• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll be talking a little bit about how colonial nations are evolving with Leviathan.

When a colony nation is formed you can pick what kind of colony this will be. This type of colony can then be upgraded for a cost for the overlord and a change of liberty desire for the subject. You can always change a colony to become another type of colony, but that will increase their liberty desire.

eu4_27.png

Crown Colony
This type of colony is for areas you want to have most control over, where liberty desire should be lowest.
  • global_autonomy = -0.05
  • recover_army_morale_speed = 0.02
  • embracement_cost = -0.1
  • governing_capacity = 100
  • global_autonomy = -0.05
  • global_colonial_growth = 10

Increase Draft from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Land Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Land Forcelimit for Subject
Enlarge the Gold Fleet (+10 Liberty Desire)
+20% Treasure Fleet Income for overlord
Increase Religious Control (+10 Liberty Desire)
+1% Missionary Strength & -1 Heathen Tolerance for Subject
Increase Integration (-10 Liberty Desire)
-10 Liberty Desire for Subject & TBD for Overlord

Private Enterprise
This is the colony type you want to have when you want to maximize profits, where you want the colony to providea strong navy and control trade.
  • global_ship_trade_power = 0.2
  • merchants = 1
  • production_efficiency = 0.05
  • global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.2
  • naval_tradition_from_trade = 0.1
  • ship_power_propagation = 0.1
  • 5% less Tariffs for Overlord

Increase Trade Power Transfer (+10 Liberty Desire)
+2% Trade Power for Overlord, and -10% Trade Power for Subject
Encourage Cash Crops (+10 Liberty Desire)
Increases likelihood of cash-crop goods to appear for subjects new colonies.
Increase Navies from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Naval Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Naval Forcelimit for Subject
Increase the Gold Tax (+10 Liberty Desire)
Effects TBD

Self-Governing Colony
This is the colony type that will expand and develop fastest, but they will have the highest liberty desire, and the perks you can give them are not beneficial directly to you.

• merchants = 1
  • production_efficiency = 0.05
  • colonists = 1
  • development_cost = -0.15
  • liberty_desire = 25
  • 10% less Tariffs for Overlord

Allow Autonomous Trade (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more trade power for subject.
Allow Autonomous Taxing (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more tax for subject
Allow Autonomous Militias (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more manpower for subject
Allow Autonomous Navy (-5 Liberty Desire)
+10% more Sailors for Subject

There are also different events happening depending on which colonial type your colony is.
eu4_28.png

We are not just adding new features and polishing them, for 1.31 there is also currently over 500 different older bugs that has been fixed so far, and we have been busy tweaking and improving the interface as well.

Some of the UI improvements include.

- Alert for Inactive Merchants
- Alert for when one of your coasts are being invaded by an army.
- When you view rebels in the stability view, the locations will revolt risk for that rebel will highlight on then map.

Now we are taking a small hiatus from development diaries, until we are back to talk about diplomacy by the end of March.

Last edited:
Could have been more though. I'll hold out hope for the possibility of a big rework of South America including CN changes.

That will not happen in Leviathan.

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
That will not happen in Leviathan.
I know, but I wasn't saying it would. If there were we would have known by now. I'm talking about long term, with a lot of people saying they want a SA rework in mind. And I know there'll be time for a long term because of model artists fishing for suggestions in the DLC render archive.

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Good changes. Three questions: 1) Will CNs still have the tolerance ideas and not convert religion? 2) Will CNs colonize outside of their colonial area? 3) Will colonies culture convert? I’d like to see these all addressed.

Maybe could tie some of these into specific CN interactions, dependent on the type of colony. For example, I‘d prefer to be able to limit (or enable in some instances) when CN can colonize outside their region, or that they convert culture/religion- but maybe self-governing colonies can’t be restricted in this way and it’s just a drawback that comes with the increased power.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We are not just adding new features and polishing them, for 1.31 there is also currently over 500 different older bugs that has been fixed so far, and we have been busy tweaking and improving the interface as well.

Does that include the female heir bug that has been around since the Emperor release?

And what about culture conversion in colonial subjects?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, that looks nice. Though I wanted to ask, since it's on the topic of colonies and interactions. Are there any plans to give the player the option to force the CN to stop developing with a colonist? It's rather a pain to not be able to complete a mission that requires certain buildings in colonial regions because the CN has been colonist developing its capital for two centuries.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice DD, excited to play a colony game again. Regarding diplomacy, please consider adding a means to command or allow vassals to declare war on its neighbor where it has a claim, with the option to interfere if things go south. This feature is already present for colonies. It would be an awesome addition for tall play I think, would be amazing if we could encourage vassals at the border front to expand on their own or concentrate development to the overlord capital, while we sit cozily on our prosperous empire.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This will be applied for natives too?

There will be a option in convert action to ensure like a rebellion? Which just increase the liberty desire?
I remember that already has a option in the game, but not for colonies if I'm not wrong.

Another thing related to colonies: Can we please please PLEASE get the option to play as our colony without releasing it? I really want to do an ironman run where I play as a colonial nation and have to win my freedom, and there's absolutely no reason not to allow such a thing (especially considering we can already play as vassals when we create them).
Yeah, absolutely necessary. There's no way to simulate a war for independence in Iron Man.

• 3Like
Reactions:
They seem to be struggling with this ever since the website update. Some dev diaries just never get posted to the front page.
Eu4 is the only one I've noticed. CK3 had an issue a few weeks ago but they've uploaded here the last two weeks. Unless you're talking about Paradox's non-Grand Strategy games; in that case I wouldn't know as I don't play them. Admittedly it's not a big deal, but when the other four Grand Strategy titles are able to post here it makes it look like a decision not to rather than technical difficulties.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is a great concept, but will changing Colony type also change the was the AI CN will play as well, or will it just change what bonuses they get?

I think this would be much more effective/interesting if the colony type also affected the CNs behavior, similar to how you can set subject's behavior in war. For example:

• Private Enterprise - CN will spend more money on light ships to protect trade, develop provinces with high-value trade goods (gold, tobacco, etc.)
  • Self-Governing - CN will focus on colonizing more land and fabricate claims on bordering nations.
  • Crown Colony - CN will focus on building and developing existing provinces to increase tariffs? Not sure about this one...

• Colonies don't switch colour when you form a different tag. I'm not sure if it was a bug, but my colonies as Holland didn't become orange upon forming the Netherlands.
  • Western Amazon and that basin in California (forgot it's name) wastelands don't get coloured when colonies follow the proper borders of the regions.
  • Subjects' colonies don't integrate into your colonies when inheriting a PU or annexing vassals. I know people like the extra merchants, but I prefer prettier borders.
I've been begging an eternity for some colonial nation fixes, so I just want to know, are any of these issues including the colonies colonising outside of their colonial regions addressed? It would honestly just go a long way to making borders prettier and the game... you know... playable...

Reactions:
Eu4 is the only one I've noticed. CK3 had an issue a few weeks ago but they've uploaded here the last two weeks. Unless you're talking about Paradox's non-Grand Strategy games; in that case I wouldn't know as I don't play them. Admittedly it's not a big deal, but when the other four Grand Strategy titles are able to post here it makes it look like a decision not to rather than technical difficulties.
Last year there would be multiple weeks in between postings of EU4 dev diaries to the front page. It's improved quite a bit, but it's still spotty.

Reactions:
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll be talking a little bit about how colonial nations are evolving with Leviathan.
I like the colonial nation changes but....

...I LOVE reading that bugfixes are coming! :):):):):):):)

500 bugfixes is a huge amount of effort! This is great, team! Fixing old bugs improves the game more than any number of new features.

- Alert for when one of your coasts are being invaded by an army.
I have been caught out numerous times by unnoticed invasions when playing as a worldwide maritime empire (British/English/Dutch), so this is a great improvement, thank you!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Very excellent dev diary, I usually don't say anything on them but this one warranted a response.
I have a few questions:

Will the colony types be new subject types within the 'colonial' umbrella, will they be base-level government reforms, or will they be just modifiers/subject interactions?

Will colonies that have the 'Increase Religious Control' interaction active ignore their idea that makes them not convert religion? Perhaps a better one would to have it be the opposite, where a colony as a baseline would convert religion, with an interaction to stop them from doing it?

Will trade companies be made into an actual subject type similar to the Private Enterprise colony type, so autonomous/semi-autonomous entities such as the East India Company actually act on their own accord?

Will AI colonizers be weighted towards making certain colony types based off of historical choices? For example, will Spain prefer to make New Spain a Crown Colony and will Britain prefer to make the 13 Colonies a Self-Governing Colony?

Lastly, I just have a suggestion that could provide a solution to colonies expanding outside of their Colonial Region: add a new interaction that allows the overlord to determine where an AI colony will expand into on a regional level, not a Colonial Region level. In this way, one could better represent a colony such as New Spain, that was massive and wasn't relegated to just the game's Colonial Mexico region - it included at it's largest all Spanish holdings in the Colonial California, Colonial Louisiana, and Colonial Caribbean regions (plus Florida, and the Phillipines + the rest of Spain's pacific territory). If the AI were weighted for doing this on a historical precedent, I feel it could fix a lot of the issues people have with CNs expanding messily. Perhaps the colony ignoring this order if their Liberty Desire was above 50% could be a good mechanic, with LD increasing if they have the ability to expand but are not allowed to.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Seeing the "Increase Religious Control" interaction with the CN made me wonder: the event that makes you decide whether becoming a Monarchy or a Republic when you get indipendence, will finally include a third option for becoming a Theocracy? We didn't have any precedent in history but with the changes to theocracies in Emperor seemed cool to give this option.

• 4Like
Reactions: