Imperator - Development Diary - 1st of April 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since Barbarian strongholds are in impassable locations they cannot be directly interacted with, however the governor policy for Civilization Effort in an adjacent province can increase the civilization level in the stronghold's location, and eventually downgrade, and then remove the stronghold.
So once it's removed it never can come back even if your lands fall into decades long civil war, the bordering provinces pillaged and devoid of civilisation, the wastelands will keep being civilised enough to not spawn barbarians?

So, if I'm not mistaken, the last remaining parts of the maps to cover are the Alps and Northern Balkans. That's surprising, considering those areas are peripheric to Italy and/or Greece.

Interesting that you only added Barbarian strongholds to impassable provinces, rather than in every city outside of Greece ;)

Wusun did not live in that area during that era though. I said this somewhere else, but the Wusun only migrated into where you represented them around the 170 BCs.\
KYkC0B2.jpg

KYkC0B2

Like I know that area isn't the part you're focusing on, but the Wusun were basically in China at this point:

vPYXrQi.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting!

Looking forward to the 25th!

I'm curious how often the eastern , southern and northern regions will become civilized enough to stop spawnings Historically migrations from these regions outside the map never stopped and played an important part in reshaping the world as we know it. I really hope the pressure from these regions will intensify from time to time via event or game mechanics even if there is a lot of civilizing pressure.

What modifies which option "surrender" the barbarians will take? If I am a tribe of the same culture and religion as the neighboring barbarian horde, will they be more likely to accept settling? How fast could I increase in power if I left the neighboring barbarians unchecked?

that notification about barbarians is a little ugly, I hope it's condensed in the future so the message isn't split on so many lines.

also to give a good response, I'm glad Khotan and other places are represented. the fledgling Silk Road should be interesting to see in-game, as well as the spread of Buddhism into the "Silk Road" city-states and into the Mauryan regions. I wrote a small paper for a course on the spread of Buddhism on the Silk Road, so to play out some of this development in the same places I read about for that would be very nice. Hopefully these things are actually possible to happen in a realistic manner in-game

Hey, thanks for the DD.

I must say the barbarians part of it let me half convinced only.

I do get the point where the more civilized you are in a region, the less barbarian tribes will establish there or near, or develop themselves. As civilization gets its way, people get ... well... civilized. That's a point, no problem.

Hoooooweeeveeeeeer ... the more civilized, and eventually wealthy, you are, the more juicy target you are for barbarians also.

So. Is there some kind of a first backlash planned this way ? Like okay, you are bringing civilization but god your cities and palaces and merchants are so juicy that maybe they'll be number one targets of ultra-motivated barbarians on their last run ?