The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think I made it Chinese, as I could directly translate its Japanese name into Chinese, but Toho could be its more Western-oriented branch serving as a bridge between isolated Chiang-era China and the rest of the world.

Well I'd like to think that Toho's indeed the more Western-Oriented branch, hence why they were able to acquire Roman actors for their films too, though obviously this was only allowed in later films, provided the shots are in Fusang. Far away from the Chinese mainland.

But does he have his campy theme song?:p

Come now, we all know this would play at the beginning of Jet Jaguar Saves the World just for the comedic factor :p

I think it could be better if the Shisa were replaced with Chinese guardian lions (which they were based on in real life). There's no way the junta would allow for its most popular movie franchise to have more Japanese influences than Chinese (unless the Japanese Toho branch retained creative control).

I'd like to think that the Godzilla movies have their Chinese, Japanese and Roman dubs, hence why Japanese fans will be debating with their Chinese counterparts as to whether or not King Ceasar was either based on the guardian lions or the Shinto Shisas. Then you got the Romans butting in saying the kaiju's obviously named after Julius Ceasar :p

Kind of ironic how the monster is named Varan then.

Bonus points as to the only Kaiju movie Valentin ever saw, leading to his hatred of anything related to Godzilla. Doesn't help the KGB probably smuggled a couple of Goji movies too :p

@zenphoenix Also, since you've seen KOTM as well, you're gonna love what I've planned for the Monsterverse segment, though obviously a summary of Hohenzollernverse KOTM is obviously not gonna happen (Not till Godzilla vs Kong is released in our time that is), the mythical aspects of the Titans are fleshed out even more. And let's just say, a certain fire demon, may or may not have appeared in Mexican folklore regarding the founding of Tenochtitlan. The Monsterverse will be wildly different compared to ours, so stay tuned for that once we reach that particual segment.

Well I'd like to think that Toho's indeed the more Western-Oriented branch, hence why they were able to acquire Roman actors for their films too, though obviously this was only allowed in later films, provided the shots are in Fusang. Far away from the Chinese mainland.
That makes sense.
Come now, we all know this would play at the beginning of Jet Jaguar Saves the World just for the comedic factor :p
Good, good.
I'd like to think that the Godzilla movies have their Chinese, Japanese and Roman dubs, hence why Japanese fans will be debating with their Chinese counterparts as to whether or not King Ceasar was either based on the guardian lions or the Shinto Shisas. Then you got the Romans butting in saying the kaiju's obviously named after Julius Ceasar :p
And then there are other Romans who say the kaiju's named after Augustus Caesar.:D
Bonus points as to the only Kaiju movie Valentin ever saw, leading to his hatred of anything related to Godzilla. Doesn't help the KGB probably smuggled a couple of Goji movies too :p
No thanks to Olga.:p She's probably a huge fan these days.
@zenphoenix Also, since you've seen KOTM as well, you're gonna love what I've planned for the Monsterverse segment, though obviously a summary of Hohenzollernverse KOTM is obviously not gonna happen (Not till Godzilla vs Kong is released in our time that is), the mythical aspects of the Titans are fleshed out even more. And let's just say, a certain fire demon, may or may not have appeared in Mexican folklore regarding the founding of Tenochtitlan. The Monsterverse will be wildly different compared to ours, so stay tuned for that once we reach that particual segment.
I'm seriously hyped for that now.

Great work, as usual. That Uberman & Catman movie is much better than OTL that's for sure. I'm a bit confused by the Templar reference at the end of BvS though, I'm pretty sure that's suposed to be Catman? That might be a mix up from your notes of the Annionaverse DCEU, you might want to fix it any way. Just a heads up.

@TWR97 also did a great job, though I'm a little sad by a lack of Gamera. Oh well, he can always show up in a later summary, so it’s not too big a deal. Looking forward to your following interludes.:)

Alright, I've just finished the Spartacus interlude and I'm ready to share it with y'all . I've also including a song in this update because I thought it was fitting. I hope all you guys enjoy it, helpful feedback and maybe a little constructive criticisms would be nice. I hope you all enjoy the interlude.:)
Luxemburg_Liebknecht.jpg

Rosa Luxembourg and Karl Liebnecht, the leading revolutionaries and faces of the League of Spartacus Party. Other prominent members of the Spartacus League include Clara Zetkin, Elise Anniona (who renounced her royal titles when she witnessed a violent crackdown crackdown in 1935 on union strikers in Linz.), Gustav Lübeck (Luxembourg’s former husband and unionist) and Luxembourg's daughter, Rosa "Luxembourg" Parks (Rosa Luxembourg remarried to a Malian man in 1912, in a time when interracial marriage and divorce was rare for the Reich).

roman_empire_american_flag_by_frankoko-d4nfck9.png

Official flag of the League of Red Spartacus Themes.

Not long ago, the Roman Reich was a proud and mighty nation. Pride, squandered in a pointless war fought only for the interest of the Imperialistic elite. "Might", only for the nobility and wealthy industrializes to squash the helpless worker under an iron fist. Comrades, I have seen a different Rhomania. I have seen a Roman Reich where desperate commoners live in poverty, effectively serfs in all but name. I have seen endless decadence erode the foundations of this once great nation, slowly corrupted by the evil scourge of capitalism. The rule of the Kaisers, where there was once kindness and fairness, now ruled with suspicion and greed, no thanks to the markets and the influence of robber barons.

When we formed the Sparatcus League in 1914, we saw the true face of this Rome. I saw Roman workers, fathers and sons, being sent to die in a pointless war aboard or murdered in the streets by Dynatoi thugs, the Roman worker enslaved and oppressed. They belived they had won the war on the workers of the Reich, but they'd be proven wrong when Chairman Liebknecht returned from the glorious revolutions in China and the Eimericas, promising to emancipate the Roman proletariat from their chains, much like how the Spartacus of antiquity lead the downtrodden slaves against their former masters.

The declaration of marshal law would be the final insult to the underclasses of this country. We rose up and the Damascus sun dawned on the great army of a hundred thousand comrades, flying the scarlet banners of the revolution. Go tell "the Caesar", go tell "the Doux" and go tell "His Holiness" that we are Spartacus come again and the revolution will never stop till every battle is won.

Break the Chains!
Which side are you on boys?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?

They say in Hallstatt County
There are no neutrals there.
You'll either be a union man
Or be a Hapsburg thug.

Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?

My father was a miner,
And I'm a miner's son,
We'll fight with you fellow workers
Until this battle's won.

Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?

Oh workers can you stand it?
Oh tell me how you can?
Will you be a lousy scab
Or will you be a man?

Which side are you on?

Last edited:
With the release of the German Empire video for Kaiserreich now you should do one for either the Kingdom of Prussia or the Chinese empire (Whichever suits you, but both could be intetesting @CaptainAlvious ). I love this new Communist update. Roxa Luxemburg was a surprise to be sure but a welcome one I say.

In regards to the Gamera films I sadly have little background on them other than that the movies for the giant turtle will still exist alongside the Heisei trilogy, expect him to see in a later interlude though ;). Since Toho and Daiei (Gamera's holders) would pretty much be just branches of the same movie studio, I'd like to think both studious only have this friendly rivalry going on instead of what they had in OTL. Ishiro Honda directed some Gamera movies when he's not working on sci fi movies or another Godzilla movies, he'd pretty much be the father of the kaiju genre in this timeline (So in a weird way Godzilla and Gamera would be brothers :p). Godzilla would obviously be the more well known kaiju (Kinda like Mickey) while Gamera's a pretty popular kaiju in Oriental theaters, especially to kids, but only has a cult following in Western theaters (He'd be like Oswald the Lucky rabbit), after the Mingzhong Gamera trilogy releases however, that's where Gamera starts getting more popular.

Great work, as usual. That Uberman & Catman movie is much better than OTL that's for sure. I'm a bit confused by the Templar reference at the end of BvS though, I'm pretty sure that's suposed to be Catman? That might be a mix up from your notes of the Annionaverse DCEU, you might want to fix it any way. Just a heads up.
Yeah the summaries were originally intended for the Annionaverse before I rewrote them for the Hohenzollernverse, so thanks for pointing that out.

Also I'm not sure if you've seen my PM yesterday about a plot point I want to discuss.
In regards to the Gamera films I sadly have little background on them other than that the movies for the giant turtle will still exist alongside the Heisei trilogy, expect him to see in a later interlude though ;). Since Toho and Daiei (Gamera's holders) would pretty much be just branches of the same movie studio, I'd like to think both studious only have this friendly rivalry going on instead of what they had in OTL. Ishiro Honda directed some Gamera movies when he's not working on sci fi movies or another Godzilla movies, he'd pretty much be the father of the kaiju genre in this timeline (So in a weird way Godzilla and Gamera would be brothers :p). Godzilla would obviously be the more well known kaiju (Kinda like Mickey) while Gamera's a pretty popular kaiju in Oriental theaters, especially to kids, but only has a cult following in Western theaters (He'd be like Oswald the Lucky rabbit), after the Mingzhong Gamera trilogy releases however, that's where Gamera starts getting more popular.
Gamera might be preferred to Chinese audiences and considered a national icon, while Godzilla slowly changes to be more marketable to Western audiences, so any rivalry between the two could be interpreted as representing Sino-Roman rivalries and the struggle between liberal modernization and junta tradition.

The Life of His Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Joseph I

Ecumenical Patriarch Joseph I, born Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili, was the head of the Orthodox Church in the mid-20th century, particularly during World War II and the years after. Before becoming Ecumenical Patriarch, he served as secretary of the Department of Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs, papal nuncio to India, and Ecumenical Secretary of State, in which capacity he worked to conclude treaties with other nations, such as the Ministry of State of the Rasa regime, but also with representatives of the Angeloi.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate openly supported the Loyalist side during World War II and the Second Roman Civil War. Joseph maintained links to the Loyalist Resistance, used diplomacy to aid the victims of the war and lobby for peace, and spoke out against race-based murders and other atrocities. His diplomacy with Rasa India, work with the Angeloi Reichskonkordat, and leadership of the Church during the war remain the subject of controversy—including allegations of public silence and inaction about the fate of the Muslims. After the war, he advocated peace and reconciliation, including lenient policies towards former Axis and Axis-satellite nations. He was also a staunch opponent of equalism and of the Soviet occupation of the Roman east.

During his tenure, the Church issued the Decree against Equalism, declaring Christians who profess equalist doctrine in the Soviet style are to be excommunicated as apostates from the Christian faith. In retaliation, the Church experienced severe persecution and mass deportations of Christian clergy in the Occupied Territories, contributing to the rapid decline of Christianity behind the Iron Curtain and its later revival in various forms, such as the post-reunification Roman religious right.

After his 1958 death, he was succeeded by Ecumenical Patriarch Theodoros XXIII (Theodor Karl Innitzer), who was himself a Resistance leader. In the process toward sainthood, his cause for canonization was opened on 18 November 1965 during the final session of that year's Ecumenical Council. He was made a Servant of God by Ecumenical Patriarch Ioannes II in 1990 and was declared Venerable on 19 December 2009.

Joseph was born in the Transcaucasian town of Gori on 18 December 1878 to an ethnically Georgian family, and Joseph grew up speaking the Georgian language; for most of his life, he would primarily speak Greek with a heavy accent. Gori was then home to a population of 20,000, the majority of whom were Georgian but with Armenian, Russian, Greek, and Jewish minorities. Joseph was baptized on 29 December. He was nicknamed "Soso", a diminutive of "Ioseb".

His father, Besarion, was a shoemaker and owned his own workshop; it was initially a financial success, but later fell into decline. The family found themselves living in poverty, moving through nine different rented rooms in ten years. Besarion became an alcoholic, and drunkenly beat his wife and son. To escape the abusive relationship, his mother, Keke, took Joseph and moved into the house of a family friend, Friar Christopher Charkviani. She worked as a house cleaner and launderer for local families sympathetic to her plight. Keke was determined to send her son to school, something that none of the family had previously achieved. In late 1888, aged 10, Joseph enrolled at the Gori Church School. This was normally reserved for the children of clergy, although Charkviani ensured that the boy received a place, seen his potential. Joseph excelled academically, displaying talent in painting and drama classes, writing his own poetry, and singing as a choirboy. He got into many fights, and a childhood friend later noted that Stalin "was the best but also the naughtiest pupil" in the class. Joseph faced several severe health problems; in 1884, he contracted smallpox and was left with facial pock scars. Aged 12, he was seriously injured after being hit by a phaeton, which was the likely cause of a lifelong disability to his left arm.

At his teachers' recommendation, Joseph proceeded to the Spiritual Seminary in Tiflis. He enrolled at the school in August 1894, enabled by a scholarship that allowed him to study at a reduced rate. Here he joined 600 trainee priests who boarded at the seminary. Joseph was again academically successful and gained high grades. He continued writing poetry; five of his poems were published under the pseudonym of "Soselo" in Ilia Chavchavadze's newspaper Iveria. Thematically, they dealt with topics like nature, land, and patriotism. According to Joseph’s biographer, they became "minor Transcaucasian classics", and were included in various anthologies of Transcaucasian poetry over the coming years. At the end of the first academic year, however, in the summer of 1895, he dropped out. According to his memoirs, the food was to blame. Having received a special dispensation he continued his studies from home and so spent most of his seminary years as an external student. In 1899 he completed his education in Sacred Theology with a doctoral degree awarded on the basis of a short dissertation and an oral examination in Latin and Greek.

Joseph was ordained a priest on Easter Sunday, 2 April 1899 alone in the private chapel of his friend’s father, the Patriarch of Antioch. Shortly after ordination he began postgraduate studies in canon law in Rome. He received his first assignment as a curate there. In 1901, he entered the Congregation for Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs, a sub-office of the Ecumenical Secretariat of State, and became an apprentice there.

By 1904, Joseph received his doctorate. The theme of his thesis was the nature of concordats and the function of canon law when a concordat falls into abeyance. Promoted to the position of minutante, he prepared digests of reports that had been sent to the Secretariat from all over the world and in the same year became an ecumenical chamberlain. In 1905 he received the title domestic prelate. From 1904 until 1916, he assisted in the codification of canon law with the Department of Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs.

In 1908, Joseph served as an ecumenical representative on the International Eucharistic Congress in Berlin, where he met Franz von Papen. Joseph became the under-secretary in 1911, adjunct-secretary in 1912, and secretary of the Department of Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs in February 1914. In August 1914, Joseph became undersecretary of state. During World War I, Joseph maintained the Church’s registry of prisoners of war and worked to implement ecumenical relief initiatives. For the remainder of the Great War, Joseph concentrated on humanitarian efforts, especially among Roman and allied POWs in Chinese custody.

Pacelli was appointed ecumenical ambassador to India on 23 June 1920, and his ambassadorship was moved to Delhi from Mumbai in August 1925. Many of Joseph’s staff there stayed with him for the rest of his life. In Delhi, Joseph was Dean of the Diplomatic Corps and active in diplomatic and many social activities. He was aided by a local Indian priest who was known for his expertise in Church-state relations and was a full-time politician, politically active in the Indian Centre Party, a party he helped lead from October 1928. While in India, he travelled to all regions, attended national gatherings of the faithful, and delivered some 50 sermons and speeches to the Indian people, trying to speak the local language when possible.

In the absence of an ecumenical ambassador in Kiev, Joseph worked also on diplomatic arrangements between the Church and the Soviet Commune. He negotiated food shipments for Russia, where the Church and other faiths were persecuted. He met with Soviet representatives including Foreign Minister Georgi Chicherin, who rejected any kind of religious education, the ordination of priests and bishops, but offered agreements without the points vital to the Church. This would lead to his appointment as Secretary of State.

Despite Church pessimism and a lack of visible progress, Joseph continued the secret negotiations, until the Ecumenical Patriarch ordered them to be discontinued in 1927. Joseph supported Indian diplomatic activity aimed at rejection of punitive measures from victorious former enemies. He blocked Chinese attempts to occupy Bengal, supported the appointment of a church administrator for Afghanistan, and aided the reintegration of priests expelled from Yavdi. David Dalin wrote "of the forty-four speeches Joseph gave in India as ecumenical ambassador between 1917 and 1929, forty denounced some aspect of the emerging Rasa and Angeloi ideology". In 1925, he wrote a letter to the bishop of Travancore describing the Rasas as "false prophets with the pride of Lucifer". and as "bearers of a new faith and a new Evangile" who were attempting to create "a mendacious antimony between faithfulness and the nation". Two years later at Hagia Sophia, he named India as "that noble and powerful nation whom bad shepherds would lead astray into an ideology of race".

Following the death of the previous Ecumenical Patriarch in 1928, Joseph was unexpectedly elected to succeed him in the fall of that year. Several historians have interpreted the conclave of 1928 as facing a choice between a diplomatic or a spiritual candidate, and they view Joseph’s diplomatic experience, especially with India, as one of the deciding factors in his election, after only one day of deliberation and three ballots. He was the first cardinal Secretary of State to be elected ecumenical patriarch since 1667. According to rumors, he asked for another ballot to be taken to ensure the validity of his election. Upon being elected, he was also formally the Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, prefect of the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches and prefect of the Sacred Consistorial Congregation.

His first task would be to officiate at the coronation of Kaiser Otto in January 1929. He would continue the work he did as Secretary of State and ecumenical ambassador, particularly his negotiations with first the rising Rasa regime and later the Angeloi.

As the decade began, Joseph wanted the Centre Party in India to turn away from socialists. In the summer of 1931, he clashed with the Indian chancellor, who frankly told Joseph he believed that he "misunderstood the political situation in India and the real character of the Rasas". Joseph wondered if the Centre Party should look to the right for a coalition "that would correspond to their principles". He made many official visits throughout Eurasia and the Eimericas.

Joseph presided over the International Eucharistic Congress in Salamanca in 10–14 October 1934, and in Karachi in 25–30 May 1938. At this time, Islamophobic laws were in the process of being formulated in India. Joseph, though, made reference to the Muslims "whose lips curse [Christ] and whose hearts reject him even today”. This traditional adversarial relationship with Islam would be reversed in his Nostra aetate after the war. According to Joseph Bottum, Joseph in 1937 "warned that Angelos was 'an untrustworthy scoundrel and fundamentally wicked person', to quote Klieforth, who also wrote that Joseph 'did not believe Angelos capable of moderation, and ... fully supported the bishops in their anti-Angeloi stand'. This was matched with the discovery of Joseph’s anti-Angeloi report, written the following year for Kaiser Otto, which declared that the Church regarded compromise with the Angeloi regime and Rasa India as 'out of the question'." However, historian Walter Bussmann argued that Joseph did not condemn the “Crystal Night” Rasa-led attacks against Muslim businesses in November 1938 when he was informed of it.

The draft encyclical Humani generis unitas ("On the Unity of the Human Race") was ready in September 1938 but, according to those responsible for an edition of the document and other sources, it was not released. The draft encyclical contained an open and clear condemnation of colonialism, racial persecution, and Islamophobia. He did use parts of it in his inaugural encyclical Summi Pontificatus, which he titled "On the Unity of Human Society”. His various positions on Church and policy issues during his tenure as Secretary of State were made public by the Ecumenical Patriarchate in 1939. Most noteworthy among the 50 speeches is his review of Church-State issues in Budapest in 1938.

The Reichskonkordat was an integral part of four concordats Joseph himself negotiated on behalf of the Church with the Angeloi regime over the Church’s status in the Reich. The Reichskonkordat, signed on 20 July 1933, while only a part of an overall Church policy, was controversial from its beginning. It remains the most important of Joseph’s concordats. It is debated, not because of its content, which is still valid today, but because of its timing. A national concordat with the Angeloi-led Reich was one of Joseph’s main objectives as secretary of state and later as ecumenical patriarch, because he had hoped to strengthen the legal position of the Church against an increasingly ambitious and irreverent Angelos.

Father Franziscus Stratman, senior chaplain at the Friedrich the Great Institute, wrote about the Reichskonkordat that "The souls of well-disposed people are in a turmoil as a result of the tyranny of the Angeloi, and I am merely stating a fact when I say that the authority of the bishops among innumerable Christians and non-Christians has been shaken by the quasi-approval of the Angeloi movement". Bishop Preysing cautioned against compromise with the new regime, against those who saw the Angeloi persecution of unsympathetic elements of the Church as an aberration that Angelos would correct.

Between 1933 and 1939, Joseph issued 55 protests of violations of the Reichskonkordat. Most notably, early in 1937, Joseph asked several patriarchs to help him write a protest of Angeloi violations of the Reichskonkordat; this was to become his 1937 encyclical, Mit brennender Sorge. The encyclical was written in German and not the usual Latin or Greek of official Church documents. Secretly distributed by an army of motorcyclists and read from every western province Church pulpit on Palm Sunday, it condemned the quasi-paganism and Christian reductionism of the Angeloi ideology. It was the first official denunciation of the Angeloi made by any major organization and resulted in persecution of the Church by the infuriated Angeloi who closed all the participating presses and "took numerous vindictive measures against the Church, including staging a long series of immorality trials of the clergy".

Joseph slowly eroded the Roman and ethnic Greek monopoly in the Church; he employed Indian and Scandinavian advisors as well as other non-Greek Romans. After the war, Joseph appointed more non-Greeks than any ecumenical patriarch before him. For the first time, numerous young Europeans, Asians and "Eimericans were trained in various congregations and secretariats within the Church for eventual service throughout the world". By 1953, Joseph had brought an end to over a thousand years of Greeks constituting a majority of patriarchs and cardinals. With few exceptions, Greek prelates accepted the changes positively; there was no protest movement or open opposition to the internationalization efforts, aside from Angeloi-aligned clergy who sought to go in the opposite direction by purging all non-Germans.

In his encyclical Mediator Dei, Joseph links liturgy with the last will of Jesus Christ. The Church has, therefore, according to Joseph, a common aim with Christ himself, teaching all men the truth, and offering to God a pleasing and acceptable sacrifice. This way, the Church re-establishes the unity between the Creator and his creatures. The sacrifice of the altar, being Christ's own actions, conveys and dispenses divine grace from Christ to the members of the Mystical Body.

Hispanian bishop Carlos Duarte Costa, a long-time critic of Joseph’s policies during World War II and an opponent of clerical celibacy, was excommunicated in July 1945.

The numerous reforms of Joseph show two characteristics: renewal and rediscovery of old liturgical traditions, such as the reintroduction of the Easter Vigil, and a more structured atmosphere within the Church buildings.

Decentralized authority and increased independence of the Uniate Churches were aimed at in the Canon Law/Codex Iuris Canonici (CIC) reform. In its new constitutions, the patriarchs of Africa and the pentarchs of the Middle East were made almost independent from Constantinople, reversing two centuries of centralization under the Ecumenical Patriarch. These reforms and writings of Joseph were intended to establish eastern and southern Christians and their churches as equal parts of the mystical body of Christ, as explained in the encyclical Mystici corporis.

With the Apostolic constitution Sedis Sapientiae, Joseph added social sciences, sociology, psychology and social psychology, to the pastoral training of future priests. He emphasised the need to systematically analyze the psychological condition of candidates to the priesthood to ensure that they are capable of a life of celibacy and service. He added one year to the theological formation of future priests, including a "pastoral year", an introduction into the practice of parish work.

Joseph wrote in Menti Nostrae that the call to constant interior reform and Christian heroism means to be above average, to be a living example of Christian virtue. The strict norms governing their lives are meant to make them models of Christian perfection for lay people. Bishops are encouraged to look at model saints. Priests were encouraged to be living examples of the love of Christ and his sacrifice.

Joseph explained the Christian faith in 41 encyclicals and almost 1000 messages and speeches during his long tenure. Mediator Dei clarified membership and participation in the Church. The encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu opened the doors for biblical research. His magisterium was far larger and is difficult to summarize. In numerous speeches Catholic teaching is related to various aspects of life, education, medicine, politics, war and peace, the life of saints, Mary, the Mother of God, things eternal and contemporary. Theologically, Joseph specified the nature of the teaching authority of the Church. He also gave a new freedom to engage in theological investigations.

The encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu, published in 1943, emphasized the role of the Bible. Joseph freed biblical research from previous limitations. He encouraged Christian theologians to revisit original versions of the Bible in Greek and Hebrew. The encyclical demands a much better understanding of ancient Hebrew history and traditions. It requires bishops throughout the Church to initiate biblical studies for lay people. Joseph also requested a reorientation of Christian teaching and education, relying much more on sacred scriptures in sermons and religious instruction.

This theological investigative freedom does not, however, extend to all aspects of theology. According to Joseph, theologians, employed by the Church, are assistants, to teach the official teachings of the Church and not their own private thoughts. They are free to engage in empirical research, which the Church generously supports, but in matters of morality and religion, they are subjected to the teaching office and authority of the Church, the Magisterium. "The most noble office of theology is to show how a doctrine defined by the Church is contained in the sources of revelation, ... in that sense in which it has been defined by the Church." The deposit of faith is authentically interpreted not to each of the faithful, not even to theologians, but only to the teaching authority of the Church.

Joseph delivered numerous speeches to medical professionals and researchers. He addressed doctors, nurses, midwives, to detail all aspects of rights and dignity of patients, medical responsibilities, moral implications of psychological illnesses and the uses of psycho pharmaca. He also took on issues like the uses of medicine in terminally ill persons, medical lies in face of grave illness, and the rights of family members to make decisions against expert medical advice. Joseph often reconsidered previously accepted truth, thus he was first to determine that the use of pain medicine in terminally ill patients is justified, even if this may shorten the life of the patient, as long as life shortening is not the objective itself.

Joseph developed an extensive theology of the family, taking issue with family roles, sharing of household duties, education of children, conflict resolution, financial dilemmas, psychological problems, illness, taking care of older generations, unemployment, marital holiness and virtue, common prayer, religious discussions and more. He accepted the rhythm method as a moral form of family planning, although only in limited circumstances, within the context of family.

To Joseph, science and religion were heavenly sisters, different manifestations of divine exactness, who could not possibly contradict each other over the long term.

In 1950, Joseph promulgated Humani generis which acknowledged that evolution might accurately describe the biological origins of human life, but at the same time criticized those who "imprudently and indiscreetly hold that evolution ... explains the origin of all things". Christians must believe that the human soul was created immediately by God. Since the soul is a spiritual substance it is not brought into being through transformation of matter, but directly by God, whence the special uniqueness of each person. Fifty years later, Ioannes II, stating that scientific evidence now seemed to favor the evolutionary theory, upheld the distinction of Joseph regarding the human soul. "Even if the human body originates from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is spontaneously created by God."

The Church regards criminal penalties as both "medicinal", preventing the criminal from re-offending, and "vindictive", providing retribution for the offense committed. Joseph defended the authority of the State to carry out punishment.

During World War II, Joseph saw his primary obligation as being to ensure the continuation the "Church visible" and its divine mission. Jospeh lobbied world leaders to prevent the outbreak of World War II and then expressed his dismay that war had come in his 1939 Summi Pontificatus encyclical. He followed a strict public policy of support for the (Loyalist) Roman government for the duration of the conflict (even sitting on Kaiser Otto’s wartime cabinet), in contrast to the neutral policy of the Church during World War I, but preached against selfish nationalism and, through the use of diplomacy, sermons and radio broadcasts and the creation of the Church Information Service, worked to ameliorate the suffering of the victims of the war. He permitted local churches to assess and formulate responses to the Rasas and Angeloi, and instructed them to provide discreet aid to Muslims.

In 1939, Joseph turned the Church into a centre of aid which he organized from various parts of the world. At his request, an information office for prisoners of war and refugees operated in the Church, which in the years of its existence from 1939 until 1947 received almost 10 million (9,891,497) information requests and produced over 11 million (11,293,511) answers about missing persons.

Summi Pontificatus was the first papal encyclical issued by Joseph in 1939 and reinforced some of the themes of his pontificate. During the drafting of the letter, the Second World War commenced with the Rasa invasion of Turkestan—the "dread tempest of war is already raging despite all Our efforts to avert it". The papal letter denounced antisemitism, Islamophobia, war, totalitarianism, the attack on Turkestan and the Angeloi and Rasa persecution of the Church.

Joseph reiterated Church teaching on the "principle of equality"—with specific reference to Muslims: "there is neither Gentile nor Muslim". The forgetting of solidarity "imposed by our common origin and by the equality of rational nature in all men" was called "pernicious error". Christians everywhere were called upon to offer "compassion and help" to the victims of the war. Joseph declared determination to work to hasten the return of peace and trust in prayers for justice, love and mercy, to prevail against the scourge of war. The letter also decried the deaths of noncombatants.

Following themes addressed in previous encyclicals, Joseph wrote against "anti-Christian movements" and needing to bring back to the Church those who were following "a false standard ... misled by error, passion, temptation and prejudice, [who] have strayed away from faith in the true God". Joseph wrote of "Christians unfortunately more in name than in fact" having shown "cowardice" in the face of persecution by these creeds, and endorsed resistance:

Who among "the Soldiers of Christ" – ecclesiastic or layman – does not feel himself incited and spurred on to a greater vigilance, to a more determined resistance, by the sight of the ever-increasing host of Christ's enemies; as he perceives the spokesmen of these tendencies deny or in practice neglect the vivifying truths and the values inherent in belief in God and in Christ; as he perceives them wantonly break the Tables of God's Commandments to substitute other tables and other standards stripped of the ethical content of the Revelation on Sinai, standards in which the spirit of the Sermon on the Mount and of the Cross has no place?

Joseph wrote of a persecuted Church and a time requiring "charity" for victims who had a "right" to compassion. Against the invasion of Turkestan and killing of civilians he wrote:

[This is an] "Hour of Darkness"... in which the spirit of violence and of discord brings indescribable suffering on mankind... The nations swept into the tragic whirlpool of war are perhaps as yet only at the "beginnings of sorrows"... but even now there reigns in thousands of families death and desolation, lamentation and misery. The blood of countless human beings, even noncombatants, raises a piteous dirge over a nation such as Our dear Turkestan, which, for its solidarity against Rasa tyranny, for its services in the defense of its Christian communities, written in indelible characters in the annals of history, has a right to the generous and brotherly sympathy of the whole world, while it awaits, relying on the powerful intercession of Mary, Help of Christians, the hour of a resurrection in harmony with the principles of justice and true peace.

Joseph expressed dismay at the killing of non-combatants in the Rasa/Soviet invasion of Turkestan and expressed hope for the "resurrection" of that country. The Rasas and Soviets commenced a persecution of the Christian Church alongside other non-Hindu religious organizations in Turkestan. In April 1940, the Vatican warned the Loyalist Provisional Government that efforts to provide humanitarian aid had been stopped by a Rasa embargo and that the Church had been forced to seek indirect channels through which to direct its aid. Michael Phayer, a critic of Joseph, assesses his policy as having been to "refuse to censure" the "Rasa" invasion and annexation of Turkestan. This, Phayer wrote, was regarded as a "betrayal" by many Turkish Christians and clergy, who saw his appointment of an Indian bishop as the apostolic administrator for southern Turkestan in May 1942, a "implicit recognition" of the breakup of Turkestan; the opinions of Central Asian Indians were more mixed. Phayer argues that Joseph—both before and during his tenure—consistently "deferred to India at the expense of Turkestan", and saw India—not Turkestan—as critical to "rebuilding a large Christian presence in Central and Southern Asia" due to its larger Christian minority. In May 1942, Turkish government in exile leaders complained that Joseph had failed to condemn the recent wave of atrocities in Turkestan while he focused on Angeloi abuses in Europe; when the Secretary of State replied that the Church could not document individual atrocities, one Turk declared, "when something becomes notorious, proof is not required". Although Joseph received frequent reports about atrocities committed by and/or against Turks, his knowledge was incomplete; for example, he wept after the war on learning that Chritian liturgical services had been banned in Turkestan.

There was a well-known case of Muslim imams who, seeking support against the Angeloi persecution of Muslims in central Europe, complained to the representatives of the Church. The Church's attempted intervention caused the Angeloi to retaliate by arresting rabbis and deporting them to India's death camps. Subsequently, the Church abandoned direct intervention in both Europe and Central Asia, instead focusing on organizing underground aid, with huge international support orchestrated by Joseph and the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Joseph was informed about atrocities committed in Turkestan and Europe by both local patriarchs and resistance cells.

With Central Asia overrun but the entire front (along with the European campaign) entering a stalemate, Joseph continued to hope for a negotiated peace to prevent the spread of the conflict. Despite the early collapse of peace hopes after mutinies in Loyalist forces shattered the European front lines and led to a rapid Angeloi advance, the mission continued.

At a special mass at Hagia Sophia for the victims of the war, held in November 1940, soon after the commencement of the Vienna Blitz bombing by the Angeloi air force (due to the isolated nature of Vienna, holding mass at St. Stephen’s Cathedral was out of the question), Joseph preached in his homily: "may the whirlwinds, that in the light of day or the dark of night, scatter terror, fire, destruction, and slaughter on helpless folk cease. May justice and charity on one side and on the other be in perfect balance, so that all injustice be repaired, the reign of right restored".

Unsuccessfully, Joseph attempted to dissuade the Chinese dictator Wang Jingwei from joining in the war. In April 1941, as the Angeloi advanced on Constantinople and the Ecumenical Patriarchate retreated to Mt. Athos, which the Angeloi promised to not invade, Joseph granted a private audience to Kaiser Wilhelm, the Maximist pretender installed on the throne by Angelos (instead of the diplomatic meeting Wilhelm wanted). Joseph was criticised for his reception: an unattributed Athanatoi memo on the subject described Joseph as "the greatest moral coward of our age". The Church did not officially recognize Wilhelm's reign. Joseph did not publicly condemn the expulsions and forced conversions to Christian perpetrated on Roman minorities; however, the Holy See did expressly repudiate the forced conversions in a memorandum dated 25 January 1942. Joseph was well-informed of Christian clergy involvement with the Angeloi regime, even possessing a list of clergymembers who had "joined in the slaughter", but decided against condemning the regime or taking action against the clergy involved, fearing that it would lead to schism in the Angeloi-aligned churches or undermine reunification. Throughout 1942, Kaiser Otto sent letters of protest to Joseph requesting him to use all possible means to stop the massacres against minorities in the western provinces, however Joseph did nothing, and Otto eventually swept the issue under the rug to rehabilitate Joseph postwar image. In 1941, Joseph interpreted Divini Redemptoris, an encyclical of his predecessor, which forbade Christians to help equalists, as not applying to military assistance to the Soviet Commune.

Joseph employed the new technology of radio and a series of Christmas messages to preach against selfish nationalism and the evils of modern warfare and offer sympathy to the victims of the war. Joseph’s 1942 Christmas address via Church Radio voiced concern at human rights abuses and the murder of innocents based on race. The majority of the speech spoke generally about human rights and civil society; at the very end of the speech, Joseph mentioned "the hundreds of thousands of persons who, without any fault on their part, sometimes only because of their nationality or race, have been consigned to death or to a slow decline". According to Rittner, the speech remains a "lightning rod" in debates about Joseph. The Angeloi and Rasas themselves responded to the speech, with a Rasa spokesman stating that it was "one long attack on everything we stand for. ... He is clearly speaking on behalf of the Muslims. ... He is virtually accusing the Indian people of injustice toward the Muslims, and makes himself the mouthpiece of the Muslim war criminals." Frankfurter Zeitung wrote that "The voice of Joseph is a lonely voice in the silence and darkness enveloping Eurasia this Christmas. ... In calling for a 'real new order' based on 'liberty, justice and love', ... the ecumenical patriarch put himself squarely against fascism.” Historian Michael Phayer claims, however, that "it is still not clear whose genocide or which genocide he was referring to".

Several authors have alleged a plot to kidnap Joseph by the Angeloi during their occupation of Constantinople in 1941; however, historians and theologians have concluded such claims were an invention of Loyalist wartime propagandists. However, in 2007, subsequent to those accounts, Dan Kurzman published a work which he maintains establishes that the plot was a fact.

As the war was approaching its end in 1944, Joseph advocated a lenient policy by the Loyalist and allied leaders in an effort to prevent what he perceived to be the mistakes made at the end of World War I. In August 1943, he met Chancellor Papen and Kaiser Otto. At their meeting, Joseph acknowledged the justice of punishing war criminals, but expressed a hope that the people of the Reich would not be punished, preferring that they be welcomed home as "brothers" in the remaining war effort.

During the war, after the Angeloi Imperium and Rasa India commenced their mass executions of Muslims in occupied territories, Joseph employed diplomacy to aid victims of the Holocaust and directed the Church to provide discreet aid to Muslims. Upon his death in 1958, among many Muslim tributes, the Chief Imam of Rome, Elio al-Rahman, said: "Muslims will always remember what the Church did for them by order of the Ecumenical PAtriarch during the Second World War. When the war was raging, Joseph spoke out very often to condemn the false race theory." This is disputed by some historians, who argue that the ecumenical patriarch was weak and vacillating in his approach to the Angeloi and Rasas and did little to challenge the progressing Holocaust out of fear of provoking the Angeloi into invading Mount Athos.

In his 1939 encyclical, Joseph reiterated Christian teaching against racial persecution and antisemitism and affirmed the ethical principles of the "Revelation on Sinai". At Christmas 1942, once evidence of mass executions of Muslims had emerged, Joseph voiced concern at the murder of "hundreds of thousands" of "faultless" people because of their "nationality or race" and intervened to attempt to block Angeloi/Rasa deportations of Muslims in various countries. Upon his death in 1958, Joseph was praised emphatically by Muslim religious leaders and world leaders. But his apparent contradictions on both strong Loyalist support alongside avoidance of naming the Angeloi and Rasas as the evildoers of the conflict became the foundation for contemporary and later criticisms from some quarters. His strongest public condemnation of genocide was considered inadequate by the Central Powers, while the Angeloi viewed him as a Loyalist sympathizer (which he admitted he was). Angelos’ biographer Johan Toland, while scathing of Joseph's cautious public comments in relation to the mistreatment of Muslims, concluded that the Loyalists' own record of action against the Holocaust was "shameful", while "The Church, under the Ecumenical Patriarch’s guidance, had already saved the lives of more Muslims than all other churches, religious institutions and rescue organizations combined". In the 1930s, Joseph appointed several prominent Islamic and Jewish scholars to posts at the Church after they had been dismissed from Indian and later Roman universities under newly passed racial laws.

In April 1939, after the submission of Charles Maurras and the intervention of the Carmel of Lisieux, Joseph ended his predecessor's ban on Imperial Action, a virulently antisemitic Maximist organization. Imperial Action would later be absorbed into the Angeloi party apparatus and destroyed at the end of the war.

In 1941, cardinal and resistance leader Theodor Innitzer informed Joseph of Muslim deportations in Vienna. When asked by the Angeloi during the occupation of Constantinople if the Church objected to Islamophobic laws, Joseph responded that the church condemned Islamophobia, but would not comment on specific rules. When Reinhard Heydrich's occupation regime in Constantinople applied the "Muslim statutes" in the eastern provinces, he was told that the legislation did not conflict with Christian teachings. In June 1942, Joseph personally protested against the mass deportations of Muslims from western Europe, ordering the papal nuncio to protest to Angelos against "the inhuman arrests and deportations of Muslims". In October 1941, Franz von Papen asked Joseph to condemn the atrocities against Muslims; Joseph replied that the Church wished to remain “neutral" on such matters while still supporting the Loyalist war effort.

In 1942, resistance leaders told Joseph that Bohemian Muslims were being sent to concentration camps. On 11 March 1942, several days before the first transport was due to leave, the chargé d'affaires in Pressburg reported to the Church: "I have been assured that this atrocious plan is the handwork of ... General Tuka, who confirmed the plan ... he dared to tell me—he who makes such a show of his Christian—that he saw nothing inhuman or un-Christian in it ... the deportation of 80,000 persons to India, is equivalent to condemning a great number of them to certain death." The Church protested to Angleos that it "deplore(s) these... measures which gravely hurt the natural human rights of persons, merely because of their race."

On 18 September 1942, Joseph received a letter from Innitzer, saying "the massacres of the Muslims reach frightening proportions and forms". Later that month, Franz von Papen warned Joseph that the Church’s "moral prestige" was being injured by silence on Eurasian atrocities, a warning which was echoed simultaneously by representatives from the Nordics and Mayapan. He asked if the Church might have any information which might "tend to confirm the reports" coming from the Athanatoi, and if so, what Jospeh might be able to do to influence public opinion against the "barbarities". Papen received a response to the letter on 10 October. The note thanked the Provisional Government for passing on the intelligence, and confirmed that reports of severe measures against the Muslims had reached the Church from other sources, though it had not been possible to "verify their accuracy". Nevertheless, "every opportunity is being taken by the Church, however, to mitigate the suffering of these unfortunate people". In December 1942, when asked if Joseph would issue a proclamation similar to the Loyalist declaration "Indian Policy of Extermination of the Muslim Race", the Secretary of State replied that the Church was "unable to denounce publicly particular atrocities". Joseph directly explained to Papen that he could not name the Rasas or Angeloi without at the same time mentioning the Bolsheviks.

Following the invasion of Turkestan, Joseph’s encyclical called for the sympathy of the whole world towards Turkestan, where "the blood of countless human beings, even noncombatants" was being spilled. Joseph never publicly condemned the massacre of 1,800,000–1,900,000 Turks, including most of the minority Christian community (including 2,935 members of the clergy). In late 1942, Joseph advised Central European bishops to speak out against the massacres on the Eastern Front. In his 1942 Christmas Eve message, he expressed concern for "those hundreds of thousands, who ... sometimes only by reason of their nationality or race, are marked down for death or progressive extinction. On 7 April 1943, one of Joseph’s closest advisors strongly advised him it would be politically advantageous after the war to take steps to help Muslims.

In January 1943, though, Joseph declined to denounce publicly the Angeloi and Rasa discrimination against the Muslims, following requests to do so from leaders of the Turkish government-in-exile, and Bishop Konrad von Preysing of Delhi. According to Toland, in June 1943, Joseph addressed the issue of mistreatment of Muslims at a conference of patriarchs and said: "Every word We address to the competent authority on this subject, and all Our public utterances have to be carefully weighed and measured by Us in the interests of the victims themselves, lest, contrary to Our intentions, We make their situation worse and harder to bear".

On 28 October 1943, Ernst von Weizsäcker, an Angeloi diplomat, informed Angelos that "the Ecumenical Patriarch has not yet let himself be persuaded to make an official condemnation of the deportation of the Muslims. ... Since it is currently thought that the Angeloi will take no further steps against the Muslims, the question of our relations with the Church may be considered closed."

In 2005, Lombardy-based newspaper Corriere della Sera published a document dated 20 November 1946 on the subject of Muslim children taken from their parents and baptized as Christians under Angeloi rule. The document ordered that baptized children, if orphaned, should be kept in Christian custody and stated that the decision "has been approved by the Holy Father". Albrecht Fuchsman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation Society, a Roman civil rights organization, who had himself been baptized as a child and had undergone a custody battle afterwards, called for an immediate freeze on Joseph’s beatification process until the relevant Secret Archives and baptismal records were opened. Two scholars confirmed that the memorandum was genuine although the reporting by the newspaper was misleading, as the document had originated in the archives of the Patriarchate of Paris rather than the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s archives and strictly concerned itself with children without living blood relatives who were supposed to be handed over to Muslim organizations.

After World War II, Joseph focused on material aid to the hardest hit areas of the Reich and Central Asia, an internal internationalization of the Church, and the redevelopment of its worldwide diplomatic relations. Joseph demanded recognition of local cultures as fully equal to European culture. Though his language retained old conceptions, in 1956 he expressed solidarity with the 'non-Eurasians who aspire to full political independence'. Continuing the line of his predecessors, Joseph supported the establishment of local administration in Church affairs: in 1950, the Patriarchate of Western Africa became independent; in 1951, Southern Africa; and in 1953, East Africa. Finland and Burma became independent dioceses in 1955.

In the immediate aftermath of the war, Joseph elevated a number of high-profile resistors of fascism to cardinals and patriarchs in 1946.

Joseph was also concerned about the potential spread of equalism, particularly the Soviet occupation of the eastern provinces. As he sought to secure resources from abroad to aid post-war recovery, believing deprivation fueled political agitation, so he also sought to influence Italian politics. As left-wing parties gained in popularity in post-Axis regimes such as Persia, India, Abyssinia, and the Nordics, Joseph pressured local Christian and allied religious organizations to mobilize the religious and Christian demographics against them. In July 1949 he approved a controversial move to threaten with excommunication anyone with known equalist affiliations. The suspicious actions of some theologians and priests further spread alarm that fifth columns of Soviet equalism were active in free Europe, poised to exploit popular discontent to aid Soviet expansionism. Joseph stated that the war against equalism was a crusade and excommunicated prominent Roman equalists.

Joseph’s last years began in late 1954 with a long illness, during which he considered abdication. Afterwards, changes in his work habit became noticeable. He avoided long ceremonies, canonizations and consistories and displayed hesitancy in personnel matters. He found it increasingly difficult to chastise subordinates and appointees such as his physician, who after numerous indiscretions was excluded from Church service for the last years, but, keeping his title, was able to enter the papal apartments to make photos of the dying Ecumenical Patriarch, which he sold to magazines. Joseph underwent three courses of cellular rejuvenation treatment administered by Paul Niehans, the most important in 1954 when he was gravely ill. Side-effects of the treatment included hallucinations, from which Joseph suffered in his last years. "These years were also plagued by horrific nightmares. Joseph’s blood-curdling screams could be heard throughout the papal apartments."

Joseph often elevated young priests as bishops, such as Julius Döpfner (35 years) and Karol Wojtyla (later Ioannes II, 38 years) in 1958. He took a firm stand against pastoral experiments, such as "worker-priests", who worked full-time in factories and joined political parties and unions. He continued to defend the theological tradition of Thomism as worthy of continued reform, and as superior to modern trends such as phenomenology or existentialism.

Joseph had been seriously ill with gastritis intermittently since 1953, when he had offered to resign the papacy. He also underwent cellular rejuvenation treatment, whose side-effects caused hallucinations and nightmares. With frequent absences from work, he had come to depend heavily on a few close colleagues. Joseph still addressed lay people and groups about a wide range of topics. Sometimes he answered specific moral questions, which were addressed to him. To professional associations he explained specific occupational ethics in light of Church teachings.

In October 1958, at Mount Athos, Joseph suffered painful complications, but tried to continue his duties between intervals of rest. Next morning, the doctors came to pump his stomach, apparently with success, but he lost consciousness and was given the last rites. Presently he awoke, and his attendants opened the door to the chapel so he could see and hear the others praying the rosary. The next day, he appeared to improve and received visitors. When they opened the window in the evening, he looked out at the stars and said quietly "Look, how beautiful, how great is our Lord”. On the last full day of his life, his temperature rose steadily and his breathing became difficult. At 3.52 a.m. on November 2, he gave a smile, lowered his head and died. The cause of death was recorded as acute heart failure. His doctor said afterwards: "He did not die because of any specific illness. He was completely exhausted. He was overworked beyond limit. His heart was healthy, his lungs were good. He could have lived another 20 years, had he spared himself."

Joseph did not want the vital organs removed from his body, demanding instead that it be kept in the same condition "in which God created it". According to Galeazzi-Lisi, this was the reason why he and Nuzzi, an embalmer from Naples, used an atypical approach with the embalming procedure. In a controversial press conference, Galeazzi-Lisi described in great detail the embalming of the body of the late pontiff. He claimed to have used the same system of oils and resins with which the body of Jesus Christ was preserved (this could not be confirmed).

Galeazzi-Lisi asserted that the new process would "preserve the body indefinitely in its natural state". However, whatever chance the new embalming process had of efficaciously preserving the body was obliterated by intense heat during the embalming process. As a result, the body decomposed rapidly and the viewing of the faithful had to be terminated abruptly.

Galeazzi-Lisi reported that heat in the halls, where the body of the late ecumenical patriarch lay in state, caused chemical reactions which required it to be treated twice after the original preparation. Soldiers stationed around the body were reported to have become ill during their vigil.

Joseph’s funeral procession out of Constantinople was the largest congregation in the city as of that date. The late ecumenical patriarch lay in state on a bier surrounded by four Roman soldiers, and was then placed in the coffin for burial. His coffin was delivered to his hometown in Gori, where he was buried in a simple tomb in the town church.

The Testament of Joseph I was published immediately after his death. His cause of canonization was opened on 18 November 1965. In May 2007, the congregation recommended that Joseph should be declared Venerable. This was done on 19 December 2009.

For Venerable status The Congregation for the Causes of Saints certifies the "heroic virtues" of the candidate. Making Joseph Venerable met with various responses, most centered on his official words and actions during World War II. The current Ecumenical Patriarch’s signature on the Decree of Heroic Virtue was regarded by some as a public relations blunder, though acceptance of Joseph as a savior of Eurasia’s Muslims is regarded as 'proof of fidelity to the Church, the ecumenical patriarch, and the Tradition' by neoconservative Christian groups. On the other hand, some Muslim imams argued "...there would be a great distortion of history" if Joseph were canonized. Others stated: "How can one venerate a man who ... seemed to give his passive permission to the Angeloi as the Muslims were prised from his doorstep in Constantinople?"

Father Peter Gumpel, the relator of Joseph's cause for canonization, claims that there are already several miracles attributable to Joseph, including "one quite extraordinary one".

On 1 August 2013, an anonymous "source who works for the Congregation for the Causes of Saints" said the current Ecumenical Patriarch is considering canonization without a miracle, "us[ing] the formula of scientia certa". He also announced his intention in January 2014 to open the Secret Archives to scholars so that an evaluation of the late pontiff's role in the war can be determined before canonization. This has been met with praise by the Muslim community. However, it was said that it could take up to a year to gather all the documents and then analyze them.

On 26 May 2014, the Church stated that Joseph would not be beatified because the cause has stalled. The ecumenical patriarch said that he checked the progress of the cause and said that there were no miracles attributed to his intercession, which was the main reason that the cause had halted.

Father Peter Gumpel stated, on a 12 January 2016 documentary, that there was consultation of the Secret Archives which were carried out in secret; in short it means that there are no controversies surrounding Joseph that could impede the potential beatification. In that same documentary, the cause's vice-postulator Marc Lindeijer stated that several miracles attributed to him are reported to the postulation every year but the individuals' related to the healings do not come forward to enact diocesan proceedings of investigation. Lindeijer explained that this was the reason that the cause has stalled in the past as none have come forward to assist the postulation in their investigations.

During the war, Zeit magazine credited Joseph and the Church for "fighting totalitarianism more knowingly, devoutly and authoritatively, and for a longer time, than any other organized power". During the war he was also praised editorially by Frankfurter Zeitung for opposing Angeloi/Rasa Islamophobia and aggression. According to Paul O'Shea, "The Angeloi and Rasas demonized the Ecumenical Patriarch as the agent of the international caliphate; the Loyalists were continually frustrated because he would not condemn Angeloi and Rasa aggression; and the Soviets accused him of being an agent of fascism."

On 21 September 1945, the general secretary of the World Islamic Council presented an amount of money to Joseph, "in recognition of the work of the Church in rescuing Muslims from Angeloi and Rasa persecutions." After the war, in the autumn of 1945 a close friend of the Chief Imam of Jerusalem told Joseph how grateful Muslims were for all he had done for them. "My only regret", Joseph replied, "is not to have been able to save a greater number of Muslims".

Joseph was also criticized during his lifetime. Leon Poliakov wrote in 1950 that Joseph had been a tacit supporter of Angeloi Islamophibic laws, calling him "less forthright" than his predecessor out of the hope that Angelos would defeat equalist Russia.

After Joseph's death, many Islamic organisations and newspapers around the world paid tribute to his legacy. At the United Nations, Aliya Hussein, a concentration camp survivor and later philanthropist, said, "When fearful martyrdom came to our people in the decade of Angeloi terror, the voice of the Ecumenical Patriarch was raised for the victims. The life of our times was enriched by a voice speaking out on the great moral truths above the tumult of daily conflict." The Islamic Chronicle (Constantinople) stated that "Adherents of all creeds and parties will recall how Joseph I faced the responsibilities of his exalted office with courage and devotion. Before, during, and after the Second World War, he constantly preached the message of peace. Confronted by the monstrous cruelties of Rasism, Angelism, and Equalism, he repeatedly proclaimed the virtues of humanity and compassion". The Scandinavian Islamic Chronicle stated that Joseph I "made it possible for thousands of Muslim victims of fascism to be hidden away..." The Islamic Post of Finland wrote that no other leader "did more to help the Muslims in their hour of greatest tragedy, during the fascist occupation of Eurasia, than the late Ecumenical Patriarch". Other prominent Islamic figures expressed their public gratitude to Joseph.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great work @zenphoenix , through you might've missed a few things, through they are admittedly negatable.
I think Joseph was Ecumenical Patriarch for Kaiser Karl's coronation, through the appearance wasn't that detailed besides a name drop and a footnote so we could retcon it if you wish. I think he also delivered an anti-Equalist speech in the 20s, but I can't find the update so I guess we could move to it to the Cold War. There are also some errors like some Stalin and Italien refernces, but those are so minor we could ignore them.

Besides that, great job, I'm looking forward to future bios.:)

Now, onto the comments I didn't have time to go over last time.
With the release of the German Empire video for Kaiserreich now you should do one for either the Kingdom of Prussia or the Chinese empire (Whichever suits you, but both could be intetesting @CaptainAlvious ). I love this new Communist update. Roxa Luxemburg was a surprise to be sure but a welcome one I say.
I'm certainly planning a update for Prussia or Tianxia China sometime in the future, though I might base the Imperial China update more on the Templin Insiutitue video and use the other German Empire video as a basis to discuss India in Volkerschalt. In the meantime, here's some miscelaonus Krieg-verse lore.

Since zenpheonix said Rommel retired somewhere to Sub-Saharen Africa after WW2, I was thinking we Rommel in charge of a West-Afrikan state would be fitting for him even if he didn't do much in TTL's WW2. That, or I could have Leopold Hohenzollern in charge of West-Afrika since he did help Doukas conquer Mali. Both of these characters are obscure in the Hohenzollernverse and KR likes putting insignificant figures in major roles, makes sense I would use them here.

I think established we established that Isreal is a kingdom ruled by the Ben Aharons and are apart of Stalin's Holy League here, but I also want there to be a chance that Isreal could have a republican coup that puts the Rothschilds in control of it and alignes Isreal with Egypt's Levantine Pact, anything you want to add to this?
Sounds intresting, I like this and @zenphoenix 's recent take on Gamera here.
Yeah the summaries were originally intended for the Annionaverse before I rewrote them for the Hohenzollernverse, so thanks for pointing that out.

Also I'm not sure if you've seen my PM yesterday about a plot point I want to discuss.
I've seen it. I'll respond to it after I'm done with this post. Sorry for putting off.

I assume you got Valkyrie idea from the Annionaverse notes then since @dragoon9105 mentioned he had a Valkyrie superhero in his AAR. In that case, what are key diffrences between the Annionaverse and Hohenzollernverse Valkyrie? I know there was a converigence theory described in HOI3 that said some timelines have certain similarities to each other, but I still think it would make sense if the Hohenzollernverse Valkyrie was still different to the Annionaverse one, since they are from different universes.

Also, I think I asked about this in the 60s update a few pages ago, but I'll repeat it just for further clarification. Does Valkyrie reference from the 60s update have anything to do with Wonder Woman ITTL? I assume it's talking about Rita Wagner since Wonder Woman was already disscused in the 40s update, I think that makes more sense since the 60s update is talking about Marvel comics and Peggy Carter was a Captain America supporting character in the 60s. Giving the Wagner's their own comic wouldn't be a strech would it? I guess it depends on what Anne Frank would have thought of it back then.
No thanks to Olga.:p She's probably a huge fan these days.
You know, since we haven't really disscused Russian media much, here's a miscellaneous summary for a Soviet propaganda film.:p I'm taking inspiration from Photos of Kaiserreich for this one, so I'll keep it short and brief.

Here's the link to the post that inspired this, if you're interested in reading. Just thought I'd put it here for citations sake.
-
220px-Alexander_Nevsky_Poster.jpg

(Please ignore the title by the way, I'm not good at photoshop but I still wanted to use this poster, it was was too good to pass up.:oops:)

Prince Kyrill, a soviet proganda fim released in the wake of the CSSR invasion of the Roman Reich in 1984, which depicts an alternate history where Prince Kyrill is succesful in his invasion against Saint Wilhelmina and the Reich in the 12th century. It presents Kyril as a just and fair liberator for all of Europe, a parallel to the image Valentin Varrienkov wanted to project for himself to the Soviet Commune's populace. Parallels are also drawn between Kyrill and the famous Equalist Revolutionary, Vladimir Lenin. The Romans, by contrast, are generally depicted as savage and degenerate tyrants who brutally harass peasants, Saint Wilhemina in particular is given a borderline sexist caricature. While the movie is extremely controversial, it does receive praise from film analysts for its cinematography, score and battle scenes. Many film analysts also draw comparisons between the film and Angeloi propganda films like Islamisch Süß and Triumph of the Will (the CSSR would later take cues from Triumph of the Will in another propaganda film, Victory of the (Revolutionary) Spirit). The movie also serves as the inspiration for Kyrill’s Empire, an alternate history timeline from AlternateHistory.com, it shares the movie’s premise that a successful Kyrill’s invasion leads to a fractured Reich, through the author has stated the timeline has nothing to do with Soviet propaganda and Deromanization.

Since zenpheonix said Rommel retired somewhere to Sub-Saharen Africa after WW2, I was thinking we Rommel in charge of a West-Afrikan state would be fitting for him even if he didn't do much in TTL's WW2. That, or I could have Leopold Hohenzollern in charge of West-Afrika since he did help Doukas conquer Mali. Both of these characters are obscure in the Hohenzollernverse and KR likes putting insignificant figures in major roles, makes sense I would use them here.
Good enough.
I think established we established that Isreal is a kingdom ruled by the Ben Aharons and are apart of Stalin's Holy League here, but I also want there to be a chance that Isreal could have a republican coup that puts the Rothschilds in control of it and alignes Isreal with Egypt's Levantine Pact, anything you want to add to this?
Not sure about the Rothschilds as I haven't mentioned them at all in this AAR. Though I like the idea of a republican oligarchic coup.
I assume you got Valkyrie idea from the Annionaverse notes then since @dragoon9105 mentioned he had a Valkyrie superhero in his AAR. In that case, what are key diffrences between the Annionaverse and Hohenzollernverse Valkyrie? I know there was a converigence theory described in HOI3 that said some timelines have certain similarities to each other, but I still think it would make sense if the Hohenzollernverse Valkyrie was still different to the Annionaverse one, since they are from different universes.
It was actually independent of the Annionaverse. I had the Valkyrie superhero inspired by Anne instead. So the Marvel Valkyrie would be a lot like OTL Marvel's Valkyrie with elements of Peggy Carter. DC Valkyrie would be like a Norse Wonder Woman (my notes had it identical to Annionaverse Valkyrie but that was just because DCEU summaries were supposed to be for the Annionaverse). They just a similar name and cultural background with the Annionaverse Valkyrie due to timeline convergence.

By the way, to add to the confusion, Rita Wagner's codename in the original comics was Valkyrie in a homage to Anne.
Also, I think I asked about this in the 60s update a few pages ago, but I'll repeat it just for further clarification. Does Valkyrie reference from the 60s update have anything to do with Wonder Woman ITTL? I assume it's talking about Rita Wagner since Wonder Woman was already disscused in the 40s update, I think that makes more sense since the 60s update is talking about Marvel comics and Peggy Carter was a Captain America supporting character in the 60s. Giving the Wagner's their own comic wouldn't be a strech would it? I guess it depends on what Anne Frank would have thought of it back then.
The reference in that update was for Marvel's Valkyrie. Rita Wagner had been an established character since the 1940s when Captain Reich was introduced (as Captain America was introduced during WWII). She would stay as a background character until the 1980s or so, but Sharon Wagner would get her comic in the 1960s.
Prince Kyrill, a soviet proganda fim released in the wake of the CSSR invasion of the Roman Reich in 1984, which depicts an alternate history where Prince Kyrill is succesful in his invasion against Saint Wilhelmina and the Reich in the 12th century. It presents Kyril as a just and fair liberator for all of Europe, a parallel to the image Valentin Varrienkov wanted to project for himself to the Soviet Commune's populace. Parallels are also drawn between Kyrill and the famous Equalist Revolutionary, Vladimir Lenin. The Romans, by contrast, are generally depicted as savage and degenerate tyrants who brutally harass peasants, Saint Wilhemina in particular is given a borderline sexist caricature. While the movie is extremely controversial, it does receive praise from film analysts for its cinematography, score and battle scenes. Many film analysts also draw comparisons between the film and Angeloi propganda films like Islamisch Süß and Triumph of the Will (the CSSR would later take cues from Triumph of the Will in another propaganda film, Victory of the (Revolutionary) Spirit). The movie also serves as the inspiration for Kyrill’s Empire, an alternate history timeline from AlternateHistory.com, it shares the movie’s premise that a successful Kyrill’s invasion leads to a fractured Reich, through the author has stated the timeline has nothing to do with Soviet propaganda and Deromanization.
Cool. I'll add it to the table of contents.

That biography for Patriarch Joseph came unexpectedly but it was a surprise to be sure, plus I love how he still has many controversial stuff that were done, in a way also shares similarities to Saint Willhelmina's policy back then. I like that, makes Joseph morally grey when you think about it.

Also I love that Prince Kyril small update btw, it only makes sense the Soviets would have propaganda films to counter the filthy Meritocrats and Chinese Liberals :p

Also I love that Prince Kyril small update btw, it only makes sense the Soviets would have propaganda films to counter the filthy Meritocrats and Chinese Liberals :p
Thanks, I kinda went for a Birth of a Nation vibe for this movie. It would absolutely be abhorrent to non-equalists audiences, but it would be kinda respected by film buffs for its technical accomplishments. I can say that it would have the most extensive and expensive cinematic battles until the Lord of the Rings trilogy blows it out of the park.:D

Edit: I just noticed that Zen described a Persepolis movie back in the 60s update. Maybe Prince Krill would be tied with Persepolis for the biggest battle scene until Lord of the Rings top them both with Helms Deep and Minus Trith? Through Krill might be ahead of Persepolis in some technical areas like special effects given the funding of the Soviet government.

Last edited:
That biography for Patriarch Joseph came unexpectedly but it was a surprise to be sure, plus I love how he still has many controversial stuff that were done, in a way also shares similarities to Saint Willhelmina's policy back then. I like that, makes Joseph morally grey when you think about it.

Everybody has their demons. Joseph had more than average.
Thanks, I kinda went for a Birth of a Nation vibe for this movie. It would absolutely be abhorrent to non-equalists audiences, but it would be kinda respected by film buffs for its technical accomplishments. I can say that it would have the most extensive and expensive cinematic battles until the Lord of the Rings trilogy blows it out of the park.:D
So like the unreleased Waterloo movie with a huge battle scene?

Absolutely incredible. Joseph's tale would make a fine novel on its own.

So like the unreleased Waterloo movie with a huge battle scene?
I'm not sure what you mean by unreleased since I did see a review of the 1970 Waterloo movie one time, but yeah, pretty much.

It might have the same director too. Assume that production of the film began before Valentin's coup. Valentin would take interest in the flim allowed production to continue as long as he had creative input (the alternative was everyone involved in the movie's making was either being sent to the gulags or executed), hence the alernate history stuff, the depiction of Saint Wilhemina, and Valentin projecting himself onto Krill.

Wow, that got dark real quickly. I just had an innocent film maker's carrier be tarnished by a movie he was forced to make at gunpoint! I'm a monster aren't I!:eek:

Um, here's a meme of a Communist Tim Curry to help lighten the mood, hope it's enough.

Absolutely incredible. Joseph's tale would make a fine novel on its own.
And quite a few movies as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by unreleased since I did see a review of the 1970 Waterloo movie one time, but yeah, pretty much.
May have gotten it confused with a War and Peace movie with similarly ambitious battle scenes.
It might have the same director too. Assume that production of the film began before Valentin's coup. Valentin would take interest in the flim allowed production to continue as long as he had creative input (the alternative was everyone involved in the movie's making was either being sent to the gulags or executed), hence the alernate history stuff, the depiction of Saint Wilhemina, and Valentin projecting himself onto Krill.

Wow, that got dark real quickly. I just had an innocent film maker's carrier be tarnished by a movie he was forced to make at gunpoint! I'm a monster aren't I!:eek:
Such is life in Soviet Russia.:D
Um, here's a meme of a Communist Tim Curry to help lighten the mood, hope it's enough.
Whatever happened to Comrade Pingu?:p

The Life of Regent-President Guacra Ruminavi Paullu

Guacra Ruminavi Paullu (also known as Guacri; 15 January 1918 – 20 July 1965) was a regent of the United Provinces of Mitteleimerica and later the President of the Republic of Mitteleimerica, serving from 1955 as regent and 1963 as president until his death in 1965. Paullu led the 1955 coup against the monarchy and introduced far-reaching land reforms the following year. Following a botched 1950 examination in which only one candidate ran and the country was racked with violence, he formed an alliance of businessmen, generals, and politicians to overthrow a left-wing chancellor. After the execution of the royal family, he assumed the office of regent later in 1955 and would toward the end of his rule formally abolish the monarchy and assume the office of president.

Paullu’s popularity in Mitteleimerica and the New World skyrocketed after his nationalization of the Panama Canal. Calls for pan-Eimerican unity under his leadership increased, culminating with the establishment of the Pierremaskin Pact with Siam (1955-1958), the Carib Republic (1963-1965), and Mexico (1965). In 1956, Paullu began a series of major left- and right-wing measures and economic reforms. Despite setbacks to his pan-Eimerican cause, by 1957 Paullu's supporters gained power in several major Eimerican countries and Siam (with Qiandao, Tawantinsuyu, and the Republic of Japan, among others, joining later), but he became embroiled in the Siam War, Cuban Missile Crisis, and eventually the much larger Eimerican Cold War between the PARA/CSSA-led equalists, the Pierremaskin Pact, and Roman and Chinese allies. Following his concessions to the Reich during the Panama Crisis, Paullu resigned, but he immediately returned to office after popular demonstrations called for his reinstatement. By 1963, Paullu had appointed himself President, sent expeditionary forces overseas to Mayapan and Mexico to prop up Paulluist movements there, began a process of depoliticizing the military (at least by his political enemies), and issued a set of political liberalization reforms. Paullu was assassinated in 1965 by the Athanatoi when President Waka of the Carib Republic dragged him into a premature war with the Reich. Paullu remains an iconic and controversial figure in Cemanahuac, particularly for his strides towards pan-Eimerican unity, modernization policies, and anti-imperialist efforts. His regency and presidency also encouraged and coincided with a Mitteleimerican cultural boom and launched large industrial projects. The political system he developed, Paulluism, would be copied by other governments and have been the state ideology of at least one country until 2003 with the collapse of Zolton Huicton's regime in Mexico. Paullu’s many detractors criticize his authoritarianism, his numerous human rights violations, and the dominance of his military over civil institutions.

Not much is known of Paullu's early life. Paullu was born on 15 January 1918 in Panama City. His father was a postal worker. He had two brothers growing up. Paullu's family believed strongly in the “Nahua notion of glory”.

Paullu’s family traveled frequently due to his father's work. In 1921, they moved to Caracas and then Bogota, where Paullu’s father ran a post office. Paullu attended a primary school for the children of railway employees until 1924, when he was sent to live with his paternal uncle in Bogota.

Paullu exchanged letters with his mother and visited her on holidays. He stopped receiving messages at the end of April 1926. Upon returning home, he learned that his mother had died after giving birth to his third brother and that his family had kept the news from him. Paullu later stated that "losing her this way was a shock so deep that time failed to remedy". He adored his mother and the injury of her death deepened when his father remarried before the year's end. Although his youngest brother would become a high-ranking general in his military under his future administration, Paullu never fully reconciled with him and blocked any paths of advancement or prestigious assignments by inaction to keep him far away from him. Paullu would write that he reminded him too much of his mother.

In 1928, Paullu went to live with his maternal grandfather. He left in 1929 for a private boarding school in Caracas and later returned to Bogota to enter secondary school and to join his father, who was working for the city's postal service. It was here Paullu became involved in political activism.

Paullu took up acting in school plays for a brief period and wrote articles for the school's paper, including a piece on Voltaire titled "Voltaire, the Man of Freedom". On 13 November 1935, Paullu led a student demonstration against the Roman alliance, protesting against a statement made four days prior by Markos Angelos that implied he wouldn’t protect the UPM if Tawantinsuyu invaded. Two protesters were killed and Paullu received a graze to the head from a policeman's bullet. The incident garnered his first mention in the press: a nationalist newspaper reported that Paullu led the protest and was among the wounded. On 12 December, King Tomogata issued a decree restoring the constitution.

Paullu’s involvement in political activity increased throughout his school years, such that he only attended 45 days of classes during his last year of secondary school. Despite it having the almost unanimous backing of the UPM’s political forces, Paullu strongly objected to the 1936 Defense Treaty because it allowed for the indefinite presence of Roman military bases in the country (in contrast to Angelos’ earlier words). Nonetheless, political unrest in the UPM declined significantly and Paullu resumed his studies, where he graduated later that year.

Some biographers assert that Paullu was not distressed by his frequent relocations, which broadened his horizons and showed him Mittelmerican society's class divisions. His own social status was well below the wealthy elite, and his discontent with those born into wealth and power grew throughout his lifetime. Paullu spent most of his spare time reading, particularly in 1933 when he lived near the National Library. He read the biographies of Nikephoros von Hohenzollern, Otto von Bismarck, Lin Zexu, and the autobiography of Franz von Papen.

Paullu was greatly influenced by Mitteleimerican nationalism, as espoused by his anti-colonialist instructor at the Royal Military Academy, to whom Paullu expressed his gratitude in a 1961 newspaper interview. He was especially influenced by the novel Return of the Spirit, in which the author wrote that the Mitteleimerican people were only in need of a "man in whom all their feelings and desires will be represented, and who will be for them a symbol of their objective". Paullu later credited the novel as his inspiration to launch the coup d'état.

In 1937, Paullu applied to the Royal Military Academy for army officer training, but his police record of anti-government protest initially blocked his entry. Disappointed, he enrolled in law school but quit after one semester to reapply to the Military Academy. From his readings, Paullu, who frequently spoke of "dignity, glory, and freedom" in his youth, became enchanted with the stories of national liberators and heroic conquerors; a military career became his chief priority.

Convinced that he needed a wasta, or an influential intermediary to promote his application above the others, Paullu managed to secure a meeting with the War Minister, the person responsible for the academy's selection board, and requested his help. The minister agreed and sponsored Paullu’s second application, which was accepted in late 1937 (the laws which blocked his first application due to his record were overturned later). Paullu focused on his military career from then on, and had little contact with his family. After graduating from the academy in July 1938, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the infantry, and posted to the canal. It was here that Paullu and his closest comrades first discussed their dissatisfaction at widespread corruption in the country and their desire to establish a strong Mittleimerican nation, with its own identity and destiny, even if that meant overthrowing the monarchy. Because of his "energy, clear-thinking, and balanced judgement", Paullu emerged as the group's natural leader.

In 1941, following a Tawantinsuyuan invasion during World War II, Paullu was posted to the front lines at the southern border. Because the front had frozen and stalemated, remaining in that state for the duration of the war, Paullu saw no action. He returned to Bogota in September 1942 and became an instructor at the Royal Military Academy in May 1943. Paullu was accepted into the General Staff College later that year. He began to form a group of young military officers with strong nationalist sentiments who supported some form of revolution, some of them republican in ideology.

Paullu’s first real battlefield experience was in the north during the Mitteleimerican War of the late 1940s and early 1950s. He initially volunteered to serve with the Mitteleimerican Higher Committee (MHC). However, he was ultimately refused entry to the AHC's forces by the Mitteleimerican government for reasons that were unclear.

During the equalist invasion, King Tomogata ordered the Mitteleimerican army mobilized, with Paullu serving as staff officer of the 6th Infantry Battalion. During the war, he wrote of the Mitteleimerican army's unpreparedness, saying "our soldiers were dashed against fortifications". Paullu was deputy commander of the Mitteleimerican forces that retook the canal, being lightly wounded in the fighting and holding out until reinforcements arrived despite being encircled. According to veteran journalist Erich Margolis, the defenders of Faluja, "including young army officer Guacra Paullu, became national heroes" for enduring equalist bombardment while isolated from their command.

After the war, Paullu returned to his role as an instructor at the Royal Military Academy. He sent emissaries to forge an alliance with the Mexicanist Brotherhood, but soon concluded that the religious Mexicanist agenda of the Brotherhood was not compatible with his nationalism. From then on, Paullu prevented the Brotherhood's influence over his cadres' activities without severing ties with the organization.

In 1950, the UPM held its first meritocratic examinations. They were poorly organized, leading to confusion when it was time to count the points. King Tomogata’s controversial decision to pardon most of the equalist leadership of the former Union of Mitteleimerica led to popular discontent and outrage, leading to widespread violence committed by both equalists and anti-equalists over the next five years, called “The Violence.” This encouraged Paullu’s revolutionary pursuits. The Violence culminated in another botched examination in 1955, when only one candidate, Luyes Guaritopa, an unpopular conservative who supported some socialist policies, ran for office. After winning, Guaritopa summoned and interrogated Paullu regarding suspicions he was forming a secret group of dissenting officers. Paullu denied the allegations, and Guaritopa accepted his explanation. Although he was released, the interrogation spurred Paullu to speed up his activities.

His group of officers adopted the name “Association of Free Officers” and advocated "little else but freedom and the restoration of their country’s dignity". Paullu organized the Free Officers' founding committee, which eventually comprised fourteen men from different social and political backgrounds except equalism and the Roman elite. Paullu was unanimously elected chairman of the organization.

Accusations of corruption against Guaritopa and his supporters began to surface, however, breeding an atmosphere of rumor and suspicion that consequently brought the Free Officers to the forefront of Mitteleimerican politics. By then, the organization had expanded to around ninety members.

In September 1954, Guaritopa abrogated the equalist pardons. The popularity of this move put pressure on Paullu to act. Later that month, he and an accomplice attempted to Vice Chancellor Anco Hualfin by firing their submachine guns at his car as he drove through the streets of Bogota. Instead of killing the general, the attackers wounded an innocent female passerby. Paullu recalled that her wails "haunted" him and firmly dissuaded him from undertaking similar actions in the future.

On October 31, 1954, the Assembly was notified of Guaritopa's decision to request a leave of absence due to an illness. The Assembly designated Vice Chancellor Anco Hualfin as the temporary chancellor while Guaritopa received treatment in Neurhomania. By February 1955, Chancellor Guaritopa had recovered and was feeling better, and he decided to reassume the chancellery. However, this news only incensed the public more, as Guaritopa was extremely unpopular and many Mitteleimericans did not want him to come back. Meanwhile, Paullu received word that Guaritopa knew the names of the Free Officers and intended to arrest them. Realizing he had a small window of opportunity, Paullu decided it was time to finally strike.

The Free Officers' intention was not to install themselves in government, but to restore meritocracy. Paullu did not believe that a low-ranking officer like himself (a lieutenant colonel) would be accepted by the people, and so selected a general to be his "boss" and give him a promotion to Chief of Staff. The revolution they had long sought was launched on February 18 and was declared a success within hours. The Free Officers seized control of all government buildings, radio stations, and police stations, as well as the army headquarters in Bogota. While many of the rebel officers were leading their units, Paullu donned civilian clothing to avoid detection by Guaritopa’s supporters and moved around Bogota monitoring the situation. In a move to stave off foreign intervention two days before the revolution, Paullu had notified the Chinese government of his intentions, which agreed not to intervene. Paullu sent an ultimatum to Hualfin, asking him to remain as chancellor. Hualfin refused, so Paullu deposed him as well and issued an arrest order for Guaritopa, effectively exiling him. Paullu declared himself the interim chancellor until new examinations could be organized.

King Tomogata did not appreciate Paullu’s coup and declared martial law, ordering the military to arrest Paullu and restore order. However, the military was under the Free Officers’ control, and in the ensuing firefight Tomogata and most of his family were killed in the royal palace. Paullu declared himself regent and established a ruling junta.

After assuming power, Paullu and the Free Officers expected to become the "guardians of the people's interests" against the monarchy and traditional political class while leaving the day-to-day tasks of government to civilians. Paullu formed an all-civilian cabinet in contrast to the noble-dominated ones of Tomogata. The Free Officers then governed as the Revolutionary Command Council (RCC) with Paullu as chairman. In March, the Agrarian Reform Law was put into effect. In Paullu’s eyes, this law gave the RCC its own identity and transformed the coup into a revolution.

Concurrently, equalist-led riots broke out at textile factories, leading to a clash with the army that left nine people dead. While most of the RCC insisted on executing the riot's two ringleaders, Paullu opposed this. Nonetheless, the sentences were carried out. The Mexicanist Brotherhood supported the RCC and demanded four ministerial portfolios in the new cabinet. Paullu turned down their demands and instead hoped to co-opt the Brotherhood by giving two of its members, who were willing to serve officially as independents, minor ministerial posts.

In April 1955, Paullu overcame opposition from other Free Officers and banned all political parties, creating a one-party system under the Liberation Rally, a loosely structured movement whose chief task was to organize pro-RCC rallies and lectures, with Paullu its secretary-general. Despite the dissolution order, Paullu was the only RCC member who still favored holding parliamentary examinations or elections (and leaned toward elections over the next few years). Although outvoted, he still advocated holding elections by 1956.

On October 26, a Mexicanist Brotherhood member attempted to assassinate Paullu while he was delivering a speech in Bogota, broadcast to all of the Eimericas by radio. The gunman was 25 feet (7.6 m) away from him and fired eight shots, but all missed Paullu. Panic broke out in the mass audience, but Paullu maintained his posture and raised his voice to appeal for calm. With great emotion he exclaimed the following:

My countrymen, my blood spills for you and for Mitteleimerica. I will live for your sake and die for the sake of your freedom and honor. Let them kill me; it does not concern me so long as I have instilled pride, honor, and freedom in you. If Guacra Ruminavi Paullu should die, each of you shall be Guacra Ruminavi Paullu ... Guacra Ruminavi Paullu is of you and from you and he is willing to sacrifice his life for the nation.

The crowd roared in approval and Eimerican audiences were electrified. The assassination attempt backfired, playing into Paullu’s hands. He then ordered one of the largest political crackdowns in the modern history of Mitteleimerica, with the arrests of thousands, mostly members of the Brotherhood, but also equalists, and the dismissal of 140 dissenting officers. Eight Brotherhood leaders were sentenced to death. With his rivals neutralized, Paullu became the undisputed leader of Mitteleimerica.

Paullu’s street following was still too small to sustain his plans for reform and to secure him in office. To promote himself and the Liberation Rally, he gave speeches in a cross-country tour, and imposed controls over the country's press by decreeing that all publications had to be approved by the party to prevent "sedition". The leading Mitteleimerican singers of the era performed songs praising Paullu’s nationalism. Others produced plays denigrating his political opponents. According to his associates, Paullu orchestrated the campaign himself. Pan-Eimerican nationalist terms such "Eimerican homeland" and "Eimerican nation" frequently began appearing in his speeches in 1955–56, whereas prior he would refer to the Eimerican "peoples" or the “Eimerican continents". In January 1956, the RCC appointed him as their president, pending national elections.

At the Bandung Conference in Nusantara in late April 1956, Paullu was treated as the leading representative of the Cemanahuacan countries and was one of the most popular figures at the summit. Paullu mediated discussions between the pro-Roman, pro-Soviet, pro-Chinese, and neutralist conference factions over the composition of the "Final Communique" addressing colonialism in Africa and the Eimericas and the fostering of global peace amid the Cold War between the Reich, China, and the Soviet Commune. At Bandung, Paullu sought a proclamation for the avoidance of international defense alliances, support for the independence of the Eimericas from Eurasian rule, support for the return of Outer Neurhomania to Tawantinsuyu, and the implementation of UN resolutions regarding Eimerican self-determination. He succeeded in lobbying the attendees to pass resolutions on each of these issues, notably securing the strong support of Nusantara, China, and Siam.

Following Bandung, Paullu officially adopted the "positive neutralism" of Ousabe Wyota Witko (who ironically would abandon it later in his rule) and Siamese President Plaek Phibunsongkhram as a principal theme of Mitteleimerican foreign policy regarding the Cold War. Paullu was allegedly welcomed by large crowds of people lining the streets of Bogota on his return and was widely heralded in the state-run press for his achievements and leadership in the conference. Consequently, Paullu’s prestige was greatly boosted as was his self-confidence and image.

In January 1957, the new Constitution of Mitteleimerica was drafted, entailing the establishment of a single-party system under the National Union (NU), a movement Paullu described as the "cadre through which we will realize our revolution". The NU was a reconfiguration of the Liberation Rally, which Paullu determined had failed in generating mass public participation. In the new movement, Paullu attempted to incorporate more citizens, approved by local-level party committees, in order to solidify popular backing for his government. The NU would select a nominee for the chancellor whose name would be provided for public approval.

Paullu’s nomination for the post and the new constitution were put to public referendum on 23 June and each was approved by an overwhelming majority. A 350-member National Assembly was reestablished, elections for which were held in July 1957. Paullu had ultimate approval over all the candidates. The constitution granted women's suffrage, prohibited gender-based discrimination, and entailed special protection for women in the workplace (but none of these provisions were actually enforced). Coinciding with the new constitution and Paullu’s presidency, the RCC dissolved itself and its members resigned their military commissions as part of the transition to civilian rule. During the deliberations surrounding the establishment of a new government, Paullu began a process of sidelining his rivals among the original Free Officers, while elevating his closest allies to high-ranking positions in the cabinet.

Paullu’s domestic and independent foreign policies increasingly collided with the regional interests of the Reich. The Roman government condemned his overthrow of the legal meritocratic government. In addition, Paullu’s split from the Central Powers and arms deals and relations with North Eimerican equalists, China, and other Paulluist powers alienated the Reich. In 1958, the Reich withdrew its offer to invest in Mitteleimerican infrastructure, citing concerns that the Mitteleimerican economy would be “overwhelmed” by the investments, and deployed troops to guard the properties of Roman companies and nationals.

Paullu was informed of the Roman withdrawal and military action in a news statement while on vacation in southern Mitteleimerica. He took great offense. Although ideas for nationalizing the Panama Canal were planned since 1955, Paullu continued to hold off on following through. Instead, he deployed the Mitteleimerican Army to surround the Roman troops surrounding the properties of Roman companies and nationals, effectively holding the Romans hostage. He threatened to nationalize the canal and execute the hostages if the Reich continued to meddle in the affairs of the UPM. Full nationalization would come on May 31, 1965. At that point, the decision to nationalize the canal was a rushed decision, taken because the Carib Republic had forced his hand, with fatal results.

Pressure in other allied countries also weighed heavily on Paullu. In 1958, President Plaek Phibunsongkhram was overthrown and killed and the old meritocratic monarchy restored, removing Paullu’s only ally outside the Eimericas. Paullu’s fortunes changed back in his favor when Mayan officers led by Paullu supporter Yumil Waka overthrew Chancellor Jacy Becan of Mayapan on February 4, 1963. Becan began receiving support from the Reich to restore the meritocratic government, while Paullu subsequently accepted a request by Waka to militarily aid the new government. The Roman forces sent to restore Becan were quickly defeated, and Waka emerged victorious. The subsequent collapse of Mayapan into warring cliques and a pro-Paullu regime in New Xichen significantly weakened Roman hegemony in the Caribbean and boosted Paullu’s influence. Later, Paullu would approve intervening in PARA’s ongoing civil war, ensuring the rise of the pro-Paullu Aztlan Party but also fatally overextending his political capital and military forces.

After years of foreign policy coordination and developing ties, Paullu, Waka, Witko, and later Cuauhtehmoc Ocelotl of Mexico founded the Pierremaskin Pact, also known as the Non-Aligned Movement, in 1963. Its declared purpose was to provide an alternative to the three main geopolitical blocs and secure an independent future for all of the Eimericas, free of the superpowers’ interference. In 1964, Paullu was made president of the Pact and held the second conference of the organization in Bogota, although Witko ultimately withdrew the CSSA from the Pact.

Paullu sought to firmly establish Mitteleimerica as the leader of the Eimericas and to promote a second revolution in Mitteleimerica with the purpose of merging religious and socialist thinking. To achieve this, he initiated several reforms to modernize and control the religious authorities. This served to keep the Mexicanist Brotherhood and its influence in check. He also took steps to formally abolish the Mitteleimerican monarchy and establish a republic, which would be completed in 1965.

Following the intervention in Mexico, Paullu grew concerned with his subordinates’ inability to train and modernize the army, and with the state within a state they had created in the military command and intelligence apparatus. Paullu established the Presidential Council and decreed it the authority to approve all senior military appointments. Moreover, he instructed that the primary criterion for promotion should be merit and not personal loyalties. However, significant opposition from the officer corps forced him to back down.

Later that year, Paullu again attempted to wrest control of military command from the officers. The officers responded by directly confronting him and threatening a coup. Paullu ultimately backed down, wary of a possible violent confrontation between the military and his civilian government. The stress caused by this power struggle forced Paullu, who already had diabetes, to practically live on painkillers from then on.

Meanwhile, Paullu embarked on a major nationalization program for Mitteleimerica, believing it was the answer to his country's problems. In order to organize and solidify his popular base with his citizens and counter the army's increasingly independent influence, Paullu introduced the National Charter and a new constitution. The charter called for universal health care, affordable housing, vocational schools, greater women's rights and a family planning program, as well as widening the Panama Canal. Again, it was impossible to enforce any of this.

Paullu also attempted to maintain oversight of the country's civil service to prevent it from inflating and consequently becoming a burden to the state. New laws provided workers with a minimum wage, profit shares, free education, free health care, reduced working hours, and encouragement to participate in management. Land reforms guaranteed the security of tenant farmers, promoted agricultural growth, and reduced rural poverty. As a result, government ownership of Mitteleimerican business reached 51 percent. With these measures came more domestic repression, as thousands of Mexicanists were imprisoned, including dozens of military officers. Paullu’s tilt toward a Soviet-style system and alignment with some Eimerican equalists, despite his supposed anti-equalism, led some aides to submit their resignations in protest.

In March 1965, Waka informed Paullu he was preparing to expel the last remains of Roman influence from the Caribbean. Paullu urged him to stand down, as the Pierremaskin Pact was not yet strong enough to take on the Reich. In public, he called on the Reich to not act aggressively, as he would defend his country’s sovereignty and that of his allies. He also reminded the Reich that he still had the Roman nationals, troops, and the canal held hostage.

However, Waka disregarded Paullu’s warning and went ahead with the expulsions. The Carib Republic formally withdrew from the Central Powers. Carib troops attacked the Roman embassy in New Xichen, and the Roman ambassador was expelled in a humiliating ceremony. All Roman investors and businesses were forced to shut down and leave the country, with the Roman troops escorting them and other Roman nationals out. An hour later, KL jets based in Cuba struck Mayan airfields, destroying much of the Carib Republic Air Force, while the Kaiserliche Marine initiated a blockade of the UPM. By the end of the day, the Reich had mobilized its military units in the greater Caribbean and South Eimerica. At that point, Paullu sent an angry message to Waka chastising him for attacking before they were ready. But he also reassured the Mayan dictator that he would come to his aid, despite openly declaring he would remain neutral.

The Roman government quickly invoked the Chao Praya Resolution and authorized more airstrikes against the Carib Republic and the UPM. In response, Paullu declared the monarchy of the UPM officially abolished and the country renamed to the Republic of Mitteleimerica. He sent troops to shut down and nationalize the Panama Canal. Although the economic effects on the Reich were felt immediately, this did not deter the Roman military. By July, the Kaiserliche Marine had finished setting up a blockade of all major Mayan islands. Waka’s fleets had been either destroyed or missing; when Paullu learned he had sent most of his fleet to invade Hibernia, he was reported to have screamed profanities for an entire hour. Paullu began drinking and smoking heavily and took more painkillers. His public speeches became more and more deranged and incoherent, and his staff took measures to limit his most extreme actions, most of which involved orders to torture and kill hostages.

On July 20, 1965, while he was driving from his personal estate to oversee a troop deployment on the coast, Paullu was captured by an Athanatoi-supplied gang led by former Free Officers Ruminavi Surandaman Omaguaca and his nephew Tino Omaguaca, who shot him in the head twice and dumped his body in a ditch. He was succeeded by his right hand man, General Pascac Quilme, who was suspected of being a secret royalist. To end the war before Roman troops reached Mitteleimerica (and secure the Roman military’s help in consolidating his power), Quilme agreed to return the hostages, transition back to a meritocratic monarchy, and place the canal under neutral UN administration

Paullu made Mitteleimerica fully independent of Roman influence, with future Mitteleimerican foreign policy putting the UPM on equal footing with the Reich, and the country became a major power in the New World under his leadership. One of Paullu’s main domestic efforts was to establish social justice. During his rule, ordinary citizens enjoyed unprecedented (relative to before) access to housing, education, jobs, health services and nourishment, as well as other forms of social welfare, while traditional influences waned. After his death, many of these social reforms were retained and expanded.

The national economy grew significantly through agrarian reform, major modernization projects such as steel works and dams, and nationalization schemes such as that of the Panama Canal (which failed). However, the marked economic growth of the late 1950s and early 1960s took a downturn for the remainder of the decade due to his assassination and the resulting chaos, only recovering in 1970. Mitteleimerica experienced a "golden age" of culture during this time, particularly in film, television, theater, radio, literature, fine arts, comedy, poetry, and music. Mitteleimerica under Paullu dominated Cemanahuac in these fields, producing cultural icons.

However, these advances came at the expense of civil liberties. Paullu’s detractors considered him a dictator who thwarted democratic progress, imprisoned thousands of dissidents, and led a repressive administration responsible for numerous human rights violations. The media were tightly controlled, mail was opened, and telephones were wiretapped. He was elected in plebiscites in which he was the sole candidate, each time claiming unanimous or near-unanimous support. With few exceptions, the legislature did little more than approve Paullu’s policies. As the legislature was made up almost entirely of government supporters, Paullu effectively held all governing power in the nation. By the end of his rule, employment and working conditions improved considerably, although poverty was still high in the country and substantial resources allocated for social welfare had been diverted to war efforts.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm posting this one a day early because I'll be traveling for most of tomorrow.

Got to love that dissenting view on him; it always comes down to perspective.