AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Our newly started Glass industry has produced its first two Sharp Slicey Disks!

AD_096.jpg

As soon as we have accumulated ten of them, we can assemble our first Weapon Trap on the bridge over the Dodge-Em Trap.

For those of our readers who are unfamiliar with Dodge-Em Traps, they represent an instance of Dwarven Judo... using an opponent's own strength against him.

When a siege of 100 or so Goblins arrives on our map, it is not unusual for anywhere from eight to twelve of them to be Legendary Fighters. These dozen Goblins alone would be fully capable of wiping out our Militia, even if they weren't supported by 90 other Goblins and a few dozen mounts. So it would be best if we had some way of killing these Legendary Goblins, without coming to close quarters with them.

That's where the Dodge-Em Trap comes in. We dig a large (7 x 10 tile) and very deep pit. Very deep indeed... a hundred meters or so deep. Run walls around the pit so that it cannot simply be bypassed, and build a narrow bridge completely spanning the gap. We then cover this bridge with weapons traps, with each trap loaded either with ten Sharp Slicey Disks or with ten Big Spikey Balls. These specific trap components attack three times each, for a total of thirty attacks each time a trap is triggered. When an opponent is attacked, there is a chance that they dodge one or more tiles, avoiding the attack. More skilled characters have a better chance of dodging, so Legendary Fighters will almost always dodge an attack... carrying them right off that narrow bridge, to plummed a hundred meters down into the pit.

In effect, we are using the opponent's Dodge skill to kill him, and the more skilled he is, the better the chance of killing him.

This is our Control Room:

AD_097.jpg

The top lever controls the drawbridge that will seal off access to our Keep (currently open).
The second lever controls the four hatches sealing off the stairs to the roof of the Keep (currently closed).

The third lever controls the outer drawbridge to the Dodge-Em Trap (currently open).
The fourth lever controls the inner drawbridge to the Dodge-Em Trap (currently open).

The fifth lever controls the outer drawbridge to the Trade Depot (currently open).
The six lever controls the inner drawbridge to the Trade Depot (currently open).

I have left Notes to each of these controls, in case someone else wants a turn running the fort. Pressing "N" reveals the notes:

AD_098.jpg

To amplify a bit on the weapon traps:

Weapon traps can use any weapon... melee weapons like swords and spears, or crossbows, or specialized trap components like Sharp Slicey Disks or Huge Spikey Balls.

The latter two (Sharp Slicey Disks and Huge Spikey Balls) are preferred because normal weapons, when included in a weapon trap, only attack once each time the trap is triggered while these specialized trap components attack three times each. Weapon traps can hold up to ten weapons each so when loaded with conventional weapons that's ten attacks, but thirty if you use specialized trap components instead.

I'm making the Sharp Slicey Disks out of Glass because it has superior slicing edge characteristics, and making the Big Spikey Balls out of Iron because it has better impact characteristics... Glass would be too light to do much damage. Although... in fairness I should point out that we are not really relying on the weapons in the traps to do damage. That's what the hundred meter deep pit is for. The weapons in the trap are just supposed to force the opponent to dodge... into the pit.

Still... as long as I'm spending time and effort manufacturing hundreds of Big Spikey Balls, we might as well make them out of something lethal.

Reactions:
Here is our Magma Forge.

AD_099.jpg

Magma-safe doors and a Magma-safe drawbridge positioned to seal off access to the stairway up to the fort. Sand Bag stockpile at the extreme right. Magma Glass Smelters on the right, Magma Metal Smelters in the center, and Magma Forges on the left. All powered by the molten rock just below the floor of the room.

watch out for the Evil Fort.... I did 4 forts during my sick break back in february. one of them got overwhelmed by the zombies...there ware like 150 of them.
I had great traps...moat...but I made a mistake of having my archer tower too close of the walls. so my crazy ass marksdwarves decided to fight zombies one on one...(I might add they ware nearly naked as I didnt have a clothing industry set-up). none of the survuved.

1 fort got destroyed by a crazy ass forgotten beats...took literraly 30 seconds to kill all my 120 dwarves...he left one kid alive....to tell the story.
beast was crazy...it was shooting webs, breath fire...could fly...and had poison aura or something. that tought me to keep the entry to caverns really closed off.

other two forts kept crashing in 4th year...so I stopped after that.

i'm curious about your hit or dodge traps. why 20 levels deep? is 10 not enough? gonna build spikes at the lowest part? no moat?

I've had Legendary Fighter opponents survive a fifteen level drop, and then put up a nasty fight against the squad I sent into the bottom of the pit to finish them off.

Twenty levels is more likely to kill, especially if I pave the bottom of the trap with Iron plates. I'll consider adding Magma once we get our pump-stack built.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The first Human Caravan arrived, and we bought all their Leather (to make Sand Bags and Military equipment) as well as some Cloth, Cheese and, of course, Booze.

According to their Liason, they can get us Grizzly Bears! I ordered a mated pair... Grizzlys can be trained as War Beasts!

Thanks for your reminder.

Please dwarf me as some one with the most fun potential for :D

I personally loved magma traps, a room with an iron grate floor, a drawbridge as ceiling and a magma reservoir above. The advantage was, that you got rid of all the useless stuff and kept the useful metals the enemy graciously brought you.

Mind you last time I played was a couple years back, back then defence of the fort was much easier.

Please dwarf me as some one with the most fun potential for :D
Iche_Bins FrostConstructs is now our Captain of the Fortress Guard, and is the leader of our squad of Spear-equipped Melee Dwarves. (the_hdk commands our Marksdwarves).

Yet another wave of migrants, seven this time. That brings us just up over 100. Fortunately, our positional defenses are approaching completion. The first weapon traps have been laid down on the bridge over our Dodge-Em Trap.

Our Dodge-Em Trap has reached 14 levels deep.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is a bit odd.

AD_100.jpg

The Human Diplomat and his two bodyguards are inside our Dodge-Em trap, twenty feet up the wall, in a pool of dog pus.

... I'm not even going to ASK what's going on. Hope they clear out before we've got our Magma Pump finished.

Now THIS is cool...

It turns out that half-way down our Dodge-Em Trap (level 11 out of 20) the shaft passes right next to one of our temples. And it turns out to be the temple of the God of Murder! So I've knocked out part of the wall and rebuilt it with Glass Blocks, so the worshippers of the God of Murder can watch doomed invaders plummet right past their window on the way to a big splat on the floor ten levels below.

It's these little touches that Dwarves appreciate.

• 4Love
Reactions:
Now THIS is cool...

It turns out that half-way down our Dodge-Em Trap (level 11 out of 20) the shaft passes right next to one of our temples. And it turns out to be the temple of the God of Murder! So I've knocked out part of the wall and rebuilt it with Glass Blocks, so the worshippers of the God of Murder can watch doomed invaders plummet right past their window on the way to a big splat on the floor ten levels below.

It's these little touches that Dwarves appreciate.
It's certainly the little touch us commentors appreciate ;)

Reactions:
AD_101.jpg

LOL.

OMG! Call the Exorcist!

Since it's a Possession, we won't end up with a Legendary baby. Possessions give no XP.

EDIT:

.... and you don't see THIS very day!

AD_102.jpg

I guess it's alright as long as he wipes his feet...

Last edited:
That Goblin, Guiseppe LockedDonkey, has petitioned for citizenship. He is a veteran Spearman and his profession is "Monster Slayer", so we've agreed to take him in.

• 1Love
Reactions:
what? Did we shift into goblin fortress while we weren't looking? *shakes fist*
I've earmarked him as the first volunteer for our Goblin Space Program.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Dodge-Em Trap has reached level 20!

Now we have to clear all the spoil out of it before we can pave it with something hard, like Iron plates.

*sigh*

I was wondering when one of those stupid humans would lose their grip on the wall and fall shrieking into the dodge-em trap.

AD_103.jpg

... and now a skill-testing question: When the Human Bodyguard recovered from his fall, what did he do?

*sigh*

I was wondering when one of those stupid humans would lose their grip on the wall and fall shrieking into the dodge-em trap.

View attachment 738593

... and now a skill-testing question: When the Human Bodyguard recovered from his fall, what did he do?
Climb up and try again?