Imperator - Development Diary - 14th of January 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's 10, will update the post to say this :)
Overuse it and you may find yourself with a bit of a tyranny problem though....

Ah, 5 tyranny for 10 legitimacy sounds more than reasonable. I was afraid it would be like 30 legitimacy or something like that. Now Im hoping you dont dumb down the effects of tyranny (which we dont know what exactly are, except from the screenshots and gameplay available. I think it affects province unrest and character loyalty, but not how much per tyranny point or whether it affects anything else we dont know yet ;) ).

Keep it up! :)

Seleucid Empire: Great Macedonian Kingdom with the recently crowned Seleucus as king. While Seleucus and his son Antiochus has campaigned extensively among the Persian satrapies, replacing any disloyal governors with trusted men, the kingdom is a cosmopolitan mix of cultures and religions. Macedonian cities founded by Alexander remain interspersed with Chaldean, Persian and Bactrian subjects, most of whom know very little of politics in Seleucia Magna. The first decision that the Seleucid Empire will have to make is how to deal with the brewing conflict in the east. Historically Seleucus would sign away most of the eastern satrapies on the Mauryan border in exchange for a lasting peace and a high number of Indian War Elephants. Animals that played a decisive part when eventually defeating Antigonus troops in Phrygia. At the start of the game the Seleucid Empire will be faced with a similar choice, they can choose to sign away a large portion of land, for a long truce, or resume war with the huge Mauryan Empire in India.
Shoudn't Seleukos give his daughter in marriage too?

What if you have a child who is older than your sibling? This isn't uncommon in CK2 at least, so I assume the situation will arise in Imperator as well.

Also, how much legitimacy will that action give you for oratory power and tyranny? It sounds pretty cheap, and I don't want legitimacy to be something like in EU4, where it's just...irrelevant. It should matter. And can the cost of it or gain from it scale to the size of your empire (directly if cost, inversely if gain)? A quick speech might appease a city, but if you control all of Italy and beyond, it should be less effective.

Ninja Edit: you beat me to the punch of saying how much you get, but I'm standing by my belief that the cost or gain should scale in some capacity.

I assume that a successful unhappy heir, with their veteran mercenaries, may eventually come home...hopefully unit experience matters a lot, so that even a single army that went off like that can prove a very dangerous threat to large empires. And they keep the money from their adventuring, right? They have no reason to send it home, after all, except to bribe the populace and especially the armies.

On an unrelated note, I had hoped they would grow on me, but...am I the only one who still doesn't care for the character portraits? The style is just not working for me. It's such a dumb little thing, I know, and thankfully (presumably) mods will be able to fix it, but I just felt like I should mention it.
You are not the only one. I think its caused mostly by the lack of any fancy hats. Everyone knows that fancy hats are like 50% of good portrait.

Very disappointing DD. Some of succesion laws are completly wrong, CK2 had them done right, why change? Agnatic should allow only males to inherit not just give preference. Agnatic Cognatic should allow female to inherit only if there is no male heir. Those changes with how the succesion laws work in Imperator are ahistorical and confusing for people used to your previous titles. There is no reason to keep them like that.

Last edited:
Didn't know that was doctor, but the inclusion of doctors makes me think about something I've always wanted from CK2 but never got: will doctors who don't like your ruler, especially if unethical in some way...accidentally accelerate whatever ails you? Thus giving you a reason to have not only a competent physician, but one who is loyal to you as well?

Most shouldn't, since the Hippocratic oath had already been developed. But surely some would.
I'm not 100% on the translation, but there was a DD on the positions where they explained it. My issue is that it's a fantasy game where nobles will be grateful for being demoted to personal physician, and will serve the entire court. I've had more realism from Warhammer 40K and hope PDX fixes that position (Perhaps by removing it, perhaps by making it deeply insulting to nobles who will do as you say and murder the court for the injustice if appointed).

Was it different in ancient times?

Look at the coast of modern Iraq compared to this:
persis.png

What about Dictatorships? I presume they are just Monarchies, but just in case I wonder if they have anything unique to them in 1.0?

I'm really liking the mechanics of Monarchies! I think it will be more fun than Republics.
Other than that, when are we getting a dev diary for tribal governments? (and especially other Persians... need info on Sarmatia!)

Was it different in ancient times?

Aye, the coastline and just lower Mesopotamia has changed a fair bit over the past 2000 years, mainly in that the land area has expanded due to deposition of sediment by the Tigris and Euphrates in the delta. In modern times there has also been extensive draining of the marshes and I think also land reclamation.

What about Dictatorships? I presume they are just Monarchies, but just in case I wonder if they have anything unique to them in 1.0?

As of now there isnt such government form. There are only 3.

I think Dictatoriships will come in a Rome DLC later on. But I'd swear a saw in one of those exclusive gameplay access a screenshot about becoming a dictator. I may have dreamt it but I dont think so. But I do remember that it didnt change the government form. It was a roman republic feature and thus it wasn't for life. It just gave you some bonuses and increase the time of your mandate.

Did Dictatorships exist as a government form in that era now that I think about it?

Another thing - some monarchies should also have a senate! For example Sparta had Gerousia and Apella. It's disappointing that you just copied solutions from Eu: Rome. Those features may looked good in 2008 but now, after 10 years I would expect something more added to them.

Some questions:

1.) Can I do incest? I bet players will want to recreate the Ptolemy family tree. :D
2.) Can Monarchies turn into a republic?
3.) similarly can a republic turn into a monarchy?
4.) If I am a foreign realm can I support a potential successor to cause a civil war or get someone more aligned to me on the throne?

Did Dictatorships exist as a government form in that era now that I think about it?

No.Dictatorship is normal institution in Roman Republic when someone is granted special powers to resolve some kind of problems that would otherwise be hard to handle.

If I remember correctly it's confirmed that in Imperator one can have dictatorship granted by the senate and results are that for some time you don't need their approval for actions. I don't remember where I read it so I may be wrong.

In Eu: Rome dictatorships worked as monarchy and you needed to change government form to go back to Republic which required stab loss. That was quite stupid so I hope it won't work like this in Imperator.

Very happy that Assyrians will be playable. Seems like a gargantuan challenge but I'm definitely trying to restore the glory of Ashur at some point.

Look at that baby. I can see the lust for power in his eyes. He's going to kill all of the other pretenders, I just know it.