• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Specifically, the event with the All Russian Military Union, which is in the North Strike event thread.
It´s event # 9300143 GER in the events/mods folder. It looks like the only required conditions are relations with CHI are 50 or better and event # 2003136 GER (Economic Recovery) must have happened. There is a certain randomness involved, so it may take some time before the event fires.

Is this mod still being updated? Is it still the most complete historical mod for Darkest Hour? Or if I want more events for 1933, should I get Edge of Darkness?

Last edited:
I found Edge of Darkness too easy. It has a couple of more events here and there but no biggies + different aproach towards special units (you get them via event). I prefer World in Flames.

I found Edge of Darkness too easy. It has a couple of more events here and there but no biggies + different aproach towards special units (you get them via event). I prefer World in Flames.

Have you played it through the war? Because I am also starting to think the first half, before Barbarossa is easy, however, I have replayed it as Nazi Germany many times now. On Very Hard and Furious. But Barbarossa is not easy - still - I think.

Right. So. Now when i run my game and it runs to the next day with any country from Jan 29 1933 to jan 30th, game freezes up completely, doesn't respond. Nothing. Why? I haven't had this problem before.

When played on Very Hard and Furious, and the Hard Barbarossa option, I still think Edge of Darkness, as Germany, is pretty difficult. I really like this mod.

Attachments

• Darkest Hour v 1.05.1 (UMZB)  Mods_Edge of Darkness v2.2 17-12-2020 16_27_41.png
    Darkest Hour v 1.05.1 (UMZB) Mods_Edge of Darkness v2.2 17-12-2020 16_27_41.png
    492,3 KB · Views: 0
When played on Very Hard and Furious, and the Hard Barbarossa option, I still think Edge of Darkness, as Germany, is pretty difficult. I really like this mod.

I just finished a game as Germany in EoD, and I did not find Barbarrosa easy. But I can clearly see why it is less of a challenge than WiF. That being said, I play the game for the historical immersion, and not really to challenge myself. The very well researched events are great.

I came here to thank everyone involved in making this mod. I played the 1933 campaign as Germany on normal difficulty and the game still gave me some moments of despair, just as it should. But it was immersive indeed and perhaps one of the best or the best experience with DH I’ve had.

I started the war a tad earlier than historically by invading Poland late july 1939. 1933 scenario gives one time to build up, so I had quite large air force (>30 units mostly interceptors or CAS) and 10 panzerdivisions. On the other hand I had mostly neglected Kriegsmarine so it could only pull though Weserubung later on, but after that I left it to sit in ports to not waste precious oil.

Immediately after Poland was annexed I went on to a rampage and blitzed France. The AI had six years to build forts in Belgium and the Netherlands so one has to be quite careful to choose the right route for panzerdivisions. However France fell in around one month. It wasn’t hard but I felt it a challenge until Paris was stormed.

Then I quickly conquered Yugoslavia, Greece, Denmark and Norway. So in less than a one year after starting the war (or technically it was UK that declared war on Germany), I was ready to start Barbarossa unhistorically already in May 1940. But since I had tried WiF2 a few times before I felt that there is very slim chance to win quick or at all in the east if Barbarossa is started in 1941. Another concern was the USA with over 1000 IC: they probably join the war in late 1941 so I wanted knock SU out before that.

1940 Barbarossa is easier because of the bad condition of the Red Army, on the other hand it must be dealt with fewer forces: I had perhaps 15 panzerdivisions and 6 mot. divisions with around 100 inf. Luckily my powerful allies Romania and Hungary could spare some divisions to help.

Barbarossa was awesome, immersive and painful experience. I don’t remember when the last time I had such feelings of joy and despair. The mood changed rapidly when I managed to make huge encirclements, on the other hand every time spotted another 30 division group appearing in front of me when at the same time my own troops were exhausted and under strength.. In late 1940 I managed to take Moscow, encircle Leningrad (I prefer the southern rout because of its economic importance Ukraine /Caucasus but strong Red Army forces there made advancing in the north “easier” so after taking Kharkov southern direction was stopped until next summer). Perhaps ~150 enemy divisions were destroyed. Despite these losses, the Red Army gave me a chilling winter with stiffening resistance and counter attacks. The AI even managed to encircle and destroy some divisions of mine.

At the same time my oil reserves were depleted. By spring 1941 I had to trade some oil from other countries but that was not enough. I barely managed to take Caucasus and break through to Siberia in the summer and autumn 1941. Every day was exciting and probably my blood pressure shot to the roof because of the AIs capabilities to resistance.

Luckily bitter peace came late 1941 just when Japan invaded in the Pacific. After Barbarossa game became easier: tons of flak guns depleting Allied air power in the West: an armored thrust to Persia and the Middle East and reconquest of North Africa for Italy. Oil reserves were filled quickly after they had reached zero in autumn 1941. I only thought what it would be to play Germany if Red Army could defend Caucasus over a year?

In 1946 I managed to take exhausted defenders of UK by surprise with huge paratroop offensive combined with panzers coming over the channel with lorries, just evading the revenge seeking Home Fleet.

After UK down (Canada annexed them) I consider the game a victory. USA has dropped one nuke in Italy but now its much harder to reach Europe without airfields in UK. I also have nukes but haven’t used the one produced.

So, thank you one more time. This mod is very enjoyable, with some nerve excruciating moments.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I started a 1933 Germany game, I played until january 1935 and nothing has happened, no election, no events, nothing. Is this a bug?
It could be an issue with the installation. Make sure your directory looks like this: ...Darkest_Hour_1_05\Mods\World in Flames II\AI... and NOT ...Darkest_Hour_1_05\Mods\World in Flames II\World in Flames II\AI...

never in solo but in multiplayer games it's happen from time to time, due to desync I think (on WiF with DH 1.03 and 1.05)
Fortunately the game doesn't go far so you can relaunch another one

I got a problem with the mod. China starts with about 100 divisions locked into position without the ability to move them or unlock them. What event triggers them being able to move? The 'fifth encirclement campaign' event never happened, i cant move armies anywhere and i cant build anything either. What the eff?

I got a problem with the mod. China starts with about 100 divisions locked into position without the ability to move them or unlock them. What event triggers them being able to move? The 'fifth encirclement campaign' event never happened, i cant move armies anywhere and i cant build anything either. What the eff?
Just loaded up this mod. The divisions in Nanjing and Changsha are not locked, the rest, however, is not movable for the time being.

Just loaded up this mod. The divisions in Nanjing and Changsha are not locked, the rest, however, is not movable for the time being.
Yeah i get it, i get about 75 divisions but even after the Sino Japanese war in '37 they remain still. I lost about 40 cuz they're locked and cant retreat.

Reactions:
Hello!
I'd like to restart my WiF experience with the "new" 1,05 version. But, as mentioned above, music and graphic pack links are both broken. Are both packs still available somewhere?
Please help!