Scythian Ares' (who we will be calling 'Patampasa'). These form the heptad, from which PDX gets the religious title for the goru; Heptadic. However, 7 gods (plus 1 regional god) for an entire religion that spans most of the Asian continent is not nearly enough.

We are using recounted Scythian mythology and Greek assimilations of their stories to add new gods to the game (however, this is very Scythia-centric, just like this whole DD, and we will be looking to see what other kinds of gods we can add in the future).

Patampasa - (Scythian Ares)
[War]
Passive Effect: Horse Archer Offense: +10.00%
Omen Effect: Army Experience Gain: +0.50%
Apotheosis Effect: Convert Pops --> Nobles
He is worshipped by each tribe annually when they burn a great pile of wood topped with a bloodied sword meant as a sign of tribal loyalty and commitment to the cosmological order. He is the god of conflict and ultimate victory, an analog to Iranian Verethragna.

Leipoxais -
[Culture]
Passive Effect: -10% change law change cost
Omen Effect: + global monthly civilization change value
Apotheosis Effect: +Civic Advances
The oldest son of Targitaos, he is one of the three who is unable to touch the golden gifts from the heavens without them bursting into flames, and he is relegated to the lower kingship in the tripartite royal hierarchy. The Scythians recount him as siring the Auchatae tribe. In the Greek version of the myth he is called Agathyrsus, progenitor of the Agathyrsi tribe living to the west of the Royal Scythians on the plains straddling the river Maris.

Arpoxais -
[Economy]
Passive Effect: -1 Slaves per Surplus
Omen Effect: +10% tribesman output
Apotheosis Effect: Free Province Investment
The middle son of Targitaos, he is one of the three who is unable to touch the golden gifts from the heavens without them bursting into flames, and he is relegated to the lower kingship in the tripartite royal hierarchy. The Scythians recount him as siring the Catiari and Traspian tribes. In the Greek version of the myth he is called Gelonus, progenitor of the Geloni tribe (also known as the Heloni) living to the northeast of the Royal Scythians, in the wooded hinterland east of the Borysthenes.

Colaxais -
[Fertility]
Passive Effect: +10% pop capacity
Omen Effect: +15% research points
Apotheosis Effect: +pop growth
The youngest son of Targitaos, he is the only one of the three who is able to touch the golden gifts from the heavens without them bursting into flames, and he is accepted as the high king in the tripartite royal hierarchy. The Scythians recount him as siring the paralatae tribe. In the Greek version of the myth he is called Scythes, progenitor of the Royal Scythians ruling the Pontic Steppe. Though all three groups, Agathyrsi, Geloni, and Royal Scythes, are referred to collectively as Scolotoi, Greek Scythian, they are named for and ruled by the Royal Scythian line above all.

Additionally, here are two syncretic-faith gods which we will be adding that represent the mingling of the nomads and the Hellenic world. These deities will only becoming unlocked by taking decisions to adopt more hellenic features:

Heraklean Targitaos -
[War]
Passive Effect: Morale of Armies +5.00%
Omen Effect: War Score Cost -10.00%
Apotheosis Effect: +Military Experience
A Hellenic interpretation of the god Targitaos, he represents a mixture of cultures. The combined strength of both the Greek and Scythian grandfather of the line of our kings will grant us immeasurable power in war.

Hylaian Drakaina - (shrine to be built in territory called Karkine [Greek Hylaia])
[Fertility]
Passive Effect: Slave Happiness: +10.00%
Omen Effect: Slave Output: +15.00%
Apotheosis Effect: +Slaves
A half-snake half-woman like the other Drakaina from Greek myth, the Hylaian Drakaina serves as a representation of the fertile earth. In an effort to explain the Scythian traditional origin myth from their own perspective, the Greeks used her to convey the idea of the land giving birth to the three great sons of Herakles who would go on to populate the land of Scythia.

---Treasures---

Treasures to commemorate and celebrate those deities and special festivals have been added. Unfortunately, we have scant record due to the lost oral traditions of many of these and we are forced to extrapolate what we can from obscure Greek, Latin, and Chinese passages. So when we look at the origin story of the Scythians, a tale where four holy relics made of pure gold fall from the sky, that to us serves as an inspiration. These 4 golden treasures that fell out of the sky are: plough, yoke, battleaxe, and drinking cup, in order to be used as a test of rulership. Coloaxis, the youngest son, is the only of three able to touch these items without their bursting up into flames, and so he was proclaimed the high king of the three rulers. Perhaps these golden treasures really existed and were lost due to tribal warfare or melted down by heathen Greeks or other non-Heptadics? We can't know for sure but we are comfortable including these treasures as a way to better represent the vibrant cultures of the peoples of the Steppe.

Unfortunately, these treasures are still under development and aren't ready to be shown at this time. Just know that they're on our minds and we hope.to show them off soon!

There are so many things we’d like to show you today, but if you’ve been paying attention, we clearly have a whole MISSION TREE to showcase for our Scythia Part 2, electric boogaloo, so see you soon.

---- Sardinia ----

Tudhaliya and Palando also made a change to another area, which is somewhat unrelated to the aforementioned steppes, but will have an impact on any player in Italy and Carthage. Sardinia now has several new tags and Carthage no longer controls the whole coastline, as archaeological evidence points towards Carthage only extending influence around Olbia and the southern and western coast:
Before:
image4.png

After:

image1.png

It would have been possible to add even more tags than that, but we decided against that because of gameplay reasons (each tag would have a fort). Out of the new five tags only Tibulatia is not Nuragic but Corsian. There will be certainly new formables and other content for the tribes of Sardinia but we will come to that in a later dev diary.

Attachments

• image3.png
    image3.png
    564,5 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.png
    image3.png
    564,5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 28Like
  • 11Love
Reactions: