• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #58 - Stre(ss)tching the traits

Hello everyone!

Nice to meet you all! I recently joined the Crusader Kings III game design team and am honored to inaugurate my PDX account with this Dev Diary. Today we will cover two improvements planned for the upcoming patch: additional content and AI warfare improvements.

Trait changes

One of the many pleasures of Crusader Kings is to personify a plethora of characters. Every one of them offers a good opportunity to roleplay, thanks to the various combinations of traits they offer. The Azure patch will expand upon existing content by updating and adding some trait-specific interactions and consequences. With this update, we want to connect the stress system even closer to personality traits.

One of the notable changes is for Shy: it will no longer generate Stress when launching a Personal Scheme. Shy characters can still receive Stress via some of the scheme event options however, and they will be less efficient at performing personal schemes (it will take them longer), but they will be able to do it without ending up having a mental breakdown.

We also added a few new interactions and decisions. For instance, Forgiving characters can abandon one of their hooks to lose Stress. You can either decide to be a truly forgiving character, abandoning a hook you obtained unwittingly, or you can actively look for hooks and then choose to be merciful. We have also added new options for Diligent characters; they can dedicate themselves to improving the Development of their Capital, but doing so will generate a lot of Stress. Finally, if Impatient characters are Stressed, they can speed up the progress of their current Personal Scheme, without affecting their current Stress levels.

17ypLPkLPOs0EHv4oF9l9KTLDMNySc81oQCf6eKWcXJa58REKYby6cESmzziKPkJJ73u-2gwJA4DUJoTwv_7JnddPgg_DRtTyAjdeSmVux_EYPoqoKoNqi7iAeYzkEMyOW4r85x9

[Image of the Develop Capital decision available for Diligent characters]

Some traits have also gained access to interactions that are not related to the stress system but still improve upon the expression of their personality. For instance, Arbitrary characters can now dismiss a Hook a vassal holds on them by spending a lot of Prestige and gaining Tyranny.

bgq3ZnaSlYfZu6FwHqdyrh9epMpAUxt1dUK-PcIzPJeR4AiwMMbh8HX7VhSLykv3JAjMDZXMwKLp5oqtd-fPSBYYZ6sWmGvJfE6KgqV92jPu3lhVhdM4HFs1dabrREv2gN2XEvUR

[Image of the Dismiss Hook interaction available for Arbitrary characters]

We would love to hear your feedback, and also suggestions for improving other traits!

AI and Warfare

There is also a number of AI improvements, mostly about how the AI moves its units while at war. Pathfinding has been revised, and AI armies should now take more optimal routes to reach their targets, whether they be close but surrounded by treacherous terrain, or far away across the sea (which was most visible during Crusades; there will be no more island hopping for Christian armies, and Vikings should also be more swift and direct in their raids). The new pathfinding logic now factors in time, attrition and threat when selecting and routing to a destination.

Getting close to the enemy is only the first step in warfare though, and the AI should behave more sensibly in other areas too. After winning crucial battles, AI armies should use their full might to more efficiently besiege enemy fortresses - you should see less mangonels and bombards chasing peasants while there is a perfectly good castle waiting to be ruined. We also adjusted the AI behaviors depending on their Casus Bellis, making sure that they not only prioritize territorial conquest but also capturing hostages when relevant. While there’s likely to be some odd behaviors in the military AI still, we believe this will be a noticeable change in the right direction.

Lastly, an important organizational change: the version number of the patch will be 1.4 instead of 1.3.X as announced previously. This is to make the scope of the patch a bit clearer. While it is still a relatively small patch, it is also larger than a hotfix or a pure bugfix patch we've released in the past. Some mods will need to be updated. And while we always strive to keep save games compatible, with the nature of the game you might still run into edge cases with your old saves that we did not catch.

And that’s it for today! Thanks again for your precious feedback, and please keep providing more! I hope you enjoyed it, and see you next week for more information about the Azure patch!

• 254Like
  • 50Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Does that mean that the first expansion will be 1.5, or that the former 1.3.X patch (and its modding tools) will only be released with the expansion?

1.3.X no longer exists; it's been renamed to 1.4.

This feels to me like a carefully worded answer that doesn't rule out the first expansion coming out alongside 1.4 :)

Reactions:
I know those might, in game terms, amount to the same thing
And, keep in mind, in an elective system some people won't vote for "the puppet of a tyrant" while they will vote for someone they like a little less than they used to.

Reactions:
Regarding suggestions for additional trait effects:
-> Lazy: You can decide to let other people handle more of your responsibilities than usual. Pay Prestige to lose Stress.
-> Greedy: You can use demand payment for hooks without the stewardship perk. If you do have the perk, you gain more from it money.
-> Zealous: You can challenge people of different faiths to a duel even if they are not your rival.
-> Generous: You can donate some of your money to the poor people of one of your counties, increasing popular opinion and maybe giving you piety if generous is a virtue in your faith.
-> Content: You can voluntarily abdicate if you are over 60 years old. This one might be a bit too strong, but there could be additional restrictions on it.
-> Cynical: You can make a great effort to convice infidels that you are not as bad as others of your faith. You spend a lot of piety, but a religion that would normally consider you evil only considers you hostile instead. Kind of a new version of the CK2 "sympathy for X"-Traits.
-> Stubborn: If one of your seduce, romance or befriend schemes fails, you can take a lot of stress in order to try again without having to wait for the cooldown to expire.

• 14Like
Reactions:
What kind of real-world action does "dismiss hook in exchange for tyranny" represent?
Personally, I see it as a: "you did me a favour and I guess I owe you one in return, but I do not care," and that the tyranny represents the ruler's unwillingness to fulfill some of their obligations as the liege and doing what they want regardless of circumstances. I suppose one can see it in many ways :)

• 28Like
Reactions:
Personally, I see it as a: "you did me a favour and I guess I owe you one in return, but I do not care," and that the tyranny represents the ruler's unwillingness to fulfill some of their obligations as the liege and doing what they want regardless of circumstances. I suppose one can see it in many ways :)

Cool. I think it works that way.

The other way (i.e. the Tyranny representing the hook itself being revealed) wouldn't quite work, I think. For example, if the hook was to do with adultary, it wouldn't make sense for the ruler's spouse to get a Tyranny opinion malus on the ruler (as opposed to a "cheated on me" opinion malus) when the hook is revealed.

Reactions:
Welcome! I'm really liking the content we've been seeing these past DDs. Also really appreciative of the fact that we're getting weekly DDs lately!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Regarding suggestions for additional trait effects:
-> Zealous: You can challenge people of different faiths to a duel even if they are not your rival.
Yes, that please. Also letting us duel excommunicated people if we're zealous, like in CK2

• 1Like
Reactions:
The first expansion is definitely not coming out alongside 1.4.

Cheers for confirming before my imagination ran away with me :)

Can I ask one more thing (totally fine if you're not be able to answer it)?

1.3.X was said to be coming "before the vacation season (the summer vacation usually starts late June and ends by the end of July) - but depending on how our plans work out, it might release during late summer". I took that to mean sometime between June and August (or maybe September, technically).

Does the patch becoming "1.4" alter that rough timescale and, if so, does that mean we shouldn't expect the first expansion this side of August?

EDIT: I really wish I knew why this is getting so many "respectfully disagrees" on this and my other questions? Do people not like the question? Or do people not like the idea that the next DLC won't be soon (though, if it's that, why "respectfully disagree" someone asking the question?) Or something else?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks for the DD! Really looking forward to AI war improvements. It's something the community was actively requesting, so thanks for that!

Reactions:
Cheers for confirming before my imagination ran away with me :)

Can I ask one more thing (totally fine if you're not be able to answer it)?

1.3.X was said to be coming "before the vacation season (the summer vacation usually starts late June and ends by the end of July) - but depending on how our plans work out, it might release during late summer". I took that to me sometime between June and August (or maybe September, technically).

Does the patch becoming "1.4" alter that rough timescale and, if so, does that mean we shouldn't expect the first expansion this side of August?
No, the timescale has not changed (much), it is just a "name change" to reflect the size/impact of the patch.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The first expansion is definitely not coming out alongside 1.4.
No, the timescale has not changed (much), it is just a "name change" to reflect the size/impact of the patch.
Thanks, that clarifies it!
Excited for the 1.4 patch and 1.5 + the first expansion

Reactions:
Makes sense for favour hooks. But for a blackmail hook because you murdered someone? It should either not work for blackmail hooks or reveal the secret.

Reactions:
For instance, Forgiving characters can abandon one of their hooks to lose Stress. You can either decide to be a truly forgiving character, abandoning a hook you obtained unwittingly, or you can actively look for hooks and then choose to be merciful.
Can a Forgiving character just abandon the house head hooks they get on every member of the family? Does this mean that forgiving characters never have to worry about stress?

Reactions:
Welcome Meedoc!

Character traits and AI bugfixes, two of my top priorities for CK in the same DD. So good to read!

Reactions:
Makes sense for favour hooks. But for a blackmail hook because you murdered someone? It should either not work for blackmail hooks or reveal the secret.
Conceptually I agree! :) That being said, I cannot give any further comments on it because I'm not working on the Azure patch.

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
So with the AI improvement, could we get a carpet siege option, whereby we select a small detachment or perhaps merc armies, and they can carpet siege wherever there are no forts within a given region? Could that happen?

• 1Like
Reactions: