Europa Universalis IV: 1.33 Open Beta Updated (February 11th)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh wow! Happy to see more modifiers like the relations for Cultures. This is significantly better than the same religion modifier (Which was still doing it job however). I’m also curious if this means that Manchu can form Qing more often than not now. Especially with Korchin being a subject now. I will be running a few test games to see how things unfold over there.

Overall I’m really satisfied with the way this patch is shaping out. While I get some were disappointed that no real “new” content was being added, this is a significant Quality of Life Patch Europa has needed for a very long time. I hope this isn’t the last time of patches like these as this is really going a good ways to see both Emperor and Leviathan content getting some 2nd and 3rd looks at. (In regards to Expand
Infrastructure and Centralize State and Hegemons + Revolutions)

Edit: It was also nice to see Maritime Espionage and Naval get yet another buff, but have you considered potentially slightly reworking Maritime to encompass Trade Company related buffs? (Said buffs could include reducing Trade Company Governing cost and Investment cost). I think this would help solidified Maritime as a Naval and Oversea trade idea set identify as right now I believe people are still going to be picking Trade the vast majority of time. Trade company modifiers would also have a dlc lock to them but thats fine in my view, simliar to how innovativeness is RB atm but has a modifier in Innovative ideas.)

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
- The event "Earthquake destroys Lisboa" now adds 100 Devastation to Lisboa and decreases local goods produced by 25% instead of a flat 0.66.
Lisbon:
this is fine.jpg

The nerfquake of lisbon

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The event "Netherlands Declare Independence!" now has a second option, which allows you to play as them.
Do the "X joins the Republic" events still fire under these circumstances? I understood why they didn't before (player formed Netherlands getting free land), but now that the player can be the revolt Netherlands it seems players should have access to those for parity with the AI if nothing else.

Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
- The Revolution now prefers to spread in the provinces of the owner of the Center of the Revolution.
Liking the touches to the revolution and I have some suggestions for further improvements taken from my own games when i play that far.

Playing so long, I usually keep vassals around since I like pretty borders and I'm usually a bit invested in the map state given the time played. However if I go revolutionary, I have no way of spreading the revolution to my vassals and letting them join in on the fun. The center is more eager to spread it to my enemies and siege routes, than my own subjects.

And if I cheese it, by integrating the vassal, letting revolutionary ideas spread since it's my tag and then releasing them again. They get a negative modifier of me since revolutionary ideas have spread in their country, not considering the fact that my country is revolutionary and often the target of the revolution as well.

So some interplay with the subjects would be nice!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Isn't it weird to use Tibetan for all the group? Miao people are not even Sino-Tibetan, Yi/Loloish people are closer to Burmish peoples, and I don't know what Bai really are. You could add new cultures for them like Yunnanese. Sino-Mongol could be of better use as a name as it includes Mongols only, but I still think that you should find some Chinese names for them.

Reactions:
So, nothing about (at least partially) reverting the CB changes? I found another annoying result which I think wasn't mentioned yet, if natives declare war on your CN, you enforce peace and win the war, with the changes you can only take reparations and break alliances/rivalries. You can't neuter the threat, which means you shipped over troops and fought a war for nothing, and even if you manage to max out the truce you are in for a pointless rinse and repeat in another 15 years.

Regarding the Parliament changes, I have a question: does this mean that taking the Parliament for your 5th reform no longer abolish the nobility estate, instead it will be only abolished by default for government types that use the Parliament from the start, like the English monarchy?

I also brought up a question regarding the -3 diplo rep duration stacking after multiple annexations in the original beta thread, is that intentional and how things will be in the future? I'm not saying we can't live with it, but it's a change that will alter vassal play for sure, since annexing multiple subjects will potentially leave you with the penalty for decades.

If this is indeed the final version you intend to push, I sense some deal of backlash will follow because of the CB changes, considering you seemed to be responsive and open to the idea of reverting at least some of the introduced changes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Feedback for 1.33
1.png

1. After making Korea as Manchu's tributary by event, Korea immediately makes alliance with Ming. I think it's not a goal of devs. I think making Korea as tributary decreases Ming-Korea relationship and trust will be answer.

2.png

2. As Qing, I took mandate of heaven. I din hold Ningxia, but my event option reward is Ningxia's monument's upgrade.

• 1Like
Reactions:
- Revolution in a province will increase the local unrest by 0.25 per Absolutism instead of 0.5 local minimum autonomy.

Thanks for making revolutionary sentiment make more sense and fixing the annoyance that can occur from having your whole country at 50% autonomy before you can satisfy the requirements to fire the revolution disaster.

I would ask the developers to look at the suggestion thread I made on redesigning the revolution mechanics to be more immersive and less annoying, to see if it makes sense to add one or more of the other suggestions to the game in the future.

Revolution Mechanics Rework

• 1Like
Reactions:
This should say that Expand Infrastructure increases Governing Cost, and the old values for the increase were 100% + 50 flat.
Adjusted the Changelog.
I should have waited with submitting until i was all the way through.

The increased warscore cost was already in the previous beta. I assume it wasn't changed?

The widely discussed change to allow taking land in specialized CB's after fulfilling their main goal is absent from the patch notes for some reason.
This is an outdated change which should have not been in the final version. That's my bad, I forgot to tell my colleagues to remove it.
While I am at it: originally, Inwards Perfection was supposed to give +2 Stability Hit on War Decleration, -10% Administrative Efficiency and +100% Aggressive Expansion. The idea was that you absolutely do not want take any land while you have this privilege - and it worked.
For the player that is.

AI Korea, on the other hand, couldn't care less about the additional aggressive expansion, which meant they declared war on the Manchu like a madman and took as many provinces as possible. The result was that none of the Jurchen tags even considered uniting the region because they were way too focued on declaring Korea one Coalition War after the other.

It was kind of hilarious to watch, but it felt very... artificial, and would have damaged the immersion of the game more than added to it.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. I removed this change from the Changelog as it was a completely internal change to begin with.
So will you change it to 30 in the next version, or keep it to 50? This disaster is quite hard to get through.
The version for 1.33 is 50 Mandate.
On a side note: the disaster itself has been softened up slightly. It decreases the Global Goods Produced Modifier by 30% instead of 50%. Seems like I forgot to add this to the Changelog when @_@
Do the "X joins the Republic" events still fire under these circumstances? I understood why they didn't before (player formed Netherlands getting free land), but now that the player can be the revolt Netherlands it seems players should have access to those for parity with the AI if nothing else.
Nope, they do not.
Tbh: these events flew under the radar when the event option to play as the Netherlands got implemented. For 1.33 there will be no further adjustment to the "[Root.GetName] joins the Republic!" event.
However, I do like the roleplay aspect of this events to fire when you are a revolting Netherlands tag, so maybe the events can get a readjustment in 1.34.
No promise though.
I would like to bring attention to the following bug which causes personal unions to break during estate led regencies:

This seems to be a relatively common issue
Good griefs, that is a rather painful experience.
I doubt we will get a tooltip for 1.33 for that one, but be ensured that I have this on my personal TODO list.
So, nothing about (at least partially) reverting the CB changes? I found another annoying result which I think wasn't mentioned yet, if natives declare war on your CN, you enforce peace and win the war, with the changes you can only take reparations and break alliances/rivalries. You can't neuter the threat, which means you shipped over troops and fought a war for nothing, and even if you manage to max out the truce you are in for a pointless rinse and repeat in another 15 years.

Regarding the Parliament changes, I have a question: does this mean that taking the Parliament for your 5th reform no longer abolish the nobility estate, instead it will be only abolished by default for government types that use the Parliament from the start, like the English monarchy?

I also brought up a question regarding the -3 diplo rep duration stacking after multiple annexations in the original beta thread, is that intentional and how things will be in the future? I'm not saying we can't live with it, but it's a change that will alter vassal play for sure, since annexing multiple subjects will potentially leave you with the penalty for decades.

If this is indeed the final version you intend to push, I sense some deal of backlash will follow because of the CB changes, considering you seemed to be responsive and open to the idea of reverting at least some of the introduced changes.
Regarding the CB changes: the way it works now is that you can still take provinces as long you also take your primary war goal.
For example: a very popular strategy is to take the Cheb gold mine as Austria in the PU war. The way it works now is that you cannot select any provinces until you have the "Union with Bohemia" peace treaty selected. If you have done then you can conquer provinces atop of it.
In a way, it works like the Independence War works in 1.32 - you cannot take provinces unless you also demand your independence.

The parliament changes are mostly for modders than for the game itself. Before the change, the nobles estate would always vanish if you have the parliament trait active. With this change, however, it is now possible that you can mod a parliament mechanic to a government without forcing the nobles out of your country.
The functionality of the 5th reform has not been changed though. If you enact you still remove the nobility estate from your country and gain all their crownland as intended.

Regarding the dip rep stacking: I think this is a byproduct of a change which allows the stacking of country modifiers. However, I do not have a definitive answer if that is intended or not though.
Fortunately, there is an estate privilege which allows you to annex vassals without getting a dip rep hit though ;)

• 16Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
There's a minor bug in today's update that nonetheless is driving me crazy. If you mouse-over another nation's allies on the province screen, or if you look at them on the declare war screen, they are listed as A, B, Cand D instead of as A, B, C and D.

Please, for the love of Ulm, insert a space on both sides of the word "and" before I lose what little sanity I still possess.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Regarding the CB changes: the way it works now is that you can still take provinces as long you also take your primary war goal.
For example: a very popular strategy is to take the Cheb gold mine as Austria in the PU war. The way it works now is that you cannot select any provinces until you have the "Union with Bohemia" peace treaty selected. If you have done then you can conquer provinces atop of it.
In a way, it works like the Independence War works in 1.32 - you cannot take provinces unless you also demand your independence.

Concerning this, are there plans to up the AE and warscore cost for taking provinces beyond your primary war goal? It doesn't feel right for them to cost the same as they would under conquest CB.

• 3Like
Reactions:
From my ongoing Russia game, lots of good changes in the beta but i feel something must've been overlooked here
eu4_21.png

Why exactly am i not getting revolution progress? The game considers me the most powerful nation in europe for one trigger, but not for the other!

Also an interesting detail, the revolution spawned in my chinese provinces (a 50dev ai-developed Luoyang, to be exact), and categorically refuses to spread to non-asian provinces. After some initial spread in the vicinity it leaped to persia and samarkand, but after running out of 30dev asian provinces it is now confined to sub 5 dev provinces in siberia and central asia. I had to do quite a bit of manual dev to hit the 20% target for disaster to even show up.

Reactions: