I'm totally hyped about the idea of a China DLC! Let me share some ideas I have for it.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arctco

Your one and only, me!
9 Badges
Apr 12, 2016
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Lead and Gold
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I understand that discussing potential DLC releases can be challenging, but there is a compelling case for a DLC focused on medieval China in Crusader Kings 3. While acknowledging the difficulty involved in implementing such a DLC, it would offer an exciting new world for players to explore and conquer. While some Chinese-themed mods exist, many are limited by language barriers, preventing broader accessibility. An official DLC would allow more players to engage with Chinese cultures and the intricate political systems of the Chinese empire.

Here are some ideas I had about a possible DLC:
  1. The Chinese Imperial Court: This would be the central focus of the DLC, with players able to play as a member of the court and manage the intricate political and social structures of the country. The imperial court would be a complex web of relationships and allegiances between different factions, each vying for power and influence. Players would have to navigate these factions carefully to gain power and influence, using diplomacy, subterfuge, and sometimes force to get what they want.
  2. The Mandate of Heaven: The concept of the "Mandate of Heaven" was a key part of Chinese political philosophy during the medieval period, and it could be incorporated into the game as a mechanic. Players would need to maintain the favor of the heavens by governing justly and responding to crises effectively. If they fail to do so, they could lose their legitimacy and face rebellion or even invasion from neighboring states.
  3. Silk Road Trade: The Silk Road was a vital trade route that connected China to the rest of the world during the medieval period, and players could use this route to trade goods, establish diplomatic relationships with other cultures, and gain access to exotic resources and technologies. It could also introduce new challenges related to maintaining the security of the Silk Road, such as dealing with bandits, pirates, and rival powers.
  4. Dynasty Management: In Chinese culture, the concept of the dynasty was central to political and social life. Players could establish and manage their own dynasty, making strategic marriages, fostering alliances, and grooming their heirs to ensure the continuation of their legacy. Players could also face challenges related to the complex family dynamics of the imperial court, such as sibling rivalries, jealous in-laws, and power-hungry relatives.
  5. Culture and Religion: China has a rich and diverse cultural heritage, with many different religions and traditions coexisting within its borders. Players could choose to embrace different cultural and religious practices, and interact with characters from different backgrounds in a dynamic and realistic way. It could also introduce new challenges related to cultural assimilation, such as dealing with rebellious minority groups or managing tensions between different religious factions.
Overall, a China DLC for Crusader Kings 3 could offer a rich and immersive gameplay experience, full of political intrigue, cultural diversity, and strategic decision-making. It would be a great addition to the game, and would appeal to both fans of Chinese history and players who enjoy the challenge of navigating complex political systems.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of a China DLC for Crusader Kings 3? I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions for potential gameplay mechanics, cultural elements, and historical events that could be included in such a DLC. Share your opinions, please!

• 14Like
  • 3Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Haha, this reads like something ChatGPT wrote. Anyways, I think the ideas you raise make sense but seem pretty substantial in size, so I'm not sure the DLC would be as grand as you believe it could be. Personally I think a Chinese DLC should come much later down the road, there are more pressing issues in the game currently that need addressing. Adding an entirely new area of the map would only exacerbate things.

• 7Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Haha, busted, I did use it to put my ideas into a more well-thought-out concept. I agree with you, it's possible that a China DLC could end up being a huge undertaking, and maybe not the best use of resources at the moment, specially since some players are not that happy with the recent and upcoming DLCs, with that in mind, I agree there might be more pressing issues to tackle first. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with me!

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Haha, busted, I did use it to put my ideas into a more well-thought-out concept. I agree with you, it's possible that a China DLC could end up being a huge undertaking, and maybe not the best use of resources at the moment, specially since some players are not that happy with the recent and upcoming DLCs, with that in mind, I agree there might be more pressing issues to tackle first. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with me!
You used a 7 year old account to trial a bot?

Reactions:
I find your ideas pretty vague at best but I do strongly agree please add China and the rest of East Asia.

I feel like China should definitely be the Imperial Reform DLC, if we get fully modular government, the most powerful and interesting reforms should probably be culture or region locked. That way only China or its neighbors can really embrace Chinese style imperialism, and obviously there would have to be some Greek or Arab or German specific reforms for their historical empires.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I find your ideas pretty vague at best but I do strongly agree please add China and the rest of East Asia.

I feel like China should definitely be the Imperial Reform DLC, if we get fully modular government, the most powerful and interesting reforms should probably be culture or region locked. That way only China or its neighbors can really embrace Chinese style imperialism, and obviously there would have to be some Greek or Arab or German specific reforms for their historical empires.
I understand, the original ideas might not have been super clear, but I tried my best to describe in a way how I would like this DLC implemented. Your suggestion of making the Imperial Reform DLC with culture or region-specific reforms is really cool too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Chinese Imperial Court: This would be the central focus of the DLC, with players able to play as a member of the court and manage the intricate political and social structures of the country. The imperial court would be a complex web of relationships and allegiances between different factions, each vying for power and influence. Players would have to navigate these factions carefully to gain power and influence, using diplomacy, subterfuge, and sometimes force to get what they want.
I know ChatGPT suggested this, but this is the one key feature that will make or break a potential Far East DLC. Korea and Japan might be small enough to get away with implementing ahistorical Frankish feudalism however a feudal China blob would make the game extremely unfun. Feudalism would only be a good representation of China if CK3 was set during the Zhou dynasty during the time of Imperator: Rome. There needs to be a way to portray powerful court officials who didn't own large feudal princedoms. The goal of a Chinese family could be to gain enough power as a civil official to force an abdication to yourself or go the military route of massing enough forces as a commander to overthrow the current dynasty militarily.

• 11Like
Reactions:
You made your account in 2016, never posted, then made a single post using chatgpt
4 + 3 is 7

I did post once, but my post got deleted back in 2020, I'm not very interactive online and to be honest, I'm not that comfortable posting online, but since this was a topic I really love, I decided to post and see how people would react. What I wanted was just to show my ideas and talk about it, I did use ChatGPT but only to make my writing more clear and concise, since English is not my main language it did help quite a bit.

I apologize if using a chatbot to assist me made you uncomfortable.

• 22Like
Reactions:
I know ChatGPT suggested this, but this is the one key feature that will make or break a potential Far East DLC. Korea and Japan might be small enough to get away with implementing ahistorical Frankish feudalism however a feudal China blob would make the game extremely unfun. Feudalism would only be a good representation of China if CK3 was set during the Zhou dynasty during the time of Imperator: Rome. There needs to be a way to portray powerful court officials who didn't own large feudal princedoms. The goal of a Chinese family could be to gain enough power as a civil official to force an abdication to yourself or go the military route of massing enough forces as a commander to overthrow the current dynasty militarily.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I totally get where you're coming from, it would be a bummer if they just lazily added feudalism to China without any regard for the country's rich history and culture. I'm all for a more thoughtful and nuanced approach that captures what makes China unique. Playing as a cunning court official and plotting your way to the throne sounds like it could be a ton of fun.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Crusader Kings as a series is incapable of representing most of Asia, due to the priorities of the devs and the basics of the system. Even something as simple as the fact that every province has one religion and one culture makes it practically impossible to have any sort of immersion in India or China--the culture problem is already baffling in many European provinces, but religion in particular as a mechanic--both provincial and personal--in CK is downright incompatible with non-Abrahamic faiths. The idea of a province being "a confucian province" vs "a buddhist province" vs "a chinese folk province" is so unbelievably grating to me that it's like nails on a chalkboard to even think about it. India is already stomach churning in CK3, and I suspect subsaharan Africa is less so for me only because I know less about it.

"Pray to Samsara" as a pop-up option you get every 5 seconds makes me want to pull my teeth out. Hearing something like "In the name of the Heavenly Emperor we will defeat Confucius' worshippers!" would be just as bad.

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Crusader Kings as a series is incapable of representing most of Asia, due to the priorities of the devs and the basics of the system. Even something as simple as the fact that every province has one religion and one culture makes it practically impossible to have any sort of immersion in India or China--the culture problem is already baffling in many European provinces, but religion in particular as a mechanic--both provincial and personal--in CK is downright incompatible with non-Abrahamic faiths. The idea of a province being "a confucian province" vs "a buddhist province" vs "a chinese folk province" is so unbelievably grating to me that it's like nails on a chalkboard to even think about it. India is already stomach churning in CK3, and I suspect subsaharan Africa is less so for me only because I know less about it.

"Pray to Samsara" as a pop-up option you get every 5 seconds makes me want to pull my teeth out. Hearing something like "In the name of the Heavenly Emperor we will defeat Confucius' worshippers!" would be just as bad.

Amen- er, sadhu brother (sister?)! It's honestly pretty irritating even just seeing the Norse, Slavs, Balts, Finns, and Turks all treat religion in such a characteristically Abrahamic way. When they do eventually add east Asia, the vast majority of religions on the map in 867 will be fundamentally flawed.

Just look at Imperator. In a setting where the Abrahamic mode of religion is arguably present only in Judea, a microscopic corner of the map, that style still dominates the foundations of religious mechanics, with some catch-em-all collect-a-deity gimmick thrown on top for good measure.

Reactions:
Amen- er, sadhu brother (sister?)! It's honestly pretty irritating even just seeing the Norse, Slavs, Balts, Finns, and Turks all treat religion in such a characteristically Abrahamic way. When they do eventually add east Asia, the vast majority of religions on the map in 867 will be fundamentally flawed.

Just look at Imperator. In a setting where the Abrahamic mode of religion is arguably present only in Judea, a microscopic corner of the map, that style still dominates the foundations of religious mechanics, with some catch-em-all collect-a-deity gimmick thrown on top for good measure.
What? Imperator worked best for the Greek model where x is just hercules of the persians

Reactions:
So i have to talk about China again. Like always stated it will be something at the end of the Development Cycle of CK.

And it probably needs:
Imperial Governments and dynamic Governments
Nomads and maybe Republics
A Religion overhaul where more pluralist faiths don't convert their realm
A trade mechanic and probably trade routes
Probably also a disease and pandemic overhaul

While I see it as likely it will take a certain time to be feasible and introducable. Espescially as both Governments and Religions need the Major overhaul sooner than a new Region.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I would rather not see, China/East Asia added at this point. There are still so many regions on the map that need some extra flavour/mechanics etc. Only the Norse and Iberia have had a DLC devoted to them.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Personally I don't want China DLC because Paradox is incapable of creating such a complicated theme. They would make a mess. But this is your post so let's talk about your ideas.
I. The Chinese Imperial Court: This idea is too vague.
2. The Mandate of Heaven: This idea is easy to be implemented. Historically, mandate of heaven is always an excuse of reign and rebellion. What really dominate china's fate are disasters, foreign invasion and conflicts among the emperor, the Intellectual aristocracy and commoners, similiar to other nations. Due to conflicts between the emperor and the Intellectual aristocracy, sometimes the emperor is just a sucker who is supposed to be responsible for everything. So double the panalty of defeats and create more events about disasters and so on. Those would be enough to simulate the mandate of heaven.
3. Silk Road Trade: There's no trade system in CKIII right now but we can count on buildings such as trading posts and silk markets. The former should be built along the silk road and could be built by any nation. The latter could only be built in Specific chinese cities.
4. Dynasty Management: Nonsense.
5. Culture and Religion: You simply got it wrong. There is only one religion in China: Confucianism. All other religions are entertainments. And there are four big campaigns of destroying buddha in China but no one gives a shit. So there shouldn't be bishops and bishoprics in China. Nominally the leader of Confucianism is the emperor, but in practice it's the prime minister.

Last edited:
Reactions: