I'm totally hyped about the idea of a China DLC! Let me share some ideas I have for it.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  1. The Mandate of Heaven: The concept of the "Mandate of Heaven" was a key part of Chinese political philosophy during the medieval period, and it could be incorporated into the game as a mechanic. Players would need to maintain the favor of the heavens by governing justly and responding to crises effectively. If they fail to do so, they could lose their legitimacy and face rebellion or even invasion from neighboring states.
Sounds like something EU4 would do.
But the "Mandate of Heaven" is just a justification for overthrowing the emperor. China got invaded when it was weak, like in everywhere else. The Mongols didn't conquer China to establish a more just government.
The same for European dynasties. If you want to make Mandate of Heaven into a game mechanic, you should also make "God's blessing" a mechanic. If feudal Europeans have too much incest, God will punish them by letting Muslim jihad them, for example.

Reactions:
I feel like it would require the possibility of Landless-esque gameplay, with powerful noble families who don't have exactly feudal territory on map, but more of a "Manor" kind of holding, like how the Merchant Republics worked in CKII.

One interesting possibility is that if you rule territory, rather than it being inheritable feudal territory, you rule as a Governor or the like under the Emperor's mandate.

Of course, if the Emperor weakens and the Noble Families become stronger, and the center cannot hold, the local power-holders should get stronger and slowly and surely obtain more power in the margins.

Which I think would be very interesting mechanics, because it's actually not that dissimilar from how Carolinglian France worked and how Feudalism in France came about.

Game really needs to be ready to deal with non-feudal govts. AFAIK Medieval Poland was an administrative kingdom, for example.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh man, y'all don't know how happy I am to see this topic resurface on this forum. I had posted quite a few ideas for implementing China on the CK2 board back in the day, so let me refresh on those and I'll adapt those ideas to CK3 to pitch here. I can't resist the desire to China-dump in a thread that had a dev post in it.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I am looking forward to the Iranian Intermezzo DLC i think so we are able to see some good things how areas which are not western get their content mabye the feedback will then help for an india or china focussed DLC.