• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vegetalss4

First Lieutenant
59 Badges
Apr 6, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2
I'd really like it if you added a dynasty mapmode to the game.
The house mapmode is all well and good, but since each dynasty easily ends up with a bunch of different houses, often one for each independent ruler even, it can be difficult to remember which houses belong to which dynasty and it certainly isn't something I can tell at a glance.
It'd be nice to be able to see how well I'm doing at spreading my dynasty and how well other dynasties are doing for comparison, and when doing things like trying to enact the "dynasty of many crowns" decision it could even be strategically helpful to not need to check and recheck that your dynasty haven't lost a kingdom to an election/claimant faction, or even gained one through marriage on its own.

• 16Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I'd add a sub-realm house mapmod that breaks up like some other map modes do (de facto map f.e. )

• 11Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Agreed.

I played my first game where I really focused on expanding the dynasty. The Good News: I got dynasty of many crowns for the first time. The Bad News: the house mapmode wasn't really helpful and I desperately wanted a dynasty mapmode to see my good work painted on the map.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Is there something else you would want a Dynasty (or House) Mapmode to do? When would it be useful (except for the Dynasty of many Crowns Achievements)?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there something else you would want a Dynasty (or House) Mapmode to do? When would it be useful (except for the Dynasty of many Crowns Achievements)?
It would be much more beneficial if the Dynasty (or House) Mapmode could show the current members of a dynasty (or family), who are landed -either in foreign realms or in own realm- under the rule of lieges of different dynasties-houses, that the player is unaware of. This would be especially useful when the run advances into the mid-game, and the number of dynasty members increases inevitably, spreading without the player's agency.

At that point of mid-game, the player is currently unable to locate greater portion of the dynasty, as even the dynasty tree UI is slowed down (because of character portraits), and not able to provide any information or joy for using it.

The Find Characters is effective to a certain point; after a certain number of members, it loses its practical advantage.

Otherwise, the current Dynasty Mapmode's relative inadequacy is the actual issue considering that it shows only the top liege dynasties, and this is not useful for much purpose.

Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.

Edit: Corrected grammatical mistake.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
When would it be useful (except for the Dynasty of many Crowns Achievements)?

Use case 1: I want to maximize my dynasty on other thrones for renown gain, so it's useful to see who are already in (at a glance)
Use case 2: Should it support sub-realming by ctrl-click, it would ease locating my dynasty in vassal positions (again, with renown in mind)

• 2Like
Reactions:
For additional uses: being able to ctrl-click to split a realm/dynasty block into vassal dynasties would be nice (or some other way to see the dynasty of vassals in addition to the rulers)
This would also be nice for the current house map.
This would however just be a neat "extra", not a requirement or anything for a dynasty map-mode to be a good addition.

The dynasty map mode could be useful for increasing your renown gain through spreading your dynasty.
That said it's main use would, to me, would be to enhance the feeling of satisfaction and game enjoyment of engaging in the roleplaying practice of spreading my dynasty around, since it'd make it actually practical for me to see how successful I currently am. It'd also allow players to get a better feel for the "story" of each current game by seeing how successful other dynasties are, for instance looking over on a divided section of the map and noticing that they are all of the same dynasty (thus implying a split some time ago) without needing to go through each individual independent ruler to check which dynasty their house is from.

Both of these was things I regularly did in CK2 and which enhanced my enjoyment and roleplaying.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I’d also use it for my breeding program. ;) Searching for famous dynasties is a pain. Once I know the name I can enter it in the character search filter, but I need the name first. I end up pinning characters just so I can remember the dynasty, & use the dynasty icon on their character screen to open the member list to find someone I can bring into my court. A dynasty map would save me from a lot of clicking.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Any word on this happening? I don't want anything special, just want to paint the map with my dynasty because i'm not focused on expanding my realm and i'd like something i could easily screenshot to show what i've accomplished. right now i don't really feel like continuing this play through because I was hoping to show off what i managed to do despite not declaring any wars

The dynasty is Slovinci and we started in that tiny county in the northeast, and Wulfing is a cadet house but that's not obvious from the screenshot.
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 6.27.12 PM.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
if de-jure map and house/dynasty map show me the same just with different names/colors it is not very useful

therefore i suggest that neither house nor dynasty map should be on top-level basis (at least not for empires)
kingdom or 1 level below top-level would be the most useful

i also suggest default it should show sub-realm and support top-realm by ctrl-click (not the other way)

Reactions:
Just conquering kingdoms is one way to paint the map but its get boring quickly. I much prefer to stay in my own zone and try to spread my dynasty. I'd really like to have dynasty map mode because it would allow me to see what I have accomplished. The map turning my colour and showing how far the family has come. After all, Crusader Kings is a series about families.

House map mode is the one that doesn't have much use. Every independent realm tends to have its own house and house map mode just looks the same as realm map mode.

Reactions:
I'd like to see this too. The house map-mode should have some way of easily showing the associated dynasty of each house. Additionally, I'd like to be able to control-click and see the spread of dynasties inside of a realm (eg to see the spread of vassal dynasties or how my dynasty is distributed inside foreign courts due to marriage or intrigue).

• 3Like
Reactions: