HOI4 Dev Diary - Bag of Tricks #1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, after you have conquered and forced the capitulation of dozens of nations, you find yourself with equipment from a thousand places with different names. It is really time consuming to get aircraft squadrons up late in-game due to that.
I just grab the first 100 (400, 800) planes I find of the correct category and toss them into the new squadron(s). The in-game magical logistics gnomes can sort that nonsense out.

Reactions:
Will the new supply system take into account that countries like Germany relied on horses for supply, while others, like America, had fully motorised supply systems? Also werent train guns made obsolete by planes?

Reactions:
I just grab the first 100 (400, 800) planes I find of the correct category and toss them into the new squadron(s). The in-game magical logistics gnomes can sort that nonsense out.

Which is what I do as well, but still painful when you want to find a SINGLE aircraft of a certain category from over 100 types of aircraft. Sometimes it takes me almost 30 seconds to find, and in some cases I gotta scroll up and down more than once. Thus why they should add a "form squadron from THIS OR THAT category", for each one, probably with the option to choose which kind of equipment you want on it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will the new supply system take into account that countries like Germany relied on horses for supply, while others, like America, had fully motorised supply systems? Also werent train guns made obsolete by planes?
Already confirmed. Motorized will be used to ferry supply around. If you don't have any horses are used instead.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is also possible to reorganize the list of templates using drag and drop, so you can make sure you keep your horsie boys on top where they belong.

Since we're expanding drag+drop again, can we get that feature added for:
  • Fleets
  • Task Groups
  • Spies
  • National Spirits
It doesn't make any sense to me that you solved this for armies and then reintroduced the problem for other types of theaters. (National Spirits is just to appease the OCD I have of putting types of NS in the right order, it's...admittedly meaningless in any real sense, but so is template order, and yet here we are). I don't really get why not almost everything can't be dragged and dropped.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Can you please add a setting/command/condition for armies/groups of armies to auto-ignore the "I won't move any further because it will cause low supply" stop order? It is a great pain when a 20+ divisions corps with a 10+tile front line assigned stops moving because of this and your whole front...

• 2Like
Reactions:
MOTOR_TEMP, hm? Based on the name, I suspect it's a command that uses trucks from the stockpile to motorize/demotorize all non-motorized battalions inside the army, probably with some form of downside (like truck attrition or an organization penalty) to reflect the fact these battalions are not set-up to be permanently motorized and to encourage the player to create motorized templates if they want to permanently motorize their army. Such a button would also compensate for the fact that strategic redeployment probably can only be done along railways down (or at least, I'm assuming that's the case) and takes up trains now. So if you have a foot infantry army somewhere that needs to get somewhere else a significant distance away, but there is no convenient railline to use and you have the trucks to spare, you motorize them, move them over to the new place, and then demotorize them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
What exactly is the reasoning for decommissioning templates? Just to clean up the UI? Will there be any effect on units of these templates out in the field? Will we be able to tell the game to turn all still extant units of these templates into a new one?

Decommissioned templates :D
Its now possible to mark templates as old. Much like with equipment they will no longer show in the list. :D

Divisions can still use them but get a little warning, and you cant switch to one until it is recommissioned.

It is also possible to reorganize the list of templates using drag and drop, so you can make sure you keep your horsie boys on top where they belong.

Army List Controls
We have also added various controls to the army list. Its now possible to sort and much easier to select

Colorized infra bonuses
Infrastructure help you build more effectively. To make it easier to parse where the best states are we went ahead and colorized the bonus indicator

Lend Lease QoL
To make it possible to more easily send ALL of your stockpile of something we have now added a button to the lend lease interface to set it to the content of your stockpile. A lot nicer than typing out a number you have to look up :)

War join spam
This one has been on my top 5 annoying things since back in 2014 :D When your war causes a lot of nations to get pulled in you get a ton of separate messages. This can be super annoying because just as you fire off your attack you need to deal with popups. No longer. Check out the comparison when declaring on Poland as Germany. in New vs Old:

That's it for today, see you all next week!
Excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent, and excellent!!! OMG - Drag and Drop - what a concept - why has no one thought of this before? :rolleyes: Seriously - thank you!
Please, please, please - can you bring back the drag and drop for the Divisions inside the Army Group/Divisions window.

Now if you could come up with a way to OPTIONALLY consolidate the equipment lists. When you conquer the whole world and amass 72 different versions of the Infantry Equipment I rifle - we should be able to OPTIONALLY step-back from the extreme mico and consolidate all this equipment. I'm getting carpel-clicker here!
I'm as OCD as the next guy and I too know when a bayonet lug is just not right in the graphic or the nomenclature is off, but I did say optionally!
I know, I know - the Mk I upgrades thing is going to be tricky, but I'm confident the PDX wizards can figure out an equitable solution.

Seriously, I could legitimately deduct the cost of the DLC (and a new PC) as a medical expense if you bring back more drag and drop! Great news this week!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will there be a fix to prevent the dozens of simultaneous peace conferences if Britain decolonizes mid-war? Maybe a rule that doesn't let them decolonize unless they're at peace? Also, a requirement that they either take Home Defense or Concessions to the Trade Unions before they're allowed to Revisit Colonial Policy?

Also, that "click-and-drag division templates" feature is just what I've always wanted!

Very nice! I always enjoy this QoL dev diaries. These fixes that I can't do in my mod are always much appreciated. I see the title is #1, so I can't wait to see what else is in store for the next bag of tricks dev diary.

My question: You mentioned there may be some QoL changes to the naval designer now that you've worked on the tank designer. Will that happen, and will we see it soon?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ive mentioned it before, but one addition I'd love to see is the ability to set production limits with military factories.

Suppose i want to automate the production, then shipment of modified, high-reliability Shermans for lend-lease to England, similar to naval production, I can simply create my design, allocate factories, then opt to produce "X" amount, and then im off! England can get the tanks they want, then after, production can automatically roll back into other projects!

One more divisional QoL that I think would be cool would be if I'm able to create some custom formula for division names, instead of selecting a preset. For example, I might not want the "Panzer-Division 1/2/3/4/5" names, but I'll make separate custom names for light, medium, heavy that'll be automatically put in place and numbered
I already do this with the current system. I am (minorly) OCD so my divisions have to be numbered 1-2-3-etc. (without skips). So I created name lists for the countries I play (primarily only Majors) that basically combined all of their infantry lists (1), cavalry lists, and armored lists and then created a new list for each type I actually use (2)(3)(4). As long as you link all of the lists together (make sure all versions are linked to every other version not just the base list). So my Japanese Armored (Heavy) list has
Code:
	link_numbering_with = { JAP_ARM_01 JAP_ARM_02}

fallback_name = "Sensha Dai %d Jū Shidan"
so that I will never have a "Sensha Dai 1 Shidan" (Medium Armor) and a "Sensha Dai 1 Jū Shidan" (Heavy Armor) at the same time.

(1) Lets be realistic, there would never have been a 2. Infanterie-division and a 2. Infanterie-division (mot.) at the same time, nor would there have been an 82nd Airborne and an 82nd Infantry Division at the same time.

(2) Except the USA. Other than a very brief period during 1942 all (infantry) divisions were simply [ordinal] Division. So even though I use separate entries for Inf, Mot, Mtn, Mech, etc. They are identical except the Airborne list (because they actually did retain the [ordinal] Airborne Division name.

(3) Some countries have different groups (Germany has a unique list for Panzergrenadiers), some countries I link Light Tanks with Cavalry (instead of Tanks) as Armored Cavalry (which also covers armored car divisions if I create them (usually just used for off-map Garrisons).

(4) Any named, but unnumbered, names are split into a separate list.

That's nice, Dan! Can you guys tell me about performance improvements? Will there be any in the next update?
Performance stat improvements (if any) are typically revealed towards the end of the design phase. If stuff is still being added it would be misleading to say that at this point there has been a 10% improvement only to have that 10% wiped out by stuff they still haven't added.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Am i the only one who doesn't really understand the whole decomissiong templates thing? maybe i have interpreted it wrong but if you arent going to use a template in the future wouldn't you just delete it instead?
Ahh, but if you still have divisions using Template A and can't afford (or don't want) to upgrade them to Template B, but also don't want to create any new divisions of that type, you can decommission it and have it not show up in the list (either for new deployment or conversion.)

• 1Like
Reactions: