EU4 Dev Clash #12 - Emperor - Wednesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think they're pretty much a paper tiger since their army consists of nearly pure infantry. I wouldn't expect much from such a country but we're talking about Starnan here.

In MP you don't actually need that much artillery. All you need is 2-3 combat width Cannon stacks, and the rest should be all infantry to soak up the damage.

I think they're pretty much a paper tiger since their army consists of nearly pure infantry. I wouldn't expect much from such a country but we're talking about Starnan here.

1v1 is questionable for the StarNan, but when he doesn't fight alone, his infantry will serve as excellent capable fodders, a great number of cannon fodders.

Also, what ideas did the StarNaN choose? Ming ideas has 5% discipline and no morale, but a decent quality should remain possible, no?

Last edited:
Reactions:
In MP you don't actually need that much artillery. All you need is 2-3 combat width Cannon stacks, and the rest should be all infantry to soak up the damage.
I don't have any multiplayer experience nor do i have much knowledge about the meta game. But AFAIK you are in a big disadvantage if you don't fill up your combat width including back row. Lacking cavalry is not so important sadly but since they are now in the late game it's especially important to bring up enough cannons to the battlefield. Though as @ReconUHD said below if he could combine his infantry with some allies that would do the job. I doubt it though.
1v1 is questionable for the StarNan, but when he doesn't fight alone, his infantry will serve as excellent capable fodders, a great number of cannon fodders.

Also, what ideas did the StarNaN choose? Ming ideas has 5% discipline and no morale, but a decent quality should remain possible, no?
However he seeks a 1v1 fight :) I don't know the ideas either.

But AFAIK you are in a big disadvantage if you don't fill up your combat width including back row.
Yeah, they're specifically saying you don't need to have a lot of 'battle ready' stacks because you won't be using every single stack to engage individually with. If you have, for example, two or three armies that have full combat width of cannon all the rest of your armies can be pure infantry used to reinforce those battle ready stacks after a battle is already taking place. At that point you don't need to keep adding cannons to the fight because they're, ideally, never moving to the front row and fighting because you have those constant influxes of infantry to soak up the damage dealt. It just means you have to micro your armies.

Reactions:
Yeah, they're specifically saying you don't need to have a lot of 'battle ready' stacks because you won't be using every single stack to engage individually with. If you have, for example, two or three armies that have full combat width of cannon all the rest of your armies can be pure infantry used to reinforce those battle ready stacks after a battle is already taking place. At that point you don't need to keep adding cannons to the fight because they're, ideally, never moving to the front row and fighting because you have those constant influxes of infantry to soak up the damage dealt. It just means you have to micro your armies.

And that is what I learned in my first MP game (this one :D). I have a big army, but I was trying to follow the regular SP army composition and had a lot of useless cannons in those coalition wars. I will do some adjustments and will also try my new "economy hegemon"-high discipline mercenaries.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I see, so he can make use of those 100-ish cannons somewhat.

Can we get a culture map mode?

Congrats to KJ. Just give him some ais and he'll do wonders. I'm happy an American may win though he is primarily Asian based.

Really rooting for Brazil though. Sift that gold!

• 1Love
Reactions:
What a dev-clash for the AIs.

The legendary failed crusade vs the Ottoman AI, the Ming AI single-handedly beating back their neighbors, the Mamluks AI being ridiculous resilient against the next wave of crusaders (+ Tunis), the Mexican AI suddenly making us aware of a new catapulting world power, and now the Papal AI.

The rest of the dev-clash has been fun, but I think the AIs have easily given me the most entertainment, especially those first 3.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Petition to have the next dev clash played on very hard. It would be quite entertaining, and a bloodbath.

It would certainly be a bloodbath but I think it'd be too much player-vs-ai focus. It already takes us long enough to dismantle the Ottomans or Ming :)

Reactions:
Perplexed why Japan got part of Bengal out of the Delhian war - ....what did Japan even do to contribute in that war? That's a very large share of the land for the input they actually had in my opinion. I'm sure devs work in mysterious ways though :cool:

What an awesome dev clash. The epic battle between East and West over third place was spectacular to watch and incredibly tense with the back and forth. While I can agree that having Ming get a trophy is somewhat unfair, Starnan fought hard for it and especially getting the Indians who had been part of the world vs Ming coalition was the deciding factor, FrenchParadox was so close to coming third had their allies not sided with Timurids against the Indians. Also Benin joining helped so much, though I do feel it was justified for the Europeans joining in the war against the Papacy.

While the top two nations Brazil and Japan didn't get involved in many player wars this session, I do feel both deserve their respective first and second trophies considering how well they both played militarily and diplomatically, since they were allied it was unlikely they would come to blows but would've been cool to see a fight for the Spain between the top hegemonies.

I do wonder if in future relocated nations get halved score again, or have more nations spread out so the dev clash is more balanced (such as having players mixed both inside and outside of Europe, hence relocated nations aren't uncontested in new world and Asia). Also do feel that hegemonies are a bit OP in regard of ticking score bonuses, though as Kaiser Johan showed it does paint a target on your back and is relatively easy to lose. Maybe in future we'll see more nations following French Paradox's example and preventing nations from consolidating too much power from their hegemony.

Overall very epic dev clash, tonnes of memorable fights well played to all involved, especially Sir Rodgers for not giving up and sticking with Austria too the very end :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
StarNAN wins a trophy for, over the course of the game, doing nothing spectacular.

Wow.
Yeah, getting kicked out of your initial nation and getting placed into the most powerful country in eu4 to barely get 3rd place seems a bit wrong. At minimum there should some kind of score penalty, 25%, 50%, idk, but it shouldnt be nothing. The same goes for Kaiser Johan btw. I think, in any competitive format, it shouldnt be a viable strategy to get knocked out and essentially get a free re-roll in more favorable conditions.

Reactions: